2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 133 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4546Likes

post #3961 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonvr6 View Post
has anyone tried the new update yet? Says its available in their press release.

Would love to not have to get an apple tv for airplay.

https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...-and-airplay-2
Nice catch...still no update here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesd View Post
Nice catch...still no update here.
Mine didn't have an update. The app just appeared in the app catalog.
post #3963 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Can someone in Europe with the silver metal remote post the model of the remote? It's probably in the battery cover. I'm interested in possibly ordering one to replace the cheap plastic one we got in the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3964 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 612
So, I returned my 75” Z9F this morning. This 82” Q90R is a keeper!

What a massive improvement this set is over the Q9FN. All off the issues that I had with the Q9FN are gone on the Q90R. DSE gone, FALD inconsistencies gone, cartoony colors gone, black crush gone, poor viewing angles gone. Great job Samsung! I’m so glad that I didn’t right them off after the hot mess that was the Q9FN.

The Q90 vs the Z9F is a much closer call, but ultimately the Q90 won me over with its stellar anti-reflection filter and better blooming control. The Z9F panel uniformity was a hair better, but the Q90 really surprised me with how clean it is, so no complaints there. Blacks are a bit deeper on the Q90, but honestly I was already satisfied with the blacks on the Z9F. Shadow detail is still a hair better on the Z9F, but I will take the trade off to get better blooming control, not that the Q90 is a slouch with shadow details. Brightness is roughly equal in real content and the viewing angles are practically identical. The Z9F is more accurate OOB, but colors seem to be about equal in vibrancy. Motion is great on both sets and tbh, I don’t see much to choose between them. Blooming is still present on the Q90 and I would actually put it somewhere between the Q9FN and Z9F in LD aggressiveness. They really did do a great job on the Q90R’s FALD algorithm, as I feel that it strikes the perfect balance between retaining shadow details, without adding excessive blooming. Now on to the star of the show...the anti-reflection really does steal the show for the Q90 imo. Watching dark content during the day on the Z9F was basically out of the question in my semi bright room, but on the Q90 I can watch darker content during the day without too much issue. Sorry, I don’t have any comment on gaming, as I wasn’t able to test it on either set. All of this being said, these 2 sets are more similar than they are different, but the overall nod for me does go to the Q90R. It’s just so well rounded, without any major weaknesses, unless you consider the lack a Dolby Vision a major weakness. I certainly wouldn’t pass on this set for a lack of DV, as you would only be doing a disservice to yourself by not giving the Q90R a serious look.

Just some brief, non scientific, thoughts there folks. As these thoughts were coming into my head, I was quickly typing them out, so my apologies for the complete lack of structure. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try my best to answer.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #3965 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For those interested: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...t-tvs.2181138/

Works fine on my 75". I have firmware version 1065. I am expecting a new firmware version to add native Airplay 2 support, but the Apple TV app is working great natively on the TV.
Terminader likes this.
post #3966 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post
I finally got my 75" Q90R from Amazon and i was happy with it until I noticed vignetting/shadow effect around the edges of the TV on the brighter scenes. Now that I have noticed the effect, i cannot 'unsee' it and it is annoying! Also, upon further inspection, i have a yellowish blotch in the upper right corner of my screen. Hard to make it come through on my phone's camera but it is there.

I'm thinking i need to return this TV and try another one but is this stuff common and am i being too picky? Seems like at this price point, i shouldn't have to worry about these glaring defects!

Below are some pictures -- i got the FA02 version of the panel.
How do we check our panel version? I also have a 75".
post #3967 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaglty View Post
Mine didn't have an update. The app just appeared in the app catalog.

Thanks I was assuming a change in firmware but I also have the Apple TV app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3968 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

What a massive improvement this set is over the Q9FN. All off the issues that I had with the Q9FN are gone on the Q90R. DSE gone, FALD inconsistencies gone, cartoony colors gone, black crush gone, poor viewing angles gone. Great job Samsung! I’m so glad that I didn’t right them off after the hot mess that was the Q9FN.

The Q90 vs the Z9F is a much closer call, but ultimately the Q90 won me over with its stellar anti-reflection filter and better blooming control. The Z9F panel uniformity was a hair better, but the Q90 really surprised me with how clean it is, so no complaints there. Blacks are a bit deeper on the Q90, but honestly I was already satisfied with the blacks on the Z9F. Shadow detail is still a hair better on the Z9F, but I will take the trade off to get better blooming control, not that the Q90 is a slouch with shadow details. Brightness is roughly equal in real content and the viewing angles are practically identical. The Z9F is more accurate OOB, but colors seem to be about equal in vibrancy. Motion is great on both sets and tbh, I don’t see much to choose between them. Blooming is still present on the Q90 and I would actually put it somewhere between the Q9FN and Z9F in LD aggressiveness. They really did do a great job on the Q90R’s FALD algorithm, as I feel that it strikes the perfect balance between retaining shadow details, without adding excessive blooming. Now on to the star of the show...the anti-reflection really does steal the show for the Q90 imo. Watching dark content during the day on the Z9F was basically out of the question in my semi bright room, but on the Q90 I can watch darker content during the day without too much issue. Sorry, I don’t have any comment on gaming, as I wasn’t able to test it on either set. All of this being said, these 2 sets are more similar than they are different, but the overall nod for me does go to the Q90R. It’s just so well rounded, without any major weaknesses, unless you consider the lack a Dolby Vision a major weakness. I certainly wouldn’t pass on this set for a lack of DV, as you would only be doing a disservice to yourself by not giving the Q90R a serious look.

Just some brief, non scientific, thoughts there folks. As these thoughts were coming into my head, I was quickly typing them out, so my apologies for the complete lack of structure. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try my best to answer.
I'm glad you are enjoying it as much as I am. I thought my eyes were deceiving me in the beginning after reading all the early reports of poor contrast, low color etc. I bought mine with zero expectations after such a horrible experience with the q9fn. I was shocked when I found the picture quality to edge out even the mighty z9d (to my eyes at least). Anyways, glad you got a good panel and are enjoying it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #3969 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems most of the 82" panels are very good panels. Kind of proves rtings wrong when they say the bigger the panel the more uniformity issues they have.
Terminader, gocubs418 and Lyner like this.
post #3970 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:

Thanks for the mini-review. I am guessing you are the only poster on AVS who owned both of these sets at the same time, so your impressions have the most credibility. What other sets have you owned recently and how does the Q90R compare?
Terminader and Lyner like this.
post #3971 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems most of the 82" panels are very good panels. Kind of proves rtings wrong when they say the bigger the panel the more uniformity issues they have.
I think what they mean is that if two panels have equal uniformity, the larger panels will appear worse.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #3972 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

How would you compare the upscaling of lower def content amongst the 3?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
post #3973 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Thanks for the mini-review. I am guessing you are the only poster on AVS who owned both of these sets at the same time, so your impressions have the most credibility. What other sets have you owned recently and how does the Q90R compare?
I’ve gone through quite a few in the last year and a half...A1E, Q9FN, 900F, C8, Z9F and Q90R.

It’s still early, but the Q90 is the best of the bunch so far.
Terminader likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #3974 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodysj View Post
How would you compare the upscaling of lower def content amongst the 3?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
I still give Sony an ever so slight nod with the majority of the lower def upscaling. It’s funny though, because with some content I find the Sony does a better job and then other content the Samsung. Either way, it’s close enough to be a non factor.

post #3975 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaglty View Post
Can someone in Europe with the silver metal remote post the model of the remote? It's probably in the battery cover. I'm interested in possibly ordering one to replace the cheap plastic one we got in the US.
I did not know this. I thought the 90r came with the same silver metal remote like the Q9FN does in the U.S. I am still debating (trying to convince the wife) on getting the 90R myself and it really is sad to hear that the 2019 comes with a cheap controller while last years model received a very good one.

