Recommend a budget TV for my mom - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-14-2019, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Question Recommend a budget TV for my mom

Hey guys,

I tend to buy large premium TVs for myself, so I have no idea what's going on in the lower budget segment for TVs. I need to buy a new TV for my mom. She is an elderly woman with bad eyesight, so I don't think it needs all the 4K HDR bells and whistles. It should be a solid TV that lasts a couple of years, it should be energy efficient, easy to use and must have a built in speaker. It should have 55 inches and should be available in Europe (I know that Vizio and TCL are not available where we live).

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Hey guys,

I tend to buy large premium TVs for myself, so I have no idea what's going on in the lower budget segment for TVs. I need to buy a new TV for my mom. She is an elderly woman with bad eyesight, so I don't think it needs all the 4K HDR bells and whistles. It should be a solid TV that lasts a couple of years, it should be energy efficient, easy to use and must have a built in speaker. It should have 55 inches and should be available in Europe (I know that Vizio and TCL are not available where we live).

Any recommendations?
You need a TV that has a remote with old school numbers. I got my mom a Samsung Q6FN 55” and it only has a smart remote.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-14-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Lots of good budget options picture and feature wise, but none of them have good built in sound- every TV in this range will sound tinny and would be extremely hard for an older person the hear speech. The good news is a quality $50 soundbar fixes that issue. If her eyesight is bad anyways and she is the sole viewer, then cheapest TV from a reliable brand like LG and spend a bit more on a soundbar or speakers as she will benefit more from quality sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-14-2019, 09:58 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I bought my mom a Vizio 4k 60" TV last year and it looked great whenever there was no movement on the screen and it looked terrible (motion blur) when there was any movement on the screen. I didn't really want to return it because it was a pain to pack everything back up, but I ended up returning it and buying a Samsung 1020p 60" TV instead that was about the same price as the Vizio 4k. The Samsung looked great still and in motion. I don't know if it is still the case a year later, but I feel that, for a low cost TV, it's better to get a better quality 1080p than a cheap 4k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page