2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 906Likes

post #1951 of 2201 Old 06-02-2019, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumy View Post
I am based in HongKong, just visited Sony showroom and am surprised to see the price of 75" Z9F is 20% lower than 75" 950G, I thought they are both current year model and Z series should be a more premium higher end model?
I think it would be the Z9G. Z9F is last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 2201 Old 06-02-2019, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Oh... I didn't compare Z9G with x950G cause it is 8K.
post #1953 of 2201 Old 06-02-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentifrice View Post
I think it would be the Z9G. Z9F is last year.

The Z9F was released in September of last year, but it is considered superior to the 950G. For even the same price as the 950G, the Z9F is the better buy. The Z9F has always been substantially more expensive than the 950G in the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 2201 Old 06-02-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6394 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
Two days now with my X950G and calibrated to my liking. I’m so happy to have return the Vizio so this. Wow ! Superior in almost every ways. The blooming everyone is talking about is totally out of proportion. I need to be in pitch black room and even like this, it’s almost perfect. I changed the subtitles colours in my apps from bright white to grey or set the text semi-transparent.
Have heard this many, many, many times from guys taking back there Vizio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
The Z9F was released in September of last year, but it is considered superior to the 950G. For even the same price as the 950G, the Z9F is the better buy. The Z9F has always been substantially more expensive than the 950G in the US.
I wonder how long the Z9F will be out for, maybe 2.5 years like the Z9D?
post #1955 of 2201 Old 06-02-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So I just got my x950g hooked up with 1 HDMI cable from the HDMI ARC port to the HDMI ARC port in my pioneer receiver...but I can't get any sound to come out of the speakers. Need some help. Which source am I suppose to pick on my pioneer to receive the audio that the TV is sending out to it? thanks.
post #1956 of 2201 Old 06-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake99 View Post
So I just got my x950g hooked up with 1 HDMI cable from the HDMI ARC port to the HDMI ARC port in my pioneer receiver...but I can't get any sound to come out of the speakers. Need some help. Which source am I suppose to pick on my pioneer to receive the audio that the TV is sending out to it? thanks.
nevermind..I figured it out.
post #1957 of 2201 Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
I will give you my NEW settings once you get yours, just let me know. I too think it is good to try different peoples settings if you are not going to get professional calibration done. The hardest thing to get RIGHT on this set(without calibration) is the white balance. One thing you have to realize about this forum is, you have EXPERTS that are about nothing but accuracy and you have regular common folk/gamers who will eyeball their settings. While experts will chime in and help you out with what’s correct/incorrect, this helps you out with your settings. For example, I was previously using the neutral color temp for all my presets, but experts scolded me and convinced me to try expert1 instead. I am happy with expert1 now and realized how my pic had too much blue. However, now I have a bit of green tinted white balance that needs fixing. Which is why collaboration is important.

Ok. I got my new Sony TV and have it placed where it should be. This TV replaces my very first TV, the KDL XBR4. I don't use Android or any Google services, so I won't be spending much time on such features on my X950G. As someone else stated, the 950G picture is pretty good out of the box. Is it tweak time?
post #1958 of 2201 Old 06-02-2019, 06:14 PM

Anyone with an Apple tv 4k here ? I just realized that all my HDR movies played with Plex on ATV4K are way darker than from the internal plex app of the tv. Picture settings for both are the same and even boosting the gamma to the max on the apple tv doesn't get as bright as the value 0 of the internal app...
post #1959 of 2201 Old 06-03-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Anyone with an Apple tv 4k here ? I just realized that all my HDR movies played with Plex on ATV4K are way darker than from the internal plex app of the tv. Picture settings for both are the same and even boosting the gamma to the max on the apple tv doesn't get as bright as the value 0 of the internal app...

nevermind, playing with settings again and now it’s as bright.

On another subject, I still can’t believe how good the upscaling of my 1080i cable box is good VS the Vizio PQ65. Wow.

