2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4084Likes

post #3421 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 46
FWIW, 4k.com review
Santos01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6422 Post(s)
Liked: 6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post
Looks like the Q90 has finally gone on 'sale' from Samsung! Time for me to pull the trigger -- only decision now is what size to buy.
The number one reason for buyer remorse is buying the smaller TV.......
SantiP80 and cueball73 like this.
post #3423 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by huttyhawk View Post
So this is unreal, I get a quote of$900 for a shipping company to package and ship the TV fully insured back to Samsung (which at this point I am willing to pay) and I call Samsung to make sure that it is ok that I return the TV with this company and not fedex and they tell me they will only accept the return of the TV through fedex. Which means I am stuck with this TV because I don’t have a box for it and even if I did, I don’t have the resources to put in a box. This is absolutely unreal. The absolute lack of customer support from Samsung in this situation is crazy.

How did you pay. Sorry if already answered. If used a credit card call them. They will get it taken care of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3424 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
While generally I agree with you, the fact that Samsung's "white glove service" took the box after they set up the TV keeps them in the responsibility loop. When you offer a "single source" solution (even if it is subcontracted out) you gain value in the customer's eyes because they can't get caught in the middle. That value might get you extra business, but it comes at the cost of extra responsibility. The customer pays SAMSUNG extra for white glove service. If they took the box then demanded it for a return, I would tell them to bring it back. Or file a claim with the CC company.

I disagree. It’s still the customers responsibility to ask for the box if they want to keep it. They are actually doing you a favor by disposing of it for you. I ALWAYS keep my boxes, at the very least until after the warranty expires.
Mikejl, South Park and OLED4UNME like this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #3425 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Don't throw out boxes within a return window!

This is not poor support...
While generally I agree with you, the fact that Samsung's "white glove service" took the box after they set up the TV keeps them in the responsibility loop. When you offer a "single source" solution (even if it is subcontracted out) you gain value in the customer's eyes because they can't get caught in the middle. That value might get you extra business, but it comes at the cost of extra responsibility. The customer pays SAMSUNG extra for white glove service. If they took the box then demanded it for a return, I would tell them to bring it back. Or file a claim with the CC company.
That would depend on if they just took the box without asking. I also sprang for their white glove service and the guys asked me if I wanted to keep the box or have them take it.
post #3426 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
That would depend on if they just took the box without asking. I also sprang for their white glove service and the guys asked me if I wanted to keep the box or have them take it.

They took it without asking.
post #3427 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezlar View Post
How did you pay. Sorry if already answered. If used a credit card call them. They will get it taken care of.

I paid with a USAA credit card and they usually are great with being customer advocates especially since most of their members are from US armed forces. But it is mind boggling to me that it has come to this, and I find it is completely unreasonable to me that it is this difficult to return a TV. I talked to USAA today regarding the situation but their system was down and they couldn’t do anything except listen to my frustrations. I will call back tomorrow and start the process of filling a formal charge dispute with Samsung.
post #3428 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by QledBeta View Post
Try various configurations to see what works best for you. Connect the anthem to the OCB using the ARC ports on each device. Then try various configurations to see what works best. For instance, you might connect one console and the cable box to Anthem while connecting the other console to OCB. I think you are just going to have to play around a bit. Report back with your findings.
Well the ocb only has one arc. Does that matter? I don’t know how to set up arc though. I have to connect the consoles etc to the ocb. From ocb arc port to anthem mrx720 arc. Then just leave the Anthem on that I guess. And in anthem settings I guess I enable arc for that port. In Sammy ui there’s no arc name so I don’t get it. I forget though.

I don’t like this because I won’t have my receiver ui and that’s necessary. So I guess I can’t get any gaming features from any tv. Crapola. So then there’s no point in any tv to replace my E6.
post #3429 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
I don’t like this because I won’t have my receiver ui and that’s necessary. So I guess I can’t get any gaming features from any tv. Crapola. So then there’s no point in any tv to replace my E6.
Not really on topic but the C9/E9 have eARC.
post #3430 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haevolution View Post
It is on topic to me because, well, I don’t know what eARC is and how that would help me.
post #3431 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
It is on topic to me because, well, I don’t know what eARC is and how that would help me.
Well its ARC with an e! eARC Explained

Seriously wish the Q90 had it but I ordered one anyway.
post #3432 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep. Off topic. eARC does nothing for me. Anyway. Back to ui issues. But I may be wrong about ui and arc not doing what I need. I don’t know what I’m doing here.

I’ll just play with it. But I’m not keeping my Sammy. It’s just too bright and lowering brightness ruins the picture for me. And colors are too soft in destiny two. Well the colors/picture is different then my E6. And I’m not saying the Sammy picture quality is bad. I’m just used to OLED and I don’t have to turn down the brightness so it’s better for me.

