2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4533Likes

post #451 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freznick View Post
Hi everyone,

I am very close to pulling the trigger for a 65" Q90R but I need a little help with one spec that I can't seem to find any info on.

Can someone please let me know the locations of the traditional VESA mount points? Specifically, I need to know the vertical distance to the lower and upper set of mount points to determine if the TV will fit in my setup. I am planning to mount it over a fireplace in a stone-encased niche. I don't have much wiggle room, and I can't really move or replace the articulating mount that's there already - at least not without a lot of stone work. So I'm hoping that the vertical placement of the VESA mount points is within my tolerances.

I can't find any pictures of the back side of the TV online, and, the 360 degree view on the Samsung website has a bug and won't load past 72%... otherwise I'd just scale the picture and reverse calculate the heights.

Would someone who has a set be willing to grab a few quick measurements for me? Thanks! I hope to be a proud owner soon!
One clarification - what I really need to know is how far the lower mount points and upper mount points are from the BOTTOM EDGE of the TV. I believe it's a VESA 400x400 pattern but their vertical placement relative to the overall TV is critical for my setup. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Samsung Ambient Mode

So I just purchased a new Samsung Q90R and am checking out the ambient mode. I know that if you purchase "the Frame" model TV, you have access to a Samsung art store. Can you get the same access for the Q models with ambient mode, or are the stock backgrounds pre-installed on the TV our only options?
post #453 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
One clarification - what I really need to know is how far the lower mount points and upper mount points are from the BOTTOM EDGE of the TV. I believe it's a VESA 400x400 pattern but their vertical placement relative to the overall TV is critical for my setup. Thanks again!
I gave measurements earlier on. The mount locations are maybe an inch inside the top and bottom of the bracket, which was my reference point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Unfortunately I think you are right. eARC was the most desirable 2.1 feature for me. My current AVR needs to be replaced and my plan was to replace it this year with purchase of a new TV and then connect my gaming video sources to the TV directly for lowest latency, etc. and then run audio back to the TV over eARC as I really don’t want to replace my AVR a second time in just a year or two.

Dammit.
It is always possible that they'll release a one connect box upgrade later on. But I imagine it would be obscenely expensive if they do make one.
post #455 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by petropenguin View Post
It is always possible that they'll release a one connect box upgrade later on. But I imagine it would be obscenely expensive if they do make one.
I would be better off getting the q900 since I get 18% off with EPP.

Or just suck it up and spend more for the 77 OLED and be worried about burn in for the next eight years.

Or just wait another year like I have for the past four years waiting on larger screen sizes to mature.

First world problem but all of these choices suck.
post #456 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6680 Post(s)
Liked: 6676
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
I could be nitpicking here, but to me NO-GAP means NO GAP. If this is the case, I could go for a cheaper wall mount unless you believe this is the closest il get to a No Gap. Also, the TV isn't flat on the back? That's weird.
Those mounts are expensive to. This mount is .35 off the wall, can not imagine you getting any closer, for 17 bucks might as well try it, lol.... <<< Click Here >>>
post #457 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
im holding out hope as earc can be done without 2.1. I mean if they are patching samsung soundbars with earc, which would only benefit samsungs competitors instead of samsung itself just doesnt make sense to me.
Im gonna look at lg b9 or lg lcds also, or wait for tcl x10. My big 4 features are allm, earc, vrr, and low input lag. I prioritize these and will sacrifice a small amt of pic quality for it, to a certain point anyway. If i knew an earc update would be provided in future, id order q80 65” right now
Samsung 2018 soundbars still don't support ALLM and VRR pass-through and those were two big features of 2018 TVs. I would not hold my breath waiting for these updates. I am in same boat like you, I'd rather get Samsung, but I want to future proof my next purchase. Today it is only 8k unfortunately.
post #458 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:

Or just suck it up and spend more for the 77 OLED and be worried about burn in for the next eight years.

Or just wait another year like I have for the past four years waiting on larger screen sizes to mature.

I use a fiber optic cable from tv to receiver. Only 5.1 signal pass but...I've been limping along pretty well.

