2019 TCL 75R615 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 176Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 421 Old 05-12-2019, 05:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Yuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Non 4K Receiver . Planning to get a TCL 6 Series 4K set. My current receiver, Yamaha RX-V667, does not have 4K pass through.
In my current setup, all my inputs go into the receiver, then to the TV. My cable output has an hdmi splinter on it, one goes into the Xbox One X, the other to the receiver. All controlled by a Harmony remote. Buying a 4K Receiver is not a current option

The TCL has optical out (but I’m not sure if this carries a 5.1 output), or the manual says I can use the HDMI ARC output, and enable ARC. ARC always plays havoc with the Harmony, and it usually the first thing to turn off. I don’t know if the TCL will output audio via HDMI without ARC.

Anyone here know if optical out carries surround sound or HDMI can output sound without ARC?
Yuss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 421 Old 05-12-2019, 06:24 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,303
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8900 Post(s)
Liked: 5689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuss View Post
Non 4K Receiver . Planning to get a TCL 6 Series 4K set. My current receiver, Yamaha RX-V667, does not have 4K pass through.
In my current setup, all my inputs go into the receiver, then to the TV. My cable output has an hdmi splinter on it, one goes into the Xbox One X, the other to the receiver. All controlled by a Harmony remote. Buying a 4K Receiver is not a current option

The TCL has optical out (but I’m not sure if this carries a 5.1 output), or the manual says I can use the HDMI ARC output, and enable ARC. ARC always plays havoc with the Harmony, and it usually the first thing to turn off. I don’t know if the TCL will output audio via HDMI without ARC.

Anyone here know if optical out carries surround sound or HDMI can output sound without ARC?
On the Yamaha site it shows that the RX-V667 does work with the Audio Return Channel. So as long as it works with DD+ you would still be able to use the TVs internal apps and use the ARC to get the DD+ audio to the receiver.

I use a Harmony Hub and Harmony remote with my 6 series. I have no issues using the ARC with it.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #363 of 421 Old 05-15-2019, 06:20 PM
Member
 
pandaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Finally got around to taking shots of my 75R615's (lack of) DSE. First shot is some-percent grey, the worst I could get it to look in a YouTube progression of different greys. Second one is full-white where any DSE is even less visible. These were taken with a Note 9 so they should be fairly good... probably should have broke out my Olympus with f/1.8 lens to collect the most light tho...

This was the first one I got delivered, and despite being pretty picky about image quality, I never thought about returning it. I do occasionally notice a dark spot when watching hockey, but that's only because I turned the backlight down for the "sports" setting to avoid washing out the ice. And also because hockey is a huge torture test for any FALD panel's DSE, regardless of model...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_210251.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	2567310   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_210225.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	2567312  
pandaconda is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #364 of 421 Old 05-15-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaconda View Post
Finally got around to taking shots of my 75R615's (lack of) DSE. First shot is some-percent grey, the worst I could get it to look in a YouTube progression of different greys. Second one is full-white where any DSE is even less visible. These were taken with a Note 9 so they should be fairly good... probably should have broke out my Olympus with f/1.8 lens to collect the most light tho...

This was the first one I got delivered, and despite being pretty picky about image quality, I never thought about returning it. I do occasionally notice a dark spot when watching hockey, but that's only because I turned the backlight down for the "sports" setting to avoid washing out the ice. And also because hockey is a huge torture test for any FALD panel's DSE, regardless of model...
I just setup my tv yesterday and I have only ~1 week now to test it since I was busy when it was delivered. I've tried the 'hockey dirty screen test' from Youtube but I don't know what to look for its just bars moving across the screen and it says to look for dark spots but I can't tell if thats image retention in eyes.

