2019 TCL 75R615 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 322Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #331 of 699 Old 05-03-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,340
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked: 2996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Is it recommended to buy the GeekSquad protection plan? Or SquareTrade from Costco? Or none?

FWIW I've never bought extended warranty for most of my eletronics but this is a much bigger item.
One way to think about extended warranties on electronics is that they're similar to lotto where a few people win and a lot of people lose. So far you've already saved a fair amount of money by not paying for extended warranties on all of the previous electronics products you own that haven't failed. If you never pay extra for insurance on any of your electronics for the rest of your life you will most likely come out ahead because you will be cutting out the profit margin the electronics insurance companies make off of the difference between the premiums they charge for extended warranties and the amount of money they pay out on claims. That's what I've been doing for about 50 years now and I'm way ahead of the game.
pandaconda likes this.
Dave in Green is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #332 of 699 Old 05-03-2019, 09:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Received tv this morning. Also curious if now I can get BB 30-day return window instead of 15-day. Played with it for about 20 min - it looked good. Coming from a Panasonic ST-50 55" plasma, I was impressed by the few blacks I saw. Will dial it in a bit over the weekend and report any findings. I went with Sanus Advance Tilt Premium Wall Mount. I am not planning to do extensive DSE, etc testing. I rather not know
aaronwt likes this.
Gator Rican is offline  
post #333 of 699 Old 05-03-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,031
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameIsSam View Post
The reward points take a while to show up. They'll show up below your current points but be listed as pending. I guess they do it so you don't return the product after you've received your points.

It should however already show up on your account as a purchase. I remember mine was listed right away; before it was delivered to me.
I do see it as a purchase but my total spend doesnt include it, hence I don't have Elite status as well.
Defcon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #334 of 699 Old 05-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Member
 
smith10210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Rican View Post
Received tv this morning. Also curious if now I can get BB 30-day return window instead of 15-day. Played with it for about 20 min - it looked good. Coming from a Panasonic ST-50 55" plasma, I was impressed by the few blacks I saw. Will dial it in a bit over the weekend and report any findings. I went with Sanus Advance Tilt Premium Wall Mount. I am not planning to do extensive DSE, etc testing. I rather not know
Have to be an elite member prior to purchase
smith10210 is offline  
post #335 of 699 Old 05-03-2019, 10:06 AM
Member
 
smith10210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Rican View Post
What is the best wall mount for this exact TV?
I use this and love the fact i can pull the tv forward if i need to get to the back of the tv . Makes switching hdmi and in my case running led lighting on the back of the tv very easy.
Gator Rican likes this.
smith10210 is offline  
post #336 of 699 Old 05-03-2019, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith10210 View Post
I use this and love the fact i can pull the tv forward if i need to get to the back of the tv . Makes switching hdmi and in my case running led lighting on the back of the tv very easy.
Speaking of LEDs...Planning to run some light behind the tv as well. Which ones are you using? I noticed the bottom back of the tv is not smooth so not sure how a row of sticky thin LEDs will stick. I was thinking of getting MediaLight Quad Bias Lighting.
Gator Rican is offline  
post #337 of 699 Old 05-03-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,031
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
One way to think about extended warranties on electronics is that they're similar to lotto where a few people win and a lot of people lose. So far you've already saved a fair amount of money by not paying for extended warranties on all of the previous electronics products you own that haven't failed. If you never pay extra for insurance on any of your electronics for the rest of your life you will most likely come out ahead because you will be cutting out the profit margin the electronics insurance companies make off of the difference between the premiums they charge for extended warranties and the amount of money they pay out on claims. That's what I've been doing for about 50 years now and I'm way ahead of the game.
Just checked my CC, and it does have 1y added warranty, plus the 1yr from TCL. So I guess I don't need any other plans. Still a bit consufed - if I get SquareTrade/GeekSquad etc, do their 2yrs start *after* the regular manufacturer warranty?
Defcon is offline  
post #338 of 699 Old 05-04-2019, 07:25 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,937
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9299 Post(s)
Liked: 5984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Just checked my CC, and it does have 1y added warranty, plus the 1yr from TCL. So I guess I don't need any other plans. Still a bit consufed - if I get SquareTrade/GeekSquad etc, do their 2yrs start *after* the regular manufacturer warranty?
I always get the Best buy warranty on my TVs from there. Their warranty overlaps the manufacturer. So the five year extended warranty on my TCL started on the day I purchased it. It's covered until September 2023.

