2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4031Likes

post #4321 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone of you use Google Chromecast?
Sometimes I want to view video from my phone on the TV but my only option is to use screen mirroring (smart things).
I think casting would be better than screen mirroring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
I would agree but it's not happening with each source.
These OCB’s do generate a ton of heat.

One suggestion...if you have a spare fan laying around, maybe try placing it a foot or two away blowing direct air at the OCB to see if it makes a difference.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #4323 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiphill View Post
Hello everyone, figured I'd add a mini review/impressions to hopefully assist anyone. Let me preface by saying I am not an expert, simply an enthusiast as many here, and my opinions are of course my own and will vary by owner...
Just want to say that I 100% agree with everything you wrote here. It matches exactly what I have seen with mine. Love everything except some DSE that I see when watching sports that I'm learning to live with.
Fujiphill and Ernesteaux like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4324 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6394 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
for those that have the 82" or the 75"........how far are you sitting from the screen
I'm trying to decide which size to get
My main viewing seats are about 14' away from the screen. One chair is about 4' off center, and the couch is about 4' off center on the opposite wall
A love seat is about 15' away from the screen dead center.
The tv will be on a stand which is 68" wide. The 75", is 66" wide and the 82" is 72" wide. Not sure if I am comfortable with the tv being larger than the stand.

Is there a consensus of which panel is preferred at each size"
14FT all day I wouold go with the 82" I watch a 80" from 10FT and 110" from 15FT.......I wish they where bigger too! 3" over hang is not much on your stand, I would not worry about that for one moment.
post #4325 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
Amazon also gave me a $200 promotional credit for my inconvenience. Is it true that sets sold thru Costco, BJs, Walmart, etc have less/limited features?
I can't speak for BJs and Walmart but the TVs sold at Costco are the same as what you get anywhere else. Unfortunately Costco only carries the Q60 and the Q70 from Samsung.

The reason i like to buy from Costco is because they extend the manufacturers warranty for 1 year for free and then an additional year if you buy with their credit card. They also have a no questions asked 90 day return period on electronics which is better than 30 days from Amazon.
Terminader likes this.
post #4326 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
I’ve heard of this happening to a few people while they’re gaming. I have yet to try gaming on my Q90, so hearing about this makes me a little nervous.
I've had the TV for a couple months, game a while bunch, and this hasn't happened. My OCB is well ventilated though, being open on all sides and with 8" clearance on the top. Does anyone know if it has a fan? With the PSU inside I'd be a little surprised if it didn't.
BRAC likes this.
post #4327 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0305 View Post
I got my 75 Q90 today, but unfortunately the shipper AGS damaged it in the lower right corner. The screen is broken. I couldn't see it until I removed the tv from the box. The styrofoam is broken on that corner and the lower portion of the box has taken some damage. Lame. Just initiated the return process with Samsung via chat. Hopefully they can get me an undamaged tv in a timely manner.
Any luck getting a replacement?

My 82" Q900 ordered directly from Samsung came in with a bent screen (still functional though). After talking to three Samsung reps I was told I have to return the damaged TV and wait 14-21 days for a refund and then re-order a new one.

What a bunch of horse****. I ordered a TV because I wanted it now, not next month. On Sunday the Samsung rep put in a ticket for her supervisor to contact me, I haven't heard back since. I filed a claim with the BBB which it seems they are responsive to (they reply as 'Samsung Electronics America, Office of the President) and will more likely get me my desired outcome of a set-swap than going through their support directly.
post #4328 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
These OCB’s do generate a ton of heat.

One suggestion...if you have a spare fan laying around, maybe try placing it a foot or two away blowing direct air at the OCB to see if it makes a difference.

Here's how it's setup now. I originally had it in the enclosed pillar on the top shelf with the DirecTV box. I have since moved it underneath the TV in that open cubbie with no change.

https://imgur.com/poATJji
post #4329 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjowoods View Post
Just want to say that I 100% agree with everything you wrote here. It matches exactly what I have seen with mine. Love everything except some DSE that I see when watching sports that I'm learning to live with.

Same here. It’s my first time experiencing DSE and I’m having a hard time understanding what a “clean panel” is. Even when people post pictures of their “clean panels” I tend to see some. I guess we all have different tolerances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4330 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird_CaD_ View Post
Sometimes I want to view video from my phone on the TV but my only option is to use screen mirroring (smart things).
I've tried Chromecast a few times from my browser and it works really well.
post #4331 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesd View Post
I've tried Chromecast a few times from my browser and it works really well.
And really like the AirPlay feature.
post #4332 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
Here's how it's setup now. I originally had it in the enclosed pillar on the top shelf with the DirecTV box. I have since moved it underneath the TV in that open cubbie with no change.

https://imgur.com/poATJji
That should be plenty of space for proper cooling.

