2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 974Likes

post #2341 of 2510 Old 08-13-2019, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliano611 View Post
So, I exchanged my 55" x950g out 3x now and still have the same problem with each. The first two were from the same best buy and were close in serial number and both March 2019 builds. The third, I got today, was an April build about 3500 numbers apart from my last two. Here is what is occuring:

I will turn off the TV (using my DTV remote that has the sony TV code in it for the TV functions) and about 50% of the time after it being off for even 10 minutes, if I try to turn it back on, the TV will show the white light under the SONY logo but nothing comes up on the tv, about 10 seconds later that white light disappears....after trying to click on about 3-4x eventually the tv will turn on but will load with the ANDROID animation like it's been rebooted. My problem with this is that it takes about 30-40 seconds to turn on the tv when this clearly shouldnt be happening.....should I just return this third one and order elsewhere maybe online and hope for a newer build? This is so weird
When the TV turns on with the Android animation it simply indicates that the TV is doing a clean boot. With Android TV there are issues with various apps causing memory leaks and it requires that the TV have a clean boot once in a while. I see this occasionally on my TV. I think if you would only press the power button once and waited you would see the TV go through it's boot up.
gomo657 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2510 Old 08-13-2019, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This whole booting issue has been a problem as far back as in my Z9D.

I would press the power button and get zero response. I'd have to kill the power and restart to get it to fire up. Didnt do it all the time but enough to get annoying.
post #2343 of 2510 Old 08-14-2019, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was wondering if you guys had any recommendation of a good soundbar that works well with our 950G.

Im actually looking at the Samsung Q70R soundbar because I can get it at a low price and reviews have been good - but its just a 3.1 configuration. Im open to any dolby atmos capable and even up to a 7.2 configuration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2344 of 2510 Old 08-14-2019, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank Wp.
My 75X950G is coming my way soon and I will use your settings.
Just a question....
Your Custom 1 and 2 settings is for watching movies, sports or gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfepack View Post
I am very happy with my display. I have to Custom Settings.

Custom 1 Setting: Brightness 7 Color 50. Auto picture mode off. Light sensor off

Advanced settings: Brightness 7, Contrast 90, Gamma -2 and Black level 50. Black adjust off, Adv contrast enhancer off. local dimming medium

Color 50, Hue 0, Color temp Expert 1, Live color off

Clarity:Sharpness 50, Resolution 20, RNR off, DNR off, Smooth Low

Motion: smoothness min, Clearness min, cinemotion Auto

Video options: HDR mote Auto, HDMI Range Auto, Color Space Auto

Custom 2 Setting:

Brightness Max, Contrast 90, Gamma 0, Black level 50, Black Adjsut off, Adv contrast enhancer off, local dimming medium

Color 50, Hue 0, Color Temp Expert 2, Live color off

Clarity Sharpness 50, Resolution 20, RNR off, DNR off, Smooth Low

Motion: smoothness min, Clearness Min, Cinemotion Auto
post #2345 of 2510 Old 08-14-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
Does the blooming and black float not bother you? What about contrast ratio?
The only blooming I see is in the system and apps menus. I don't see it in normal content. What is black float? Oops! Nevermind. If you tell me I might start seeing it.

Jack
post #2346 of 2510 Old 08-14-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliano611 View Post
Nothing between the DTV box and my tv...I just have it connected via HDMI port 2 thats it....would it possibly be fixed via moving it to HDMI 1,3, or 4?
Do you have the CEC on your Directv box on? If so, turn it off as well off on the TV itself. Use an HDMI port that isn’t Arc. I had this problem with my 940D when I first got it and turning off the HDMI CEC’s on my receiver, the DTV box, the TV itself and switching inputs on the TV it stopped. Weird issue with Sony TV’s.
post #2347 of 2510 Old 08-15-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
Do you have the CEC on your Directv box on? If so, turn it off as well off on the TV itself. Use an HDMI port that isn’t Arc. I had this problem with my 940D when I first got it and turning off the HDMI CEC’s on my receiver, the DTV box, the TV itself and switching inputs on the TV it stopped. Weird issue with Sony TV’s.
Is there is anyway to create a custom resolution for 1440p @ 120hz for PC use?
post #2348 of 2510 Old 08-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finally replaced my Pioneer 5020 with the 55 X950G. I'm very impressed. I bought a budget TCL at first based on several Youtube reviews recommending that option because the value and claims of similar performance. Well, that didn't last long - TCL returned. The X950G was just over my budget, but couldn't resist.