Edit: I just checked my BB warranties. The TCL extended warranty actually started on the day the TV was delivered. Not the day I purchased it. I had it delivered a few weeks after I purchased it.
Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 05-04-2019 at 07:30 AM.
aaronwt is offline  
post #339 of 699 Old 05-04-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Just checked my CC, and it does have 1y added warranty, plus the 1yr from TCL. So I guess I don't need any other plans. Still a bit consufed - if I get SquareTrade/GeekSquad etc, do their 2yrs start *after* the regular manufacturer warranty?
Not sure about Geek Squad but Square Trade is an extended warranty that starts after the mfg warranty. And depending on your credit card (for example Citi Visa), the credit card extension starts after any extended warranty runs out.

If purchasing from Costco, one can stack the warranties and get as much as 7 years coverage (1 year mfg + 1 year Costco + 3 years Square Trade + 2 years Citi Visa = 7 years)
kateyes likes this.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #340 of 699 Old 05-06-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,031
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 919
I found the original voice remote for Roku tv on ebay for cheap - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-TV...D/173871823438

This can be paired with this tv and everything will work as usual right?
Defcon is offline  
post #341 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 07:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I found the original voice remote for Roku tv on ebay for cheap - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-TV...D/173871823438

This can be paired with this tv and everything will work as usual right?
Would like to know this as well. After getting used to a Fire TV 4k Stick wifi remote, pointing at the tv to do things seems a hassle because you need line-of-sight. Also the voice functionality, at least on the stick, was very useful.
Gator Rican is offline  
post #342 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 08:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I received my TV Friday morning. I've spent a weekend tweaking and enjoying what I can only describe as "better than I expected" picture quality viewing experience. I never knew or cared about picture quality (PQ) until I found this site about 10 years ago. In 2012 I bought what I considered to be the best picture quality for the buck at the time - a Panasonic 55" ST-50 plasma. Ever since I've compared all others to that one, but truthfully I haven't bought a TV since then, so all others would be in review sites and in-store experiences. I spent weeks and weeks (months -- shh don't tell my wife) on this forum prior to that purchase in 2012, and I told myself I would never do that again.

Now here we are in 2019. I finally own my house and the big living room was in need of a big screen. I only spent about a week researching TVs and found this 75R615 to be the 2019s version of best PQ for the buck/size based on reviews and articles. I am here to report, after a weekend with this TV, I am impressed by how far the technology has come in the last 7 years. I really like the PQ on this TV. I am a cable cutter and that played a big factor in selecting a Roku set with a tuner for over-the-air channels. Keep in mind I dont even own a 4K player and may not even get one. Below are my findings based on content/source.

Over-the-air : I watched NBA playoffs and golf. Motion was not as good as my ST-50, but I knew this going in. The 'upconversion' or whatever happens to an over-the-air source on the TV, leaves a lot to be desired. I would never show off this set with over-the-air content. I thought this type of source would look better, but I guess 1080i and 720p on a 4K tv has its limits. I played with motion settings and picture settings - it helped a bit, but was still behind the plasma in the motion department. However, in color and brightness, this set does fairly well. In a couple of camera panning shots during golf, i did noticed a couple (maybe 3) darker areas running vertically on the screen - maybe that is what's called DSE? (not sure) -- but like I mentioned before, not going to test for this UNLESS it becomes an issue during regular viewing. So far, I can barely see it, but it's not football season yet.

Streaming Game of Thrones (HBOGo) : This app is notoriously known for bad PQ, however after watching S8E4 (NOT the Long Night super dark one, I didn't own the TV yet) I was impressed at how well the TV handled the blacks, the colors, the brightness and the resolution. Even my wife commented how good it looked. So good, in fact, that I researched to see if HBOGo had gone 4K - which according to most the answer is no. But I could have sworn seeing the Imp's beard and clothing threads we were watching something close to 4k. The blacks on this set are better than my plasma - now that could be because the plasma is 7 years old, but I had never experienced what a FALD set could actually pull off while at the same time being so bright. I can't imagine a $3k-$4k OLED would justify the price difference.

