2019 TCL 75R615 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #511 of 712 Old 07-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Thanks. Did you use MDF or plywood for the top? 3/4" thickness ?
I used half inch plywood. Plenty of stiffness for the 60 pounds I have on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 712 Old 07-07-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Thanks
post #513 of 712 Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gonif View Post
Hi folks, after a lot of research plus reading all the advice on this forum, I went to Best Buy today to look at and possibly buy a TCL 75R615. I have read that the salespeople have steered customers away from TCL, but it was somewhat shocking how bad it was.

It took about five minutes of wandering through TVs before I even found it, because unlike Sony, Samsung, and Vizio, the TCL had no special signage. Plus, it was the only TV in the store that wasn't powered on. I asked a sales guy if I could see it, and it took him at least 15 minutes to get it running; he had to get up on a lift to adjust something with the power cord, then he couldn't find a working remote. He opened up a universal remote and set it to TCL and also to Roku, but ultimately couldn't get it to work. Finally, he used manual controls to tune it to their in-store demo loop, or as he described it, "the worst possible quality input source".

The whole time he was working, he kept asking me why I wanted the TCL, and kept steering me toward a Sony or Samsung. He asked if I did my research on review sites, then told me that review sites always recommended TCL and Vizio but that Sony and Samsung were better TVs and had more bang for the buck. I pointed out that the TCL actually had more bang for the buck, then he thought about that and retracted that part. :-)

Once the low-quality demo video was playing, he pointed out a Sony and told me that it was the reference to which all other TVs should be compared. And the Sony did in fact have deeper colors than the TCL. But the Sony's colors looked super saturated to me, like unrealistically colored. I told him that it didn't seem a good comparison, because the Sony probably shipped with all the settings cranked up in Vivid mode, and he responded that all TVs shipped in Vivid mode. At this point, I was actually starting to waver a little with my decision, because despite knowing that the Sony was oversaturated and that neither TV was probably set to how it would be in a living room, the TCL colors looked pale by comparison and the picture didn't look very crisp. In fact, some of the icons on the Roku menu (Amazon Video, for one) looked blurry or pixelated, as if they themselves weren't 4K images.

He suggested that to stay within my budget I should drop to a 65" and get a Sony/Samsung. I took a look at the Samsung (I think series 8?) and of course it looked amazing, with its pristine 4K demo video playing two feet away from me at eye level. By comparison, the TCL was mounted about 8 feet off the ground, tilted slightly downward, playing what I think was an extended Best Buy commercial at less than OTA quality.

I asked him how Best Buy would handle things if there was a dark spot on the screen or a waffle pattern or something, and he seemed to have never heard of these types of defects or a panel lottery or anyone returning a TV for anything other than a dead pixel. He said that "they'll take care of you" but didn't fill me with any sense of peace or confidence that Best Buy would exchange the TV until I was happy.

I expressed my concern about having only a 15 day return/exchange window, and shared how my previous TV broke after three weeks, and that seemed to be a perfect springboard for a Best Buy extended warranty sales pitch. I was advised not to purchase the manufacturer's extended warranty but to get Best Buy's because it's better.

The whole reason I went to Best Buy in the first place was because I was on the fence about getting a TV from Amazon and felt that exchanges would be easier with a brick & mortar store one mile from my house. I was looking for a pleasant experience that would give me confidence in the store and would lead to a purchase on the spot, but instead I walked out thinking that Amazon is probably easier to deal with and that the peace of mind of a possible defective TV exchange is worth the extra $100 charged by Amazon -- not to mention the extra 15 day return window they give you. Plus, I still don't know what the TCL actually looks like with decent source video and if I should get it.

If anyone's read this far, what do you think? Would I be better served getting a 65" Samsung instead of the 75" TCL?

How is Amazon to deal with when you get a little picky about dark spots on the display or a DSE?

Thanks!

I'm not usually a proponent of extended warranties but if again cost $100 more how much is a warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 712 Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by clskinsfan View Post
I used half inch plywood. Plenty of stiffness for the 60 pounds I have on it.

