2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4512Likes

post #4861 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRaysGS430 View Post
Your decision may have been decided for you. My buddy loved my TV so much more than his OLED that he decided to purchase a new TV. Problem according to him is that the 82" version is no longer available to purchase at the Samsung website. Does anyone else see the 82" Q90R missing, and the price on the smaller ones seem to have gone up. Hmmm.

The 82 is available on Samsung. I know cause I almost ordered it last night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
My 82" Q90 is being calibrated as I type this. He is with Magnolia, he said they don't do HDR calibration as the TV locks most settings, they just do SDR day and SDR night.

I will share settings for $20 Just kidding I will post in a bit when he finishes up.
this is an interesting setup
post #4863 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
My 82" Q90 is being calibrated as I type this. He is with Magnolia, he said they don't do HDR calibration as the TV locks most settings, they just do SDR day and SDR night.

I will share settings for $20 Just kidding I will post in a bit when he finishes up.
thats generous of you. thanks... as a side note, your cable management is killing me. I would have a coronary having those cables exposed the way there are. :O
Side NOTE... YOU WILL LOVE THE TV. I love mine and I was leaning hard on purchasing an OLED. Glad I decided against it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4864 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionblue View Post
The 82 is available on Samsung. I know cause I almost ordered it last night.

unless I am totally blind. there are only two options available.

https://www.samsung.com/au/tvs/qled-...QA75Q90RAWXXY/
post #4865 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
unless I am totally blind. there are only two options available.

https://www.samsung.com/au/tvs/qled-...QA75Q90RAWXXY/

Didn’t realize you’re not in the US. It’s available there.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...qn65q90rafxza/

post #4866 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetalhead55 View Post
Hello just wondering if any 82 inch owners can give me a idea how bad the blooming is. I heard dse is very good While that is very important to me cause dse drives me crazy but don’t know if 82 if worth it over 75 if blooming is gunna be that much worse
Before my purchase I've heard people saying there are issues with DSE, blooming, but now that I owned my TV for two weeks, I can say that I've not experienced any issue with my TV yet. KNOCK on wood. Pull the trigger, and if your not happy with the picture, just return it, or ask samsung to send you a new one. People always complain, but you have 15 days to return the TV if you purchase from Samsung. Pull the trigger. Just do it. :-)
Terminader and mirekti like this.
post #4867 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Didn’t realize you’re not in the US. It’s available there.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...qn65q90rafxza/

Dohhh, Don't I feel like a horse's but. Somehow I got pointed to the AU website.
You are 100% correct.
post #4868 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New 82 inch q90r owner. Coming from a LG B6 OLED that ended up having a serious color issue in the middle of the screen (yellows looked green, no idea how this happened, ive seen threads out there saying maybe heat damage). So after being burnt by OLED, and having a bright room, this was the next best. The ambient mode was also useful in selling the lady on an 82 inch monster on the wall.

However all is not perfect with the sammy, either. After throwing the box away, I noticed a few spots on the screen during panning bright scenes. on closer examination they looked to be damaged back lighting or something. not really isolated to individual pixels. My best attempt at a picture attached. Theres a few of these, but one is clearly noticeable at my viewing distance if one were watching a light background panning shots, like hockey.

Samsung care came out today to review it for a warranty repair, and looks like they'll swap the panel out. Fingers crossed. This thing is so heavy they should be sending two techs out to do this, but i imagine I'll be lending a hand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190624_213044.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	550.3 KB
ID:	2587174  
post #4869 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
thats generous of you. thanks... as a side note, your cable management is killing me. I would have a coronary having those cables exposed the way there are. :O
Side NOTE... YOU WILL LOVE THE TV. I love mine and I was leaning hard on purchasing an OLED. Glad I decided against it.
Patience friend, cable management doesn't matter when you have a 60" subwoofer sitting in-front of the cables . These bad boys are due to me in a couple of weeks, 24" drivers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Monster.PNG
Views:	58
Size:	920.6 KB
ID:	2587202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark Grey Finish.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	2587204  
Mikejl and Majister like this.
post #4870 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetalhead55 View Post
Hello just wondering if any 82 inch owners can give me a idea how bad the blooming is. I heard dse is very good While that is very important to me cause dse drives me crazy but don’t know if 82 if worth it over 75 if blooming is gunna be that much worse
DSE is present on my 82Q90, much less than the 82 Q900 I had but still annoyingly noticeable.

Blooming control is very good.

Brightness fluctuations are a bit strange as the dimming algorithm tries to command the picture. Very noticeable on Law and Order when they flash addresses as the scene changes (white text on black background), the text appears bright for 1 second them significantly dims. I was watching Americas Got Talent the other night and Simon had a bright white shirt on and every time it cut to him/away from him the fluctuations were maddening. Those were the only two cases that I noticed it though. It will be interesting to see how it reacts post calibration, I saw the report and the blue level was off the chart. Calibrator said they are always like that, higher blue levels increase the total brightness of the TV.

Last edited by Todeseng3l; 07-03-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #4871 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
Why don't you use the YouTube app on the TV and search for 4K videos.
you are correct........never thought of that
never had internet fast enough to worry about it

Remembering Dad's passing 01/16/2017

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #4872 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorArchitect View Post

My wife knew I really wanted an 80"+ screen. If I had gone ahead and gotten the 82" now, I'm not sure I could have convinced the wife that we "needed" to upgrade again in a couple years.
True, unless she changes her mind a few years from and says you got the right size honey

Quote:
Just ordered a 75”. Should have it in a few weeks. This is going to be quite the shock coming from a 60”!
Yep, the 75" has 56.3% more screen area
post #4873 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Recent owner of a 82Q90R and spending time with the settings.
Tivo, Oppo to Marantz AV7702mkII. AV7702mkII to one connect box HDMI 1. Harmony remote controls everything.

When powering everything on, example Blu-ray, the Q90 screen starts black, then a blue spinning wheel. When comparing with the LGC9 next to it, the Q90 takes too long to get the picture up and running. The C9 shows everything instantly, example the WB logo where the Q90 takes so long it may not show the logo. When Youtube is playing though the tivo, the Q90 has the spinning wheel, or no spinning wheel but no picture for a moment or two, then the picture. Never a problem for the C9. Sometimes when watching short youtube videos (2-3 min) and I let it automatically continue to the next video, the Q90 will disconnect, no video no sound. Not so with the C9. I don't want to use the hub to connect the oppo, tivo, use the tv's apps (Youtube) and use ARC to get the sound back to the processor. ARC will not do Atmos, DTS. I'd like my processor to handle everything. No problems with any other tv I've had. Q90 is having handshake issues and it's beginning to look like a deal breaker.

Are others having these issues? Is the problem the hdmi 1 jack on the hub? I could try the other 3, but tv is wall mounted and not easy to make changes.

Here's one tweak I found helpful. When watching anything that has complete black extending to the borders of the tv, the 1/4" grayish frame border will show that's the edge of the tv. I applied a 1/4" black pinstripe tape to the inner beveled edge only, not extending to the side edge of the tv. Now when blacks extend to the edge of the tv, the black disappears into the dark room. Just like the C9. Picture is more immersive when there isn't a border showing a rectangle.

7.2.4, AV7702mkII, MM8077, MC205, UDP-203, 82Q90R, Tivo Bolt, Richard Gray 400s, B&W Nautilus, Fathom F113, Harmony Elite
post #4874 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
He is with Magnolia, he said they don't do HDR calibration as the TV locks most settings
Interesting, that's the first indication I've seen from someone else. What's odd is that settings aren't disabled, like they are for some other picture modes; they're enabled, but for me they just don't do much of anything.
post #4875 of 6324 Old 07-03-2019, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman777 View Post
The picture pops more with the Samsung that why they are coming out with Quantum Dot OLED's soon

Bottom Emission OLED's are killing themselves with Burn-In that's why they are going to Top Emission OLED's very soon
yea i always hear about the pop effect in samsung.

the think the pop effect will make video games and 3d movies look great. and Oled for movies and tv shows....and sports.

agree?
post #4876 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaizer View Post
yea i always hear about the pop effect in samsung.

the think the pop effect will make video games and 3d movies look great. and Oled for movies and tv shows....and sports.

agree?
Kinda hard to watch 3D movies when TVs aren't 3D anymore. Pop is a preference either way. I personally like it more than oled for everything, but others sometimes disagree.
glock17er likes this.
post #4877 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
Recent owner of a 82Q90R and spending time with the settings.
Tivo, Oppo to Marantz AV7702mkII. AV7702mkII to one connect box HDMI 1. Harmony remote controls everything.

