Samsung Launches 2019 QLED Lineup - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 530Likes

post #451 of 791 Old 02-22-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
Definitely. Contrast and black level perfomance is very important in visiual experience.

Z9G of course. It's top perfomer in Sony 2019 TV range. X95G is rival for Q70/Q80.
So you're comparing Sony's 8K set to Samsung's 4K? That's quite a feather in Samsung's cap!

(Not that I care--I'm looking forward to more reviews, info, and release dates. Not to mention pricing.)

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 791 Old 02-22-2019, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
Definitely. Contrast and black level perfomance is very important in visiual experience.

Z9G of course. It's top perfomer
in Sony 2019 TV range. X95G is rival for Q70/Q80.
I read on a uk forum that the z9g is going to be priced around 30000 sterling, is that true? the price insanity on lcd's is running high. but i am sure there is a crowd for overpriced lcd's.
post #453 of 791 Old 02-22-2019, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
So you're comparing Sony's 8K set to Samsung's 4K? That's quite a feather in Samsung's cap!
I don't care about 8K. I was talking about contrast and black level perfomance when tojo_m asked about

Quote:
For example, dark room, movie usage, zero sports in my case. Based on that it appears that contrast ratio and local dimming are the two top criteria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 791 Old 02-23-2019, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Has it been confirmed that both the 8K and higher end 4K models (Q900 and Q90) will have the same number of dimming zones (i.e. 480)? Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually now considering getting a Samsung to upgrade to a bigger screen size.

I'm basically between these two, the Vizio Quantum X (pending results on color processing; I hate color banding), and the Sony X950F (early impressions do not inspire much confidence on blooming).

Setup:
Display: ISF Pro Calibrated LG OLED65C7P TV 7.1.4 Sound: Denon AVR-X4400H, Sony Stereo (amp), Klipsch: RP-440C, RP-250F x 2, RP-150M x 4, RP-140SA x 4, R-10SW 4K Disc Players: Oppo UDP-203 (Region Free & Dolby Vision), Panasonic DP-UB820 Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K Video-Game Consoles: Xbox One X & PS4 Remotes: Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control with Hub and iPad App
post #455 of 791 Old 02-23-2019, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
I don’t think I’m jumping the gun yet as I’ll take my time to research thoroughly before I buy. Maybe wait for the professional reviews of the PQX to be out before arriving at conclusions? 😉
Anyway, I understand there’s a lot more check boxes than contrast ratio. However, I’m in the market for a large 4K TV this year and the main usage is going to be watching movies in dim lighting. So, I’m trying to gather info for my usage patterns. I’m trying to use the tools at hand such as rting’s TV recommendation tool that you can customize for your situation. For example, dark room, movie usage, zero sports in my case. Based on that it appears that contrast ratio and local dimming are the two top criteria. And yes I would definitely own the OLED in a heartbeat except for their very high prices.
Yet many purchasers didn't like the Vizio's FALD implementation when they tested great on Rtings. For me, I have a lot of faith in Vince from HDTVTEST. I think Imagic on this board gives sensible takes. Does all the techie stuff and then simply gives a comprehensive overview. Unless you can test a set in a dark room yourself, best to find a reviewer that you trust and weighs performance parameters similarly to yourself.

While I find Rtings very useful, I'm less enamored with their politically correct overviews. There's a place for no opinionated data collection but sometimes you don't weigh various parameters optimally or can get miss the forest for the trees. I haven't mentioned this before but look at the motion ratings on the 900f for instance. It gets down rated for not having 60hz BFI yet it's 120hz zonal implementation is the best on the market for any incoming frequency.
srkmish and Keithian like this.

Last edited by js950; 02-23-2019 at 11:49 AM.
post #456 of 791 Old 02-23-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 365
post #457 of 791 Old 02-23-2019, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsonia View Post
most interesting to my needs is the following:HDMI 2.1 preparation

The expected opinion is confirmed - all 4K QLED TVs from the 2019 line are “prepared” for the HDMI 2.1 standard. This means that the corresponding chipsets are already installed in the interface unit. Some features, such as ALLM (low latency auto mode) or VRR (variable refresh rate), have already been offered in models from last year. However, this year should be a full integration of HDMI 2.1.

Thus, 3D sound formats (Dolby Atmos and DTS: X) can be transferred from the TV via eARC to the AV receiver and sound bar, or play content 4K @ 120p. But Samsung standard HDMI 2.1 has not yet officially announced. This is due to different licenses for the old HDMI standard.

So all of the qleds will be 2.1? Just advertised as 2.0b due to not being certified yet? Are they confirmed earc? Im not familiar with what reviewers are highly regarded.
New24K likes this.
post #458 of 791 Old 02-23-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Another glowing writeup , though dissapointed that yet again that there is no mention of motion improvements. I am encouraged by the upscaling improvements. I really hope the issues I have with the Q9fn are due to upscaling issues rather than motion on lower quality sources when I test those same sources on the Q90.
post #459 of 791 Old 02-23-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6850 Post(s)
Liked: 6853
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
I don't follow? Samsung replaces a half baked Q900 with a fully baked Q950 within 100 days. Matsonia is astute enough to protect himself. What is the connection between that and high prices?
They are talking about retail pricing and return policies. They are noting the reason why full retail is so high is because of the excellent return policies that accompany them, of course you could buy on the street for far less but the return policy is not as appealing.

Quote:
Exactly, while the Q900 is a great TV its as you put it a half baked version of the Q950 that they wanted to get out last year. Having the choice to return that TV within 100 days and pick up the Q950 soon makes perfect sense. I wont have any regrets and ill have all the new features.
Ya know, you paid the high price to get the return policy you liked, you could have found it on the street for far less more then likely but you did not.

-- @Matsonia , Since you are not in the USA, the Q950 that you speak of is the 900RB here in the USA right that is coming out shortly? Here in america it seem Samsung wants to confuse us again, we had the 900RA which was last year, and the 900RB in the new model coming out here in a few.

---I wonder if the Q900 will be that much better then the Q90, or are you just getting 8K, I guess we will know for sure when reviews pop up
post #460 of 791 Old 02-23-2019, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

I would imagine the Q900 2019 (Q950 in Europe) is going to be the same as the Q90 but with 8K instead of 4K as all the rest of the changes and upgrades seem identical. The only other change might be the brightness with the 8K sets being brighter.
post #461 of 791 Old 02-23-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post
It was odd. They had a wall of qleds, all of them q9fn. I live about two blocks from the Americana, I’ll check again next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I spoke to the store today because I wanted to know if they have the S10+ on display. I asked when they would get the Q90 on display, the lady puts me on hold, comes back and she says they don't intend to lol. How stupid is that? Why would they have the 2018 models and not 2019?. Hopefully whoever she spoke to didn't know what they were talking about, but I'll press it again when I go check out the S10+.
trevor robison likes this.
post #462 of 791 Old 02-23-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
If that article is indeed correct and the 2019 QLEDs will have the HDMI 2.1 chip already installed - that would be a huge plus.
Terminader likes this.

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #463 of 791 Old 02-23-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Another semi review.
You shouldn't trust ultrahd.su. They just steals and translates articles from another sites and peoples without crediting them, sometime mixing their content.

Original article, as i believe: www .whathifi .com/reviews/samsung-2019-4k-qled

Sorry for my belorussian english
post #464 of 791 Old 02-23-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post

I spoke to the store today because I wanted to know if they have the S10+ on display. I asked when they would get the Q90 on display, the lady puts me on hold, comes back and she says they don't intend to lol. How stupid is that? Why would they have the 2018 models and not 2019?. Hopefully whoever she spoke to didn't know what they were talking about, but I'll press it again when I go check out the S10+.
Got to play with it today, really nice phone which I will most likely pickup, now if only Samsung focused all their effort on making quality panels like they focus on making their phones.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #465 of 791 Old 02-23-2019, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Got to play with it today, really nice phone which I will most likely pickup, now if only Samsung focused all their effort on making quality panels like they focus on making their phones.
Saw the store today. Its a nice store. It felt like an Apple Store advanced. It was funny seeing people in moving chairs with phone VR. I did like the 10+, just didn't think it was enough improvement over my S9+, so will most likely hold off until the Note 10, S11+ or reviews of the overpriced foldable phone :-).

As far as Samsung TVs, I don't know, I feel like my 75" Q9FN is a very high quality product, its not perfect, it has its quirks, but so does every set and TV technology. I just want something even better, and the 82" Q90 is something I'm watching very closely for the even better blacks with more detail, better upscaling, better angles, even better reflection handling, very affordable for me, so I'll be curious to see what users and professional reviewers think before eyeballing and playing with the settings instore myself. It still won't have the inky perfect OLED blacks that I love, but it may come close enough for me to enjoy the other advantages based on my viewing environment and habits.
post #466 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Saw the store today. Its a nice store. It felt like an Apple Store advanced. It was funny seeing people in moving chairs with phone VR. I did like the 10+, just didn't think it was enough improvement over my S9+, so will most likely hold off until the Note 10, S11+ or reviews of the overpriced foldable phone :-).

As far as Samsung TVs, I don't know, I feel like my 75" Q9FN is a very high quality product, its not perfect, it has its quirks, but so does every set and TV technology. I just want something even better, and the 82" Q90 is something I'm watching very closely for the even better blacks with more detail, better upscaling, better angles, even better reflection handling, very affordable for me, so I'll be curious to see what users and professional reviewers think before eyeballing and playing with the settings instore myself. It still won't have the inky perfect OLED blacks that I love, but it may come close enough for me to enjoy the other advantages based on my viewing environment and habits.

You made it out after all! Two floors worth of tech and so much room to have the newer sets on display , but they don’t.

Did you get any info as to why they will not be displaying them!??

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
post #467 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Any insight to how the panel on the Q80R will be? They are using the “wide viewing angle feature” which sounds like IPS? But if it’s a coating allowing wider viewing angle, anyone know if it will hinder contrast like the panel going in to the Sony x950g?

