2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 973Likes

post #2101 of 2503 Old 06-21-2019, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 15
could someone please tell me how to get to the menu to see how many powered on minutes there are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2503 Old 06-21-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6583 Post(s)
Liked: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by manis52581 View Post
Thanks for the input. I went to Best Buy and they had a 75" Q90R and the 85" 950G BUT they were on opposite sides of their wall of panels. The sales rep did a demonstration with the flash light turned on within his iPhone and pointed it at both screens and it was impressive how the Q90R showed a very small amount of reflection compared the 950G and a few other TV's that he did that demonstration on.

All in all it was a little difficult to get a good gauge of the two TV's being so far apart from each other in their showroom. The biggest things I took away are that both TV's looked great and the Q90R is a monster with reflection...
There is no wrong answer which makes the choice hard !

Quote:
Originally Posted by manis52581 View Post

I did have a 85" X900F in my home mounted for a few hours. I was a little surprised that the quality of the X900f seemed a little flimsy but that's probably a product of such a large panel. It did also have a surprising amount of glare while the TV was off BUT with the wide angle on the 950G I'm guessing that's reduced greatly and in fairness I'm nitpicking the X900F while it was turned off.
Nothing wrong with the build quality of the 900F, that is the best deal right now. The 90R is the best set as far as picture quality although the 85Z9G has owners but that will require about 125% more cash at the least......
post #2103 of 2503 Old 06-21-2019, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon F View Post
Been using the tv for a couple months and one of my biggest pet peeves right now is dealing with non-Sony Bravia sync components. The TV and soundbar just get screwy at times if I don’t manage powering each up manually in a certain sequence and it sucks.

Like my prior tv, a 2014 Sony set, was smart enough to recognize say...a Nintendo Switch powering on through one of its inputs. Thus the tv and soundbar followed suit, switching to the proper inputs and in seconds I’m playing only touching the controller.

Now? In 2019 with a brand new eARC supported X950G and ZF-9 Atmos soundbar? None of that.

I turn on the Switch. The TV stays off. The soundbar recognizes nothin.

So I turn on the tv and switch input. Ok.
Then I turn on the soundbar with a diff remote and switch to a proper input.

Now I adjust volume with my tv remote. Oh that does t work. I need the soundbar remote because this device isn’t Bravia-synced and because I manually turned on everything out of sync( possibly missing hdmi handshake window) all the Bravia sync components aren’t working proper either!).

So no on-screen display for volume through my soundbar(unless I reset and reboot everything). I fumble with a few different remotes just to adjust audio. If I switch to my Bravia-sync UHD player, it kind of works but unless I reset the sync it isn’t giving me full soundbar support.

It keeps happening and I hate it. I should mention that Bravia sync devices like my UHD player and PS4 work perfectly from power off state, but I just can’t seem to figure out the best way to get all my components working well with non-sync devices like Switch. Like turning on tv and bar simultaneously before the switch and whatnot. Just ugh...

My prior setup had none of these issues. Love the tv otherwise
I understand your frustration, especially because everything worked (better than it should have, frankly lol) with your old TV, but I do feel that you are expecting a bit much. If the device isn't a BraviaSync device, you can't really expect it to act like one, no? It is annoying when you "upgrade" but loose functionality, though.

So am I correct in assuming that, as long as you turn on the TV first, it will BraviaSync auto turn on the sound bar, and then all works well (TV remote controls soundbar volume and you get the soundbar's OSD on the TV)? So once the TV (and soundbar are on), you'd simply need to turn on the switch and play away? Is your switch hooked up to your soundbar or your TV? I'm guessing your TV for input lag.. but maybe not. If a tiny bit of input lag isn't a concern, have you tried hooking up the switch directly to the soundbar?

I recommend a Logitech Harmony remote. I love mine. Sure, I have to hold it for about 3-5 seconds and point it at my stuff (general direction) while it does it's thing.. but it's my only remote and it does everything I need it to!

