2019 TCL 75R615 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 331Likes

post #421 of 735 Old 06-17-2019, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Wall mounting is really no big deal from a renter's standpoint. As long as the mount is quality, the holes left behind are no harder to patch than holes for a large picture frame. As long as your lease doesn't specify that you can't mount a TV, go for it. That said, as long as the TV fits on your stand, I don't know why it would move around any unless you are prone to bumping into it.... I do understand not wanting to take that risk, though. Alternatively, one can buy "universal TV stands" on the internet, or you could even consider using the feet from the 65" version which might be slightly smaller.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 735 Old 06-18-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
What TV stand are you guys using for this set ? My current stand is only 56" wide.

Thanks.
Make sure you invert the feet direction. Thats what I did for my tv, my stand is a glass/metal thing I got from BB a few years ago, it would not fit the tv without inverting feet.
post #423 of 735 Old 06-18-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drysprocket View Post
Well, I'm the fool who didn't measure the depth of my new tv stand for this model. The TV just arrived today and she's gorgeous, but those legs spread a mile wide and are basically ready to fall off the front/back of the stand. It makes sense to keep it steady now that I see the size in person, but I would have never thought it possible not to fit on my new tv stand; which of course I bought specifically for this tv.

I've read through this thread and saw mention about reversing the feet, but that won't do the trick for my situation. Any chance anyone knows of some replacement legs, or some sort of option to make the stance more narrow front to back? I called TCL to see if the Costco version has a slightly different legs on that stand, but sounds like it's the same.

I really don't want to wall mount this thing since I'm a renter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Here's a really stupid idea - you can get a slab of MDF from HomeDepot cut to your size - e.g. a foot longer than you need for tv and maybe 3' wide. Paint it black and put it on top of your current stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 735 Old 06-18-2019, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
Wall mounting is really no big deal from a renter's standpoint. As long as the mount is quality, the holes left behind are no harder to patch than holes for a large picture frame. As long as your lease doesn't specify that you can't mount a TV, go for it. That said, as long as the TV fits on your stand, I don't know why it would move around any unless you are prone to bumping into it.... I do understand not wanting to take that risk, though. Alternatively, one can buy "universal TV stands" on the internet, or you could even consider using the feet from the 65" version which might be slightly smaller.
I think I'm glad in hindsight that I didn't read this before the geeksquad came to install the mount today....because I might have went and found some 65" feet. Great idea, and the kind of solution that I initially wanted. But the mount turned out really well. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Here's a really stupid idea - you can get a slab of MDF from HomeDepot cut to your size - e.g. a foot longer than you need for tv and maybe 3' wide. Paint it black and put it on top of your current stand.
And good idea too, but I blacked out when you mentioned painting

I love this TV stand, but just fair warning that if you see it at Wayfair/Amazon etc (all going by different names) this is the one that I had the feet issue with. But a happy mounting ending none the less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190618_151636403.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	944.0 KB
ID:	2581794  
sk373 likes this.
post #425 of 735 Old 06-18-2019, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Make sure you invert the feet direction. Thats what I did for my tv, my stand is a glass/metal thing I got from BB a few years ago, it would not fit the tv without inverting feet.

How far apart are the legs when you invert them? I have the 75" coming on Friday and want to make sure it will fit my TV stand. I think they are 62" apart in the regular config.

Thanks!
post #426 of 735 Old 06-18-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
I thought about doing this. And our TV stand is black. Why 3' wide ? That's way too wide.
post #427 of 735 Old 06-19-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought about doing this. And our TV stand is black. Why 3' wide ? That's way too wide.
Yes, you're right. 1.5-2' should be more than enough.
post #428 of 735 Old 06-19-2019, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys, I had been posting in the 65 in tcl thread. Looked but hadn't seen the 75 thread. My question for you all with 75 in tcl's. I'm flipping between the tcl 75r615 or vizio p p75f1. Anyone try or see the vizio as well. Any pros or cons to either display?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #429 of 735 Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, you're right. 1.5-2' should be more than enough.
Thanks. About how long should the top be ?

Width - 18" to 24"

Length - ?
post #430 of 735 Old 06-19-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. About how long should the top be ?

