2019 TCL 75R615 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #211 of 712 Old 04-01-2019, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0426 View Post
hi

(FRC) frame rate control is a method for achieving higher color quality in low color resolution display panels if that helps means it is not a true 10 bit.
Thank you very much, and is that a cause for concern against a display that is true 10 bit?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 712 Old 04-01-2019, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post
Would any of you owners please comment on how well the 75 up-scales?

While I am buying new movies in at least Blu-ray, I still have an extensive DVD library that I am not going to spend the money on replacing. As far as games, I'm sure the PS4 will look fine, but we also like to break out the legacy video game consoles once in a while, and some of those only have composite outputs. Same with 4k internet, but how well do regular cell phone YouTube videos look. And what about cable or satellite?

BB always has a 4k demo on and I can never get the salesman to show me anything else, but in real life 90% of our viewing is not 4k, so this is important IMO.

Thanks,
We don't watch DVDs in my house so much anymore. But I went and dug one out to check for you. I am playing The Patriot via my Oppo 203 and it looks pretty damn good. 1080p Blu-rays look excellent, and as should be expected 4K Blu-ray is outstanding. We watched Aqua Man the other day. Although I thought it may have been one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I also thought it was one of the best looking I have ever seen.
Spidergames likes this.
post #213 of 712 Old 04-01-2019, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is it safe to assume the recommended tv settings for the 55 and 65 inch versions will be good for the 75"? Are you guys using the rtings settings or your own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 712 Old 04-01-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Moonman View Post
Is it safe to assume the recommended tv settings for the 55 and 65 inch versions will be good for the 75"? Are you guys using the rtings settings or your own?
Should be a good start. I’m using rtings and cnet combination, plus action smoothing on low for cable/streaming. Try and see what u like. I didn’t change expert settings at all.
post #215 of 712 Old 04-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Would any of you owners please comment on how well the 75 up-scales?

While I am buying new movies in at least Blu-ray, I still have an extensive DVD library that I am not going to spend the money on replacing. As far as games, I'm sure the PS4 will look fine, but we also like to break out the legacy video game consoles once in a while, and some of those only have composite outputs. Same with 4k internet, but how well do regular cell phone YouTube videos look. And what about cable or satellite?

BB always has a 4k demo on and I can never get the salesman to show me anything else, but in real life 90% of our viewing is not 4k, so this is important IMO.

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post
We don't watch DVDs in my house so much anymore. But I went and dug one out to check for you. I am playing The Patriot via my Oppo 203 and it looks pretty damn good. 1080p Blu-rays look excellent, and as should be expected 4K Blu-ray is outstanding. We watched Aqua Man the other day. Although I thought it may have been one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I also thought it was one of the best looking I have ever seen.

Thank you very much for going to the trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice_01 View Post
Should be a good start. I’m using rtings and cnet combination, plus action smoothing on low for cable/streaming. Try and see what u like. I didn’t change expert settings at all.

May I get your opinion on how well it's up-scaling the cable/streaming you mentioned?

Thank you,
post #216 of 712 Old 04-01-2019, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thank you very much for going to the trouble!

May I get your opinion on how well it's up-scaling the cable/streaming you mentioned?

Thank you,
Streaming looks very well, especially in hdr and dolby vision. The upconverted content from netflix/amazon prime looks quite well, much better that cable tv. Cable looks ok, some channels seem to look better that others, my cable company is comcast. Local tv stations seem to look better to my eyes as do premium channels. To me 75" tcl looks about the same (sharpness) as some budget 75" samsung (edge lit) we have at work which I know was one of the cheaper 75 in tv at costco about one year ago. Obviously tcl has better black/shadow detail. I’ve had tcl for about 10 days and very hapy with it. I came from 7y/o sony tv which at the time was second most expensive tv in their line up, but it was small and and edge lit. Hopefully tcl survives past it’s warranty time .
post #217 of 712 Old 04-01-2019, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Hi everyone