BraviaSync, CEC, ARC, eARC (for now it seems).. they're all kind of a pain lol. I avoid them like the plague. But with 4K and not everyone wanting to upgrade their AVR's, it's something that's on many minds. I do wish you luck!

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2104 of 2503 Old 06-21-2019, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby5 View Post
could someone please tell me how to get to the menu to see how many powered on minutes there are?
https://www.askvg.com/secret-service...ony-and-lg-tv/

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #2105 of 2503 Old 06-21-2019, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
After 3 weeks, I am not regretting my purchase at all.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #2106 of 2503 Old 06-21-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
Thank you very much
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
post #2107 of 2503 Old 06-21-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
After 3 weeks, I am not regretting my purchase at all.

S~
Nor am I! Now if I lived in Europe where the Z9F is the same or lower price (I don't get it???) then absolutely I would have went Z9F but for my use the 950G fits the bill wonderfully.
CaptinCrunch and shoman94 like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #2108 of 2503 Old 06-22-2019, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hi all...

Quick and easy question (hopefully)

Currently have 65” z9f. Moving that into my office. Looking for new primary TV. Moderately lit room sitting 12 ft back.

1. 75” Z9F
2. 85” 950G
3 82” Q90r

Thanks for any opinions and help
post #2109 of 2503 Old 06-22-2019, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAsghar View Post
Hi all...

Currently have 65” z9f. Moving that into my office. Looking for new primary TV. Moderately lit room sitting 12 ft back.

1. 75” Z9F
2. 85” 950G
3 82” Q90r

2 or 3 for sure
post #2110 of 2503 Old 06-22-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 5069 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Hi all...

1. 75” Z9F

2. 85” 950G

3 82” Q90r

If you are pretty happy with your 65z9f you'll be even happier with the 75z9f. It is much improved.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #2111 of 2503 Old 06-22-2019, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Interesting. How was it improved over the 65”
post #2112 of 2503 Old 06-22-2019, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
I assume he is referring to "Bigger is Better!"
post #2113 of 2503 Old 06-22-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 5069 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
7.8 square inches per zone vs 18 square inches per zone. Much improved dimming and black levels.

CaptinCrunch likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #2114 of 2503 Old 06-22-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
7.8 square inches per zone vs 18 square inches per zone. Much improved dimming and black levels.

...or this ^^^
shoman94 likes this.
post #2115 of 2503 Old 06-23-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 6
question guys. I an the X950G and I'm thinking about getting the Sony HT-Z9F soundbar.

How should I configure the audio output settings on the tv to be sure I get passthrough with atmos and all ?

There is a setting called "Digital audio out" with 3 settings : auto 1, auto 2 and PCM. Which one ?

Then I need to enable eARC I suppose.

anything else to change ?
post #2116 of 2503 Old 06-23-2019, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
Ehhh. I'll preface by stating that I'm only an enthusiast and not a pro that regularly attends trade-shows / symposiums, but the general gist is that regular ole ARC was designed to replace the S/PDIF which is only capable of passing 5.1 bit-streams or 2.0 PCM. It's a bandwidth issue and ARC is designed around the same S/PDIF tech that optical/digital audio uses. Some equipment is supposedly capable of passing DD+ through ARC, but only in 5.1. At that point I ask.. what is the real difference between 5.1 DD and 5.1 DD+? The best practice when using ARC is to set everything to DD because that is what the tech was designed around.

I believe DD+ might have better compression algorithms which could theoretically allow more discreet channels per bandwidth, possibly allowing 7.1 to pass via ARC despite its bandwidth limitations, but that would absolutely come down to newer more sophisticated equipment and one would be very lucky IMO to have such.

The issue is that these things are a little complex, and there aren't any "standards" surrounding ARC other than the original HDMI 1.4 standard... which by now may have been improved upon by certain (but not all) manufacturers / models. Sometimes older receivers will even think they're getting DD+ through ARC when they aren't. Go figure. The only way to truly know is to have discerning ears and then test, yourself, by listening to your individual speakers. Most people can't even tell the difference between a matrix'd 7.1 signal and a true 7.1 signal, so it becomes difficult to know who is really getting what.

