2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4511Likes

post #4831 of 6311 Old 07-02-2019, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
I still love my 82" Q90 but boy does the random dimming of certain scenes drive me absolutely bonkers. I really wish Samsung would fix it. It only happens on very rare occasions but when it does, it is very noticeable (especially on near black scenes).

I was watching instant family over the weekend and during the credits, they have random pictures show up, and the screen dims when the photo is first shown then brightens.

Just a minor issue.

On near white scenes, I can see a blue hue show up around the edges of the TV as well.
Or vignetting. This only shows up on my son's kids show but it drives me insane every time I see it.

99% of the real content I watch is PERFECT, besides credits but who cares.

Has anyone who calibrated their TV share the SDR and HDR settings yet? I love Standard mode.

Put the local dimming on high. It did that all the time to me with local dimming on Standard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 6311 Old 07-02-2019, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaglty View Post
Put the local dimming on high. It did that all the time to me with local dimming on Standard
I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
post #4833 of 6311 Old 07-02-2019, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaglty View Post
I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Mind sharing your settings via PM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4834 of 6311 Old 07-02-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Just ordered a 75”. Should have it in a few weeks. This is going to be quite the shock coming from a 60”!

One question... anyone have a timeline on Calman software supporting auto calibration? I own a colorimeter on the list so maybe I do it myself this round. Maybe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Terminader likes this.
post #4835 of 6311 Old 07-02-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionblue View Post
Just ordered a 75”. Should have it in a few weeks. This is going to be quite the shock coming from a 60”!

One question... anyone have a timeline on Calman software supporting auto calibration? I own a colorimeter on the list so maybe I do it myself this round. Maybe.

I just emailed them today asking that very question, among others. They said AutoCal will be available in the next release at the end of the month. But beware that you won't be able to calibrate HDR without an adequate pattern generator. The built in Calman Client3 pattern generator is only good for SDR. I'm still trying to figure out the HDR part without having to buy a VideoForge Pro.
Nillaz likes this.
post #4836 of 6311 Old 07-02-2019, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 12671 Post(s)
Liked: 11901
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
Are all the HDMI ports the same? Example Sony says certain hdmi ports are configured for 4k others are not.
When reading some info in the q90, it talks about using hdmi 4. What is so special about that port vs others?

Also Sony says if you use a certain port, make sure to go into the menu and activate this or that feature also for 4k HDR
Does the Q90R require that?

all Samsung ports are the same as far as hdr/hdmi 2.0b. I believe port 4 is for ARC and/or vrr for gaming?

I keep HDMI COLOR turned ON for any inputs that have a 4k signal going into it.
post #4837 of 6311 Old 07-02-2019, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
all Samsung ports are the same as far as hdr/hdmi 2.0b. I believe port 4 is for ARC and/or vrr for gaming?

I keep HDMI COLOR turned ON for any inputs that have a 4k signal going into it.
There are 4 hdmi ports.

I believe the differences are:
HDMI 1 port: HDMI 2.1 HDCP 2.2, 4k @120 hz
HDMI 2 port: ?
HDMI 3 port: ARC
HDMI 4 port: HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2

I would assume, not needing ARC, not gaming, then port 1 would be the best for 4k HDR movies?

Aren't all ports 4k HDR?
Where do I find HDMI COLOR to turn on?

7.2.4, AV7702mkII, MM8077, MC205, UDP-203, 82Q90R, Tivo Bolt, Richard Gray 400s, B&W Nautilus, Fathom F113, Harmony Elite

Last edited by bekindrewind; 07-02-2019 at 10:24 PM.
post #4838 of 6311 Old 07-02-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorArchitect View Post
I just emailed them today asking that very question, among others. They said AutoCal will be available in the next release at the end of the month. But beware that you won't be able to calibrate HDR without an adequate pattern generator. The built in Calman Client3 pattern generator is only good for SDR. I'm still trying to figure out the HDR part without having to buy a VideoForge Pro.

That's great news to hear on Calman. I've been checking the calibration threads daily hoping to see just this.

If you don't want to buy something like a Videoforge or a Murideo you could get an HDFury Integral. Calman can talk to the Integral directly in order to force HDR mode, and while it's not the cleanest setup at around $250 it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a dedicated pattern generator.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #4839 of 6311 Old 07-02-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
There are 4 hdmi ports.

I would assume, not needing ARC, not gaming, then port 1 would be the best for 4k HDR movies?

Aren't all ports 4k HDR?

all 4 ports are 4k hdr for movies. you may be correct that arc is now port 3, it was port 4 before and they may have moved it.

hdmi color is under general then go to external device manager.
post #4840 of 6311 Old 07-02-2019, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are 4 hdmi ports.