Width - 18" to 24"

Length - ?
I'd say ~68-70" should be more than enough. The width of the tv itself is 66". The feet are maybe 1-2" from the edges when not reversed.
post #431 of 735 Old 06-19-2019, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Defcon
post #432 of 735 Old 06-20-2019, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 32
With all the discussion on stands, I was considering the FituEyes stand, because like many of you, my existing stand is too short. I eventually decided to get it mounted on the wall. With the recent price drop, I got Best Buy to do it. Figured I was going to pay the higher price anyway. It looks great on the wall.
This is the product I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CORQRX0...v_ov_lig_dp_it
FITUEYES Universal TV Stand with Swivel Mount Height Adjustable for 50inch to 80 inch TV FTT107003GB
post #433 of 735 Old 06-20-2019, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5347 View Post
Hey guys, I had been posting in the 65 in tcl thread. Looked but hadn't seen the 75 thread. My question for you all with 75 in tcl's. I'm flipping between the tcl 75r615 or vizio p p75f1. Anyone try or see the vizio as well. Any pros or cons to either display?

I believe the TCL 6 Series is a nicer TV than the Vizio P Series, but I could be wrong...
aaronwt likes this.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #434 of 735 Old 06-20-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
There is a full review coming from Caleb at Digital Trends. He kind of gave a hint that he loved it. I'm not in a position for a TV right now, I wish I was because at this price is a no brainier.
post #435 of 735 Old 06-20-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
There is a full review coming from Caleb at Digital Trends. He kind of gave a hint that he loved it. I'm not in a position for a TV right now, I wish I was because at this price is a no brainier.
I saw his unboxing video and he mentioned the full review was coming which I'm anxious to see as well. I have pretty much settled on this TV and the hold up now is trying to decide what stand to put it on.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #436 of 735 Old 06-20-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
I saw his unboxing video and he mentioned the full review was coming which I'm anxious to see as well. I have pretty much settled on this TV and the hold up now is trying to decide what stand to put it on.
I'm not ready to buy but I want to go up in size from my 55 inch I have now. Why go 65 inches when you can get a 75 inch at this price. I very well may try it.
post #437 of 735 Old 06-20-2019, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I saw that video. Cant wait to see what he thinks. Does anyone know for sure the hz on this TV? I hear 120 and ppl say no way its 60hz. I have read 55 and 65 is 60hz and 75 is the 120. Also is this an 8 bit panel? If so is it still a go. I'm not sure the difference between 8 and 10

Ok so to add to my question or actually clear them up it seems it is a 120hz and 10 bit.

Last edited by Jeff5347; 06-20-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #438 of 735 Old 06-21-2019, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

By all but one account it is a 60Hz native panel. Some feel that it doesn't matter.

I would recommend this TV to just about anyone in the market. 75" decent set for this price? It's a no-brainer unless you're a VERY discerning and picky person.

I would own this set if I hadn't lucked out on a top-of-the-line Sony for the same price. To me the only competition here on the normal market is 75" TCL vs. 65" X900F. Same price. Can't go wrong either way IMO. To beat either, you'll spend a lot more. Most would say that the larger screen easily offsets the marginal increase the Sony gives in PQ.

post #439 of 735 Old 06-22-2019, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thumbs up New Owner Review

One week ago I took delivery of a TCL 75R615. Overall this display exceeded my expectations. Read on for my detailed, if somewhat lengthy, review.

The 75R615 is intended to be a bridge product between my well-loved 10yr old plasma and technologies that become mainstream in 3-4 years (top-emission OLED, Micro-LED). Relying on the expert opinion and objective observation of those on AVS, RTINGS, HDTV Test and other sites that cater to the most discriminating video enthusiasts, I made a list of selection criteria important to my family’s viewing habits. Current technology is imperfect, so I just wanted a good-enough match to my list at a cost that justifies replacement in 4-5 years.

My list, in order of priority: (1) Crisp, bright image devoid of ABL (perceived dimming of outdoor scenes), (2) Deep blacks with good dark scene detail, (3) Good motion handling & 24 fps film rendering without flickering, (4) Little or no DSE & banding artifacts, (5) Upscaling, and (6) Smart TV interface that everyone can use without a lot of hand-holding. My family primary watch streamed & Blu-ray (Oppo 203) movies and documentaries, laced with occasional live sports and news events. No gaming. 75” Displays that met our criteria were the Samsung 75Q80R and Sony 75X950G. 77” LG & Sony OLEDs were eliminated due to ABL and cost. The 75” TCL became a candidate after seeing it at BB and comparing the PQ to Q80R and X950G. BB’s recent price drop motivated me to pull the trigger on the TCL.

