2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4061Likes

post #3391 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post
Looks like the Q90 has finally gone on 'sale' from Samsung! Time for me to pull the trigger -- only decision now is what size to buy.
Go big!!!
gimpygod, SantiP80 and cueball73 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brho0m13 View Post
I hope they don't break any of the goodness!

What I know is that it raises the brightness higher than the intention of the director, which crush the details of bright areas

And make the brightness unbalanced Each EOTF brightness curve tends to raise the brightness from 0 nits to 1000 nits and higher

50 nits to be 200 nits
60 nits to be 400 nits etc

Vincent has indicated that in Q90R In Q90R review

Samsung should add Tone Mapping option Such as LG and Sony and leave the movie mode accurate

The tone mapping option allows the user to raise the brightness of EOTF curve and leave the movie mode accurate Without tampering

This is what I mean at 2:38 Example for illustration only

https://youtu.be/FMSQPY3pfq0
post #3393 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 201
New Firmware released today

Quote:
- Version : 1065.0
- Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices
Hopefully the local dimming issues on the build in Smart Apps are taken care off
Terminader and gimpygod like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3394 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I can imagine how GOT was for some last night? I wasn't home to watch it on my Q90. Massive complaints of the episode being dark. How was the experience guys?
post #3395 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
I can imagine how GOT was for some last night? I wasn't home to watch it on my Q90. Massive complaints of the episode being dark. How was the experience guys?
My biggest complaint wasn't so much the darkness but the amount of digital noise I was getting in the blacks. Watched via ATV 4K and HBOGO app. Had my backlight setting at around 22, might rewatch some scenes with a lower setting to see if it helps, but it was pretty annoying. Even my wife commented on it so it was pretty bad.
post #3396 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroon08 View Post
My biggest complaint wasn't so much the darkness but the amount of digital noise I was getting in the blacks. Watched via ATV 4K and HBOGO app. Had my backlight setting at around 22, might rewatch some scenes with a lower setting to see if it helps, but it was pretty annoying. Even my wife commented on it so it was pretty bad.
Yes, i noticed that too -- i don't have the Q90 yet but it was very prevalent in my LG C8 so not necessarily a Q90 issue.
post #3397 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroon08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
the black sky looked really “blocky/blotchy”. Is this same as you saw? Im not sure how to explain it
post #3398 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Problems returning 82 inch Samsung QW90R

I purchased an 82 Samsung Q90R TV from Samsung online and paid an additional cost to have the TV handled with white glove service.

They delivered the TV, set it up it up and it and it powered on and they took the box away. Fast forward about a couple of weeks and I have decided to return the television for poor 1080P content viewing. Samsung provided a shipping label for fedex but fedex won’t pick up the TV if it is not boxed. Samsung won’t send out a new box or pay for the TV to be packaged saying that it is my responsibility to purchase a box and disassemble the TV and adequately package the TV. They told me to buy a box from Lowes or Amazon. I don't even know who I could pay to come out to my house and properaly package the TV in a new Box. I would love that information. I asked Samsung and they didn't give me any reccomendations. They couldn't even tell me what specfic box or packaging to put the TV in.

I told them that I do not have the resources or manpower to do that by myself, that told me to contact a family member or neighbor to help me package the TV in the Box. Neither are available to me and I fear that I am stuck with a $6300 defective TV. Does anyone have contacts or connections with Samsung to help me?

I have been on the phone with Samsung for hours, Feel like Iam being neglected and taken advantage of as a customer who just wants to return their TV. At this point I would be willing to pay for a service to come to my house and properly package the TV and have it insured. I can’t find a service to do this, and Samsung is being the least bit helpful. They won’t even ship mew a new 82 inch box that I would at this point pay for myself.
post #3399 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
the black sky looked really “blocky/blotchy”. Is this same as you saw? Im not sure how to explain it
Overall, the picture wasn't to bad on Directv, but it was fairly dark and I did have some of that when there were shots of the sky.

Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-290, ADP 190's, Sub: Outlaw LFM-1 EX, Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, Televisions: Samsung QN75Q90RAFXZA, Sony XBR-49X900E, Blu-ray Player: Panasonic - DP-UB820, Region Free Blu-ray Player: Oppo 103D
post #3400 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

HBO GO is totally bit-starved at 5 Mbps.. Even with a miracle CODEC, that's way too low. My wife said it was unwatchable on my X900E and even on my HX909. My buddy was going to return his X900F until he saw a Blu-Ray of GOT - the X900F has the X1 Extreme processor! To keep so I don't hear spoilers waiting for Blu-Rays, we are watching on Amazon. It's still not even close to Blu-Ray (the video is software, color is murkier, and sound isn't as clear) but it's supposed to be 10 Mbps (Blu-Ray tops out at 54 Mbps). You may want to A&B Go vs. Amazon, 15-day trial is free on the latter.
post #3401 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dse

What level of DSE is acceptable or normal on these sets? I have a 75" (FA02) and two 65"s (AA01s). The all have 5%/50% grey uniformity like or slightly better than the model reviewed on Rtings. Still, I'm concerned that 1) I somehow managed to get three bad panels, 2) you all are getting god panels directly from Samsung, or 3) we have different definitions of a "little" DSE.

In normal SDR/HDR content, everything is fine. I can watch a 4K movie, news, or an episode of GoT or House or Cloak & Dagger and not see any DSE at all. In fact, I only see DSE when I watch hockey, pan the sky in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, or move a large Windows window on a Q90R I'm using as a giant monitor. The DSE I see looks like faint little smudges here and there, like a Jackson Pollock painting. Is that an expected level of DSE?

I upgraded from two KS8000s. They have banding, vignetting, light bleed, blooming, shallow blacks that create "grey" letterboxing, etc., but their defects never bothered me. Since I have no other experience with a FALD panel, I don't know if my Q90Rs are atypical.
Terminader and Ernesteaux like this.
post #3402 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I saw the same blocky/blotchy blacks (with obvious gradients) on my 75" Q90R. The scene looks far worse on my KS8000, though. I'm watching GoT through an Amazon Fire cube.
post #3403 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huttyhawk View Post
They couldn't even tell me what specfic box or packaging to put the TV in.
I just googled "package a large TV for shipping" and came up with a bunch of professional movers that can, at the very least, sell you packaging.

Low rez content looks pretty good on my Q90Rs, though. Deep blacks, gorgeous color, etc. Did another set give you a better picture?
Terminader and South Park like this.
post #3404 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmithking View Post
What level of DSE is acceptable or normal on these sets? I have a 75" (FA02) and two 65"s (AA01s). The all have 5%/50% grey uniformity like or slightly better than the model reviewed on Rtings. Still, I'm concerned that 1) I somehow managed to get three bad panels, 2) you all are getting god panels directly from Samsung, or 3) we have different definitions of a "little" DSE.

In normal SDR/HDR content, everything is fine. I can watch a 4K movie, news, or an episode of GoT or House or Cloak & Dagger and not see any DSE at all. In fact, I only see DSE when I watch hockey, pan the sky in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, or move a large Windows window on a Q90R I'm using as a giant monitor. The DSE I see looks like faint little smudges here and there, like a Jackson Pollock painting. Is that an expected level of DSE?

I upgraded from two KS8000s. They have banding, vignetting, light bleed, blooming, shallow blacks that create "grey" letterboxing, etc., but their defects never bothered me. Since I have no other experience with a FALD panel, I don't know if my Q90Rs are atypical.
Sounds much like the DSE I am experiencing with my Q90 75". I think that when people say little or nothing at all it comes down to two thing: 1) Some are more prone than others to notice DSE. My girlfreind never notice it, I do. 2) Many are coming from the Q9FN which in general had much worse DSE, and compared to Q9FN people finds the DSE on the Q90 to be little to very little. I think the amount of DSE you have sounds to be normal from what I read have have seen myself.
Terminader and QledBeta like this.
post #3405 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I purchased an 82 Samsung Q90R TV from Samsung online and paid an additional cost to have the TV handled with white glove service.

They delivered the TV, set it up it up and it and it powered on and they took the box away. Fast forward about a couple of weeks and I have decided to return the television for poor 1080P content viewing. Samsung provided a shipping label for fedex but fedex won’t pick up the TV if it is not boxed. Samsung won’t send out a new box or pay for the TV to be packaged saying that it is my responsibility to purchase a box and disassemble the TV and adequately package the TV. They told me to buy a box from Lowes or Amazon. I don't even know who I could pay to come out to my house and properaly package the TV in a new Box. I would love that information. I asked Samsung and they didn't give me any reccomendations. They couldn't even tell me what specfic box or packaging to put the TV in.

I told them that I do not have the resources or manpower to do that by myself, that told me to contact a family member or neighbor to help me package the TV in the Box. Neither are available to me and I fear that I am stuck with a $6300 defective TV. Does anyone have contacts or connections with Samsung to help me?

