Is it worth upgrading my TV to a bigger size? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 02-12-2019, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is it worth upgrading my TV to a bigger size?

I currently have a Samsung 32" 1080p TV and I've had it for over five years. A lot of people tell me that a bigger size TV is much nicer and worth the upgrade. So, I've been debating for a while on whether to upgrade to something bigger. I only have a studio apartment, so I have no space to keep my current TV if I were to upgrade. I would have to discard it since none of my friends want a TV that small and my parents are too old school and are perfectly happy with their tube TV.

Given my current living room layout, I would have to make some modifications if I were to upgrade to a bigger TV, such as a 42". First, I would have to move furniture around to allow for the extra space since I laid out my furniture in my living room without allowing space for a big TV. Second, I would have to buy a new TV furniture because my current TV furniture looks like THIS. Since new TVs today don't come with centered stands anymore and only have stands on the ends of the TV, I would have to buy a new TV furniture that would match the same width as a 42" TV.

So having said all of this, is it worth upgrading to a 42" TV? Since TVs are so cheap today, cost is not a problem for me. It's the items that I mentioned above that are hesitating me. Not to mention that I hate getting rid of a perfectly working 32" TV since no one wants it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 02-12-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I currently have a Samsung 32" 1080p TV and I've had it for over five years. A lot of people tell me that a bigger size TV is much nicer and worth the upgrade. So, I've been debating for a while on whether to upgrade to something bigger. I only have a studio apartment, so I have no space to keep my current TV if I were to upgrade. I would have to discard it since none of my friends want a TV that small and my parents are too old school and are perfectly happy with their tube TV.

Given my current living room layout, I would have to make some modifications if I were to upgrade to a bigger TV, such as a 42". First, I would have to move furniture around to allow for the extra space since I laid out my furniture in my living room without allowing space for a big TV. Second, I would have to buy a new TV furniture because my current TV furniture looks like THIS. Since new TVs today don't come with centered stands anymore and only have stands on the ends of the TV, I would have to buy a new TV furniture that would match the same width as a 42" TV.

So having said all of this, is it worth upgrading to a 42" TV? Since TVs are so cheap today, cost is not a problem for me. It's the items that I mentioned above that are hesitating me. Not to mention that I hate getting rid of a perfectly working 32" TV since no one wants it.

Don't give up on your parents. Maybe part of their resistance is getting rid of the old one and setting up a new one with different wires and mindset. Offer to do everything for them. Cater or cook dinner for them. Make it an event.

If they continue to resist, there are charitable organizations that would love to have it.

As for you, 49". Cheers!
pjp likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

Last edited by Panson; 02-12-2019 at 04:30 PM.
post #3 of 44 Old 02-12-2019, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I say upgrade. At minimum you want a 55” and there are TV’s that still have the center pedestal that would fit the stand in the photo you posted. As for how appealing it may look only you can decide.
frank xbe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 02-12-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Get a 55. Tremendous impact!
post #5 of 44 Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Way too much info missing to determine what is logical for you. How much do you watch, what source(s), content (sports, movies), do you want to stream or off air quality 4K HDR one day? Basically, for any quality these days, 55" is the minimum. If you are mostly solo viewing, any quality reviewed TV here can be perfect but off angle viewing needs could also limit you. In many cases, when just viewing standard cable, a pull down screen and a projector works good in a studio. For anyone who can stream quality 4K sources already it is also worth moving around furniture for a quality 65" which are getting pretty inexpensive as well and are generally where the best quality for the cost lies. The break in period is like two weeks where you transition from this is way too big, I can't focus on a whole scene to I can't watch a movie on a small screen again!
post #6 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Don't give up on your parents. Maybe part of their resistance is getting rid of the old one and setting up a new one with different wires and mindset. Offer to do everything for them. Cater or cook dinner for them. Make it an event.

