2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1000Likes

post #1981 of 2597 Old 06-05-2019, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 2093
OT bickering removed. If you are not an owner or prospective owner, this is not the thread for you.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2597 Old 06-05-2019, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

After a week with my set calibrated by Robert Busch who works with/for Dolby Vision, these are my impressions:

1. OS: Whereas my 940C used to crash all of the time, the 950G has not crashed once.
2. WIFI connected and has not been an issue.
3. I don't use TV speakers, but when I tried them once when setting up my antenna, they were no worse than any other TV speakers.
4. SDR and HDR calibrated perfectly and easily using CALMAN. There is some blooming/light bleed in HDR into the black bars when a high luminance object is near the bar, but only then. It is not that bad, nor do I find it distracting. Robert and I noted it, and it could be addressed with a firmware update.
5. Dolby Vision: I have used the internal VUDU app, the VUDU app on my Apple TV, and my Oppo 203. I do not, nor did Robert, find Dolby Vision to be inaccurate. I have watched Harry Potter 7, Crimes of Grindelwald, Bumblebee just to name a few, and have found the picture to be quite pleasing. At no time have I struggled to make out the picture or details.

I am not a post pictures person, but I will when I get a chance.

S~
rynomyte and Thrust-Bot like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1983 of 2597 Old 06-05-2019, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
After a week with my set calibrated by Robert Busch who works with/for Dolby Vision, these are my impressions:

I may have missed it, but is your 950G also a 75" like your previous set in your signature?

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2597 Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
I may have missed it, but is your 950G also a 75" like your previous set in your signature?
No. This is the 65" that replaced the 850A in my bedroom. 940C is still going, and got a touch up while Robert was here taking care of the 950.

S~

post #1985 of 2597 Old 06-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No. This is the 65" that replaced the 850A in my bedroom. 940C is still going, and got a touch up while Robert was here taking care of the 950.

S~

Roger. Wondered if those were thoughts on a set with the X-Wide. Answered that.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #1986 of 2597 Old 06-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Roger. Wondered if those were thoughts on a set with the X-Wide. Answered that.
If I had to replace the 940C, I would look into the 85".

S~

post #1987 of 2597 Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

1. OS: Whereas my 940C used to crash all of the time, the 950G has not crashed once.
3. I don't use TV speakers, but when I tried them once when setting up my antenna, they were no worse than any other TV speakers.
4. SDR and HDR calibrated perfectly and easily using CALMAN. There is some blooming/light bleed in HDR into the black bars when a high luminance object is near the bar, but only then. It is not that bad, nor do I find it distracting. Robert and I noted it, and it could be addressed with a firmware update.
5. Dolby Vision: I have used the internal VUDU app, the VUDU app on my Apple TV, and my Oppo 203. I do not, nor did Robert, find Dolby Vision to be inaccurate. I have watched Harry Potter 7, Crimes of Grindelwald, Bumblebee just to name a few, and have found the picture to be quite pleasing. At no time have I struggled to make out the picture or details.

S~

this is a review that reflects my experience so far.
post #1988 of 2597 Old 06-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

S~
Forgot:

Motion handling: I have not had any issues with motion handling with either progressive or interlaced material. SOny always has had the best motion handling.

S~

post #1989 of 2597 Old 06-05-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6674 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
There have been several reports that it is already in the process of being discontinued, so it may only last one year at best. It seems that the X950G will be the top Sony LCD that is affordable to more than 1-2% of the population ($13k Z9G is being excluded).
Exactly, that is scary. We do not need to loose another TV manufacturer 850G are moved to warehouse stores, no upper mid tear TV...I don't know.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 06-05-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #1990 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can someone please share the model number of the remote?

Done a search in this thread but can't find it. It's probably hiding there somewhere!
post #1991 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
X950G & AG9 Remotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by >500 View Post
Can someone please share the model number of the remote?

