2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4523Likes

post #4951 of 6352 Old 07-08-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Finally here and excited!

Our Q90R 82” just got here, July 8 2019 after ordering June 20th from Samsung directly. I am a bit upset with Both Samsung and the delivery company and wanted to bounce what happened off you all for perspective and advice. When ordering I told the sales person I am quadriplegic and would need the beast brought inside at least, no problem. The tv arrived here with no call half hour before as indicated and only one delivery person instead of the three that the shipping order mandates. One person for this ginormous set is crazy and, as a topper, the tv was left outside. The box looks good (pics attached) so hopefully all is well. Guess I am upset because mah baby was exposed to unnecessary risk due to poor business practice. What say you all? Finally the panel number is FA01. https://imgur.com/gallery/LfS1PLy
Tony1 likes this.

Last edited by gimpygod; 07-08-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Fixing pictures and adding text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 6352 Old 07-08-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpygod View Post
Our Q90R 82” just got here, July 8 2019 after ordering June 20th from Samsung directly. I am a bit upset with Both Samsung and the delivery company and wanted to bounce what happened off you all for perspective and advice. When ordering I told the sales person I am quadriplegic and would need the beast brought inside at least, no problem. The tv arrived here with no call half hour before as indicated and only one delivery person instead of the three that the shipping order mandates. One person for this ginormous set is crazy and, as a topper, the tv was left outside. The box looks good (pics attached) so hopefully all is well. Guess I am upset because mah baby was exposed to unnecessary risk due to poor business practice. What say you all? Finally the panel number is FA01. https://imgur.com/gallery/LfS1PLy
That's life as we know it. If no harm, no foul. Move on. enjoy your fabulous new TV.
gimpygod likes this.
post #4953 of 6352 Old 07-08-2019, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
the gamma on the TV is blacked out? it shouldn't be. try raising it to plus 2 and if that isn't enough put contrast enhancer on low. both of those will help crush.
I have spent 2-3 hours trying to get this TV to look respectable this evening and it's just not going to cooperate. I can't get it to look good with either the AppleTV or the native apps. There's a ton of screen grain and terrible contrast no matter which modes or settings I use. I think I may have a bad panel? Or maybe I'm just spoiled by OLED?

Anyway, I think I'll return it and try to get a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4954 of 6352 Old 07-08-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
oh...

Apologies if my answer is unsatisfying but you have plenty of time before you have to make a decision. No need to sweat the small stuff for now.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #4955 of 6352 Old 07-08-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6675 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
Quote:
So you have your house battery backed and that backed up by a generator, so if the power goes out in your town you can still watch an 82” tv in full surround sound? Don’t take this wrong but I love ya man!
You can one up this setup, if you happen to have a natural gas well on your property, get a natural gas whole house generator, you could potentially power everything in your house with no gas charge and run it forever/until your generator breaks.
Ted99 and haevolution like this.
post #4956 of 6352 Old 07-08-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You can one up this setup, if you happen to have a natural gas well on your property, get a natural gas whole house generator, you could potentially power everything in your house with no gas charge and run it forever/until your generator breaks.
You are a genius!
post #4957 of 6352 Old 07-08-2019, 08:39 PM

Ok, this tv is awesome! And huge! Way taller than me in my wheelchair when on the floor. The picture is incredible and now I know what you all are talking about when saying POP. it’s candy for my eyeballs. Screen mirroring works great. My tv only came with one remote is that correct? And for the life of me I can’t get arc sound to come out of my Sony srt-da5100es. All we did was connect the Samsung hdmi from old 75hu8550 into hdmi 3 one connect box. Switch from tv speakers to receiver and nada. Turned on imput signal plus to no effect. Finally my DirecTV is connected to the Sony receiver and sound from the receiver will play through tv speakers... anyway extremely happy so far and thanks to owners on this thread for recommending buying, much appreciated.
BRAC and ray0414 like this.
post #4958 of 6352 Old 07-08-2019, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12679 Post(s)
Liked: 11914
Quote:
Ok, this tv is awesome! And huge! Way taller than me in my wheelchair when on the floor. The picture is incredible and now I know what you all are talking about when saying POP. it’s candy for my eyeballs. Screen mirroring works great. My tv only came with one remote is that correct? And for the life of me I can’t get arc sound to come out of my Sony srt-da5100es. All we did was connect the Samsung hdmi from old 75hu8550 into hdmi 3 one connect box. Switch from tv speakers to receiver and nada. Turned on imput signal plus to no effect. Finally my DirecTV is connected to the Sony receiver and sound from the receiver will play through tv speakers... anyway extremely happy so far and thanks to owners on this thread for recommending buying, much appreciated.

