2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4696Likes

post #4591 of 6672 Old 06-15-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesd View Post
Thanks, I'm not a patient person so I upgraded via USB tonight. Didn't get a chance to explore for any changes yet.
Any chance for checking whether this update brings eARC support?
It did not.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 6672 Old 06-15-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Wow...ok sure.

The blooming alone makes the 950G a non starter for me. The trouble with that video is that Vincent concentrates on comparing all the performance metrics where we already know Sony is class leading.

He’s really nitpicking and also comparing the sets side by side. I suspect the majority of us would be lucky to see the slight differences he’s reporting. Heck, probably Vincent would have a hard telling you which set was which in a blind test.

I owned and compared a Z9F, which is better than the 950G, with a Q90 and ended up keeping the Q90. Vincent also stated that the Q90 was the best 4K LED LCD of 2019 in his review, which came after his review of the 950G.
950G is equal to the 80R. You are right out of those 3 the 90R is basically the best. The only model coming out to stand a chance against the 90R will be the Z9G......we will see what happens there soon enough. I would bet close.......real close.
Mikejl, BRAC and Terminader like this.
post #4593 of 6672 Old 06-16-2019, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 93
did anyone by any chance test the built-in web browser on the Q90R ?

I want to know:

1) how well it works ? how much it scores on https://html5test.com/ ? can you run media heavy/streaming sites on it (like, say, crunchyroll) ?
2) Out of the box - can you use a regular wireless mouse+kb combo (like any cheap Logitech one) to operate the built-in browser ? Will it work ? And does it matter if its bluetooth or not ?

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4594 of 6672 Old 06-16-2019, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
did anyone by any chance test the built-in web browser on the Q90R ?

I want to know:

1) how well it works ? how much it scores on https://html5test.com/ ? can you run media heavy/streaming sites on it (like, say, crunchyroll) ?
2) Out of the box - can you use a regular wireless mouse+kb combo (like any cheap Logitech one) to operate the built-in browser ? Will it work ? And does it matter if its bluetooth or not ?

Thx
I haven't tested. Do you have a specific use case? I have used Airplay and Chromecast and both work extremely well. This is my first TV with these two features built in and really impressed with real world ease of use.
post #4595 of 6672 Old 06-16-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
I haven't tested. Do you have a specific use case?
Can you test if possible ?

the use case is what I wrote above:

Quote:
This is my first TV with these two features built in
Chromecast is built-in on Q90R ? are you sure ?

I checked and I think in 2019 Samsung and LG TVs only got AirPlay ..
Sony has built-in ChromeCast

Last edited by UltimateDisplay; 06-16-2019 at 06:03 AM.
post #4596 of 6672 Old 06-16-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
Can you test if possible ?

the use case is what I wrote above:

Chromecast is built-in on Q90R ? are you sure ?

I checked and I think in 2019 Samsung and LG TVs only got AirPlay ..
Sony has built-in ChromeCast
OK, now that you say that I am not sure. It does cast easily from Youtube but the browser for other sites only recognizes the receiver. Is YouTube a partial implementation of Chromecast? I know we also tested from an Android phone so definitely not Airplay.
post #4597 of 6672 Old 06-16-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
OK, now that you say that I am not sure. It does cast easily from Youtube but the browser for other sites only recognizes the receiver. Is YouTube a partial implementation of Chromecast? I know we also tested from an Android phone so definitely not Airplay.
OK, I didn't bother trying to hook up a keyboard and a mouse yet (too lazy). However, I did launch a web browser with the remote and browsed to the html5 test page.

Browser score 533 out of 555 points

checkbox on every video option but H.265
checkbox on every audio option
checkbox on every streaming option (partial designation under both codecs)

I also found this article which leaves me even more confused.
https://www.channelnews.com.au/ces-2...-type-feature/

Needless to say, this TV has some pretty decent integration options
UltimateDisplay likes this.
post #4598 of 6672 Old 06-16-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
OK, I didn't bother trying to hook up a keyboard and a mouse yet (too lazy). However, I did launch a web browser with the remote and browsed to the html5 test page.

Browser score 533 out of 555 points

checkbox on every video option but H.265
checkbox on every audio option
checkbox on every streaming option (partial designation under both codecs)
well thats damn good, its about the same as my desktop Chrome and better than my desktop Firefox

thx
Panson likes this.
post #4599 of 6672 Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My TV finally arrived yesterday after a seven and a half week wait. What a great Father’s Day gift to myself.

I’ve got some messing around to do with it, but I’m already in love with the picture. The opening scene from Planet Earth 2 on UHD BluRay looks stunning, and that’s just right out of the box. I need to dig through this thread and find some good recommended picture setting.

Since I am in Japan, I am getting the network error 2014509-1 that prevents me from loading the terms and conditions, which means I can’t use any online features. I still need to figure out a way to get past that.
Terminader and Panson like this.
post #4600 of 6672 Old 06-17-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 6
On Saturday I got delivery of a 65" LG C9. From what I read and saw in store I thought it would be the right choice. I think I made a mistake...

I was originally going to go with the Samsung Q90R but got talked out of it by a few friends and said go OLED. It's a nice TV but it doesn't pop like I thought it would and like the Samsungs do.

I think the Q90R is the way to go, would the Samsung be good for a room that isn't very bright but not really dark either.

I just want the colors to be brighter and I feel the OLED isn't giving me that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BRAC and Terminader like this.
post #4601 of 6672 Old 06-17-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpinelli1980 View Post
On Saturday I got delivery of a 65" LG C9. From what I read and saw in store I thought it would be the right choice. I think I made a mistake...

I was originally going to go with the Samsung Q90R but got talked out of it by a few friends and said go OLED. It's a nice TV but it doesn't pop like I thought it would and like the Samsungs do.

I think the Q90R is the way to go, would the Samsung be good for a room that isn't very bright but not really dark either.

The Q90 is good for both bright and dim environments. It's not perfect, but it would be hard to deny that it is versatile.
Terminader and Panson like this.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #4602 of 6672 Old 06-17-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
The Q90 is good for both bright and dim environments. It's not perfect, but it would be hard to deny that it is versatile.
I think that's the primary thing I get out of these two models side-by-side comparative reviews. They're two of the best, but belong with different viewership and environs.
Terminader likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #4603 of 6672 Old 06-17-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

I'm right there with you -- I have the LG C8 from last year and also the Q90R and the C8 just doesn't have that HDR pop and vibrancy like the Q90. Sure, the OLED looks great in a dark room and is great for those that enjoy the cinematic look and feel but the Samsung wins just about everywhere else for me. Also, just the peace of mind that you can leave your TV on a static image for as long as you want and not have to worry about burn-in issues really is priceless.
Mikejl, BRAC, Terminader and 1 others like this.
post #4604 of 6672 Old 06-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12748 Post(s)
Liked: 12064
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post

i recently got a 55" C8 OLED. i love just about everything about the tv. my 2 biggest issues with it (though not dealbreakers as its my 2nd man cave tv), is that the processing is worse than the Samsung so i need to use an Apple tv for Netflix and amazon, and also the full screen brightness also lacks. Some people have said that a recent FW update dimmed the tv down but i wouldn't know since ive only had it for a few weeks. I believe the C9 is a little brighter than the C8. But if you want brighter colors and better full screen brightness, i think either the Q9FN or Q90 would do the trick.

Heres a Q9FN vs C8 where I preferred the Q9 due to brighter and more poppy image which to me looked a little more in your face. this is just an example to give an idea. keep in mind this is Hdr.

