2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 168 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4731Likes

post #5011 of 6722 Old 07-11-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6786 Post(s)
Liked: 6785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
I know what you mean about concentrating all that weight. I had to call my stand manufacturer to verify it wasn't going to shatter my stand.
Right on that, there are pictures online of stands shattering......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
I was able to maneuver the 75” Q9FN onto my stand alone, just barely. No helper available at the time.
Glad that worked out, but thats a big TV to get on a stand, moving around in a box is different then installing it.
Ted99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5012 of 6722 Old 07-11-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 449
A heads up. Some discussion on another thread that there will be a new HDCP 2.3 coming. Probably targeted to protection of streaming of 8K video, so it should not be an issue with the Q90. But, it will be something else to look for in the 2020 one-connect box: Full HDMI 2.1 and HDCP 2.3. If e-ARC comes to the Q90, I wouldn't be at all concerned about this; but if I were planning on an 8K set, I would. It's kinda like the 4K Sony 79" set I bought on first release: the very next year HDR became available--a really useful capability. There is always something new coming and I just have to decide what is "good enough". I've decided that the Q90, when it gets e-ARC, is good enough for 5 years. Too many new things to come in the 8K world to spend 2X as much as for a good 4K display now. When I look at the 8K displays at my local Magnolia, I'm impressed. The 4K material upscaled to 8K on an 82" display looks like 4K material on a 55" set--really clear picture--and I'd like to see that on my next big set. But, I think if I bought one of today's 8K sets I'd be shortchanged in the near future. Just as I missed out on HDR by buying one of Sony's first 4K sets, I think I'd be having trouble accessing some of the new sources of 8K material in the future if I bought one of today's 8K sets. If Samsung does as they say and offers an upgraded one-connect box with those features for the 2019 8K sets, that problem could go away.
mirekti likes this.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #5013 of 6722 Old 07-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
Are you having to go into the TV's picture setting? I keep mine on "Custom" (Fit Screen?). I've noticed that some of our locals subchannels are stretching their pictures. That's when I switch it to 4:3 on the TV...
Thanks for responding, On my tv the menu to change 4:3 is greyed out while apps are open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5014 of 6722 Old 07-11-2019, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am super excited as I recently received my TV! The OCB recognized my Apple TV in the cabinet but the Samsung remote would not control it with out the cabinet door open (infrared). I read today that deleting the Universal Remote for the Apple TV will allow it to work over HDMI-CEC and how beautifully it works now!

I have been playing with some initial recommended picture settings for the MOVIE picture mode from Flatpanelshd, AVForums, Digitaltrends and Rtings. I may eventually have the TV professionally calibrated.

Is there a consensus for a particular "Picture Mode" when watching sports or when watching news, game shows, or sitcoms or do you MOVIE picture mode for all your viewing?'
post #5015 of 6722 Old 07-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Kruse. View Post
I have been playing with some initial recommended picture settings for the MOVIE picture mode from Flatpanelshd, AVForums, Digitaltrends and Rtings. I may eventually have the TV professionally calibrated.

Is there a consensus for a particular "Picture Mode" when watching sports or when watching news, game shows, or sitcoms or do you MOVIE picture mode for all your viewing?'
Would you provide a link for Flatpanelshd, AVForums, digitaltrends picture settings.
I too am interested in trying their settings.
Thank you.

7.2.4, AV7702mkII, MM8077, MC205, UDP-203, 82Q90R, Tivo Bolt, Richard Gray 400s, B&W Nautilus, Fathom F113, Harmony Elite
post #5016 of 6722 Old 07-11-2019, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
hi, has anyone got the universal remote to control the nvidia shield ? and if so how
thanks
post #5017 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Symes View Post
hi, has anyone got the universal remote to control the nvidia shield ? and if so how
thanks

Turn CEC on both TV and shield. Works most times. If not buy the Logitech Harmony which works with most appliances.
post #5018 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Since Nvidia has recently patched in Gsync support on many Freesync enabled displays, can you tell me if the Samsung Q90R is supported through a DP>HDMI adapter?