Done a search in this thread but can't find it. It's probably hiding there somewhere!
Remote that comes with XBR X950G and A9G is Sony # RMF-TX600U. Also marked FCC ID: MG3-TX600U and IC: 2575A-TX600
U. It uses two AAA batteries.
>500 likes this.
post #1992 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OooAhh View Post
Remote that comes with XBR X950G and A9G is Sony # RMF-TX600U. Also marked FCC ID: MG3-TX600U and IC: 2575A-TX600
U. It uses two AAA batteries.
Thanks so much!!
post #1993 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 75X950G arrived Saturday morning, and I’ve been fiddling with settings and thoroughly enjoying my set. It’s connected to an Onkyo TX-RZ830 using the E-arc function.
Straight out of the box I was impressed by it’s picture quality and ease of connectivity. My PS4 pro automatically synced with the Tv and remote.
I love the color accuracy and true intended picture when watching movies. I look forward to having put 200 hours on it, for my geek squad calibration.

I am incredibly glad to confirm that all the negative comments about this tv are just from those unaware of how to tweak their own sets, and those that don’t even own one.
The blacks are absolutely great, but you just have to adjust the black level out of the box since it’s set too high to begin with.
I have zero blooming with subtitles when watching in a pitch black room. Stars in Interstellar are very much there, so no star crushing either.
The reflections are NOT horrible. They are not as good as on the Q90R, but I’ve also never seen anti-glare like on the new Samsung.
Gaming on this set has been a lot of fun. Using HDR really makes the immersive experience fantastic.
Everything is smooth on this tv, and I couldn’t be happier. If anyone has questions feel free to ask!
I might exchange this set for the 85” since I no longer have worry with all the negative reviews being a farce.
lennyr and Dentifrice like this.
post #1994 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Recommended settings for sports?

Hi,

I picked up a 65" 950G last weekend. Coming from a 10+ year old 37", well I am pretty happy so far. Streaming on Netflix, Prime, etc. is great.

Thus far some sporting events I've watched look better than others. French Open Tennis was good. But I did have trouble getting the NBA Finals game last night to look decent. Zoomed views on free throws, etc. were good & crisp, but the picture looked pretty rough during the half court action. Perhaps it was the stream (I was using the internal YouTubeTV App).

Anyone else have a similar experience watching the game last night? Suggestions on the best settings for sports viewing?

Thanks in advance for any advice & suggestions.

g
post #1995 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
“Are you able to show a picture of the subtitles in a dark room? I’m not sure if it will come across correctly in a picture, but I’m curious to see. I am thinking about the 75” but all I hear about that model is it has horrible blacks due to the X-Wide technology and blooming. Thanks.”

I am using an iPhone for this thread which hasn’t proven to be annoying, but it’s also the only camera I have. The iPhone camera do the PQ no justice at all.

But as I’ve said, it has ZERO blooming when watching in a pitch black room, but as mentioned I dialled back the black level to get inky blacks while watching blu-Ray movies on my PS4 pro, or when watching Netflix in HD.
I also watch Bell satellite on 1080i. I do not have a 4K player, or any 4K sources, so I cannot say that there is no blooming in native 4k.

Playing games in HDR however is unbelievable. I honestly can’t understand the hate this set has gotten, or the misinformation spread regarding issues I have not seen at all.

The only reason I played it safe and got a 75” instead of the 85 is because I was on this thread and scared about all the issues repeatedly mentioned. Now that I know they’re mostly all exaggerating, or nitpicking... I might cancel my geek squad calibration and go with the 85”.
post #1996 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menji87 View Post
“Are you able to show a picture of the subtitles in a dark room? I’m not sure if it will come across correctly in a picture, but I’m curious to see. I am thinking about the 75” but all I hear about that model is it has horrible blacks due to the X-Wide technology and blooming. Thanks.”

I am using an iPhone for this thread which hasn’t proven to be annoying, but it’s also the only camera I have. The iPhone camera do the PQ no justice at all.

But as I’ve said, it has ZERO blooming when watching in a pitch black room, but as mentioned I dialled back the black level to get inky blacks while watching blu-Ray movies on my PS4 pro, or when watching Netflix in HD.
I also watch Bell satellite on 1080i. I do not have a 4K player, or any 4K sources, so I cannot say that there is no blooming in native 4k.

