Samsung Launches 2019 QLED Lineup - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 530Likes

post #541 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 View Post
Sorry, I saw this question pretty late. Pretty much every single 65-inch Q9FN set I tried had very unacceptable banding. I eventually tried two 75-inch sets. The first set was the closest thing to flawless as I have ever gotten in regards to uniformity on a Samsung TV. Unfortunately, a cluster of dead pixels on the upper right of the screen completely ruined the set for me. The 2nd set was decent but it had 4 very thin vertical streaks in different parts of the screen.

It's interesting because I checked the screen uniformity on a close friend's TV a few days ago. He has a 65-inch Samsung that is probably 7-8 years old and the uniformity was less than desirable. However, when I was gaming on it, the panel imperfections are not distracting at all. I think it's because it's not as bright as the flagship LED TVs of today because if I had that same uniformity on a Q9FN, the TV would be returned the same day.

I'm now 100% convinced that these super bright TVs really exacerbate uniformity issues that older TVs would get away with. This kinda sucks because bright TVs are essential for impactful HDR.
When I first received my q9fn, it did have some uniformity issues that made me want to return it on day one. After two or three days of running the TV it drastically improved, with only minor DSE remaining which I almost never notice on all content that I watch. I think everyone's mileage is going to vary depending upon the panel they receive, their patience level, and their own personal tolerance levels of what is acceptable and not.
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
And yet here you are,still taking the time to respond to my post and even quoting an old post of mine. And i dont care you might watch your tv in a sun drenched porch, that doesn't mean it's the correct environment to evaluate picture quality.
I think watching TV in a bat cave is the stupidest thing ever in life. I am shocked by the amount of people here who do this regularly.
plamen80 likes this.
post #543 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
So, I have sunlight streaming in my great room with an OLED and if I need to give it a little boost, I simply close the blinds. In this subforum, it is correct that there is no "best" TV because distracted viewing is placed in the same category as directed, cinematic viewing. I've never seen it that way, and I never will. Any fanboying you perceive on my part is because emissive is barely holding on by a thread and that's only thanks to its success in the premium market.
Newbie, but what about lights in general? Do you accept the fact that some folks don't enjoy sitting in a dark room unless they're about to go to bed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy2018 View Post
From the info I got, it is hdmi 2.1 ready. It is up to Samsung hq to decide what features they want to bring...or not

I am not expecting a full hdmi 2.1 but most of the key features people need. We need to keep vigilant...promises promises

I love the Q90r and the q85r/Q80R are especially interesting (sweet spot?) despite 96 zones...
It will all come down to price and performance...

still, the bigger you go the more zone you want...I just need 55 but for the giant sizes, Q90r is the way to go probably

Yeah, there seems to be some conflicting information going around... Forbes, John Archer, stated that so far only the Samsung 8K QLED would be getting HDMI 2.1.

If the 2019 QLEDs don't have HDMI 2.1 (when we know the 2020 ones will) - it is going to be a hard sell for a lot of people - especially since LG has confirmed full HDMI 2.1 on their OLEDs for this year.

No Dolby Vision AND no HDMI 2.1 on this year's QLEDs is going to be tough to swallow.
Yes and no...
While I agree with you, I made the past mistake of wanting features for the sake of it without checking if I NEED them
DV is great but a high brightness tv with good tone mapping gives you a superb hdr10...the hdr10+ will do nicely too

Hdmi 2.0...can be more than enough is if they add most of the hdmi 2.1 features people need.

So while I am hoping Q90r or q85 will get hdmi 2.1 by upgrade in the future..I am not too fussed anymore..
post #545 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp117 View Post
I think watching TV in a bat cave is the stupidest thing ever in life. I am shocked by the amount of people here who do this regularly.
We must all try to be tolerant. You would doubtless see things quite differently if you were a vampire.
Rudy1, kp117, GunmetalR56 and 2 others like this.

Greg Lee
post #546 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6850 Post(s)
Liked: 6853
Quote:
Yeah, there seems to be some conflicting information going around... Forbes, John Archer, stated that so far only the Samsung 8K QLED would be getting HDMI 2.1.

If the 2019 QLEDs don't have HDMI 2.1 (when we know the 2020 ones will) - it is going to be a hard sell for a lot of people - especially since LG has confirmed full HDMI 2.1 on their OLEDs for this year.