congrats! how many people did it take to get setup? mine is coming in less than 2 weeks and meanwhile I'm doing some much needed remodeling to my living room which means I haven't been watching any TV or movies so I'll have to play catch up in a couple of weeks.
post #4959 of 6352 Old 07-08-2019, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I've been tweeting my tv for the last week and would like to compare it to what the professional reviewers picture calibration setting are.
Would someone please provide a list of which reviewers share their settings.
Here is rtings settings:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...-qled/settings
Elavarasan likes this.

7.2.4, AV7702mkII, MM8077, MC205, UDP-203, 82Q90R, Tivo Bolt, Richard Gray 400s, B&W Nautilus, Fathom F113, Harmony Elite
post #4960 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Gas well is gilding the lilly. Just a natural gas supply is enough. Unless there has been a pipeline rupture, natural gas supply is not lost (they have their own emergency generators, plus the pressurization plants are generally somewhere distant from the end user). I have this at my house in Houston and have never lost power despite three 500 year floods in the past four years.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #4961 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6675 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
Gas well is gilding the lilly. Just a natural gas supply is enough. Unless there has been a pipeline rupture, natural gas supply is not lost (they have their own emergency generators, plus the pressurization plants are generally somewhere distant from the end user). I have this at my house in Houston and have never lost power despite three 500 year floods in the past four years.
I was talking about a zombie apocalypse, those generators at the natural gas companies would not be running for long in that situation......lol
Ted99 and Terminader like this.
post #4962 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
congrats! how many people did it take to get setup? mine is coming in less than 2 weeks and meanwhile I'm doing some much needed remodeling to my living room which means I haven't been watching any TV or movies so I'll have to play catch up in a couple of weeks.
We used 3 to lift the tv and stand from floor on to 27” console...it’s really unwieldy my friend. Worth it! Looks great.
post #4963 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
We used 3 to lift the tv and stand from floor on to 27” console...it’s really unwieldy my friend. Worth it! Looks great.
We had 2 men and one woman lift the 82" onto the no gap mount. It could be done with 2 men, but not easily. The third person really helps.
post #4964 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
I’m really enjoying the Q90 so far, but I’m still seeing a lot of blooming.

I think the problem for me is that I’m still in critical testing mode, after having so many sets in here over the past 5 months. My brain has been programmed to look for these flaws and now I’m having trouble not seeing them. Lol

I know that the Q90 is likely as good as it gets for blooming control, so I have to stop myself from thinking about it and just enjoy the set. Easier said than done.
Same here.
In the last 3 weeks I've had in my house 85Z9G vs 77C9 vs 82Q90R.
Ditto on Q90R blooming issues and keeping black black, when tweeting X related to contrast (There are more settings then just contrast that will affect contrast). Adjusting X settings, affects others. Like a can of worms.
Really hard not to focus on these things when an OLED is right next to them.

I'm coming from a 70" Sharp Elite, which had great black. Sold to a friend who's tv died. I'm simply (which is not turning out to be simple) trying to find a larger, better, replacement. OLED 77" is largest (88" $30k not in my pay grade) or LED with OLEDish black.
OLED is only 7" larger. 82"-85" much more immersive. I prefer the OLED, but larger screen immersion carries so much weight.

All tv's have issues, it's what you personally choose to live with or without.

7.2.4, AV7702mkII, MM8077, MC205, UDP-203, 82Q90R, Tivo Bolt, Richard Gray 400s, B&W Nautilus, Fathom F113, Harmony Elite

Last edited by bekindrewind; 07-09-2019 at 09:49 AM.
post #4965 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

With the stand at 5" and height of TV 40", that puts the center of the TV at 52", which is 10" higher than the 42" recommended height for "average" viewers. Mine is around 50ish" too btw as I lean back in my sofa. What are others mounting heights? Seems like anything lower would look too close to the ground.
post #4966 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 12:53 PM

trucking company called to schedule delivery of the 82Q90R and to my surprise they were ready to bring it Thursday or Friday but I'm working both those days and my living room won't be done til at least the weekend and I have very limited space. So I scheduled for Monday.

Heres the crappy part. The Shipping company used by Video and Audio Center is using a curb side drop off and there will only be 1 driver. so I'll have to have a couple of guys here to help get it into the house.
post #4967 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Liked: 16
The remote has three “quick” buttons for Netflix, prime and Hulu. Is there a way to program them to other apps? I’d like to make one a go to TiVo without going have to go into the menu.
post #4968 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
Same here.
In the last 3 weeks I've had in my house 85Z9G vs 77C9 vs 82Q90R.
Ditto on Q90R blooming issues and keeping black black, when tweeting X related to contrast (There are more settings then just contrast that will affect contrast). Adjusting X settings, affects others. Like a can of worms.
Really hard not to focus on these things when an OLED is right next to them.

I'm coming from a 70" Sharp Elite, which had great black. Sold to a friend who's tv died. I'm simply (which is not turning out to be simple) trying to find a larger, better, replacement. OLED 77" is largest (88" $30k not in my pay grade) or LED with OLEDish black.
OLED is only 7" larger. 82"-85" much more immersive. I prefer the OLED, but larger screen immersion carries so much weight.

All tv's have issues, it's what you personally choose to live with or without.
Like I said, blooming is definitely there, but now that I’ve accepted it and stopped concentrating on it, I’m enjoying the set immensely. The Q90 amazes me almost every day. I personally prefer the extra brightness and size over the 77” OLED’s.
Terminader likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #4969 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shtao View Post
With the stand at 5" and height of TV 40", that puts the center of the TV at 52", which is 10" higher than the 42" recommended height for "average" viewers. Mine is around 50ish" too btw as I lean back in my sofa. What are others mounting heights? Seems like anything lower would look too close to the ground.
Funny that my 82Q90R is exactly 42" off the ground to center screen and I feel it's a bit too high. It's on its regular stand and sits on a 22" high console table. I'm thinking of mounting to the console in such a way as to have the bottom of the TV rest on the top of the console, which will lower it by 3.5" (the height of the stand) for better viewing and to potentially look better when it's off too.
post #4970 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
trucking company called to schedule delivery of the 82Q90R and to my surprise they were ready to bring it Thursday or Friday but I'm working both those days and my living room won't be done til at least the weekend and I have very limited space. So I scheduled for Monday.

Heres the crappy part. The Shipping company used by Video and Audio Center is using a curb side drop off and there will only be 1 driver. so I'll have to have a couple of guys here to help get it into the house.
I've been reading these posts about one delivery person. I personally wouldn't do it. We ordered ours from Amazon. XPO couldn't find our address. We weren't happy (missed time window) but the manager said he could deliver it on another truck. He comes, by himself, in his own jacked-up pickup truck. He was just him (mid 50s?) and a hand truck. When we come outside, one end is on the ground and the other on the bed of his truck. How did he do that all by himself. The box and TV is a monster! The box looked like it was in a small battle. I was pissed and immediately refused it. Had a new one the following week...
gimpygod and ray0414 like this.

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #4971 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
I've been reading these posts about one delivery person. I personally wouldn't do it. We ordered ours from Amazon. XPO couldn't find our address. We weren't happy (missed time window) but the manager said he could deliver it on another truck. He comes, by himself, in his own jacked-up pickup truck. He was just him (mid 50s?) and a hand truck. When we come outside, one end is on the ground and the other on the bed of his truck. How did he do that all by himself. The box and TV is a monster! The box looked like it was in a small battle. I was pissed and immediately refused it. Had a new one the following week...

I have Monday off so I'll have at least 2 or 3 guys here to help. my 75Q9FN was a beast also to get in but the 2 drivers brought that 1 in. I'm assuming thr 82 will also be an even bigger beast. doesn't help that the TV weighs more than almost any TV on the market besides the Z9G. still not happy about the center style 40lb stand it uses either.
Nillaz likes this.
post #4972 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The way our house flows from the greatroom in the kitchen area, our set is centered around 55" off the floor. We have NO issues. The screen is high enough to see thru the entire downstairs but not too high in our normal seating area...

shtao likes this.

Robert F Corbin

Last edited by VARTV; 07-09-2019 at 04:49 PM.
post #4973 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have Monday off so I'll have at least 2 or 3 guys here to help. my 75Q9FN was a beast also to get in but the 2 drivers brought that 1 in. I'm assuming thr 82 will also be an even bigger beast. doesn't help that the TV weighs more than almost any TV on the market besides the Z9G. still not happy about the center style 40lb stand it uses either.
I would feel very uncomfortable with the TV/box wobbling around if there wasn't at least two people. Though ours is now hung, it looked good on our old console with the stand...

Robert F Corbin

post #4974 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Went to my local best buy today to look at the Sony 950G & the Samsung Q90R, & the samsung picture was better, much crisper colors & more vibrant, thought it was close to the OLED 77 inch C9 10 feet away. The OLED picture was more film/analog like in my opinion, black levels were closer than I thought they would be, the OLED had much better blacks than the 950G in the best buy showroom.

I will be buying a new TV in late August & I think I will go with the Q90R, if anyone knows a good place in Atlanta to see these sets in a controlled lighting environment let me know.
ray0414 likes this.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry Shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young
post #4975 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Whereas me and one other person were able to comfortably deal with the Q9FN the Q90R is minimum a 3 person project, and even then it can be kind of a struggle. Next year's swap isn't something I'm going to be looking forward to.

I was a little concerned about the base but it turns out that it's actually pretty stable. It was also a pretty convenient place for me to put the OC box until I got the extended OC cable.
gimpygod and ray0414 like this.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #4976 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I only sit in my wheelchair so we tried getting my eyes at midline of the screen but the metal stand puts me about 4 inches below that. Honestly, the picture quality is terrific so I don’t think a few inches up or down is detrimental. Also, Brother in law put a 3/4” board under the tv because were getting some sway because of the weight of this booger!
glock17er likes this.
post #4977 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Solve for X

Can anyone tell me the measurement from the base of the Q90R 82” to the no-gap wall mount’s holes (wall, not back of TV). I’m trying to pre-drill and set up my space before my TV arrives.

I need to clear a media console with center channel on top of it (33”). 33+X= hole height from baseboard.
post #4978 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I remember at one point reading about some people having issues with the network cable notification popping up from time to time but I can't seem to find the specific posts. Does anyone else have this randomly happening and any tips on how to mitigate it? It's happened a handful of times and it's pretty annoying having it pop up when in the middle of an online game.

post #4979 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
Whereas me and one other person were able to comfortably deal with the Q9FN the Q90R is minimum a 3 person project, and even then it can be kind of a struggle. Next year's swap isn't something I'm going to be looking forward to.

I was a little concerned about the base but it turns out that it's actually pretty stable. It was also a pretty convenient place for me to put the OC box until I got the extended OC cable.

at 40 lbs im sure it's pretty stable. I just don't like how it then puts all the weight directly into the center driving down onto the center of the stand. though the design does make it easy to squeeze devices around it if necessary. does the giant OCB fit directly into the behind it somehow?
post #4980 of 6352 Old 07-09-2019, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
at 40 lbs im sure it's pretty stable. I just don't like how it then puts all the weight directly into the center driving down onto the center of the stand. though the design does make it easy to squeeze devices around it if necessary. does the giant OCB fit directly into the behind it somehow?

I know what you mean about concentrating all that weight. I had to call my stand manufacturer to verify it wasn't going to shatter my stand.

The OC box fits on the pedestal and somewhat nestles in below the screen. It's kind of serendipity that it works out that way since this isn't exactly what the stand was meant for but if you don't mind the loss of access to the control buttons on the panel itself it gets the job done.
ray0414 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page