2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 144 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4291Likes

post #4291 of 5737 Old 05-27-2019, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
As of this weekend I'm a proud owner of a 75Q90R. My first new TV in 10 years, so I'm far from an expert. I've been casually following this topic for weeks, thanks for all the info. This is an amazing viewing experience and of course there are always some points that don't work quit the way you expected/hoped. I'll have to dive into those in more detail or just have to learn to live with it.

But there is one thing I noticed that threw me off quit a bit. The anti-reflective filter works like a charm for light directly in front of the TV. But it seems to have a major drawback in my viewing situation. In the day I have a bright room, with the TV+couch directly next to a big glass sliding door towards our small garden to the right of the TV. However, at the end of the day, when the sun is low and behind some buildings, there apparently is a rather big contrast between our darker fence and the lighter blue sky. An I suspect due to the filter on the TV, or maybe it is the viewing angle layer, this contrast is picked up from all horizontal viewing angles. Even when I sit between the TV and the garden, it seems the filter still reflects some light back to me. This results in a brighter smear which is pretty noticeable in darker scenes. See pictures. The only way counteract this is to close the curtains (or stand up which makes the vertical angle such that the sky is no longer reflected). And closing the curtain I rather not do during the day just to watch TV. In fact that is one of the reasons I went with QLED instead of Oled. I might have to think about wall-mounting it and tilting it slightly downwards. Anyone else experience this?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rEwtEk4.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	652.9 KB
ID:	2572622   Click image for larger version

Name:	HngAJxY.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	665.8 KB
ID:	2572624   Click image for larger version

Name:	DgO2DEL.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	884.0 KB
ID:	2572626  

Last edited by ReeY; 05-27-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxl View Post
Called Bestbuy and they did not make it difficult and agreed to a replacement right away. Kudos to them. I think I figured out how it could have broken - the place where all the cracks start is exactly under the edge of the TV stand that was in the package attached near that area. If the TV was dropped, the heavy stand could have pushed itself into the screen edge even despite styrofoam.

Anyway, when getting these TVs delivered, check the screen, ideally with shippers present. Apparently, they can be damaged even with the box completely intact.
Ordered our 82" thru Amazon. Because of an address mess up and to make the delivery window time, a manager of the shipping company loaded our TV into the back of his lifted pickup truck (we were told another shipping vehicle when called), traveled about 30 minutes to get here. He's by himself (mid-50s-ish) with just a hand truck when I go outside and watch in disbelief to what's happening. Box was torn up in two separate spots... refused delivery on the spot. No way we were taking ANY chance of damage.

Amazon sent out a new one... received it one week later with a $200 Amazon (inconvenience promotional) credit...

Knowing now how sturdy the box is when I unboxed the second TV, that first box went thru some hell to get torn up like we saw.

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #4293 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDean1285 View Post
Anyone have sound issues? I have someone coming to replace my panel as I think the gray uniformity is below acceptable for be, and now I get to sound whatsoever. Not even menu sounds. I like Samsung, I love this TV, this is an extremely disappointing experience so far
Update for those who care:

Spoke to support and somehow the sound came back last night, only to go out again this morning. Spoke with support again with no luck, and since i already had another ticket out for the panel replacement (poor gray uniformity), they're now replacing the entire unit.

Happy that Samsung is making the effort, but not a great experience so far. Forgetting all the issues, I truly love the TV, so fingers crossed this unit will be better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4294 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDean1285 View Post
Update for those who care:

Spoke to support and somehow the sound came back last night, only to go out again this morning. Spoke with support again with no luck, and since i already had another ticket out for the panel replacement (poor gray uniformity), they're now replacing the entire unit.

Happy that Samsung is making the effort, but not a great experience so far. Forgetting all the issues, I truly love the TV, so fingers crossed this unit will be better.

Are you able to get panel replacement under warranty after the two week return window passes? I feel like my gray uniformity is horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4295 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I got my 75" Q90R on Saturday. I'm blown away by the speed of the OS of the TV. I love that apps keep on running in the background even when you run another app. Somehow the TV's remote controls my Xbox One X. I don't know how, since the Xbox One X doesn't support HDMI-CEC?

