2019 TCL 75R615 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 228Likes

Old 04-22-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Maxlow View Post
I have the Best-Buy version of this TV for about seven weeks now. It has terrific picture quality in my opinion. However, I am now seeing worrisome issues now that I am out of my direct return period.

Seemingly randomly, horizontal strips of the screen about 5-8 inches tall will start to flash more and less bright, will show thin horizontal lines, and will cause the video in those strips to become out of sync with the unaffected areas of the screen. It will start with just the thin lines, then will quickly progress to multiple rows showing all of the above issues in less than a minute. This happens regardless of input source or signal, and in fact will happen even when browsing the TV menus.

I'm running Roku OS 9.0.0, but I think I recall seeing the issue start prior to that update. Only a hard system restart using the menu will make it go away... but it always comes back eventually, sometimes days later, unpredictably. I can't say any one thing triggers it.

So, do I have a bad panel? Has anyone seen this on this model or other TCL models? If it's a bad panel and covered under warranty, how does TCL generally handle it?
Standard warranty is 1 year. They should cover you. They will send a tech out to analyze it. He will likely order a new screen and break the first two they ship to him. (I read some other poor souls had this issue)

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post
You can't get the wifi remote to work with the 615. IT's based on bluetooth wireless. And the 615 series does not have a blue tooth module to work with the remote.

That said you can use the phone app just fine if you want wireless. And the phone app offers audio over the wireless network now. Something the remote doesn't.

I don't think that's accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt2026 likes this.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Old 04-23-2019, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
You can't get the wifi remote to work with the 615. IT's based on bluetooth wireless. And the 615 series does not have a blue tooth module to work with the remote.

That said you can use the phone app just fine if you want wireless. And the phone app offers audio over the wireless network now. Something the remote doesn't.
I did not know that, I could have sworn that I saw people posting that the 617 remote works with the 615.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro

Last edited by Smigro; 04-23-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
I did not know that, I could have sworn that I saw people posting that the 617 remote works with the 615 so I stand corrected.
The enhanced remote that you can get from Roku directly works. I use it on both my 55 and 75 inch 6 series from BB. It also works with the previous years P series, and S series.
mlgreen and Smigro like this.

Last edited by rockaway1836; 04-23-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:07 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Quote:

The wifi remote works just fine on the 615. The 615 and the 617 are identical except for the remotes that come with it. Unless the 75" is different from the 65" and 55"' models. I have a roku wifi remote working with my Best buy 65" 615 model. It has no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)
Smigro likes this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 04-26-2019, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Price talk posts removed

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
What is the best wall mount for this exact TV?
Old 04-26-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 859
I have a Sony 1080p KDL-65W850A tv, which says its 120Hz. I'm a bit new to all this but is the 60Hz in TCL (with 120Hz CMI) going to be worse? The discussion says some people notice it and other don't, some people say 60 vs 120 is clear difference, so I'm confused.

Will this be a upgrade in PQ, due to HDR etc? The Sony is known for having great PQ and colors, I've been very happy with it, but want 4K.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I have a Sony 1080p KDL-65W850A tv, which says its 120Hz. I'm a bit new to all this but is the 60Hz in TCL (with 120Hz CMI) going to be worse? The discussion says some people notice it and other don't, some people say 60 vs 120 is clear difference, so I'm confused.

Will this be a upgrade in PQ, due to HDR etc? The Sony is known for having great PQ and colors, I've been very happy with it, but want 4K.
I posted this link earlier in the thread. Every expert that has written on the subject that I have read seems to agree. In the end the choice is yours to make. https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what...-60hz-vs-120hz.

I owned the 65XBR900A and 55XBR850A. I have zero regrets going with the 6 series.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post
I posted this link earlier in the thread. Every expert that has written on the subject that I have read seems to agree. In the end the choice is yours to make. https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what...-60hz-vs-120hz.

I owned the 65XBR900A and 55XBR850A. I have zero regrets going with the 6 series.
Thanks, that is one less thing to worry about then.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was wondering if anyone watched Game of Thrones on their 6 series last night? The dark scenes were really hard to see for everyone and I wanted to see how the 6 series handled it.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymac8888 View Post
I was wondering if anyone watched Game of Thrones on their 6 series last night? The dark scenes were really hard to see for everyone and I wanted to see how the 6 series handled it.
I picked up this TV yesterday morning and had it on the wall in time for GoT. Coming from a 6 year old Vizio P Series, the dark scenes were incredibly clear for me considering what I had. I debated on a several other TV's, but the deal of the day on Friday at BB convinced me to give this one a shot.
aaronwt and mlgreen like this.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well despite the great deal, this TV went back yesterday. DSE wasn't too bad (especially compared to the Vizio P75 I returned) but the blooming was very noticeable and distracting, worse than the 65" Vizio M I was returning. I'm sure I could have played the panel lottery a few more times, but I won a better lottery at the store - they had a open box 75" Q8FN on clearance for less than what the TCL cost.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 PM

Will someone please post their calibrations numbers for the 75R615? Mine arrives on Friday!
sightsandsounds likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymac8888 View Post
jaymac, we watched G.O.T. on the 55' 6 Series purchased last Fall, mounted above a fireplace, seating nmt 6+' away. Very pleased with the picture quality for practically everything. Unfortunately, the way the episode was filmed (if 'film' is the right term these days) means it was dark and many scenes practically impossible to understand (which character getting zombiefied, etc.), even with the excellent TCL Series 6 quality. I get the whole 'fog of war' thing, and that the pimp-strutting King of zombies is one bad MF, able to generate weather to hide his hordes, zombie-fied dragon, etc., but it really detracted from the episode.

