2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1089Likes

post #2521 of 2783 Old 09-25-2019, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Anyone using the new AttTV Now app on the 950G? I have finally found a way to get it to work without having to spoof the location. Of course, the .apk will need to be sideloaded but its works flawlessly. If you don't know where to find it, google: xda directv now. You should find a repository of different versions including an HBR version. In order to avoid the 'We couldn't determine your location' error:
1. Install apk and do not launch the app yet.
2. give the app permission to location.
3. log into the app/site on any device that is connected to your network and watch any channel. Just make sure it is streaming on YOUR network/Wifi, not LTE. ***This is the most important step***
4. Launch app on TV and input credentials.

Once this is done, you should have the app up and running with no issue. You can also stop the playback on the previous device. I was unable to get this working in the past but made a recent discovery to get it working. I guess if you have it streaming on the network, it will force the app to determine your location? For those with an account, please try this out and provide feedback. I posted this on another site but feedback has been very slow, only one person has stated that it works for them on their nvidia shield. Peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2783 Old 09-26-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgrady View Post
Just bought an 85" X950G last week. Found an awesome price online. Trucking company picked it up today. I can't wait to get it installed and running. It will also let me finally mount my Nakamichi soundbar. Will post impressions once it's installed. It's going to be replacing a 52" Samsung PNF8500 plasma.

Tim
How are you enjoying that 186.4% bigger screen !
post #2523 of 2783 Old 09-26-2019, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
X950G with HW-Q90R Soundbar

Anyone using HW-Q90R soundbar? It's supposed to have eARC support . Is it working as expected, including 7.1.4 DTS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2524 of 2783 Old 09-26-2019, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by foyzur View Post
Anyone using HW-Q90R soundbar? It's supposed to have eARC support . Is it working as expected, including 7.1.4 DTS?
I would like to know this too.
post #2525 of 2783 Old 09-27-2019, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
How are you enjoying that 186.4% bigger screen !
Not enjoying it yet. Shipping took ~2 weeks and it just showed up today. They sent a X850G rather than a X950G. I noticed before it even got off the truck. It's headed back and hopefully the right one will be headed here soon...

Tim
post #2526 of 2783 Old 09-27-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
They sent a X850G rather than a X950G.

Ouch! Man, I would be livid. Hope the right TV gets there soon.

Spoiler!
post #2527 of 2783 Old 09-27-2019, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videomirage View Post
I have an issue on my tv 65 inch version the video interpolation doesn't perform very well it's like the tv doesn't have the processing power to run it it goes a bit smooth then slows down then stutters and so on,
thats when i play a video from my pc. But when i connect a hdd to the tv itself and play a video directly the video interpolation works almost flawlesly exept for the judder or is it stutter at the beginning of when switching to a scene in which there is movement which is still a bit dissapointing but at least it works. Is this a software bug? Does anyone have a workaround i read someone said previosly to disable a/v sync which i did on the tv and on the avr but nothing has changed.
I have tried to over come this problem for a long time as well and the only sure fire work around is to change the refresh rate of Windows to match the frame rate of the movie you are watch. Most movies are 24p (23.976hz) but the correct setting in Nvidia or AMD display settings is actually 23hz. If you do this then motion interpolation will work flawlessly with no stutter. If you still get stutter then it's because the video player, decoder and/or hardware isn't powerful enough or properly configured to handle the video data fast enough.

Also I use Potplayer with Madvr and I've tried may players and decoders but none can produce a stable 3:2 pull-down of 24hz videos when Windows refresh-rate is set to 60hz, instead the frames are delivered unevenly resulting in the TV interpolation algorithm getting confused. It may be due to the Nvidia drivers and or the video decoders, I know from a forum post researching when this that the creator of Madvr said that he knows his 3:2 pull-down implementation isn't working optimally but saw no reason to improve upon it as one should instead change the refresh rate of the operating system instead and rather spend time on improve other part instead.

A tip: If you use Potplayer you can press Tab to get a info overlay showing the playing videos frame rate.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
post #2528 of 2783 Old 09-27-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Not enjoying it yet. Shipping took ~2 weeks and it just showed up today. They sent a X850G rather than a X950G. I noticed before it even got off the truck. It's headed back and hopefully the right one will be headed here soon...