Streaming via WiFi Jack Ryan 4K HDR (Amazon Prime) : WOW! I had never experienced HDR before last night. Now, I am still not sure exactly what it does or does not do, but this content looked the best on this set. Once the set recognized it was an HDR show it automatically changed the picture setting to "Dolby Vision" and the blacks, colors, and brightness were so good, it exceeded my expectations. I imagine I will look for 4k HDR shows and will watch them even if they are so-so just because of the PQ -- no lie.

Blu-Ray of WALL-E (actual disc via a Panasonic BR Player) : Not bad, not great. This was 1080p upconverted to 4K so I wasn't sure what to expect. The colors were fine, but the resolution left something to be desired. I am beginning to learn that given the choice of any content on a 4k TV - I need to choose 4k. DUH! - you might say, but this is my first 4k tv and my first screen bigger than 55".

I've never paid anyone to calibrate a tv and don't foresee me doing it this time either. I copied rtings 55" numbers just for the heck of it, but I would like for one of you guys to post yours. I find myself switching between the presets based on what I am watching - sports, movie, normal, etc.

I hope you guys find this helpful. I am happy with my purchase. The only thing I may 'upgrade' is the remote - assuming the 75R617 or any Roku WiFi/Voice remote works with this set. DO THEY??
aaronwt likes this.
Gator Rican is offline  
post #343 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Member
 
pandaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Rican View Post
Keep in mind I dont even own a 4K player and may not even get one.

...

Streaming via WiFi Jack Ryan 4K HDR (Amazon Prime) : WOW! I had never experienced HDR before last night. Now, I am still not sure exactly what it does or does not do, but this content looked the best on this set. Once the set recognized it was an HDR show it automatically changed the picture setting to "Dolby Vision" and the blacks, colors, and brightness were so good, it exceeded my expectations. I imagine I will look for 4k HDR shows and will watch them even if they are so-so just because of the PQ -- no lie.

Blu-Ray of WALL-E (actual disc via a Panasonic BR Player) : Not bad, not great. This was 1080p upconverted to 4K so I wasn't sure what to expect. The colors were fine, but the resolution left something to be desired. I am beginning to learn that given the choice of any content on a 4k TV - I need to choose 4k. DUH! - you might say, but this is my first 4k tv and my first screen bigger than 55".
4K Blu-rays are really really nice... it's the only way to actually max out picture quality, as even the Amazon 4K/HDR will be compressed somewhat so it can be streamed. Leads to some compressed colors in gradients that would look perfect coming off a disc. Remember, even 4K HDR streaming has a lower total bitrate (less image information being passed) than standard 1080p blu-ray.

I bought this used Sony 4K/DV blu-ray for $135, and it's been great. The "smart apps" part of it sucks, which is why it's affordable, but with a Roku TV already you obviously don't need to use any of that, just click on the disc icon and you're good to go.

And as for finding content, I'm quite happy with Rent4k.com so far. You can get a monthly membership for $10 with $2 disc rentals. Unfortunately it's only 1-out-at-a-time and some newer titles are always sold out, but cost wise it's a no-brainer... cost for 2/3/4 discs in a month is $14/$16/$18 vs Amazon 4K streaming at $8 coming to $16/$24/$32. A tip I didn't know about at first is you can email them when you put the disc back in the mail so the next one gets out faster. It's definitely a start-up type company but hopefully there are enough videophiles out there who care about the streaming/disc quality difference, so they can grow...
pandaconda is offline  
post #344 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montgomery County, PA
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I am having the worst luck with this TV. I am now on my 4th set and I cannot seem to get one that does not have screen issues that just cannot be overlooked. The first TV had horrendous screen uniformity with inconsistent black levels, the second TV had a really bad jail bar effect that during panning shots was really noticeable and bothered my eyes so this weekend I decided for number 3 in hopes of getting one before my 30 window expired only to find dark spots in 3-4 different spots on the screen.

