2019 TCL 75R615 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 349Likes

post #721 of 813 Old 11-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenM37 View Post
This is exactly how to fix it, I've done this countless times while trying to adjust the brightness and picture settings.
Yea, me too. I’ve always restarted the Roku to get it off but what exactly do you mean by “main browsing screen“? Is that the home screen with each app icon?

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 813 Old 11-08-2019, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 134
How does this TV perform while using subtitles ? Is there blooming around the subtitles ?

Thanks.
post #723 of 813 Old 11-08-2019, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Yea, me too. I’ve always restarted the Roku to get it off but what exactly do you mean by “main browsing screen“? Is that the home screen with each app icon?
Hit the asterisk button on the remote while you are in the main screen in NETFLIX, while browsing for something to watch, not while a show is actually playing. There is no confirmation or audible sound, but it toggles the display information in the corner on and off. Roku/Netlifx needs to fix this, or at the very least put an indicator on the screen that it's been turned on/off.
mlgreen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 813 Old 11-08-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
How does this TV perform while using subtitles ? Is there blooming around the subtitles ?

Thanks.
I had this issue at first, but I changed some settings and it went away. It's been since May so I can't remember what I did, but at least I can confirm that you can get the blooming to go away.
post #725 of 813 Old 11-08-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had this issue at first, but I changed some settings and it went away. It's been since May so I can't remember what I did, but at least I can confirm that you can get the blooming to go away.
Thanks. But does making it go away mess up other parts of the image ?
post #726 of 813 Old 11-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 30
2019 TCL 75R615 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Apologies Need to delete post

Last edited by Saunupe19111; 11-09-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #727 of 813 Old 11-09-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks guys, suggestions worked to get rid of the info in the top corner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #728 of 813 Old 11-11-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks. But does making it go away mess up other parts of the image ?
No, it was part of the initial settings and HDR settings IIRC. Once I got it squared away, the picture is phenomenal. The blooming I remember well was on the Play icon on Netflix and the subtitles, both of which were removed once the settings were adjusted.
post #729 of 813 Old 11-11-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, it was part of the initial settings and HDR settings IIRC. Once I got it squared away, the picture is phenomenal. The blooming I remember well was on the Play icon on Netflix and the subtitles, both of which were removed once the settings were adjusted.
Thanks. How is the upscaling of DVDs and 720p/1080 programming from an antenna on this TV ?
post #730 of 813 Old 11-11-2019, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Hey guys,

I just picked up the 55" and dare i say its kind of comparable to my Sony 65A1E.

I'm a little confused about the following 3 settings:
-Motion Smoothing
-Natural Cinema
-LED motion clarity

I only use this TV in my bedroom for Netflix/Prime and gaming.
I've tried to research them, and i do find it confusing. What do most people put them on?

Edit - i do not watch sports -its 70% Netflix/prime streaming TV shows and 30% Xbox gaming.
I'm not sure if this matters but its a secondary bedroom TV, we would never watch a movie or anything with a lot of action -its typically a 22 minute comedy before bed.

Thank you

Sony 65 A1E/LG 55 C9
PSB Imagine X2T Towers / PSB C Centre
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
Dual SVS PB 1000's / 4 SVS Elevation Atmos
Marantz 7013

Last edited by Dustin Windsor; 11-11-2019 at 02:46 PM.
post #731 of 813 Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Where have you guys been buying this set from ? Have you purchased the extended warranty ?

Thanks.
post #732 of 813 Old 11-13-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Where have you guys been buying this set from ? Have you purchased the extended warranty ?

Thanks.
I got mine from Best Buy and I didn't purchase the warranty. It's relative to your budget though, wasn't justified for me when the TV is already cheap. Do note that the Amazon version is a different (better, ie bluetooth) remote, so if you can find that one for the same price or better, I'd recommend it.
post #733 of 813 Old 11-13-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. Bluetooth remote, meaning voice activated ?

How is the upscaling of this TV ? We will be watching DVD's occasionally and 720p and 1080i programming from our antenna.
post #734 of 813 Old 11-14-2019, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Windsor View Post
Hey guys,

I just picked up the 55" and dare i say its kind of comparable to my Sony 65A1E.

I'm a little confused about the following 3 settings:
-Motion Smoothing
-Natural Cinema
-LED motion clarity

I only use this TV in my bedroom for Netflix/Prime and gaming.
I've tried to research them, and i do find it confusing. What do most people put them on?

Edit - i do not watch sports -its 70% Netflix/prime streaming TV shows and 30% Xbox gaming.
I'm not sure if this matters but its a secondary bedroom TV, we would never watch a movie or anything with a lot of action -its typically a 22 minute comedy before bed.

Thank you

Motion smoothing is the soap opera effect, artificial frame insertion - motion interpolation. This is usually pretty poor on 60hz TV's. So I'd leave it off entirely.

Natural Cinema isn't motion interpolation, it makes 24p content judder free, like most movies. Slow panning shots will be smoother. I'd leave this on, as it improves natural motion and isn't artificial.

LED clarity is black frame insertion. So it adds a flicker to smooth out motion. It's not a soap opera effect, but more of a middle ground. Use this depending on content, but most people leave it off due to the flicker being too distracting. I kinda of like it in some cases.
post #735 of 813 Old 11-14-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone compared this set to the 75" Samsung Q6 from Costco ?

Thanks.

Last edited by Jim McC; 11-14-2019 at 04:12 PM.
post #736 of 813 Old 11-17-2019, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Has anyone compared this set to the 75" Samsung Q6 from Costco ?

Thanks.
The Samsung Q6 is edge lit so I stopped looking at it.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #737 of 813 Old 11-17-2019, 02:00 PM

Liked: 0
I had one and took it back 3 weeks later.. here is what that 75615 series did well.. contrast and their local dimming were quite good.. the color very accurate especially after doing the color calibration on the warm setting with the Roku App expert settings picture.. so those are the pros.

Now for the cons I am one of those people who are very sensitive to the whole lcd motion judder/flicker.. coming from owning a Panasonic 65 inch S1 plasma that did everything pretty much perfectly just lacked the fact of being 4k

The rcl 6 series is not good when it comes to motion handling, I noticed everything when it came to slightly fast action or a quick head movement and it just ruined it for me. Also the off angle viewing is bad but so are all lcd panels unless you get a model that incorporates the optical that helps.. the Samsung q80 and q90 do this very well.

I also game and the game mode made the input lag acceptable and it looked pretty good on the tcl but if it incorporated free sync it would have been much better..

The tcl 6 series is a great tv.. and will be fine for most people but not me.. not for my main living room tv.. the fact that the native refresh rate is only 60hz, I confirmed this with tcl.. is a shame it should have been 120hz and I might have kept it. To my wife and kids they noticed no issues.

Now tcl will change the game with the 8 series, with the 1100 local dimming zones and quantum color, this will for the big 3 to have to lower their pricing..

Hope this helps..
post #738 of 813 Old 11-17-2019, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Zeno View Post
I had one and took it back 3 weeks later.. here is what that 75615 series did well.. contrast and their local dimming were quite good.. the color very accurate especially after doing the color calibration on the warm setting with the Roku App expert settings picture.. so those are the pros.

Now for the cons I am one of those people who are very sensitive to the whole lcd motion judder/flicker.. coming from owning a Panasonic 65 inch S1 plasma that did everything pretty much perfectly just lacked the fact of being 4k

The rcl 6 series is not good when it comes to motion handling, I noticed everything when it came to slightly fast action or a quick head movement and it just ruined it for me. Also the off angle viewing is bad but so are all lcd panels unless you get a model that incorporates the optical that helps.. the Samsung q80 and q90 do this very well.

I also game and the game mode made the input lag acceptable and it looked pretty good on the tcl but if it incorporated free sync it would have been much better..

The tcl 6 series is a great tv.. and will be fine for most people but not me.. not for my main living room tv.. the fact that the native refresh rate is only 60hz, I confirmed this with tcl.. is a shame it should have been 120hz and I might have kept it. To my wife and kids they noticed no issues.

Now tcl will change the game with the 8 series, with the 1100 local dimming zones and quantum color, this will for the big 3 to have to lower their pricing..

Hope this helps..
How did you do your color calibration?