So can someone tell me exactly what to look for and how to test, so that an idiot like me can follow

Also what settings do I use? The Rtings page mentions Movie mode but thats not even an option in this set.

btw this thing is pretty daunting to even consider packing up and returning, I don't know how people do it multiple times.
Defcon is offline  
post #365 of 421 Old 05-15-2019, 06:53 PM
Member
 
pandaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
So can someone tell me exactly what to look for and how to test, so that an idiot like me can follow [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Also what settings do I use? The Rtings page mentions Movie mode but thats not even an option in this set.
Here's the YouTube vid I used, near the end is the important part where it goes through different shades of grey. I'm not sure if there's a better one out there though... this one doesn't have any dark greys really.

https://youtu.be/jsLZSnKdWaY

Honestly I don't know if I'd worry about it if you haven't seen dark splotches yet. I checked right out of the box because I knew I'd be watching playoff hockey right away (go Blues). Hockey is much much worse for exposing DSE than pretty much anything else... the only other things that might come close are football on an artificial (more uniform color) field or a nature documentary where they like track a hawk across a bright sky. It's the combo of brightness+uniform background+tracking side to side.

If you rarely watch stuff like that and haven't seen anything yet, I really wouldn't worry about it.
pandaconda is offline  
post #366 of 421 Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaconda View Post
Here's the YouTube vid I used, near the end is the important part where it goes through different shades of grey. I'm not sure if there's a better one out there though... this one doesn't have any dark greys really.

https://youtu.be/jsLZSnKdWaY

Honestly I don't know if I'd worry about it if you haven't seen dark splotches yet. I checked right out of the box because I knew I'd be watching playoff hockey right away (go Blues). Hockey is much much worse for exposing DSE than pretty much anything else... the only other things that might come close are football on an artificial (more uniform color) field or a nature documentary where they like track a hawk across a bright sky. It's the combo of brightness+uniform background+tracking side to side.

If you rarely watch stuff like that and haven't seen anything yet, I really wouldn't worry about it.
No I don't watch hockey, but any content with bright white color backgrounds will be an issue?

One thing I noticed is when I try Dolby Vision (I upgraded my Netflix plan today, can't believe I'm paying 2x now what Netflix used to be) then things switch to a warmer/yellower hue - is that normal?? Its easy to see because when a DV title starts the logo comes on and the titles which are in white become yellower.
Defcon is offline  
post #367 of 421 Old 05-16-2019, 07:01 AM
Member
 
pandaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
No I don't watch hockey, but any content with bright white color backgrounds will be an issue?

One thing I noticed is when I try Dolby Vision (I upgraded my Netflix plan today, can't believe I'm paying 2x now what Netflix used to be) then things switch to a warmer/yellower hue - is that normal?? Its easy to see because when a DV title starts the logo comes on and the titles which are in white become yellower.
Well no, it's worse when combined with a panning motion where your eyes naturally track across the screen. If you're really worried about it, you just have to throw every worst-case scenario (the ones I listed) at it while still within your return window.

As for the color change with HDR, that's likely because the TV automatically detects HDR and switches to a different settings profile. It would just be a matter of correcting the color within the HDR profile, then it should stay that way the next time HDR media plays. You'll know if it's your custom profile loading because it'll add an asterisk in the menu (HDR vs HDR*).
pandaconda is offline  
post #368 of 421 Old 05-16-2019, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaconda View Post
Here's the YouTube vid I used, near the end is the important part where it goes through different shades of grey. I'm not sure if there's a better one out there though... this one doesn't have any dark greys really.

https://youtu.be/jsLZSnKdWaY

Honestly I don't know if I'd worry about it if you haven't seen dark splotches yet. I checked right out of the box because I knew I'd be watching playoff hockey right away (go Blues). Hockey is much much worse for exposing DSE than pretty much anything else... the only other things that might come close are football on an artificial (more uniform color) field or a nature documentary where they like track a hawk across a bright sky. It's the combo of brightness+uniform background+tracking side to side.

If you rarely watch stuff like that and haven't seen anything yet, I really wouldn't worry about it.
I recorded that entire video on my tv - youtube.com/watch?v=QZ8gQ_5Yfq8

Can you or anyone else take a look and tell me if you spot anything bad? I really appreciate it, thanks. It was recorded from phone and youtube will likely compress it too but hopefully any defects will show up. (btw I still have the tape on sides and the energy sticker in the corner)

Last edited by Defcon; 05-17-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Defcon is offline  
post #369 of 421 Old 05-18-2019, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
^^ Can someone take a look?
Defcon is offline  
post #370 of 421 Old 05-18-2019, 08:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
^^ Can someone take a look?
I don't own a 75"er but do own the 55" and 65" version. I don't see anything in your video that is out of the norm for this tv. It looks better than my 55" and about the same as the 65".

Of course issues are way easier to see running full color slides or test patterns.......

Are you happy with it when you watch your shows/movies? That is what matters most.
tonyjspr9 is online now  
post #371 of 421 Old 05-18-2019, 09:47 PM
Newbie
 
ej76az's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: AZ
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To owners of this TV: please post your color settings. No matter what I do it seems like everything has too much yellow.
ej76az is offline  
post #372 of 421 Old 05-18-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
I don't own a 75"er but do own the 55" and 65" version. I don't see anything in your video that is out of the norm for this tv. It looks better than my 55" and about the same as the 65".

Of course issues are way easier to see running full color slides or test patterns.......

Are you happy with it when you watch your shows/movies? That is what matters most.
What does 'norm for this tv' mean? Do you see any issues there that are expected in TCL? Do you see any dirty screen effect etc?

I'm happy but I'm also not a good judge of picture quality etc, and everyone talks about panel lottery with TCL. Since my tv is still within return window I want to make sure I can do it if needed. People keep talking about seeing DSE, having to return multiple tv's etc.
Defcon is offline  
post #373 of 421 Old 05-18-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej76az View Post
To owners of this TV: please post your color settings. No matter what I do it seems like everything has too much yellow.
I'd also like to know this.
Defcon is offline  
post #374 of 421 Old 05-18-2019, 10:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
What does 'norm for this tv' mean? Do you see any issues there that are expected in TCL? Do you see any dirty screen effect etc?

I'm happy but I'm also not a good judge of picture quality etc, and everyone talks about panel lottery with TCL. Since my tv is still within return window I want to make sure I can do it if needed. People keep talking about seeing DSE, having to return multiple tv's etc.
Color slides will not show DSE very well. Color slides will show other defects like vertical banding and uneven color tinting. You need to play this youtube video (
) to evaluate DSE on your tv. I've owned my 6 series for awhile now and have followed this thread since the beginning of it. I have seen owners post way worse DSE pics/videos than yours. If you have to ask other owners if they see DSE because you don't know what to look for than you don't have bad DSE. Because bad DSE on a TV finds you.....

Try not worry about what other people think of the TCL panel lottery. All brands of tv's have issues and all of them have some sort of lottery when it comes to picture quality.

P.S.-Play the Modernwise DSE video at your own risk. What can be seen cannot be unseen.
Tiger-Bake likes this.
tonyjspr9 is online now  
post #375 of 421 Old 05-18-2019, 11:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej76az View Post
To owners of this TV: please post your color settings. No matter what I do it seems like everything has too much yellow.
I use the normal setting as i think warm is too yellow when watching most content. I only use the warm setting when watching dolby vision material. I am at work so cant check but think i added 5 to the default color settings. So if default is 45 i bumped it up to 50.
tonyjspr9 is online now  
post #376 of 421 Old 05-18-2019, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
Color slides will not show DSE very well. Color slides will show other defects like vertical banding and uneven color tinting. You need to play this youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs84_xCJPbc&t=69s) to evaluate DSE on your tv. I've owned my 6 series for awhile now and have followed this thread since the beginning of it. I have seen owners post way worse DSE pics/videos than yours. If you have to ask other owners if they see DSE because you don't know what to look for than you don't have bad DSE. Because bad DSE on a TV finds you.....

Try not worry about what other people think of the TCL panel lottery. All brands of tv's have issues and all of them have some sort of lottery when it comes to picture quality.

P.S.-Play the Modernwise DSE video at your own risk. What can be seen cannot be unseen.
I did play that video, it was the first thing I tried. I feel like an idiot because I don't know what to look for! It says 'look for dark spots' are those supposed to be left behind by the hockey puck, or the player? And what size should they be?

Watching movies/tv looks great to me so far. I don't want to go looking for faults at the same time its a pretty big purchase for us and I want to make sure I do the right thing.

Thanks for your help.
Defcon is offline  
post #377 of 421 Old 05-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Member
 
pandaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I did play that video, it was the first thing I tried. I feel like an idiot because I don't know what to look for! It says 'look for dark spots' are those supposed to be left behind by the hockey puck, or the player? And what size should they be?

Watching movies/tv looks great to me so far. I don't want to go looking for faults at the same time its a pretty big purchase for us and I want to make sure I do the right thing.

Thanks for your help.
Sorry I didn't get back after my initial reply. That video is really good, I hadn't seen that!

If you played that, plus the full-white and full-gray frames like in the video I showed you, and still don't see anything out of the ordinary, plus none of us were able to see anything from the video you uploaded... then you absolutely have an impeccable screen haha. You'd be crazy to return it. I'm actually jealous, as the DSE on mine is quite minimal (see pics above) but it still has enough that the average person could pick it out on those extreme tests.

DSE doesn't have anything to do with the hockey player itself in the video. That's only there to simulate fast movement and get your eyes quickly panning side to side, thus making backlight brightness unevenness (what DSE actually is) much more noticeable than with most "regular" content.
pandaconda is offline  
post #378 of 421 Old 05-20-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dropzone7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,241
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Just finished reading this thread as I wanted to get caught up. I have the 55" model and have been very happy with it. We just moved into a larger house and the 55 looks a bit lost. I think 75" would be a nice upgrade but now I'm wondering if I should wait to see what TCL releases later this year. Current models should probably drop in price a bit as well. I don't know. I kind of need to move sooner rather than later because new furniture is also in the works and the room will kind of be arranged around the TV. Decisions decisions.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
dropzone7 is offline  
post #379 of 421 Old 05-20-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,853
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Just finished reading this thread as I wanted to get caught up. I have the 55" model and have been very happy with it. We just moved into a larger house and the 55 looks a bit lost. I think 75" would be a nice upgrade but now I'm wondering if I should wait to see what TCL releases later this year. Current models should probably drop in price a bit as well. I don't know. I kind of need to move sooner rather than later because new furniture is also in the works and the room will kind of be arranged around the TV. Decisions decisions.
I know the indecision believe me, all tough questions.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
aaronwt likes this.
Hetfieldjames is offline  
post #380 of 421 Old 05-20-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Just finished reading this thread as I wanted to get caught up. I have the 55" model and have been very happy with it. We just moved into a larger house and the 55 looks a bit lost. I think 75" would be a nice upgrade but now I'm wondering if I should wait to see what TCL releases later this year. Current models should probably drop in price a bit as well. I don't know. I kind of need to move sooner rather than later because new furniture is also in the works and the room will kind of be arranged around the TV. Decisions decisions.
TCL announced their 8k tv with mini-Led will come out in 2019 (or perhaps early 2020) and they showed a 75" model at CES. I'm sure it will be priced much lower than other brands.

I upgraded my tv now with the following 'logic' aka what I used to fool myself

- the new TVs with HDMI 2.1, eARC ect will probably need other equipment upgrades
- it takes a few years for things to settle and its not good to be an early adopter - e.g. back in 2014 when I was considering 4K, there was no HDR
- I figured the one day sale price would not be seen again till Black Friday/Christmas - this may not end up being true..