Tim
This is not a price talk. But you told me you bought from game liquidation in your private message. I just wanted to let everyone know that I have read bad things about game liquidations. I would recommend to not buy from them and particularly double check with Sony about honoring warranty. And of course double check thoroughly in case you already bought. I also saw one guy couldn’t even reach game liquidations for a damaged tv but was able to dispute with Newegg to get his money back. Not sure about Rakuten though.
post #2529 of 2783 Old 09-27-2019, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Tim
The old bait and switch. I wanted to fall for it with abctv because they had it for 1499.99 and everyone else was 1799.99. Of course no price match at Best Buy. So I bought it the next day for 1799.99 and the next weekend later they had a flash sale on Sunday only, for 1499.99 at Best Buy, Fry's, Amazon etc so I went and got my refund for price match!

But this isn't a price thread so I can't tell you that, just thinking out loud.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #2530 of 2783 Old 09-28-2019, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Why is discussing price forbidden?

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
post #2531 of 2783 Old 09-28-2019, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
Why is discussing price forbidden?
Because it detracts from the point of the thread which is to talk about the technology and how to use the TV. Plus price changes constantly so any price post more than a week old is obsolete.

But I don't think there is a problem calling out these bad retailers.
GhaSper_- and JoelArt like this.
post #2532 of 2783 Old 09-28-2019, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Can people that are on the latest firmware tell me if there have been any improvements to the video interpolation of this tv:

Has sony restored the motion controls like in models from previous year?
Does the smoothness slider go to level 5, can you set film mode to low, medium or high?
Has there been any improvements/increase in video interpolation?

Please i need to know i am very sensitive to low frame rate and the current state of motionflow on my tv is terrible.
I am still waiting for an update for european models but there is no sign of one. Are they even planing to release one ever?
post #2533 of 2783 Old 09-28-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmayer99 View Post
Thanks! That did the trick! I had talked to two people at SONY who insisted this was not possible… Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with calling the vendor.
Worked for me also. Thanks!
post #2534 of 2783 Old 09-29-2019, 02:12 AM

Anyone knows of X950G will get Apple TV app ( not just airplay). My Q70R has Apple TV app and it's super handy. Was wondering if Sony or in general Android TV platform is slated to get the same.
post #2535 of 2783 Old 09-29-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Just got the Sony 65X850G as a replacement from Square Trade. I have my SB4551-D5 Vizio Sound bar connected with a HDMI cable on the tv eARC input. Everything works great except on turn on the tv switches from internal to external speakers, sometimes taking a few long seconds. Is there a way to stop it from doing this? I have the TV set up to external speakers and not sure my sound bar supports eARC.
Thanks.
post #2536 of 2783 Old 09-30-2019, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wall mounting and the panel is broken

Just a warning and reminder the more delicate the better. Wall mounted a 55" 950G using a Sanus Simplicity SLT3 bracket from Costco. My girlfriend and I placed and removed the TV 3 times on the wall. This was the side I lifted from but we were both careful to lift from the bottom and hold from the side.

I think the damage actually occurred when we removed the legs since that was the only time we were touching the top edge. No damage to the front but clearly the part underneath is ruined.

I am coming from a 10 year old Samsung plasma which is built like a tank. I don't recall "squeezing" the screen or the screen face resting on anything. Next time I might just go through Best Buy and geek squad to get it up on the wall for the piece of mind. Damage is at the top left looking at the TV. Will contact Sony to see if it is repairable or if any chance of warranty since the TV is less then 30 days old.

post #2537 of 2783 Old 09-30-2019, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Sorry to hear about that. Your recourse will depend on your character. If it was me, and I honestly felt that I did nothing outside of the "norm" when mounting the TV.. i.e. I didn't drop it, squeeze it, etc.. and that happened... I'd return it. The TV should be able to handle going on the wall, perhaps it just wasn't built up to snuff. /shrug

That said, if you feel that you did cause the error and it is understandable, I admire if you accept the bill...

I bet TV's are returned all the time by people who knowingly damaged them during install.

I've dropped my TV from pretty high up and it survived. If damage happened to my set because of anything super minor, I'd be tempted to blame the TV...

