2019 TCL 75R615 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 331Likes

post #241 of 731 Old 04-09-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
One other small gripe I have which has nothing to do with the actual TV itself but rather the remote control. Being a Harmony owner I am not liking the fact that this TV does not have a standard remote as I am having issues getting the TCL 6 series commands to work properly with my Harmony 900. I went to add it and barely any of the buttons crossed over so I tried do the learn IR commands. It seemed like it was going well until I tested it and toggle power button was turning the TV on and off, it was controlling the volume and to be honest none of the buttons that came over during the setup ended up working.

I really like my harmony and use the activities function but it seems like I will have to leave the TCL out of the mix unless I can figure out how to get the commands to work properly. If anyone has had similar issues and knows of a workaround I wold greatly appreciate it.
If it's the 75R617, that would make sense as the remote doesn't transmit IR. The commands are sent wireless and NOT IR. The 75R615 uses IR but lacks the voice command button. Although I'm guessing there's an IR sensor in the 617's power button in case you get a replacement remote.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 731 Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post
If it's the 75R617, that would make sense as the remote doesn't transmit IR. The commands are sent wireless and NOT IR. The 75R615 uses IR but lacks the voice command button. Although I'm guessing there's an IR sensor in the 617's power button in case you get a replacement remote.
I did not even think of that but someone else suggested I use ROKU TV as the model which I did and all the proper buttons generated in the Harmony setup app so I think I am good but I may try adding another TV using R615 as the model.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
post #243 of 731 Old 04-09-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2081 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
While I do agree I will still mention that on the left side of my screen the letterbox bars pretty much stay black during non fullscreen material whereas just the right side of the screen gets the grey letterbox bars so I still believe there is an issue with the panel itself. Since I did realize last night at the suggestion of another forum member that I did not have local dimming on the screen got a lot better but I can still see the greyish bars on the right side of the screen.

Here is a better picture than the ones I took yesterday in regards to the black screen. I still think I am going to exchange it this weekend to see if I can get a panel that has a little better screen uniformity but overall I am still really happy with the TV and will be even happier if I can get a panel with very minimal issues even though for the price I think this TV is top notch.
I would not worry about the full screen black uniformity in the pics you posted. FALD TVs do not engage local dimming when no content is being displayed and you'll see similar results on other FALD panels on blank screens. As long as you don't see issues in real content, this shouldn't be a problem.

Your point about consistently grayer bars on the right hand side of the screen is a concern though. As someone else mentioned the bars can go grey based on blooming but if its consistently worse on the right hand side, you might have an issue with the panel. Good luck with the replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 731 Old 04-09-2019, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
While I do agree I will still mention that on the left side of my screen the letterbox bars pretty much stay black during non fullscreen material whereas just the right side of the screen gets the grey letterbox bars so I still believe there is an issue with the panel itself. Since I did realize last night at the suggestion of another forum member that I did not have local dimming on the screen got a lot better but I can still see the greyish bars on the right side of the screen.

Here is a better picture than the ones I took yesterday in regards to the black screen. I still think I am going to exchange it this weekend to see if I can get a panel that has a little better screen uniformity but overall I am still really happy with the TV and will be even happier if I can get a panel with very minimal issues even though for the price I think this TV is top notch.

ive had 2 of these tvs first one looked like your pics exchanged it do to motion issues and shutting itself off with weird gray screen second one had near perfect black screen but motion blur frame drops drove me crazy same as first set. which is weird because i really love my 55 r615 tcl no motion issues. i returned the second tcl 75 i really tried to love it for 2 weeks just couldnt get past the bad motion. I think the black uniformity issue is pretty normal. but you may get a better panel with exchange i did. i returned mine im going to get a 120hz native tv not sure whart brand and see how it goes here soon.
post #245 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I would not worry about the full screen black uniformity in the pics you posted. FALD TVs do not engage local dimming when no content is being displayed and you'll see similar results on other FALD panels on blank screens. As long as you don't see issues in real content, this shouldn't be a problem.