I may end up just keeping my E6. I don’t consider the Sammy to have a better picture. It’s just different. Just my opinion. No tv last year was better either. Just different.

Sorry. No mean to ruffle feathers.

Last edited by buggs1a; 04-29-2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #3433 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Yep. Off topic. eARC does nothing for me. Anyway. Back to ui issues. But I may be wrong about ui and arc not doing what I need. I don’t know what I’m doing here.

I’ll just play with it. But I’m not keeping my Sammy. It’s just too bright and lowering brightness ruins the picture for me. And colors are too soft in destiny two. Well the colors/picture is different then my E6. And I’m not saying the Sammy picture quality is bad. I’m just used to OLED and I don’t have to turn down the brightness so it’s better for me.

I may end up just keeping my E6. I don’t consider the Sammy to have a better picture. It’s just different. Just my opinion. No tv last year was better either. Just different.

It's Backlight, not Brightness, that you need to lower. When you lower Brightness it does lower your picture quality so try lowering your Backlight closer to 0 and leave the Brightness at default 0.
post #3434 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
It's Backlight, not Brightness, that you need to lower. When you lower Brightness it does lower your picture quality so try lowering your Backlight closer to 0 and leave the Brightness at default 0.
That’s what I was talking about. Sorry I used the wrong word. If I lower brightness nothing happens. I lower backlight to 20 it’s not too bright but loses the picture quality. It’s a barker picture so to me don’t look that great. Well, I am not sure how to describe it. Sorry.

I like the tv. I guess I’m just so used to my E6 that maybe I’m scared of a new one because it’s different. And I have real bad anxiety disorder and ocd. Real bad too. And I’m not good with change. I also have asperger syndrome which is possible that is why I don’t think the Sammy looks better. Sometimes it’s hard for me to distinguish differences. You can put in front of me two similar pictures. But I won’t be able to tell any difference unless the difference is big. I was tested long time ago and they did that. Said the pictures were different but they looked exactly the same to me.

I feel bad.
post #3435 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
That’s what I was talking about. Sorry I used the wrong word. If I lower brightness nothing happens. I lower backlight to 20 it’s not too bright but loses the picture quality. It’s a barker picture so to me don’t look that great. Well, I am not sure how to describe it. Sorry.

I like the tv. I guess I’m just so used to my E6 that maybe I’m scared of a new one because it’s different. And I have real bad anxiety disorder and ocd. Real bad too. And I’m not good with change. I also have asperger syndrome which is possible that is why I don’t think the Sammy looks better. Sometimes it’s hard for me to distinguish differences. You can put in front of me two similar pictures. But I won’t be able to tell any difference unless the difference is big. I was tested long time ago and they did that. Said the pictures were different but they looked exactly the same to me.

I feel bad.
You should not feel bad. Just keep the E6 because it works well for you. Sounds like the Q90R may not be the correct TV for you as its too bright.
Terminader likes this.
post #3436 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

I feel bad.
Thought I'd chime in here as I had a similar experience going from an E6 as well to an LCD (a Sony in my case, but it was a tossup between Sony and Samsung and I'm curious about the Q90R's, which is why I was in here). Hope nobody minds me chiming in as I just noticed this particular discussion and thought I had something relevant to add. I'm also a bit OCD about this type of thing, so I can relate.

Like you, I think I may have gotten used to the Automatic Brightness Limiting of the OLED, whereby you can have a higher overall brightness for highlights in SDR, but extremely bright scenes (ie. all white backgrounds or solid bright colors) actually dim down because the OLED panel can't handle it. So in some ways, you're seeing the picture being dimmed instead of as it's actually *meant* to be displayed with an OLED. Plasmas (which was my TV prior to OLED) did this too.

So when I moved to an LCD that could display full brightness for everything, I seared my eyes out when an ad would come on, during animation, or in a bright scene. These LCD's are capable of much higher nits than anything before them, and this generation is the first TV where I can't just turn off the Light Sensor and keep brightness at default because it will blind me; I never even messed with backlight on any previous TV because they were never bright enough that I felt I had to. So there IS an adjustment period, especially if you're used to Auto Brightness Limiting and not being able to stay at default brightness settings.

My advice is to turn off all the extra processing (including any processing to try to make the picture more HDR-like). Then pause a bright white background and adjust to as high as you can comfortably look at (keep in mind you may have to switch it up a few times as your eyes will adjust if you stare at it too long; you want the first few seconds you see it to be reasonably comfortable). Once you dial that in, try to get used to the "dimmer" backlight brightness. You may actually find you're seeing more detail and the way things are meant to be instead of the way you're used to. For example, scenes with an overcast sky may look darker, but in a way where you're like "Oh...it should look like that since it looks more natural." I'm still watching brighter than the 100-nits reference (I'm estimating my current brightness setting to be somewhere between 150-200 nits; I don't have a meter at the moment to measure), and some of it is down to user preference, but I think you can find a setting you'll like better. If you have trouble telling two pictures apart yourself, perhaps have a friend or family member help you dial it in.