Being that I was having all these issues I went in to Best Buy last night ready to just return it and call it quits and wait until this fall/winter when the 2019 are starting to see price drops. After talking with the guy there and him telling me that every time I exchange one the 30 day window resets and after looking at the 75R615 they had on display that had an immaculate screen I decided that there is no way I get a fourth bad screen so I opted for another exchange. Wouldn't' you know I got home with the 4th TV last night and got it all hooked up and ready and alas, it has the same issues as the 3rd TV with dark spots in almost the same exact spots.

Here is the 3rd TV that got on Saturday from the Best Buy on Concord Pike in DE. I tried everything to get those dots to go away but nothing.

Spoiler!


Here are pics of the issue that I have with the 4th TV which I got from the Best Buy in King of Prussia which is my home store (I went to DE initially to save on tax). Notice how the spots are in almost the same exact spot as the 3rd TV which is dead center of the screen about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom...the only difference is the 3rd TV had 3 spots and this one has 2 spots.

Spoiler!


Even though I have picture evidence of every defect and showed the BB associates when returning (in which all people that saw the pictures agreed with me) I am fearful that Best Buy might flag me if I do another exchange and I really do not want to be put on their "too many returns list" so I really think I have to pass on this set even though outside of these screen issues seems to be a solid TV and one that really want to work right.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this on their 75R615/617?? I am just trying to make sense out of this, I have always had good luck up until now with consumer electronics so this really bothering me that I just can't get a near flawless panel. I was always one of the people that said 4K was a waste blah, blah, blah but after having it for a month I have really been liking the upped resolution and HDR so this is bothering me a bit.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
Smigro is offline  
post #345 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 10:08 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,937
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9299 Post(s)
Liked: 5984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Rican View Post
Would like to know this as well. After getting used to a Fire TV 4k Stick wifi remote, pointing at the tv to do things seems a hassle because you need line-of-sight. Also the voice functionality, at least on the stick, was very useful.
But do you actually need to point it at the TV? All my IR devices still receive the IR signals without me needing to point a remote at the device. The IR will bounce off my walls, ceiling etc. I can even point an IR remote at the carpeted floor, behind the couch. And the IR only devices will still get the signal from the remote. ten feet away on the opposite side of the couch/room.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #346 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But do you actually need to point it at the TV? All my IR devices still receive the IR signals without me needing to point a remote at the device. The IR will bounce off my walls, ceiling etc. I can even point an IR remote at the carpeted floor, behind the couch. And the IR only devices will still get the signal from the remote. ten feet away on the opposite side of the couch/room.
Perhaps others don't. But if I don't point at TV my remote only works half the time. Are you specifically talking about this TV set or all your 'other' IR devices?
Gator Rican is offline  
post #347 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
I am having the worst luck with this TV. I am now on my 4th set and I cannot seem to get one that does not have screen issues that just cannot be overlooked. The first TV had horrendous screen uniformity with inconsistent black levels, the second TV had a really bad jail bar effect that during panning shots was really noticeable and bothered my eyes so this weekend I decided for number 3 in hopes of getting one before my 30 window expired only to find dark spots in 3-4 different spots on the screen.

Being that I was having all these issues I went in to Best Buy last night ready to just return it and call it quits and wait until this fall/winter when the 2019 are starting to see price drops. After talking with the guy there and him telling me that every time I exchange one the 30 day window resets and after looking at the 75R615 they had on display that had an immaculate screen I decided that there is no way I get a fourth bad screen so I opted for another exchange. Wouldn't' you know I got home with the 4th TV last night and got it all hooked up and ready and alas, it has the same issues as the 3rd TV with dark spots in almost the same exact spots.

Here is the 3rd TV that got on Saturday from the Best Buy on Concord Pike in DE. I tried everything to get those dots to go away but nothing.

Spoiler!


Here are pics of the issue that I have with the 4th TV which I got from the Best Buy in King of Prussia which is my home store (I went to DE initially to save on tax). Notice how the spots are in almost the same exact spot as the 3rd TV which is dead center of the screen about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom...the only difference is the 3rd TV had 3 spots and this one has 2 spots.

Spoiler!