BRAC, Nillaz, LG4k and 2 others like this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Last edited by ray0414; 06-17-2019 at 01:46 PM.
post #4605 of 6672 Old 06-17-2019, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
i recently got a 55" C8 OLED. i love just about everything about the tv. my 2 biggest issues with it (though not dealbreakers as its my 2nd man cave tv), is that the processing is worse than the Samsung so i need to use an Apple tv for Netflix and amazon, and also the full screen brightness also lacks. Some people have said that a recent FW update dimmed the tv down but i wouldn't know since ive only had it for a few weeks. I believe the C9 is a little brighter than the C8. But if you want brighter colors and better full screen brightness, i think either the Q9FN or Q90 would do the trick.

Heres a Q9FN vs C8 where I preferred the Q9 due to brighter and more poppy image which to me looked a little more in your face. this is just an example to give an idea. keep in mind this is Hdr.

Wow what a difference. I have always owned Samsung TV's and I should of gone with my gut but I wanted to try the LG. I do prefer the Vivid Pop of a Samsung, I know they do oversaturate but I do enjoy the picture better.

I called where I bought it and they will do a return but want a 15% restocking fee ($479), I told them that when it was delivered the box was damaged and the shipper even wrote it on the slip. TV looked ok but they did care about that it seems. They said if I do an exchange I wouldn't be charged but only for another LG.

ray0414 likes this.
post #4606 of 6672 Old 06-17-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Anyone ever watched Bad Boys 2 in 4K HDR? Watching it in 4K for the first time today, wow this movie looks amazing. Black levels are stunning and the highlights get pretty bright too. It's a bit grainy but very detailed, wow I'm impressed.
BRAC and LG4k like this.
post #4607 of 6672 Old 06-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12748 Post(s)
Liked: 12064
Quote:
Wow what a difference. I have always owned Samsung TV's and I should of gone with my gut but I wanted to try the LG. I do prefer the Vivid Pop of a Samsung, I know they do oversaturate but I do enjoy the picture better.

I called where I bought it and they will do a return but want a 15% restocking fee ($479), I told them that when it was delivered the box was damaged and the shipper even wrote it on the slip. TV looked ok but they did care about that it seems. They said if I do an exchange I wouldn't be charged but only for another LG.

The exposure from the camera does dim the oled a little but there was still a pretty noticeable difference in the brightness and pop. LG still looks good. there is no free lunch though. what you gain in 1 area you make concessions in another.

that sucks about the restocking fee. 1 of the big bummers about buying online.

Last edited by ray0414; 06-17-2019 at 04:53 PM.
post #4608 of 6672 Old 06-17-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Anyone ever watched Bad Boys 2 in 4K HDR? Watching it in 4K for the first time today, wow this movie looks amazing. Black levels are stunning and the highlights get pretty bright too. It's a bit grainy but very detailed, wow I'm impressed.
Appreciate the recommendation. I’ll definitely check it out, as I’m a big fan of the franchise. Smith and Lawrence are a killer duo.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #4609 of 6672 Old 06-17-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Hey owners,

Something else to keep in mind. Seems like the risk is extremely low and the impact not so high, but I could be wrong....

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1560774562
Mikejl likes this.
post #4610 of 6672 Old 06-17-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Hey owners,

Something else to keep in mind. Seems like the risk is extremely low and the impact not so high, but I could be wrong....

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1560774562
I agree. I also think the risk is probably pretty low, but I run the built-in virus scanner once a week anyway. It only takes about a minute to complete.

If anyone is interested, you can find it: Menu --> System Manager --> Smart Security
Terminader likes this.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus

Last edited by Mikejl; 06-17-2019 at 07:59 PM.
post #4611 of 6672 Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Any tech difference between Q90R 82” vs 75”?