My 1-week TCL experience: BB did an excellent job delivering to my challenging hill-side location. There was water damage to a foot-long section along the bottom of the box. BB delivery team offered to return it. They waited while we opened it up for inspection. The set was wrapped in plastic and sat high enough in the Styrofoam packing that it seemed unaffected. BB took photos and said to call for a return if there were any problems. After they left, I completed unboxing and kept the set vertical while attaching the leg sections. The outside stance of the legs was 62 1/4”, just short of my 64” entertainment center. I completed just enough on-screen setup to attach my Dell notebook without connecting the set to a network. 4k solid-color black, grey & RGB images confirmed no stuck/dead pixels and no detectable DSE/banding. After a hardwired GB connection and 10 minutes, the set got firmware updates and all my Roku Ultra settings were copied to the TCL. After turning off local dimming and all optional processing I checked brightness/contrast using YouTube, AVS 709 & S&M video calibration feeds. TCL was spot-on and needed no adjustment. Color/Tint got minor tweaks to dial them in. Next was the test I dreaded – Black Screen uniformity. Using RTINGS white-cross-on-black image, I photographed the TCL in a completely blacked-out basement room using a tripod mounted Nikon D90 with all image processing turned off, set to the RTINGS recommended ISO 200, f 4.0 and 2 seconds. The TCL backlight was set to “Darker” and LD turned off. Resulting BlackUniformity4K-TCL75R615.jpg is attached (slight halo around middle is the camera, not observed image). I was really impressed that the 75” TCL Black Screen uniformity matched (maybe exceeded) the 55Q80R results posted on RTINGS. Playing the YouTube Sony OLED Las Vegas demo video confirmed these results. Bright color highlights on black background are stunning on the 75” TCL. For bright image performance I used Netflix Our Planet E1 sea-side cliff scene at 03:37. Jaw-dropping – smooth, bright gradients in rendering of sky and sea reflections, fluid stutter-free motion of birds in flight, rich colored cliffs and crisp detail of birds nested on them. (set @ Bright/Normal DV/Warm/LD Low/Smoothing off). My media room has large windows on two sides. Stepping backlight from Brighter thru Dark easily adapts the display to our day and night time viewing. Similar or better results were achieved when our Oppo 203 was pushing 12bit 4K HDR to the TCL. I could not detect the subpixel dithering (ChromaSubpixelDithering.jpg) RTINGS found in their testing of a smaller model of this display. Moving on to scaling, the 75” TCL delivered 4K SDR like images when fed 1080 content from Spectrum, and did a good job of making 480 and 720 content as watchable as our plasma displays – just not at the level plasma can render nuances of facial coloring. The TCL Roku interface is intuitive, quick and robust in its support of applications. A bonus is the Roku app that gives our iPads and phones access to the TCL’s Roku’s remote functions with voice control, private listening and advanced settings including 11-pt WB adjustment. The Roku Media Player app nicely upscales and displays phone video and photos loaded on a thumb drive plugged into the USP port. The set’s speakers sound better that most displays and are more than adequate for Spectrum app content. At least a soundbar plugged into the headphone/SPDIF jack is needed for anything more.

Minor annoyances (with no obvious workarounds). The TCL needs (1) an “Info” button to display the resolution and SDR/HDR status of apps played though the Roku apps, (2) a way to save backlight settings individually for each app, (3) built in Bluetooth support for headphones & soundbars (vs Bluetooth dongle plugged into headphone jack), (4) a way to adjust the settings menu time-out after * is pressed.

Overall, I’m impressed with the picture quality and features the TCL 75R615 offers for the price – exceeding my expectations. My preferred alternatives (950G & Q80R) may be better, but not enough to justify nearly 3x the cost. If my TCL continues to perform over the next 4 years I’ll be a real happy camper.

Name:	BlackUniformity4K-TCL75R615.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	906.4 KB
ID:	2583258

Name:	Chroma-SubpixelDithering.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	2583260
aaronwt, dropzone7, Yuss and 1 others like this.

Last edited by CYBRCH; 06-22-2019 at 05:48 PM.
post #440 of 735 Old 06-23-2019, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBRCH View Post
One week ago I took delivery of a TCL 75R615. Overall this display exceeded my expectations. Read on for my detailed, if somewhat lengthy, review.

—- snip ——

Attachment 2583258

Attachment 2583260
CYBRCH, that was impressive. Thank you.
I bought the set from Best Buy a week ago as well. It works fantastically for games as well. The one gaming feature I was not expecting, but am overjoyed exists, is that my Xbox One automatically switches it to Game Mode when a game starts. I use my Xbox for several other non-gaming activities as well, and this is a great convenience factor.
dropzone7 likes this.
post #441 of 735 Old 06-23-2019, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:

The 75R615 is intended to be a bridge product between my well-loved 10yr old plasma and technologies that become mainstream in 3-4 years (top-emission OLED, Micro-LED). Relying on the expert opinion and objective observation of those on AVS, RTINGS, HDTV Test and other sites that cater to the most discriminating video enthusiasts, I made a list of selection criteria important to my family’s viewing habits. Current technology is imperfect, so I just wanted a good-enough match to my list at a cost that justifies replacement in 4-5 years.

My list, in order of priority: (1) Crisp, bright image devoid of ABL (perceived dimming of outdoor scenes), (2) Deep blacks with good dark scene detail, (3) Good motion handling & 24 fps film rendering without flickering, (4) Little or no DSE & banding artifacts, (5) Upscaling, and (6) Smart TV interface that everyone can use without a lot of hand-holding. My family primary watch streamed & Blu-ray (Oppo 203) movies and documentaries, laced with occasional live sports and news events. No gaming. 75” Displays that met our criteria were the Samsung 75Q80R and Sony 75X950G. 77” LG & Sony OLEDs were eliminated due to ABL and cost. The 75” TCL became a candidate after seeing it at BB and comparing the PQ to Q80R and X950G. BB’s recent price drop motivated me to pull the trigger on the TCL.

My 1-week TCL experience: BB did an excellent job delivering to my challenging hill-side location. There was water damage to a foot-long section along the bottom of the box. BB delivery team offered to return it. They waited while we opened it up for inspection. The set was wrapped in plastic and sat high enough in the Styrofoam packing that it seemed unaffected. BB took photos and said to call for a return if there were any problems. After they left, I completed unboxing and kept the set vertical while attaching the leg sections. The outside stance of the legs was 62 1/4”, just short of my 64” entertainment center. I completed just enough on-screen setup to attach my Dell notebook without connecting the set to a network. 4k solid-color black, grey & RGB images confirmed no stuck/dead pixels and no detectable DSE/banding. After a hardwired GB connection and 10 minutes, the set got firmware updates and all my Roku Ultra settings were copied to the TCL. After turning off local dimming and all optional processing I checked brightness/contrast using YouTube, AVS 709 & S&M video calibration feeds. TCL was spot-on and needed no adjustment. Color/Tint got minor tweaks to dial them in. Next was the test I dreaded – Black Screen uniformity. Using RTINGS white-cross-on-black image, I photographed the TCL in a completely blacked-out basement room using a tripod mounted Nikon D90 with all image processing turned off, set to the RTINGS recommended ISO 200, f 4.0 and 2 seconds. The TCL backlight was set to “Darker” and LD turned off. Resulting BlackUniformity4K-TCL75R615.jpg is attached (slight halo around middle is the camera, not observed image). I was really impressed that the 75” TCL Black Screen uniformity matched (maybe exceeded) the 55Q80R results posted on RTINGS. Playing the YouTube Sony OLED Las Vegas demo video confirmed these results. Bright color highlights on black background are stunning on the 75” TCL. For bright image performance I used Netflix Our Planet E1 sea-side cliff scene at 03:37. Jaw-dropping – smooth, bright gradients in rendering of sky and sea reflections, fluid stutter-free motion of birds in flight, rich colored cliffs and crisp detail of birds nested on them. (set @ Bright/Normal DV/Warm/LD Low/Smoothing off). My media room has large windows on two sides. Stepping backlight from Brighter thru Dark easily adapts the display to our day and night time viewing. Similar or better results were achieved when our Oppo 203 was pushing 12bit 4K HDR to the TCL. I could not detect the subpixel dithering (ChromaSubpixelDithering.jpg) RTINGS found in their testing of a smaller model of this display. Moving on to scaling, the 75” TCL delivered 4K SDR like images when fed 1080 content from Spectrum, and did a good job of making 480 and 720 content as watchable as our plasma displays – just not at the level plasma can render nuances of facial coloring. The TCL Roku interface is intuitive, quick and robust in its support of applications. A bonus is the Roku app that gives our iPads and phones access to the TCL’s Roku’s remote functions with voice control, private listening and advanced settings including 11-pt WB adjustment. The Roku Media Player app nicely upscales and displays phone video and photos loaded on a thumb drive plugged into the USP port. The set’s speakers sound better that most displays and are more than adequate for Spectrum app content. At least a soundbar plugged into the headphone/SPDIF jack is needed for anything more.