Playing games in HDR however is unbelievable. I honestly can’t understand the hate this set has gotten, or the misinformation spread regarding issues I have not seen at all.

The only reason I played it safe and got a 75” instead of the 85 is because I was on this thread and scared about all the issues repeatedly mentioned. Now that I know they’re mostly all exaggerating, or nitpicking... I might cancel my geek squad calibration and go with the 85”.
You shouldn't have to dial back the black levels. The default 50 is correct as long as the source is outputting the correct black levels. If you have a PS4 it's important to use the correct setting under "PS4 > Settings > Sound and Screen > Video Output Settings > RGB Range" This will affect the grey scale range whether it 0-255 or 16-135. Set you TV black leves to 50 and toggle the settings on the PS4 until blacks look black. Other wise the image will be incorrect. Some times tough movies and TV shows can have elevated blacks due to artistic or poor decisions when they "color graded" them and that's when I some times drop the black levels to around 48 but not much more than that or it will crush dark details, if it doesn't then there the source isn't properly set up.
alluringreality likes this.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
post #1997 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 93
by the way where in the menus is the 0-255 // 16-135 settong on the 950G itself ?
post #1998 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ordered my 75” today. so excited replacing the 65” curved samsung ju6700. moving that up to guest bedroom. What 4k blu ray player is the best? Picture is before the upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1999 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
by the way where in the menus is the 0-255 // 16-135 settong on the 950G itself ?
On my ZF9 it's under Settings > Picture > Advanced Settings > Video Options > HDMI video range...
UltimateDisplay likes this.

post #2000 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
You shouldn't have to dial back the black levels. The default 50 is correct as long as the source is outputting the correct black levels. If you have a PS4 it's important to use the correct setting under "PS4 > Settings > Sound and Screen > Video Output Settings > RGB Range" This will affect the grey scale range whether it 0-255 or 16-135. Set you TV black leves to 50 and toggle the settings on the PS4 until blacks look black. Other wise the image will be incorrect. Some times tough movies and TV shows can have elevated blacks due to artistic or poor decisions when they "color graded" them and that's when I some times drop the black levels to around 48 but not much more than that or it will crush dark details, if it doesn't then there the source isn't properly set up.
Are you speaking from experience or just common TV do's/dont's? I am asking because the 900E/F had higher contrast ratio which made the blacks look a lot better. This set has lower contrast ratio which make the black look not as good as previous sets. With this being said, should the same rules apply to this set even though there is a very noticable difference between the two sets while black level is set to 50? When I do my black crush test, I can drop black level to 48 and still have zero black crush while gamma is at its default.
post #2001 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
Are you speaking from experience or just common TV do's/dont's? I am asking because the 900E/F had higher contrast ratio which made the blacks look a lot better. This set has lower contrast ratio which make the black look not as good as previous sets. With this being said, should the same rules apply to this set even though there is a very noticable difference between the two sets while black level is set to 50? When I do my black crush test, I can drop black level to 48 and still have zero black crush while gamma is at its default.
It largely depends on the source materials black level and the source device (xbox ps4, pc, etc) RGB level out put settings. But the default 50 at least on my ZF9, tested with a lot of patters, is for sure the correct setting for my TV and X950G is so close in terms of design it should be the same, but feel free to set it to what looks good to you, just know that if you have the source device set properly with good and correctly mastered content then there shouldn't be a reason to lower the black level.
But, I've noticed a lot of TV shows have slightly elevated blacks, maybe it's a conscious decision to make them look good on OLEDS that naturally crushes black a bit and on lower end TV's, just speculating here though. Even in some great movies black levels can fluctuate between scenes. The mastering are done by humans and with varying monitors and setups, not all of them are going to do a proper good job all the time.

