Do all new TVs suck? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 108Likes
Closed Thread

post #91 of 117 Old 01-29-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3864 Post(s)
Liked: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
Yes, they all suck. TV technology has take a HARD step backwards after Plasma in my opinion...

Nope. There are lots of Sony, LG, and Samsung users who are perfectly happy with their tv's and don't consider them to suck at all because they did their research prior to purchasing.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 117 Old 01-29-2019, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Nope. There are lots of Sony, LG, and Samsung users who are perfectly happy with their tv's and don't consider them to suck at all because they did their research prior to purchasing.
Even if you do research, you have to still play the panel lottery and be prepared (extended warranty) if the TV develops defects in future.
post #93 of 117 Old 01-29-2019, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
Even if you do research, you have to still play the panel lottery and be prepared (extended warranty) if the TV develops defects in future.
So like pretty much any electronic product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 117 Old 01-29-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3864 Post(s)
Liked: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post

The panel lottery has been around for a very long time. I remember years ago when the big deal was getting an S-IPS panel (LG) or an S-PVA panel (Samsung). There's always inherent risks in purchasing a tv, and given how fast the technology is changing, there's always going to be a certain degree of risk. I think stating that "all new tv's suck" is too broad of a categorization.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #95 of 117 Old 01-29-2019, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
I just went from a 60" 8500 to a 65" C8. You don't notice the 5". I can't stand LCD, I see every flaw. OLED was the only option for me but in fairness I did not see a good Q9FN. Just as I have had 4 plasma's, I never recommended them to others unless they fit certain criteria. Kids, move on. Wife with TV left on all day, move on, watch same channel with same logo each day regardless of length...move on, play the same game each time it's turned on.... move on.

Vary content, don't use 100 OLED Light and contrast all the time, use common sense. Common sense being the criteria I'm talking about. LCD is the better choice for non enthusiast just like a SUV is better for your wife to go shopping in vs a Ferrari.

If you have a good 8500, I know the OP has a dying one, but if it's good, keep it, wait. I would also get a C9 now over an 8 just for hdmi 2.1 and upgraded chip for better motion. If you have one of the other legendary plasma's from Panny or Pioneer and are viewing mostly 1080/720 content …. wait until your tv dies. 4k is nice, but there are other things besides resolution that make a tv great.

Do I regret my purchase....only if it dies. Do I feel any TV is worth 3k, no. Do I feel every TV is a compromise, yes. Do I feel we as customers put up with compromises and let TV manufactures get away with major flaws further increasing the problem of them putting out trash....yes, this is how LCD got popular to begin with. Speak with your wallet, if it doesn't look good, return it until it does.
I agree with your sentiments. To this day, I'm not sure how LCD won the TV Wars from the early 2000s. Lcd has inferior blacks and spotty motion handling. But due to their superior brightness in the showroom, they were the inferior tech allowed to hang around while DLP rear projection, Plasma,and LCOS TVs bit the dust.
post #96 of 117 Old 01-29-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
I agree with your sentiments. To this day, I'm not sure how LCD won the TV Wars from the early 2000s. Lcd has inferior blacks and spotty motion handling. But due to their superior brightness in the showroom, they were the inferior tech allowed to hang around while DLP rear projection, Plasma,and LCOS TVs bit the dust.
Cheaper to build, hence prices people can afford and plasma was not going to be able to size up to 4k resolution. Forget about 8k.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #97 of 117 Old 01-29-2019, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Yes, they all suck. TV technology has take a HARD step backwards after Plasma in my opinion...
Had a Vt50 for 4 years. It was "best TV of the year" they said, "burn-in wasn't a problem" they said, after 2 months of light usage the problems became rather than obvious, ABL issue, DSE issue and yes I had image retention too.

What I've learnt was you just live with it. No tv without fault.

Last edited by fallengt; 01-29-2019 at 05:11 PM.
post #98 of 117 Old 01-29-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
If your goal is to heat up your room, yes, nothing serves like a plasma. OTOH, if you look at things like resolution, black levels, color accuracy, it's hard to conclude that TV has taken a big step backwards. I would say that's a little extreme.
post #99 of 117 Old 01-29-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Fascinating thread. Likewise, have a plasma (D8000) and am looking to upsize. Really want an 85” but may get a 75”. For our family, an LED makes more sense. What frustrates me is the format “war” that the mfgs have created again. Very irritating that Samsung doesn’t support Dolby Vision. VHS vs Betamax anyone? So only options are LG or Sony. Not bad, but it would be so much easier if the entire market was available instead of less than 50%.
post #100 of 117 Old 01-29-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
I had two DLPs, and they sucked compared to my current 4-5 year old Sammy LED. It, however was calibrated, and that may account for it, but I haven't missed DLP for a minute.

I'm in the one TV for all-round use category, so when I upgrade to 4k or 8k, I will stick with LED. If I had a dedicated theater room, I'd get an OLED for sure. Not sure what all the fuss is about around here between factions.