I would still try a fan blowing on it though, just to see if it’s a heat issue or not.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #4333 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
I do a fair amount.

Best way is an app that has built in casting such as BEin Sports Connect. Quality is awesome and very responsive.

Next best way, if you have a Samsung phone, is Smart View. See attached, lower right corner. Mirrors your screen really well including landscape. There's also an app, but I don't find it reliable.

LocalCast app is a decent third party app worth a try if the suggestions above don't work.
Mikejl likes this.
post #4334 of 5173 Old 05-29-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
Ah, now I get it, the key is that you have to choose PC resolution 3840x2160, not Ultra HD resolution 3840x2160. Thanks. For me it was curiosity, as I think I'd rather play 60Hz with full 4:4:4 color.
PUBG isn't in HDR and I can not tell a difference in color between 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 but I can tell a huge difference between 60hz and 120hz. I wonder if it is just me.
post #4335 of 5173 Old 05-30-2019, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
Quote:
I got my 75 Q90 today, but unfortunately the shipper AGS damaged it in the lower right corner. The screen is broken. I couldn't see it until I removed the tv from the box. The styrofoam is broken on that corner and the lower portion of the box has taken some damage. Lame. Just initiated the return process with Samsung via chat. Hopefully they can get me an undamaged tv in a timely manner.
Any luck getting a replacement?

My 82" Q900 ordered directly from Samsung came in with a bent screen (still functional though). After talking to three Samsung reps I was told I have to return the damaged TV and wait 14-21 days for a refund and then re-order a new one.

What a bunch of horse****. I ordered a TV because I wanted it now, not next month. On Sunday the Samsung rep put in a ticket for her supervisor to contact me, I haven't heard back since. I filed a claim with the BBB which it seems they are responsive to (they reply as 'Samsung Electronics America, Office of the President) and will more likely get me my desired outcome of a set-swap than going through their support directly.

No I'm in the same boat as you. I have to ship it back today, then wait up to 10 days after they receive the tv to get a refund. Then I get to order another tv and hope AGS doesn't damage this one. Samsung's policy is irritating. I'm sure they do it to prevent fraud but the waiting 2 plus weeks is outrageous.
post #4336 of 5173 Old 05-30-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Currently researching for my next purchase and curious whether the one connect box cable is rated for in-wall applications? I'm assuming the box can be mounted in a cabinet, if so, how warm does it get? Thank you.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #4337 of 5173 Old 05-30-2019, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Currently researching for my next purchase and curious whether the one connect box cable is rated for in-wall applications? I'm assuming the box can be mounted in a cabinet, if so, how warm does it get? Thank you.

Reading back a couple of posts it is stated that it gets hot. The OCB on my KS8000 got very hot.

Reading back over the last few pages shows that the new cable is not in-wall rated because it carries the power, but a number of people are running that way regardless.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #4338 of 5173 Old 05-30-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Reading back a couple of posts it is stated that it gets hot. The OCB on my KS8000 got very hot.

Reading back over the last few pages shows that the new cable is not in-wall rated because it carries the power, but a number of people are running that way regardless.
Thank you...well that eliminates the Q90R.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #4339 of 5173 Old 05-30-2019, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
No I'm in the same boat as you. I have to ship it back today, then wait up to 10 days after they receive the tv to get a refund. Then I get to order another tv and hope AGS doesn't damage this one. Samsung's policy is irritating. I'm sure they do it to prevent fraud but the waiting 2 plus weeks is outrageous.
haha right? We paid Samsung a significant amount of money for them to deliver a non-damaged product to our homes. Samsung is the one that didn't hold up their end of the bargain and now they are worried about us trying to scam them?

The whole thing is maddening, rather than continuing the fight for a replacement I should probably just send it back and play their game. I'm still holding out hope though.

Good luck with the next one, may the AGS odds forever be in your favor
post #4340 of 5173 Old 05-30-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Q9FN to Q90r... or Sony 900f?

Thanks to all the great information in this thread. I was hoping folks could offer their advice here:

I recently purchased a 65 inch Q9FN that suffered from bad DSE. I spoke with Samsung support (who was actually great to deal with) and they agreed to replace the Q9FN with a 65 inch Q90r.

My concerns are:
1) Is the new Q90r going to suffer from the same DSE as the Q9FN? I've still seen mixed reports on the uniformity of the Q90 series, but in general it appears to be better.. true?
2) I actually saw bad motion artifacts on the Q9FN. I had Auto Motion Plus enabled with Blur Reduction set to 5 and Judder Reduction set to 3.. so maybe that was my issue. Should I expect the Q90r to handle motion the same as the Q9FN?

I'm debating switching to a Sony 900f instead, which handles DSE and Motion better, but with a little less "punch" to the picture in my opinion. Silly to consider such a switch?