At the end of the day, it really depends (unfortunately) on your particular equipment because, again, there isn't really standardization.

I'm not calling you a liar by any means, but I'm very surprised if you were in fact getting 7 discreet (compressed) channels via ARC. I would be less surprised if you were getting a 5.1 signal that was up-mixed to 7.1 by your AVR. Even if the AVR said "DD+," it still could have been a 5.1 stream that was then upmixed to your additional speakers.
Wow thanks for all posts. I did try DD instead of DD+ but the intermittent ARC audio stutter was still happening. Have solved the issue with a new Amazon 18g HDMI cable . I thought my Sony "High Speed with Ethernet" cable would suffice as I was just using it for ARC audio to the AMP. I was wrong. Even after I re-enabled DD+, I haven't noticed the problem over the past few days.

Can't understand why the stutter sometimes didn't happen before (with the old cable), but now with audio working as it should, I'm less hurried to choose my new AV Receiver. Tempted to jump on a Pioneer LX-503, but now looking at a Yamaha RX-V2085 or maybe even a RX-A3080.

Watched some Marvel movies and even with 1080p source it was highly enjoyable on this TV. If you really look for it you can see some blooming at the end credit text (against black background) but really it's just nitpicking.
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
post #2117 of 2503 Old 06-25-2019, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Is there a way to create picture profiles for settings and apply them on the fly ? When I had my Vizio I could switch very fast between profiles but it seems on my X950G, settings are per HDMI input and you can't save the config and change quickly ?

With my Vizio I had an Xbox profile, Apple tv profile and cable box profile. Perfect when you have a receiver since all inputs enter the same HDMI port. But now, what to I do ? I need to change all settings every time I change the input on the receiver ???

If I only used basic picture mode that would be ok but for each one I case color settings, motion interpolation settings, etc... I can't change all that every time.

What's the secret when you have a receiver ?

Last edited by Dentifrice; 06-25-2019 at 01:08 PM.
post #2118 of 2503 Old 06-25-2019, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Talking Loving the 85"

I have had the TV about 3 weeks and absolutely love it. I purchased from Value Electronics and had them qc the panel, break it in and then calibrate it. Picture is fantastic and I'm glad I went with the 85" vs the 77 LG OLED. I am running an Anthem MRX 720, Panny 9000 UHD Blue ray and have a 5.1.2 set up with RSL CG 23's, Speedwoofer sub and their C34E in ceiling speakers for Atmos. I finished off the system with Hue Play backlighting that I set for daylight color. All controlled by Harmony Elite remote with my equipment behind the wall on a rack under my basement stairs on the unfinished side. No issues with remote and it works flawlessly. My family room TV is still my Elite Kuro 8G so I am coming from a Plasma for comparison.

Anyhow, the picture is fantastic and I would not hesitate to buy this TV again. I have had no issues so far. Blooming to me is insignificant and the reflection issue I don't have as the TV is in my finished basement with no windows shining on the TV. Sound with the RSL set up if fantastic and I've tested out the atmos on several movies (Saving Private Ryan and Blackhawk Down) and Atmos is cool. TV is also mounted on a Sanus full motion mount (VE install guys did a great job) and that makes making connections with wires a piece of cake. I have to say watching a 4k movie is awesome on this TV, makes my Kuro 60 Inch look like 40 inch TV to me now. A bonus with this setup btw is Alexa can control this as well. The US Open at Pebble Beach with the Direct TV 4k channel was fantastic. Detail was sharp as hell. I like the off axis viewing as I have nice L couch set up and a recliner off axis and I have sat many time on the recliner and feel no loss in pic quality vs sitting straight on. I have put my Band of Brothers Blu Ray and the picture looks equally stunning to me.

So if anyone is sitting on the fence this 85" is awesome and the Mrs who is not into electronics was like wow when she saw the picture. We've watched movies on Apple 4k as well and the pic looks great. So I'm pleased with the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58319300283__25F7260D-E665-49E8-8F40-C53808C59F95.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2584484  
post #2119 of 2503 Old 06-25-2019, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfepack View Post
I have had the TV about 3 weeks and absolutely love it. I purchased from Value Electronics and had them qc the panel, break it in and then calibrate it. Picture is fantastic and I'm glad I went with the 85" vs the 77 LG OLED. I am running an Anthem MRX 720, Panny 9000 UHD Blue ray and have a 5.1.2 set up with RSL CG 23's, Speedwoofer sub and their C34E in ceiling speakers for Atmos. I finished off the system with Hue Play backlighting that I set for daylight color. All controlled by Harmony Elite remote with my equipment behind the wall on a rack under my basement stairs on the unfinished side. No issues with remote and it works flawlessly. My family room TV is still my Elite Kuro 8G so I am coming from a Plasma for comparison.

Anyhow, the picture is fantastic and I would not hesitate to buy this TV again. I have had no issues so far. Blooming to me is insignificant and the reflection issue I don't have as the TV is in my finished basement with no windows shining on the TV. Sound with the RSL set up if fantastic and I've tested out the atmos on several movies (Saving Private Ryan and Blackhawk Down) and Atmos is cool. TV is also mounted on a Sanus full motion mount (VE install guys did a great job) and that makes making connections with wires a piece of cake. I have to say watching a 4k movie is awesome on this TV, makes my Kuro 60 Inch look like 40 inch TV to me now. A bonus with this setup btw is Alexa can control this as well. The US Open at Pebble Beach with the Direct TV 4k channel was fantastic. Detail was sharp as hell. I like the off axis viewing as I have nice L couch set up and a recliner off axis and I have sat many time on the recliner and feel no loss in pic quality vs sitting straight on. I have put my Band of Brothers Blu Ray and the picture looks equally stunning to me.

So if anyone is sitting on the fence this 85" is awesome and the Mrs who is not into electronics was like wow when she saw the picture. We've watched movies on Apple 4k as well and the pic looks great. So I'm pleased with the TV.
Many thanks for your post. I am also someone coming from an 8G Kuro and thinking going for this. Can you please comment on how black levels are in a completely dark room and how is blooming on subtitles with both HDR and SDR especially in dark scenes? Oh and is the increase in brightness coming from a plasma a problem on your eyes?

Thanks
post #2120 of 2503 Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppp1 View Post
Many thanks for your post. I am also someone coming from an 8G Kuro and thinking going for this. Can you please comment on how black levels are in a completely dark room and how is blooming on subtitles with both HDR and SDR especially in dark scenes? Oh and is the increase in brightness coming from a plasma a problem on your eyes?

Thanks
I have the backlighting like in my picture so it takes care of the brightness issue. With calibration done by VE I essentially have an ISF Day and Night so the brightness with the backlighting is a non issue. The Hue Play lights that are attached to the back of the TV actually enhance the contrast to your eyes and make the black's look very very good. Even without the lights on which I have done a few times to compare, the blacks to me look great. No complaints. I will have to check again on the subtitles.
post #2121 of 2503 Old 06-25-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Can this TV do 2560x1440 at 120 Hz?
post #2122 of 2503 Old 06-28-2019, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
change screen position setting

I recently swapped out an AF9 display/demo screen (another story) for this Sony 950G. It will not go to a full screen on some channels watching Cable. On many channels, at least a 1/2 of screen is black with no picture, making the top of the tv have a huge boarder.

Under the screen settings, there is no ability to adjust the position - all choices are grayed out.

I found this: http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanua...n_size_4k.html

which says that: "Wide Mode (This function is not available with an input signal resolution of 3840 × 2160.)"

I find this ridiculous. Is there any way around this issue? Possibly an update fix? I have the typical 15 day return to BB as it was delivered today.

Anyone else have this issue or can check their TV?

Thanks.