Thanks
M_C
post #5019 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
? for you all, can someone recommend a good wall mount for the 82 inch version of this TV? I would like to have a full motion wall mount, as it will be inside a entertainment center.
I recently installed this mount in preparation for the 82” Q90. It’s not cheap, although you can find lower than MSRP from many dealers. And it’s not thin, but it does have a full range of motion and alignment tweaks. Being a single arm it has a much wider horizontal range than the dual arm types. This was important for my situation since I need it to swing horizontally from in front of a fireplace when it’s in use. However, the main reason I picked it was that its a beast of a mount for weight capacity. Even at full extension I can sit on it and bounce up and down making me very comfortable that the much lower weight of the 82 will do just fine.
post #5020 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
Would you provide a link for Flatpanelshd, AVForums, digitaltrends picture settings.
I too am interested in trying their settings.
Thank you.
Most leave the settings at their default value. Backlight, Digital Clean View, Local Dimming, and Contrast Enhancer are some of the tweaks they make in addition to the White Balance. I have not made any changes to my White Balance.

Flatpanelshd (White Balance 2-Point) - https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....d=1557215154#3
Rtings - (White Balance 2-Point and 20-Point) https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...-qled/settings

AVFOrums and DigitalTrends just gleamed some settings recommendations for Auto Motion for sports.

AVForums:
https://www.avforums.com/review/sams...v-review.16084

DigitalTrends:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Digital...ung+Q90+4K+LED

Some note worthy information from Rtings:

To make the image brighter in SDR, you should adjust the Backlight depending on your specific viewing conditions. Changing this setting does not have any impact on the overall picture quality. The Brightness setting is a picture adjustment setting, and we do not recommend adjusting it.

HDR is automatically enabled for the native apps. When you start playing HDR content, a small HDR icon appears next to the picture mode on the quick settings menu. Once you start playing HDR content, some of the settings change automatically, including the Backlight, which increases to 'Max.' We recommend leaving these settings to their default settings in HDR.

ST.2084 - HDR Content
BT.1886 - STD Content
BT.1886 2.2 - Best Suited for bright rooms

I have turned off Adaptive Brightness and changed my backlight to 45 for now. I have a fairly bright room.
ionblue and Terminader like this.
post #5021 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New to this TV

So found out my existing TV cannot be repaired so I am getting a replacement sent to me by Samsung (getting the 65Q90R). Right now I have my "4K" Xfinity box and the PS4 Pro connected to my Onkyo TN676 receiver. Should I be connecting those devices straight to the TV's one connect box and use ARC to the receiver, or should I keep it the way it is?

How does it effect sound or video quality?

Thanks,
BocaProwler

PS - On a side note, my old KS9000 limited the size of external drives (for playing video) to 2TB, does the Q90R support a larger drive?

Last edited by Bocaprowler; 07-12-2019 at 01:17 PM.
post #5022 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocaprowler View Post
So found out my existing TV cannot be repaired so I am getting a replacement sent to me by Samsung (getting the 65Q90R). Right now I have my "4K" Xfinity box and the PS4 Pro connected to my Onkyo TN676 receiver. Should I be connecting those devices straight to the TV's one connect box and use ARC to the receiver, or should I keep it the way it is?

How does it effect sound or video quality?

Thanks,
BocaProwler

PS - On a side note, my old KS9000 limited the size of external drives (for playing video) to 2TB, does the Q90R support a larger drive?

The Samsung interface is very nice for switching between HDMI devices and recognizes many of the devices automatically. I would definitely plug the Xfinity and PS4 directly into the OCB. I know with Dish TV satellite box plugged directly into the OCB provided suggestions for TV shows and the Q90R has a game mode to improve lag times along with other settings for games. The audio should pass through to your receiver without any degradation... even Dolby Atmos should pass through.

I haven't heard what the drive limitations are for the Q90R but you could possibly partition the drives to resolve any size limitations.
Terminader likes this.
post #5023 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fragility of the One Connect Cable

Have a week old 65 inch Q90R that suddenly stopped powering on Tuesday. Repair center came out today, swapped out the One Connect cable and we were back in business. The problem is, I didnt touch the One Connect cable from when I set it up a week ago.. it just "broke". The tech said they are really fragile and to be really careful with it. Yikes.
Have others taken extreme precaution with this fiber optic cable? Have folks been able to successfully run it through a wall without damage? It's got me a little paranoid now.

