2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1244Likes

post #2911 of 3427 Old 11-20-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupi99 View Post
After testing further, at least with certain 4k content I am seeing some subtle differences between using apple TV 4k vs. direct through the TV (using the Vudu app on each device).

apple settings are 4k SDR/60p, match dynamic range and frame rate

Video is Vudu UHD Apocalypse Now with Dolby Vision.

TV settings are the same - it picks up the Dolby Vision profile

Using the apple TV, the image/blacks seem slightly crushed, or darker, skin tones a bit redder - some detail is not seen, where it is seen using the Vudu app on the TV. These are taken with an iPhone XR, so there's obviously some automatic alteration inherent to that, as opposed to direct screen caps.

This is 4k content, so I wouldn't think the apple TV would be doing any upscaling. It does appear to be altering the image in some way, though.

Pic on the left should be the apple TV one.
Those differences are surprising especially since I am viewing on a phone. I would assume pretty noticable in person? I know you said subtle but if that's accurate it's not subtle.
Perhaps just a timing deal on the frame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 3427 Old 11-20-2019, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
Those differences are surprising especially since I am viewing on a phone. I would assume pretty noticable in person? I know you said subtle but if that's accurate it's not subtle.
Perhaps just a timing deal on the frame?
It's somewhat noticeable, yes. There's definitely a darker "feeling" to the image when watching it through the apple TV. It is surprising, and I'm wondering if I am missing something somewhere, but I believe I've checked all the boxes...
It could be timing, or not the same frame exactly - my testing wasn't scientific but it was as close as I could get with what I have.
post #2913 of 3427 Old 11-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
After testing further, at least with certain 4k content I am seeing some subtle differences between using apple TV 4k vs. direct through the TV (using the Vudu app on each device).

apple settings are 4k SDR/60p, match dynamic range and frame rate
Video is Vudu UHD Apocalypse Now with Dolby Vision.
TV settings are the same - it picks up the Dolby Vision profile

Using the apple TV, the image/blacks seem slightly crushed, or darker, skin tones a bit redder - some detail is not seen, where it is seen using the Vudu app on the TV. These are taken with an iPhone XR, so there's obviously some automatic alteration inherent to that, as opposed to direct screen caps.

This is 4k content, so I wouldn't think the apple TV would be doing any upscaling. It does appear to be altering the image in some way, though.

Pic on the left should be the apple TV one.
Are the picture settings/values the same on your apple tv input as it is for the tv apps ?
On the Sony Tv it seems like you have either the gamma or brightness up a notch

Think before you speak....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2914 of 3427 Old 11-20-2019, 10:50 AM

Yep, the Dolby Vision profile was being used, due to it being auto-detected from the content source. Brightness at Max on both (as well as all other picture settings on the TV). I'll do some more testing later today when I can.
post #2915 of 3427 Old 11-20-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
how do you take a Screenshot on the 950G?

Also, how do you access Recent Apps screen (often called multitasking) as well?

Could be that google killed these screens in oreo, but not sure. I cannot figure out a button combo to get either to work...

Sony XBR-65X950G (2019) w/ Yamaha RX-677 w/ 3.1
Xbox One X
Apple TV 4K
YouTube TV
Sony XBR-43X830C (2015) w/ Xbox One S, LG 60PM6700 (2012)
post #2916 of 3427 Old 11-20-2019, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
not the place, but the Espn app on the 950G has (seemingly) been fixed to no longer drop about every third frame.

Sony XBR-65X950G (2019) w/ Yamaha RX-677 w/ 3.1
Xbox One X
Apple TV 4K
YouTube TV
Sony XBR-43X830C (2015) w/ Xbox One S, LG 60PM6700 (2012)
post #2917 of 3427 Old 11-20-2019, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Off-Center Viewing - How bad is it?

I've been a Sony guy for a long time, and I've been taking a close look at the 65" X950G. It seemed like the perfect choice, until I read about the poor off-angle viewing. My TV is on a stand in a corner, directly across from an L-shaped sofa, so people sitting on both ends will be about 35% off-center to the screen. Is that far enough off-center to negatively affect the PQ?

Also, how well does the X950G reduce reflections?

Lastly, I have only read reviews on the 65" model. Is the 75" the same (larger, of course), but with wider viewing angles? Same processor, etc.?
post #2918 of 3427 Old 11-20-2019, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post
I've been a Sony guy for a long time, and I've been taking a close look at the 65" X950G. It seemed like the perfect choice, until I read about the poor off-angle viewing. My TV is on a stand in a corner, directly across from an L-shaped sofa, so people sitting on both ends will be about 35% off-center to the screen. Is that far enough off-center to negatively affect the PQ?