The brightness of this TV is incredible. HDR was made for this TV.

I'm still trying to find a picture setting setup that I like the best. I've turned off AMP altogether and it seems fine to me, but I have yet to see what the sliders do.

The anti-reflective filter on the TV really helps eliminate reflections in my bright room. I am really quite happy with it.

The remote is kind of cheap for a TV of this price. I would prefer more buttons. My Harmony doesn't seem to have the dedicated Netflix button in its database for this TV.

I feel like I won the panel lottery. The gray uniformity is excellent. My phone's camera seems to exaggerate it some, and it still looks fantastic.

post #4296 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6518 Post(s)
Liked: 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
Box was torn up in two separate spots... refused delivery on the spot. No way we were taking ANY chance of damage.

Knowing now how sturdy the box is when I unboxed the second TV, that first box went thru some hell to get torn up like we saw.
Box damage happens, does not mean the TV is damaged on the inside. A fun fact, TV's are damaged 1% of the time, I would say 50% of this 1% come in a perfect box. I understand why you rejected it, just wanted to point this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

I feel like I won the panel lottery. The gray uniformity is excellent. My phone's camera seems to exaggerate it some, and it still looks fantastic.
That does look real good
post #4297 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Box damage happens, does not mean the TV is damaged on the inside. A fun fact, TV's are damaged 1% of the time, I would say 50% of this 1% come in a perfect box. I understand why you rejected it, just wanted to point this out.
To the extent of "damage" to the box AND the fact how it was delivered, no way I was going to accept that TV. All that jostling... and I dropped over 6K w/ tax??? No way...
CaptinCrunch and Terminader like this.

Robert F Corbin

post #4298 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesteaux View Post
Are you able to get panel replacement under warranty after the two week return window passes? I feel like my gray uniformity is horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe so. Originally it was scheduled as a repair they ordered for me to replace only the panel after working with support to troubleshoot the picture (an annoying process, as unplugging the TV has surely never improved gray uniformity, but they gotta check the boxes on their end I suppose). I used twitter to contact Samsung support as it was easier for me to provide pictures and fortunately i got someone who said they they saw what I was seeing with the gray uniformity. Sent them pictures of various DSE tests from YouTube

Hope my replacement is much better and that it works out for you too! Way too expensive a TV to just "deal with it"
Terminader likes this.
post #4299 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
I'm going to have to contact support. Mine keeps shutting off from what seems like "inactivity" but everything is routed through my receiver. The first 2.5 weeks I've had the TV it didn't do this, then all the sudden it's been doing it the last week.
I noticte that it happens to me whenm I am gaming at [email protected], I am not sure if I have seen it happen when watching TV. Let us know whatsupport says.
post #4300 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by huttyhawk View Post
I noticte that it happens to me whenm I am gaming at [email protected]
What are you using to drive it at [email protected], are you using a custom resolution?
post #4301 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
for those that have the 82" or the 75"........how far are you sitting from the screen
I'm trying to decide which size to get
My main viewing seats are about 14' away from the screen. One chair is about 4' off center, and the couch is about 4' off center on the opposite wall
A love seat is about 15' away from the screen dead center.
The tv will be on a stand which is 68" wide. The 75", is 66" wide and the 82" is 72" wide. Not sure if I am comfortable with the tv being larger than the stand.

Is there a consensus of which panel is preferred at each size"

Remembering Dad's passing 01/16/2017

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #4302 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
for those that have the 82" or the 75"........how far are you sitting from the screen
My main viewing seats are about 14' away from the screen. One chair is about 4' off center, and the couch is about 4' off center on the opposite wall
The tv will be on a stand which is 68" wide. The 75", is 66" wide and the 82" is 72" wide. Not sure if I am comfortable with the tv being larger than the stand.

I am sitting around 12 ft away with an 82", I feel it is perfect at this distance.

