2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4019Likes

post #4201 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok3206 View Post
Anyone here with both 65 Q9FN and Q90?
In dark room?

I cant compare them in store in demo mode at light.

Unfortunately Q9FN is sold out and i must buy Q90 here in Croatia.
Only opened boxes and showroom models left...

I have Q9FN and planed one more for other room but now its too late.
I owned the Q9FN and now own the Q90 -- I recommend the Q90 unless there is a large difference in price. From my experience, the finished product on the screen of how the Q90 processes video is far superior to what i had with the Q9FN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When I watch a full white fullscreen picture on my Q90R 75": at the edges there is a small decrease of brightness, it's a bit darker at the edges, and it almost looks like it's a tiny tiny bit red at the edges.
Is it normal or is there something wrong with my TV?
post #4203 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird_CaD_ View Post
When I watch a full white fullscreen picture on my Q90R 75": at the edges there is a small decrease of brightness, it's a bit darker at the edges, and it almost looks like it's a tiny tiny bit red at the edges.
Yes, it is common to this TV unfortunately and a known issue -- the TV is darker around the edges. My TV has more of a yellow tint that is visible on one of the edges and many others report a blue tint depending on the content.

I will add that i went to Costco the other day and saw that both the Q60 and Q70 panels suffer from the same defect so it's not just the Q90. Some people speculate that it has something to do with the extra layer added for wide angle viewing but that doesn't seem to be the case since the lower models also have the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post
Quote:
Yes, it is common to this TV unfortunately and a known issue -- the TV is darker around the edges. My TV has more of a yellow tint that is visible on one of the edges and many others report a blue tint depending on the content.

I will add that i went to Costco the other day and saw that both the Q60 and Q70 panels suffer from the same defect so it's not just the Q90. Some people speculate that it has something to do with the extra layer added for wide angle viewing but that doesn't seem to be the case since the lower models also have the issue.
Oh my God I'm so glad and relieved to hear that. Thanks.
My nightmare would've been "yes there must be something wrong with your TV."
Because it wouldn't be fun to hassle with exchanging it/getting it repaired. Just getting the TV up on it's stand etc. was a pain in the as*.

I don't really mind the issue that much because it's not visible in normal viewing.
But of course, I'm not saying that Samsung shouldn't try to fix the issue. Samsung: fix it! Hehe.

Last edited by Blackbird_CaD_; 05-23-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #4205 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I had the 65” Q90R. I liked it but it was too bright. My room is dark. Very little light. OLED is better for this but has its own issues I guess. I have a question. I don’t have the Q90R now but thinking about trying it again. I have the E6 65” which is great in every way but has handshake issues with my system.

Anyway. My E6 is set for Expert Dark. Default settings. HDR game mode default settings. Tv not too bright. Not too dark.

The Q90R. I had it in a similar movie mode. Default settings. HDR game default settings. Both too bright.

With the Q90R I made it darker. With the backlight. Not brightness setting. However doing this ruined the picture. I’d like to know why? It isn’t as bright of course. But why did the picture get worse? Just because it’s darker? I don’t have to lower the E6 OLED light. So it looks fine. But on the Q90R if I try to make it close to my E6 how bright they are, it ruins the picture for me.

I don’t understand why this is.
post #4206 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Someone had a great explanation of this, possibly vincent. It is normal, vignetting especially noticeable on bright white.

If you watch his review, it will point this out directly.

Last edited by gocubs418; 05-23-2019 at 11:57 AM.
post #4207 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
this is what everyone assumes, but according to some pros and also Samsung themselves, they are different. Samsung says the proper way to watch on their tvs is turning on Custom and setting them to 0/0.
As soon as I saw this post, I went right to my DVR and fired up the Today show (I recorded) with the local crawl. I set Auto Motion Plus to Custom 0/0. It again introduced periodic stuttering to the crawl that I noticed previously... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post58064678

I have to keep the setting to OFF...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #4208 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
I had the 65” Q90R. I liked it but it was too bright. My room is dark. Very little light...
We're in an opposite position. A lot of light... windows everywhere. Wifey was "complaining" our new 82" Q90R was too bright. It IS very bright. No complaints from me so far...
Terminader likes this.