No Dolby Vision AND no HDMI 2.1 on this year's QLEDs is going to be tough to swallow.
The 900RB had better for sure, those guys are shelling out some serious cash.....There are people saying that HDMI 2.1 really only makes sense for 8K.
post #547 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 View Post
Sorry, I saw this question pretty late. Pretty much every single 65-inch Q9FN set I tried had very unacceptable banding. I eventually tried two 75-inch sets. The first set was the closest thing to flawless as I have ever gotten in regards to uniformity on a Samsung TV. Unfortunately, a cluster of dead pixels on the upper right of the screen completely ruined the set for me. The 2nd set was decent but it had 4 very thin vertical streaks in different parts of the screen.

It's interesting because I checked the screen uniformity on a close friend's TV a few days ago. He has a 65-inch Samsung that is probably 7-8 years old and the uniformity was less than desirable. However, when I was gaming on it, the panel imperfections are not distracting at all. I think it's because it's not as bright as the flagship LED TVs of today because if I had that same uniformity on a Q9FN, the TV would be returned the same day.

I'm now 100% convinced that these super bright TVs really exacerbate uniformity issues that older TVs would get away with. This kinda sucks because bright TVs are essential for impactful HDR.
If my 3 year old z9d has zero noticeable dse, there is no excuse for Samsung. It's simple laziness and arrogance. We would have a much better product if they weren't the market leader i bet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #548 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
For movie watching, a light controlled room is the better environment, whether you put in a large tv or projector, such an environment brings out the best contrast punch in movies. Tons of people build dedicated theater rooms, professional calibrators recommend light controlled environments for movie watching, cinemas run movies in such environments. Perhaps they are all silly and could use some of your wisdom. No worries from my end though, you continue to watch tv in sunlit rooms and run cable tv channels to evaluate picture quality. and don't forget to get the qled with the highest advertised nits.
Gillietalls likes this.
post #549 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
Quote:
Quote:
Newbie, but what about lights in general? Do you accept the fact that some folks don't enjoy sitting in a dark room unless they're about to go to bed?
Congrats your first 2 posts and they are pointless.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #550 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Samsung has enemity with dolby and dont want to pay dolby licensing fees and instead want to proclaim their own co-developed hdr10+ format is better. However, the major dearth of hdr10+ content coupled with samsung's recent decision to quit the blu ray player market is a grim market situation . Samsung's decision to stop putting out hdr10+ blu ray players and just quitting that market altogether has dented hdr10+'s prospects further. Where i am located, i cant find a single piece of encoded hdr10+ content, neither does my sony 4k blu player support it. Panasonic has moved to dolby vision this year seeing the market trends, though they still have hdr10+ support. I don't think hdr10+ will see any real traction, it will silently fade away from the scene , kind of like hd dvd did.
sd13 likes this.
post #551 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
For movie watching, a light controlled room is the better environment, whether you put in a large tv or projector, such an environment brings out the best contrast punch in movies. Tons of people build dedicated theater rooms, professional calibrators recommend light controlled environments for movie watching, cinemas run movies in such environments. Perhaps they are all silly and could use some of your wisdom. No worries from my end though, you continue to watch tv in sunlit rooms and run cable tv channels to evaluate picture quality. and don't forget to get the qled with the highest advertised nits.
Closeting yourself away inside a room like the purge to watch TV is definitely fringe behavior.

If this is the ONLY way to judge PQ between sets then that just means the differences are trivial to begin with.
post #552 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
The people here do and that's the reason threads like this exist.

It's you who seem to have trouble accepting the fact that some folks do prefer to match their ambient lighting to the content they're watching.
Cuthalu and srkmish like this.
post #553 of 791 Old 02-26-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Closeting yourself away inside a room like the purge to watch TV is definitely fringe behavior.

If this is the ONLY way to judge PQ between sets then that just means the differences are trivial to begin with.
The differences are big with black level, because in a dark room the human eye can even discern the difference between perfect 0 nit black and 0.001 nit. And lcd's are higher than 0.001 nit. With projectors too, switch on all lights in your room and then turn the room pitch black, there will be a major difference in PQ.
Try bringing scientific arguments to the table, instead of these 'street smart' arguments picking on people's behavior.
post #554 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:
The differences are big with black level, because in a dark room the human eye can even discern the difference between perfect 0 nit black and 0.001 nit. And lcd's are higher than 0.001 nit. With projectors too, switch on all lights in your room and then turn the room pitch black, there will be a major difference in PQ.
Try bringing scientific arguments to the table, instead of these 'street smart' arguments picking on people's behavior.
Understand your point but samsung is doing a very smart move with the inky coating, they decided to make the coating extremely inky giving the appearance of 0 nit in a bright to dim lit room. This will give an excellent performance in this two environments. The whole point is to watch the tv with some ambient light and let the coating do the work.
kp117 and srkmish like this.