Aren't all ports 4k HDR?

HDMI 4 is the port that can accept 4K/120 4:2:0
All other ports can do 4K/60 with various chroma settings

They changed the name of UHD Color this year. It can found under Settings/General/External Device Manager/Input Signal Plus

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #4841 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman777 View Post
I was just at Best Buy and the Samsung Q90R had the best picture quality at the store and they had a LG C9 OLED right next to the Samsung Q90R! I'm going to wait until these prices come down more because as these OLED's come down in price so will the QLED's in the near future..
How far Q90R beats the LG C9 oled?
post #4842 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Color Banding

I just received my new 65 Q90r (coming from a Q9fn that had really bad vertical banding and DSE) and I'm happy to report that the DSE is much better (but still visible on some test screens) but I'm seeing a lot more "color banding" than the Q9 (or other TVs). What I mean by color banding is I see different lines of gradients in a background that should be a solid color (blue, red, and black especially). I see it most often with HD content through Xfinity, but I also see it with some Netflix broadcasts as well (most notably the Red marvel background/logo at the start of any marvel movie).
Is this purely a content/signal problem?
Are there any calibration setting that I can adjust to make this look better?
post #4843 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaizer View Post
The picture pops more with the Samsung that why they are coming out with Quantum Dot OLED's soon

Bottom Emission OLED's are killing themselves with Burn-In that's why they are going to Top Emission OLED's very soon
post #4844 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Ah. Yeah I totally forgot about the pattern generator for HDR. At that cost it might be cheaper to have a pro come and do it. In either case I need to research this further I guess.

post #4845 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
That's great news to hear on Calman. I've been checking the calibration threads daily hoping to see just this.

If you don't want to buy something like a Videoforge or a Murideo you could get an HDFury Integral. Calman can talk to the Integral directly in order to force HDR mode, and while it's not the cleanest setup at around $250 it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a dedicated pattern generator.

Thanks for that info. Gives me something else to research!

post #4846 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
I guess there's no longer a point in being quiet about this if Samsung themselves have spilled the beans, so here is my mea culpa...it's not a troll, this is actually happening. Expect it via update in August.

And before anyone asks...I don't know if it will be pushed to the Korean site first, but I suspect it will be.
This removes the only reason I had for going with the Q900 over the Q90.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #4847 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I'll definitely look into this, but if you wouldn't mind, could you elaborate a little on the HDFury Integral? You can use it to do an actual HDR calibration? How does it work? Does it create an HDR pattern, or is it somehow converting the Calman Client3 pattern to HDR?

It appears the HDFury Integral 4k60 4:4:4 listed in the Calman specs for supported pattern sources is no longer available for purchase. Do you know if the HDFury Integral 2 will work with Calman Home for HDR calibration? (https://www.hdfury.com/product/integral-2/) or Amazon Link.
post #4848 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
I guess there's no longer a point in being quiet about this if Samsung themselves have spilled the beans, so here is my mea culpa...it's not a troll, this is actually happening. Expect it via update in August.

And before anyone asks...I don't know if it will be pushed to the Korean site first, but I suspect it will be.
Awesome news! That was just about the only thing I was missing vs other TVs.
post #4849 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdonnel View Post
I just received my new 65 Q90r (coming from a Q9fn that had really bad vertical banding and DSE) and I'm happy to report that the DSE is much better (but still visible on some test screens) but I'm seeing a lot more "color banding" than the Q9 (or other TVs). What I mean by color banding is I see different lines of gradients in a background that should be a solid color (blue, red, and black especially). I see it most often with HD content through Xfinity, but I also see it with some Netflix broadcasts as well (most notably the Red marvel background/logo at the start of any marvel movie).
Is this purely a content/signal problem?
Are there any calibration setting that I can adjust to make this look better?

The red Marvel banding is the source, I've seen complaints from various tv owners about that, including seeing it on my own Q9FN. for cable, put digital clean view on low or auto and it'll help the compression banding you're seeing.
post #4850 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
The built in Calman Client3 pattern generator is only good for SDR. I'm still trying to figure out the HDR part without having to buy a VideoForge Pro.
Have you tried madTPG?
post #4851 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
Have you tried madTPG?
I haven't tried anything yet. My TV is being delivered on Friday and this will be my first attempt at trying to calibrate a TV. I've only ever calibrated monitors on PCs using ICC profiles. I am still in the information gathering phase. I thought I had it figured out until Calman told me that Client3 pattern generator won't work for HDR.