I have been on the phone with Samsung for hours, Feel like Iam being neglected and taken advantage of as a customer who just wants to return their TV. At this point I would be willing to pay for a service to come to my house and properly package the TV and have it insured. I can’t find a service to do this, and Samsung is being the least bit helpful. They won’t even ship mew a new 82 inch box that I would at this point pay for myself.
Sounds fair to me that Samsung wants you to properly package the TV if returning. I would say its normal that you keep the original package if you want to return or think it might be a possibility that you will.
post #3406 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Native is more saturated on mine in both sdr and Hdr.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Acutally seems so. Might be because my tv is EU based and running version 1066?!
post #3407 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecco View Post
Sounds much like the DSE I am experiencing with my Q90 75". I think that when people say little or nothing at all it comes down to two thing: 1) Some are more prone than others to notice DSE. My girlfreind never notice it, I do. 2) Many are coming from the Q9FN which in general had much worse DSE, and compared to Q9FN people finds the DSE on the Q90 to be little to very little. I think the amount of DSE you have sounds to be normal from what I read have have seen myself.
I would agree with that. I came from a technology that didn't suffer from DSE, so I definitely notice it in the right content. But this set also does many things better than my old dinosaur. Overall it definitely produces a much better picture for most situations, but we're still in the "every technology has its drawbacks" days.
post #3408 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

I think your best option at this point would be to have them send someone out to repair what is defective.
Terminader likes this.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
post #3409 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Though I'm no expert, in my two years in these forums, most, not all, people who are more knowledgeable than me have stated that backlight is a preference and doesn't impact the picture quality, unlike brightness. Before anyone jumps on me I'm just the messenger lol.
brightness on this tv controls the dark levels, it is not a traditional brightness setting the way we know. Play about with the brightness setting on darker scenes and you will soon find out what it does. On the PS4 turning on issue, just turn the CEC OFF on the PS4 NOT the TV.
post #3410 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
I think your best option at this point would be to have them send someone out to repair what is defective.
I am nearing on my return window and do not want to be stuck with a 6K TV that I do not like. I took a posters suggestion ang googled box and crate in my home state, I am having them cost up how much it will be for them to come to my home and put the TV safely in a crate they build and ship it back to Samsung.

I haven’t received their quote yet but I am guessing its going to be over $500. I guess it is worth $500 to not pay $6300 for a TV you do not like.

Lessons learned on my part for sure, I never thought about saving the original box when the white glove service had it delivered. But even if I had, I would still have to pay someone to package it and return it back to Samsung. I naively thought that by purchasing the white glove service that if I had a problem with my TV it would also be returned automatically with the white glove service that I payed for. But like I said, lesson learned. Very put off with the customer support I received at Samsung, will never buy a TV from them direct again.
post #3411 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
I am nearing on my return window and do not want to be stuck with a 6K TV that I do not like. I took a posters suggestion ang googled box and crate in my home state, I am having them cost up how much it will be for them to come to my home and put the TV safely in a crate they build and ship it back to Samsung.

I haven’t received their quote yet but I am guessing its going to be over $500. I guess it is worth $500 to not pay $6300 for a TV you do not like.

Lessons learned on my part for sure, I never thought about saving the original box when the white glove service had it delivered. But even if I had, I would still have to pay someone to package it and return it back to Samsung. I naively thought that by purchasing the white glove service that if I had a problem with my TV it would also be returned automatically with the white glove service that I payed for. But like I said, lesson learned. Very put off with the customer support I received at Samsung, will never buy a TV from them direct again.
Good point. I think Best Buy would have at least come back to pick up the TV. I bought a Q6FN from Costco and returned it last year. They sent the same freight company that delivered the TV.. very easy process. Of course, in my case I did save the box. I tend to save all boxes until the warranty period expires.
post #3412 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
It was really bad on my set as well, which is why I am returning my 82 Q90R. I have noticed it on other content as well (I had posted about this in the past on this thread). Today I watched GOT episode from last night again from my 10 year old 70 inch sharp TV 5 feet away and the picture quality was drastically better than the Q90R. Maybe all 4K TV’s are like this, I’ll just return my TV to Samsung and wait until a TV manufacturer makes one that you don’t cringe at when watching low light 1080P content.
post #3413 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecco View Post
OK, thanks! That really helps. If what I have is typical, I can learn to live with the DSE. I don't want to keep swapping out panels hoping for a unicorn.