Samsung UN60H7150
Samsung LN46C650
Samsung LN40D630
Toshiba 65HM167
post #2123 of 2503 Old 06-28-2019, 05:43 PM

I've owned this tv for a few weeks now and with calibration, there is blooming on black with white titles. There isn't a problem for the most part during the action. I got this tv because it is doing what I wanted it for which is covering the brightness to the level I wanted, which is natural to me. Due to the mastering of different titles I have to have about 4 different profiles for SDR, hdr, and OTA. I haven't really tried setting Gaming yet. If there was no blooming on black with subtitles this tv would be just about perfect to me. Also, I don't think to adjust black levels to fix it is good. It just screws up everything else and just about puts me at square one to get what I'm looking for.
post #2124 of 2503 Old 06-28-2019, 09:10 PM
DrA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I am a Sony guy. I have a Projector in my HT, 900E, 930E and 85 inch 900F with 5 year BB warranty. They all have beautiful pictures, especially very bright 930E.
However, on 900 F I am very disappointed how dim DV looks and how UI got dim after latest firmware update to v6.6510. Also sometimes there's no sound when output through a Sony home audio system STR-DN1080 and Netflix has connection problems but 900E and 930E don't.
What are my chances of getting this replaced by 950G now because of the above mentioned problems or should I wait until BB don't have 900Fs anymore? Of course at the time of selling me the warranty the sales gentleman sounded like "if you have any problem just return it except because of a physical damage". But there is always the fine print part.
If it was a dead pixels problem, the warranty is clear. Return it and buy any other model you want if you pay the price difference for the upgrade.

When should I do it and how to a "guarantee" the exchange I want?
Please help me if you had an exchange experience.

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.

Last edited by DrA; 06-28-2019 at 09:58 PM.
post #2125 of 2503 Old 06-29-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I've owned this tv for a few weeks now and with calibration, there is blooming on black with white titles. There isn't a problem for the most part during the action. I got this tv because it is doing what I wanted it for which is covering the brightness to the level I wanted, which is natural to me. Due to the mastering of different titles I have to have about 4 different profiles for SDR, hdr, and OTA. I haven't really tried setting Gaming yet. If there was no blooming on black with subtitles this tv would be just about perfect to me. Also, I don't think to adjust black levels to fix it is good. It just screws up everything else and just about puts me at square one to get what I'm looking for.
The subtitle issue is something that really interests me as I watch most content with subtitles. How bad is it? Is it a deal breaker?
post #2126 of 2503 Old 06-29-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The subtitle issue is something that really interests me as I watch most content with subtitles. How bad is it? Is it a deal breaker?
I"m personally right up on the tv. If you're a little ways back it might not be noticeable as much. Subtitles during play look pretty good to me from what I've tested. It's just the pure black background with white lettering that has the blooming issue.
post #2127 of 2503 Old 06-29-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I"m personally right up on the tv. If you're a little ways back it might not be noticeable as much. Subtitles during play look pretty good to me from what I've tested. It's just the pure black background with white lettering that has the blooming issue.
Ok so does it only affect the black bars and not the actual content?
post #2128 of 2503 Old 06-29-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Ok so does it only affect the black bars and not the actual content?
actual content looks beautiful
post #2129 of 2503 Old 06-30-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This is the most stunning TV I’ve ever owned. The picture is outstanding. I guess if you sit two feet from it you could see slight blooming of white letters on a black background. But in real world use, it’s beautiful. Cable box, DVD or Apple TV 4K streaming with Dolby Atmos. If you have Netflix, watch the series about F1 racing. 4K Atmos. My wife walked by and was amazed at the picture. She sat down to watch a racing segment.
post #2130 of 2503 Old 06-30-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjonathan0 View Post
This is the most stunning TV I’ve ever owned. The picture is outstanding. I guess if you sit two feet from it you could see slight blooming of white letters on a black background. But in real world use, it’s beautiful. Cable box, DVD or Apple TV 4K streaming with Dolby Atmos. If you have Netflix, watch the series about F1 racing. 4K Atmos. My wife walked by and was amazed at the picture. She sat down to watch a racing segment.
Quote:
actual content looks beautiful
toby 5 and tjonathan0 what sizes are you talking about? I'm thinking going for 75 or 85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page