Last edited by Dentifrice; 06-03-2019 at 07:31 AM.
post #1960 of 2201 Old 06-03-2019, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Bailey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
I will give you my NEW settings once you get yours, just let me know. I too think it is good to try different peoples settings if you are not going to get professional calibration done. The hardest thing to get RIGHT on this set(without calibration) is the white balance. One thing you have to realize about this forum is, you have EXPERTS that are about nothing but accuracy and you have regular common folk/gamers who will eyeball their settings. While experts will chime in and help you out with what’s correct/incorrect, this helps you out with your settings. For example, I was previously using the neutral color temp for all my presets, but experts scolded me and convinced me to try expert1 instead. I am happy with expert1 now and realized how my pic had too much blue. However, now I have a bit of green tinted white balance that needs fixing. Which is why collaboration is important.

Ok. I got my new Sony TV and have it placed where it should be. This TV replaces my very first TV, the KDL XBR4. I don't use Android or any Google services, so I won't be spending much time on such features on my X950G. As someone else stated, the 950G picture is pretty good out of the box. Is it tweak time?
I will post my NEW settings once I get home. I am loving them so far as I have made some new tweaks. I’d say try them out for me and let me know what you do or don’t like about em. And you can always reset back to default but hopefully you won’t have to.
post #1961 of 2201 Old 06-03-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Have heard this many, many, many times from guys taking back there Vizio.

I wonder how long the Z9F will be out for, maybe 2.5 years like the Z9D?

There have been several reports that it is already in the process of being discontinued, so it may only last one year at best. It seems that the X950G will be the top Sony LCD that is affordable to more than 1-2% of the population ($13k Z9G is being excluded).
post #1962 of 2201 Old 06-03-2019, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Bailey View Post
Media Type: SDR
Model: 55"
Picture Mode: Custom
Netflix Calibrated Mode: OFF
Light Sensor: OFF

Brightness: 15
Contrast: 96
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: OFF
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: OFF
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: OFF

Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temp.: Expert1
Adv. Color Temp: R-Gain.-5, G-Gain.-7, B-Gain.Max | R-Bias.0, G-Bias.0, B-Bias.6
Color gamma adjustment points: 1)1,1,-4 | 2)4,1,-3 | 3)5,4,-2 | 4)2,4,1 | 5)-1,2,-3
6)-1,0,-1 | 7)0,1,0 | 8)0,0,-2 | 9)0,0,0 | 10)3,1,2

Per color adjustment: Red:0,2,5 | Magenta:10,5,3 | Blue:2,5,0 | Cyan:1,6,1 | Green:7,7,2 | Yellow:2,0,1
Live Color: OFF

Clarity:
Sharpness: 28
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution: 34
Random Noise Reduction: LOW
Digital Noise Reduction: OFF
Smooth Gradation: LOW

Motion:
Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: 2
Clearness: 1
CineMotion: Auto

Last edited by allencc3; 06-04-2019 at 05:14 AM.
post #1963 of 2201 Old 06-03-2019, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menji87 View Post
My 75X950G arrived Saturday morning, and I’ve been fiddling with settings and thoroughly enjoying my set. It’s connected to an Onkyo TX-RZ830 using the E-arc function.
Straight out of the box I was impressed by it’s picture quality and ease of connectivity. My PS4 pro automatically synced with the Tv and remote.
I love the color accuracy and true intended picture when watching movies. I look forward to having put 200 hours on it, for my geek squad calibration.

I am incredibly glad to confirm that all the negative comments about this tv are just from those unaware of how to tweak their own sets, and those that don’t even own one.
The blacks are absolutely great, but you just have to adjust the black level out of the box since it’s set too high to begin with.
I have zero blooming with subtitles when watching in a pitch black room. Stars in Interstellar are very much there, so no star cursing either.
The reflections are NOT horrible. They are not as good as on the Q90R, but I’ve also never seen anti-glare like on the new Samsung.
Gaming on this set has been a lot of fun. Using HDR really makes the immersive experience fantastic.
Everything is smooth on this tv, and I couldn’t be happier. If anyone has questions feel free to ask!
I might exchange this set for the 85” since I no longer have worry with all the negative reviews being a farce.