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #4209 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
We're in an opposite position. A lot of light... windows everywhere. Wifey was "complaining" our new 82" Q90R was too bright. It IS very bright. No complaints from me so far...
When the TV shifts over to HDR mode on Apple TV 4K menu, I feel like I am looking into a light cannon. It is SO bright. After the HDR source begins, it adjusts properly.
virtualshave likes this.
post #4210 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
When the TV shifts over to HDR mode on Apple TV 4K menu, I feel like I am looking into a light cannon. It is SO bright. After the HDR source begins, it adjusts properly.
The recommended setting for the ATV4K box is the have it set to 4K SDR 60hz. Then, under Match Content set both Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate to On. The menu won’t be so blinding when you set it this way and content will still play as it should.
ionblue likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #4211 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
The recommended setting for the ATV4K box is the have it set to 4K SDR 60hz. Then, under Match Content set both Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate to On. The menu won’t be so blinding when you set it this way and content will still play as it should.
Oh really. Interesting. I will have to make the change over tonight. Thanks
BRAC and saenzo like this.
post #4212 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
I had the 65” Q90R. I liked it but it was too bright. My room is dark. Very little light. OLED is better for this but has its own issues I guess. I have a question. I don’t have the Q90R now but thinking about trying it again. I have the E6 65” which is great in every way but has handshake issues with my system.

Anyway. My E6 is set for Expert Dark. Default settings. HDR game mode default settings. Tv not too bright. Not too dark.

The Q90R. I had it in a similar movie mode. Default settings. HDR game default settings. Both too bright.

With the Q90R I made it darker. With the backlight. Not brightness setting. However doing this ruined the picture. I’d like to know why? It isn’t as bright of course. But why did the picture get worse? Just because it’s darker? I don’t have to lower the E6 OLED light. So it looks fine. But on the Q90R if I try to make it close to my E6 how bright they are, it ruins the picture for me.

Too bright? That is like saying my car is too powerful or I am making too much money. TV's, even OLED are on a quest to make brighter displays...look at your E6 and compare it to the E7, E8 & E9, they have slowly increased brightness level for each version just like LCD TV's. It is an "odd" complaint about the Q90R being "too bright". But at the end of the day, as a consumer/owner it is comes to your personal preference on what is "too bright".

-Hawkmoon
post #4213 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 09:06 PM

I did the old grey subtitles tonight. Had zero issues with GoT S1 E7 in 4K HDR. Loving this TV more and more each day. The wintery scenes are stellar.

My toddler watches this show "Word Party", it's essentially vibrant characters bouncing around on a pure white background. It's painful to watch both the content and the TV going through pain. Lol.
Terminader likes this.
post #4214 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Anyone else tried doing HDR calibration of their Q90R in Movie/Warm2? So far, I'm finding both the 20 pt White Balance controls and the Custom Color Space controls are largely ineffective. Wondering if others are seeing the same.
post #4215 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 12470 Post(s)
Liked: 11661
Quote:
I don’t have any issues with blooming in SDR. The blooming I’m talking about is with HDR content and mostly just with streaming apps, like Netflix and Amazon. Even 4K HDR Bluray is generally very good. Samsung does a great job with the standard size 2.35 letterbox bars, but not so good with the small bars you get in a lot of the Netflix and Amazon content.

Subtitle blooming is rare enough to not bother me and I don’t find it that bad anyway.
the streaming apps are the worse offenders. I believe this is mostly because of a low bit rate. I've also noticed with lcd tvs(and I've seen other people in other threads also say it), that very old content also tends to be bloomy and messy looking.
Mikejl likes this.
post #4216 of 5143 Old 05-23-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 12470 Post(s)
Liked: 11661
Quote:
I don’t have any issues with blooming in SDR. The blooming I’m talking about is with HDR content and mostly just with streaming apps, like Netflix and Amazon. Even 4K HDR Bluray is generally very good. Samsung does a great job with the standard size 2.35 letterbox bars, but not so good with the small bars you get in a lot of the Netflix and Amazon content.

Subtitle blooming is rare enough to not bother me and I don’t find it that bad anyway.
for me, this is undeniable proof that the issues with the blacks and widescreen bars is something on Netflix's end.

I did some experiments last fall with my Q9FN because of the horrible small widescreen bars. I found that even when I Shrank the picture down using my Oppo, I could still induce bleed indo the bars but the bleed literally stopped within the actual picture. this actually insane control of "fake bleed". look how it's absolute black outside of the shrunken picture. if this was a problem with the actual TV, that bleed would definitely extend farther outside of the source frame.

notice 1 picture is at full frame and the rest are shrunken using my Oppo.

75Q9FN* Oppo 203/UB820*S10+*DenonX4200
Cuthalu likes this.