I've been adjusting the various settings while re-watching the same exact scenes over and over (driving my wife crazy), but after a few days of that, my settings are almost exactly what others have posted in the thread for Netflix.

For cable, I have xfinity, and it's a secondary wireless box, so the signal isn't very good. The image was very robotic, or seemed in fast motion. I was able to mitigate that by turning Cinemotion off, Smoothness max, Clearness Min. This looks the best for sports and the news for my signal. For some cable tv shows with a quality image, these settings create a soap opera effect, which I can adjust the Smoothness down a few notches and it's perfect.

The blooming issue and "value" compared to other TVs almost prevented me from buying this, but I'm so glad I did. I'm amazed by the picture.
bobola likes this.
post #2349 of 2510 Old 08-15-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6589 Post(s)
Liked: 6587
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylite View Post
Finally pulled the trigger on a 75950G.Been looking for a replacement for my 65" Panasonic plasma for a long time now.Been back & forth between this and a 65 C9 oled and decided to go with bigger is better.
I agree with that, I would have got the bigger set myself. I am a quantity kinda guy.........
post #2350 of 2510 Old 08-16-2019, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OK, 3 days with my 75" 950G now and I'm very happy with my decision.Delivery & haul away from BB right on time.Picture is impressive out of the box and I'll be doing some tweaking to dial it in some more.
Upscaling of 1080p streaming is awesome.Cable feed is what it is,but probably the best that can be done.Motion on last night's NFL game was excellent.Can't speak to the internal apps as I'm using my firestick 4k.
Have not tried the internal speakers - still enjoying my trusty 25 year old 7 speaker Def Tech setup. Blooming not noticeable to me in content - only on white on black lettering.No probs with reflections in my room.

Glad I went with the 75 - largest I could fit. Highly recommend this display.
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #2351 of 2510 Old 08-16-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNNyT View Post
Is there is anyway to create a custom resolution for 1440p @ 120hz for PC use?
I'm sorry I don't know.
post #2352 of 2510 Old 08-16-2019, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So loving my 950 so far....

Everything about it excels over my last one....

But the minor issue I have is the remote....and directv....not the same as above.

I can control everything i need through the sony remote, volume, directv functionality. BUT it will not power on or off the directv box - really annoying.

Any ideas?
post #2353 of 2510 Old 08-16-2019, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhol View Post

But the minor issue I have is the remote....and directv....not the same as above.

I can control everything i need through the sony remote, volume, directv functionality. BUT it will not power on or off the directv box - really annoying.

Any ideas?
If you press the "TV" button on the TV remote the "TV Menu" will appear with a bunch of options to control the set-top box.

Try navigating to the one that says "POWER" basically the first one in the list.

Then while that menu is up with "POWER" highlighted then point the TV remote at the set-top box press the "+" button on the remote to select that action.

This works on my cable box.
post #2354 of 2510 Old 08-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhol View Post

Any ideas?
If you press the "TV" button on the TV remote the "TV Menu" will appear with a bunch of options to control the set-top box.

Try navigating to the one that says "POWER" basically the first one in the list.

Then while that menu is up with "POWER" highlighted then point the TV remote at the set-top box press the "+" button on the remote to select that action.

This works on my cable box.
Yeah that works but surprised pressing the power button on the remote doesn’t work. Having to bring up a menu, one to turn off and then on again seems a little.......poor is the nicest word I can use.