-Hawkmoon
post #3976 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12691 Post(s)
Liked: 11951
Quote:

In previous years, this was indeed the case, especially with edge lit tvs. But since rtings does not review large size tvs, they would have no way of knowing that Samsung's larger tvs now have better Grey uniformity than the 65s which is super odd. The 65s do have the advantage of slightly better blacks though.
post #3977 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy311 View Post

Works fine on my 75". I have firmware version 1065. I am expecting a new firmware version to add native Airplay 2 support, but the Apple TV app is working great natively on the TV.

Airplay seems to work now.

post #3978 of 6401 Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello all you on the fence...

So I'm in the market for a new TV. My KS9800 was returned to Samsung as they were unable to repair a poor display issue. Good for me as they refunded me my purchase price. So, this last weekend I took a 8 hour trip to my closest best buy store to do some comparisons between the new Q90R and the LG C9. Well after some comparisons and playing some movies (best buy was very accommodating). Played the dark knight and the new Black Panther and I was very impressed with the dark levels of the q90r. Even the best buy (Magnolia) manager was impressed by how great the new samsung q90r displayed the dark scenes. At one point we had a hard time telling the difference. By the way I visited about 8 best buys stores, and only one store plugged in a blu-ray player to test these tv's. So after two days of viewing, I have decided to pull the trigger on the q90r. So for anyone reading this who is on the fence between OLED C9 and C8 models, take my word for it, and purchase the Q90R model.
I will update this thread once I officially become the new owner of the flagship model.
Terminader likes this.
post #3979 of 6401 Old 05-14-2019, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I’ve gone through quite a few in the last year and a half...A1E, Q9FN, 900F, C8, Z9F and Q90R.

It’s still early, but the Q90 is the best of the bunch so far.
Since you have had both, i wanted to ask ... how bad is the blooming on the z9f vs Q90R? since am still trying to decide... i want the ZG9 but I think its too expensive and would rather have 4K 75inch if possible so stuck between these two sets. Also how bad is the low contrast on z9f vs q90r?? i can get the z9f for way cheaper than the samsung.
post #3980 of 6401 Old 05-14-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesteaux View Post
Airplay seems to work now.

My Sharp tv in the family room was over 10 years old so all of my "smart tv" features were done through the Xbox. I am really enjoying the new features.

- This weekend, our family was using Chromecast to throw Youtube videos we were watching to plan for our upcoming vacation. Using Chrome on our laptop or phone is seamless.
- Last night I did the same thing on my Mac using Airplay to share 4K videos on the screen. I didn't realize it would give me 2-screen functionality. And move windows between the laptop and tv seamlessly. Laptop screen is 13" so moving a window over to a 65" screen is a nice option.
post #3981 of 6401 Old 05-14-2019, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Now on to the star of the show...the anti-reflection really does steal the show for the Q90 imo. Watching dark content during the day on the Z9F was basically out of the question in my semi bright room, but on the Q90 I can watch darker content during the day without too much issue.

I got to see the X-wide (albeit on a 950G) yesterday and there is no way I will be able to handle the reflections in my room with that technology. So the Z9F and 950G are out because of that. Now to decide if I want a Q90R (with excellent reflection handling) and deal with its individual shortcomings or just wait another year.
BRAC likes this.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #3982 of 6401 Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Go for the 82", worry about 2 years in 2 years.
I guess haha I only want the bird in the hand if it is 33% off though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Go 82. I wonder how beneficial the upgrade program really is to a consumer. I get how it helps Samsung make more money.
It gives me 0% financing for 36 months and 33% off the sticker price if I choose to upgrade in 2 years. I'd say that's a pretty good deal. Additionally I receive an education discount and the $1k gift card they are offering right now.