post #2002 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
It largely depends on the source materials black level and the source device (xbox ps4, pc, etc) RGB level out put settings. But the default 50 at least on my ZF9, tested with a lot of patters, is for sure the correct setting for my TV and X950G is so close in terms of design it should be the same, but feel free to set it to what looks good to you, just know that if you have the source device set properly with good and correctly mastered content then there shouldn't be a reason to lower the black level.
But, I've noticed a lot of TV shows have slightly elevated blacks, maybe it's a conscious decision to make them look good on OLEDS that naturally crushes black a bit and on lower end TV's, just speculating here though. Even in some great movies black levels can fluctuate between scenes. The mastering are done by humans and with varying monitors and setups, not all of them are going to do a proper good job all the time.
RTINGs said that the Z9F's contrast ratio is extremely low for a VA panel and recommend turning X-tended range to HIGH to make contrast acceptable. Of course this is due to X-Wide technology sadly. So, since the contrast ratio is not great, how would you achieve better blacks? Gamma, Black Level, or Black Adjust? Which one has the least impact on accuracy? I came from a 900E with 6534:1 contrast ratio to the 950G's 4833:1. The difference in contrast and PQ is very very noticable. However, I still want to attempt to get the 950G as close as I can to the 900E. This is the reason why people start trying out the settings that no one is really supposed to be using, like contrast enhancer.
post #2003 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post
RTINGs said that the Z9F's contrast ratio is extremely low for a VA panel and recommend turning X-tended range to HIGH to make contrast acceptable. Of course this is due to X-Wide technology sadly. So, since the contrast ratio is not great, how would you achieve better blacks? Gamma, Black Level, or Black Adjust? Which one has the least impact on accuracy? I came from a 900E with 6534:1 contrast ratio to the 950G's 4833:1. The difference in contrast and PQ is very very noticable. However, I still want to attempt to get the 950G as close as I can to the 900E. This is the reason why people start trying out the settings that no one is really supposed to be using, like contrast enhancer.
There really is nothing you can do, everything like contrast enhancer or lowering the black levels is introducing some other image problem that results in less accuracy. The display has a physical native contrast level that can only be some what alleviated by a very high led array count. In the case for ZF9 and X-wide and XDR and black levels, I'm actually very happy as long as we are not talking about difficult HDR content. In SDR I have my XDR set to Low, and blacks are GREAT, non to very very little blooming to speak of, but in HDR mode there is problems for sure in some cases. Though I'm in love with the wide viewing angles and will never by another TV without it. Everyone praises the contrast levels on TVs without the X-Wide but to me that presents another bigger problem when watching or playing dark content as the gamma is raised and contrast is lost towards the edges of the screen, revealing or over emphasizing things that should be very dark and shrouded are suddenly grey and very visible, I'm sitting 1~1.5 screen heights away from a 75" so the image degrades horribly towards the edges on my previous LCDs but with ZF9 the blacks look the same over the entire screen, no raised gamma or blacks.

But back to the topic, all you can do is make sure the source is properly set and then I would say the default settings are really good in general, maybe lower the black levels a tad and lower the XDR in SDR content will help with blooming and black levels a bit. Contrast enhance is tempting but makes a lot of things look weird once you know how it should look, I would only use it temporarily if I'm watching content that has contrast problems part of it. Though I think it's quite okay to mess around with settings if you like the look but just know that they are skewing the "directors intent" and many times after you've dialed in some settings that looks good on the current source material suddenly they look incorrect on another material as one over compensated on the earlier material. Ideally you could have a calibrator come over and take a look as well.
lennyr likes this.

post #2004 of 2597 Old 06-06-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
There really is nothing you can do, everything like contrast enhancer or lowering the black levels is introducing some other image problem that results in less accuracy. The display has a physical native contrast level that can only be some what alleviated by a very high led array count. In the case for ZF9 and X-wide and XDR and black levels, I'm actually very happy as long as we are not talking about difficult HDR content. In SDR I have my XDR set to Low, and blacks are GREAT, non to very very little blooming to speak of, but in HDR mode there is problems for sure in some cases. Though I'm in love with the wide viewing angles and will never by another TV without it. Everyone praises the contrast levels on TVs without the X-Wide but to me that presents another bigger problem when watching or playing dark content as the gamma is raised and contrast is lost towards the edges of the screen, revealing or over emphasizing things that should be very dark and shrouded are suddenly grey and very visible, I'm sitting 1~1.5 screen heights away from a 75" so the image degrades horribly towards the edges on my previous LCDs but with ZF9 the blacks look the same over the entire screen, no raised gamma or blacks.