So im on my second tcl 75 first one had motion problems and started shutting itself off returned it now the second one i am still seeing this stutter judder thing its every channel every input every source im not a sensitive type person normally i buy a tv and watch it for 5 years i just sold my 75 in 6 year old samsung im regretting it now i wanted 4k didnt see this issue on it and i dont see it on my 55 inch tcl r6 . ive tried every setting on the tv that iexists and internet tweaks etc i only stream i have gig svc and get over 100 meg down on my devices so i dont know if its me or these tvs are underpowered processor or what is anyone else having motion issues i have 4 days left to return i dont really want to spend another 1200 bucks for a sony or samsung 120hz model to find out motion is still an issue im really wanting to love this tv my 55 is fine. frustrated at this point ive never had these issues with any tv usually just buy them and watch them its been an awful 8 days not been able to enjoy the tvs at all been non stop messing with them im not ocd either. any thoughts thanks.
I notice that with led motion clarity on it gave me motion issues not sure if you made sure that is off.
post #218 of 712 Old 04-02-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Yes all 120hz native panels will.accept 120hz signal I have a 5 year old Samsung 75 inch tv 120native it accepts 120hz signal. 120hz cmi and true motion all that are.still 60hz panels I love my samsung but it's not 4k I understand 60hz from tcl to keep cost down but vizio did 120hz native 75inch put at Sam's club right now 1600.00 i just dont like vizio i will probably wait till all.2019 TVs are out in a few montha
Not entirely true. The input buffer and the processing engine also have to accept 120Hz. This was the case of the latest Epson 4K eShift projectors because people were asking about 4:4:4 support. The Epsons couldn't handle it because it had lower bandwidth input buffer (13Mhz vs 18Mhz) even though the display panel and engine were capable of it. (Yes I know color format does not coincide with display capabilities, but it remains true the entire chain has to support 120Hz which is a lot of processing. There's a reason you don't see many 4K 120Hz computer monitors.)

That said, I understand the panel used here is not VA like the 45 and 55 6 Series. But I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.

Last edited by DigitalGriffin; 04-02-2019 at 10:25 AM.
post #219 of 712 Old 04-02-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah that card should output 120hz no problem if you tried to force 120hz 1080p probably a 60hz panel figured it probably was however just to throw it in there not all TVs will accept an external 120hz source and be 120hz. Tcl website states 120hz cmi that alone tells me it's 60hz native I may pick one up anyways all the other choices are so expensive Sony Samsung I can't see spending g 3500 dollars on a TV I can get this TV and a nice 144 hz monitor and still be under 2500 I have the 55 I love it.

As far as the black splotches if they aren't smudges on the screen they may be bad LEDs I would probably exchange it I personally can put up with flaws but not spots or dead pixels my eyes are drawn to those. Unfortunately we all play the panel lottery with TVs it can be frustrating thanks for the update.

CMI is often achieved by pulsing the backlight multiple times. While this is great for sports it can have undesirable effects of lowing brightness. So it looks like 120Hz, but it's not. It's just 60 flashed twice. With motion interpolation engaged the LCD subpixels are in a state of transition which may look like blur. So the strobe backlight flash addresses that. Things that are strobed appear "fixed or unchanging" in human eyes, hence why it appears "sharper"

The 24fps film does the same thing to help with the motion where it flashes each film frame twice.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
post #220 of 712 Old 04-02-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Thank you very much, and is that a cause for concern against a display that is true 10 bit?

It causes noise when using a computer signal to drive the screen. How the display treats computer connections versus something like a HDR UHD BluRay is entirely different based on the meta data.

post #221 of 712 Old 04-02-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay now that I answered some questions

Maybe you guys can answer some of mine:

Does anyone have the distance from the BOTTOM VESA mount holes to the bottom of the Screen? I want to make sure it will clear my center channel speaker.

Last edited by DigitalGriffin; 04-02-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #222 of 712 Old 04-02-2019, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMLewis View Post
Mine's mounted, so it's tough to get a perfect measurement - but it's right in the 5.5" - 6" range from the bottom hole to the bottom of the TV.
I actually answered that one a couple pages back in the thread. Quoted here for convenience.