Dave

post #101 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Slightly OT but here's how my story is evolving.

Went to Best Buy, intent on coming home with an "it'll do"-grade Vizio P55. Dropped the word 'plasma' within earshot of a BB sales guy and he immediately and expertly upsold me to an open-box LG C8 (refurb) for a price I couldn't reasonably refuse.

Took it into what had been a tv-less livingroom, put it up on a stand and my wife was like, "oh hell no." And I was wont to agree with her. Adding what is currently considered a "modest" 55" set to our admittedly small living room immediate turned into a regressive man cave. The sheer girth of these shiny black beasts nowadays is just too much. That said, the TV produces the most objectively perfect image I've seen to date--it really does make my Panny plasma feel like it's from another era. But yeah, too big and vibe-destroying. And while my eyes are good enough to appreciate the refined picture quality and imaging options on offer, after watching a few scenes from my favourite films and streaming an hour of contemporary 4K stuff on Amazon, I had to admit to myself that all of this perfection wasn't really adding anything in the way of joy to my viewing experience. And in some instances the fidelity actually detracted--as I'm sure has been mentioned a zillion times on this forum, I doubt Ridley Scott felt like his prayers had been answered when technology reached the point of finely rendering the model cement residue on the flying cars in Bladerunner.

So the C8 is going back. Our beautiful white wall will be free again, and I'm gonna nab a decent 1080p projector instead and attempt to watch my favourite pre-Y2K films "the way they were intended to be seen": big and slightly imperfect.
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
post #102 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbois View Post
And while my eyes are good enough to appreciate the refined picture quality and imaging options on offer, after watching a few scenes from my favorite films and streaming an hour of contemporary 4K stuff on Amazon, I had to admit to myself that all of this perfection wasn't really adding anything in the way of joy to my viewing experience.
I guess if that guy in the Canada Dry Ginger Ale commercial came up to you and asked you if you wanted to "taste Nirvana," you would refuse.
post #103 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
I guess if that guy in the Canada Dry Ginger Ale commercial came up to you and asked you if you wanted to "taste Nirvana," you would refuse.
Yeah, I've always been more a Schweppes guy.
smitty and SuperFist like this.
post #104 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallengt View Post
Had a Vt50 for 4 years. It was "best TV of the year" they said, "burn-in wasn't a problem" they said, after 2 months of light usage the problems became rather than obvious, ABL issue, DSE issue and yes I had image retention too.

What I've learnt was you just live with it. No tv without fault.
Very odd. I still use my 2008 Panasonic plasma with over 30,000 hours on it. No burn or IR ever. Certainly no ABL issue and no DSE that I could ever notice. How could you possibly suffer burn in on a modern plasma after 2 months of light use? It just doesn't seem plausible.

I also have another 2010 plasma and have two friends with a total of 3 plasmas none of which have ever exhibited any of the issues you're complaining about.
post #105 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbois View Post
Slightly OT but here's how my story is evolving.

Went to Best Buy, intent on coming home with an "it'll do"-grade Vizio P55. Dropped the word 'plasma' within earshot of a BB sales guy and he immediately and expertly upsold me to an open-box LG C8 (refurb) for a price I couldn't reasonably refuse.

Took it into what had been a tv-less livingroom, put it up on a stand and my wife was like, "oh hell no." And I was wont to agree with her. Adding what is currently considered a "modest" 55" set to our admittedly small living room immediate turned into a regressive man cave. The sheer girth of these shiny black beasts nowadays is just too much. That said, the TV produces the most objectively perfect image I've seen to date--it really does make my Panny plasma feel like it's from another era. But yeah, too big and vibe-destroying. And while my eyes are good enough to appreciate the refined picture quality and imaging options on offer, after watching a few scenes from my favourite films and streaming an hour of contemporary 4K stuff on Amazon, I had to admit to myself that all of this perfection wasn't really adding anything in the way of joy to my viewing experience. And in some instances the fidelity actually detracted--as I'm sure has been mentioned a zillion times on this forum, I doubt Ridley Scott felt like his prayers had been answered when technology reached the point of finely rendering the model cement residue on the flying cars in Bladerunner.

So the C8 is going back. Our beautiful white wall will be free again, and I'm gonna nab a decent 1080p projector instead and attempt to watch my favourite pre-Y2K films "the way they were intended to be seen": big and slightly imperfect.
A 55" tv is too big? Wow. That small size looks like a shoe box with feet to me.
smitty and SuperFist like this.