75Q9FN*55C8OLED*Galaxy S10+ *Ub820 fed into Oppo 203* XB1X* 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #4217 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 490
@ray0414

Thanks for the post and the pics. Very strange indeed.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #4218 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Repost so hopefully someone that will actually have a helpful response can do so.
post #4219 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Repost so hopefully someone that will actually have a helpful response can do so.
Could it be your sensitive to bright lights?
post #4220 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm worried. Spoke with Samsung after getting my 65 inch q90r Tuesday, and they're replacing my panel due to gray uniformity and and DSE. That's great of them, but now I'm scared I could get worse. Is my panel that bad? Am I obsessing? Pics here

https://ibb.co/WvB417j
https://ibb.co/rx4z5BV
https://ibb.co/sjmWbLY
https://ibb.co/0sST6SL
https://ibb.co/tm2pjH6
https://ibb.co/hYnW8qJ
https://ibb.co/Xs2Sdn2
post #4221 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Could it be your sensitive to bright lights?
Naa. It’s just such an incredibly bright tv for my space. But the picture is ruined when I darken it to be close to my OLED. And I don’t understand why. The OLED is already darker and looks ok. But making the Q90R close to my OLED ruins the quality a bit. Weird.
post #4222 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDean1285 View Post
I'm worried. Spoke with Samsung after getting my 65 inch q90r Tuesday, and they're replacing my panel due to gray uniformity and and DSE. That's great of them, but now I'm scared I could get worse. Is my panel that bad? Am I obsessing? Pics here

https://ibb.co/WvB417j
https://ibb.co/rx4z5BV
https://ibb.co/sjmWbLY
https://ibb.co/0sST6SL
https://ibb.co/tm2pjH6
https://ibb.co/hYnW8qJ
https://ibb.co/Xs2Sdn2
I think only you can decide on what you can tolerate.

Side note, it amazes me how the 82" Panels are almost all DSE free (within reason, from what I have seen). They knew it was too expensive to **** those up
Terminader likes this.
post #4223 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by huttyhawk View Post
Did you get your TV calibrated for HDR and SDR or just SDR?

What are your post calibrated settings.
I have calibrated SDR via I1Pro - display pro. I can share settings later but I am still fighting with gamma, ... I just silly hope i can stop so much darkscene (5-10% of picture in larger area - like low candle light around room) blooming. I did CALNIGHT with apl18%; cal day window18%. Everything reference even with gamma.... but blooming is still there. even if i give you settings, for your pannel your should be absolutely different in terms of white balance and cms.
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by Ramiell; 05-24-2019 at 10:43 AM.
post #4224 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramiell View Post
I have calibrated SDR via I1Pro - display pro. I can share settings later but I am still fighting with gamma, ... I just silly hope i can stop so much darkscene (5-10% of picture in larger area - like low candle light around room) blooming. I did CALNIGHT with apl18%; cal day window18%. Everything reference even with gamma.... but blooming is still there. even if i give you settings, for your pannel your should be absolutely different in terms of white balance and cms.
I wish I could find an affordable calibrator in Dallas.
post #4225 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 07:12 PM

I'm torn between Movie and Standard.
post #4226 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I like the pop you get from standard. Plus you get another 400 or so nits brightness than you do from movie.
post #4227 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just got my Q90R 82" delivered by BestBuy (after almost 4-week wait) and the screen is cracked. There is like a curved crack about 3 inches below the upper edge halfway between the left side and the center and then a straight along the upper edge from there into the corner. The entire screen wobbles as if it's not attached to anything except along the edge. I'm freaking out that BestBuy will say I broke it because I cannot see how it could have been broken like that with the box intact. Maybe something heavy was put on top of it or something. I only took the upper part of the box off and took off the foam wrapper to check the screen. So pissed. I moved my 4yo 78" samsung 3 times across country by myself and it's perfect.

So what do I do from here? Call bestbuy?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1,012.8 KB
ID:	2571348  

Last edited by maxl; 05-24-2019 at 07:43 PM.
post #4228 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaglty View Post
I like the pop you get from standard. Plus you get another 400 or so nits brightness than you do from movie.
I do like the pop for sure. I decided to stick with Slickman settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxl View Post
Just got my Q90R 82" delivered by BestBuy (after almost 4-week wait) and the screen is cracked. There is like a curved crack about 3 inches below the upper edge halfway between the left side and the center and then a straight along the upper edge from there into the corner. The entire screen wobbles as if it's not attached to anything except along the edge. I'm freaking out that BestBuy will say I broke it because I cannot see how it could have been broken like that with the box intact. Maybe something heavy w

So what do I do from here? Call bestbuy?
Sorry to hear mate, definitely call Bby
Slickman likes this.

Last edited by gocubs418; 05-24-2019 at 08:25 PM.
post #4229 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I think Movie mode is awful. Unusable. White looks like yellow, etc.
post #4230 of 5143 Old 05-24-2019, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Sorry to hear mate, definitely call Bby
Called Bestbuy and they did not make it difficult and agreed to a replacement right away. Kudos to them. I think I figured out how it could have broken - the place where all the cracks start is exactly under the edge of the TV stand that was in the package attached near that area. If the TV was dropped, the heavy stand could have pushed itself into the screen edge even despite styrofoam.

Anyway, when getting these TVs delivered, check the screen, ideally with shippers present. Apparently, they can be damaged even with the box completely intact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page