I have a 75R615 and the TCL iPQ Engine Mobile Calibration App on Play Store says "Coming Soon".
post #739 of 813 Old 11-18-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Does any one have their 75 TCLR615 hardwired to their router/modem via the ethernet plug on the back? Every time I tried hardwiring it this weekend I received an error message reading:

UNABLE TO DETECT ETHERNET
Verify that your Ethernet cable is securely connected to your TV and router.
For more help, visit: tclusa.com/support

- Check connection again
- Restart your device
- OK

Error code: 012

I tried 3 different cables and I know my cables and ethernet jack both work because when I plugged them in to my PS4, which sits right below the TV, everything worked just fine. I tried restarting the TCL, I tried erasing the wireless Wi-Fi information, and still got the same message. When it starts to try detecting the ethernet cable signal it just wouldn't detect it - a red X would show up.

I'm starting to think the ethernet port on the TCL is faulty...Do you guys have any suggestions to correct the issue?
post #740 of 813 Old 11-18-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 485
I'm buying a 75R615 from Best Buy for my Son/Wife/Kids. They however live over 600 miles from me. Their house has high ceilings and I would say medium bright during the day with no direct sunlight on the TV. I checked the first post of this thread in an attempt to find general picture settings for SDR but could not find any there. In searching the internet I couldn't find much. The one place I did find has the following settings.. Are there any changes that you guys would recommend to them?

TV Brightness - Bright
Picture Mode - Normal
Picture Size - Auto
Local Contrast - High
Dynamic Contrast- Off
Backlight - 60
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 100
Sharp - 40
Color - 50
Tint - 50
Color Temp - Warm

Any Suggestions would be appreciated!!
Thanks, Gerry

Sony XBR 77A9G - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - 2019 Shield TV Pro - 2019 Roku Ultra
post #741 of 813 Old 11-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBRCH View Post
How did you do your color calibration?

I have a 75R615 and the TCL iPQ Engine Mobile Calibration App on Play Store says "Coming Soon".
I did some digging around and it looks like they may have pushed this into the Roku app now.
post #742 of 813 Old 11-18-2019, 03:04 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9645 Post(s)
Liked: 6332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Rican View Post
Does any one have their 75 TCLR615 hardwired to their router/modem via the ethernet plug on the back? Every time I tried hardwiring it this weekend I received an error message reading:

UNABLE TO DETECT ETHERNET
Verify that your Ethernet cable is securely connected to your TV and router.
For more help, visit: tclusa.com/support

- Check connection again
- Restart your device
- OK

Error code: 012

I tried 3 different cables and I know my cables and ethernet jack both work because when I plugged them in to my PS4, which sits right below the TV, everything worked just fine. I tried restarting the TCL, I tried erasing the wireless Wi-Fi information, and still got the same message. When it starts to try detecting the ethernet cable signal it just wouldn't detect it - a red X would show up.

I'm starting to think the ethernet port on the TCL is faulty...Do you guys have any suggestions to correct the issue?
Try using a flashlight to look at the pins on the ethernet port. Make sure nothing is damaged.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #743 of 813 Old 11-19-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Try using a flashlight to look at the pins on the ethernet port. Make sure nothing is damaged.
So I did. I used a flashlight to look in there and all the connectors look fine. I also used a can of compressed air to blow away any dust. I also stood there moving my ethernet cable, up, down, left ,right hoping to see if the connectors would line up, but all this to no avail. I even did a factory reset - no fun! since I had to log in to all my apps again.

After all this I can only figure that the ethernet port on the back of the TV is dead

I've contacted TLC support - we will see how this goes. Coincidentally doing all this work on the TV presented some seriously odd behavior from the set. For about half an hour I thought I had lost my TV entirely. The set was on but the screen was completely blank. Using the remote to navigate to the 'antenna' input (3 clicks right on mine since I was navigating blindly) would show the channel in a tiny-er than normal box with nothing else on the screen, same with my PS4 input slot, it would show a tiny square with the PS4 signal on it. I could access both inputs to full screen by clicking OK on remote, but once I hit the 'home' button it would return to a completely blank screen. I had to unplug the set for a while in order for it to come back to normal.

Today's TVs (well everything really) have so many things that can go wrong that they will never outlast the TVs I grew up watching back in the 80's.
post #744 of 813 Old 11-20-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
So I did. I used a flashlight to look in there and all the connectors look fine. I also used a can of compressed air to blow away any dust. I also stood there moving my ethernet cable, up, down, left ,right hoping to see if the connectors would line up, but all this to no avail. I even did a factory reset - no fun! since I had to log in to all my apps again.