Even though I have picture evidence of every defect and showed the BB associates when returning (in which all people that saw the pictures agreed with me) I am fearful that Best Buy might flag me if I do another exchange and I really do not want to be put on their "too many returns list" so I really think I have to pass on this set even though outside of these screen issues seems to be a solid TV and one that really want to work right.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this on their 75R615/617?? I am just trying to make sense out of this, I have always had good luck up until now with consumer electronics so this really bothering me that I just can't get a near flawless panel. I was always one of the people that said 4K was a waste blah, blah, blah but after having it for a month I have really been liking the upped resolution and HDR so this is bothering me a bit.
Well, since I don't plan on putting full colored screens on my set, I can't confirm nor deny that my set contains imperfections
Smigro likes this.
Gator Rican is offline  
post #348 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaconda View Post
4K Blu-rays are really really nice... it's the only way to actually max out picture quality, as even the Amazon 4K/HDR will be compressed somewhat so it can be streamed. Leads to some compressed colors in gradients that would look perfect coming off a disc. Remember, even 4K HDR streaming has a lower total bitrate (less image information being passed) than standard 1080p blu-ray.

I bought this used Sony 4K/DV blu-ray for $135, and it's been great. The "smart apps" part of it sucks, which is why it's affordable, but with a Roku TV already you obviously don't need to use any of that, just click on the disc icon and you're good to go.

And as for finding content, I'm quite happy with Rent4k.com so far. You can get a monthly membership for $10 with $2 disc rentals. Unfortunately it's only 1-out-at-a-time and some newer titles are always sold out, but cost wise it's a no-brainer... cost for 2/3/4 discs in a month is $14/$16/$18 vs Amazon 4K streaming at $8 coming to $16/$24/$32. A tip I didn't know about at first is you can email them when you put the disc back in the mail so the next one gets out faster. It's definitely a start-up type company but hopefully there are enough videophiles out there who care about the streaming/disc quality difference, so they can grow...
Will 4k UHD disc players also play Blu-ray and DVD discs?
Gator Rican is offline  
post #349 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montgomery County, PA
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Rican View Post
Well, since I don't plan on putting full colored screens on my set, I can't confirm nor deny that my set contains imperfections
Well then don't plan on watching anything Planet Earth II where there are loads of underwater and sky scenes that are one solid color where this flaw really rears it ugly head which is what pisses me off. 90% of the time you do not notice them but even last night watching the Phillies game I could see them when they were in an area that showed the grass.

Let me also state that I have been trying to find these imperfections by putting the TV's through torture tests...I have been hooking the TV's up, calibrating them and then just watching my programming but the last two TV's I could see these imperfections the second the TV turned on and went to the solid red screen to set the TV up.

Trust me, I really wish I could get a panel that doesn't have these issues because I do like the picture this TV put off and I have been loving 4K HDR but I just don't know if I should.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro

Last edited by Smigro; 05-07-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Smigro is offline  
post #350 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 01:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
Well then don't plan on watching anything Planet Earth II where there are loads of underwater and sky scenes that are one solid color where this flaw really rears it ugly head which is what pisses me off. 90% of the time you do not notice them but even last night watching the Phillies game I could see them when they were in an area that showed the grass.

Let me also state that I have been trying to find these imperfections by putting the TV's through torture tests...I have been hooking the TV's up, calibrating them and then just watching my programming but the last two TV's I could see these imperfections the second the TV turned on and went to the solid red screen to set the TV up.

Trust me, I really wish I could get a panel that doesn't have these issues because I do like the picture this TV put off and I have been loving 4K HDR but I just don't know if I should.
How do BB returns/exchanges work for something this big? Do they come to your home and take the 'bad' one?

And then you go in to store to get another one? Or maybe they do the switch right at your house?

I am asking in case I do find something I cannot overlook. I am sorry you are going through this - best of luck.
Gator Rican is offline  
post #351 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 01:49 PM
Member
 
pandaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Rican View Post
Will 4k UHD disc players also play Blu-ray and DVD discs?
Yep! Fully backwards compatible. This Sony player even gets good reviews for upscaling those lower resolutions, although I can't speak to that myself as I've only watched 4K discs so far. Blu-rays should look pretty good still, but remember that DVD is usually 480p resolution so you could fit 20X full-resolution DVD feeds on a single 4K screen and still have a few pixels leftover...