There are a couple reasons why they are so stubborn. Ironically, they are retired and home all the time, but barely watch any TV, if any. The thing is, since they are retired, they are living on a tight budget, so they took out their cable tv several years ago since it was becoming way too expensive. Also, they seems to like to brag to people that they live a minimalist lifestyle. So they brag to people that they live simple and don't watch tv. Yeah, I know. My parents have become stranger as they get older.

This is really the least of my worries as I can just store the old TV under my bed for now until I figure out what to do with it. I just hate replacing something that is still working fine. Feels like I wasted my money on it....

Last edited by MrHT; 02-13-2019 at 07:03 AM.
post #7 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbor View Post
Way too much info missing to determine what is logical for you. How much do you watch, what source(s), content (sports, movies), do you want to stream or off air quality 4K HDR one day? Basically, for any quality these days, 55" is the minimum. If you are mostly solo viewing, any quality reviewed TV here can be perfect but off angle viewing needs could also limit you. In many cases, when just viewing standard cable, a pull down screen and a projector works good in a studio. For anyone who can stream quality 4K sources already it is also worth moving around furniture for a quality 65" which are getting pretty inexpensive as well and are generally where the best quality for the cost lies. The break in period is like two weeks where you transition from this is way too big, I can't focus on a whole scene to I can't watch a movie on a small screen again!

I live alone so I watch by myself. I watch maybe a couple of hours per day. The thing is, I work a lot of hours so I don't get to watch as much TV as I would like. I'm on the 1080p plan on Netflix so that's pretty much all I watch.
post #8 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Only you can decide.Kind of sounds like you're happy with what you have.

My opinion is.....Get the biggest screen you can make fit!It will probably make a huge difference in your viewing habits.
inspector likes this.
post #9 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
I live alone so I watch by myself. I watch maybe a couple of hours per day. The thing is, I work a lot of hours so I don't get to watch as much TV as I would like. I'm on the 1080p plan on Netflix so that's pretty much all I watch.
Honestly if your happy with what you got keep it. No point in spending money if you don't need to. however, going to a larger screen can make a HUGE impact. You have to realize a couple of things though, first finding anything but a 4k set is difficult, none of your major stores are going to have one on the shelf, although you may be able to order one online. You could get this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-43...?skuId=5748210 it is still center pedestal, I also HATE its hard to find center pedestal tv's.
beerhunt likes this.
post #10 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 382
In a word, yes, it's absolutely worth it to upgrade to a bigger TV if you are watching a few hours a day. I would recommend having someone wall-mount the TV for you. The mounts typically cost anywhere from 25-75, plus another 50-100 in installation costs, rather than buying new furniture just for the sake of replacing your TV.
GregLee likes this.
post #11 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
In a word, yes, it's absolutely worth it to upgrade to a bigger TV if you are watching a few hours a day. I would recommend having someone wall-mount the TV for you. The mounts typically cost anywhere from 25-75, plus another 50-100 in installation costs, rather than buying new furniture just for the sake of replacing your TV.

I think this TV solves my problem in terms of furniture since the stand on this one is centered:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-43...?skuId=5748210

This is definitely pricier than the Samsung 43" TVs, which are also very good. But there's no doubt about it, that Sony TV is a great TV so it's probably worth the extra money. I would still need to reconfigure my living room since 43" is quite large for my current layout, but I probably can make room for it with a little moving around of furniture.

Update- I just realized after I posted this that liffie420's post above also suggested this same exact TV.

Last edited by MrHT; 02-13-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #12 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
Only you can decide.Kind of sounds like you're happy with what you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Honestly if your happy with what you got keep it. No point in spending money if you don't need to. however, going to a larger screen can make a HUGE impact.