Of course from my Blu-ray player HDMI goes directly into my receiver.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #459 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
Well I'm sad to report my Q90 is getting returned to Amazon. UPS will be delivering my replacement on Wednesday and picking up the return at the same time.
Sorry about your troubles. I’m curious where your Q90 shipped from. I’m 30 minutes from you, and Amazon shipped my unit from Seattle. UPS beat the living sheet out of the box in transit and I refused delivery. Then I come to find out UPS trucks have no ability to transport TVs other than by laying them flat.
post #460 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4878
Quote:

Or just wait 6 months by which time the 77C9 should cost less than the 75Q90...

But if you're going to watch tons of cable news on your new TV, stick to LED/LCD .
post #461 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Sorry about your troubles. I’m curious where your Q90 shipped from. I’m 30 minutes from you, and Amazon shipped my unit from Seattle. UPS beat the living sheet out of the box in transit and I refused delivery. Then I come to find out UPS trucks have no ability to transport TVs other than by laying them flat.
Mine also came in from Washington. That's not correct about laying them flat. I helped the UPS guy get mine out of the truck. It was upright and wedged by in place by another package. Absolutely no damage to the box on mine.

That's not saying the next one won't be coming in laying flat. I really hope I don't get the one you sent back.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
post #462 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Or just wait 6 months by which time the 77C9 should cost less than the 75Q90...

But if you're going to watch tons of cable news on your new TV, stick to LED/LCD .
I occasionally do some gaming and have taken elaborate pains not to burn in my 65 plasma.

I can already get the Q90R for 20% off but not sure I can bring myself to pull the trigger with the absence of HDMI 2.1 features on such a high end TV.
post #463 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Mine also came in from Washington. That's not correct about laying them flat. I helped the UPS guy get mine out of the truck. It was upright and wedged by in place by another package. Absolutely no damage to the box on mine.

That's not saying the next one won't be coming in laying flat. I really hope I don't get the one you sent back.
I guess it’s down to the driver, and whether he gives a damn. Mine did not. I helped him put it back in the truck, where he proceeded to tip it down to like 45 degrees and just let it fall the rest of the way.

The replacement won’t be from Amazon since I have the driver from hell. Besides, the wife green lighted a 75”, and I REALLY don’t want a gorilla handling that.
post #464 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’m no TV expert, but I am extremely tech savvy. I just turned 30 on March 3rd and as a present to myself I ordered a Q90R. It’s supposed to be delivered either today (Tuesday) or Wednesday. According to tracking it should be here today.

I like many was hoping big time that HDMI 2.1 would be included in the 2019 4K flagships. I’m disappointed it won’t be. Having said that I’m mainly upgrading for the gaming features and the Q90R has the ones I care about. I can’t wait to try Freesync on my Xbox One X.

I’m upgrading from a 55” 2016 Samsung KS8000. I’d like to know from you guys opinion how big of an upgrade I can expect. I’m looking forward to seeing what Samsung has improved in 3 years time. And this is the first time I’ll have ever owned a “flagship” TV from any brand, ever.

I understand this is an Audio/Visual forum, and while I love the latest tech and keep up with it almost as much as anyone, at the end of the day I just want great picture quality overall and in general. My plan was to get the best 4K tv Samsung makes this year, and in 2-4 years upgrade to an 8K 75+ MicroLed TV when 8K/MicroLed becomes more mainstream. This is meant to tide me over for the next couple years before I likely love it to a bedroom somewhere or something. Maybe even use Samsung’s 2 year upgrade since I bought it from them. Who knows, we’ll see.

But wrapping this essay up, I also bought a Panasonic 4K Blu-ray player the UB820 with a host of other 4K Blu-ray’s I cant wait to watch. I don’t get toooo hung up on the DSW or Banding or whatever else drives everyone nuts on here. I just want it to give me great picture quality and a great gaming experience. I know it won’t be perfect and I went back and forth between getting a C9 from LG.