Minor annoyances (with no obvious workarounds). The TCL needs (1) an “Info” button to display the resolution and SDR/HDR status of apps played though the Roku apps, (2) a way to save backlight settings individually for each app, (3) built in Bluetooth support for headphones & soundbars (vs Bluetooth dongle plugged into headphone jack), (4) a way to adjust the settings menu time-out after * is pressed.

Overall, I’m impressed with the picture quality and features the TCL 75R615 offers for the price – exceeding my expectations. My preferred alternatives (950G & Q80R) may be better, but not enough to justify nearly 3x the cost. If my TCL continues to perform over the next 4 years I’ll be a real happy camper.

Attachment 2583258

Attachment 2583260
Looks great but dark backlight and LD off is likely not the way that you'll use it and exposure has a lot to do with that result so without the same exact conditions that Rtings is uses, the pic isn't really referenced to anything. Contrast on these are plenty good enough so I'm not saying anything is wrong here, just not a comparison to anything under these conditions. What's interesting is that if you do turn down the brightness to match a plasma a lot of these VA panels look to have VG contrast. Plasma's didn't have the sort of black hole blacks that OLEDs do. The biggest issue you should have vs your plasma should be motion but that's personal so if that aspect is OK for you, you're good to go. I keep looking at 75" Tvs as well but I'm currently not that into HDR material so my 60" kuro is doing the job and I happen to be sensitive to motion. I had a really old 50" panny plasma that had lost enough brightness that it's dynamic range (contrast, since the blacks became gray when adding the needed brightness) suffered so started looking for something new like you just did, found this 60" Kuro for $400 to tide me over for a year but am so happy with it that I may wait for the next step in tech as well.

Last edited by js950; 06-23-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #442 of 735 Old 06-23-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Looks great but dark backlight and LD off is likely not the way that you'll use it and exposure has a lot to do with that result so without the same exact conditions that Rtings is uses, the pic isn't really referenced to anything. Contrast on these are plenty good enough so I'm not saying anything is wrong here, just not a comparison to anything under these conditions. What's interesting is that if you do turn down the brightness to match a plasma a lot of these VA panels look to have VG contrast. Plasma's didn't have the sort of black hole blacks that OLEDs do. The biggest issue you should have vs your plasma should be motion but that's personal so if that aspect is OK for you, you're good to go. I keep looking at 75" Tvs as well but I'm currently not that into HDR material so my 60" kuro is doing the job and I happen to be sensitive to motion. I had a really old 50" panny plasma that had lost enough brightness that it's dynamic range (contrast, since the blacks became gray when adding the needed brightness) suffered so started looking for something new like you just did, found this 60" Kuro for $400 to tide me over for a year but am so happy with it that I may wait for the next step in tech as well.
See: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...-flashlighting

"The backlight of the TV is set so that white emits 100 cd/m2 of light. In order to show the TV’s true uniformity, we don't turn on local dimming"

According to: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...-2018/settings

"For our calibration target of 100 cd/m² we set the TV's brightness setting to Darker"

This is what I did to test Black Uniformity.

However, when watching streamed or Blu-ray content LD is High and TV Brightness is Normal or Bright. And, yes, motion is more fluid with our plasma. (sample & hold vs. impulse)
post #443 of 735 Old 06-23-2019, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
See: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...-flashlighting

"The backlight of the TV is set so that white emits 100 cd/m2 of light. In order to show the TV’s true uniformity, we don't turn on local dimming"

According to: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...-2018/settings

"For our calibration target of 100 cd/m² we set the TV's brightness setting to Darker"

This is what I did to test Black Uniformity.