Sidenote: I found the Q9FN to almost be blindingly bright when viewing in a dark room. I had to drop the backlight to 8-10 under these conditions.. is this expected? Have folks found a universal backlight setting that can be applied to day and night viewing, or is it just expected to have to adjust the backlight based on your room/lighting conditions? (and yes, I'm aware of the ECO option, but I don't like the TV auto controlling the brightness based on perceived room settings).

Thanks for any advice folks can offer.
post #4341 of 5173 Old 05-30-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdonnel View Post
Thanks to all the great information in this thread. I was hoping folks could offer their advice here:

Sidenote: I found the Q9FN to almost be blindingly bright when viewing in a dark room. I had to drop the backlight to 8-10 under these conditions.. is this expected? Have folks found a universal backlight setting that can be applied to day and night viewing, or is it just expected to have to adjust the backlight based on your room/lighting conditions? (and yes, I'm aware of the ECO option, but I don't like the TV auto controlling the brightness based on perceived room settings).

Thanks for any advice folks can offer.
I can't compare to other sets so my comments on your main concerns probably won't matter much. That brightness though... I lower mine to 10 at night for SDR. If you want to leave it at one setting, 15 is enough to defeat indirect reflections but may be too bright at night. If you have any that get straight to your screen, 25-30 works for me.
Terminader likes this.
post #4342 of 5173 Old 05-30-2019, 08:56 PM

I have difficult to decide if I should buy a 4K blu-ray player (Panasonic DP-UB9000) for my Q90R 75", or if I should just stick to streaming.
The player would cost me $1100.
post #4343 of 5173 Old 05-31-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
I have difficult to decide if I should buy a 4K blu-ray player (Panasonic DP-UB9000) for my Q90R 75", or if I should just stick to streaming.
What about an Xbox One X?

I did the same thing many years ago when the Sony Playstation 3 was a cheaper blu-ray than a standalone option. These consoles are essentially subsidized with the plan to make profit on games and accessories.
post #4344 of 5173 Old 05-31-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I did the same thing many years ago when the Sony Playstation 3 was a cheaper blu-ray than a standalone option. These consoles are essentially subsidized with the plan to make profit on games and accessories.
Nah. I never play games. And the Panasonic has better picture quality.
Hm, I think I'll buy the Panasonic. Netflix etc. is also lacking many titles (Netflix in Sweden has fewer titles than Netflix in USA).
post #4345 of 5173 Old 05-31-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
The major advantage for that top-end Panasonic player is it's ability to adjust the playback for displays (such as front projectors) that cannot reach 4000 nits of brightness. The Q90R will easily do 2000 nits and there is little to be gained from the capabilities of the UB9000.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC top front, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #4346 of 5173 Old 05-31-2019, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I have wondered recently about how much more 'perceptible' image quality one would get from one of the high end blu ray players vs. the Xbox One X. I would think that a high end gaming system has all the bells and whistles to put it on par but i could be wrong.
post #4347 of 5173 Old 05-31-2019, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
You might want to check out the Panasonic DP-UB820. I don't think it's been out a year yet and is a great blu-ray player that supports 4K Ultra HD, including HDR10+. It MSRP's for $499.99

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
post #4348 of 5173 Old 05-31-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Jagged Images...

Noticed another picture issue. The crawl on NBCSN was almost unreadable and when our local weather guy moved fast against the radar image "behind" him that his head would get jagged for a second. With AMP and DCV OFF I was VERY concerned. After some tinkering, I landed on Film Mode (a few options below DCV and AMP). Film Mode is for older video sources (Component and 1080i HDMI) to look smoother. It was set for Auto 1. When I turned it off, it "fixed" the issue. I can't remember if I initially set it or that setting was the default. Soooo... if you're watching something with a crawl and it's jaggy (not blurry or judder), try this setting... NBCSN was bad for me...
Terminader likes this.

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #4349 of 5173 Old 05-31-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
Quote:
The major advantage for that top-end Panasonic player is it's ability to adjust the playback for displays (such as front projectors) that cannot reach 4000 nits of brightness. The Q90R will easily do 2000 nits and there is little to be gained from the capabilities of the UB9000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
Quote:
You might want to check out the Panasonic DP-UB820. I don't think it's been out a year yet and is a great blu-ray player that supports 4K Ultra HD, including HDR10+. It MSRP's for $499.99
I'll buy the UB820 instead. I'll save $580. Thanks.
Mikejl and Ted99 like this.
post #4350 of 5173 Old 05-31-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 114
After going back and forth, I decided to grab the 3 Year warranty from Costco on the 82Q90R. Peace of mind for 3.2% of purchase price at bad. Crazy how they can price all TVs over $1000 at $99 dollars.
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page