I would snag a Q8F right now if that’s the case. Q8F contrast with FALD enabled is over 7000:1. I hear with Sony’s new x950g it will be 3000:1 with FADL enabled due to the new wide viewing angle feature.
post #468 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle85 View Post
Any insight to how the panel on the Q80R will be? They are using the “wide viewing angle feature” which sounds like IPS? But if it’s a coating allowing wider viewing angle, anyone know if it will hinder contrast like the panel going in to the Sony x950g?

I would snag a Q8F right now if that’s the case. Q8F contrast with FALD enabled is over 7000:1. I hear with Sony’s new x950g it will be 3000:1 with FADL enabled due to the new wide viewing angle feature.
No one knows for sure that the larger 950 panels will hurt contrast or how much yet. Better to wait. That said, It seems like Samsung is on to something.
Turtle85 likes this.
post #469 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
No one knows for sure that the larger 950 panels will hurt contrast or how much yet. Better to wait. That said, It seems like Samsung is on to something.
Seems OLED is the best option in 2019. Apps Samsung should have done was implement more zones into the Q80R which they did. But then they add all these new features. 2018 seemed like a transition for Samsung, and they did well with the Q8F idk why they couldn’t just enhance it. Now they add all these newer features that may or may not be good. Typical Samsung
post #470 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

????? Ya, why would anyone want a company to innovate or improve their wares?
Mikejl likes this.
post #471 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Seems OLED is the best option in 2019. Apps Samsung should have done was implement more zones into the Q80R which they did. But then they add all these new features. 2018 seemed like a transition for Samsung, and they did well with the Q8F idk why they couldn’t just enhance it. Now they add all these newer features that may or may not be good. Typical Samsung
I think you mean that it's the best option 'for you'. For me it wasn't the best option in 2018, and it isn't going to be for 2019.
Mikejl, Ted99, Terminader and 2 others like this.
post #472 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post
You made it out after all! Two floors worth of tech and so much room to have the newer sets on display , but they don’t.

Did you get any info as to why they will not be displaying them!??

I asked the clueless sales person to get me a manager. The manager gave me a generic response that they like feedback and she will submit my feedback. I'm going to write their corporate that if they are using this and the other 2 stores as test stores, they need to up the ante a bit. Even magnolia at best buy would have said to me "let me take down your number and give you a call as soon as we learn more or get one in". Instead, she made herself look stupid.

Anyway, the rest of the folks surrounding the phones as well as others walking around were very helpful and friendly, so it's just the TV section that feels like it's stuck in the past. I'll keep calling them periodically.
post #473 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Its not IPS. I don't understand their solution but early reports are they did a better job than Sony with the range of viewing angle and with preservation of contrast. Now the early reviews are for the q900 and the q90 which have 480 dimming zones so we'll just have to wait and see how well the q80 performs with 96 dimming zones. Its at least worth waiting until they hit the market in two weeks, at which point you can go see for yourself how they look off angle.
post #474 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 416
https://hdguru.com/review-samsung-q9...es-ultra-wide/
samovies10 and New24K like this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #475 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
... why they couldn’t just enhance it. Now they add all these newer features that may or may not be good. Typical Samsung
They just don't know when to stop, do they? They enhance it, and before you can catch your breath, they go and enhance it again! It's so confusing, when it just keeps getting better in an unpredictable way.
Mikejl and js950 like this.

Greg Lee
post #476 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked: 3742
I know this may fall upon deaf ears, but let's see them win (or even land in the top 3 in many cases!) of the grueling shootouts again before we get too excited. The last time Samsung's innovation garnered a critical consensus in such a scenario was 2013. I know, I know, this isn't going to dissuade those who only care about light cannon capability coupled with better viewing angles.
post #477 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post

Two great reviews so far...

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #478 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I know this may fall upon deaf ears, but let's see them win (or even land in the top 3 in many cases!) of the grueling shootouts again before we get too excited. The last time Samsung's innovation garnered a critical consensus in such a scenario was 2013. I know, I know, this isn't going to dissuade those who only care about light cannon capability coupled with better viewing angles.

The problem is what does well in a shootout with a specific aim isn't always the best for a home environment where your not viewing it under a testing environment with a strict set of clips. Sure I would love to see an LCD do well in a shootout but then again look at the ZF9 from last year. It did pretty well in the shootout but got slated in most reviews and by many people much much more than the Q9FN did that got praised in reviews and by many people but failed in the shootout due to many issues. Viewing angels and shadow detail being the main ones if I remember. Without a doubt the Q90 should do much much better if they have the viewing angels close to OLED and I can personally say the shadow detail and dimming is much much improved with the Q900 so the Q90 should be doing much better there.
Keithian likes this.
post #479 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked: 3742
Gotcha'. I posted above as someone contemplating the Z9D on closeout. That's the only possible way forward for me with LCD, full-array zones out the wazoo, even at the expense of viewing angles (I'll just be the selfish viewer and sit perpendicular/in the middle; as the purchaser, I earned it, right? ).
post #480 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah I do certainly wish they would do more zones than just 480 for the flagships. Makes me curious how much more it would actually cost for them to at least double that amount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page