I think 75" is probably more than enough, but 82" feels right.
ionblue and Terminader like this.
post #4303 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12573 Post(s)
Liked: 11746
Quote:

It's very common nowadays for tvs to be wider than the stands. I currently have a 75" TV on a 50" stand.
post #4304 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 553
I am sitting ~10ft from my 82” and it’s great. Remember, the closer you are to the screen, the more that 4K resolution will benefit you.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #4305 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
What are you using to drive it at [email protected], are you using a custom resolution?

I am using a PC playing PUBG. I use the NVIDIA control center to change the resolution and HZ.
post #4306 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I use the NVIDIA control center to change the resolution and HZ.
The Nvidia control panel doesn't offer me anything above 60Hz at native 4k resolution, for any color format. HDMI 2.0b doesn't include a standard 2160p120 format, AFAIK. Did you create a custom resolution to force it? Are you using 8-bit YCbCr 4:2:0?
post #4307 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

I only sit 9-10 feet from the tv. I let the enthusiasts here talk me into a 75” Q90. Best decision ever.

If you have the coin, definitely go for the 82” if you sit 14’ away.

My 75 sits on a 26” wide stand that I beefed up a little. No issues.

Last edited by Boatguy; 05-28-2019 at 06:45 PM.
post #4308 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I got my 75 Q90 today, but unfortunately the shipper AGS damaged it in the lower right corner. The screen is broken. I couldn't see it until I removed the tv from the box. The styrofoam is broken on that corner and the lower portion of the box has taken some damage. Lame. Just initiated the return process with Samsung via chat. Hopefully they can get me an undamaged tv in a timely manner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190528_222409_1559099893247.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	2572954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190528_222400_1559099906822.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	2572956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190528_221639_1559099923623.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	3.75 MB
ID:	2572958  
post #4309 of 5737 Old 05-28-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
The Nvidia control panel doesn't offer me anything above 60Hz at native 4k resolution, for any color format. HDMI 2.0b doesn't include a standard 2160p120 format, AFAIK. Did you create a custom resolution to force it? Are you using 8-bit YCbCr 4:2:0?

I use 8-bit YCbCr 4:2:0 with output range limited (in the NCP make sure to scroll all the way down on the resolution to the PC settings, they are at the bottom after "Ultra HD, HD, SD settings"). You need to make sure that you change the input on the Samsung TV from PC to something else like gaming console. This is critically important because if you don’t do that you will not get 120hz. Also make sure you do not enable game mode and have the input plus enabled on that HDMI input. I have my HDMI cable going straight to the OCB and then ARC to AVR, I am not 99.9% sure that you have to do it that way instead of taking the HDMI to AVR to OCB.
Someone else here posted about this but it is important that you use the UFO frame rate checker to verify that your TV is properly displaying at 120hz AND without skipping frames:

https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping
https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate

For some reason if you have it in game mode and or it is labeled as a PC you will not be running at true 120hz, it will skip frames. Again use the UFO tests to confirm.

Let me know if this works for you, you will be able to get the smooth frames at 4K but no HDR. Also what games are you playing?
post #4310 of 5737 Old 05-29-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
That’s strange. Is your one connect box in a well ventilated area? Just a thought, but maybe it’s engaging a protection mode. I’ve seen this happen with various AVR’s when they get too hot.

I thought that too so I moved the OCB to an open cubbie in my entertainment center. It happened 2x while my son was playing XBOX yet I watched an entire movie on my Nvidia Shield without issues. It seems intermittent.
post #4311 of 5737 Old 05-29-2019, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Let me know if this works for you, you will be able to get the smooth frames at 4K but no HDR.
Ah, now I get it, the key is that you have to choose PC resolution 3840x2160, not Ultra HD resolution 3840x2160. Thanks. For me it was curiosity, as I think I'd rather play 60Hz with full 4:4:4 color.
post #4312 of 5737 Old 05-29-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought that too so I moved the OCB to an open cubbie in my entertainment center. It happened 2x while my son was playing XBOX yet I watched an entire movie on my Nvidia Shield without issues. It seems intermittent.