Either yours or Jim McC's solution sounds a helluva lot better than either reversing the feet or buying an aftermarket pedestal stand. I was considering a pedestal for the 55/65" 6 series I want to buy for my bedroom, but a lot of the reviews claim that they are susceptible to problems unless you are buying a really pricey one. Which lol at some point, I would say I should just get another TV stand and be done with it. My bedroom TV stand has a lip in the front that is like 1/2" thick by about 2 inches deep, and behind that the stand is recessed. A 3/4" or even a 1" piece of plywood that extended out laterally on both sides to accommodate the legs of even the 65" would not be an eyesore at all.

I just think that cheap, aftermarket pedestals seem potentially dubious. And certainly reversing the feet legs to the opposite direction that the engineers who designed this set for maximum stability sounds like bad-medicine to me. I'm sure its fine, but with your solution, I would feel a lot safer.

ROFLMAO!!! Stupidest forum rule ever!

Quote:
Dear ChiroVette, You have received an infraction at AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews. Reason: General Warning - Price talk and retail links outside of the deal's area.
post #515 of 712 Old 07-09-2019, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anyone else having issues with the front power LED on the screen? Is the clear plastic thing on the bottom center of the screen or the front power button supposed to light up?

Side note: the Roku RC193 from Roku pairs seamlessly to this TV, and pushing the front button activates the remote finding feature!
post #516 of 712 Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have there been any updates on when the updated model(mini LED's) may come out ? Other than by the end of this year ?

Thanks.
post #517 of 712 Old 07-10-2019, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Have there been any updates on when the updated model(mini LED's) may come out ? Other than by the end of this year ?

Thanks.
Latest ETA is Sept

post #518 of 712 Old 07-10-2019, 04:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
Color slides will not show DSE very well. Color slides will show other defects like vertical banding and uneven color tinting. You need to play this youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs84_xCJPbc&t=69s) to evaluate DSE on your tv. I've owned my 6 series for awhile now and have followed this thread since the beginning of it. I have seen owners post way worse DSE pics/videos than yours. If you have to ask other owners if they see DSE because you don't know what to look for than you don't have bad DSE. Because bad DSE on a TV finds you.....

Try not worry about what other people think of the TCL panel lottery. All brands of tv's have issues and all of them have some sort of lottery when it comes to picture quality.

P.S.-Play the Modernwise DSE video at your own risk. What can be seen cannot be unseen.
Oh man, I just received my TV and ran the Modernwize video, and saw all these slightly darker splotches all over the screen! How "normal" or "acceptable" are these things? Does every TV have them and we just have to be tolerant of it, especially with such a large screen?

The TV came on a work day so I haven't had more than 10 minutes to play with it... threw on a few minutes of a movie streamed via Plex and I didn't notice the splotches while casually viewing. So there's that. :-)
post #519 of 712 Old 07-10-2019, 05:02 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Oh man, I just received my TV and ran the Modernwize video, and saw all these slightly darker splotches all over the screen! How "normal" or "acceptable" are these things? Does every TV have them and we just have to be tolerant of it, especially with such a large screen?

The TV came on a work day so I haven't had more than 10 minutes to play with it... threw on a few minutes of a movie streamed via Plex and I didn't notice the splotches while casually viewing. So there's that. :-)
The Modernwize video is a torture test. Do you see these splotches regularly when viewing your normal content? If you do see these splotches when viewing your normal content than that to me would be the non acceptable threshold. Every modern LCD tv has the potential of DSE no matter the screen size.

You said your first impressions on normal viewing was fine so that is a good sign. If you have a return period make sure you put the TV through its paces before times up to see if the pluses outweigh the minuses.
Panson likes this.
post #520 of 712 Old 07-10-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
The Modernwize video is a torture test. Do you see these splotches regularly when viewing your normal content? If you do see these splotches when viewing your normal content than that to me would be the non acceptable threshold. Every modern LCD tv has the potential of DSE no matter the screen size.

You said your first impressions on normal viewing was fine so that is a good sign. If you have a return period make sure you put the TV through its paces before times up to see if the pluses outweigh the minuses.
Agreed. Try watching some content with solid backgrounds like blue skies, golf courses, ice rinks to see if you see the irregular spots.
Panson likes this.
post #521 of 712 Old 07-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I received my 75R617 yesterday. Happy to say it looks great. Screen uniformity is good. Very very slight vignetting, and I don't see any DSE. I bought it from an authorized retailer suggested by the TCL website and didn't have any issues. The shipping box had a good size hole on the back side, but there wasn't any damage to the tv. It replaces a 70" Vizio M701D-A3 I've had for a few years now. The Vizio developed a very annoying dark splotch which I think is the result of a burned out LED in the backlight. Reflections seem to be handled a bit better by the TCL than the Vizio.