Well, I WAS happy. That's why I bought a 32" TV. I used to be very happy with that size, especially since I spend my whole childhood watching TV on a 12" tube TV. But my friend just bought a big 4K TV and my uncle recently bought one a couple of months ago. They both told me they love it and can't get enough of it. So, it got me tempted into buying one myself, especially since they are so cheap now.
post #13 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I WAS happy. That's why I bought a 32" TV. I used to be very happy with that size, especially since I spend my whole childhood watching TV on a 12" tube TV. But my friend just bought a big 4K TV and my uncle recently bought one a couple of months ago. They both told me they love it and can't get enough of it. So, it got me tempted into buying one myself, especially since they are so cheap now.
They certainly are cheap, frankly tvs are STUPID cheap right now. That one I linked I believe is Sony's top tier line and a really good deal at the price. Im at the other end I have big tv's already, but I also live in a house, so I have a 60" in my room and a 70" in the living room. And I litteraly can't fit anything bigger in the living room without totally redoing all my wiring which I have ZERO desire to do. so the next step might be a projector, or a better 70" since I have a cheap low end LG set. But at this size there are a pretty big jump in price from 70" to anything bigger. And I want to hold to my never spent more than $1,000 on a tv trend LOL
post #14 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:

Go as big as you can possibly afford if you have the space for it. Years ago I went from a 40" to a 55" and that was a huge upgrade. More immersive. Its great if you are a movie fan. Tomorrow my new TV is scheduled to be delivered and I will be going from 55" up to 65". I would recommend a minimum of 55"

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #15 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 1230
You can only fit a 32" TV in your home?

I would move to a bigger apartment, solely to fit a bigger TV in it. Or I would do without a refrigerator or stove to fit a 55" or larger TV. Where are your priorities?

I get the issue with your parents. I bought my mom a cell phone and added her to my cell plan, in case of emergency. I don't think she's even turned her phone on. She thinks cordless phones are new fangled tech. She uses a 40 year old corded phone.
post #16 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They certainly are cheap, frankly tvs are STUPID cheap right now. That one I linked I believe is Sony's top tier line and a really good deal at the price. Im at the other end I have big tv's already, but I also live in a house, so I have a 60" in my room and a 70" in the living room. And I litteraly can't fit anything bigger in the living room without totally redoing all my wiring which I have ZERO desire to do. so the next step might be a projector, or a better 70" since I have a cheap low end LG set. But at this size there are a pretty big jump in price from 70" to anything bigger. And I want to hold to my never spent more than $1,000 on a tv trend LOL

I was talking to my co-worker just now and she me that Samsung TVs have better picture quality than the Sony's. Is that true? In the store, the Sony's look pretty good, but it's not always easy to judge at the store since they never have the proper content playing.
post #17 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Tell your parents they will save money by changing out their electricity guzzling CRT. LEDs are so light and thin there are 100 ways to set one up. I'd go for 55 minimum and find a wall mount or piece of furniture off craigslist that would make it work in the room with your other stuff.
lucacow and beerhunt like this.
post #18 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
I was talking to my co-worker just now and she me that Samsung TVs have better picture quality than the Sony's. Is that true? In the store, the Sony's look pretty good, but it's not always easy to judge at the store since they never have the proper content playing.
The Sony you linked earlier is the top rated in the 43" class. Samsung might have a better picture in other size and price ranges but you will like the one linked.
post #19 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
The Sony you linked earlier is the top rated in the 43" class. Samsung might have a better picture in other size and price ranges but you will like the one linked.

Thanks. I read the reviews and while blacks may not be as good as the Samsung, the Sony has much better HDR.
post #20 of 44 Old 02-14-2019, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Since all you watch is Netflix 1080P, you have no need for HDR.

If bigger can be smaller investigate the Oculus Go 32GB.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...=960&keys=keys

Samsung 75Q7F, ATV4K, Tivo Roamio OTA, RF-20
post #21 of 44 Old 02-14-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I upgraded my parents from No TV to a TCL 55” 4 Series, after hanging it up on the wall, I decided it was too small. Got them a 65” TCL R615, and now they are hooked. They quickly got accustomed to having “The movie theater” go to them. Got them an OTA antenna too since they don’t have cable.

You can get a budget 55” that will work great for them. TCL’s Roku interface is the easiest to navigate imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22 of 44 Old 02-15-2019, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucacow View Post
I upgraded my parents from No TV to a TCL 55” 4 Series, after hanging it up on the wall, I decided it was too small. Got them a 65” TCL R615, and now they are hooked. They quickly got accustomed to having “The movie theater” go to them. Got them an OTA antenna too since they don’t have cable.