I think for pricier TVs you might want to let the TV do the upscaling, with their advanced AI chips or whatever they're calling it now. But since upscaling is my biggest gripe with the TV so far (NBCSN hockey in 720p really shows the low source resolution, though it's noticeably better with regular-NBC games in 1080i), I'm definitely going to let the Sony player handle that for any 1080p or lower discs.
pandaconda is offline  
post #352 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 02:33 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,937
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9299 Post(s)
Liked: 5984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Rican View Post
Perhaps others don't. But if I don't point at TV my remote only works half the time. Are you specifically talking about this TV set or all your 'other' IR devices?
I use a Roku RF remote with my 6 series from BestBuy.. And my harmony remote controls it over the network.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #353 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montgomery County, PA
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Rican View Post
How do BB returns/exchanges work for something this big? Do they come to your home and take the 'bad' one?

And then you go in to store to get another one? Or maybe they do the switch right at your house?

I am asking in case I do find something I cannot overlook. I am sorry you are going through this - best of luck.
I have had to box up and return to the store myself where there just exchange it for a new one. I have the packaging down pat at this point and get this thing in and out of the box in about 5 minutes, I am just getting sick of doing it. I still think I am going to call the BB customer service number and chat with someone about a situation like this with all the exchanges. Like I said earlier, I don't want to get put on the "too many returns" list because I am happening to have bad luck with this particular TV.

I do appreciate your sympathy though as this is just driving me mad. how could 2 TV's bought 2 days apart from two different states have the same issue...it just blows my mind.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
Smigro is offline  
post #354 of 699 Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,031
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 919
I thought upscaling was basically a non issue these days but apparently not? I used to have a Pioneer receiver which had an advanced upscaler chip (Marvel or Qdeo or something like that) which was heavily advertised as a pro. But then soon the wisdom became that you should let your tv do the upscaling.

This is the first time I'm reading that tv's don't do a good job. I have a lot of old dvd's that we like to watch and also 720p content. Is that not going to look good on this tv? If it can do a good job upscaling 1080p->4K then why not SD/720p->4K ?

Last edited by Defcon; 05-07-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Defcon is offline  
post #355 of 699 Old 05-08-2019, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 7,007
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 25729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I thought upscaling was basically a non issue these days but apparently not? I used to have a Pioneer receiver which had an advanced upscaler chip (Marvel or Qdeo or something like that) which was heavily advertised as a pro. But then soon the wisdom became that you should let your tv do the upscaling.

This is the first time I'm reading that tv's don't do a good job. I have a lot of old dvd's that we like to watch and also 720p content. Is that not going to look good on this tv? If it can do a good job upscaling 1080p->4K then why not SD/720p->4K ?
Resolution Comparison of 3840x2160p, 1920x1080p, 1280x720p, DVD 720 (NTSC & PAL)x: CHART

#1 ) DVD 720x480=345,600
#2 ) 1280x720=921,600
#3 ) 1920x1080=2,073,600
#4 ) 3840x2160=8,294,400

Looking at the chart we can see how much more information has to be calculated, indicated by the area of the rectangles, to upscale from a lower to higher resolution. I'm not infinitely knowledgeable in all this so we'll just be looking on a relative scale of things.

Working up from DVD resolution requires creating a lot more non-existent data to fill in the additional lines getting to 1920x1080. It needs an increase of about 5 times as many pixels which don't exist in the source material. Filling in all that space with estimated points is asking a lot. Now take that same DVD data and up-scale to 3840x2160 and that blows it up about 24 times, only 1 out of every 24 pixels is real data the rest are calculated. Just because they can get to 1080P does not indicate things are going to look near as good when the the data increases by another 4 times on the 4K display , especially considering most of the screen is filled with estimated data.

That's just looking at the resolution but also things will increase in difficulty with the number of frames per second.

It's late I need to get to bed and maybe a real expert can do better if I haven't given you enough of a perspective as to why initially may look like a trivial matter is in fact quite a challenge
pandaconda likes this.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
Matt2026 is offline  
post #356 of 699 Old 05-08-2019, 07:20 AM
Member
 
pandaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
Resolution Comparison of 3840x2160p, 1920x1080p, 1280x720p, DVD 720 (NTSC & PAL)x: CHART

#1 ) DVD 720x480=345,600
#2 ) 1280x720=921,600
#3 ) 1920x1080=2,073,600
#4 ) 3840x2160=8,294,400
^ This is a more complete version of what I was trying to say.