The TCL blows it away for picture quality. Super happy with this set. I don't have a 4k Bluray player yet, so all of the 4k and HDR content I've watched has been streamed from Youtube and other apps. I'm using the ARC via HDMI 3 input without issue with my older Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver.
aaronwt and sk373 like this.

Last edited by teachsac; 07-11-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Discussing rules and moderation
post #522 of 712 Old 07-13-2019, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hdmi cec

Is anyone using a Denon AVR with their TCL? Was wondering if volume control with the stock remote works through the CEC port.
post #523 of 712 Old 07-13-2019, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usccgdd View Post
Is anyone using a Denon AVR with their TCL? Was wondering if volume control with the stock remote works through the CEC port.
I can't speak to that feature working with Denons, but it works perfectly with my older Onkyo. I had to enable it on the TV and Receiver.
post #524 of 712 Old 07-15-2019, 02:59 PM

So far I haven't played with picture settings on my new 75R617, other than turning off motion smoothing and using the "Low Power" preset. What I've noticed is that when watching normal, non-4K Netflix, colors seem unnaturally colorful. Trees glow green, a red hat pops out of the screen, etc. When using the "Movie" preset, colors look more natural, but the picture is more blurry and dim.

I realize I can adjust settings to compensate, but I was curious if everyone's "Low Power" preset results in overly-saturated colors. I mean, I'd expect that from "Vivid" or "Sports", but I didn't expect it from that Low Power one for some reason.

As a related philosophical question, do most people prefer images on TV to look like real life? Or more than real life? I haven't played with HDR yet, but now I'm wondering if the whole point is to show these boosted color levels to make the picture really "pop".
post #525 of 712 Old 07-15-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by usccgdd View Post
It works with denon 3500h 👍🏻
post #526 of 712 Old 07-15-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As a related philosophical question, do most people prefer images on TV to look like real life? Or more than real life? I haven't played with HDR yet, but now I'm wondering if the whole point is to show these boosted color levels to make the picture really "pop".
Everyone has their own preference. Generally speaking the saturated colors with "pop" describes the Samsung style. While the more natural accurate look is Sony's style.

You'll get different opinions but most videophiles lean towards accuracy.
post #527 of 712 Old 07-15-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Everyone has their own preference. Generally speaking the saturated colors with "pop" describes the Samsung style. While the more natural accurate look is Sony's style.

You'll get different opinions but most videophiles lean towards accuracy.
Thanks for your reply! So then it's normal to alter settings on the presets? They're not sacred values established by people more knowledgeable than I? I always feel like if a TV ships with a setting, then that is the best setting as established by engineers and very expensive testing equipment, and to change it would be like my five year old changing the tint to purple because that's his favorite color.
post #528 of 712 Old 07-15-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply! So then it's normal to alter settings on the presets? They're not sacred values established by people more knowledgeable than I? I always feel like if a TV ships with a setting, then that is the best setting as established by engineers and very expensive testing equipment, and to change it would be like my five year old changing the tint to purple because that's his favorite color.
Not at all, its your TV to do what you want. The preset modes are just templates to give you a starting point, most TVs have recommended settings that tweak the presets. Try the Rtngs settings or search the thread to see what others are doing.
The Gonif and Hetfieldjames like this.
post #529 of 712 Old 07-15-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Not at all, its your TV to do what you want. The preset modes are just templates to give you a starting point, most TVs have recommended settings that tweak the presets. Try the Rtngs settings or search the thread to see what others are doing.
Agree with this, great advice.
post #530 of 712 Old 07-15-2019, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Are the 2019 TCL series 4 75” TVs worth having for the great price that Best Buy has it on for today? I have the TCL 65-R615 and love it primarily because of the damn remote with headphone jack. My hearing has deteriorated to the point that a combo of captions and an in ear plug is about the only way I can enjoy TV any more. Bluetooth isn’t loud enough and I lying down most of the time I watch tv.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #531 of 712 Old 07-15-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Are the 2019 TCL series 4 75” TVs worth having for the great price that Best Buy has it on for today? I have the TCL 65-R615 and love it primarily because of the damn remote with headphone jack. My hearing has deteriorated to the point that a combo of captions and an in ear plug is about the only way I can enjoy TV any more. Bluetooth isn’t loud enough and I lying down most of the time I watch tv.
It should be fine for casual viewing, or a great way to get a large TV for a low price. I believe that deal is no longer available though
post #532 of 712 Old 07-16-2019, 04:59 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9326 Post(s)
Liked: 6008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post
I can't speak to that feature working with Denons, but it works perfectly with my older Onkyo. I had to enable it on the TV and Receiver.
Yes. Works great with my Onkyo as well. Heck every TV I've owned since 2012 or so has worked great with the ARC. With any receiver or sound bar I've used.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB)

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #533 of 712 Old 07-16-2019, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It should be fine for casual viewing, or a great way to get a large TV for a low price. I believe that deal is no longer available though
I pulled the trigger on it wit the low price and the idea it would be a secondary TV. Can always return it. The headphone jack is really important to me and evidently others as I saw a tweet saying the same thing. Can’t believe other manufacturers haven’t picked up on this, especially Vizio who is a price range competitor with TCL

post #534 of 712 Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm a little confused as it relates to the width of the TV with the stand. The TCL website says the TV with stand is 66.1". The site also says that is the width of the TV without the stand. So do the legs (stand) go all the way to the edge of the TV? I have 66" total on the base of my Entertainment cabinet.

Should I be worried? I have the TV being delivered tomorrow.

Thanks,

Kevin
post #535 of 712 Old 07-17-2019, 08:28 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Roy View Post
I'm a little confused as it relates to the width of the TV with the stand. The TCL website says the TV with stand is 66.1". The site also says that is the width of the TV without the stand. So do the legs (stand) go all the way to the edge of the TV? I have 66" total on the base of my Entertainment cabinet.

Should I be worried? I have the TV being delivered tomorrow.

Thanks,

Kevin
The stand is the same width as the TV. You can reverse the legs of the stand in which case the span of the legs would be maybe 8-10” narrower than the screen. Assuming TCL’s specs are correct, each leg will just barely fit on your stand in the standard (feet out) position. But you will have no margin of error. The feet do have fairly grippy plastic bottoms, so if it’s in a location where it won’t get accidentally moved, you might be safe with the legs in standard position.

Pip
post #536 of 712 Old 07-17-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post
Can confirm it works with X1400H.
post #537 of 712 Old 07-18-2019, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
How satisfied would I be getting this TV instead of the Vizio PX? How big is the real world difference (not just test patterns and stats)? I know saving roughly $1k would be nice, lol! I'm coming from a 9 yr old 60" Sony, so pretty much anything is an upgrade.
post #538 of 712 Old 07-18-2019, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0426 View Post
Hi I see you state you have the 75 inch can you confirm it's 120hz native
Everywhere I read it is a 60hz panel
I went to best buy here in Phoenix to buy it the sales guy said it's a 60hz panel his boss came over said he bought one and it is 60 hz. So I didn't buy it yesterday only reason I didn't get it
But you state 120hz?
I just purchased (not received) a 75” TCL 4 series. Strangely enough, it’s not listed on Official TCL website. However, every TV listed in the 4 series is showing as “120 CMI effective refresh rate”-whatever the heck that means. I sure the 6 series I have has a true 120 refresh rate.

post #539 of 712 Old 07-19-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
I just purchased (not received) a 75” TCL 4 series. Strangely enough, it’s not listed on Official TCL website. However, every TV listed in the 4 series is showing as “120 CMI effective refresh rate”-whatever the heck that means. I sure the 6 series I have has a true 120 refresh rate.
No 6 series (even the newer 75") has a native 120 hz refresh rate. They do have the 120 CMI effective refresh rate but that is not native 120 hz. From what I understand the new 8 series that are coming out this fall will have 120 hz native panels.
aaronwt likes this.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
post #540 of 712 Old 07-19-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
From what I understand the new 8 series that are coming out this fall will have 120 hz native panels.
That's the TV I'm waiting for. The 75 incher !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page