After all this I can only figure that the ethernet port on the back of the TV is dead

I've contacted TLC support - we will see how this goes. Coincidentally doing all this work on the TV presented some seriously odd behavior from the set. For about half an hour I thought I had lost my TV entirely. The set was on but the screen was completely blank. Using the remote to navigate to the 'antenna' input (3 clicks right on mine since I was navigating blindly) would show the channel in a tiny-er than normal box with nothing else on the screen, same with my PS4 input slot, it would show a tiny square with the PS4 signal on it. I could access both inputs to full screen by clicking OK on remote, but once I hit the 'home' button it would return to a completely blank screen. I had to unplug the set for a while in order for it to come back to normal.

Today's TVs (well everything really) have so many things that can go wrong that they will never outlast the TVs I grew up watching back in the 80's.
I feel dumb. So I changed the ethernet cable from port 1 on the back of my modem/router to port 2 as suggested by one of 25 other suggestions by TCL Support and voilá - The TV is now hardwired!! However, every time I do the 'Connection check' it comes back with 89 Mbps which is better than my initial 28 Mbps on Wi-Fi, BUT since I have ATT Fiber (1000 Mbps) I was hoping for a much faster wired connection speed.

By the way I can thank Disney+ and their catalog of 4K, HDR 5.1/Atmos content which they recommend a 25 Mbps speed at a minimum, for viewing. Streaming some of their content put my wireless connection to the test. So much so I decided to go hard-wired.
post #745 of 813 Old 11-21-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I'm buying a 75R615 from Best Buy for my Son/Wife/Kids. They however live over 600 miles from me. Their house has high ceilings and I would say medium bright during the day with no direct sunlight on the TV. I checked the first post of this thread in an attempt to find general picture settings for SDR but could not find any there. In searching the internet I couldn't find much. The one place I did find has the following settings.. Are there any changes that you guys would recommend to them?

TV Brightness - Bright
Picture Mode - Normal
Picture Size - Auto
Local Contrast - High
Dynamic Contrast- Off
Backlight - 60
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 100
Sharp - 40
Color - 50
Tint - 50
Color Temp - Warm

Any Suggestions would be appreciated!!
Thanks, Gerry
Is there anyone here who owns the 75R615/7 that can provide some guidance here?
Gerry

Sony XBR 77A9G - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - 2019 Shield TV Pro - 2019 Roku Ultra
post #746 of 813 Old 11-22-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Is there anyone here who owns the 75R615/7 that can provide some guidance here?

Gerry
Gerry. I have a 75 and those are settings I use to a t except my brightness isn't that high. Everything else is where I have it. It really does have a good pq. I'm sure they will be more than happy in pq and size

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #747 of 813 Old 11-22-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

I have a 55” hardwired that went wonky. Turns out that the TV simply couldn’t reconnect after a router DNS/modem hiccup. TV was essentially looking for old settings that weren’t there. Disconnecting and resetting both router and modem brought everything back in line on that end and I reset connection on TCL. Haven’t had the problem again since, and that was about 7 months ago.

Good luck and hope it’s a quick fix rather than a damaged port or other part.
post #748 of 813 Old 11-23-2019, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I ordered the TCL 75R615 a couple of weeks back and just received it this past Monday. Let me preface that this is my first 4K TV purchase. I am coming from a lower tier 1080P Samsung offering from 4 years ago. That TV had served me very well but I was ready for an upgrade.

I always research electronics to death before making major purchases. I read forums, professional reviews and cruise YouTube looking for all the information I can before pulling the trigger. Of all the major brands out there, and with all the current deals, the narrowing down process was very difficult. Every set I looked into had their pros and cons. No TV is perfect. I am a movie buff and have a decent collection of Blu-ray discs with some 4K UHD discs. My wife and I love to stream as well. We don't tend to watch huge amounts of cable but I am a huge football (NFL) fan. The Xbox One S gets a good amount of milage as well. So our viewing is diverse and we wanted a set to be able to fit all these needs.

The top of my list was wanting a FALD set. My previous set was edge lit. It wasn't a bad set by no means, but all of my research had me wanting FALD technology. OLED was out of my budget and being a gamer, burn in is too great a risk for that cost. The one brand that kept showing up on most "Best Of" lists was the TCL 6 series. Initially, I had not even considered this set as a contender due to most professional reviewers referencing it as a "budget" TV. Budget, in the electronics world, doesn't always necessarily have a positive connotation so I continued my search. Of all the other major brands, there were constant issues in either one shape or another, but no significant issues with the TCL that I could find. So I focused my research on the TCL 6 series. There was some very positive feedback regarding the 6 series and at the given price point, I decided to take the plunge.