Your point about consistently grayer bars on the right hand side of the screen is a concern though. As someone else mentioned the bars can go grey based on blooming but if its consistently worse on the right hand side, you might have an issue with the panel. Good luck with the replacement.
Thank you and yes, when watching content that has the same amount of brightness across the whole screen at the top or bottom the right side letterbox bars are definitely lighter than the left. I plan on boxing it up this Saturday and returning it for another panel to see if I have better luck.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

post #246 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0426 View Post
ive had 2 of these tvs first one looked like your pics exchanged it do to motion issues and shutting itself off with weird gray screen second one had near perfect black screen but motion blur frame drops drove me crazy same as first set. which is weird because i really love my 55 r615 tcl no motion issues. i returned the second tcl 75 i really tried to love it for 2 weeks just couldnt get past the bad motion. I think the black uniformity issue is pretty normal. but you may get a better panel with exchange i did. i returned mine im going to get a 120hz native tv not sure whart brand and see how it goes here soon.
The motion is a little noticeable to me coming from almost a decade of watching nothing but plasma TV's but has not bothered me too much yet. As far as the refresh rate goes I had thought I read and heard that this is a native 120hz panel unlike the 55" and 65" version. Is that not correct?

Ed

post #247 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
The motion is a little noticeable to me coming from almost a decade of watching nothing but plasma TV's but has not bothered me too much yet. As far as the refresh rate goes I had thought I read and heard that this is a native 120hz panel unlike the 55" and 65" version. Is that not correct?
Let's just say "ok" and agree that it is indeed a 120hz panel. Now about that HDMI 2.0 cable. You need HDMI 2.1 to have anything over a 60hz refresh rate and 2.1 is not out in the wild yet.
Smigro likes this.
post #248 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
nope
DigitalGriffin likes this.
post #249 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
nope but expected in the next generation, probably this fall.
post #250 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Gotcha, I just read up on what 120hz CMI means. Coming from plasma I never paid attention to refresh rates so this is a little newer to me. That being said I have read and watched a few things that say the whole 60hz vs. 120hz for gaming and movie is more overblown than it should be but I wold still like to have a native 120hz panel.

Ed

post #251 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Plasmas were 60hz but had a smoother way is displaying. Not sample and hold.
post #252 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
these are definately 60hz panels. not saying its all bad just didnt work out for me i can notice 120hz to 60 with new tech i think 120hz is the way to go i have a 120 hz tv i can see the difference but for the price the tcl 75 probably cant be beat. just my opinion seem to be many happy customers tho.
DigitalGriffin and Smigro like this.
post #253 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gotcha, I just read up on what 120hz CMI means. Coming from plasma I never paid attention to refresh rates so this is a little newer to me. That being said I have read and watched a few things that say the whole 60hz vs. 120hz for gaming and movie is more overblown than it should be but I wold still like to have a native 120hz panel.
As stated earlier, CMI just causes the back light to flash off for a short period of time. (Usually Once, Sometimes twice per frame) The amount of off time depends on what the CMI setting is. But higher settings gernally lead to darker images. The problem is when the next frame is displayed LCD Crystals just don't instantly "FLIP" to their correct value. There's a transition. Typical ways of measuring this are GtG (Gray to Gray) in ms. So that blur you are seeing is the pixel transition. Turning off the backlight turns off the section where this gray to gray transition is greatest. So It appears sharper, kind of giving you an illusion of a higher Hz panel. But the cost tradeoff is total light output.

I would use CMI for Sports only and then when you do, crank the brightness. The Algorithms don't properly compensate for loss of back light during the "dark" sync period due to how our eyes work.

Film movie projectors kind of do the same thing. They are native 24FPS. But there's a moving shutter inside projector that displays each frame twice. So you get 48 Film flashes per second. It helps with the illusion of motion in this case.
Smigro likes this.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.

Last edited by DigitalGriffin; 04-10-2019 at 10:29 AM.
post #254 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As stated earlier, CMI just causes the back light to flash off for a short period of time. (Usually Once, Sometimes twice per frame) The amount of off time depends on what the CMI setting is. But higher settings gernally lead to darker images. The problem is when the next frame is displayed LCD Crystals just don't instantly "FLIP" to their correct value. There's a transition. Typical ways of measuring this are GtG (Gray to Gray) in ms. So that blur you are seeing is the pixel transition. Turning off the backlight turns off the section where this gray to gray transition is greatest. So It appears sharper, kind of giving you an illusion of a higher Hz panel. But the cost tradeoff is total light output.

I would use CMI for Sports only and then when you do, crank the brightness. The Algorithms don't properly compensate for loss of back light during the "dark" sync period due to how our eyes work.

Film movie projectors kind of do the same thing. They are native 24FPS. But there's a moving shutter inside projector that displays each frame twice. So you get 48 Film flashes per second. It helps with the illusion of motion in this case.
Thank you for that, I appreciate it as it helps me understand this a little bit better. So are you saying there is a way to adjust the CMI or is the CMI setting something that is factory applied and cannot be changed? I guess I will try turning down the backlight to see if that does anything since coming from plasma TV's I am used to a darker image.

Ed

post #255 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
Let's just say "ok" and agree that it is indeed a 120hz panel. Now about that HDMI 2.0 cable. You need HDMI 2.1 to have anything over a 60hz refresh rate and 2.1 is not out in the wild yet.
2.1 at 4k 120hz 120hz works at 1080p 1440p with hdmi 2.0
post #256 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Thank you for that, I appreciate it as it helps me understand this a little bit better. So are you saying there is a way to adjust the CMI or is the CMI setting something that is factory applied and cannot be changed? I guess I will try turning down the backlight to see if that does anything since coming from plasma TV's I am used to a darker image.

CMI is a measure. It's a rating used to specify what highest level of effect should achieve. I find it highly unreliable as how it's achieved seems to differ from vendor to vendor and often times the method used causes unacceptable image degradation (flicker and dimmimng most of the time)

Turning down the back light doesn't help CMI.

The strobing effect used to achieve higher CMI often results in a notably dimmer image not because the back light is turned down but because it's surrending spending a lot of the time being off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DigitalGriffin and Smigro like this.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
post #257 of 731 Old 04-10-2019, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Is that the 8 series? Do we know anything more about it, besides 8K, and the usage if mini-LED? I was about to pull the trigger on the 6 series until I found out about the 8.
Bahn Yuki likes this.
post #258 of 731 Old 04-11-2019, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
CMI is a measure. It's a rating used to specify what highest level of effect should achieve. I find it highly unreliable as how it's achieved seems to differ from vendor to vendor and often times the method used causes unacceptable image degradation (flicker and dimmimng most of the time)

Turning down the back light doesn't help CMI.

The strobing effect used to achieve higher CMI often results in a notably dimmer image not because the back light is turned down but because it's surrending spending a lot of the time being off.

Thank you for the explanation, I appreciate it. I guess this doesn't really bother me as so far I am not seeing anything that is bothersome other than trying to watch Our Planet on Netflix last night where I kept getting this weird flickering throughout the program. I think that may be an issue with the most recent update as I have heard other mention flickering issues in Netflix with the OS9 update and I watched Bumblebee afterwards last night and that was fine.

Ed

post #259 of 731 Old 04-11-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNKem 733 View Post
Is that the 8 series? Do we know anything more about it, besides 8K, and the usage if mini-LED? I was about to pull the trigger on the 6 series until I found out about the 8.
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/tc...k-qled-roku-tv
Bahn Yuki likes this.
post #260 of 731 Old 04-11-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was going to do that also but I have a feeling the price will be a bit more than the 6 series so I figure since it is such a good price for the 6 series now I will just move that to another room if I decide to also get an 8 series down the road.

Ed

post #261 of 731 Old 04-11-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mini LED is still YEARS off. And likely will be quite pricy.

[edit]: Correction. I get mini and micro LEDs confused. Mini leds just means a mini backlight that covers a few pixels. Micro LED is where every pixel is a LED.

That said 8 series will have 8K (Useless as tits on a bull) and QLED to improve color gamut. With all the reported issues Samsung has with QLED going bad, I'm not in a hurry to jump on to the QLED bandwagon.

I can't wait till Rec.2020 becomes the target. If my screen is showing a sun, I want it to give me a tan. I'm too pale as a geek now. *joking*
Hetfieldjames likes this.

post #262 of 731 Old 04-11-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 1098
Quote:

[edit]: Correction. I get mini and micro LEDs confused. Mini leds just means a mini backlight that covers a few pixels. Micro LED is where every pixel is a LED.

That said 8 series will have 8K (Useless as tits on a bull) and QLED to improve color gamut. With all the reported issues Samsung has with QLED going bad, I'm not in a hurry to jump on to the QLED bandwagon.

I can't wait till Rec.2020 becomes the target. If my screen is showing a sun, I want it to give me a tan. I'm too pale as a geek now. *joking*
I have you like because it's a good post but mostly because you used the fraise "Tits on a bull" which I use daily. Not a ton of people I know do.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
woodhead2 likes this.
post #263 of 731 Old 04-11-2019, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
I was going to do that also but I have a feeling the price will be a bit more than the 6 series so I figure since it is such a good price for the 6 series now I will just move that to another room if I decide to also get an 8 series down the road.
I figured $2200-$2400, and I'd wait until they inevitably go on sale for around 1500.

Quote:

That is why I said I'd wait. The miniLEDS don't cover every pixel, but TCL claims 300% more zones then the 6 series, so going by the 75" with 170, that means the 8 will have 680 for the 75". I want to see how things pan out. I'd get the extra long, extended warranty.
Bahn Yuki and Smigro like this.

Last edited by PUNKem 733; 04-11-2019 at 03:05 PM.
post #264 of 731 Old 04-11-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I figured $2200-$2400, and I'd wait until they inevitably go on sale for around 1500.

That is why I said I'd wait. The miniLEDS don't cover every pixel, but TCL claims 300% more zones then the 6 series, so going by the 75" with 170, that means the 8 will have 680 for the 75". I want to see how things pan out. I'd get the extra long, extended warranty.
Yeah I believe people are getting micro-LED and mini-LED confused. Micro-LED is a completely separate technology. Mini-LED is regular LCD/LED on super duper steroids.
Anyway I believe Mini-LED solves the seating angle issue, leaving they look good or mostly perfect from an seat but just directly in the front. Correct me if I'm wrong?

post #265 of 731 Old 04-11-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Yeah I believe people are getting micro-LED and mini-LED confused. Micro-LED is a completely separate technology. Mini-LED is regular LCD/LED on super duper steroids.
Anyway I believe Mini-LED solves the seating angle issue, leaving they look good or mostly perfect from an seat but just directly in the front. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Did you mean micro led? I don't think mini would improve viewing angle...

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

post #266 of 731 Old 04-11-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you mean micro led? I don't think mini would improve viewing angle...

Mini-LED because of the more zones I thought improved the viewing angle issue but I could be wrong. In any event I can't wait to see Mini-LED in action.

post #267 of 731 Old 04-12-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
The 8 series will show up on the FCC site before it comes to market. It usually take about 2 months or so before it hits stores.

The 75 inch 6 series showed up there a couple of days before it was announced at CES.

https://fccid.io/W8U
post #268 of 731 Old 04-12-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2019 TCL 75R615 Owners Thread

Quote:
Mini-LED because of the more zones I thought improved the viewing angle issue but I could be wrong. In any event I can't wait to see Mini-LED in action.

I think viewing angle us largely dictated by panel type with IPS having great angles and va having poor angles.

The number of zones I don't think will effect of angle viewing.

Micro led should have excellent viewing angles since it doesn't relly on an LCD screen at all and it's essentially just looking at tons of little lights directly

I like the idea of mini led since it should theoretically result in very little blooming

post #269 of 731 Old 04-12-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think viewing angle us largely dictated by panel type with IPS having great angles and va having poor angles.

The number of zones I don't think will effect of angle viewing.

Micro led should have excellent viewing angles since it doesn't relly on an LCD screen at all and it's essentially just looking at tons of little lights directly

I like the idea of mini led since it should theoretically result in very little blooming

Yeah I guess I was wrong about the viewing angle deal but yeah I really want to see Mini-LED. I really think it will close the gap between LCD and OLED. Not 100% but much, much closer.

post #270 of 731 Old 04-12-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I guess I was wrong about the viewing angle deal but yeah I really want to see Mini-LED. I really think it will close the gap between LCD and OLED. Not 100% but much, much closer.

I'm curious how close it will get.... More zones is going to be better but ultimately you can't localize a light source too much without makings it focused. And you can't focus it without making it defined. Defined back lights would have major DSE or other lighting issues. Basically even a tiny pin sized led would cast a ring if light and the is necessary for it to blend in with the other lights and create a smooth even backlight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page