Are you able to show a picture of the subtitles in a dark room? I’m not sure if it will come across correctly in a picture, but I’m curious to see. I am thinking about the 75” but all I hear about that model is it has horrible blacks due to the X-Wide technology and blooming. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1964 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Two days now with my X950G and calibrated to my liking. I’m so happy to have return the Vizio so this. Wow ! Superior in almost every ways. The blooming everyone is talking about is totally out of proportion. I need to be in pitch black room and even like this, it’s almost perfect. I changed the subtitles colours in my apps from bright white to grey or set the text semi-transparent.

The Vizio I had was a PQ65 and it supposed to be brighter than the X950G but I was unable to watch HDR movies during the day because it was too dimmed in dark scenes (even with back light to maximum). I’m starting to think it was defect or IDK because on my X950G, I even lower brightness of HDR during night, which I never did with vizio !
Good to hear your happy with your TV. Its great to read a good news post.
post #1965 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 08:27 AM

Liked: 8
Does anyone have an impression of the 75/85X950G? I was in the store and the 65" 850/900/950s were all together and the was a definite PQ improvement with each higher model. In another part of the store was the 75" 900 and 950. The 900 appeared to have better contrast and PQ. Is this due to the wide angle? If it is, since there was also an upgrade to the processor, extreme to ultimate. Will this affect upscaling? I am really interested in upscaling from DVD and Blu Ray. Will I see a difference say from the 900 to the 950. I am interested in the 85X950G. Source will be a Panasonic UB820.
post #1966 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menji87 View Post
The blacks are absolutely great, but you just have to adjust the black level out of the box since it’s set too high to begin with.

That sounds rather out of the ordinary for Sony. The Rtings and flatpanelshd reviews both suggest leaving the black level at the default, which is pretty typical for the Sonys I've seen. The brightness setting appears to be the backlight control based on the Rtings comments. The brightness should affect the light output of the entire picture, so brightness and gamma will likely determine how much near black you see for your room lighting.
post #1967 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, I've had my 75x950g for about a month now and I'm happy to report that I'm really liking this tv. The picture is fantastic. I ran into a super annoying issue few days ago. When a movie or show is changing scenes, there is a delay in displaying the correct lighting. I think it's hard to explain. Let's say there is a scene with two people engaged in a conversation, each time the shot goes from one person to another the lighting would not change in time and does a catch up to correct the lighting in the room.

This issue drove me nuts and I thought maybe I bought a defective set. After googling and playing around with all the settings I've finally discovered that this issue was caused by X-tended Dynamic Range in the advanced picture settings. It's really bad when it's set on high or med. A little better when set to low. I turn it off and it fixed the delayed lighting issue when changing scenes.

I hope this is helpful if anyone comes across this issue.
UltimateDisplay likes this.
post #1968 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 91
anything called X-tended gets turned off by me by default
post #1969 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My 65" x950g arrived today, looking forward to setting it up tonight and checking out some movies and games on it!
post #1970 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 92
@Silver_Surfer @UltimateDisplay

I may be wrong but shouldn't X-tended Dynamic Range be off for SDR but on for HDR?

I don't own the television yet but I have been following along closely since its release.

Spoiler!
post #1971 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
Hey guys, I've had my 75x950g for about a month now and I'm happy to report that I'm really liking this tv. The picture is fantastic. I ran into a super annoying issue few days ago. When a movie or show is changing scenes, there is a delay in displaying the correct lighting. I think it's hard to explain. Let's say there is a scene with two people engaged in a conversation, each time the shot goes from one person to another the lighting would not change in time and does a catch up to correct the lighting in the room.

This issue drove me nuts and I thought maybe I bought a defective set. After googling and playing around with all the settings I've finally discovered that this issue was caused by X-tended Dynamic Range in the advanced picture settings. It's really bad when it's set on high or med. A little better when set to low. I turn it off and it fixed the delayed lighting issue when changing scenes.

I hope this is helpful if anyone comes across this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
anything called X-tended gets turned off by me by default
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynomyte View Post
@Silver_Surfer @UltimateDisplay

I may be wrong but shouldn't X-tended Dynamic Range be off for SDR but on for HDR?