Enough 'movie review' in a display device blog ...
Old 05-01-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Rican View Post
Will someone please post their calibrations numbers for the 75R615? Mine arrives on Friday!
Make sure to DL the Roku app so you can do the 11 point White balance calibration and the Color Space calibration

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...-2018/settings

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Old 05-01-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So my 30 days is coming to end (unless when you do an exchange at BB you get 30 more days from the date that you did the exchange) and I have to decide to keep or not. Now since I got a price adjustment on Friday to lower price it is a really good deal for a 75" 4K TV but I just wonder if I should stick with my plasma until this fall and then revisit just to see what the 2019 TV's have to offer. The upcoming TCL 8 series has me interested and OLED's always catch my eye but just waiting for them to be a bit more affordable.

Now the TV itself really does impress me in most aspects, but coming from an emissive panel the blooming (while not overly bad and to my eye better than my buddies Sony X950G) does bother me a bit. I also noticed this past week a little vertical banding in the screen which I am guessing is from the FALD zones. During most viewing it is not a problem but certain shots (particularly a pan with the sky as a backdrop) do make it jump out and as much as I try not to notice it it gets the attention of my eye.

Not sure if I should try one more exchange to see if I can get a TV without any vertical banding, live with it, or just realize that OLED is my only upgrade path and return it and wait some more. I really do like the 4K content along with HDR though which is why I may just say F it and keep it.

Ed

Old 05-01-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
So my 30 days is coming to end (unless when you do an exchange at BB you get 30 more days from the date that you did the exchange) and I have to decide to keep or not. Now since I got a price adjustment on Friday to lower price it is a really good deal for a 75" 4K TV but I just wonder if I should stick with my plasma until this fall and then revisit just to see what the 2019 TV's have to offer. The upcoming TCL 8 series has me interested and OLED's always catch my eye but just waiting for them to be a bit more affordable.

Now the TV itself really does impress me in most aspects, but coming from an emissive panel the blooming (while not overly bad and to my eye better than my buddies Sony X950G) does bother me a bit. I also noticed this past week a little vertical banding in the screen which I am guessing is from the FALD zones. During most viewing it is not a problem but certain shots (particularly a pan with the sky as a backdrop) do make it jump out and as much as I try not to notice it it gets the attention of my eye.

Not sure if I should try one more exchange to see if I can get a TV without any vertical banding, live with it, or just realize that OLED is my only upgrade path and return it and wait some more. I really do like the 4K content along with HDR though which is why I may just say F it and keep it.
I've decided against running any tests to see if my panel had any DSE or banding and just visually watch my usual programming for two weeks and see if I like it. I haven't noticed a single issue yet (4 days in), so either I got a good panel, or my eyes just aren't as sensitive to the issues that plague some of these panels. My suggestion would be, if you think it's going to bother you in the future, replace it now, or you'll see it and worry about it until you get a new one. I'm coming from one of the very first TV's to do 4k and NO HDR, so just having this has been a huge upgrade for me. Not to mention the price point on this TV for the deal of the day with BB.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
What is the best wall mount for this exact TV?
Just hung mine last night on a Monoprice beast of a mount here. Took a decent amount of effort drilling big holes into the studs, etc, and about 3 hours altogether, but that's going to be the case for any 75" wall mount, especially with a FALD panel. I'm super happy with it and still can't believe they sell such an awesome mount for like $75. I'm sure you can maybe get a better one, but not without spending probably 3X as much.

Quote:
Now since I got a price adjustment on Friday to lower price it is a really good deal for a 75" 4K TV but I just wonder if I should stick with my plasma until this fall and then revisit just to see what the 2019 TV's have to offer. The upcoming TCL 8 series has me interested and OLED's always catch my eye but just waiting for them to be a bit more affordable.
I was in sort of the same boat, ultimately wanting a better TV but not being able to pass this one up for the daily price last Friday. My feeling is that it's pretty damn awesome, and crazy cheap for a 75" FALD LCD. Ultimately the only technology that will beat this for me is micro-LED (as my room is too bright for OLED, 77" OLED is out of my price range, and I'm not crazy about the long-term burn-in potential if I'm paying that much). So that's gonna be a minimum of I don't know... 2 years away? At least before they make it affordable at this size. So even if this 6-series is a 2-year stopgap I'd say it's well justified at this crazy low price. At the end of the day FALD is a fairly flawed technology for the reasons you mention, so I'm approaching it as a cheap (but really awesome for all but the snootiest videophiles) stopgap on the way to a real game-changer tech in maybe 2-3 years.
mlgreen and Smigro like this.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know the power consumption on this TV? Additionally, does the 'power save' display mode hurt any of the performance or just affects the screen brightness?