I got notification that my TV arrived first thing Monday morning. I wasn't able to pick it up until my wife got off work at the end of the day. Waiting sucks! After waiting all day, we got the set home and began unboxing. The set was packaged very well. Kudos to TCL! It made me feel like my set was going to be just fine before I even finished unpacking everything. Sure enough, the TV was without a blemish. To be clear, this set does NOT look like anything budget. Following some adjustments of my existing wall mount (my previous TV was a 75") the TV was mounted and we were powering up. as a sidetone, I have read some complaints about this TV being thick, but on the wall, it is not noticeable from our seating position. The setup was quite easy. Anybody, literally, could navigate through these menus and be up and running in minutes. Following some software updates, and channel setup, it was showtime. The Roku platform is not foreign to neither my wife nor me. It is very intuitive and fast! More Kudos to TCL!

I do have to admit that the included remote is a piece of junk and feels very cheap. I did all of my setup with the included remote. It wasn't until I had everything set up that I downloaded the Roku app to my iPhone. I highly recommend to everyone to do this before you even get this TV. To me, it's easier to use and you don't need direct line of sight to the TV to use this method. It is extremely responsive and has some extras that you will not be able to access with the included remote. Again, please download the Roku app.

So here are a few things I would like to highlight below regarding my experiences with my TCL 75R615 after the first 5 days:

1) The picture quality is outstanding! 4K content is unbelievable! I am loving DV and HDR content. That's what we all want from a TV right? It took me some playing around with the settings, but this TV has got some chops!

2) I have not noticed any blooming whatsoever and no DSE or jailers as reported in some other brand name FALD sets. I watch my TV with the content I use daily. I don't have any test pattern discs, nor do I go to YouTube trying to find faults in my set. These aren't in my usual categories of watching material and I don't want to find anything I won't be able to unsee.

3) Cable is actually watchable. I was nervous to watch Thursday Night Football, but it was actually better than I had expected.

4) Blacks are black. I haven't particularly noticed any black crushing with the content I have viewed so far.

5) There is no kind of light bleed or dark corners. Uniformity is very good!

6) Motion handing is actually very good. On all TV's I've had in the past, I would disable motion handling. I prefer to leave Action Clarity on high and Action Smoothing on low to medium depending on content.

7)The Roku app. This was the game changer for me. On the primary screen, in the lower right corner is a tab "More." Under this tab, you can select "Expert Picture Settings." It was here that I disabled "Noise Reduction" and adjusted "Gamma" to my particular liking. I felt like the picture quality improved a great deal following these 2 adjustments.

8) I prefer to watch non DV/HDR content in "Low Power" mode. I don't know why, but it is very pleasing to me while retaining good definition.

9) I can't comment on the sound abilities as I use a surround sound system.

These are some of the immediate thoughts I felt would be helpful to share as these are most of the concerns I read about regarding TV performances.

In closing, I can't stress enough about how pleased I am with this TV. I feel like the only "budget" attribute this TV has, besides the remote, is its price. Seriously, at this price point, this set is a steal! Have you eve made a purchase hoping that you'd be pleased with its performance? Well I can admit that I got much more than I could have ever anticipated. So much so that I've been losing more sleep My initial thought about buying this TV was, 'If it's not all it was built up to be, then I'll just return it." I am very happy to say that this beast will be staying on my wall. I am hoping that this review will help any prospective buyers out there on the fence like I was. Cheers to you all and happy viewing!
aaronwt and sk373 like this.

Paradigm Prestige 95F Fronts, Paradigm Prestige 55C Center, Paradigm Prestige 25S Surrounds/Rear Surrounds, Klipsch RP-500SA Front Heights, Power Sound Audio S3611 Subwoofer, Anthem MRX-1120, Oppo BDP 103 Universal Blu Ray Player, Xbox 360, Xbox One S, Apple TV 4K, TCL 75R615 Roku TV
post #749 of 813 Old 11-23-2019, 08:08 AM

Fellas I downloaded the TCL IPQ Calibration app last night and calibrated my TV. The results are outstanding. My reds and greens are perfect now as they always were a little off after I previously entered CNET's settings

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
aaronwt likes this.
post #750 of 813 Old 11-23-2019, 08:09 AM

More results

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
aaronwt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement