2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4542Likes

post #421 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvhunter View Post
Agreed. Sounds like hockey, soccer, and golf are good test cases from what I'm reading. But more importantly evaluate the TV based on the quality of the image for material that you actually watch. To hell with slides. Why torture yourself looking for problems you wouldn't otherwise know exist when watching your normal viewing material?
I find that most uniformity issues always show themselves on Football (Soccer) as there is a awful lot of panning following the Ball .. always pick out Banding on OLEDS even if it does not show on other content .. as for slides let the kids play on them.. if issues are present they will make themselves known.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxs_dad View Post
Well I wanted it flat...the silver screw in standoffs had no place to screw in on my model and I didn’t use the magnets. Furniture pads seemed less invasive so happy with the outcome. FWIW there were reports in the thread on last year’s model about dealing with this same tilt.
I DON'T know if you have already been asked and replied .. but how are you finding your Q90R PQ wise, apologises if you have already.
post #423 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has there been any news whether the q90r will get a hdmi 2.1 oneconnect box upgrade like the q900?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Quote:
Right but we have another owner stating it has horrible DSE here and returned the tv, granted with NO pics. That joker on youtube says his q90r has vertical banding and dse but again, never showed it once.

If there is any owners out there, can you please do those of us that are holding out ordering the q90r, post some grey screens?

Having delt with many q9’s (2017 and 2018 models) with bad dse that was distracting in all content, I am very heistant to purchase a q90r until I start to see that there is no dse or vertical banding.
From the mixed early reports, I don't understand how you can conclude there is no panel lottery on the Q90 until we've had a much larger statistic of owner reports (unless you're paying for questions-free-return-policy [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]).
All tvs have panel lottery, what I am trying to say is I would like to get more reports with actual pictures showing what the DSE and vertical banding would be on these. Even with that there is a large chance I could get a panel that is worse or the same etc.

Do you not remember what the 2017 Q9 looked like when it came out? It literally had vertical jail bars and that was a $6k tv when launched! They did have a firmware update that fixed that issue for most units but I saw one where that firmware did not fix that issue. Samsung has a track record of amazing panels with class leading anti glare BUT they really leave much to desire in the uniformity and motion 120hz pwm 😞 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy12 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrygow View Post
Until i actually get one or have the opportunity to see one i may be talking out of my backside.. as i have been a OLED owner so it would not mean a jot whether this tv is less bright than 2018 Qleds as i have no point of reference same goes for Black level.. my main concern is DSE and how clear it would show in Football(Soccer) that would be my deal breaker.. just to say in the UK we get a Q85R which is slightly cheaper or so we assume .. as of now no pricing or release date.. all we have to offer is speculation.
One owner of the Q90 has stated they don't have DSE, so let's hope that's consistent across panels and sizes.
Right but we have another owner stating it has horrible DSE here and returned the tv, granted with NO pics. That joker on youtube says his q90r has vertical banding and dse but again, never showed it once.

If there is any owners out there, can you please do those of us that are holding out ordering the q90r, post some grey screens?

Having delt with many q9’s (2017 and 2018 models) with bad dse that was distracting in all content, I am very heistant to purchase a q90r until I start to see that there is no dse or vertical banding.
Is there a video on YouTube that would show grey screens? Mine is being delivered tomorrow.
There is! Just search 5% and 10% grey screen and might aswell test Modernwize’s dse test which is hockey based content.
As requested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDF0F776-600C-4BA3-B0B0-221812F7D1EC_1552336516673.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	2537416   Click image for larger version

Name:	0872A659-FF41-458F-B875-253BC50629B6_1552336530039.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2537418   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6B4A236-BB80-40DA-BE0B-9A29772CDB64_1552336566821.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2537420   Click image for larger version

Name:	01CAB27A-54EE-450A-92B7-B4CD54701DE6_1552336584237.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	2537422   Click image for larger version

Name:	3E5BC26A-CBE8-4E18-AFDE-F46755D22CD9_1552336609790.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	2537424  

encaser and sd13 like this.
post #425 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
As requested.
THE 5% Grey screen have the blobs of DSE clearly showing, the White Ice Hockey is less definitive as to whether it has DSE but the pics are small.
post #426 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
As requested.
I'm assuming it's less apparent to the naked eye and real world content viewing?
Hockey test certainly looks cool.
Thanks for posting.

Who's the daddy now???

Last edited by encaser; 03-11-2019 at 02:08 PM.
post #427 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 284
[QUOTE=benboy12;57729754][QUOTE=Blackvette94;57725740]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Quote:

From the mixed early reports, I don't understand how you can conclude there is no panel lottery on the Q90 until we've had a much larger statistic of owner reports (unless you're paying for questions-free-return-policy [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]).
All tvs have panel lottery, what I am trying to say is I would like to get more reports with actual pictures showing what the DSE and vertical banding would be on these. Even with that there is a large chance I could get a panel that is worse or the same etc.

Do you not remember what the 2017 Q9 looked like when it came out? It literally had vertical jail bars and that was a $6k tv when launched! They did have a firmware update that fixed that issue for most units but I saw one where that firmware did not fix that issue. Samsung has a track record of amazing panels with class leading anti glare BUT they really leave much to desire in the uniformity and motion 120hz pwm 😞 .

[QUOTE=benboy12;57725704][QUOTE=Blackvette94;57725626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Quote:
Until i actually get one or have the opportunity to see one i may be talking out of my backside.. as i have been a OLED owner so it would not mean a jot whether this tv is less bright than 2018 Qleds as i have no point of
As requested.
Thank you! Your panels looks good! I assume a AA01 panel? I know the camera makes it look worse than in person.
post #428 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by petropenguin View Post
Has there been any news whether the q90r will get a hdmi 2.1 oneconnect box upgrade like the q900?
Doesn't look like it based on initial reports.

Also looks like Q90R doesn't get eARC? If true that's somewhat shocking to me and maybe a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatPanelsHD
The new Samsung 4K TVs do not appear to feature HDMI 2.1 ports like LG's 2019 high-end 4K OLED and LCD TVs. The only confirmed HDMI 2.1 feature so far is ALLM that automatically switches to game mode. Based on Samsung’s published specifications, there is seemingly no support for HDMI 2.1’s eARC. Like last year, the 2019 models will support FreeSync (version 2) for smoother gaming.
post #429 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 02:42 PM

[quote=Blackvette94;57729920][QUOTE=benboy12;57729754][QUOTE=Blackvette94;57725740]

[QUOTE=benboy12;57725704]
Quote:

Thank you! Your panels looks good! I assume a AA01 panel? I know the camera makes it look worse than in person.
Yep. It is an AA01 panel. And yes, the camera makes it look substantially worse than viewing in person.
post #430 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

As requested.
The first pic with the 5% looks awfully bright for 5%. Is that from a gray uniformity test?
post #431 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
As requested.
This looks much much cleaner than all 5 of my q9fn that i ran the same test on.
post #432 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
This looks much much cleaner than all 5 of my q9fn that i ran the same test on.
Awesome! This is my first time testing for something like this, so wasn't entirely sure what was considered "good" or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
The first pic with the 5% looks awfully bright for 5%. Is that from a gray uniformity test?
Yes, it is from a 5% gray uniformity test video on Youtube. I think it's just my phone camera making it look brighter. It did not look as bright in person.

Last edited by benboy12; 03-11-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #433 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I DON'T know if you have already been asked and replied .. but how are you finding your Q90R PQ wise, apologises if you have already.
I don't think I could be any happier with the TV than I am now. I dialed back a few settings (anti-judder and something with blur) and think it looks great. We watched an older DVD last night and in a few dark scenes I didn't think it was handled very well or consistently (dark scene's lighting seemed to go from light to dark inconsistently). But I guess I'm a pretty easy grader because I'm really happy. Of course, that could also be moving from 50 to 65, and to a very bright TV in a very bright room.
post #434 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
Agreed. Sounds like hockey, soccer, and golf are good test cases from what I'm reading. But more importantly evaluate the TV based on the quality of the image for material that you actually watch. To hell with slides. Why torture yourself looking for problems you wouldn't otherwise know exist when watching your normal viewing material?
When it comes to dse, ive been through so many sets i know exactly what level of it bothers me so when i do test patterns i look for the level of dse that will effect real live content. Problem last year is the magnolia design center near me that had it hooked up to cable tv, they only had the 75" and that one was clear when watching hockey. Im hoping they get in the 65" q90r on display so i can test hockey before making a decision.
post #435 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Yes, it is from a 5% gray uniformity test video on Youtube. I think it's just my phone camera making it look brighter. It did not look as bright in person.
Thanks. I was confused as to why it was so bright for 5%. I have th Q80 and when I ran the gray test from YouTube, 5% was much darker. Good to know. Hope you enjoy your new TV.
post #436 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
Everything matches what you said to check. I didn't have to change anything.

Thanks

What's interesting is that while on the TV input on my receiver I can run the sound test in the TV's "Self Diagnosis" menu and I get the test sounds through my Onkyo just fine, but nothing in Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Well I'm sad to report my Q90 is getting returned to Amazon. UPS will be delivering my replacement on Wednesday and picking up the return at the same time.

I really hate being in the panel lottery again.

ARC isn't working on this TV. I know I said above that the test sounds play fine, but they don't. They play for a second or two and cut out. If I hook back up my UN65F000 everything works perfectly through ARC so I know it isn't my receiver configuration.

I spent over 2 hours with first level Samsung Tech Support last Thursday. He did a remote connection and didn't accomplish much. He claimed it was my receiver and told me to contact Onkyo. That ticked me off. I told him everything worked fine with my old setup and no it wasn't my receiver.

He finally agreed to send out Service Techs. I got a call last Friday from a Samsung Q90 project engineer and he had me check a few things. I told him I figured the One Connect Box was bad. He said it was probably that or the One Connect Cable and he was leaning towards it being the cable. He told me he would get them out to the techs right away.

At 1:30 PM today two service techs showed up with no replacement parts of any kind. They said everything is on back order and it could be weeks before the parts came in. They verified the problem and were talking about taking the back off and replacing the main board along with the OCB and cable when the parts came in.

No way do I want to wait 2 weeks or longer for replacement parts and no way am I going to let them tear into my brand new TV to do repairs. So as much as I hate to do it, back it goes.

When I called Amazon's customer service the rep moved me up to the next level of customer service. This rep arranged have have the old TV picked up at the same time the new one will be delivered. She also took $100 off the price and is having it credited to my credit card.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
post #437 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Well I'm sad to report my Q90 is getting returned to Amazon. UPS will be delivering my replacement on Wednesday and picking up the return at the same time.

I really hate being in the panel lottery again.

ARC isn't working on this TV. I know I said above that the test sounds play fine, but they don't. They play for a second or two and cut out. If I hook back up my UN65F000 everything works perfectly through ARC so I know it isn't my receiver configuration.

I spent over 2 hours with first level Samsung Tech Support last Thursday. He did a remote connection and didn't accomplish much. He claimed it was my receiver and told me to contact Onkyo. That ticked me off. I told him everything worked fine with my old setup and no it wasn't my receiver.

He finally agreed to send out Service Techs. I got a call last Friday from a Samsung Q90 project engineer and he had me check a few things. I told him I figured the One Connect Box was bad. He said it was probably that or the One Connect Cable and he was leaning towards it being the cable. He told me he would get them out to the techs right away.

At 1:30 PM today two service techs showed up with no replacement parts of any kind. They said everything is on back order and it could be weeks before the parts came in. They verified the problem and were talking about taking the back off and replacing the main board along with the OCB and cable when the parts came in.

No way do I want to wait 2 weeks or longer for replacement parts and no way am I going to let them tear into my brand new TV to do repairs. So as much as I hate to do it, back it goes.

When I called Amazon's customer service the rep moved me up to the next level of customer service. This rep arranged have have the old TV picked up at the same time the new one will be delivered. She also took $100 off the price and is having it credited to my credit card.
It very well could be your receiver. I know certain Denon receivers needed Over-the-Air updates in order to work with the new Samsungs (2018). This had to do with the HDMI 2.1 features that were implemented (ALLM specifically).

How old is your Onkyo receiver? They may need to send out an update.
post #438 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadacclaim View Post
It very well could be your receiver. I know certain Denon receivers needed Over-the-Air updates in order to work with the new Samsungs (2018). This had to do with the HDMI 2.1 features that were implemented (ALLM specifically).

It's an Onkyo TX-RZ920. It's only about a year old. It's got the latest firmware. I've been checking everyday since I got this TV. I also went on Onkyo's site and verified I have the latest firmware.

Interestingly, I mentioned the updated HDMI connectors as a possibility to the Samsung project engineer when he called me. I said I heard they were 2.1 ready with a firmware update. He said that is only for the Q900. They will be getting HDMI 2.1 and that I shouldn't have any HDMI compatibility issues.

I took away from that brief conversation that the Q90 wouldn't be getting an HDMI 2.1 update. Please don't take that as a fact. It still should be confirmed one way or another by another source.
Cuthalu likes this.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
post #439 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It's an Onkyo TX-RZ920. It's only about a year old. It's got the latest firmware. I've been checking everyday since I got this TV. I also went on Onkyo's site and verified I have the latest firmware.

Interestingly, I mentioned the updated HDMI connectors as a possibility to the Samsung project engineer when he called me. I said I heard they were 2.1 ready with a firmware update. He said that is only for the Q900. They will be getting HDMI 2.1 and that I shouldn't have any HDMI compatibility issues.

I took away from that brief conversation that the Q90 wouldn't be getting an HDMI 2.1 update. Please don't take that as a fact. It still should be confirmed one way or another by another source.
I wonder if this just means that Samsung won’t be pursuing certification, but we could still see a firmware update for something like eARC.
post #440 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wonder if this just means that Samsung won’t be pursuing certification, but we could still see a firmware update for something like eARC.
this earc update or not is the deciding factor for me. I wish we could just get a solid yes or no if it will happen
post #441 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
this earc update or not is the deciding factor for me. I wish we could just get a solid yes or no if it will happen
Usually when a company is silent it's because it's not good news. Just saying. HDMI 2.1 looks like a complete bust with Samsung, gonna have another look at LG's IPSs, maybe they finally have decent FALD
post #442 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

I am very close to pulling the trigger for a 65" Q90R but I need a little help with one spec that I can't seem to find any info on.

Can someone please let me know the locations of the traditional VESA mount points? Specifically, I need to know the vertical distance to the lower and upper set of mount points to determine if the TV will fit in my setup. I am planning to mount it over a fireplace in a stone-encased niche. I don't have much wiggle room, and I can't really move or replace the articulating mount that's there already - at least not without a lot of stone work. So I'm hoping that the vertical placement of the VESA mount points is within my tolerances.

I can't find any pictures of the back side of the TV online, and, the 360 degree view on the Samsung website has a bug and won't load past 72%... otherwise I'd just scale the picture and reverse calculate the heights.

Would someone who has a set be willing to grab a few quick measurements for me? Thanks! I hope to be a proud owner soon!
post #443 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Usually when a company is silent it's because it's not good news. Just saying. HDMI 2.1 looks like a complete bust with Samsung, gonna have another look at LG's IPSs, maybe they finally have decent FALD
If Samsung was planning to do HDMI 2.1 upgrade, it would be advertised already like a big feature coming soon. I don't expect 2.1 in any 2019 4ks from Samsung.
Cuthalu likes this.
post #444 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
75" Q90R is up with a purchase option, it is priced at $4999 and ships April.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...qn75q90rafxza/

Thank you so much!

I hope to purchase in the AM.
post #445 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Quote:
When it comes to dse, ive been through so many sets i know exactly what level of it bothers me so when i do test patterns i look for the level of dse that will effect real live content. Problem last year is the magnolia design center near me that had it hooked up to cable tv, they only had the 75" and that one was clear when watching hockey. Im hoping they get in the 65" q90r on display so i can test hockey before making a decision.
I have 3 BBs near me and none of them have cable feed. I complain just about every time I go in.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #446 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
If Samsung was planning to do HDMI 2.1 upgrade, it would be advertised already like a big feature coming soon. I don't expect 2.1 in any 2019 4ks from Samsung.
Samsung was very aggressive with pricing of the Q90 ($5000 for the 75Q90 versus $6000 for the 75Q9FN); I fear lack of hardware upgrades may be a likely consequence of that pricing strategy...

The higher-priced 8K Q900 seems to be getting all the priority when it comes to upgrading to HDMI 2.1.
post #447 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Yea, which is why I think the chances of eARC being patched in are slim.
post #448 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
im holding out hope as earc can be done without 2.1. I mean if they are patching samsung soundbars with earc, which would only benefit samsungs competitors instead of samsung itself just doesnt make sense to me.
Im gonna look at lg b9 or lg lcds also, or wait for tcl x10. My big 4 features are allm, earc, vrr, and low input lag. I prioritize these and will sacrifice a small amt of pic quality for it, to a certain point anyway. If i knew an earc update would be provided in future, id order q80 65” right now
post #449 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Unfortunately I think you are right. eARC was the most desirable 2.1 feature for me. My current AVR needs to be replaced and my plan was to replace it this year with purchase of a new TV and then connect my gaming video sources to the TV directly for lowest latency, etc. and then run audio back to the TV over eARC as I really don’t want to replace my AVR a second time in just a year or two.

Dammit.
post #450 of 6394 Old 03-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page