You can get a budget 55” that will work great for them. TCL’s Roku interface is the easiest to navigate imo.

It's interesting. You really don't need a new television, unless there are a lot of advantages to getting it. I have only bought like 2 televisions in 20 years. The first one I bought was to go from a CRT to mounting an LCD above my fireplace. While this the perfect videophile place to put a television, it was a great advantage because I actually gained a lot of floor space by removing a large entertainment center where the old 26 inch television was housed. It was pretty much a win/win. I think if you can wall mount your television, you can get whatever you want for your needs. I finally replaced that 55 inch above the mantel for a 65 inch last month, and while oohing and aahing it for awhile, I realize that after awhile I'll go back to watching it whenever, instead of turning it on just to watch 4k content that looks good but wouldn't watch anyway. I think now the only way I'd replace this new television would be if OTA broadcasts used some sort of new tech that needed an upgrade.
post #23 of 44 Old 02-15-2019, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That one I linked I believe is Sony's top tier line and a really good deal at the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post

Would you say the Sony is better that THIS Samsung TV? I read reviews on both and each have their pros and cons so it's such a tough decision, especially since the Samsung is much cheaper and the reviews gave it a similar rating.

Yes, the Sony does solve my issue with my TV furniture since the stand is centered, but it almost seems like I'm paying A LOT more just for that alone. I'm sure the Sony TV is great TV; no question about it. But is it $270 better than that Samsung I linked?
post #24 of 44 Old 02-15-2019, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Would you say the Sony is better that THIS Samsung TV? I read reviews on both and each have their pros and cons so it's such a tough decision, especially since the Samsung is much cheaper and the reviews gave it a similar rating.

Yes, the Sony does solve my issue with my TV furniture since the stand is centered, but it almost seems like I'm paying A LOT more just for that alone. I'm sure the Sony TV is great TV; no question about it. But is it $270 better than that Samsung I linked?

They’ll say the motion on the Sony is better. Having owned both Samsung and Sony, l’d tend to agree. Add to that more natural looking color and there you have it.

Having said all that, l’d personally go with the cheaper Samsung. At this level and price point, l’d say they are evenly matched and therefore go for the cheaper one.

post #25 of 44 Old 02-15-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:

Its somewhat true, though not so black and white as that.

Sony's OLED will be of better PQ than any of Samsung's QLED sets. However, Samsungs QLED sets should have better color than Sony's FALD LED sets. Though really, they all look ridiculously fantastic no matter which one you get, you are likely to be happy with them.

Heck, I bought a $1000 TCL tv that looks far, far better than any set I have ever owned. The tech in these TVs these days is just crazy. You don't have to spend a lot to get a fantastic looking set.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #26 of 44 Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
32 inch is puny, so yes, always yes for a bigger size.
post #27 of 44 Old 02-15-2019, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

Just pull the trigger and go for it. You wont be sorry. My two year old Samsung 65" came with the god awful chrome feet on the ends. 4k, HDR, excellent picture. Took off the chrome feet, they just snapped on/off , and replaced them with this. You can move up/down and it swivels. Made a great tv even better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #28 of 44 Old 02-18-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

They would be comparable, but considering the price difference I would go with the cheaper Samsung.
lucacow likes this.
post #29 of 44 Old 02-18-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 646
You can get this 49" Samsung NU8000 with a center stand for $700.
post #30 of 44 Old 02-21-2019, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Just pull the trigger and go for it. You wont be sorry. My two year old Samsung 65" came with the god awful chrome feet on the ends. 4k, HDR, excellent picture. Took off the chrome feet, they just snapped on/off , and replaced them with this. You can move up/down and it swivels. Made a great tv even better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Getting a universal stand might be my only option. However, do these stands (especially the only you link) really work on all TVs of that size range? I'd hate to buy it and then discover afterwards that it doesn't fit the TV I just bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page