Last edited by RadiantHT; 01-30-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #106 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i use my F8500 as a computer monitor(im on it now) and the whole windows bar at the bottom of the screen is burned in

honestly it doesnt bother me at all

you wont even notice it 99% of the time unless the screen is all white/yellow

it took over 2 years of use for the burn in to happen and i been using it as a computer monitor since the day i got it
post #107 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
far as getting a new tv goes,i also want to finally upgrade to a 4k set and i think I've settled on the C8

im thinking about holding off another year but im not sure why i need hdmi 2.1 yet

i havent read up on it yet
post #108 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Do all new TVs suck

I got a LG C7 which already had its first panel replacement after 1.4 year of use. Even with the measurements OLED burn-ins are going to happen if you do use a oled television as your main one. It’s so annoying to babysit it. That’s why I’m going to buy a new Samsung Q9 or the new X95 from Sony this year to use it for normal watching and gaming uses and the oled would be only a movie/Netflix television. A bit ridiculous that this technology isn’t fit to watch normal television on. Even watching YouTube on an oled is a problem. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who likes to use their television for more than 4 years. I really don’t know a person with a 2015-2016 who can honestly say that they don’t have any kind of BI on their panel. When you show them the color test non of those screens are uniformly. Most of the loud mouthed people who defend their Oleds don’t even own a oled tv that long. And still they think to know how BI works but in reality they are just requoting pronunciations they’ve heard from others.
post #109 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Z9D is the best TV i've used since the XBR 400 Trinitron.
dlbsyst likes this.
post #110 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
I got a LG C7 which already had its first panel replacement after 1.4 year of use. Even with the measurements OLED burn-ins are going to happen if you do use a oled television as your main one. It’s so annoying to babysit it. That’s why I’m going to buy a new Samsung Q9 or the new X95 from Sony this year to use it for normal watching and gaming uses and the oled would be only a movie/Netflix television. A bit ridiculous that this technology isn’t fit to watch normal television on. Even watching YouTube on an oled is a problem. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who likes to use their television for more than 4 years. I really don’t know a person with a 2015-2016 who can honestly say that they don’t have any kind of BI on their panel. When you show them the color test non of those screens are uniformly. Most of the loud mouthed people who defend their Oleds don’t even own a oled tv that long. And still they think to know how BI works but in reality they are just requoting pronunciations they’ve heard from others.
The testing by rtings.com of the more recent OLED's refute several of your comments, as do comments on this forum from people who have used sets from 2015-2016 and who do not have burn in. And as to the remark about "loud mouthed people," well, what was that saying about taking the plank out of your own eye?
post #111 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
I concur. Members who consistently state that the latest OLED are resistant against burn in are the same members who have only had their OLED TVs for less than six months.

Also I found it comical that members company state that there have been measures to all but eliminate burn in with the latest OLED generation. Yet the same members can never tell you exactly what these new precautions are. They can never give you actual details of what new burn in countermeasures have been enacted in the latest generation of OLED panels.
post #112 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 4763
Bickering and condescending posts removed

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #113 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those who are interested in reading the FACTS about whether there is a serious potential for burn-in on recent OLED models, there are a couple of very useful threads over in the OLED forum, including a "master" thread on burn-in. These threads discuss the rtings testing in detail, and knowledgeable forum members like @fafrd and @Kenbar discuss the science, what the rtings tests really show, what is the likelihood of burn-in in various circumstances, and what steps have been taken by manufacturers to deal with the potential for IR and burn-in. There are also posts from people who have owned their OLED sets for a couple of years or who have a few thousand hours on their sets and they report on whether they have suffered burn in, under what circumstances, etc. Highly recommended if you are considering an OLED and want the facts.
post #114 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
A 55" tv is too big? Wow. That small size looks like a shoe box with feet to me.

I know, crazy, right? Thing is, I'm living in a small apartment, the living room is sparsely furnished on purpose to keep it feeling relatively spacious. The moment that big black panel was added to what was previously a plain white wall, it's like the entire room was transformed into a "tv room" rather than a living room. It wasn't a problem when the TV was on and I was admiring shades of napalm orange my eyes had never seen before in Apocalypse Now--that was amazing--but the giant black void the TV created when it was powered off just sucked the life out of the room.

So I'm gonna give a projector a try. That plain white wall can be put to good use this way, and the projector can live in a drawer/shelf when we're not using it. Not expecting anywhere near the image quality of the LG, but the novelty picture size should be fun for a while.
post #115 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 26
New TV’s are better than ever. Whether it be an OLED or High-end LCD you can’t go wrong as either of these will top yesteryears TV’s.

It is arguable whether the panel lottery has gotten worse. Maybe with the forums we’ve all became more aware of flaws.
smitty likes this.
post #116 of 117 Old 01-30-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I had two DLPs, and they sucked compared to my current 4-5 year old Sammy LED. It, however was calibrated, and that may account for it, but I haven't missed DLP for a minute.

I'm in the one TV for all-round use category, so when I upgrade to 4k or 8k, I will stick with LED. If I had a dedicated theater room, I'd get an OLED for sure. Not sure what all the fuss is about around here between factions.
Really? LED TV?
post #117 of 117 Old 01-31-2019, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 2206
Thread closed for continued bickering and OP not posting in his own thread.
gosawx likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page