Love the TV. Mostly watch cable and am still trying to figure out the smoothing/clarity options. Haven't done the calibration settings due to watching mostly cable.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just got my 75R615 last night, bought it Friday off the BB daily deal. Thought I'd post my impressions here ASAP since I was relying on this thread and BB reviews to decide, as I feel like this is somewhat different in terms of quality control than the 55/65 versions that came out much earlier.

Haven't watched a ton yet, mostly just extended clips of different sources, but I'll try to update this later after watching full movies, hockey games, etc. For now here's a quick pros and cons list. For reference, I would consider myself a pretty bad videophile despite owning the same LCD projector for the last 10 years before this. I can usually notice any/all imperfections in both screens and video sources. I also have a TCL 5-series that I consider an insane value, but not really suited for HDR type stuff obviously.

Pros:
  • Uniformity. Very very impressively uniform panel for a FALD screen. There are variances noticeable on a full-white screen at high brightness, as even an S-brand FALD panel would have, but I watched multiple different hockey clips panning at high speed and struggled to notice them there. I would consider hockey to be the ultimate torture test for this, and it passed as well as I could expect any FALD to. From everything I've read/seen this appears to be the DSE level you'd expect from a significant step up, like a Sony 900F. Judging by all the reviews and how uniform mine is, it really seems TCL stepped up their panel uniformity from the 55/65 last summer to the 75 in January.
  • HDR performance. This is what I was really buying the TV for, and I haven't seen anything outside OLED look this good (I explained a couple posts back why OLED ultimately wasn't for me). Watching a 4K HDR blu-ray of Avengers: Infinity War looked amazing (once I turned motion smoothing off of course, lol).

Cons:
  • Cable upscaling. This is the biggest downside for me, but I knew it going in. It just doesn't upscale that well... but then again I've never watched 720p content on any other modern 75" 4K screen so it's hard to know what I'm missing out on here... I assume even the best don't look great given how big it is and how much resolution you're missing out on with stupid, outdated American cable service.
  • Blooming. I can notice this when there's a small, very bright spot on a dark area in HDR content. It really doesn't bother me though, and is inherent to any FALD setup (the degree is impacted by number of backlight zones, of course). The only real way to improve this in lower price ranges is to wait and see on the TCL 8-series with its "mini-LED" likely meaning an increase in zones and decrease in blooming. But for me it's not nearly worth the extra wait and extra money.
aaronwt, mlgreen, Smigro and 1 others like this.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:

I was under the impression that BB return/exchange window was 15 days - not 30.

Please tell me I'm wrong! My 75R615 arrives tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I am elite so as far as I know I get an extended window of 30 days.

Ed

Old 05-02-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:

It's 15 days from delivery unless you're Elite status ($1500 or more in a year at BB IIRC).
Old 05-02-2019, 10:59 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Quote:

Depends on what level you are with your Best Buy rewards. They have 45, 30, and 15 day return periods depending on your level. I currently have 45 day return periods with Best Buy since I am currently an Elite Plus member..

Although next year I'll be pushed down to the Elite level. Since you need to spend $3500 a year for Elite Plus. And the last few years I've purchased appliances, TVs, etc. that pushed me over $3500. While the Elite level is $1500 a year. Although I'm not sure if I will even be at that level this year..

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 05-02-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Buying this new tv makes my total spend >1500. Does this mean I will get Elite status and a 30 day window?

btw I ordered the tv with the deal last Sat and it hasn't been delivered yet. So even though I've paid already the total spend doesn't show up in my BB Rewards account, is that normal?
Old 05-02-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it recommended to buy the GeekSquad protection plan? Or SquareTrade from Costco? Or none?

FWIW I've never bought extended warranty for most of my eletronics but this is a much bigger item.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 991
Quote:
Is it recommended to buy the GeekSquad protection plan? Or SquareTrade from Costco? Or none?

FWIW I've never bought extended warranty for most of my eletronics but this is a much bigger item.
The Costco square trade is a great deal in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2019, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Buying this new tv makes my total spend >1500. Does this mean I will get Elite status and a 30 day window?

btw I ordered the tv with the deal last Sat and it hasn't been delivered yet. So even though I've paid already the total spend doesn't show up in my BB Rewards account, is that normal?
The reward points take a while to show up. They'll show up below your current points but be listed as pending. I guess they do it so you don't return the product after you've received your points.

It should however already show up on your account as a purchase. I remember mine was listed right away; before it was delivered to me.

TV: TCL 75R615
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR787 running in a 5.4.4 configuration
Speakers: Polk T Series
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB12-NSD and dual SVS PB-1000.
Gaming Systems: PlayStation 4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
The Costco square trade is a great deal in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Do you know how long you have from the date of purchase to get the ext. warranty from Costco? My dad has a Costco account so I have been thinking of having him buy me an extended warranty for my TV.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement