82” Q900 8K QLED Hands On Review: Samsung’s Best TV Ever - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 181Likes

post #61 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
$10k for 82"

Who is the target audience for this?
Rich housewives?
Videophiles with this kind of budget would go with a JVC/high end laser projector with a 130" AT screen or a 77" oled tv, at least in my circle and the friends i have (who are all enthusiasts). I don't think any of us would think it's wise to spend 10000 usd and end up getting a samsung lcd.
I havent researched the specs fully, is the 82" model costing 10k usd native 4k or 8k resolution? If it's 8k that's nuts, if it's 4k that's even more nuts. A samsung L friggin' CD with less than 500 dimming zones costing 10 grand ? Phew.

And at this time of the year every year, the PR hype train is always running full steam ahead on how awesome these things are, I'd be rather curious to read the opinions of actual owners 6 months after launch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 3399
^not too long ago folks were paying 20 grand for a 77inch oled...while 10gs is still pretty high, prices have come down to earth a bit.
mnc, KidHorn, Funciona and 2 others like this.
post #63 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
I have an OLED and a Z9D. It's the Z9D I would replace with an 82Q900 without hesitation.
I presume for the size upgrade and alleged wider viewing angles because there's little other reason to move on from the Z9D, especially if you want a TV that performs well in both bright and darker conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This'll be 5k in less than 2 years.
post #65 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8741 Post(s)
Liked: 15262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Rich housewives?
Videophiles with this kind of budget would go with a JVC/high end laser projector with a 130" AT screen or a 77" oled tv, at least in my circle and the friends i have (who are all enthusiasts). I don't think any of us would think it's wise to spend 10000 usd and end up getting a samsung lcd.
I havent researched the specs fully, is the 82" model costing 10k usd native 4k or 8k resolution?If it's 8k that's nuts , if it's 4k that's even more nuts. A samsung L friggin' CD with less than 500 dimming zones costing 10 grand ? Phew.

And at this time of the year every year, the PR hype train is always running full steam ahead on how awesome these things are, I'd be rather curious to read the opinions of actual owners 6 months after launch.
How would a videophile with that kind of budget be able to buy a TV that has not existed until now? The answer is they could not.

You are not sure if this TV is 8K? Apparently, you did not read the review. Or the headline...
CoryW, ohyeah32, KidHorn and 6 others like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 02-21-2019 at 05:29 AM.
post #66 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
$10k for 82"

Plenty of rich people that just ask, what's the best plus a certain # of videophiles that it is important to.
post #67 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
$10k for 82"

Not this guy that's for sure, ouch. I'd have divorce papers served if I brought this hope. And to be honest would deserve it. Way out of whack crazy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #68 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
$10k for 82"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
I won't presume to speak for anyone else, but they certainly have my attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^not too long ago folks were paying 20 grand for a 77inch oled...while 10gs is still pretty high, prices have come down to earth a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
This'll be 5k in less than 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Plenty of rich people that just ask, what's the best plus a certain # of videophiles that it is important to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Not this guy that's for sure, ouch. I'd have divorce papers served if I brought this hope. And to be honest would deserve it. Way out of whack crazy.

The audience is people who by state-of-the-art flagship TVs at the launch MSRP. Without fail, prices go down as the year progresses. So the answer to the original question is... Impatient TV enthusiasts with a big budget.
tenthplanet and js950 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #69 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
The audience is people who by state-of-the-art flagship TVs at the launch MSRP. Without fail, prices go down as the year progresses. So the answer to the original question is... Impatient TV enthusiasts with a big budget.
I'm jealous.

tenthplanet likes this.
post #70 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy12 View Post
Not sure if this is true, but I have heard you can’t tell a difference with DV on sets this bright. That DV is typically more for your mid range sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Since when did Sony start supporting HDR10+? As I see it Sony is in the DV/HDR10 camp and Samsung is in the HDR10/+ camp. Choose your side.
I believe per the CES videos, the Sony Z9G and the Panasonic GZ2000 do both formats.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
post #71 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I presume for the size upgrade and alleged wider viewing angles because there's little other reason to move on from the Z9D, especially if you want a TV that performs well in both bright and darker conditions.
For size

BUT I keep thinking, what the heck for? 75" is a great size. A week ago I installed an 85" Sony X900F for a neighbor and I think I am size envious.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #72 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
I got a demo on this screen recently as well, of course using the supplied Samsung demo content. I am a huge Sony fanboi, and although I have kind of dumped on Samsung over previous years, all I have to say about this particular TV is that is freaking glorious. It is objectively a phenomenal screen. Even my own biases couldn't find away around that. Haha. Looking at this screen from various angles, close up or at a distance, it was like looking through a window. It's great to see Samsung get back in the game. I love some healthy competition.

For those question the costs on a brand new flagship... you obviously don't get it. It ain't about value or "Pssh... I can get a TCL Roku TV for 10% as much!" Sometimes it's simply the latest and greatest a manufacturer has to offer, and give it some time and the tech will trickle down into the lower models. No need to complain about ANYTHING yet. Unless you actually went out and bought one. Then critique away I suppose. Usually those who complain the most about the prices of flagship models weren't exactly people who were going to seriously purchase one anyway. Haha.
CoryW, DaverJ, KidHorn and 11 others like this.
post #73 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 12416 Post(s)
Liked: 11589
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
I believe per the CES videos, the Sony Z9G and the Panasonic GZ2000 do both formats.

Vincent Teoh misspoke and retracted his Sony hdr10+ claim.
post #74 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
For size

BUT I keep thinking, what the heck for? 75" is a great size. A week ago I installed an 85" Sony X900F for a neighbor and I think I am size envious.
I get it, but I bet you didn't get to make a PQ comparison in the dark. Quantity up to a point, but quality foremost.
post #75 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Looking at this screen from various angles, close up or at a distance, it was like looking through a window.
That's the end goal IMO. I want things to look like you're looking out a window. I have yet to see a TV that comes close to this. OLED included. I care far more about this than the rare times I view a star field. Perfect blacks are great, but don't actually exist in the real world. Even when looking at the night sky in the dessert.
tenthplanet and srkmish like this.
post #76 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I would love to see a comparison article comparing the Samsung with the new Sony Displays.
Ted99, Gillietalls and jrref like this.

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, AA5 and SR3 dipole/bipole, Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #77 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the review, do you know what was the firmware used on it?

Inviato dal mio SM-N960F utilizzando Tapatalk
post #78 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

I want to officially confirm that 2019 Q900 in US is Q950 in Europe. Same TV.
Ted99 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #79 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
I got a demo on this screen recently as well, of course using the supplied Samsung demo content. I am a huge Sony fanboi, and although I have kind of dumped on Samsung over previous years, all I have to say about this particular TV is that is freaking glorious. It is objectively a phenomenal screen. Even my own biases couldn't find away around that. Haha. Looking at this screen from various angles, close up or at a distance, it was like looking through a window. It's great to see Samsung get back in the game. I love some healthy competition.

For those question the costs on a brand new flagship... you obviously don't get it. It ain't about value or "Pssh... I can get a TCL Roku TV for 10% as much!" Sometimes it's simply the latest and greatest a manufacturer has to offer, and give it some time and the tech will trickle down into the lower models. No need to complain about ANYTHING yet. Unless you actually went out and bought one. Then critique away I suppose. Usually those who complain the most about the prices of flagship models weren't exactly people who were going to seriously purchase one anyway. Haha.
You're right about people that are complaining about the price most likely were not going to buy the TV anyway. Because let's face it not a lot of people have 10 grand laying around to spend on the TV. It is a big chunk of money but if you've got it and you want the best then go for it and I mean that in a good way not in a sarcastic way. So I have a question for Mark for the past couple years and even preceding up to the release of OLED in mass quantities to the public it was supposed to be the be-all to end all TVs. So if I am understanding you right you think this is the Tv if you have the money to go out and purchase because a 77 inch OLED that could have a slight possibility of burn in may not be the way to go then. So am I right you think this TV is on par or better then OLED comes with a bigger price tag but like I said if you have the money which a lot of people on this site do then go for it, here's my only problem seeing I have a JVC projector and 110 inch screen which is almost 20 inches more but can't put out the picture that this TV can and we all know projectors a lot of them have trouble with HDR you could take that $10,000 and maybe add a little with it get a nice projector and about 130 inch screen you're talking 50 inches more of viewing area it may not look as good but that 50 inches is a big deal. projectors have come along way I think most people would agree with that. So you could take 10 or $11,000 and buy pretty decent equipment in the AV world of course not the top-of-the-line but still some pretty good stuff so like I said for those who are going to take that leap and it's everything Mark says it is then enjoy your new TV if you purchase one
post #80 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I can remember when people were complaining about 5,000 dollar 50 inch plasma tv's, allowing for inflation and what have you 10,000 doesn't seem that crazy for this TV. Also bear in mind that most things you pay for go up over the years. Anyone actually seen their rent drop..
srkmish likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #81 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Rich housewives?
I havent researched the specs fully, is the 82" model costing 10k usd native 4k or 8k resolution? If it's 8k that's nuts, if it's 4k that's even more nuts. A samsung L friggin' CD with less than 500 dimming zones costing 10 grand ? Phew.

And what are you watching outside of the home theater/man cave. That's where Samsung has it's market.
Ted99 likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #82 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 980
Nice review man. I love my living room LG 65 E7 OLED, but If I was going to make a little gaming room or something where I wanted to use a large direct view display, the 82" Q900 Samsung would a great choice.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #83 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Nice review man. I love my living room LG 65 E7 OLED, but If I was going to make a little gaming room or something where I wanted to use a large direct view display, the 82" Q900 Samsung would a great choice.
The linked "review" isn't a review, it is, as described in the conclusion, a "hands on session". There was no time for calibration, measurement, photos of any tests or screens that were viewed, nothing but first impressions from "watching movie clips, playing video games, and checking out specialized test clips plus patterns." Now I'm sure this is a fine TV, but all the wild claims need to be validated in a complete scientific review. Just saying that "the improvements in performance described here don’t require measuring with a light meter to notice" and this TVs improved hardware "can be appreciated subjectively" isn't something I thought the members here would accept blindly. Hopefully the "full editorial review" will be performed as promised to provide to substantiate or correct the assertions that have been made.
dwaleke, Gillietalls and OLED4UNME like this.
post #84 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
The linked "review" isn't a review, it is, as described in the conclusion, a "hands on session". There was no time for calibration, measurement, photos of any tests or screens that were viewed, nothing but first impressions from "watching movie clips, playing video games, and checking out specialized test clips plus patterns." Now I'm sure this is a fine TV, but all the wild claims need to be validated in a complete scientific review. Just saying that "the improvements in performance described here don’t require measuring with a light meter to notice" and this TVs improved hardware "can be appreciated subjectively" isn't something I thought the members here would accept blindly. Hopefully the "full editorial review" will be performed as promised to provide to substantiate or correct the assertions that have been made.
Yes I understand that lol. I read it.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #85 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Yes I understand that lol. I read it.
I'm sure rtings will do its thing. At least I hope it does, I don't really want to repeat all those measurements and duplicate effort.

Anyhow, I'm done with people complaining about "cherry picked samples" and all that, plus yeah my time was limited. I stuck to what's obvious. The anti-reflective and wide-angle view performance of this series, for example, should be just as good on every single unit out there. Same with the processing, should be exactly the same from unit to unit.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #86 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'm sure rtings will do its thing. At least I hope it does, I don't really want to repeat all those measurements and duplicate effort.

Anyhow, I'm done with people complaining about "cherry picked samples" and all that, plus yeah my time was limited. I stuck to what's obvious.
Your good man. Amazing how many people get so upset? Fanboyism is a terrible thing but oh well.
egrady, Ted99, Funciona and 2 others like this.

post #87 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I am very interested in buying one of these TVs later this year, but I’m curious about something. Are all four HDMI inputs 2.1?
post #88 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post
I am very interested in buying one of these TVs later this year, but I’m curious about something. Are all four HDMI inputs 2.1?
Yes

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #89 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 67
post #90 of 235 Old 02-21-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 3133
260 Billionaires in the USA.
Do you think $10,000 means anything? Buy today, replace with what's new and neater tomorrow.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Q900 , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page