Any tech difference between Q90R 82” vs 75”? I am wondering if the steep price increase has a technology bump included? Regardless my 82” is incoming with an Amazon certified renewed Denon avrx6500h so I am super excited 😜! @BRAC recommended settings or setup tips? Hooking up ps4 pro, x box one x, DirecTV and Switch. I am somewhat forced to use Samsung Smart View app because I use a mouth stick to access iPad. If anyone has ideas about better ways to control everything I would be greatful.
Terminader likes this.
post #4612 of 6672 Old 06-18-2019, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dear all,

I dont have a place to put rear speakers (TV is in front of my bed).
Could you please suggest a good sounbar for Q90 Samsung 75".
Tnx a lot.
post #4613 of 6672 Old 06-18-2019, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpygod View Post
Any tech difference between Q90R 82” vs 75”? I am wondering if the steep price increase has a technology bump included? Regardless my 82” is incoming with an Amazon certified renewed Denon avrx6500h so I am super excited 😜! @BRAC recommended settings or setup tips? Hooking up ps4 pro, x box one x, DirecTV and Switch. I am somewhat forced to use Samsung Smart View app because I use a mouth stick to access iPad. If anyone has ideas about better ways to control everything I would be greatful.
Technically speaking they should be the same. The one connect box is double the size though, as was posted by another member. The bigger box is likely housing a much bigger power supply and I suspect the 82” may be brighter as a result, but I’m just speculating. The 82’ also has a different FALD arrangement, with 40x12 zone layout instead of 30x16 in the smaller sizes. We don’t know the reasons as to why Samsung chose the different layout for the 82”.

As far as connections and settings go...I’m currently using Rtings picture settings and overall I’m quite satisfied with the results. For connections on your Xbox, you will need to run it direct to the one connect box, if you want to use the gaming features like VRR, and then ARC back to the 6500h. Everything else should be fine running through the AVR and then over to the Q90.

Enjoy!
Terminader and gimpygod like this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #4614 of 6672 Old 06-18-2019, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I am getting a 65Q90 as a replacement for my faulty 65JS9000. Delivery should be in a couple weeks. 5 years ago when I purchased my JS9000 I bouight new HDMI's to handle the 4K.

Do I need to get new cables again, and new requirements I need to look for to handle the latest 4K tech?

I'll be reading this forum the next couple weeks. Any insight would be appreciated on setup tips.

Thanks!!!
post #4615 of 6672 Old 06-18-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by sava99 View Post
Dear all,

I dont have a place to put rear speakers (TV is in front of my bed).

Could you please suggest a good sounbar for Q90 Samsung 75".

Tnx a lot.

Bose 700 soundbar is a great fit for the q90r.
Majister likes this.
post #4616 of 6672 Old 06-18-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Bose 700 soundbar is a great fit for the q90r.
what about Sony HT-ST5000? who is the best in my environment: (1) YAMAHA YSP-5600 + NS-SW300; (2) Sony HT-ST5000; (3) Bose 700 ?
post #4617 of 6672 Old 06-18-2019, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by sava99 View Post
what about Sony HT-ST5000? who is the best in my environment: (1) YAMAHA YSP-5600 + NS-SW300; (2) Sony HT-ST5000; (3) Bose 700 ?
Beware if you want to send video through it, the YSP-5600 is old and doesn't support HDR pass-through.
post #4618 of 6672 Old 06-18-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpygod View Post
I had replaced my 75" with an 82" for about 10 minutes. I had them take the 82" back. The top and bottom two LED backlight zones of the 75" line up with the black bars on a widescreen 2.35:1 film perfectly, which leads to black bars with minimal blooming.

The 82" TV's black bars line up with 1 and a half zones, which led to unacceptable blooming, in my opinion. I preferred the 75" by far. But I miss the extra size of the 82" that I had for those 10 minutes.
post #4619 of 6672 Old 06-18-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
Beware if you want to send video through it, the YSP-5600 is old and doesn't support HDR pass-through.
I’m planning to use smart-tv functionality so I don’t need eARC or ARC. Optical is enough.
What is the best option for me? (1) YAMAHA YSP-5600 + NS-SW300; (2) Sony HT-ST5000; (3) Bose 700 ?
post #4620 of 6672 Old 06-18-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 446
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/o...tv-q90r-series

Can this update be pushed to the tv manually via USB? I have no update available on my set so I might try to update it manually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page