2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4037Likes

post #4681 of 5181 Old 06-21-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasteven View Post
I have purchased the Q9FN and not the Q90r.

Having spent some time with both sets at my dealer with the sets running alongside each other I was able to see the distinct differences between these sets.

The Q9FN definitely had a superior black level and contrast (as born out by Rtings.com review)

The Q90r has a superb viewing angle unlike the Q9FN which really only shines when sitting virtually parallel to screen.

All other parameters seemed to be equal apart from the extreme edge of the Q90r which definitely looked slightly darker.

On the other hand I did notice some DSE on the Q9FN

It seems that Samsung like Sony have made sacrifices to accommodate the wide viewing angle technology.

Now if Samsung could produce a version of the Q90r without this feature then we would have the contrast and black levels of the Q9FN plus the small,non picture related improvements over the Q9FN
The FALD algorithm and anti-reflective filter are both VASTLY improved on the Q90r. I have owned both sets and the difference in local dimming is huge imo. The Q90 FALD is more stable and retains a lot more shadow detail. The backlight fluctuations/inconsistencies on the Q9FN drove me CRAZY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikejl and Terminader like this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 5181 Old 06-21-2019, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
The FALD algorithm and anti-reflective filter are both VASTLY improved on the Q90r. I have owned both sets and the difference in local dimming is huge imo. The Q90 FALD is more stable and retains a lot more shadow detail. The backlight fluctuations/inconsistencies on the Q9FN drove me CRAZY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aside from the backlight fluctuations I don't know that I would characterize any of those things as vastly better. In some ways they're better and in some ways their worse, but mostly they're just different.
Tony1 likes this.

82Q90R / 75Q9FN / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #4683 of 5181 Old 06-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
It may have been discussed before, but can anyone comment on how to hide the One Connect cable in the wall? I'm wall mounting and I understand that the best idea is to have a conduit. However, I don't feel like ripping all of the sheetrock out. I was thinking of installing the cable in a 1/2" flexible conduit and then fishing the whole assembly through a hole behind the TV and wall media cabinet. Thoughts?
WannaBinHD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4684 of 5181 Old 06-21-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcervinojr View Post
It may have been discussed before, but can anyone comment on how to hide the One Connect cable in the wall? I'm wall mounting and I understand that the best idea is to have a conduit. However, I don't feel like ripping all of the sheetrock out. I was thinking of installing the cable in a 1/2" flexible conduit and then fishing the whole assembly through a hole behind the TV and wall media cabinet. Thoughts?
Sounds like the way to go! Just do it!
post #4685 of 5181 Old 06-21-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
Aside from the backlight fluctuations I don't know that I would characterize any of those things as vastly better. In some ways they're better and in some ways their worse, but mostly they're just different.
Sure, it’s always debatable.

For myself though, the Q90 is vastly superior in all the areas that I mentioned, and other areas as well. The difference between the two was a Q9FN that angered me often and removed me from the experience, to a Q90r that allows me to enjoy the experience, 90% of the time, and not get distracted by poor performance. Ymmv
Mikejl, Terminader and gimpygod like this.

Last edited by BRAC; 06-21-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #4686 of 5181 Old 06-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Sure, it’s always debatable.

For myself though, the Q90 is vastly superior in all the areas that I mentioned, and other areas as well. The difference between the two was a Q9FN that angered me often and removed me from the experience, to a Q90r that allows me to enjoy the experience, 90% of the time, and not get distracted by poor performance. Ymmv
I also owned the Q9FN and i will agree the blacks got really black but that came at the sacrifice of shadow detail. Some Netflix shows were almost unwatchable for me on the Q9FN but completely acceptable on the Q90, not really a measure of anything, but just my personal experience.
Mikejl and BRAC like this.
post #4687 of 5181 Old 06-21-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSchoch View Post
I expect to get my 65Q90 in a week or two for a replacement for the 65JS9000. I've been reading this forum from the beginning, and have made it to page 20 with no real useful info. One question I have are my HDMI cables. I upgraded my cables in June of 2015 when I got the JS9000, have there been any changes in the last 4 years where I should get new HMDI's?

If so, i usually buy from Monoprice. Any recommendations?

Thanks!!
Just make sure what you have has this badge.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	2582912  
VARTV, WannaBinHD and Terminader like this.
post #4688 of 5181 Old 06-21-2019, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Long story short:

1) I ordered my 1st 82Q900 from Samsung directly that arrived with a functional but bent screen. Went through Samsung's return hell without advance replacement and got pissed off enough to buy from a dealer instead of re-ordering via Samsung.

2) I ordered my 2nd 82Q900 from Cleveland Plasma that arrived with a box that looked like it went through WWIII. It was fully functional but the plastic backing in the rear was cracked. The panel has horrible DSE.