I'll have to look into madTPG. Do you know if it works with Calman, or would I have to use something else?
post #4852 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
I'll have to look into madTPG. Do you know if it works with Calman, or would I have to use something like HCFR?
I've used it with CalMAN Home for Samsung, for manual HDR calibration. But, as I've noted in an earlier post, I've had very little success in actually calibrating in HDR mode, and I don't think the problem is madTPG. I'm very interested to see if Autocal works any better, and very interested to hear how others fare with HDR calibration.
post #4853 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll definitely look into this, but if you wouldn't mind, could you elaborate a little on the HDFury Integral? You can use it to do an actual HDR calibration? How does it work? Does it create an HDR pattern, or is it somehow converting the Calman Client3 pattern to HDR?

It appears the HDFury Integral 4k60 4:4:4 listed in the Calman specs for supported pattern sources is no longer available for purchase. Do you know if the HDFury Integral 2 will work with Calman Home for HDR calibration? (https://www.hdfury.com/product/integral-2/) or Amazon Link.

My bad, I didn't even think about the fact that the original Integral is discontinued. I would email/pm either HDFury or Spectracal for guidance on whether Integral 2 works or not.

All the Integral does is inject the proper HDR metadata. You still need a pattern source but it doesn't have to be a Videoforge. Mobileforge is a pretty popular DIY solution for this and you can run it on a low cost and easily available device like a Fire TV stick. I don't see why you couldn't use Client3 to do the same, but once again you may want to verify with Spectracal.

So it goes something like this: Fire Stick (or whatever pattern source you use) gets plugged into Integral and Integral gets plugged into TV. Calman sends the patterns to Mobileforge which passes them to the Integral. Calman instructs the Integral to inject the HDR metadata, which then passes the pattern to the TV.

post #4854 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaizer View Post
I was at BestBuy today too. Honestly, in Magnolia it was the opposite, C9 looked gorgeous, but when outside C9 was like a mirror in dark scenes, very distracting.
My room is relatively dimmed, and I am now again struggling whether to go with 82" Q90 or 77" C9.
post #4855 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
My bad, I didn't even think about the fact that the original Integral is discontinued. I would email/pm either HDFury or Spectracal for guidance on whether Integral 2 works or not.
According to Calman/Spectracal the Integral 2 is not currently supported by Calman Home. They continue to claim that you need a VideoForge Pro. If someone has an Integral 2 and Calman Home, they could test it. Maybe it will look like an original Integral to Calman?

Does anyone know where I can get an original HDFury Integral 4k 4:4:4? Even if used?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
post #4856 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
According to Calman/Spectracal the Integral 2 is not currently supported by Calman Home. They continue to claim that you need a VideoForge Pro. If someone has an Integral 2 and Calman Home, they could test it. Maybe it will look like an original Integral to Calman?

Does anyone know where I can get an original HDFury Integral 4k 4:4:4? Even if used?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Just looked up pricing on the VideoForge Pro and that isn’t happening anytime soon. Very pricey. Guess I’ll be hopping over to the calibration forum and see who’s available in my area. Have to get the TV first and let it break in of course.

post #4857 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Lightbulb

When start making Inkjet Printed TV's in the near future all TV's will be much cheaper..even QLED's!

They talk about this over at Charbax on You Tube !
post #4858 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post

Has anyone who calibrated their TV share the SDR and HDR settings yet? I love Standard mode.
My 82" Q90 is being calibrated as I type this. He is with Magnolia, he said they don't do HDR calibration as the TV locks most settings, they just do SDR day and SDR night.

I will share settings for $20 Just kidding I will post in a bit when he finishes up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cali.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	884.0 KB
ID:	2587162  
Terminader and gocubs418 like this.
post #4859 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello just wondering if any 82 inch owners can give me a idea how bad the blooming is. I heard dse is very good While that is very important to me cause dse drives me crazy but don’t know if 82 if worth it over 75 if blooming is gunna be that much worse
post #4860 of 6311 Old 07-03-2019, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirekti View Post
I was at BestBuy today too. Honestly, in Magnolia it was the opposite, C9 looked gorgeous, but when outside C9 was like a mirror in dark scenes, very distracting.
My room is relatively dimmed, and I am now again struggling whether to go with 82" Q90 or 77" C9.
Your decision may have been decided for you. My buddy loved my TV so much more than his OLED that he decided to purchase a new TV. Problem according to him is that the 82" version is no longer available to purchase at the Samsung website. Does anyone else see the 82" Q90R missing, and the price on the smaller ones seem to have gone up. Hmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays