Samsung Launches 2019 QLED Lineup - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 530Likes

post #481 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 318

One Million Zones!
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 791 Old 02-24-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6865 Post(s)
Liked: 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Got to play with it today, really nice phone which I will most likely pickup, now if only Samsung focused all their effort on making quality panels like they focus on making their phones.
I have thought about this before, so a decent laptop with all the goodies, including a fast processor, and a 15" or so screen is about $400. Yet a new Samsung Note phone is $1000. Oh my god the killing that is being made on these phones....I am surprised they even mess with TV's anymore.... I am glad they do though.....
Latinoheat likes this.
post #483 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I have thought about this before, so a decent laptop with all the goodies, including a fast processor, and a 15" or so screen is about $400. Yet a new Samsung Note phone is $1000. Oh my god the killing that is being made on these phones....I am surprised they even mess with TV's anymore.... I am glad they do though.....
Yeah the phone prices these days are pretty damn high. At the same time though You always have your phone on you and use it probably more than anything else in your life. You can't carry your laptop in your pocket all day. While I wish they weren't as expensive as they are for something that I always have on me and use probably more than anything else each day im okay with paying the premium. The thing that impresses me is how good the OLED screens are. The S10 line is supposed to hit 1200 nits and the screens are beautiful on these phone. Its a shame they didn't put as much effort into OLED tv's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvhunter View Post
Its not IPS. I don't understand their solution but early reports are they did a better job than Sony with the range of viewing angle and with preservation of contrast. Now the early reviews are for the q900 and the q90 which have 480 dimming zones so we'll just have to wait and see how well the q80 performs with 96 dimming zones. Its at least worth waiting until they hit the market in two weeks, at which point you can go see for yourself how they look off angle.
Thank you for your kind response. Since the Q90/900 or whatever model it is has been reviewed, I don’t think they mention contrast ratio or if the WVA feature effects the contrast. Guess we shall see. Some pretty killer deals on the Q8F as I find it provides more for your money than the X900F which from what I have read has horrendous blooming. The only reason I’m hesitant is because I love Sony processing, motion and color (more accurate natural) but the X900F seems to get replaced by either the q8 or Vizio P. I’ve had two P65s this year, no good.

I may just snag a 55” Q6F since I’m a gamer and that will provide great Xbox one features plus great PQ
post #485 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
They just don't know when to stop, do they? They enhance it, and before you can catch your breath, they go and enhance it again! It's so confusing, when it just keeps getting better in an unpredictable way.
Again..thanks for your sarcasm.
post #486 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
They just don't know when to stop, do they? They enhance it, and before you can catch your breath, they go and enhance it again! It's so confusing, when it just keeps getting better in an unpredictable way.
Just miss bare bones TVs. They were at least good PQ and quality. We don’t need all this smart crap. I have 10 things that stream.
post #487 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsonia View Post
Yeah the phone prices these days are pretty damn high. At the same time though You always have your phone on you and use it probably more than anything else in your life. You can't carry your laptop in your pocket all day. While I wish they weren't as expensive as they are for something that I always have on me and use probably more than anything else each day im okay with paying the premium. The thing that impresses me is how good the OLED screens are. The S10 line is supposed to hit 1200 nits and the screens are beautiful on these phone. Its a shame they didn't put as much effort into OLED tv's.
There will be burn-ins all over such a bright OLED. Even the current lower nits OLEDs are prone to burn-ins.
post #488 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
There will be burn-ins all over such a bright OLED. Even the current lower nits OLEDs are prone to burn-ins.
Maybe Samsung would have a better method for controlling it though. It wouldn't be the same panels as LG but Samsungs own way of doing OLED. Not going to happen now of course but it does make you wonder what they could have produced when there doing such amazing OLED screens for phones. Then again if they started using Mini LED maybe we wouldn't even need them to do OLED considering what it sounds like there pulling off with 480 zones on the these 2019 sets.
post #489 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle85 View Post
Quote:
Its not IPS. I don't understand their solution but early reports are they did a better job than Sony with the range of viewing angle and with preservation of contrast. Now the early reviews are for the q900 and the q90 which have 480 dimming zones so we'll just have to wait and see how well the q80 performs with 96 dimming zones. Its at least worth waiting until they hit the market in two weeks, at which point you can go see for yourself how they look off angle.
Thank you for your kind response. Since the Q90/900 or whatever model it is has been reviewed, I don’t think they mention contrast ratio or if the WVA feature effects the contrast. Guess we shall see. Some pretty killer deals on the Q8F as I find it provides more for your money than the X900F which from what I have read has horrendous blooming. The only reason I’m hesitant is because I love Sony processing, motion and color (more accurate natural) but the X900F seems to get replaced by either the q8 or Vizio P. I’ve had two P65s this year, no good.

I may just snag a 55” Q6F since I’m a gamer and that will provide great Xbox one features plus great PQ
HDguru.com review says contrast ratio of 22,450:1 on checkerboard pattern for the q90r.
Terminader likes this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #490 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Anyone who has seen the Q90R know if the bezel is about the same color as the Q9FN...?

Samsung lists the Q9FN as midnight black and the new Q90R as carbon silver.

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #491 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
HDguru.com review says contrast ratio of 22,450:1 on checkerboard pattern for the q90r.
About on par with last years Q9FN. Maybe slightly better?
post #492 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadacclaim View Post

Rtings measured the Q9FN at 19018:1.

So, the Q90R is about 15% better.
Terminader likes this.

Shopping List:
post #493 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadacclaim View Post

Rtings measured the Q9FN at 19018:1.

So, the Q90R is about 15% better.
The contrast was measured at level brightness 892 nits and black level 0.04

We need know contrast at 100 nits of brightness as does Rtings

To determine the black level and contrast with Q90 compared to Q9FN
post #494 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Wow. My local Fry's put up the Q900R. Magnificent TV. The Q900R was the only 2019 model they had up so I compared it against the Q9.

Since both of them were running their pre-loaded retail mode, I couldn't see the minor differences. Both picture qualities looked incredible.

The big thing was the Q900R anti-reflective. It made the Q9 look like a mirror in comparison. I could barely make out the outline of my head when I was looking at the Q900R on a black screen. The lights did show up on the Q900R as a reflection but significantly less than the Q9.

I tried to test out angles and degradation of picture, but I couldn't get the screen to not look beautiful when I walk on the side of it. Equally, I thought the Q9 was pretty solid, however, I did notice the brightness level dim when I walked on the side.

If you are near Irving,TX, go check out the Fry's Q900R model. Unbelievable quality.

Side note: I was comparing the Q9 vs x900F, Q9 was playing Solo in 4K. The car chase scene looked really jittery/choppy, however, the x900F was playing Ready Player One and motion look flawless. Is this typically a difference between Samsung and Sony?
Ted99 and kamouflage like this.
post #495 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I know this may fall upon deaf ears, but let's see them win (or even land in the top 3 in many cases!) of the grueling shootouts again before we get too excited. The last time Samsung's innovation garnered a critical consensus in such a scenario was 2013. I know, I know, this isn't going to dissuade those who only care about light cannon capability coupled with better viewing angles.
The shootouts are pretty much all set up to pick the best TV in a light-controlled home theater environment. I have no doubt OLED will continue to hold an advantage there in 2019. Until there's a shootout that takes into account off-axis viewing, reflection handling, and sunlight-induced washout, I fail to see why it should be the final arbiter of what TV I put in my living room.

My 10-year old plasma looks fantastic at 11:00 PM in a dark room - I don't even really feel the need for HDR in that environment. And it has unlimited viewing angles and oodles of motion resolution. But try to watch a dark scene at 3:00PM with light streaming in the room? It's almost useless.

There is no one "best" TV. There is only what works best, for you. People really need to stop with the black vs. white format fanboying. More better TVs, of both current technology formats, is good - for everyone.
post #496 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 12:53 PM

With the crazy tech. I would be surprised if we see OLED in 2020.
post #497 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
Wow. My local Fry's put up the Q900R. Magnificent TV. The Q900R was the only 2019 model they had up so I compared it against the Q9.

Since both of them were running their pre-loaded retail mode, I couldn't see the minor differences. Both picture qualities looked incredible.

The big thing was the Q900R anti-reflective. It made the Q9 look like a mirror in comparison. I could barely make out the outline of my head when I was looking at the Q900R on a black screen. The lights did show up on the Q900R as a reflection but significantly less than the Q9.

I tried to test out angles and degradation of picture, but I couldn't get the screen to not look beautiful when I walk on the side of it. Equally, I thought the Q9 was pretty solid, however, I did notice the brightness level dim when I walked on the side.

If you are near Irving,TX, go check out the Fry's Q900R model. Unbelievable quality.

Side note: I was comparing the Q9 vs x900F, Q9 was playing Solo in 4K. The car chase scene looked really jittery/choppy, however, the x900F was playing Ready Player One and motion look flawless. Is this typically a difference between Samsung and Sony?
Have to know motion settings on each. Though Sony reigns supreme when it comes to motion interpolation. The Samsung was prolly in torch mode aka vivid which enables all the artificial crap. The Sony could have been too but it does a much better job with it enabled.

If both motion features were OFF then I would say yes that’s the difference but without knowing, we couldn’t tell you. I did hear issues with the 2018 motion on the QLEDs but nothing that was a deal breaker. Refer to rtings.com as well. They talk about the Samsung’s motion having some minute issues but overall excellent. Geez the P65 I returned had great motion so I can’t imagine Samsung being bad. I always felt Samsung has that SOE anyway with or without motion features on.
post #498 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Have to know motion settings on each. Though Sony reigns supreme when it comes to motion interpolation. The Samsung was prolly in torch mode aka vivid which enables all the artificial crap. The Sony could have been too but it does a much better job with it enabled.

If both motion features were OFF then I would say yes that’s the difference but without knowing, we couldn’t tell you. I did hear issues with the 2018 motion on the QLEDs but nothing that was a deal breaker. Refer to rtings.com as well. They talk about the Samsung’s motion having some minute issues but overall excellent. Geez the P65 I returned had great motion so I can’t imagine Samsung being bad. I always felt Samsung has that SOE anyway with or without motion features on.
That was another thing I was thinking. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, like as soon as the car drifted, it looked horrible.

I couldn't watch live feeds in Fry's but the preloaded stuff looked great on both the Q9 and Q900R with motion.
post #499 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
That was another thing I was thinking. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, like as soon as the car drifted, it looked horrible.

I couldn't watch live feeds in Fry's but the preloaded stuff looked great on both the Q9 and Q900R with motion.
I’m not a big Sammy fan but they finally are ridding of edge lit for the most part. And these look very promising. I’m looking into the Q80R as I feel the Q70R will just be the Q8F of this year for 2019.

But I’m sure motion is fine on the Sammy don’t judge by store
post #500 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I’m not a big Sammy fan but they finally are ridding of edge lit for the most part. And these look very promising. I’m looking into the Q80R as I feel the Q70R will just be the Q8F of this year for 2019.

Thank you. Agree with you on the Q70R being the Q8 maybe slightly improved.

The only thing I am kicking the tires on is the Q90R over the Q80R so IF the rumors are true then it would get HDMI 2.1 features that I would need 4k @ 120fps.
Terminader likes this.
post #501 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

I've been told the Q70 is basically a full array Q6 since it'll have no anti glare filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65" Sony A9F
Arcam SR250
Bowers & Wilkins 702s
REL T7i
post #502 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
I've been told the Q70 is basically a full array Q6 since it'll have no anti glare filter.

Probably close to last years Q8 overall and though the lack of anti reflection screen will hurt blacks a bit, I suspect the dimming algorithm and scaling has improved.
post #503 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post

Yea I’m gonna wait for reviews of the Q80R, and if it ends wiTh “get whatever’s cheaper” between the Q8F and Q80R then I will do that. If the Q8F is still avaible
post #504 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
The shootouts are pretty much all set up to pick the best TV in a light-controlled home theater environment. I have no doubt OLED will continue to hold an advantage there in 2019. Until there's a shootout that takes into account off-axis viewing, reflection handling, and sunlight-induced washout, I fail to see why it should be the final arbiter of what TV I put in my living room.

My 10-year old plasma looks fantastic at 11:00 PM in a dark room - I don't even really feel the need for HDR in that environment. And it has unlimited viewing angles and oodles of motion resolution. But try to watch a dark scene at 3:00PM with light streaming in the room? It's almost useless.

There is no one "best" TV. There is only what works best, for you. People really need to stop with the black vs. white format fanboying. More better TVs, of both current technology formats, is good - for everyone.
Yeah right, the shootouts don't announce lcd as the winners, so let's denounce them. The tv's are setup in a light controlled environment simply because that is the correct and more scientifically accurate way for critical picture quality evaluation. When projectors are pitted against each other and compared for PQ, they are also setup in a light controlled environment, because it is the apt environment.
What do you want the shootouts to do, put the tv's in a porch and run news channels on them to compare PQ?

Considering that lcd fans say that higher nits provide more 'impact' to HDR, shouldn't ~2000 nits lcd's have a clear cut advantage in HDR 'impact' in a light controlled environment when compared to a 800 nit oled? Yet in the US shootouts or in the shootouts that vincent teoh hosts in the uk, these high nits lcd's are unable to beat oled in the hdr category, why do you think that is?
post #505 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Yeah right, the shootouts don't announce lcd as the winners, so let's denounce them. The tv's are setup in a light controlled environment simply because that is the correct and more scientifically accurate way for critical picture quality evaluation. When projectors are pitted against each other and compared for PQ, they are also setup in a light controlled environment, because it is the apt environment.
What do you want the shootouts to do, put the tv's in a porch and run news channels on them to compare PQ?

Considering that lcd fans say that higher nits provide more 'impact' to HDR, shouldn't ~2000 nits lcd's have a clear cut advantage in HDR 'impact' in a light controlled environment when compared to a 800 nit oled? Yet in the US shootouts or in the shootouts that vincent teoh hosts in the uk, these high nits lcd's are unable to beat oled in the hdr category, why do you think that is?

Is there a reason you are posting this in the Samsung Launches 2019 QLED Lineup thread?
Mikejl and plamen80 like this.

Shopping List:
post #506 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, well, after the latest (in a long string of) test results from Rtings on OLED image retention and burn in - most here are interested in the QLED because they don't want OLED.

The new 2019 QLEDs, from the reviewers who have seen them, are the closest thing to OLED without having to worry about image retention and burn in.

They also are much brighter, able to portray HDR content much better, and have a higher color volume.

I would guess everyone in here knows the pluses and minuses of each tech. - and is here because they are interested in what QLED has to offer.
Mikejl, Ted99 and Cuthalu like this.

Shopping List:
post #507 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerBronnJames View Post
Dude you’ve been in here since the 3rd page. “Samsung still makes tv's? Haven't had one in a long time. The last good samsung tv was the F8500. But seriously these rebranded fald lcd's using a couple hundred dimmable zones under a fancy name does what? They are mediocre tv's and the technology behind them has hit a brick wall. There is no more innovation to be had here. Samsung, what happened to your quantum dot oled? You were researching one, that technology is your only ticket to compete with lg on a technical level and being relevant again to videophiles.”

As a new user it’s been a huge pain scrolling past all your nonsense. I understand OLED has a better picture quality currently, but I will never spend thousands on a tv that can burn in, and I watch in a very bright room so LCD is better for my needs. Please go argue somewhere else so we can discuss the new QLEDs in here.
And yet here you are,still taking the time to respond to my post and even quoting an old post of mine. And i dont care you might watch your tv in a sun drenched porch, that doesn't mean it's the correct environment to evaluate picture quality.
Yeah I’m responding to you so you know how much everyone in here would like you to go away. This thread has NOTHING to do with OLED vs QLED, and btw can you even read? I said in my post OLED has the best picture quality and you’re STILL trying to argue about it lmao. Go find a better use of your time
Ted99, Cuthalu and plamen80 like this.
post #508 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Your treating this like an OLED vs LCD thing.. We don't need that rubbish in here. Just because this is an LCD thread doesn't mean were LCD fanboys and think its the greatest. Many of us purely just don't like OLED for the environment and viewing experience we want. Its nothing to do with OLED or LCD being better. For me the biggest innovations at the moment are coming from LCD and im excited to see what these 2019 models are like. It just gets tiresome seeing the same people coming in here in defensive mode and saying the same things we've heard a hundred times.
And yet you don't find it rubbish when lcd lovers sound off like jet engines on oled "burn in" even though they have no interest in oled. I can quote you dozens of such posts, from this section alone, let alone the oled section.
Gillietalls and dfa973 like this.
post #509 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerBronnJames View Post
As a new user it’s been a huge pain scrolling past all your nonsense.
FYI, you can click on his name, then view his profile, go to lists, then add him to your ignore list.
plamen80 likes this.
post #510 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Quote:
Your treating this like an OLED vs LCD thing.. We don't need that rubbish in here. Just because this is an LCD thread doesn't mean were LCD fanboys and think its the greatest. Many of us purely just don't like OLED for the environment and viewing experience we want. Its nothing to do with OLED or LCD being better. For me the biggest innovations at the moment are coming from LCD and im excited to see what these 2019 models are like. It just gets tiresome seeing the same people coming in here in defensive mode and saying the same things we've heard a hundred times.
And yet you don't find it rubbish when lcd lovers sound off like jet engines on oled "burn in" even though they have no interest in oled. I can quote you dozens of such posts, from this section alone, let alone the oled section.
I would buy a 77c9 the day it comes out if it didn’t burn in, I am plenty interested. Are you suggesting OLED burn in is not a relevant topic in OLED threads?? The issue is you’re treating this like some stupid fanboy war when we’re in here actually trying to make a buying decision. There are plenty of forums where you can go do that juvenile crap.
Mikejl, kp117 and Cuthalu like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page