Video: TCL 75R615 TV, LG UBK90 UHD BR Player, Tivo Roamio OTA 1TB
Audio: Onkyo TX-SR805 Silver (Still going strong!), Rega RP1 w/Performance Pack Turntable, Vincent PHO 8 Phono Stage, Logitech Squeezebox Touch
post #223 of 712 Old 04-02-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post
It causes noise when using a computer signal to drive the screen. How the display treats computer connections versus something like a HDR UHD BluRay is entirely different based on the meta data.
I was told not to worry about the 8 bit+FRC because it's just as good as real 10 bit displays. 60Hz is another story though. That could cause issues I guess or at least I was told.

post #224 of 712 Old 04-02-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Mine's mounted, so it's tough to get a perfect measurement - but it's right in the 5.5" - 6" range from the bottom hole to the bottom of the TV.
I actually answered that one a couple pages back in the thread. Quoted here for convenience.
Thanks. I must have missed that post. I appreciate the information.

post #225 of 712 Old 04-03-2019, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I was told not to worry about the 8 bit+FRC because it's just as good as real 10 bit displays. 60Hz is another story though. That could cause issues I guess or at least I was told.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what...-60hz-vs-120hz
post #226 of 712 Old 04-05-2019, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post
Thanks. I must have missed that post. I appreciate the information.
I have pics posted a few pages back which might help you also.
post #227 of 712 Old 04-05-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Man I'd love to replace my 2016 Vizio M70 with this 75. We have the 55r615 in MBR and it looks fantastic. But I'm thinking I can get another year out of the Vizio and see what TCL releases later this year. The Vizio still looks great but yeah the TCL 55r615 has a better pic for sure. For those with the 75 can you invert the legs? My stand right now the Vizio is right at the edge. tia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett523 View Post
I second this question! I am ready to pull the trigger on the $1499 sale but my current samsung mu8000 is right at the edge of my stand and I need another 2.5" according to the 62.3 dimensions TCL gave me between the legs. Can the feet be inverted like RTINGs and others have showed on the other models?
Quote:
With the 55 and 65, both are able to invert the legs. i have read nothing that says the 75 is different.
Has anyone been able to check this on their 75" 6 series to see if the legs can be inverted? My current stand is about 58" wide and I would have to invert the legs for it to fit and I would rather try to find out prior to buying which will probably be tomorrow as I believe the last day for the $1,500 price is 4.6.19.

TIA

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
post #228 of 712 Old 04-05-2019, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
Has anyone been able to check this on their 75" 6 series to see if the legs can be inverted? My current stand is about 58" wide and I would have to invert the legs for it to fit and I would rather try to find out prior to buying which will probably be tomorrow as I believe the last day for the $1,500 price is 4.6.19.

TIA
There are two people that have posted on the BB website that they have done it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questio...6b?theme=stand
Smigro likes this.
post #229 of 712 Old 04-05-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are two people that have posted on the BB website that they have done it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questio...6b?theme=stand
Thank you so much, didn't even think to look there.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

post #230 of 712 Old 04-05-2019, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
The legs can be inverted. I did it and it works no problem.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
rockaway1836 and wmarkw like this.
post #231 of 712 Old 04-08-2019, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I went out this past Saturday and figured I would grab myself a TCL 75" 6 series before the $1,500 sale price ended. I got it all setup on Sunday afternoon which was pretty easy and got right to testing it out. I must say coming from being a Panasonic plasma owner since 2010 my main concern was black levels and secondary concerns were motion artifacts and viewing angles although the latter is the least concern since this is in my theater room which has one couch centered on the TV.

So I started off finishing some of the Phillies game, followed by a little Forza Horizon 4, then on to some Formula 1: Drive to Survive on Netflix and I ended the night with Everest 4K. I have to say so far that even with limited time with the TV my fears were mostly unwarranted. Watching regular content the black levels pretty close to what my Panny ST50 and ST60 produce and the motion while a little noticeable isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had a really good time with the TV yesterday and all I can say is that Everest in 4K on a 75" set with Atmos what quite the experience.

Spoiler!