I’ve heard of this happening to a few people while they’re gaming. I have yet to try gaming on my Q90, so hearing about this makes me a little nervous.

post #4313 of 5737 Old 05-29-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

IMO... it depends. We're just over 13' away with the new 82" on the stand. When hung, it'll be over 14'. ANY 4K material will/does look great on it... no problems. Watching cable/sat, etc is different. I've notice that I'm able to see more compression "stuff" than on previous 65" Sammy from 2010. Sooo... how much 4K will you be watching vs cable/sat stuff? In our situation we have a large, wide-open space that flows into the kitchen nook and kitchen (almost 50' long). It's working out great. Would I have been happy with the 75" not knowing how the 82" looks? Probably...

We also are getting a new console for under the TV. It'll be 79" long. We think it'll look great. Your stand will be two inches short on each end. The salesman at the fancy furniture store said make sure the console was LONGER than the width of the TV. It really didn't matter what he said. His store happen to be the local dealer for this particular console. We were going to get it no matter what...
Terminader likes this.

Robert F Corbin

post #4314 of 5737 Old 05-29-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’ve heard of this happening to a few people while they’re gaming. I have yet to try gaming on my Q90, so hearing about this makes me a little nervous.

I'm currently watching the GoT Documentary on the Roku 3. Every 20 minutes, the TV is shutting off. It's almost like the econo settings but they're all off. I timed it too, it's every 20 minutes. I have everything routed through my AVR. I know it's the TV doing it because I can hear the show still going on after it's shut off. So I have to pause it, turn the TV back on, then pick it up again. REALLY annoying. Again, I watched a 2hr movie this morning without issue, so I don't know what the cause is.

Last edited by Stryker412; 05-29-2019 at 08:11 AM.
post #4315 of 5737 Old 05-29-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm currently watching the GoT Documentary on the Roku 3. Every 20 minutes, the TV is shutting off. It's almost like the econo settings but they're all off. I timed it too, it's every 20 minutes. I have everything routed through my AVR. I know it's the TV doing it because I can hear the show still going on after it's shut off. So I have to pause it, turn the TV back on, then pick it up again. REALLY annoying. Again, I watched a 2hr movie this morning without issue, so I don't know what the cause is.

Every 20 minutes? Almost sounds like your set is on a timer.

post #4316 of 5737 Old 05-29-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0305 View Post
I got my 75 Q90 today, but unfortunately the shipper AGS damaged it in the lower right corner. The screen is broken. I couldn't see it until I removed the tv from the box. The styrofoam is broken on that corner and the lower portion of the box has taken some damage. Lame. Just initiated the return process with Samsung via chat. Hopefully they can get me an undamaged tv in a timely manner.
AND THIS is why I didn't accept our first delivery (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post58107326). I feel I made the right decision. Had to wait an extra week for the replacement from Amazon...
Terminader and glock17er like this.

Robert F Corbin

post #4317 of 5737 Old 05-29-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
AND THIS is why I didn't accept our first delivery (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post58107326). I feel I made the right decision. Had to wait an extra week for the replacement from Amazon...
Good choice! I have to say, Amazon has been excellent with buying and returning TVs -- 0 hassle, 0 questions asked -- i don't know why I would ever buy anywhere else... except maybe Costco...lol
Terminader likes this.
post #4318 of 5737 Old 05-29-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Every 20 minutes? Almost sounds like your set is on a timer.

I would agree but it's not happening with each source.
post #4319 of 5737 Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hello everyone, figured I'd add a mini review/impressions to hopefully assist anyone. Let me preface by saying I am not an expert, simply an enthusiast as many here, and my opinions are of course my own and will vary by owner.

I previously had a C6 OLED (Miss the 3D on this) at my family's house, but I recently moved out and got a good deal on the Q90. My new place has a relatively bright room with nearby Windows. I also feared burn in from gaming despite not having it on the C6. I simply did not want to babysit the TV anymore. My biggest reasons to jump back to LCD were highlights, longevity, and the upscaling.