Last edited by cmdonnel; 07-12-2019 at 06:18 PM.
post #5024 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
The Samsung interface is very nice for switching between HDMI devices and recognizes many of the devices automatically. I would definitely plug the Xfinity and PS4 directly into the OCB. I know with Dish TV satellite box plugged directly into the OCB provided suggestions for TV shows and the Q90R has a game mode to improve lag times along with other settings for games. The audio should pass through to your receiver without any degradation... even Dolby Atmos should pass through.

I haven't heard what the drive limitations are for the Q90R but you could possibly partition the drives to resolve any size limitations.

Thanks so much for the reply, looks like I will be connecting the cable box and PS4 Pro directly to the OCB, glad that it will pass the audio through.

The KS9000 has no trouble with my 4TB drive, but if the drive has close to or more than 2TB of data on it, it will no see newly created video files. It will see the files that were on it before, just won't read anything new once it hits 2TB, if that makes sense.
Terminader likes this.
post #5025 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdonnel View Post
Have a week old 65 inch Q90R that suddenly stopped powering on Tuesday. Repair center came out today, swapped out the One Connect cable and we were back in business. The problem is, I didnt touch the One Connect cable from when I set it up a week ago.. it just "broke". The tech said they are really fragile and to be really careful with it. Yikes.
Have others taken extreme precaution with this fiber optic cable? Have folks been able to successfully run it through a wall without damage? It's got me a little paranoid now.

I've had no issue with any of my OC cables. I don't take any special precautions with them either other than to ensure I don't kink them.
Terminader likes this.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #5026 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
The audio should pass through to your receiver without any degradation... even Dolby Atmos should pass through.
I believe Dolby Atmos needs eARC, as does Lossless.

7.2.4, AV7702mkII, MM8077, MC205, UDP-203, 82Q90R, Tivo Bolt, Richard Gray 400s, B&W Nautilus, Fathom F113, Harmony Elite
post #5027 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
I believe Dolby Atmos needs eARC, as does Lossless.

DD+ Atmos can pass via ARC. TrueHD Atmos requires eARC. Aside from the bluray format the difference is mostly academic.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #5028 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My run was from over the fireplace down to a built-in cabinet. I knew that this cable was fiber optic with power in it. Using a pull string, I was extra cautious. The quick setup guide showed a picture of not rolling up the cable less than a 4 inch diameter.

Rtings wasn't very careful as they wadded the remaining cable up - http://lnnk.in/fG6

To keep it from being crimped at all...I didn't run my cable through the channel/groove on the TV or roll it up.
post #5029 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked: 12082
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyhash View Post
I'm a newbie to this thread, forgive if its been asked/answered already. Any news of Samsung adding/supporting Dolby Vision any time soon? I would buy the Q90 today if I thought there was future support coming. Thanks!
Dolby Vision is a little overrated on flagship sets. Hardware beats software everytime. I can assure you that Samsung owners who watch regular HDR10, are plenty satisfied. Dolby Vision doesn't add more zones, increase color gamut or brightness etc. You would have to have Dolby Vision side by side with 1 of these sets to actually see any difference. and in some cases, the HDR10 on a Samsung may actually look better. Cnet compared Dolby VIsion on a Vizio PQ last year to HDR10 on the Samsung Q9FN and they preffered the image on the Q9FN. and Yes the Vizio PQ is a pretty comparable set with 2000+nits and quantum dots and decent black levels..

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #5030 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I am super excited as I recently received my TV! The OCB recognized my Apple TV in the cabinet but the Samsung remote would not control it with out the cabinet door open (infrared). I read today that deleting the Universal Remote for the Apple TV will allow it to work over HDMI-CEC and how beautifully it works now!

Because of review sites, people have this notion that Movie mode is the best. It's just the most accurate. That doesn't make it the best. Accurate normally means warmer whites, less brightness, and a generally less sharp picture. The best mode is the one you enjoy the most. Play around with your settings until you find something you like.
Nillaz and Terminader like this.
post #5031 of 6722 Old 07-12-2019, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaglty View Post
Because of review sites, people have this notion that Movie mode is the best. It's just the most accurate. That doesn't make it the best. Accurate normally means warmer whites, less brightness, and a generally less sharp picture. The best mode is the one you enjoy the most. Play around with your settings until you find something you like.

I agree with this to a point. I can think of several people who have asked my help to get their television properly sorted only to find that they were initially offput by the result. On the flip side though many people come to prefer the more accurate settings after spending some time acclimating to it, but I still know at least 2 people that hands down prefer having bluer whites and wildly inaccurate colors.

I personally prefer having better accuracy, but I also target an overall higher luminance than is typical for SDR. Different strokes for different folks.

post #5032 of 6722 Old 07-13-2019, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
U will loose a lot of sound options. Dolby atmos will not pass through until/if eARC is introduced. Until then definately connect direct to receiver not the OCB
post #5033 of 6722 Old 07-13-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Our AV guys had no issue. They were careful with it. Our old mount had several wires pulled thru the original whole made - coax, 3 hdmi, optical and a pull wire. Back then, it was a bit "tight" with all those wires but a breeze with OCB cable. They just went slow with it going up inside the wall...
Loren Kruse. likes this.

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #5034 of 6722 Old 07-13-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm thinking of up grading my beloved Pioneer Elite 60" Plasma it's one of the last sets made and every body loves the picture. I have a large fairly dark room and set about 17 ' from the set so I'm thinking of a 82" Q90R or a Q900RB. I guess my question is it worth it and which would be better the 4K or 8K. I'm up in the years so this could possibly be my last set.
Terminader likes this.

Emovita XMC-1, 2 XPA-1's, XPA-5, Salk Ht3 L/R Salk Center, 2 V1500 Subs, Pioneer Elite 60", KDlinks A400 Media Player, Pioneer Elite DVD, Emovita CD
post #5035 of 6722 Old 07-13-2019, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have read here that the OCB cable is not in-wall rated. Did anyone use a work around for getting the cable in the wall? My thinking is there must be some product that provides a plastic channel in the wall from point A to point B. Or did folks just thread the cable into the wall as if it were in-wall rated? What concerns might there be for the latter use?
post #5036 of 6722 Old 07-13-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBinHD View Post
I have read here that the OCB cable is not in-wall rated. Did anyone use a work around for getting the cable in the wall? My thinking is there must be some product that provides a plastic channel in the wall from point A to point B. Or did folks just thread the cable into the wall as if it were in-wall rated? What concerns might there be for the latter use?

The concern of course is fire. Some of us do it anyway. I have mine running through a conduit that was installed many years ago but I'm sure many people just fish it through the wall cavity itself.
WannaBinHD likes this.

post #5037 of 6722 Old 07-13-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Dolby Vision is a little overrated on flagship sets. Hardware beats software everytime. I can assure you that Samsung owners who watch regular HDR10, are plenty satisfied. Dolby Vision doesn't add more zones, increase color gamut or brightness etc. You would have to have Dolby Vision side by side with 1 of these sets to actually see any difference. and in some cases, the HDR10 on a Samsung may actually look better. Cnet compared Dolby VIsion on a Vizio PQ last year to HDR10 on the Samsung Q9FN and they preffered the image on the Q9FN. and Yes the Vizio PQ is a pretty comparable set with 2000+nits and quantum dots and decent black levels..
I agree.

It’s definitely more important on the lower brightness sets. I prefer the HDR10 presentation on my Q90 compared to the Dolby Vision presentation on any of my former sets...A1E, 900F, Z9F and C8. You’re right though, it likely has more to do with the hardware on each of those sets than DV vs HDR10.
Loren Kruse. and bjorktribe like this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #5038 of 6722 Old 07-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaglty View Post
Many thanks for the comments - I have gone with Standard for my bright living room for sports and regular TV shows.
Terminader likes this.
post #5039 of 6722 Old 07-13-2019, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked: 12082
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermont99 View Post
I'm thinking of up grading my beloved Pioneer Elite 60" Plasma it's one of the last sets made and every body loves the picture. I have a large fairly dark room and set about 17 ' from the set so I'm thinking of a 82" Q90R or a Q900RB. I guess my question is it worth it and which would be better the 4K or 8K. I'm up in the years so this could possibly be my last set.

Q90 has the better overall picture. I wouldn't even think twice.
Terminader likes this.
post #5040 of 6722 Old 07-13-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermont99 View Post
As far back as you sit you really should consider a projector. If an FP won't work in your room the 82Q90 would be an excellent choice. The only issue I've encountered is HDR blooming into scope bars. If a bright object is right next to the bars they'll bleed into same. But, other than that, the Q90 is very hard to beat in screen sizes over 77".

The good news is I've noticed no bleeding with non-HDR images.
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page