Small issue though
post #2355 of 2510 Old 08-16-2019, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So I’m waiting for the next apple event before buying an Apple TV 4K for my new 950g (in case a new one comes out). I don’t have a 4K player yet either as I want to save up for the Panasonic UB820. So the only way I can do 4K content at the moment is streaming. Most things work really well, but Dolby Vision titles from the Movies Anywhere app look like garbage (like 480p and always buffering). Any way to fix this in the short term until I upgrade the rest of my gear?
post #2356 of 2510 Old 08-18-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onimaru View Post
So I’m waiting for the next apple event before buying an Apple TV 4K for my new 950g (in case a new one comes out). I don’t have a 4K player yet either as I want to save up for the Panasonic UB820. So the only way I can do 4K content at the moment is streaming. Most things work really well, but Dolby Vision titles from the Movies Anywhere app look like garbage (like 480p and always buffering). Any way to fix this in the short term until I upgrade the rest of my gear?

Seem to have had some success with the Vudu app instead. Stream looks like DV is working and it’s definitely 4K. Just won’t work with MA’s app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #2357 of 2510 Old 08-18-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi all X950G owners,
I'm planning on purchasing a TV shortly and I'm keen to know what people think of the audio quality from the built in speakers of the 65" X950G. I saw a review at Techradar that didn't have much praise for its sound quality (https://www.techradar.com/au/reviews...tv-xbr-65x950g), hence my concern.

The TV will be connected to a surround sound system however for general day to day viewing my wife would prefer not to have the "hassle" of using it.

Thanks for your opinions in advance.
post #2358 of 2510 Old 08-18-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest-g View Post
The TV will be connected to a surround sound system however for general day to day viewing my wife would prefer not to have the "hassle" of using it.

I feel like they’re good for stock tv speakers compared to most. But they’re still tv speakers. You could always set up the surround with a smart remote like a harmony. The 950g also has e-Arc that works well with receivers. I can control mine (denon 1500) just fine with the Sony remote as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kateyes likes this.
post #2359 of 2510 Old 08-18-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest-g View Post
Hi all X950G owners,
I'm planning on purchasing a TV shortly and I'm keen to know what people think of the audio quality from the built in speakers of the 65" X950G. I saw a review at Techradar that didn't have much praise for its sound quality (https://www.techradar.com/au/reviews...tv-xbr-65x950g), hence my concern.

Thanks for your opinions in advance.
No praise was correct. Would giving her just two things to do, work? Such as turning the screen display on, and adjusting the volume from zero to what she likes.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #2360 of 2510 Old 08-19-2019, 06:36 AM

I just read a comment on amazon that when the set is powered up the first time you have to accept Google terms & conditions or the set is not unusable
I only use the tv for watching bluray's and as a computer monitor, I do not have internet service so does that mean the set will not function?
Thanks for the help
post #2361 of 2510 Old 08-19-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnook View Post
I just read a comment on amazon that when the set is powered up the first time you have to accept Google terms & conditions or the set is not unusable
I only use the tv for watching bluray's and as a computer monitor, I do not have internet service so does that mean the set will not function?
Thanks for the help
Rest easy, it's optional.

Sony footnotes re Google Assistant:

7 Chromecast built-in compatibility dependent on app. 8 Google Home device (sold separately) compatible with Sony TV’s powered by Android TV. Requires compatible devices connected to the same wireless home network. Download the Google Home app from the iPhone App Store or Google Play. Subject to third party app terms and conditions. User must link compatible devices in order to control operation. Once download is complete, the Google Home feature may be connected to the Sony device to access the voice control function 9 Amazon Alexa enabled devices (sold separately) compatible with Sony TV’s powered by Android TV. Amazon account required. Subscriptions may be required to access certain content. Compatible devices require internet connection.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #2362 of 2510 Old 08-19-2019, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Looking into purchasing the 950 over the q90 due to better accuracy. From most accounts I read people wisely prfer the 950 over the q80/90s. And it’s way cheaper. But my room has 3 large windows right behind the tv. Here are pictures of my b8 oled that I’m returning. You can see the reflections and windows behind. It’s unwatchable and I’m returning. Just debating between the 950 and the q90. Mainly considering the q90 due to the anti glare. But curious if those who own the 950 think it would be okay in this type of room. Pics below