Pros:

Upscaling - This is fantastic. Cable shows I watched on Netflix and regular TV look much better on the Q90. Closeups have so much detail at times, it seems higher quality than the source. Honestly, I always found the scaling the weakest point of my C6. This is with sharpness at 0. Raising it a bit with certain content can make it look even crisper. I have yet to try watching sports (mostly soccer), but general the TV looks great. I read somewhere that it makes nearly anything you watch on it look better, and I definitely agree.

Colors - Quantum dot is fantastic and makes the image pop. Really enjoy the vibrancy of reds and other bright colors, especially in HDR. I watched John Wick 2 in UHD the other day and certain scenes at night with multiple street lights looked fantastic. easily as bold as my OLED with colors like red popping much more.

Gaming - It's great not worrying about burn in. Highlights look fantastic, games look great, and game mode makes input lag fantastic. VRR works with my Xbox One, but I have yet to try. Their are multiple settings to improve games from motion to shadow detail as well, making it perfect for games IMO. I have played on Xbox one X and PS4 Pro so far.

Middle Ground:

Black levels - I'll start by saying these are great for an LCD. If the room has any ambient light, and the content doesn't have a weird aspect ratio (certain Netflix series), the blacks look as great as my OLED. Blooming does exist, regardless of what anyone says. I'm happy to say it does not bother for the most part. It tends to be very minor and infrequent, and even non jet black bars are still deep and uniform. What counts for me is the content on the screen, and it all looks fantastic. In a pitch black room, you may get a bit with subtitles, but it is not bothersome (for me). This mostly occurs in HDR. the bars are not as black as OLED in pitch black, but dark enough in my opinion. The blacks do impress me for an LCD though, and I have to say are the least of my concerns with this TV. Shadow detail is great, and the actual image is fantastic and does not have me longing for an OLED. My phone (Galaxy Note 8) is also OLED, so I believe I have been spoiled by them. If its not bothering me here, I'd say its great.

UI: Not so much a middle-ground issue, but I do really like LG WebOS. It is very easy and slick. I will say Samsung's UI is quick and has a much better app selection. I also really like the Samsung remote being able to control most devices connected (even Xbox), and it recognizes and switches to most devices when powered on. It can also be controlled through Smartthings which is nice. I'd say its close to WebOS in ease of use, while providing more functions.

OneConnect: I simply wish this were smaller and produced less heat. Aside from that, I have the Q90 wall mounted, making one thin cable from the TV fantastic. Adding inputs is also much easier.

Cons:
DSE - My only real con is DSE. This panel is much cleaner than many LCDs I have seen, but the DSE will get you if you are used to a clean OLED panel. I only really notice this on wide pans with solid colors, or playing soccer games (PES19 and FIFA 19). My panel is great enough that I don't want to bother going through a return, but I do wish manufacturers found a way to eliminate this. I believe I am getting used to it though, and it is not a really big deal. Not having the banding on near black from OLED is nice though.

Samsung is doing great with this TV. I found the motion better than my C6 and am very satisfied. If Microled fixes DSE and introduces perfect black all the time while being even brighter, I can't imagine wanting more out of a TV.

To go with most pros out there, if you only watch in a very dark room all the time, go with OLED. I hear the C9 has similar up-scaling and believe C8 is better than my C6 as well. If you watch TV during the day, with lights, and game, go for this. It does all of it well, and will still look fantastic for that dark room movie on the weekends. All without the risk of burn in.
post #4320 of 5737 Old 05-29-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post
Good choice! I have to say, Amazon has been excellent with buying and returning TVs -- 0 hassle, 0 questions asked -- i don't know why I would ever buy anywhere else... except maybe Costco...lol
Amazon also gave me a $200 promotional credit for my inconvenience. Is it true that sets sold thru Costco, BJs, Walmart, etc have less/limited features?

Robert F Corbin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version