I don't own the television yet but I have been following along closely since its release.
Yes. Off with SDR. Should be locked when in HDR if I remember correctly.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1972 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^

I'm not sure if it should be on or off. I've read conflicting things. X-tended dynamic range is Sony's version of HDR or something. In any case, I'm glad I found a solution otherwise I might have punched a hole through this TV. It's staying OFF now that's for damn sure.
post #1973 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
That sounds rather out of the ordinary for Sony. The Rtings and flatpanelshd reviews both suggest leaving the black level at the default, which is pretty typical for the Sonys I've seen. The brightness setting appears to be the backlight control based on the Rtings comments. The brightness should affect the light output of the entire picture, so brightness and gamma will likely determine how much near black you see for your room lighting.
Default 50 is accurate. Default brightness is not. Mine is set to 5 in SDR mode.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1974 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need amp/ TV connection advice with ARC HDMI.

I need some very quick set up advice. I just had to replace my Onkyo amp and my LG tv (long story).

I have an Onkyo TX-RZ630 coming tomorrow, and a Sony XBR55X950G TV ready to go. In my old set up the HDMI cable from the satellite DVR went to the Onkyo amp (which powers 7.1 speakers) and then the monitor HDMI out from the Onkyo went to the LG TV. However, both the Sony TV and the new Onkyo amp support (and in the case of the TV, have a special port for) ARC connections (Sony calls it E-Arc/Arc... the same thing?).

So my question is: HDMI cable from DVR to Onkyo, then HDMI cable from Onkyo to TV, as before (and best to use the Sony's ARC HDMi port for this?) OR better to go HDMI cable from DVR directly to one of the Sony TV's HDMI ports then an HDMI cable from the Arc/ARC HDMi port back to the amp? The latter sounds strange to me.

I'll post this in the Display forum as well.

Thanks.
post #1975 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

The Vizio I had was a PQ65 and it supposed to be brighter than the X950G but I was unable to watch HDR movies during the day because it was too dimmed in dark scenes (even with back light to maximum). I’m starting to think it was defect or IDK because on my X950G, I even lower brightness of HDR during night, which I never did with vizio !
The AVforums review of this TV shows A LOT of blooming in HDR, so it's not out of proportion. Actually, the review is quite bad.

Dolby Vision still very dark, unstable smart TV OS, color gamut not enough.

All my fears turned out to be true...

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
post #1976 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 418
There is no need to change the way you have it connected (HDMI from DVR to Onkyo, then HDMI from Onkyo to TV) for watching TV broadcasts using the satellite DVR (i.e., no need for eARC for doing that). eARC is needed if you stream from the TV and want to get the audio to your Onkyo (for example, streaming Netflix directly from the TV app, not using your DVR). You can connect the audio from the TV to the Onkyo by using an HDMI cable from an eARC HDMI port on the TV (assuming the Onkyo is eARC compatible). Alternatively, you can pass audio from the TV to the Onkyo using an optical cable.
post #1977 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks, Bill. So just one HDMI cable from DVR to amp obviously, and one between the amp and the TV, using the ARC HDMI ports.

Thank you.
post #1978 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Buy One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
The AVforums review of this TV shows A LOT of blooming in HDR, so it's not out of proportion. Actually, the review is quite bad.

Dolby Vision still very dark, unstable smart TV OS, color gamut not enough.

All my fears turned out to be true...

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
Please go back to the Philco Forum. You don’t even own a 950.
Mikejl, Iluv4k and Dentifrice like this.
post #1979 of 2201 Old 06-04-2019, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I've had this TV for 2 months now. Works flawlessly. No issues or hiccups.

The blooming will always be there on dark scenes you can lower the x-tended range to mitigate it.

I use this TV for a computer monitor in a bright room so the blooming is a non-issue.

No regrets. Love the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noragrets.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	2576104  
Dentifrice and Workingtitle7 like this.
post #1980 of 2201 Old 06-05-2019, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Did anyone ever end up counting the zones on the 55 in. size? I know 60 is the count on the 65 in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page