IMO if you have decided on this particular model/TCL then go for it - both Amazon and BB have it for ~same price. If you want to wait then either look for another sale or wait till Nov to see whats out.
Defcon is offline  
post #381 of 421 Old 05-20-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
I've now seen this multiple times - the OSD on tv (which shows HDR, Volume etc) which is usually shown in top right starts showing up in top middle and is squished. It looks like a software bug but just want to make sure. Has anyone else seen this?
Defcon is offline  
post #382 of 421 Old 05-20-2019, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
js950's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
What does 'norm for this tv' mean? Do you see any issues there that are expected in TCL? Do you see any dirty screen effect etc?

I'm happy but I'm also not a good judge of picture quality etc, and everyone talks about panel lottery with TCL. Since my tv is still within return window I want to make sure I can do it if needed. People keep talking about seeing DSE, having to return multiple tv's etc.
Honestly, I'm tempted to say it looks bad just to mess with you. It looks more than acceptable. You shouldn't be asking others. If you don't notice a problem after testing for it, stop trying to find one already and be happy with your new TV. Of course, you could always return a few and end up with something worse.
js950 is offline  
post #383 of 421 Old 05-20-2019, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
PUNKem 733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Just finished reading this thread as I wanted to get caught up. I have the 55" model and have been very happy with it. We just moved into a larger house and the 55 looks a bit lost. I think 75" would be a nice upgrade but now I'm wondering if I should wait to see what TCL releases later this year. Current models should probably drop in price a bit as well. I don't know. I kind of need to move sooner rather than later because new furniture is also in the works and the room will kind of be arranged around the TV. Decisions decisions.
I'm waiting, we only have to wait a few months to see what is going on with their next sets. I REALLY want that Mini LED 85".
aaronwt and Hetfieldjames like this.
PUNKem 733 is offline  
post #384 of 421 Old 05-20-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Honestly, I'm tempted to say it looks bad just to mess with you. It looks more than acceptable. You shouldn't be asking others. If you don't notice a problem after testing for it, stop trying to find one already and be happy with your new TV. Of course, you could always return a few and end up with something worse.
And since a few people have said this now I want to clarify - I have no plans to return it But I'm new to the whole DSE/banding thing with LCD panels now that seems to be a very big thing and is mentioned in all reviews. Last time I bought a tv rtings wasn't a thing and the reviews were just about colors/black levels and it was easy to comprehend. So I just wanted some opinions and I'm glad I seem to have gotten a good panel.

Cam we talk about tv settings now - is everyone using the Rting settings? There used to be some optimized settings by a guy named Whitesands that were very popular on Avs and I was very happy with them. But he seems to no longer be a member here.
Defcon is offline  
post #385 of 421 Old 05-21-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dropzone7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,241
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNKem 733 View Post
I'm waiting, we only have to wait a few months to see what is going on with their next sets. I REALLY want that Mini LED 85".
I have plenty to do between now and then so maybe I will wait. To Defcon's point above however, I'm not anxious to be an early adopter this time. Been down that road several times and it rarely ends well.
dropzone7 is offline  
post #386 of 421 Old 05-21-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dropzone7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,241
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 140
What are you guys using for stands? I have a stand now that holds my 55" with some room to spare but no way a 75" is going to fit. I'm leaning towards wall mounting and replacing the stand with something lower but wider. Also, I was using a soundbar with this TV before but it got "lost" in the move. One more thing I have to buy but I'm now thinking I should go with some nice bookshelf speakers instead. Honestly, I have a harder time picking out TV stands than TV's. I'm kind of picky and curious what others are using.
dropzone7 is offline  
post #387 of 421 Old 05-21-2019, 07:02 AM
Member
 
pandaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
What are you guys using for stands? I have a stand now that holds my 55" with some room to spare but no way a 75" is going to fit. I'm leaning towards wall mounting and replacing the stand with something lower but wider. Also, I was using a soundbar with this TV before but it got "lost" in the move. One more thing I have to buy but I'm now thinking I should go with some nice bookshelf speakers instead. Honestly, I have a harder time picking out TV stands than TV's. I'm kind of picky and curious what others are using.
This Monoprice full-motion mount is amazing holding my 75", still can't believe how cheap it is, much like the TV itself. Just takes a good bit of effort to install (any beefy wall mount would... maybe a fixed slim mount would be easier?). Also for a 75" it absolutely has to be anchored in studs... I looked into drywall anchors a while before realizing how dumb that would be lol.

As for the entertainment center, I was also really picky and didn't see anything I liked. So I custom-built one

(this pic is before I got all new cables and hid them haha)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59177988_10101523320924812_949586182172311552_o.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	525.0 KB
ID:	2569488  
dropzone7 likes this.
pandaconda is offline  
post #388 of 421 Old 05-21-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dropzone7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,241
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaconda View Post
This Monoprice full-motion mount is amazing holding my 75", still can't believe how cheap it is, much like the TV itself. Just takes a good bit of effort to install (any beefy wall mount would... maybe a fixed slim mount would be easier?). Also for a 75" it absolutely has to be anchored in studs... I looked into drywall anchors a while before realizing how dumb that would be lol.

As for the entertainment center, I was also really picky and didn't see anything I liked. So I custom-built one

(this pic is before I got all new cables and hid them haha)
I have actually installed a few of those Monoprice mounts. They are built like tanks for sure. This TV is already a little on the thick side due to being FALD I guess. I was kind of thinking of going with a low profile mount that would tilt at most. I have never done that before but because the side of the wall the TV will be on is one of the first things you see walking in the front door I want it to be as flush as possible. It is nice to be able to pull the TV away from the wall for cable changes, etc. though. Good idea to build something, that might work but I would want something wider because I won't have floor standing speakers. I will be lucky if the wife allows fairly large bookshelf speakers. My vision is the 75" TV hanging on the wall with mount tight to the wall, hovering just far enough above a really wide stand to put the center speaker underneath and left and right speakers beside the TV. It's crazy how much some of these stands cost. I can't make myself pay over like $300 for that but then again, it is a centerpiece of the room. I can tell this is going to be one of those things I overthink WAY too much.
dropzone7 is offline  
post #389 of 421 Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
After about a month with this 75" TV, the one thing I can notice and the best way to describe it is - on solid colored backgrounds, like the blue sky, the green putting green, etc I can see slight 'jail bars' going vertically top-to-bottom on the screen. Is this what DSE is? Or maybe this is a uniformity issue?

I only see it in same-colored backgrounds. I do not plan to exchange the set. I'm happy with my purchase. Still trying to decide if wi-fi remote from the non-best buy edition is worth it. And of course does it work with this tv?
Gator Rican is offline  
post #390 of 421 Old 05-21-2019, 08:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaconda View Post
Finally got around to taking shots of my 75R615's (lack of) DSE. First shot is some-percent grey, the worst I could get it to look in a YouTube progression of different greys. Second one is full-white where any DSE is even less visible. These were taken with a Note 9 so they should be fairly good... probably should have broke out my Olympus with f/1.8 lens to collect the most light tho...

This was the first one I got delivered, and despite being pretty picky about image quality, I never thought about returning it. I do occasionally notice a dark spot when watching hockey, but that's only because I turned the backlight down for the "sports" setting to avoid washing out the ice. And also because hockey is a huge torture test for any FALD panel's DSE, regardless of model...
what is the best sports setting for motion? I keep playing with the LED Clarity, and the two others for basketball, but motion still not as good as my plasma - I realize it will never be, but curious which settings you use on Hi, Med, Low and/or Off.

I am also trying to figure out those settings for gaming.
Gator Rican is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off