At the end of the day though i have really enjoyed my KS8000 and I really like Samsung so I’m sticking with them for round 2. And if I love my Q90R as much as I think I will, I’ll most likely get another Samsung in the not too distant future.

I also might do an unboxing review as well as give my initial thoughts if y’all want it.
EDJK and StuN UK like this.
post #465 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 10:54 PM

I'm such a noob. That was obviously my first post above and I wanted to edit it as I wrote it pretty quickly on my phone but I don't see an edit button (on my iPhone XS Max or on my Windows 10 desktop. Am I missing it somewhere?
post #466 of 6373 Old 03-11-2019, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJon View Post
I’m no TV expert, but I am extremely tech savvy. I just turned 30 on March 3rd and as a present to myself I ordered a Q90R. It’s supposed to be delivered either today (Tuesday) or Wednesday. According to tracking it should be here today.

I like many was hoping big time that HDMI 2.1 would be included in the 2019 4K flagships. I’m disappointed it won’t be. Having said that I’m mainly upgrading for the gaming features and the Q90R has the ones I care about. I can’t wait to try Freesync on my Xbox One X.

I’m upgrading from a 55” 2016 Samsung KS8000. I’d like to know from you guys opinion how big of an upgrade I can expect. I’m looking forward to seeing what Samsung has improved in 3 years time. And this is the first time I’ll have ever owned a “flagship” TV from any brand, ever.

I understand this is an Audio/Visual forum, and while I love the latest tech and keep up with it almost as much as anyone, at the end of the day I just want great picture quality overall and in general. My plan was to get the best 4K tv Samsung makes this year, and in 2-4 years upgrade to an 8K 75+ MicroLed TV when 8K/MicroLed becomes more mainstream. This is meant to tide me over for the next couple years before I likely love it to a bedroom somewhere or something. Maybe even use Samsung’s 2 year upgrade since I bought it from them. Who knows, we’ll see.

But wrapping this essay up, I also bought a Panasonic 4K Blu-ray player the UB820 with a host of other 4K Blu-ray’s I cant wait to watch. I don’t get toooo hung up on the DSW or Banding or whatever else drives everyone nuts on here. I just want it to give me great picture quality and a great gaming experience. I know it won’t be perfect and I went back and forth between getting a C9 from LG.

At the end of the day though i have really enjoyed my KS8000 and I really like Samsung so I’m sticking with them for round 2. And if I love my Q90R as much as I think I will, I’ll most likely get another Samsung in the not too distant future.

I also might do an unboxing review as well as give my initial thoughts if y’all want it.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on how much better the image is, as I’m also going to upgrade from a KS series TV. Like you, I’m also torn between the Q90R & the C9 because of 2.1 but burn in frightens me, especially as I game for hours on end.
post #467 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:

I don't think Microled will be mainstream in 2-4 years. Anyway, congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to your impressions.
post #468 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 01:33 AM

@ Kaithian since it won’t let me quote you:

Thanks I appreciate it. Most of what I read when Samsung unveiled “The Wall” at last years CES said that MicroLed was 3-5 years away or so. That’s why I said 2-4. It probably would’ve been more accurate for me to say more affordable instead of mainstream.

Anyways that’s a ways down the road regardless. I’m also curious if/when Samsung’s 2019 Soundbars will be available for sale?
post #469 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxs_dad View Post
I gave measurements earlier on. The mount locations are maybe an inch inside the top and bottom of the bracket, which was my reference point.
I think you are misunderstanding my question. I do not need to know the dimension to the "no-gap" wall bracket. What I need to know is the distance from either the top or bottom edge of the TV to the traditional VESA mount points (upper and lower). I cannot use a "no-gap" bracket in my install because the TV would be mounted in front of a stone fireplace surround. Thanks again.
post #470 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
I'm such a noob. That was obviously my first post above and I wanted to edit it as I wrote it pretty quickly on my phone but I don't see an edit button (on my iPhone XS Max or on my Windows 10 desktop. Am I missing it somewhere?
We have a lot in common. I’m noobish too, turn twice your age this month, post from my iPhone, and am thinking of gifting myself a high end TV. Anyway, the way I get to a quote or edit window is to click on the post # of the post I want to respond to. It brings up a more graphical UI with a few options. You check the box of the post you want to quote or edit from there. I’m sure there are better tools for this but that’s what I do from my phone. Congrats and good luck on your purchase!
post #471 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding my question. I do not need to know the dimension to the "no-gap" wall bracket. What I need to know is the distance from either the top or bottom edge of the TV to the traditional VESA mount points (upper and lower). I cannot use a "no-gap" bracket in my install because the TV would be mounted in front of a stone fireplace surround. Thanks again.
Yes, those are different things. Hope you find what you need (someone who has it on a stand).
post #472 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
12 5/16" from the bottom of the TV to bottom of the first mount point.
28 1/8" from the bottom of the TV to the bottom of the upper mount point.