Also, keep in mind for HDR content, the E6 has the opposite problem; it'll never be able to show you the highlights as well as something like these sets, so if you do watch HDR, you'd be giving that up.

Not trying to give you more anxiety, but I wouldn't give up quite yet if I were you as the Q90R looks like a great set from all accounts, and there certainly should be a way to find a setting you like. At the end of the day though, you have to do what looks good to you. Good luck!
post #3437 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:

You are not ruffling any feathers. This is the type of real world end user experience that one hopes to find on these forums.
Terminader and Sensamix like this.
post #3438 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by huttyhawk View Post
They took it without asking.
I would call the delivery company and ask them to get you another box. They should be able to come up with another box after a few days of deliveries.
Terminader likes this.
post #3439 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Firmware 1065 installed. Haven't detected any changes. Any notice anything?
post #3440 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:

I installed it too and unfortunately it did not fix the local dimming bug with the built in apps when in hdr standard mode. Also did not fix the bug in sdr movie mode and local dimming high which is too dark.
post #3441 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I like the high brightness, gleaming bright whites and and great upscaling for sports on this tv. Are you coming from an old tv or smaller tv? Those will perform better with low bit rate sources. As far as dse goes, if you are noticing it from dead center watching regular content, that’s a problem. Either you lost the panel lottery, or you are more sensitive than I am which in that case would call for a lower zone tv, edge lit, or oled.

Coming from a Samsung plasma. Which is still at my parents place, watched some sport there the other day and DSE was almost non-existent.

Up until now, on my Q90 I've been watching HD FTA sport (low framerate, looks poor) or streaming a local sports service in 1080/50fps. But today I just received my replacement pay TV box which broadcasts in 1080/50fps. Still noticing some DSE.

Am thinking about trying to return it and going with an OLED if it completely eliminates this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmithking View Post
What level of DSE is acceptable or normal on these sets? I have a 75" (FA02) and two 65"s (AA01s). The all have 5%/50% grey uniformity like or slightly better than the model reviewed on Rtings. Still, I'm concerned that 1) I somehow managed to get three bad panels, 2) you all are getting god panels directly from Samsung, or 3) we have different definitions of a "little" DSE.

In normal SDR/HDR content, everything is fine. I can watch a 4K movie, news, or an episode of GoT or House or Cloak & Dagger and not see any DSE at all. In fact, I only see DSE when I watch hockey, pan the sky in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, or move a large Windows window on a Q90R I'm using as a giant monitor. The DSE I see looks like faint little smudges here and there, like a Jackson Pollock painting. Is that an expected level of DSE?

I upgraded from two KS8000s. They have banding, vignetting, light bleed, blooming, shallow blacks that create "grey" letterboxing, etc., but their defects never bothered me. Since I have no other experience with a FALD panel, I don't know if my Q90Rs are atypical.
Yours sounds the same as mine, same AA01 panel and it's just in sport, sky/similar light scenes. Other high res content looks fantastic on it though!

Last edited by >500; 04-29-2019 at 10:46 PM.
post #3442 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmithking View Post
What level of DSE is acceptable or normal on these sets? I have a 75" (FA02) and two 65"s (AA01s). The all have 5%/50% grey uniformity like or slightly better than the model reviewed on Rtings. Still, I'm concerned that 1) I somehow managed to get three bad panels, 2) you all are getting god panels directly from Samsung, or 3) we have different definitions of a "little" DSE.

In normal SDR/HDR content, everything is fine. I can watch a 4K movie, news, or an episode of GoT or House or Cloak & Dagger and not see any DSE at all. In fact, I only see DSE when I watch hockey, pan the sky in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, or move a large Windows window on a Q90R I'm using as a giant monitor. The DSE I see looks like faint little smudges here and there, like a Jackson Pollock painting. Is that an expected level of DSE?

I upgraded from two KS8000s. They have banding, vignetting, light bleed, blooming, shallow blacks that create "grey" letterboxing, etc., but their defects never bothered me. Since I have no other experience with a FALD panel, I don't know if my Q90Rs are atypical.

Wow you’re spot on with this. My KS8000 had all those issues and never bothered me either, but DSE wasn’t one of the issues it had. I was really upset when I first ran the DSE tests on my Q90 and saw some, but I don’t notice it on normal content unless I’m REALLY looking for it. Over all, I have nothing to complain about as this TV is a million times better than my KS800. Like another member said, this is the best LED tv I’ve owned and I’m enjoying the hell out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WannaBinHD, sd13 and Terminader like this.
post #3443 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by >500 View Post
Coming from a Samsung plasma. Which is still at my parents place, watched some sport there the other day and DSE was almost non-existent.