Last edited by losservatore; 02-27-2019 at 02:49 AM.
post #555 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Understand your point but samsung is playing smart with the inky coating, they decided to make the coating extremely inky giving the appearance of 0 nit in a bright to dim lit room. This will give an excellent performance in this two environments. The whole point is to watch the tv with some ambient light and let the coating do the work.
What is the black nit level these tv's put out, the 2018 q9fn was nothing amazing in this regard. I watch in a dedicated light controlled room, i could have and turn on an artificial light source in there and a great AR coating will help to shun reflections to make your eyes resolve deeper black, however turning on a lamp and depending on a great AR coating is not a substitute for pixel level control. Despite how good the AR filter is ,you are still stuck with an uneven backlight with a few hundred physical dimmable clusters (and the common issues that an uneven backlight creates) as well as issues that a flawed dimming algorithm creates (there were some complaints on the q9fn with the dimming algorithm). Scenes with pitch black backgrounds with a bright object floating in the foreground or white credits rolling on a black screen are the worst offenders on these lcd's, i'd like to see how these 2019 qleds fare with them in a dim lit environment.

Samsung's AR works better than sony, however the best in this regard i've seen is philips' moth eye filter on their high end lcd's.
post #556 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Should we get some reviews in next couple days? This not knowing earc or not is driving me crazy lol
post #557 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
The advent of theater rooms had to do with the amount of light thrown by projectors before larger than 65 TVs were commonplace. That inconvenience is no longer required. Some light control is always advantageous but a black room bat cave where you trip over things to get a snack that you can't see well enough to eat comfortably has become overkill.
kp117, plamen80 and VJardim like this.
post #558 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A couple of Q900 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Samsung has officially unveiled its comprehensive 2019 4K and 8K TV lineup, including the new QLED Q60, Q70, Q80 and Q90 4K models. Click this link to read more: Samsung Launches New 4K & 8K QLED TVs
I am seriously considering the 75" Q900 unit to replace an older panel. I have two practical, non-exotic questions not answered by Samsung:

1) Has Samsung abandoned the OneConnect box? I personally like the single wire solution for Home Theater hackers like myself, to avoid wires in the wall and code issues with power in the wall. It does not appear that any Q900 units have this feature.

2) Does the 75" Q900 have a zero-gap wall mount solution from Samsung? I have installed several of these and find them easy to install and very satisfactory in terms of appearance. It does not appear from stock images that this set has a removable rear panel with either standard VESA holes or a fitting for a zero-gap type mount.

Thanks, all.
post #559 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Samsung has enemity with dolby and dont want to pay dolby licensing fees and instead want to proclaim their own co-developed hdr10+ format is better.
Evidence please.
Rudy1 likes this.

Greg Lee
post #560 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
That inconvenience is no longer required. Some light control is always advantageous but a black room bat cave where you trip over things to get a snack that you can't see well enough to eat comfortably has become overkill.
True.

I usually try to set my ambient light to such a level that the wall is just below the darkest sizable area of the screen. With current OLED, that produces a comfortably-lit room in all but the darkest movies.

Quote:
It is not.
Even when I'm doing very casual viewing in a well-lit room, I notice the difference. The deep black level of OLED makes the colors in content with decent contrast stand out more.

Much less luminance is required on OLED to maintain contrast as ambient room brightness increases. The result is a more pleasant viewing experience that is achieved at lower light output.

This is something you notice and learn to appreciate as you live with a TV, as opposed to testing for what gives the most "pop". There are times and types of content I'd prefer a high-end LCD like the Z9D for. But achieving high contrast on LCD comes with increased eye strain, which is undesirable for long sessions.
post #561 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

I can see that and would be satisfied with Q series or 950G levels of brightness. A bit more than OLED is still advantageous but I suspect it's an individual thing. Seems that something a bit over 1000 nits is where it starts to have diminishing returns for me. Sort of 900f brightness and above. 900e didn't quite get there for me. I suspect that the q70 on up would be good for me.