But I think another aspect here is just raw TV size. When 1080p was the latest and greatest, say 2008-2013, TVs were simply smaller. So that same 480p DVD quality was outdated then as well, but it didn't matter as much because the 50" TV of then was equivalent in terms of overall price/market-saturation that maybe a 65" TV is now. And 75" and 85" screens just weren't available for anyone but the ultra-rich or poor grad students like me who were willing to build an entire 100" projector-based theater in the living room haha.

Increasing TV size (for the same seating distance) = increasing field-of-view approaching a "cinematic" 40-degrees = your eyes can spot differences in resolution much easier

What I don't know is how advances in computing power have really changed up-scaling capability since then. My guess would be some improvement, but not all that much, as ultimately you'd need some sort of high-powered GPU bolted to the back of the TV to really make inferences about what pixels should be filled in where, all in real-time.
mlgreen and Matt2026 like this.
pandaconda is offline  
post #357 of 699 Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Rican View Post
Perhaps others don't. But if I don't point at TV my remote only works half the time. Are you specifically talking about this TV set or all your 'other' IR devices?
My 615 remote ONLY works when I point it at the TV.
Gator Rican likes this.
StephenM37 is offline  
post #358 of 699 Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But do you actually need to point it at the TV? All my IR devices still receive the IR signals without me needing to point a remote at the device. The IR will bounce off my walls, ceiling etc. I can even point an IR remote at the carpeted floor, behind the couch. And the IR only devices will still get the signal from the remote. ten feet away on the opposite side of the couch/room.

My center speaker blocks the ir receiver at the bottom of the TV. Because of this I can't use the remote from a seated position. Thankfully, I can use the Roku App on my phone for everything.

TV: TCL 75R615
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR787 running in a 5.4.4 configuration
Speakers: Polk T Series
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB12-NSD and dual SVS PB-1000.
Gaming Systems: PlayStation 4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.
TheNameIsSam is offline  
post #359 of 699 Old 05-08-2019, 06:03 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post
Standard warranty is 1 year. They should cover you. They will send a tech out to analyze it. He will likely order a new screen and break the first two they ship to him. (I read some other poor souls had this issue)
Well, I sent TCL photos of the flashing/lines and they had a replacement set delivered tonight. Fingers crossed.
aaronwt and sk373 like this.
James Maxlow is offline  
post #360 of 699 Old 05-09-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,031
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Thank you very much, and is that a cause for concern against a display that is true 10 bit?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaconda View Post
^ This is a more complete version of what I was trying to say.

But I think another aspect here is just raw TV size. When 1080p was the latest and greatest, say 2008-2013, TVs were simply smaller. So that same 480p DVD quality was outdated then as well, but it didn't matter as much because the 50" TV of then was equivalent in terms of overall price/market-saturation that maybe a 65" TV is now. And 75" and 85" screens just weren't available for anyone but the ultra-rich or poor grad students like me who were willing to build an entire 100" projector-based theater in the living room haha.

Increasing TV size (for the same seating distance) = increasing field-of-view approaching a "cinematic" 40-degrees = your eyes can spot differences in resolution much easier

What I don't know is how advances in computing power have really changed up-scaling capability since then. My guess would be some improvement, but not all that much, as ultimately you'd need some sort of high-powered GPU bolted to the back of the TV to really make inferences about what pixels should be filled in where, all in real-time.
The jump from dvd->1080p is higher (~5x moore pixels) than 1080->4K. All I'm saying is my receiver's upscaler all those years ago did a great job (https://www.marvell.com/products/dig...t/release/932/). And that was much older tech.

The tv's today have really powerful cpu's. I don't know about the TCL but Sony/Samsung/LG tv's do in fact process each frame in real time and can add details and color correct e.g to make up for HDR10 static metadata, so I expect better upscaling. This is not even taking into account machine learning and software processing algorithms to improve image quality, again I believe the higher priced tv's all do this to some degree.

Let face it, 4K content is rare, and expensive. For those buying a big tv, there's going to be a ton of non-HDR, 720p or even SD content you will watch, and the streaming sources are all compressed anyway.
Defcon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off