My wife watches hockey, but she doesn't see any DSE at all on the 75" during a game. She asked me not to point it out.
Terminader likes this.
post #3414 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmithking View Post
OK, thanks! That really helps. If what I have is typical, I can learn to live with the DSE. I don't want to keep swapping out panels hoping for a unicorn.

My wife watches hockey, but she doesn't see any DSE at all on the 75" during a game. She asked me not to point it out.
Get her on this forum! It's that kind of owner we need to also hear from.
post #3415 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:

So this is unreal, I get a quote of$900 for a shipping company to package and ship the TV fully insured back to Samsung (which at this point I am willing to pay) and I call Samsung to make sure that it is ok that I return the TV with this company and not fedex and they tell me they will only accept the return of the TV through fedex. Which means I am stuck with this TV because I don’t have a box for it and even if I did, I don’t have the resources to put in a box. This is absolutely unreal. The absolute lack of customer support from Samsung in this situation is crazy.
post #3416 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
It was really bad on my set as well, which is why I am returning my 82 Q90R. I have noticed it on other content as well (I had posted about this in the past on this thread). Today I watched GOT episode from last night again from my 10 year old 70 inch sharp TV 5 feet away and the picture quality was drastically better than the Q90R. Maybe all 4K TV’s are like this, I’ll just return my TV to Samsung and wait until a TV manufacturer makes one that you don’t cringe at when watching low light 1080P content.
There will never be a TV that will handle bit starved content decently. Especially at 4k and 82 inches, you need higher quality content.

I watched the Amazon stream, and it was terrible. The blockiness of the dark areas were so bad and noisy that it was doing weird things to the local dimming.
post #3417 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Yep. Look at the z9d. Mediocre native contrast but widely considered one of the best maybe the best LCD ever made even to this day. I don't hear many complaints about contrast and blacks over there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Being a Samsung guy (E8000, HU9000), I had my heart set on the Q9FN last year as soon as it was announced as an FALD LCD. However, after faithfully reading that thread for 7 months in anticipation of Black Friday, I couldn't invest in a TV with obvious backlight issues (pulsing, crunch, vignetting), so I surprised myself and bought my first Sony, the aforementioned Z9D. Android TV sucks, but HDR movies and movies in general are incredible as the BMD is the best LED backlight system to date (IMHO). I'm now in the same position of really wanting the Q90r, but I don't need the wide angle and don't see it as an obvious upgrade to my Z for movies. If I was a gamer or watched a lot of cable TV sports I would get a Sammy hands down. I'm very interested to hear from you guys as the firmware updates roll out. BF is right around the corner.

Last edited by shark91962; 04-29-2019 at 07:21 PM.
post #3418 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadacclaim View Post
Quote:
There will never be a TV that will handle bit starved content decently. Especially at 4k and 82 inches, you need higher quality content.

I watched the Amazon stream, and it was terrible. The blockiness of the dark areas were so bad and noisy that it was doing weird things to the local dimming.
AI upscaling will improve more. Enhance.. Enhance... Enhance.

That said, I do agree with hutty that Samsung customer support is trash. They are literal robots with no ability to think, no consideration, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get to real people that have actual authority or concern.
post #3419 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
So this is unreal, I get a quote of$900 for a shipping company to package and ship the TV fully insured back to Samsung (which at this point I am willing to pay) and I call Samsung to make sure that it is ok that I return the TV with this company and not fedex and they tell me they will only accept the return of the TV through fedex. Which means I am stuck with this TV because I don’t have a box for it and even if I did, I don’t have the resources to put in a box. This is absolutely unreal. The absolute lack of customer support from Samsung in this situation is crazy.
If you didn't have the box, I wouldn't take the return anyway.

Don't throw out boxes within a return window!

This is not poor support though I have no idea of their overall performance in other matters. They also likely have an easy claims deal with fedex when shipped in original carton.
Mikejl and Terminader like this.
post #3420 of 5226 Old 04-29-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Don't throw out boxes within a return window!

This is not poor support...
While generally I agree with you, the fact that Samsung's "white glove service" took the box after they set up the TV keeps them in the responsibility loop. When you offer a "single source" solution (even if it is subcontracted out) you gain value in the customer's eyes because they can't get caught in the middle. That value might get you extra business, but it comes at the cost of extra responsibility. The customer pays SAMSUNG extra for white glove service. If they took the box then demanded it for a return, I would tell them to bring it back. Or file a claim with the CC company.
Cuthalu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page