Also, how well does the X950G reduce reflections?

Lastly, I have only read reviews on the 65" model. Is the 75" the same (larger, of course), but with wider viewing angles? Same processor, etc.?
I just bought this and have it scheduled to be delivered on Saturday, so I can't comment on quality of reflections nor viewing angles. However, I decided on this set because I know the 75" and 85" comes with Sony's wide viewing angles. And yes, all x950g's have the same processor.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #2919 of 3427 Old 11-20-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:

...shortened the rest...
Some more testing brings more questions - it seems like the issue described above may be related more specifically to the Vudu app on the Apple TV - I’ve checked several other apps, with various 4K and non-4K content, and the issue is either much less, or indistinguishable. Still have to test some more, however.
TheDuke1980 likes this.
post #2920 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Please help me out guys,I think i will buy this tv after all, because it seems to have the least amount of cons and complaints out of all lcd's. But i'm really concerned about some motion complaints. What is the deal with cinemotion setting being downgraded on only auto on off and smoothness slider only to 3? X900f had more options regarding this,but unfortunately it had too much overshoot and motion artifacts for my taste. What's tour take on this? How is the motion on x950g in fast paced scenes?
post #2921 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Crashing while in App and accessing settings menu.

Ive had an issue since new, 2 weeks. When I'm watching a video in Vudu, Amazon Prime or Netflix and I try to open the picture settings the App will crash back to its launch screen for that movie. As soon as I restart the movie I can then launch the picture settings menu successfully. This does not happen in Youtube or Youtube TV. All internal Apps. Is this a common issue? All is updated. Also, Privelage 4k is awesome looking and sounding but very buggy, continuous lockups to the extent I uninstalled it. Is this a common issue also?
post #2922 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes800 View Post
Please help me out guys,I think i will buy this tv after all, because it seems to have the least amount of cons and complaints out of all lcd's. But i'm really concerned about some motion complaints. What is the deal with cinemotion setting being downgraded on only auto on off and smoothness slider only to 3? X900f had more options regarding this,but unfortunately it had too much overshoot and motion artifacts for my taste. What's tour take on this? How is the motion on x950g in fast paced scenes?
Lol that's one of the reasons i bought mine the other tvs i was locking at were way worse, i think i was thinking about maybe getting the samsung q80 which was more expensive and then i saw a HDTV review of it and said to my self yeah screw that, they mentioned a whole list of flaws plus i found out on this forum that it has horrible motion processing especially for gaming.

if you need an excuse to buy this tv check out this customer review on amazon by Steven Bickhart
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-X950G-65...7?pageNumber=7

Pay attention specifically on the ending where he says he contacted sony about the removal of motion controls and that they said: "based on a lot of feedback, developers were working on possibly adding those full controls back in an update."

I still haven't heard of such update so will it actually happen? Your guess is as good as mine.

By the way the picture is great no complaints theres just the motion processing , best you can hope for, for now from what i can tell is a working video interpolation (some say on their tv that it actually works so i don't know) that only goes to 60fps and possible return of the motion controls in the future via update. Until then if you are using a pc for playback of movies and tv shows you can use SVP4 Pro(Smooth Video Project 4 Pro)
pc software for video interpolation, it is actually great and the best option for pc, you can tweak a lot of settings if you want, you can go for more smoothness or less artifacts or a balance of the two or just use auto settings and move the slider left or right. It's pretty CPU intensive by the way with the option of using gpu acceleration in tandem with the cpu. You can get 120fps if you use the tv at 1080p 120Hz or 60fps at 4k 60Hz because of hdmi 2.0 bandwidth limitations.And of course you can only use this software for videos (not for videogames) with supported video players , i recommend JRiver Media Center because you get great picture and sound and it's compatible with SVP. Most other great quality media players like Cyberlink PowerDVD don't support Svp because they use their own codecs so you cant use svp with them.