These measurements may not be perfectly correct, but should be within + or - 1/16"

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
post #473 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Can the user on here with this TV and the No gap wall mount take a picture for me? I’m curious to see how far off the wall it is to determine if I should purchase it or stick with the mount I currently have on my Ju7100.

I plan on ordering the 65 with the EPP 20% discount sometime this week. Can’t wait.
EdFlo likes this.
post #474 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Those mounts are expensive to. This mount is .35 off the wall, can not imagine you getting any closer, for 17 bucks might as well try it, lol.... <<< Click Here >>>
Is this actually better than the Samsung No Gap wall mount?
post #475 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
12 5/16" from the bottom of the TV to bottom of the first mount point.
28 1/8" from the bottom of the TV to the bottom of the upper mount point.

These measurements may not be perfectly correct, but should be within + or - 1/16"
Awesome! Thank-you very much!
post #476 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I was pretty much in the exact same position you are in except I was upgrading from the 55 inch 2015 JS8500. I also bought the 65 inch Q90R and the Panasonic UB820.

I just set everything up yesterday afternoon, so I haven’t had a ton of time to play with it. However, I have noticed a difference in PQ. Colors seem brighter than my old model. The blacks definitely seem more “inky” as everyone likes to say here. I can see a big difference with the anti reflective coating and the wide angle viewing. Also, the extra 10 inches really make the screen look much bigger.

Side notes aside from PQ:

I really like the one connect box. Helps give the TV a cleaner look since you don’t have a ton of cables coming out of the back. I think it’s going to look Great Wall mounted.

Also I like the Ambient Mode. Since there is an anti reflective coating and a wide angle viewing, it looks less like I’m just looking at an image on a TV screen. My only complaint about this is I wish we had as many art choices as those that buy the Frame series.

The UI is snappier and I like how it’s laid out compared to the previous version. I’m still working on getting everything connected to Alexa.
post #477 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I've been quiet too long! I've been waiting to upgrade my TV for a long time (55" 2011 Samsung D8000), and for the past 2 years I've been waiting for a TV that ticks all the boxes, but I don't have the patience to wait for microLED. I think this might be the closest thing,and I'll be stepping up to 65". As much as I want the C9, the veiwing habits in my home are way to risky, involving keeping the TV on static images several times per day, and I don't want to nag my family every time I see them with a show paused while they peruse their phone. Black details are atrocious on my current TV, and I'm super sensitive to light bloom. Sometimes I wish I was as uninformed as I was in 2011 so I could just buy the darn thing and be done with it, but thank you to the brave early adopters that post images and give impressions!
Kenbar likes this.
post #478 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvhunter View Post
I have 3 BBs near me and none of them have cable feed. I complain just about every time I go in.
Why not copy some soccer/hockey test footage to a USB stick and take that in?

Who's the daddy now???
post #479 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 09:46 AM

Anyone else getting an error when trying to checkout with the 82" on Samsung's website? "Something went wrong please try again later" I can add other models and progress through checkout just fine.
post #480 of 6373 Old 03-12-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That looks like a completely "no drama" mount and a great price. It says for "up to 70", but also 143#. Is your experience that it's the weight that should be the determinant on whether it's usable, rather than size, providing that it's VESA compatible?

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page