Samsung Launches 2019 QLED Lineup - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 530Likes

post #511 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerBronnJames View Post
As a new user it’s been a huge pain scrolling past all your nonsense.
FYI, you can click on his name, then view his profile, go to lists, then add him to your ignore list. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Done. Thank you!!
plamen80 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
And yet you don't find it rubbish when lcd lovers sound off like jet engines on oled "burn in" even though they have no interest in oled. I can quote you dozens of such posts, from this section alone, let alone the oled section.
I already mentioned once about the burn in topic in this thread..You realise how childish your reply sounds right? You have clearly no interest in these models so why do you even want to be in this thread when you have nothing of meaning to say.
Mikejl, Cuthalu and plamen80 like this.
post #513 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4313 Post(s)
Liked: 3747
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
The shootouts are pretty much all set up to pick the best TV in a light-controlled home theater environment. I have no doubt OLED will continue to hold an advantage there in 2019. Until there's a shootout that takes into account off-axis viewing, reflection handling, and sunlight-induced washout, I fail to see why it should be the final arbiter of what TV I put in my living room.

My 10-year old plasma looks fantastic at 11:00 PM in a dark room - I don't even really feel the need for HDR in that environment. And it has unlimited viewing angles and oodles of motion resolution. But try to watch a dark scene at 3:00PM with light streaming in the room? It's almost useless.

There is no one "best" TV. There is only what works best, for you. People really need to stop with the black vs. white format fanboying. More better TVs, of both current technology formats, is good - for everyone.
So, I have sunlight streaming in my great room with an OLED and if I need to give it a little boost, I simply close the blinds. In this subforum, it is correct that there is no "best" TV because distracted viewing is placed in the same category as directed, cinematic viewing. I've never seen it that way, and I never will. Any fanboying you perceive on my part is because emissive is barely holding on by a thread and that's only thanks to its success in the premium market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
^This new user may also be reminded that he's no longer on fb or a yt comments section, lambasting posts as 'nonsense' is not what a science based forum is about, you should try to refute the point being made in the posts. He quotes an old post of mine from page 3 writing it off as nonsense, but he has no rebuttal to the point i made. these kind of 'comebacks' are better suited for social media or a yt comments section.

This isn't a "you should try to refute the post being made" thread.

People don't come here to "refute" anything - they want to come to this thread to learn about the new 2019 QLEDs like the post topic states.

Moderator notified.

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X

Last edited by New24K; 02-25-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #515 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 379 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Stay on topic...don't discuss each other. Discuss products.
KB1111 likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #516 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Still debating on what to get for 2019. The anti reflection is legit though.
post #517 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
Agree the ar coating looks impressive.
ray0414 likes this.
post #518 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
In hopes of bringing back fun conversation relating to Samsung's announcement...

I find it very intriguing that sammy is apparently still trying to stick it to Dolby and use their market position to make Vision irrelevant. They're just ignoring it, as if it didn't exist or will soon go away.

On the other hand, maybe they do believe it really is irrelevant. Im not sure how much of the buying public even know or care about the hdr format war, suggesting to me that most sammy buyers won't even notice (for example) that MI fallout displays in HDR10 instead of DV, even though it says DV on the package and the non-sammy spinner that is playing the disk. So what is sammy's end game here, in that their flagship, highest pq display won't support Vision? It can't be about the cost (budget TVs support it)... so what is it?
post #519 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlleno View Post
In hopes of bringing back fun conversation relating to Samsung's announcement...

I find it very intriguing that sammy is apparently still trying to stick it to Dolby and use their market position to make Vision irrelevant. They're just ignoring it, as if it didn't exist or will soon go away.

On the other hand, maybe they do believe it really is irrelevant. Im not sure how much of the buying public even know or care about the hdr format war, suggesting to me that most sammy buyers won't even notice (for example) that MI fallout displays in HDR10 instead of DV, even though it says DV on the package and the non-sammy spinner that is playing the disk. So what is sammy's end game here, in that their flagship, highest pq display won't support Vision? It can't be about the cost (budget TVs support it)... so what is it?

Good question...

Because even their partner in the HDR10+ format and last holdout beside Samsung, Panasonic, saw the light and their new flagship Blu-ray players and OLED TVs have Dolby Vision for 2019 now.

So Panasonic now has Dolby Vision - not sure what Samsung's thinking is.

Shopping List:
post #520 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3099 Post(s)
Liked: 3817
@dlleno you are right...the vast majority of buyers...outside AVS, dont really know or really care about the formats. In the some cases, depending on the brand, both formats are so close it would be hard to distinguish the two. Imo i just dont think they want to pay the royalties and think their version is as good or better.