3) After talking with Chris (Cleveland Plasma) I decided to give the 82Q90 a shot. Cleveland Plasma is absolutely awesome, they sent out an advance replacement 82Q90 (and credited the difference) for the damaged Q900 and advised that I delay the return of the Q900 until I get my new Q90 to swap.

My 82 Q90 is set to arrive early next week. I will be able to provide impressions of the 82 Q900 vs 82 Q90 shortly
BRAC and Terminader like this.
post #4689 of 5181 Old 06-21-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
Long story short:

1) I ordered my 1st 82Q900 from Samsung directly that arrived with a functional but bent screen. Went through Samsung's return hell without advance replacement and got pissed off enough to buy from a dealer instead of re-ordering via Samsung.

2) I ordered my 2nd 82Q900 from Cleveland Plasma that arrived with a box that looked like it went through WWIII. It was fully functional but the plastic backing in the rear was cracked. The panel has horrible DSE.

3) After talking with Chris (Cleveland Plasma) I decided to give the 82Q90 a shot. Cleveland Plasma is absolutely awesome, they sent out an advance replacement 82Q90 (and credited the difference) for the damaged Q900 and advised that I delay the return of the Q900 until I get my new Q90 to swap.

My 82 Q90 is set to arrive early next week. I will be able to provide impressions of the 82 Q900 vs 82 Q90 shortly
Welcome to the club!

It was the TV Gods way of steering you to a superior viewing experience!
Todeseng3l likes this.

Last edited by Terminader; 06-21-2019 at 06:54 PM.
post #4690 of 5181 Old 06-21-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
Long story short:

Welcome to the club!

That’s some hard luck right there with the Q900. I wish you better luck with the switch to the Q90.
Todeseng3l likes this.

post #4691 of 5181 Old 06-22-2019, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 36
A friend has recently purchased the Q90r and next week is having placed on the wall.
As I have the Q9FN he brought it round to mine to see how they compared.The sets had not been calibrated and we used the natural and film modes to compare with the same (to our eyes)the backlight and brightness levels.
In normal room lighting there was little to choose between them.Dim the lights or go to blackout conditions and the superior contrast and black levels of the Q9FN were apparent,however the Q9FN was rather over the top in its presentation and gave a clinical sharpness.The Q90 seemed more natural despite not having this extreme sharpness.
On HDR the Q9FN was again somewhat over the top in its presentation,it really showed every last fragment of fine sharpness and detail whereas the Q90r was very natural.Neither to us seemed better than the other,different certainly!
On upscaling of poor TV sources the Q90r introduced too much over sharpening of the image whereas the Q9FN did not bring out any more detail but the image was softer than the Q90R
Our overall impression was that these two TVs along with the Sony ZD9 are still class leaders when it comes to picture performance.
Would either of us change?No.There were plus and minus points for each set.
For the friend, who cannot view in ideal conditions the Q90r wins,whereas in my light controlled conditions the Q9FN wins.
Terminader likes this.
post #4692 of 5181 Old 06-22-2019, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzyx View Post
I tried 2 75s (3rd was shattered, so that doesn't count) and both panels were worse than my 1st and hopefully last attempt at 82. DSE was very visible on 75s.

If I'm not mistaken, someone in this thread said that 82 is manufactured by a different company.
I believe the 82 is made by AUOptics
post #4693 of 5181 Old 06-22-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just compared q90r (actually q85r) to last year's OLED and matte screen (really matte, i guess 44% haze) and after so many years I admit that picture quality and contrast on q85r in the real world is better then on 10 year old matte TV.
Terminader likes this.
post #4694 of 5181 Old 06-22-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
Can someone show me the back of the one connect box for the Q90? I need to plan for using a Philips Hue Lightstrip behind my TV. I'm just trying to figure out the USB ports.
Have you figured out a way to do this with the light strip?

Ray
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
post #4695 of 5181 Old 06-23-2019, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Can any owners who also had a Q9FN and are gamers comment on how much improved Game Mode is on the Q90R? I currently have a Q9FN 75" which I really enjoy for gaming, but reading post on how much better the Q90R is over the Q9FN, I am just wondering for gaming if the improvements are just as good as with other applications like watching movies etc.

-Hawkmoon
post #4696 of 5181 Old 06-23-2019, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Can any owners who also had a Q9FN and are gamers comment on how much improved Game Mode is on the Q90R? I currently have a Q9FN 75" which I really enjoy for gaming, but reading post on how much better the Q90R is over the Q9FN, I am just wondering for gaming if the improvements are just as good as with other applications like watching movies etc.

It's not significantly improved, it's basically the same implementation + the addition of dynamic enhancer, which is essentially just altering the gamma curve to your preference while gaming. You could pretty much achieve a similar (if not exactly the same) effect by adjusting the gamma curve in the Advanced Picture Settings.