https://imgur.com/a/cZCWVB7
post #2363 of 2510 Old 08-19-2019, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay leopold View Post
Looking into purchasing the 950 over the q90 due to better accuracy. From most accounts I read people wisely prfer the 950 over the q80/90s. And it’s way cheaper. But my room has 3 large windows right behind the tv. Here are pictures of my b8 oled that I’m returning. You can see the reflections and windows behind. It’s unwatchable and I’m returning. Just debating between the 950 and the q90. Mainly considering the q90 due to the anti glare. But curious if those who own the 950 think it would be okay in this type of room. Pics below

Apparently the 950 handles reflections really well, not 80r or 90r well, but better than most.
post #2364 of 2510 Old 08-19-2019, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay leopold View Post

I'd say you might want the q90 from my experience. There is some reflection going on with the 950.
post #2365 of 2510 Old 08-20-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Rest easy, it's optional.

Sony footnotes re Google Assistant:

7 Chromecast built-in compatibility dependent on app. 8 Google Home device (sold separately) compatible with Sony TV’s powered by Android TV. Requires compatible devices connected to the same wireless home network. Download the Google Home app from the iPhone App Store or Google Play. Subject to third party app terms and conditions. User must link compatible devices in order to control operation. Once download is complete, the Google Home feature may be connected to the Sony device to access the voice control function 9 Amazon Alexa enabled devices (sold separately) compatible with Sony TV’s powered by Android TV. Amazon account required. Subscriptions may be required to access certain content. Compatible devices require internet connection.
Thank you Panson! I was worried about this
I also do a lot of gaming. Are you aware of any blooming issues with dialog boxes? This would be a deal breaker if so.
Thanks again!
post #2366 of 2510 Old 08-20-2019, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has anyone had their 950 calibrated for gaming on the PC? Did you use gaming? And if so, what basic settings did the calibrator use?
post #2367 of 2510 Old 08-20-2019, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey all, I am looking to get the 75" X950G and I have a few buying options. I am located in the Midwest and have access to Best Buy and other brick and mortar retailers and of course online e.g. Amazon, Crutchfield etc...
My question is who has the best extended warranty and setup/mounting options? If it matters I am in Minnesota Twin Cities metro (That's all the closer you get! LOL ). Basically looking for cost efficiency for the warranty vs features. There are no hazards in my viewing room, so not worried about accidental damage. But quality wall mounting would be a plus. Aside from delivery and mounting, the install should be really easy. Only 1 HDMI coming from my Marantz 8012 receiver. I video switch through that sooooo only need power and HDMI.

Any ideas are welcome for delivery service/install.

NOTE: If anyone knows a good calibration service I would be open to ideas.

Thanks all and have a good one!
post #2368 of 2510 Old 08-20-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjonathan0 View Post
Obviously you don't own a 950g. Have had one for three months and it's simply stunning, right out of the box. We use factory picture settings and I would put its display up against any set on the market today. Also, the earc works flawlessly with an Apple 4k box and Sony DVD player. I couldn't have asked for a better set. If you're thinking about buying one, it's a great choice.
I own a 950G 65" also and love it. Perfect picture, great upscaling, very fast through menus and apps, and new remote is really nice.
Panson likes this.
post #2369 of 2510 Old 08-20-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnook View Post
Thank you Panson! I was worried about this
I also do a lot of gaming. Are you aware of any blooming issues with dialog boxes? This would be a deal breaker if so.
Thanks again!
No, I'm not. Suggest maybe contacting one of the owner/gamers on this thread. Good luck. have fun.

post #2370 of 2510 Old 08-20-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby5 View Post
I'd say you might want the q90 from my experience. There is some reflection going on with the 950.
X950G is only .4 behind the Q90R in anti-reflection. See rtings link below.

Potential customer should be considering the considerable extra cost of the Q90R, plus the great color accuracy and motion of the X950G.

Related:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...tte-and-glossy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page