At the end of the day the difference is $90/mo between the 75" and 82". I guess I will just go 82" and worry about it in 2 years haha
Terminader likes this.
post #3983 of 6401 Old 05-14-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
How do we check our panel version? I also have a 75".
I found the panel version on the side of the box on the same sticker that shows serial # etc. If you don't have the box anymore, maybe try the back of the TV where it shows serial # info.
post #3984 of 6401 Old 05-14-2019, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
I guess haha I only want the bird in the hand if it is 33% off though.

It gives me 0% financing for 36 months and 33% off the sticker price if I choose to upgrade in 2 years. I'd say that's a pretty good deal. Additionally I receive an education discount and the $1k gift card they are offering right now.

At the end of the day the difference is $90/mo between the 75" and 82". I guess I will just go 82" and worry about it in 2 years haha
whats this 1K gift card you speak of? I am not seeing that on the EPP site.
post #3985 of 6401 Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Hey All,

I am deciding between the 75" and 82" versions through Samsung's upgrade program. I really want the 82" version but my fear is that the upgrade program requires the next TV you upgrade to be of equal or greater value than the first.

In my set-up I cannot fit an 85", so essentially I have to hope that Samsung will release an 82" or below that costs the same (or more) in two years? Looking at their 2017 and 2018 flagships the only option was a 65" or 75".

Does anyone have any input? It seems that the 75" is the way to go if I want to upgrade in 2 years and the 82" is high risk.

I am coming from a 75" Sony X940c so I am sure I will be happy with either, but more happy with the 82 haha

Thanks,

Tony
I think if you went 75" you would regret it for 2 years for sure.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Go for the 82", worry about 2 years in 2 years.
2 years is not promised to anyone, sad to say

Quote:
You would have to test 5 units of every size to do a true test, it is always luck of the draw. I will say uniformity seems to be better for LED's and OLED's this year
Terminader and Todeseng3l like this.
post #3986 of 6401 Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkie57 View Post
whats this 1K gift card you speak of? I am not seeing that on the EPP site.
Attached, it is available to me in the US. If I go through with the purchase I will probably put it up for sale at $800.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gift CardJPG.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2566638  
post #3987 of 6401 Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Attached, it is available to me in the US. If I go through with the purchase I will probably put it up for sale at $800.

That is for the Q900 8K. They don't offer that on the Q90 4K.
twinkie57 likes this.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #3988 of 6401 Old 05-14-2019, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Do you think the Apple TV app is working great? I was super excited for this because it would mean I would no longer need a dedicated Apple TV on my television. I did a side by side comparison of my ATV4K vs the Apple Tv App. I did a few test scenes switching inputs on Aquaman 4K HDR. The Apple TV App looks downright awful in comparison. It looks like 1080p SDR. The movie on the ATV4K was sharper, cleaner, more vibrant, and higher dynamic range.

I am unsure how to check if it was actually 1080p/SDR through the Apple TV app since I don't know how to bring up input info using a TV app, since the center button is used for other things. If someone else knows how to do this, that would be great!

I hope I'm just missing something because at it stands now, I'm going to continue using the ATV4K until the ATV App looks equal in quality. I hope I'm just doing something wrong, but I dug through the settings on the App and it seems I was unable to change resolution or SDR/HDR.

Does anyone have any ideas or have experienced similar?
post #3989 of 6401 Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
That is for the Q900 8K. They don't offer that on the Q90 4K.
Ooops, that's embarrassing. It appears I am in the wrong thread My discussion was related to the 75" vs 85" 8K versions. Sorry!
twinkie57 and Terminader like this.
post #3990 of 6401 Old 05-14-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Ooops, that's embarrassing. It appears I am in the wrong thread My discussion was related to the 75" vs 85" 8K versions. Sorry!
While I am here... the 82" Q90 price is much more attractive than the Q900 haha. Is there any difference between these sets beside the resolution and HDMI 2.1 support? Has anyone had the chance to compare them side by side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page