So ether be ready for a compromise and hope for the best or just wait for next year but then you don't really know if tvs are going to be better especially lcds seeing as they seem to get less and less attention from sony.
brickyardz likes this.
post #2923 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Videomirage, thank you for another detailed answer. It is just that when i weight out pros and cons of different tvs, sony x950g has the most pros and the least cons out of any other lcd tv. I can't go for oled, since my viewing habits (alot of cnn and games) would get me a burnin in no time for sure. But this motion thing worries me a bit. I read the review of that Steven guy. He wrote that x950g doesn't have pronounced SOE, something i like very much. Is that true? Not even at smotthness and clearness up to 3 and cinemotion to auto? That's a shame for me. How would you compare SOE on x950g vs x900f?
post #2924 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As of last night, I was able to get Hdr content to work on the native Disney+ app. The Force awakens looked great especially during the outdoor night time light saber battle.
post #2925 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 21
After a few weeks with the 75" version here's what I'm finding. I really like the TV overall if I can sort out a couple of small things. The settings that make SDR look best have brightness down at 17, contrast 90, black level 45, BUT it seems that at that lower brightness the colors lose their pop and it looks a bit "flat". If I bring brightness up to 30 / 35 the color comes back to life and I love the overall TV brightness but then the whites are blinding watching just about anything - unnaturally bright. So is it best to bring brightness up to give it some life and take contrast down so the whites aren't blinding, or leave brightness down and contrast up and add some color?

Currently running CUSTOM screen mode, Expert 1 color
post #2926 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Videomirage, thank you for another detailed answer. It is just that when i weight out pros and cons of different tvs, sony x950g has the most pros and the least cons out of any other lcd tv. I can't go for oled, since my viewing habits (alot of cnn and games) would get me a burnin in no time for sure. But this motion thing worries me a bit. I read the review of that Steven guy. He wrote that x950g doesn't have pronounced SOE, something i like very much. Is that true? Not even at smotthness and clearness up to 3 and cinemotion to auto? That's a shame for me. How would you compare SOE on x950g vs x900f?
I don't have any experience with the x900f so i can't really help there from what i read in google the x900f has a 120 hz panel like the x950g and seeing the smoothness settings are lower by 2 levels.... well you get the picture. Unless sony kept the smoothness and just made the settings go from 0 to 3 as opposed to from 0 to 5 , which i seriously doubt it then you'll get less smooth motion (unless it's broken like on my tv), but like i said before to me it looks like it's interpolating to 60 fps which is still pretty smooth compared to 24 fps, i mean there is no stutter like 24 fps. So i suggest you install svp 4 pro (i think there is a free trial) and see the difference between 60 and 120 fps on your current tv (if it is 120 Hz that is,and set the refresh rate on your pc to 120 hz so you can output 120 fps to you tv) and see if you could live with that, just keep in mind that the x950g has a bit better smoothness (and maybe less artifacts) than svp4 as far as i can see, i compared it on some cgi game trailers i downloaded from youtube which turns out is the only content that seems not to stutter on my tv with video interpolation activated (Cgi movies still sututter by the way)

Clearness is Black frame insertion so it's for making the motion clearer not smoother i think it does make a difference though but not as great as motion flow(video interpolation), i personally don't use it because it darkens the image a bit.

And yes from what i remember when i was looking for a new tv a few months ago the x950g was the best according to the reviews i read in this price range unless something new has come out.

Watch this review by Hdtvtest :

Maybe it will put your mind at ease about buying this tv.
post #2927 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post
Is apple tv + coming to the 950G as an app ?
I downloaded the app release day

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #2928 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
I downloaded the app release day

I still have not found it on the tv...can you put up a screenshot ?

post #2929 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 03:15 PM

Absolutely, when I get home

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
post #2930 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
Absolutely, when I get home

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/29/...ony-smart-tvs/

post #2931 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Hahaha my bad my bad. I read that like, that's funny because I swear I used it. I was taking about the Disney plus app Doh!

post #2932 of 3427 Old 11-21-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Hi,
I need some help.
I recently purchased a Sony 65X950G TV. Love the TV!
My AVR is the SR5011. My DVD player is the LG UBK90.
I have the HDMI output of the LG running to the HDMI input on the AVR and the AVR's output, HDMI ARC, going to the TV's HDMI eARC input.
I have all the video processing on the AVR off so the signal is just passing through the AVR and the TV can do all the processing.
It works fine but if I'm watching a 4k BD movie that is either Dolby Vision/HDR/etc is the AVR passing through the signal at that rate or a lesser rate?
If at a lower rate would I be better off connecting the LG's output to the TV's input, HDMI 2, and passing the audio signal to the AVR via the ARC/eARC ports?
My goal, like all of us, is to get the best video/audio possible out of our kit.

If the 5011 won't pass through the full signal and I still want to use the AVR as my dedicated input for my LG I suspect I'm looking at replacing the AVR. If so I'm leaning towards the 5014...within my budget and maybe a black Friday deal...or exceeding my budget to the 6014.
My audio system is a 5.1 and that is not going to change. I also am very satisfied with the power of the all the AVR's I've mentioned.

Thanks for your help,
Kai

***jdsmoothie answered my question...Thanks jd!***

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home

Last edited by Kai Winters; 11-22-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #2933 of 3427 Old 11-22-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6871 Post(s)
Liked: 6870
Quote:
Please help me out guys,I think i will buy this tv after all, because it seems to have the least amount of cons and complaints out of all lcd's. But i'm really concerned about some motion complaints. What is the deal with cinemotion setting being downgraded on only auto on off and smoothness slider only to 3? X900f had more options regarding this,but unfortunately it had too much overshoot and motion artifacts for my taste. What's your take on this? How is the motion on x950g in fast paced scenes?
You read this thread, there are very few motion complaints......
brickyardz likes this.
post #2934 of 3427 Old 11-22-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohns1997SS View Post
I feel like this is a pretty stupid question, to me its about the overall experience and the experience without Local Dimming is horrible.

Not saying it would keep me from purchasing this TV but it would keep me from using built in Android.
Complaining about local dimming being disabled for menus is kind of like complaining that you don't like the way the light reflects off of your car when you're gassing it up. If you watch a movie, you've spent two minutes in the menus and two hours in the content.

I can appreciate that folks want "perfect", but you have to be realistic about what really matters.
Craigslue likes this.
post #2935 of 3427 Old 11-22-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Complaining about local dimming being disabled for menus is kind of like complaining that you don't like the way the light reflects off of your car when you're gassing it up. If you watch a movie, you've spent two minutes in the menus and two hours in the content.

I can appreciate that folks want "perfect", but you have to be realistic about what really matters.
WOW this must be a sensitive subject around here, interesting analogy since i would hope that my car would still look good while i am gassing it up.

Sony 85" 900F
Denon x4200w
BIC F12
6x Energy RC-10
DirecTV 4k/ Nvidia Shield 2019 / PS4 Pro / 1080 TI
post #2936 of 3427 Old 11-22-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 598
𝗡𝗘𝗪 𝟳𝟱" 𝗢𝗪𝗡𝗘𝗥 𝗛𝗘𝗥𝗘...

I have had my set now for about a week.
It looks pretty good, but I know it could look better.
Just using out of the box setting and changed the picture mode to Cinema. 
Anyone care to share what settings they are using? 
Coming from three 940D's, each one of them, bad vertical banding. 
Have a great weekend! Thanks for the help! 

3 Sony XBR75 940D- deceased! 1 bad power supply, 2 vertical banding!
New XBR75 950G on the way!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4Pro
Nvidia Shield Pro-2015
post #2937 of 3427 Old 11-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
𝗡𝗘𝗪 𝟳𝟱" 𝗢𝗪𝗡𝗘𝗥 𝗛𝗘𝗥𝗘...

I have had my set now for about a week.
It looks pretty good, but I know it could look better.
Just using out of the box setting and changed the picture mode to Cinema. 
Anyone care to share what settings they are using? 
Coming from three 940D's, each one of them, bad vertical banding. 
Have a great weekend! Thanks for the help! 
I use "standard"
brightness ,contrast, gama almost all at 100%
black contrast @45
color "expert 1"
live color off
local dimming - high
clearness - 1

post #2938 of 3427 Old 11-22-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
I use "standard"
brightness ,contrast, gama almost all at 100%
black contrast @45
color "expert 1"
live color off
local dimming - high
clearness - 1
Awesome! Thanks!

3 Sony XBR75 940D- deceased! 1 bad power supply, 2 vertical banding!
New XBR75 950G on the way!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4Pro
Nvidia Shield Pro-2015
post #2939 of 3427 Old 11-22-2019, 05:25 PM

Liked: 12
I ordered the 85" a week ago and am so excited to get it. Tracking is aweful from AAFEE's though so I'm not sure when it will finally arrive. Worth the wait though with how much I'm saving! I've been reading through this forum for days. Is there anything I should look out for with the 85"? Ie banding and such.
post #2940 of 3427 Old 11-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronleaker View Post
I ordered the 85" a week ago and am so excited to get it. Tracking is aweful from AAFEE's though so I'm not sure when it will finally arrive. Worth the wait though with how much I'm saving! I've been reading through this forum for days. Is there anything I should look out for with the 85"? Ie banding and such.
That’s awesome, I have the 75 inch. I find the standard setting the best after tweaking it to your viewing environment.

It’s a great set.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony 950g 85"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page