One annoyance is that that Samsung max out the game specific motion interpolation options by default on the Q90R. When I booted up the Xbox for the first time I couldn't understand why everything just felt nasty. Took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on but once I disabled the setting the Q90 feels just as responsive as the Q9FN.
Hawkmoon likes this.

82Q90R / 75Q9FN / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #4697 of 5181 Old 06-24-2019, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How do we access the service menu with the Smart Remote? I want to disconnect my TV from the network, do a full factory reset, and then see if I can choose my region.

I have had the TV for a week (in Japan) and have not been able to use any of the online functions/apps due to not being able to download the terms and conditions. Apparently this has been an issue with Samsung TVs for years and there is still no official fix. I love the TV, but not this part of it.
post #4698 of 5181 Old 06-24-2019, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasteven View Post
I have purchased the Q9FN and not the Q90r.
Having spent some time with both sets at my dealer with the sets running alongside each other I was able to see the distinct differences between these sets.
The Q9FN definitely had a superior black level and contrast (as born out by Rtings.com review)
The Q90r has a superb viewing angle unlike the Q9FN which really only shines when sitting virtually parallel to screen.
All other parameters seemed to be equal apart from the extreme edge of the Q90r which definitely looked slightly darker.
On the other hand I did notice some DSE on the Q9FN
It seems that Samsung like Sony have made sacrifices to accommodate the wide viewing angle technology.
Now if Samsung could produce a version of the Q90r without this feature then we would have the contrast and black levels of the Q9FN plus the small,non picture related improvements over the Q9FN
how much of a difference was there in the contrast?

Remembering Dad's passing 01/16/2017

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #4699 of 5181 Old 06-24-2019, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I received my 75" 90r Saturday

WOW, its big, coming from a 55". Sure glad I didn't got with the 82"
Still trying to get the picture just right. At times it looks great, but then a commercial or changing channels, it looks a little washed out
I have adjusted the backlight, contrast & brightness, but is there anything else I can adjust to darken the picture slightly?

Couple of questions........

How do I change the name of the inputs? The setup didn't recognize my Dish network DVR or my DVD player
What setting is everyone using for .............
local dimming option
auto motion plus
extended contrast enhancer
How do I delete unwanted ota channels?

Remembering Dad's passing 01/16/2017

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #4700 of 5181 Old 06-24-2019, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denroll View Post
I have had the TV for a week (in Japan) and have not been able to use any of the online functions/apps due to not being able to download the terms and conditions.
Does your router support setting up a VPN connection to a server in a different country? Maybe that would get around it?
post #4701 of 5181 Old 06-24-2019, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 423
I'm sorry as I am sure this has been asked before. Did anyone have their 82" Q90 calibrated and care to share the settings?

Mine is set for delivery Wednesday and my default will be to use the 65" RTings settings as a starting point but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask as there can be some differences with the larger panel size.
post #4702 of 5181 Old 06-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denroll View Post
How do we access the service menu with the Smart Remote? I want to disconnect my TV from the network, do a full factory reset, and then see if I can choose my region.

I have had the TV for a week (in Japan) and have not been able to use any of the online functions/apps due to not being able to download the terms and conditions. Apparently this has been an issue with Samsung TVs for years and there is still no official fix. I love the TV, but not this part of it.
I don't believe there is a way to access the service menu with the smart remote. You will need to find an older Samsung remote that has a number pad as well as info, mute, menu buttons. I came from an older Samsung TV and was able to use the older remote to access the service menu.
post #4703 of 5181 Old 06-24-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 12474 Post(s)
Liked: 11663
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
Still trying to get the picture just right. At times it looks great, but then a commercial or changing channels, it looks a little washed out
I have adjusted the backlight, contrast & brightness, but is there anything else I can adjust to darken the picture slightly?
gamma
Terminader likes this.
post #4704 of 5181 Old 06-25-2019, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I was completely happy with everything my Q90R has been doing until this weekend when i tried to watch "Too Old To Die Young" on the Amazon Prime built in app.

The blooming is just horrendous on my set trying to watch this show. Not just the blooming but there are instances where the entire screen will suddenly and noticeably dim. Now I am wondering if my TV is somehow defective or if it is a problem with the processing of HDR10+? Has anyone else tried watching this show on their Q90 built in app? I'd be curious to hear about your experience.

I am watching it on movie mode and i do have local dimming set to high.

It is a visually beautiful show so it's a shame that I am having these issues...
post #4705 of 5181 Old 06-25-2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm starting to really hate this TV because of the all HDMI-related issues I have with it. I replaced JS9500 (Samsung 4K tv from 4-5 years ago), with all other devices being the same, so it's the TV that's causing all the issues. One issue is driving me mad - maybe someone knows how to fix it. The TV does not turn on the receiver (Denon) when the TV is turned on.