When powering everything on, example Blu-ray, the Q90 screen starts black, then a blue spinning wheel. When comparing with the LGC9 next to it, the Q90 takes too long to get the picture up and running. The C9 shows everything instantly, example the WB logo where the Q90 takes so long it may not show the logo. When Youtube is playing though the tivo, the Q90 has the spinning wheel, or no spinning wheel but no picture for a moment or two, then the picture. Never a problem for the C9. Sometimes when watching short youtube videos (2-3 min) and I let it automatically continue to the next video, the Q90 will disconnect, no video no sound. Not so with the C9. I don't want to use the hub to connect the oppo, tivo, use the tv's apps (Youtube) and use ARC to get the sound back to the processor. ARC will not do Atmos, DTS. I'd like my processor to handle everything. No problems with any other tv I've had. Q90 is having handshake issues and it's beginning to look like a deal breaker.

Are others having these issues? Is the problem the hdmi 1 jack on the hub? I could try the other 3, but tv is wall mounted and not easy to make changes.

Here's one tweak I found helpful. When watching anything that has complete black extending to the borders of the tv, the 1/4" grayish frame border will show that's the edge of the tv. I applied a 1/4" black pinstripe tape to the inner beveled edge only, not extending to the side edge of the tv. Now when blacks extend to the edge of the tv, the black disappears into the dark room. Just like the C9. Picture is more immersive when there isn't a border showing a rectangle.
Hi, I have the 65Q90R and don't have these issues. I have an Onkyo TX-NR17, Satellite box (TV), Xbox-X and a PC with Kodi, all controlled by an Harmony Remote too. I use 3 HDMI ports of the connect box for Sattelite box, Xbox and PC). When I start the TV with the remove, it starts the TV instantly and the Onkyo takes a few seconds more but it's normal. When I switch to another activity with the remote, it's pretty fast too. I had a LG 65C6 before and it takes the same time, no differences.
Terminader and gimpygod like this.
post #4878 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

That calibration will be lost when you upgrade the TV's firmware? I'm thinking in calibrating mine, but if I have to recalibrate each time I upgrade the firmware... not a good scenario...
post #4879 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
One Month Update

I've had the Q90R for about a month and have tried just about everything. Wanted to share my thoughts so far.

No complaints. Quality is great, still primarily using standard picture with reduced backlight for my defaults and running the latest firmware.

Setup:

65Q90R
Onkyo TX-RZ830 (recent purchase and also happy)
Xbox One X
Fios TV One

I've watched Amazon, Netflix, and Youtube on the TV and through Xbox and everything works well. I did need to update some Xbox settings when I upgraded to a 4K tv and Atmos capable receiver.

I really enjoy Airplay 2 with my Mac and have used it a few times to share my screen with the family.

Happy to hear about eArc support being added around August....woohoo! My receiver and TV will be able to support it with firmware upgrades.

I do miss channel numbers on the remote. Haven't bothered with Harmony...will occasionally use Fios One TV remote instead (nice backlit remote). I also got the chance to watch one of the first FIFA 4K transmitted games...pretty cool that 4K is finally becoming more broadly available (channel 1498 for me, so be aware that you may need to use certain channels.

Pleased with most HD cable content (maybe the advantage of Fios TV One upgrade?) but some channels are so good that I have occasional challenges confirming if I am watching 4K.

I did reset my setting on last firmware upgrade and then re-adjusted to what looked good to me.
post #4880 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlolo View Post
That calibration will be lost when you upgrade the TV's firmware? I'm thinking in calibrating mine, but if I have to recalibrate each time I upgrade the firmware... not a good scenario...
Firmware upgrades don't normally alter settings; the recent firmware upgrade didn't change mine. But, firmware changes may alter picture processing, which can affect calibration. For example, an earlier post of mine.
post #4881 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
it seems the 82 only has it on the frame.

My 82 also had a film on the 1/2" strip at the bottom, presumably what hides the IR sensors.
post #4882 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
Firmware upgrades don't normally alter settings; the recent firmware upgrade didn't change mine. But, firmware changes may alter picture processing, which can affect calibration. For example, an earlier post of mine.

So, if firmware upgrade changes white balance like you said on that post, it does affect calibration, so it would need to be re-calibrated again after firm upgrade, wouldn't it?
post #4883 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlolo View Post
So, if firmware upgrade changes white balance like you said on that post, it does affect calibration, so it would need to be re-calibrated again after firm upgrade, wouldn't it?
Yes, although in that particular case, the apparent change was only for a mode (PC/Game) that I'd guess is unlikely to be calibrated by a paid calibrator.
Mikejl likes this.
post #4884 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb2227 View Post
However all is not perfect with the sammy, either. After throwing the box away, I noticed a few spots on the screen during panning bright scenes. on closer examination they looked to be damaged back lighting or something. not really isolated to individual pixels. My best attempt at a picture attached. Theres a few of these, but one is clearly noticeable at my viewing distance if one were watching a light background panning shots, like hockey.