However, when watching streamed or Blu-ray content LD is High and TV Brightness is Normal or Bright. And, yes, motion is more fluid with our plasma. (sample & hold vs. impulse)
Got it but without using the same camera in the same space etc, it's still is quite variable and the 75 darker mode may measure a somewhat different brightness than the 65 Rtings tested at the same settings. I don't think the contrast is in question on these sets anyway. It's very good. It's more things like DSE and motion that some are sensitive to.
post #444 of 735 Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Got it but without using the same camera in the same space etc, it's still is quite variable and the 75 darker mode may measure a somewhat different brightness than the 65 Rtings tested at the same settings. I don't think the contrast is in question on these sets anyway. It's very good. It's more things like DSE and motion that some are sensitive to.
Yes, DSE and motion are important to many who follow these forums.

For DSE I used 3 tests: https://youtu.be/zRGUkxrwdeU, https://youtu.be/Vs84_xCJPbc and https://youtu.be/12ZqE54jCqk
(set @ Normal, LD off, Smoothing off, Action Clarity off).

To my eyes, I saw no perceivable DSE. A possible contributing factor: I took care that the TCL stayed vertical throughout delivery, unboxing & installation (i.e. it was never laid down) and that the screen was never touched. Experts please weigh in here… My concern was potential fatigue on the precision alignment of the 8-megapixel LCD matrix, the multiple filter and support layers around it, and the hundreds of LEDs behind it. In spite of the manufacturer’s instructions to the contrary, it just seemed prudent to keep the set upright like it was shipped.

There was no way I could do an apples-to-apples motion comparison to our plasma. So, the following comments are more subjective than objective. Last weekend I watched some PGA golf for a plasma-TCL comparison. This seemed a good way to track a pure white golf ball across background of people, landscape, sky, fairway and green. Feed to the plasma (8 yr. old Panasonic 50”) was a Tivo Bolt on Spectrum at 1080. The TCL used the Spectrum app. Looking at first shots off the tee of two different golfers on the same hole, the plasma appeared quite fluid in tracking the ball. The ball appeared crisper on the TCL, but with a barely detectable 24 fps film like cadence to it. Also, plasma ABL was prominent. I am fortunate to be less sensitive to motion stutter, so am not a good judge of issues.
js950 likes this.

Last edited by CYBRCH; 06-24-2019 at 12:57 PM.
post #445 of 735 Old 06-25-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
https://youtu.be/zP-TNPw5tuk

Digital Trends video review.
post #446 of 735 Old 06-25-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymac8888 View Post

I was just watching this a few minutes ago. I'm pleased with the review and I think they are truly surprised at the performance to cost ratio. Even if you are not interested in a TCL TV, this is good news for everyone. The fact that a company that size can offer a TV this good at a great value means the bigger names can't always rely on their name recognition to command a premium. Unless the more sensible side of my brain can talk me out of spending the money, I will likely get one of these by the weekend.
post #447 of 735 Old 06-25-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2084 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymac8888 View Post

Pretty much mirrors the 6 Series reviews for the smaller sizes. At the street pricing that its available at these days, its an especially good buy.
post #448 of 735 Old 06-25-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
I was just watching this a few minutes ago. I'm pleased with the review and I think they are truly surprised at the performance to cost ratio. Even if you are not interested in a TCL TV, this is good news for everyone. The fact that a company that size can offer a TV this good at a great value means the bigger names can't always rely on their name recognition to command a premium. Unless the more sensible side of my brain can talk me out of spending the money, I will likely get one of these by the weekend.
I could not agree more. People are nuts if they aren't rooting for TCL, Vizio, and Hisense. It's nothing but good news for people. I would really like to see the 75 inch 6 series in a store.
post #449 of 735 Old 06-25-2019, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 238
nclee likes this.

77C8PUA ~ Media room
75XBR900F ~ Game room
55XBR900E ~ Bedroom
post #450 of 735 Old 06-25-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I could not agree more. People are nuts if they aren't rooting for TCL, Vizio, and Hisense. It's nothing but good news for people. I would really like to see the 75 inch 6 series in a store.
You will probably find it hidden in the back of Best Buy because they give the premium space to Samsung, Sony, LG, etc. I can't wait to have the sales boy try to talk me out of the TCL and tell me how crappy it is compared to this $4000 TV over here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page