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #2538 of 2783 Old 09-30-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorit01 View Post
Just a warning and reminder the more delicate the better. Wall mounted a 55" 950G using a Sanus Simplicity SLT3 bracket from Costco. My girlfriend and I placed and removed the TV 3 times on the wall. This was the side I lifted from but we were both careful to lift from the bottom and hold from the side.

I think the damage actually occurred when we removed the legs since that was the only time we were touching the top edge. No damage to the front but clearly the part underneath is ruined.

I am coming from a 10 year old Samsung plasma which is built like a tank. I don't recall "squeezing" the screen or the screen face resting on anything. Next time I might just go through Best Buy and geek squad to get it up on the wall for the piece of mind. Damage is at the top left looking at the TV. Will contact Sony to see if it is repairable or if any chance of warranty since the TV is less then 30 days old.

Sorry for your loss I am actually shocked to hear that you cannot touch top of the TV! I just returned my Samsung Q70R 75" which I was quite happy with but wanted an 85" and I didn't bother tracking where I was touching while taking up and taking down the TV. Is this a Sony specific requirement? I would be super worried as I am currently waiting for a better deal on 85" X950G and I will be using the same Costco mount that you mentioned (I am sure that mount doesn't have anything to do).
post #2539 of 2783 Old 09-30-2019, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
Sorry to hear about that. Your recourse will depend on your character. If it was me, and I honestly felt that I did nothing outside of the "norm" when mounting the TV.. i.e. I didn't drop it, squeeze it, etc.. and that happened... I'd return it. The TV should be able to handle going on the wall, perhaps it just wasn't built up to snuff. /shrug

That said, if you feel that you did cause the error and it is understandable, I admire if you accept the bill...

I bet TV's are returned all the time by people who knowingly damaged them during install.

I've dropped my TV from pretty high up and it survived. If damage happened to my set because of anything super minor, I'd be tempted to blame the TV...
I purchased through Dell when they were running a sale and did financing through Dell. I opened a case with them and explained that we raised and lowered it 3 times. To me were operating in the realm of "normal" where you lift from the bottom and place a hand on the side of the unit. No drops, no hits to the surface and the only thing I could have done would have been to lift with my left hand at the bottom and steady the top with my right hand with my palm on the screen and holding the top edge.

The one thing that we noticed was when lifting it or putting it down the exterior case "creaked" and would "creak" each time we set it down or lifted it. We both commented on "what is that" so perhaps Dell will be open to exchanging or I will see if Sony has a service center near me.

I purchased the 950G thinking an LCD would be less fragile then OLED. Just a caution for others if you hear the case creaking with pressure to the bottom or side the result could be the same for the panel behind the screen.
post #2540 of 2783 Old 10-01-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If only the rest of the world was as honest as you, sir. I wish you luck!

Yes, my TV also "creaked" a bit when moving. They're just so large these days, there must be all sorts of tensile stress going on around that delicate screen when the TV is anything but "just sitting there." I bet they cut costs whenever possible regarding the structure of the TV as long as the absolute bare minimum is met.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #2541 of 2783 Old 10-04-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How is the blooming and or light bleed into the black bars in real life viewing for a dark to moderately dark room?
post #2542 of 2783 Old 10-04-2019, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantiz View Post
How is the blooming and or light bleed into the black bars in real life viewing for a dark to moderately dark room?
I have my X950G 65" in a basement area. It is a somewhat dark area. I have absolutely no complaints in real life use.
post #2543 of 2783 Old 10-05-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
In the description for the tv it says "Object-based HDR remaster", so which option acutally activates that feature or is it done automaticaly by the X1 Ultimate Picture Processor because i can't find any option in the tv menu that says Object-based HDR remaster?
post #2544 of 2783 Old 10-06-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit21 View Post
Can anyone confirm if the remote for this TV works on the X900F? I have a soundbar blocking my IR receiver and having an RF remote would be a godsend!
I would like to know this as well. Not sure if it’s been answered already but can anyone confirm or deny this? Thx
post #2545 of 2783 Old 10-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had the unfortunate luck of waking up yesterday with some dreaded lines in my 39 day old 55". I ordered the TV from Amazon and yes, I was just out of their 30 day return window. Fortunately, I asked to speak with a customer service supervisor once the rep told me I had to go through Sony...(we all know that could have taken weeks if not months to resolve) I was able to convince him to swap it out for me. My new TV arrives tomorrow. Thank you Amazon for stepping up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191007_070813.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	850.7 KB
ID:	2624808  
GhaSper_- and Steve544 like this.
post #2546 of 2783 Old 10-07-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videomirage View Post
In the description for the tv it says "Object-based HDR remaster", so which option acutally activates that feature or is it done automaticaly by the X1 Ultimate Picture Processor because i can't find any option in the tv menu that says Object-based HDR remaster?
That feature is automatic and is part of the picture processing that is always happening in the background. There is no option to activate/deactivate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post
I would like to know this as well. Not sure if it’s been answered already but can anyone confirm or deny this? Thx
Highly doubtful as the new remote is RF based and it's very unlikely that the X900F has an RF input port.. why would it considering that it came with an IR remote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy#1 View Post
I had the unfortunate luck of waking up yesterday with some dreaded lines in my 39 day old 55". I ordered the TV from Amazon and yes, I was just out of their 30 day return window. Fortunately, I asked to speak with a customer service supervisor once the rep told me I had to go through Sony...(we all know that could have taken weeks if not months to resolve) I was able to convince him to swap it out for me. My new TV arrives tomorrow. Thank you Amazon for stepping up.
Glad to hear it. I've only had good experiences with Amazon.

post #2547 of 2783 Old 10-07-2019, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hey Guys and Ladies.

Have any owners of the x950g been able to activate the bluetooth operation for the remote that comes with the tv? When I try to activate it I get an error message saying "Unable to turn on Bluetooth due to an error". It doesn't state what the error is, it just won't turn on. I can turn bluetooth on in the Settings>Bluetooth settings>turn on bluetooth, but if I go into settings>remote control>connect via bluetooth, that's when I get the error message and if I go back to settings>bluetooth settings, bluetooth has turned back off. I can't figure out what's going on here.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Den: Sony XBR75x950g, Marantz sr8012, ATV4k, Oppo bdp105, Emotiva XPR-5/UPA-2, NHT ClassicThree+C3C/iC4x4, Hsu,7.2.4
Bedroom: Samsung 64f8500, Denon 4311, ATVHD, Oppo bdp93, NHT Absolute Towers x2, Classic2Center, Classic2 Surround, M&K sub 5.1
Headbanging: MacMini/Roon/Tidal HA-1, ProJect PreBox s2 PM-1, Senheisser 6xx
post #2548 of 2783 Old 10-07-2019, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwglideman View Post
Hey Guys and Ladies.

Have any owners of the x950g been able to activate the bluetooth operation for the remote that comes with the tv? When I try to activate it I get an error message saying "Unable to turn on Bluetooth due to an error". It doesn't state what the error is, it just won't turn on. I can turn bluetooth on in the Settings>Bluetooth settings>turn on bluetooth, but if I go into settings>remote control>connect via bluetooth, that's when I get the error message and if I go back to settings>bluetooth settings, bluetooth has turned back off. I can't figure out what's going on here.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes I had this problem. The Bluetooth stopped working even though it was paired when I first set it up. I tired re-pairing and got similar message to yours. I solved it by unplugging the tv from the wall, then plugged it back in. Then it paired. It happened another time since, same solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2549 of 2783 Old 10-07-2019, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdawson View Post
Yes I had this problem. The Bluetooth stopped working even though it was paired when I first set it up. I tired re-pairing and got similar message to yours. I solved it by unplugging the tv from the wall, then plugged it back in. Then it paired. It happened another time since, same solution.

Thanks for fast reply.

Yeah, that did the trick! I appreciate the help.

Thank you again!

p.s btw, that's a huge help because the ir sensor is slightly covered by my center channel speaker and I kept have to reach to the sky to try and get the remote to work.
Attached Images

post #2550 of 2783 Old 10-07-2019, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwglideman View Post
Thanks for fast reply.

Yeah, that did the trick! I appreciate the help.

Thank you again!

My pleasure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page