Basically, when I turn the TV on, the receiver does not turn on and the internal sound is selected as sound output. If I go to sound menu and select the receiver as sound output there, it turns on, so the TV can turn it on just fine, but does not. When I turn off the TV, it turns off the receiver to. When I turn it back on, the receiver does not turn on and the internal speakers are selected as sound output with the receiver being available to select. Select the receiver, and it turns on just fine again. Also, if I turn on the receiver via its remote, the TV switches to receiver too.

The same receiver worked as expected with the older Samsung TV - it would turn on and off with the TV as long as it was selected as the sound output.

How can I fix it?

What I have tired so far:
1. using every HDMI port on the TV for th receiver - same
2. Changing pass-through setting on the receiver - no effect
3. Configuring "unified remote" on the TV to control receiver - no effect
4. Resetting the TV to factory settings - no effect.

I would gouge the internal speakers with a rusty screwdriver if I knew this would help prevent TV from switching to them all the time... Please help.
post #4706 of 5181 Old 06-25-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxl View Post
I'm starting to really hate this TV because of the all HDMI-related issues I have with it. I replaced JS9500 (Samsung 4K tv from 4-5 years ago), with all other devices being the same, so it's the TV that's causing all the issues. One issue is driving me mad - maybe someone knows how to fix it. The TV does not turn on the receiver (Denon) when the TV is turned on.

Basically, when I turn the TV on, the receiver does not turn on and the internal sound is selected as sound output. If I go to sound menu and select the receiver as sound output there, it turns on, so the TV can turn it on just fine, but does not. When I turn off the TV, it turns off the receiver to. When I turn it back on, the receiver does not turn on and the internal speakers are selected as sound output with the receiver being available to select. Select the receiver, and it turns on just fine again. Also, if I turn on the receiver via its remote, the TV switches to receiver too.

The same receiver worked as expected with the older Samsung TV - it would turn on and off with the TV as long as it was selected as the sound output.

How can I fix it?

What I have tired so far:
1. using every HDMI port on the TV for th receiver - same
2. Changing pass-through setting on the receiver - no effect
3. Configuring "unified remote" on the TV to control receiver - no effect
4. Resetting the TV to factory settings - no effect.

I would gouge the internal speakers with a rusty screwdriver if I knew this would help prevent TV from switching to them all the time... Please help.
Try unplugging some of your devices on your receiver. For me, it was my Samsung 4k blu-ray player that was causing the issue, even though it wasn't even the device I was using. Very frustrating. It might have been the HDMI cable that was causing the issue.

I did this and then changed some of the Denon features for HDMI CEC, and also changed a couple of my HDMI cables to more recent ones, and the problem went away. I changed a lot of things, but can't pinpoint what did it.

I now use my Harmony remote to control everything. But the TV's remote will still adjust the Denon's volume.

HDMI-CEC is a buggy mess in general.
Nillaz likes this.
post #4707 of 5181 Old 06-25-2019, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Try unplugging some of your devices on your receiver. For me, it was my Samsung 4k blu-ray player that was causing the issue, even though it wasn't even the device I was using. Very frustrating. It might have been the HDMI cable that was causing the issue.

I did this and then changed some of the Denon features for HDMI CEC, and also changed a couple of my HDMI cables to more recent ones, and the problem went away. I changed a lot of things, but can't pinpoint what did it.

I now use my Harmony remote to control everything. But the TV's remote will still adjust the Denon's volume.

HDMI-CEC is a buggy mess in general.

Agreed. CEC can be OK with a basic system but is usually a trainwreck with a receiver involved. Disabling Anynet is one of the first things I do while setting up a new TV. There's just too many variables involved for me to bother wasting my time with it.

post #4708 of 5181 Old 06-25-2019, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
Agreed. CEC can be OK with a basic system but is usually a trainwreck with a receiver involved. Disabling Anynet is one of the first things I do while setting up a new TV. There's just too many variables involved for me to bother wasting my time with it.
I get it. It just annoying that it worked perfectly well with the old TV. Also, the TV clearly can control the receiver, just "prefers" to switch back to internal speakers every time.
Nillaz likes this.
post #4709 of 5181 Old 06-25-2019, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I get it. It just annoying that it worked perfectly well with the old TV. Also, the TV clearly can control the receiver, just "prefers" to switch back to internal speakers every time.

I feel your frustration. These high end smart tv's that we spend thousands of dollars on turn out to be not so smart sometimes. It's made worse by the fact that the remote would be pretty kick ass if things just worked as intended.

post #4710 of 5181 Old 06-25-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
I went from a Samsung KS8000 with a Denon 720S AVR to the Q90R.

In my case the interoperability with the same AVR and other HDMI devices has been perfect before and after.

Sorry to hear about your issues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page