Up until now, on my Q90 I've been watching HD FTA sport (low framerate, looks poor) or streaming a local sports service in 1080/50fps. But today I just received my replacement pay TV box which broadcasts in 1080/50fps. Still noticing some DSE.

Am thinking about trying to return it and going with an OLED if it completely eliminates this?

Yours sounds the same as mine, same AA01 panel and t's just in sport, sky scenes or other similar light scenes. Other high res content looks fantastic on it though!
OLED will definitely be more uniform, but maybe you got a bad panel cause mine shows no noticeable dse in real life content.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #3444 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
OLED will definitely be more uniform, but maybe you got a bad panel cause mine shows no noticeable dse in real life content.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
^
Sorry I was referring to sports with the content viewed on my pay tv box, not regular content.
post #3445 of 5317 Old 04-29-2019, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are not ruffling any feathers. This is the type of real world end user experience that one hopes to find on these forums.
I thank you and the others so very much. I get concerned since I’ll mention not keeping it and mention another tv that’s not the Q90R.

I’m crying right now possibly because I just don’t know what to do. I did just take down the tv and put mine back. I’m already noticing bit more saturated color like red. My Xbox home screen is red. Nicer on my E6 and the Sammy is soft. In Destiny 2 the blue / purple looks good but everything else soft. Hazy compared to my E6. On my character home screen that has all your weapons and armor. The colors of the square icons are definitely softer on the Sammy. It’s in game mode native color. But it don’t help using other color options.

The Sammy is way too bright. Little bright spots are way way too bright. Just a small spot of white or brightness color is wow bright. Everything is more even on my E6. I don’t ever notice the E6 or Sammy auto lower brightness. I’m not aware at all. They seem to stay the same.

I think it’s just LCD/LED is too bright. They don’t need to get this bright in my opinion. However lowering the backlight ruins the picture if it’s much lower. I never changed any default settings on my E6. Just use Expert dark and when I play a game it auto changes to HDR Game mode. Then auto changes back to expert dark back on my Xfinity. I have everything connected to my Anthem MRX 720. So I don’t know why the Sammy won’t do this and I don’t know why my E6 does. Odd.

I’m interested in the LG C9 and the Sony A9G sounds ok. But the Sony don’t seem to have any gaming features and if it’s the same as last year then you have to manually change to game mode and back to move every single time. Ugh!!!! Lol.
post #3446 of 5317 Old 04-30-2019, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
[QUOTE=buggs1a;57975306]
Quote:
I think it’s just LCD/LED is too bright. They don’t need to get this bright in my opinion.
Qled and hdr are definitely not for you. Hdr requires nits of at least 1000. So hdr tvs literally have to be this bright to properly present hdr. I personally love it, particularly when gaming, and thought C8 oled was way too dim (literally oled is unable to accurately display hdr due to low nits). To each, their own

Last edited by Donald Graham; 04-30-2019 at 03:25 AM.
post #3447 of 5317 Old 04-30-2019, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

I dont know if its just me, but for me since 1065, it seems like the top letter box area black looks greyish with bright object when watching letterbox movies in HDR.

I am at max backlight and standard local dimming, contrast enhancer off.
post #3448 of 5317 Old 04-30-2019, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Has anyone tried ambient mode since the firmware update? I've been afraid to try it out since the early reports of getting stuck in a weird brightness mode. I accidentally hit the ambient button on the remote once, and experienced the same thing... the show we were watching seemed washed out after exiting ambient mode. I was able to get it back to normal by going into the ambient mode settings and toggling the auto brightness setting, but others had reported having to do a settings reset to fix it, so I've avoided experimenting with it.
bjorktribe likes this.
post #3449 of 5317 Old 04-30-2019, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
I installed it too and unfortunately it did not fix the local dimming bug with the built in apps when in hdr standard mode. Also did not fix the bug in sdr movie mode and local dimming high which is too dark.
Yes, I noticed the same thing, 1065 unfortunately did not fix those bugs.

Quote:
Has anyone tried ambient mode since the firmware update? I've been afraid to try it out since the early reports of getting stuck in a weird brightness mode. I accidentally hit the ambient button on the remote once, and experienced the same thing... the show we were watching seemed washed out after exiting ambient mode. I was able to get it back to normal by going into the ambient mode settings and toggling the auto brightness setting, but others had reported having to do a settings reset to fix it, so I've avoided experimenting with it.
Afraid to hit that "ambient" button because last time I had to factory reset the TV to get back to normal...

post #3450 of 5317 Old 04-30-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Donald Graham;57975514]
Quote:

hdr are definitely not for you.
Uhhhh, ok. I love HDR.

Last edited by buggs1a; 04-30-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page