But back to the topic, all you can do is make sure the source is properly set and then I would say the default settings are really good in general, maybe lower the black levels a tad and lower the XDR in SDR content will help with blooming and black levels a bit. Contrast enhance is tempting but makes a lot of things look weird once you know how it should look, I would only use it temporarily if I'm watching content that has contrast problems part of it. Though I think it's quite okay to mess around with settings if you like the look but just know that they are skewing the "directors intent" and many times after you've dialed in some settings that looks good on the current source material suddenly they look incorrect on another material as one over compensated on the earlier material. Ideally you could have a calibrator come over and take a look as well.
This is very good to hear. And after reading this, I may just go back to using XDR for SDR. With XDR on, I can drop brightness down to 7. With it off, it needs to be at 15 if I am using Clearness 1(x-motion clarity). Having brightness at 15 increases blooming of course. Thanks for the feedback my friend.
JoelArt likes this.
post #2005 of 2597 Old 06-07-2019, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just received my X950G last night. I have a couple of issues.

We will start with the first one. I have a Playstation 4 Pro hooked up to the TV. I go to launch a 4k HDR enabled game. The system then tells me the game supports 4k HDR but there is a setting on the TV that will only allow it at 2k. Also under the display options inside the Pro, the last 4k option is stated as Unsupported. (2160p - RGB)

Also I do not see an option anywhere for Dolby Vision on my TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #2006 of 2597 Old 06-07-2019, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hi all,

So I'm now about to pickup a new Sony TV.

If the 950g and Z9F were exactly the same price which would you go for?
post #2007 of 2597 Old 06-07-2019, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
post #2008 of 2597 Old 06-07-2019, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicronic View Post
Hi all,

So I'm now about to pickup a new Sony TV.

Z9F and done.

post #2009 of 2597 Old 06-07-2019, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary Phoenix View Post
I just received my X950G last night. I have a couple of issues.

We will start with the first one. I have a Playstation 4 Pro hooked up to the TV. I go to launch a 4k HDR enabled game. The system then tells me the game supports 4k HDR but there is a setting on the TV that will only allow it at 2k. Also under the display options inside the Pro, the last 4k option is stated as Unsupported. (2160p - RGB)

Also I do not see an option anywhere for Dolby Vision on my TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does the X950G need to have the HDMI ports manually set to 'Enhanced'? The X900F does and it limits it otherwise.

The TV auto-detects a DV signal and changes mode.

post #2010 of 2597 Old 06-07-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicronic View Post
I've never seen the 65" Z9F, so I can't comment on it. I've seen the 75" Z9F, 950G, and 900F next to each other in decent lighting, which was between what I have in the day and night. I can't really say for sure, since dimmer lighting or darker content would really be needed for me to decide, and my opinions are likely colored by US pricing. If the price was the same on the 75" Z9F, I might be tempted to buy it with the hopes that the dimming might be better. I live in the US, so that isn't the current pricing, and personally I'd probably buy a 77" OLED before considering the 75" Z9F at the current selling price.

They were running generally bright SDR content. My girlfriend thought the 900F looked the best of the three for what they were showing, and aside from a different loop on the prior visit that showed off the better dimming of the Z9F over the 900F, I couldn't come up with much to necessarily dispute that position. For bright SDR content in brighter lighting than I use at night, I probably wouldn't have been able to determine which was the 75" Z9F or 950G in a blinded test, since they looked extremely similar to me. Since I don't plan on watching a lot of HDR content, my takeaway was basically that the 75" 950G seemed like a decent deal by comparison, although it's possible it could also be beaten in a dimming comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page