I'll be very interested to see the black level result of the new Q80R. The 8fn had great contrast but also elevated blacks (seems counter intuitive but those are the measurements and viewing reports) that helped limit blooming. The lamps never shut all the way off. I'm sure it was great as reported for most situations but probably not optimum for a bat cave.

Last edited by js950; 02-27-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #562 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
lol probably the samsung owners, because the owners get fed up, i already told you there are tons of kuro owners to this date, you can confirm it for yourself. Wih qleds, once you get past the eye searing brightness and vibrant colors and the 'honeymoon' period is over, after some months you realize it's just a mediocre lcd underneath and you have the urge to upgrade to something better
As someone pointed out earlier: You really don’t add anything to the conversation.
Rudy1, Mikejl, Matsonia and 1 others like this.
post #563 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know all the rules here but is trolling allowed?
Mikejl, Terminader and plamen80 like this.
post #564 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
I don't know all the rules here but is trolling allowed?

At a minimum, there is the option to add someone to your "Ignore" list.
post #565 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
My point still stands. If you need to induce a full Solar Eclipse to see these so called "big" differences, then why should a normal person care in the first place?

If you can only see the superiority of a Range Rover 4-Wheel Drive System as compared to that of a Tahoe by driving through a creek out in the wilderness (where no one lives but campers and Sasquatch) , then why should the average buyer care?
post #566 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
then why should the average buyer care?
Yep. Average buyer doesn't need expensive TV with sophisticated backlight consisting from big amout of dimming zones for shure .
post #567 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Noble View Post
I am seriously considering the 75" Q900 unit to replace an older panel. I have two practical, non-exotic questions not answered by Samsung:

1) Has Samsung abandoned the OneConnect box? I personally like the single wire solution for Home Theater hackers like myself, to avoid wires in the wall and code issues with power in the wall. It does not appear that any Q900 units have this feature.

2) Does the 75" Q900 have a zero-gap wall mount solution from Samsung? I have installed several of these and find them easy to install and very satisfactory in terms of appearance. It does not appear from stock images that this set has a removable rear panel with either standard VESA holes or a fitting for a zero-gap type mount.

Thanks, all.

All Q900 models have the one connect box so no Samsung hadn't abandoned it

In the UK the 75 inch Q900 which I had does have the zero gap wall mount yes.
post #568 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'll keep an eye out for an "owners thread" and would be happy to contribute there. As a bit of news I'll report here that the Q90R/65 I pulled the trigger on from the Samsung EPP site last week has just been scheduled for earliest delivery of the afternoon of March 6, which is ahead of official shipment date of March 8 I was expecting. This replaces a Panny ST30 50 inch plasma that hasn't been doing too well since moving to a brightly lit great room in our new house.

I took a calculated risk that the no-gap mount from 2018 would be compatible with the 2019 model. If anybody comes across information that confirms compatibility I would appreciate it. Also, I've heard two different things regarding the One Connect cable . . . does it or does it not carry power to the display?

If anybody has any tips on optimal routing of the One Connect cable, in combo with the no-gap mount, so it doesn't get squashed / damaged that would be helpful. Is simply using the adjustable standoffs to create a small gap behind the display sufficient? I intend to run the cable in-wall behind the display and don't mind putting more holes in the drywall as necessary.
VJardim likes this.
post #569 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 365
You don't need to do that. There is already an indent in the back of these tv's for you to connect the one connect cable and thread it down along the TV and out of the bottom.
post #570 of 791 Old 02-27-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxs_dad View Post
I'll keep an eye out for an "owners thread" and would be happy to contribute there. As a bit of news I'll report here that the Q90R/65 I pulled the trigger on from the Samsung EPP site last week has just been scheduled for earliest delivery of the afternoon of March 6, which is ahead of official shipment date of March 8 I was expecting. This replaces a Panny ST30 50 inch plasma that hasn't been doing too well since moving to a brightly lit great room in our new house.

I took a calculated risk that the no-gap mount from 2018 would be compatible with the 2019 model. If anybody comes across information that confirms compatibility I would appreciate it. Also, I've heard two different things regarding the One Connect cable . . . does it or does it not carry power to the display?

If anybody has any tips on optimal routing of the One Connect cable, in combo with the no-gap mount, so it doesn't get squashed / damaged that would be helpful. Is simply using the adjustable standoffs to create a small gap behind the display sufficient? I intend to run the cable in-wall behind the display and don't mind putting more holes in the drywall as necessary.
You might be able to start the owners thread . Can't wait to hear your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page