Now onto what may be the bad of the TV and I say may because it has been since 2008 that I bought and owned a LCD TV so I am not sure if this is normal. It appears that while most have good panels I may have lost the "panel lottery" on this particular set and in the pics below you can see that black screen uniformity seems pretty bad. Now what is weird is that in the pics below it looks pretty widespread but when watching content it does not look that bad. The main problem spot if the right hand side of the screen. When watching 2.35 letterbox content the black bars on the left side of the screen are nice and dark but on the right hand side of the screen (probably about a 1/4 of the screen) in some scenes looks gray so not sure if there is an issue with some of the FALD zones.

Spoiler!

So all in all I am really happy with the set and if I wasn't slightly OCD I would probably just keep the TV and not worry about the black level issue on the right hand side but alas I want the best set I can so I am going to setup an exchange on this one and hope that I can get myself a close to perfect panel. I will have to say that for $1,500 (and even the $1,600 price point) is really good for this TV and to me definitely seems to have the PQ of a TV that 2-3 times it's price. As much as I wanted to go OLED being a plasma owner, with 4K I had to go 75" which put OLED out of reach for me but I think this will hold me over until some newer tech drops in the coming years.
dad1153 and Hetfieldjames like this.

Ed

Last edited by Smigro; 04-09-2019 at 04:45 AM. Reason: spoilers
post #232 of 712 Old 04-08-2019, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I went out this past Saturday and figured I would grab myself a TCL 75" 6 series before the $1,500 sale price ended. I got it all setup on Sunday afternoon which was pretty easy and got right to testing it out. I must say coming from being a Panasonic plasma owner since 2010 my main concern was black levels and secondary concerns were motion artifacts and viewing angles although the latter is the least concern since this is in my theater room which has one couch centered on the TV.

So I started off finishing some of the Phillies game, followed by a little Forza Horizon 4, then on to some Formula 1: Drive to Survive on Netflix and I ended the night with Everest 4K. I have to say so far that even with limited time with the TV my fears were mostly unwarranted. Watching regular content the black levels pretty close to what my Panny ST50 and ST60 produce and the motion while a little noticeable isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had a really good time with the TV yesterday and all I can say is that Everest in 4K on a 75" set with Atmos what quite the experience.

Spoiler!

Now onto what may be the bad of the TV and I say may because it has been since 2008 that I bought and owned a LCD TV so I am not sure if this is normal. It appears that while most have good panels I may have lost the "panel lottery" on this particular set and in the pics below you can see that black screen uniformity seems pretty bad. Now what is weird is that in the pics below it looks pretty widespread but when watching content it does not look that bad. The main problem spot if the right hand side of the screen. When watching 2.35 letterbox content the black bars on the left side of the screen are nice and dark but on the right hand side of the screen (probably about a 1/4 of the screen) in some scenes looks gray so not sure if there is an issue with some of the FALD zones.

Spoiler!

So all in all I am really happy with the set and if I wasn't slightly OCD I would probably just keep the TV and not worry about the black level issue on the right hand side but alas I want the best set I can so I am going to setup an exchange on this one and hope that I can get myself a close to perfect panel.
Very well balanced review, thank you.

Smigro likes this.
post #233 of 712 Old 04-08-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 240
@Smigro nice review. Maybe try massaging the display with a micro fiber cloth. Might help with the clouding.
Smigro likes this.
post #234 of 712 Old 04-08-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
@Smigro nice review. Maybe try massaging the display with a micro fiber cloth. Might help with the clouding.
I saw someone mention that in the 65" 6 series thread and I will give that a go tonight when I get home to see what happens. I will say that after I got it set up the first thing I did was wipe it down with a wet dusting rag and dried it with a soft towel (not microfiber though) so the screen has been "messaged" in a way...just not with a microfiber cloth. I will post back with the results.

Ed

post #235 of 712 Old 04-08-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll be joining you guys officially this Friday as the 75R617 arrives. I'll be chanting the entire time "Please don't drop it. Please don't drop it."

I'll let you know my impressions.
Smigro and sk373 like this.

Last edited by DigitalGriffin; 04-08-2019 at 10:15 AM.
post #236 of 712 Old 04-08-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

So all in all I am really happy with the set and if I wasn't slightly OCD I would probably just keep the TV and not worry about the black level issue on the right hand side but alas I want the best set I can so I am going to setup an exchange on this one and hope that I can get myself a close to perfect panel. I will have to say that for $1,500 (and even the $1,600 price point) is really good for this TV and to me definitely seems to have the PQ of a TV that 2-3 times it's price. As much as I wanted to go OLED being a plasma owner, with 4K I had to go 75" which put OLED out of reach for me but I think this will hold me over until some newer tech drops in the coming years.

Letterbox bars going gray is a part of blooming normally associated with local dimmimng and I don't think your can completely escape it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
post #237 of 712 Old 04-09-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
Letterbox bars going gray is a part of blooming normally associated with local dimmimng and I don't think your can completely escape it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I do agree I will still mention that on the left side of my screen the letterbox bars pretty much stay black during non fullscreen material whereas just the right side of the screen gets the grey letterbox bars so I still believe there is an issue with the panel itself. Since I did realize last night at the suggestion of another forum member that I did not have local dimming on the screen got a lot better but I can still see the greyish bars on the right side of the screen.

Here is a better picture than the ones I took yesterday in regards to the black screen. I still think I am going to exchange it this weekend to see if I can get a panel that has a little better screen uniformity but overall I am still really happy with the TV and will be even happier if I can get a panel with very minimal issues even though for the price I think this TV is top notch.

Ed

post #238 of 712 Old 04-09-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One other small gripe I have which has nothing to do with the actual TV itself but rather the remote control. Being a Harmony owner I am not liking the fact that this TV does not have a standard remote as I am having issues getting the TCL 6 series commands to work properly with my Harmony 900. I went to add it and barely any of the buttons crossed over so I tried do the learn IR commands. It seemed like it was going well until I tested it and toggle power button was turning the TV on and off, it was controlling the volume and to be honest none of the buttons that came over during the setup ended up working.

I really like my harmony and use the activities function but it seems like I will have to leave the TCL out of the mix unless I can figure out how to get the commands to work properly. If anyone has had similar issues and knows of a workaround I wold greatly appreciate it.

Ed

post #239 of 712 Old 04-09-2019, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
One other small gripe I have which has nothing to do with the actual TV itself but rather the remote control. Being a Harmony owner I am not liking the fact that this TV does not have a standard remote as I am having issues getting the TCL 6 series commands to work properly with my Harmony 900. I went to add it and barely any of the buttons crossed over so I tried do the learn IR commands. It seemed like it was going well until I tested it and toggle power button was turning the TV on and off, it was controlling the volume and to be honest none of the buttons that came over during the setup ended up working.

I really like my harmony and use the activities function but it seems like I will have to leave the TCL out of the mix unless I can figure out how to get the commands to work properly. If anyone has had similar issues and knows of a workaround I wold greatly appreciate it.
That seems odd. I have a Harmony as well (Harmony Ultimate, so different model), and I didn't have to teach the remote any commands - everything was in the database. Are you sure you chose the right model TV in the setup? The one I'm using is the "TCL 4k Roku TV".

Video: TCL 75R615 TV, LG UBK90 UHD BR Player, Tivo Roamio OTA 1TB
Audio: Onkyo TX-SR805 Silver (Still going strong!), Rega RP1 w/Performance Pack Turntable, Vincent PHO 8 Phono Stage, Logitech Squeezebox Touch
post #240 of 712 Old 04-09-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That seems odd. I have a Harmony as well (Harmony Ultimate, so different model), and I didn't have to teach the remote any commands - everything was in the database. Are you sure you chose the right model TV in the setup? The one I'm using is the "TCL 4k Roku TV".
It may be because the Harmony 900 is old but I wouldn't think that plays into it. I just TCL 617 I think so maybe I will try tcl 4K roku TV to see how that works.

edit: you my friend are a genius. I just added a new device and used roku TV as the model instead of 617 and all the buttons are there.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page