Last edited by Cam1977; 02-25-2019 at 07:43 PM.
post #521 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
This isn't a "you should try to refute the post being made" thread.

People don't come here to "refute" anything - they want to come to this thread to learn about the new 2019 QLEDs like the post topic states.

Moderator notified.
If there were less pretentious, misleading and downright wrongheaded comments about OLED I think you'll find less posts from those attempting to set the record straight. This isn't a "I can unfairly disparage OLED all I want without concern of a rebuttal because it's a LCD oriented thread" either.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)

Last edited by venus933; 02-25-2019 at 07:50 PM.
post #522 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am just hoping that the "rumors" of HDMI 2.1 on the 2019 QLEDs come to fruition.

HDMI 2.1, better viewing angles that rival OLED, more saturated colors, better up-scaling, better local dimming algorithms, etc. for 2019.

And at lower prices than last year.

Mighty interesting.

Shopping List:
post #523 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
I am in the same boat. I have the 2018 Q9FN and right now I am debating between the 2019 LG OLED and the 2019 replacement of the Q9FN. I love a bright HDR image, but also like deep blacks. The set will be 90% for gaming. The biggest thing that has me leaning to the LG is the HDMI 2.1, eArc. Both of which the 2019 Q9FN replacement has not been confirmed. I like using Free Sync/VRR, but right now if I want to use it I have to not use my Atmos setup. So it is a toss up at times. If Samsung would confirm eARc the decision would be a lot harder as things so far sound really good.

-Hawkmoon
post #524 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6856 Post(s)
Liked: 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Got to play with it today, really nice phone which I will most likely pickup, now if only Samsung focused all their effort on making quality panels like they focus on making their phones.
I just updated to a new Note 4....LOL, works great and nice and cheap since it is so old, I do not understand how these guys get new "old" phones....

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
There will be burn-ins all over such a bright OLED. Even the current lower nits OLEDs are prone to burn-ins.
I have slight burn in on my phone.

Quote:
Wow. My local Fry's put up the Q900R. Magnificent TV. The Q900R was the only 2019 model they had up so I compared it against the Q9.
Excellent, that means these will be hitting shelf's everywhere shortly. Nice that there highest end unit is coming out first
post #525 of 791 Old 02-25-2019, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Samsung Q90R

Samsung Q90R is tested and reviewed on HD Guru website.
iphilologos likes this.
post #526 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So things look interesting in the big screen (75"+) top end TV market. You have the Samsung Q90 82" at $6500 and the Q900 75" and the LG C9 both at $7k (all MSRP). The Q80 82" is perhaps a wildcard, but we don't know its MSRP and there's been virtually no early reviews or impressions of it that I've seen. Anyway, I highly doubt that it can even come close in PQ among these 3, but since it'll probably be $1k or so cheaper, I'd love to be wrong about that. The 82" Q900 at $10k, I don't consider to be price competitive to these because of the relative cost per inch and the fact that it will depreciate much faster than the others (in case you want to sell it in 12-24 months). I'm in the market for one of these TVs to replace my 65" Sony A1E because I want something bigger. The question will be just how much lower quality the Q90 is relative to the Q900 and C9. The Q90 screen is about ~20% bigger and the price is ~7% less. If it's close enough (obviously relative per person and usage), that's the one I'll get.

The problem for me of going from OLED to LCD is that I immediately notice blooming, poor blacks, and poor viewing angles. But, the sheer size and immersion is a huge advantage with large LCDs. That's why I'm hoping the 82" Q90 is close enough. I'd consider the Q900 over the C9 because it might be more future proof at 8K and using the upscaling for games and other content. But I'm biased towards the look of OLED and I assume that the C9 will best the Q900 by a decent enough margin to make me pick it in a choice between the two, until and unless reviews prove me wrong about that. As far as brightness is concerned, I work during the day and so most of my TV viewing is at night. OLED is bright enough for the times I do watch during the day and obviously (thus far) bests everything else at night, which is why I have one. I don't game on it much, but if I wasn't concerned about BI, which I wouldn't be if I had LCD, I probably would game on my TV more.

The other option is the discounted pricing of the 77" C8 and even the 77" A1E. I won't mention pricing, since it's not allowed here, but we all know that they're discounted by thousands. If these new TVs aren't substantially better than the 2018s, and they might not be, then I might go that route.
post #527 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
I am just hoping that the "rumors" of HDMI 2.1 on the 2019 QLEDs come to fruition.

HDMI 2.1, better viewing angles that rival OLED, more saturated colors, better up-scaling, better local dimming algorithms, etc. for 2019.

And at lower prices than last year.

Mighty interesting.

From the info I got, it is hdmi 2.1 ready. It is up to Samsung hq to decide what features they want to bring...or not

I am not expecting a full hdmi 2.1 but most of the key features people need. We need to keep vigilant...promises promises

I love the Q90r and the q85r/Q80R are especially interesting (sweet spot?) despite 96 zones...
It will all come down to price and performance...

still, the bigger you go the more zone you want...I just need 55 but for the giant sizes, Q90r is the way to go probably
post #528 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav99l View Post
So things look interesting in the big screen (75"+) top end TV market. You have the Samsung Q90 82" at $6500 and the Q900 75" and the LG C9 both at $7k (all MSRP). The Q80 82" is perhaps a wildcard, but we don't know its MSRP and there's been virtually no early reviews or impressions of it that I've seen. Anyway, I highly doubt that it can even come close in PQ among these 3, but since it'll probably be $1k or so cheaper, I'd love to be wrong about that. The 82" Q900 at $10k, I don't consider to be price competitive to these because of the relative cost per inch and the fact that it will depreciate much faster than the others (in case you want to sell it in 12-24 months). I'm in the market for one of these TVs to replace my 65" Sony A1E because I want something bigger. The question will be just how much lower quality the Q90 is relative to the Q900 and C9. The Q90 screen is about ~20% bigger and the price is ~7% less. If it's close enough (obviously relative per person and usage), that's the one I'll get.

The problem for me of going from OLED to LCD is that I immediately notice blooming, poor blacks, and poor viewing angles. But, the sheer size and immersion is a huge advantage with large LCDs. That's why I'm hoping the 82" Q90 is close enough. I'd consider the Q900 over the C9 because it might be more future proof at 8K and using the upscaling for games and other content. But I'm biased towards the look of OLED and I assume that the C9 will best the Q900 by a decent enough margin to make me pick it in a choice between the two, until and unless reviews prove me wrong about that. As far as brightness is concerned, I work during the day and so most of my TV viewing is at night. OLED is bright enough for the times I do watch during the day and obviously (thus far) bests everything else at night, which is why I have one. I don't game on it much, but if I wasn't concerned about BI, which I wouldn't be if I had LCD, I probably would game on my TV more.

The other option is the discounted pricing of the 77" C8 and even the 77" A1E. I won't mention pricing, since it's not allowed here, but we all know that they're discounted by thousands. If these new TVs aren't substantially better than the 2018s, and they might not be, then I might go that route.
I’m basically in the same boat as you. I currently have a 65” OLED (LG) and I want a bigger screen. After all the early impressions and specs, I’m basically between a 77” OLED and the 82” Q90R. Going by an early review (HDGuru) and impressions, it seems the Q90 has minimal blooming with great blacks, improved contrast, and good wide viewing angles that do not degrade blacks or make blooming worse (unlike the Sony models). I believe HDGuru even said the angles are better than an OLED since the colors stay more accurate at an angle. They also mentioned improved dimming algorithm over the 2018 model. When they measured contrast with a checkerboard pattern with high nits they got .04 nits for blacks and ~900 nits for whites, providing a contrast of ~22,000:1. So it seems their per-pixel dimming was improved as well.

Of course we need more reviews for it but the Q90R seems to be the best bet so far for 75”+ sizes.

As much as I like OLED, a bigger size for cheaper does sound really appealing, especially when it’s over 80”. If the blooming is really hardly noticeable like it has been mentioned, I’ll probably go for that one. I used to be very adamant about Samsung but they seem to really have stepped it up with their technology this year. I do wish their models had more dimming zones, but at this point I think we’ll just have to wait for miniLED to become a thing. The lack of Dolby Vision also gives me pause, but with a good tone-mapping player like the Panasonic 820, I feel like I’m not sacrificing much by not having it. At this point I can’t wait for more reviews lol.

Setup:
Display: ISF Pro Calibrated LG OLED65C7P TV 7.1.4 Sound: Denon AVR-X4400H, Sony Stereo (amp), Klipsch: RP-440C, RP-250F x 2, RP-150M x 4, RP-140SA x 4, R-10SW 4K Disc Players: Oppo UDP-203 (Region Free & Dolby Vision), Panasonic DP-UB820 Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K Video-Game Consoles: Xbox One X & PS4 Remotes: Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control with Hub and iPad App
post #529 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Quote:
I am in the same boat. I have the 2018 Q9FN and right now I am debating between the 2019 LG OLED and the 2019 replacement of the Q9FN. I love a bright HDR image, but also like deep blacks. The set will be 90% for gaming. The biggest thing that has me leaning to the LG is the HDMI 2.1, eArc. Both of which the 2019 Q9FN replacement has not been confirmed. I like using Free Sync/VRR, but right now if I want to use it I have to not use my Atmos setup. So it is a toss up at times. If Samsung would confirm eARc the decision would be a lot harder as things so far sound really good.
same here. If they would confirm or deny eARC it will make up my mind, probably q70 65” as im not worried about viewing angles or dimming zones. Possibly even q60, 90% is xbox 1x gaming
post #530 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
So, I have sunlight streaming in my great room with an OLED and if I need to give it a little boost, I simply close the blinds. In this subforum, it is correct that there is no "best" TV because distracted viewing is placed in the same category as directed, cinematic viewing. I've never seen it that way, and I never will. Any fanboying you perceive on my part is because emissive is barely holding on by a thread and that's only thanks to its success in the premium market.
Cool. You do you, and I'll do me. Since I'm looking for a living room TV, and not a dedicated home theater display, "distracted" viewing certainly plays into my decision. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

Enjoy your OLED.
Mikejl, tvhunter, Top_Cat and 2 others like this.

Last edited by WRXpilot; 02-26-2019 at 09:18 AM.
post #531 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Cool. You do you, and I'll do me. Since I'm looking for a living room TV, and not a dedicated home theater display, "distracted" viewing certainly plays into my decision. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

Enjoy your OLED.
Well said and we sound very similar wrt priorities. I have a 10+ year old plasma which is still pretty decent for night time viewing and still handles sports better than any of these new 4k tvs but is terrible when trying to view dark scene details during day time viewing, partly due to age and partly due to the inherent limitations of plasma. Still trying to decide between OLED and an LCD with solid viewing angles but having the potential for such a brightness boost is a plus for these new Samsungs. Still not sure and it will likely come down to price as did my decision with plasmas back in the day. Its just nice to have a few solid options coming from plasma where I previously felt like OLED was my only option.

And while I think burn in fears are overstated I don't rule out the risk of it entirely so that is another thing in favor of these tvs. I've never seen it on my plasmas but am not sure if cranking up brightness on an OLED would make the possibility greater.

Now if I could only get Samsung [email protected] to work!
post #532 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Something can be well said without being snarky. And yes, cranking up the brightness on an OLED above and beyond plasma capability can make it more susceptible to burn-in, something the most stalwart emissive enthusiasts won't admit (I'm more nuanced than that). The brightness race is the culprit.

Quote:

Enjoy your OLED.
I'm not sure why you (and your likers) really seem to take this personally, almost as if I threatened your firstborn. I'm actually looking into the last great 3D LCD TV, the XBR759Z9D, since I still enjoy 3D viewing and would like to spare the OLED due to aging/burn-in worries. This too requires compromise since the viewing angle situation won't be ideal, but the threshold of black level performance it set for LCD in 2016 is not going to be matched by any TV 3 years later with a predominantly smaller number of zones. That's just physics and another visual compromise that one has to consider, even in a great room with daytime light intrusion. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

Last edited by video_analysis; 02-26-2019 at 11:57 AM.
post #533 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
Stay on topic...don't discuss each other. Discuss products.

As the moderator has stated just a few short posts up - stay on topic.

The topic of this thread is: Samsung Launches 2019 QLED Lineup

Shopping List:
post #534 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No need to hold me to a higher standard than the others with armchair moderating when responding to snarky remarks. My quote, "This too requires compromise since the viewing angle situation won't be ideal, but the threshold of black level performance it set for LCD in 2016 is not going to be matched by any TV 3 years later with a predominantly smaller number of zones" is a reference to this TV series. Sorry if that was too vague. I got the message loud and clear, though. My perspective is not welcomed here. I will save you the trouble of needing to read any further posts.
Gillietalls likes this.
post #535 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Please someone make it stop

Back to the topic, what do we know about the anti reflective coating compared to 2018? Sounds like sammy is claiming better but are there any comparisons yet?
Ted99, Terminader and Keithian like this.
post #536 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:

Back to the topic, what do we know about the anti reflective coating compared to 2018? Sounds like sammy is claiming better but are there any comparisons yet?
Somebody up above mentioned that they could see the difference quite clearly and that it was another step forward. A professional also wrote that they could still see a bright light in the reflection, but it was greatly improved. If your use case is a windowed or bright room where you don't want to have to darken everything to enjoy the picture, this would be a strong candidate which is one of a couple of reasons it has my attention.... along with the 82" at an affordable price, viewing angle, better details in blacks, and I hope resolution of some of the either motion or upscaling issues I have on lower quality sources with certain channels on my Q9fn. Most 1080p and above via Netflix, Prime, or Vudu to me looks fantastic on the 2018 model. Some things just could be a bit better
Ted99 likes this.
post #537 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I believe it was HDGuru (and possibly other articles) where they had the 2018 model next to the Q90R and they said the reflections were considerably reduced. Reflections became more apparent at an angle, but overall they were more reduced compared to the 2018 model.

Setup:
Display: ISF Pro Calibrated LG OLED65C7P TV 7.1.4 Sound: Denon AVR-X4400H, Sony Stereo (amp), Klipsch: RP-440C, RP-250F x 2, RP-150M x 4, RP-140SA x 4, R-10SW 4K Disc Players: Oppo UDP-203 (Region Free & Dolby Vision), Panasonic DP-UB820 Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K Video-Game Consoles: Xbox One X & PS4 Remotes: Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control with Hub and iPad App
post #538 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattyman407 View Post
I’m about to pull the trigger on the 75” Q9FN because I currently have the 65” edge-lit Q9F with terrible banding and I thought the FALD Q9FN doesn’t have it? Is the banding terrible in yours?
Sorry, I saw this question pretty late. Pretty much every single 65-inch Q9FN set I tried had very unacceptable banding. I eventually tried two 75-inch sets. The first set was the closest thing to flawless as I have ever gotten in regards to uniformity on a Samsung TV. Unfortunately, a cluster of dead pixels on the upper right of the screen completely ruined the set for me. The 2nd set was decent but it had 4 very thin vertical streaks in different parts of the screen.

It's interesting because I checked the screen uniformity on a close friend's TV a few days ago. He has a 65-inch Samsung that is probably 7-8 years old and the uniformity was less than desirable. However, when I was gaming on it, the panel imperfections are not distracting at all. I think it's because it's not as bright as the flagship LED TVs of today because if I had that same uniformity on a Q9FN, the TV would be returned the same day.

I'm now 100% convinced that these super bright TVs really exacerbate uniformity issues that older TVs would get away with. This kinda sucks because bright TVs are essential for impactful HDR.
post #539 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 View Post
Sorry, I saw this question pretty late. Pretty much every single 65-inch Q9FN set I tried had very unacceptable banding. I eventually tried two 75-inch sets. The first set was the closest thing to flawless as I have ever gotten in regards to uniformity on a Samsung TV. Unfortunately, a cluster of dead pixels on the upper right of the screen completely ruined the set for me. The 2nd set was decent but it had 4 very thin vertical streaks in different parts of the screen.

It's interesting because I checked the screen uniformity on a close friend's TV a few days ago. He has a 65-inch Samsung that is probably 7-8 years old and the uniformity was less than desirable. However, when I was gaming on it, the panel imperfections are not distracting at all. I think it's because it's not as bright as the flagship LED TVs of today because if I had that same uniformity on a Q9FN, the TV would be returned the same day.

I'm now 100% convinced that these super bright TVs really exacerbate uniformity issues that older TVs would get away with. This kinda sucks because bright TVs are essential for impactful HDR.
So what is the end consumer supposed to do?

I agree with you completely. I am afraid of the uniformity issues with the Q80R if I end up getting it. It's why I am considering just settling for a wonderfully priced x900F and letting tech settle itself out for the next 2-4 years. None the less, I am still impatiently sitting on my hands until we get more reviews on the TVs.

Please don't say get OLED you might start a war
Iluv4k likes this.
post #540 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy2018 View Post
From the info I got, it is hdmi 2.1 ready. It is up to Samsung hq to decide what features they want to bring...or not

I am not expecting a full hdmi 2.1 but most of the key features people need. We need to keep vigilant...promises promises

I love the Q90r and the q85r/Q80R are especially interesting (sweet spot?) despite 96 zones...
It will all come down to price and performance...

still, the bigger you go the more zone you want...I just need 55 but for the giant sizes, Q90r is the way to go probably

Yeah, there seems to be some conflicting information going around... Forbes, John Archer, stated that so far only the Samsung 8K QLED would be getting HDMI 2.1.

If the 2019 QLEDs don't have HDMI 2.1 (when we know the 2020 ones will) - it is going to be a hard sell for a lot of people - especially since LG has confirmed full HDMI 2.1 on their OLEDs for this year.

No Dolby Vision AND no HDMI 2.1 on this year's QLEDs is going to be tough to swallow.

Shopping List:

Last edited by New24K; 02-26-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page