Samsung care came out today to review it for a warranty repair, and looks like they'll swap the panel out. Fingers crossed. This thing is so heavy they should be sending two techs out to do this, but i imagine I'll be lending a hand
Panel lottery. I keep the box, for these types of reasons. My 82" had a 2" x 1/8" clear crease behind the screen. No scratch on the surface and would not wipe away. It's clearly (pun) behind the screen. Once you notice these imperfections, you can't unsee it. I could see this from my sitting position, 9' away. Store replaced the tv.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2259.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	2587500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2261.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2587502  

7.2.4, AV7702mkII, MM8077, MC205, UDP-203, 82Q90R, Tivo Bolt, Richard Gray 400s, B&W Nautilus, Fathom F113, Harmony Elite
post #4885 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced007 View Post
Hi, I have the 65Q90R and don't have these issues. I have an Onkyo TX-NR17, Satellite box (TV), Xbox-X and a PC with Kodi, all controlled by an Harmony Remote too. I use 3 HDMI ports of the connect box for Sattelite box, Xbox and PC). When I start the TV with the remove, it starts the TV instantly and the Onkyo takes a few seconds more but it's normal. When I switch to another activity with the remote, it's pretty fast too. I had a LG 65C6 before and it takes the same time, no differences.
Good for you
I have suspect the Marantz and Samsung are not playing nicely with each other. I've read Denon has issues with certain tv's and Marantz/Denon share information on how they are built, being they are under the same umbrella. So not to isolate Denon/Marantz, other brands misbehave too.

post #4886 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 170
For those of you with the 82Q90, what is the distance from the lower hole, for a wall mount set screw, to the bottom edge of the set?
post #4887 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Thoughts on Sony 930C -> Samsung Q90R?

Are there any Q90R owners who used to own the Sony 930C? I'm a 930C owner who has been satisfied with the set since I got it in 2014. I know it's not the cutting edge anymore but it still seems to output a satisfying picture in my mind so I am trying to decide whether the Q90R would provide enough of an upgrade to justify replacing the Sony. I watch a lot of cable TV and also 4k discs (the 930C is HDR capable). I tend to hold onto my televisions for a decent amount of time - my last TV before the 930C was a Sony widescreen CRT that I had for almost 10 years - so getting a new set after "only" five years of ownership would be early for me. I'd be interested if any 930C owner who switched to the Q90R thought it was a significant boost in picture quality.
post #4888 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post
Are there any Q90R owners who used to own the Sony 930C? I'm a 930C owner who has been satisfied with the set since I got it in 2014. I know it's not the cutting edge anymore but it still seems to output a satisfying picture in my mind so I am trying to decide whether the Q90R would provide enough of an upgrade to justify replacing the Sony. I watch a lot of cable TV and also 4k discs (the 930C is HDR capable). I tend to hold onto my televisions for a decent amount of time - my last TV before the 930C was a Sony widescreen CRT that I had for almost 10 years - so getting a new set after "only" five years of ownership would be early for me. I'd be interested if any 930C owner who switched to the Q90R thought it was a significant boost in picture quality.

Why the urge to upgrade after only 5 years this time?

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #4889 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Why the urge to upgrade after only 5 years this time?
I have the sense that tv tech advanced at a far greater pace in the past five years than other consumer electronics. For example, I also got my laptop in 2014 but I have little desire to replace it because I don't think the new stuff would make a noticeable difference to me. I am not sure the same plateau applies to televisions. HDR didn't really exist on consumer sets when the Sony 930C came out in 2014 but Sony backported it to the model. It looks good but I have a nagging feeling it could look a lot better on a current TV that was released with HDR in mind. Same goes for screen reflectivity and viewing angles - the Sony is basically a mirror and you must sit directly in front of it to avoid color and contrast fade.

I also think the 930C was the first Sony model line based on Android and being the pioneer meant the interface was laggy, buggy and prone to crashes. It's stabilized since the 930C was updated to Android Nougat last year but it's not getting any more updates and the hardware will forever be underpowered. The difference in interface responsiveness between the 930C and the Sony A9F that I got my parents is night and day.

I can continue to live with these limitations because none of them make the 930C unusable but if the picture quality of the Samsung 90R is enough of a step up, I think I could persuade myself to pull the trigger.

Last edited by peterlee; 07-04-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #4890 of 6324 Old 07-04-2019, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
For those of you with the 82Q90, what is the distance from the lower hole, for a wall mount set screw, to the bottom edge of the set?
18"
Ted99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page