2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4512Likes

post #481 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Looking for anyone's experience on this tv. Are we still counting just two real life owners on this tread so far?

Ordered mine last night, delivery is next friday. Took the gamble and ordered without reviews, didnt want the EPP discount to end.

Last edited by Bostonvr6; 03-12-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trdreher View Post
Anyone else getting an error when trying to checkout with the 82" on Samsung's website? "Something went wrong please try again later" I can add other models and progress through checkout just fine.
It has been this way since this morning. I'm unable to purchase my 75 inch!
post #483 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy12 View Post
So I just purchased a new Samsung Q90R and am checking out the ambient mode. I know that if you purchase "the Frame" model TV, you have access to a Samsung art store. Can you get the same access for the Q models with ambient mode, or are the stock backgrounds pre-installed on the TV our only options?
I was told last year that the licensing for the artwork on The Frame models is limited to just those sets, and is not currently available for other Samsung TVs.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
It has been this way since this morning. I'm unable to purchase my 75 inch!
It was like that for me at 10 last night too. I was hoping it would be fixed by now.
post #485 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
It was like that for me at 10 last night too. I was hoping it would be fixed by now.
I've tried purchasing the 75 inch and 82 inch with and without EPP. Both aren't working.
post #486 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
Is this actually better than the Samsung No Gap wall mount?
I don't know about better, but the got of a mount is to hold a TV on the wall, I am sure when properly installed it will do just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
That looks like a completely "no drama" mount and a great price. It says for "up to 70", but also 143#. Is your experience that it's the weight that should be the determinant on whether it's usable, rather than size, providing that it's VESA compatible?
Absolutely, that it's the weight that should be the determinant on whether it's usable, rather than size...end of story
post #487 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Mine coming the 20th. Bought from Samsung direct. 65 inch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EdFlo likes this.
post #488 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I don't know about better, but the got of a mount is to hold a TV on the wall, I am sure when properly installed it will do just that.

Absolutely, that it's the weight that should be the determinant on whether it's usable, rather than size...end of story
The samsung nogap mount will be closer to the wall. If you look closely, it mounts with different attachment mechanism that will actually inset itself into the back of the TV so the back of the tv touches the back of the wall and not the VESA mounts.A generic mounting on the VESA will always need to offet with the standoffs and so will be little bit out.

Even with the samsung, there is going to be a gap viewed from the side, because the back of the TV is curved even if it touches the wall. If this annoys you, you either have to do some framing/blocking so the back of the tv is square rather than curved, or literally change your wall so it is inset.
I think practically, you will not notice after a little bit, as long as you go somewhat low profile. You may enjoy having the gap to allow you to do a little tilting to finetune your setup.

Pictures below showing samsung nogap versus a standard slim tilting mount

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190312_134337.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	2537968

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190312_135843.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	2537970
shtao likes this.

Last edited by raytseng; 03-12-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #489 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 02:44 PM

above post was for a 2018 q7 anf an echogear slim tilting mount
post #490 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The samsung nogap mount will be closer to the wall. If you look closely, it mounts with different attachment mechanism that will actually inset itself into the back of the TV so the back of the tv touches the back of the wall and not the VESA mounts.A generic mounting on the VESA will always need to offet with the standoffs and so will be little bit out.

Even with the samsung, there is going to be a gap viewed from the side, because the back of the TV is curved even if it touches the wall. If this annoys you, you either have to do some framing/blocking so the back of the tv is square rather than curved, or literally change your wall so it is inset.
I think practically, you will not notice after a little bit, as long as you go somewhat low profile. You may enjoy having the gap to allow you to do a little tilting to finetune your setup.

Attachment 2537968

Attachment 2537970
Is the no gap tilt on purpose, or does the TV naturally tilt with that mount?

It’s a bummer that we can’t use “The Frame” Bezels with this and other Q series TVs to give it a flat picture frame look when wall mounting.
post #491 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Attachment 2537968

Attachment 2537970

That “No Gap” has a decent gap. I don’t get it.
WOLVERNOLE and shtao like this.
post #492 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Regarding eARC, the Q90R review on HD Guru stated: Many of the "features" of the new HDMI 2.1 interface are expected eventually to be supported by the television, but nothing definitive can be announced about this now, as the HDMI LA hasn’t yet signed off on the necessary testing and certification protocols for these capabilities on the set. However, it’s our understanding that this television will eventually be updated to support such key features as eARC, ALLM, Freesync 2 and Variable Refresh Rate, but it’s strictly “buyer beware” until the proper certifications are issued and announced.

Some have speculated on this thread that the lack of an announcement on HDMI 2.1 features support is a sign of bad news, the theory being that if Samsung planned to support it, they would be eager to announce it. I'm not sure it really works that way. As noted above, a manufacturer needs to go through certification steps with the HDMI Licensing Administrator (LA) before they can announce support. There are likely strict rules dictated by the HDMI LA regarding what can be announced and when. So the lack of any official announcement may very well be just a matter of these steps not yet being complete, and not an indication either way that support is coming or not coming. But I think the fact that Samsung is pursuing certification with the HDMI LA is good news, indicating their intent to support these features.

Still unknown though whether or not they will be successful in obtaining certification, so I agree "buyer beware"! For my part, I am going to wait a little longer, thinking there is a very good chance that they will end up supporting eARC, but I'm not buying until they announce it.

I also wonder why they are so late in going through the certification process? It could be because issues are being discovered during certification. It could also be because they just recently got the TV through product development and into the certification process.
plamen80 likes this.
post #493 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 03:52 PM

The current setup in that picturewas considered good enough and slight tilt assists with glare, so I didn't look into it more.
If you grab a buddy to help push it all the way back, it could be more 90degrees, however it is just a friction based swivel and hinge, so if that setup might get bumped or pulled, you may need to engineer some blocking if you really want to lock it in a final position.
post #494 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Regarding eARC, the Q90R review on HD Guru stated: Many of the "features" of the new HDMI 2.1 interface are expected eventually to be supported by the television, but nothing definitive can be announced about this now, as the HDMI LA hasn’t yet signed off on the necessary testing and certification protocols for these capabilities on the set. However, it’s our understanding that this television will eventually be updated to support such key features as eARC, ALLM, Freesync 2 and Variable Refresh Rate, but it’s strictly “buyer beware” until the proper certifications are issued and announced.

Some have speculated on this thread that the lack of an announcement on HDMI 2.1 features support is a sign of bad news, the theory being that if Samsung planned to support it, they would be eager to announce it. I'm not sure it really works that way. As noted above, a manufacturer needs to go through certification steps with the HDMI Licensing Administrator (LA) before they can announce support. There are likely strict rules dictated by the HDMI LA regarding what can be announced and when. So the lack of any official announcement may very well be just a matter of these steps not yet being complete, and not an indication either way that support is coming or not coming. But I think the fact that Samsung is pursuing certification with the HDMI LA is good news, indicating their intent to support these features.

Still unknown though whether or not they will be successful in obtaining certification, so I agree "buyer beware"! For my part, I am going to wait a little longer, thinking there is a very good chance that they will end up supporting eARC, but I'm not buying until they announce it.

I also wonder why they are so late in going through the certification process? It could be because issues are being discovered during certification. It could also be because they just recently got the TV through product development and into the certification process.
Someone posted a YouTube video in the Q900 forum from a tech entusiant with some Samsung connections about a big update coming to 2018/2019 models in the next month. However, he said he wasn’t allowed to disclose any details about the update. I thought it could be eARC support, but not sure if that would come to any 2018 models unless they were outfitted with higher speed HDMI ports.

Another thought is that’s Samsung might cave and pay for Dolby Vision licensing. If that is something that can be achieved via firmware update, it could be a viable option. Especially since Samsung decided to stop producing blu-ray players, which means there will be even fewer devices capable of playing HDR10+.
post #495 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
The current setup in that picturewas considered good enough and slight tilt assists with glare, so I didn't look into it more.
If you grab a buddy to help push it all the way back, it could be more 90degrees, however it is just a friction based swivel and hinge, so if that setup might get bumped or pulled, you may need to engineer some blocking if you really want to lock it in a final position.

Basically, as is it won’t be a true no gap for a 75 inch due to the weight.
post #496 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ive been following these threads for awhile now and finally decided to sign up. I talked to my local TV shop today and my sales guy I deal with said the Samsung distributor told him April 5 they will start shipping the 75in model I'm first on the list to get one. I cant wait, I'm coming from a ks9800 which is in my bedroom now and currently I have a 65 q9 which is an awesome TV but I decided I wanted something bigger so i ordered the 75 q9 to replace it and a couple days later the b @ h photo preorder came out and I called to see if I could get the q90r 75in and the sales guy said yes and let me keep the q9 till it comes in which was awesome on their part. I don't believe I will be buying from best buy anymore and plus their warranty was a quarter of bb price, so Im stoked and ready for it to come in.
post #497 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:

Attachment 2537968

Attachment 2537970

Do it doesn't wind up looking like this...

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #498 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
Well I'm sad to report my Q90 is getting returned to Amazon. UPS will be delivering my replacement on Wednesday and picking up the return at the same time.

I really hate being in the panel lottery again.

ARC isn't working on this TV. I know I said above that the test sounds play fine, but they don't. They play for a second or two and cut out. If I hook back up my UN65F000 everything works perfectly through ARC so I know it isn't my receiver configuration.

I spent over 2 hours with first level Samsung Tech Support last Thursday. He did a remote connection and didn't accomplish much. He claimed it was my receiver and told me to contact Onkyo. That ticked me off. I told him everything worked fine with my old setup and no it wasn't my receiver.

He finally agreed to send out Service Techs. I got a call last Friday from a Samsung Q90 project engineer and he had me check a few things. I told him I figured the One Connect Box was bad. He said it was probably that or the One Connect Cable and he was leaning towards it being the cable. He told me he would get them out to the techs right away.

At 1:30 PM today two service techs showed up with no replacement parts of any kind. They said everything is on back order and it could be weeks before the parts came in. They verified the problem and were talking about taking the back off and replacing the main board along with the OCB and cable when the parts came in.

No way do I want to wait 2 weeks or longer for replacement parts and no way am I going to let them tear into my brand new TV to do repairs. So as much as I hate to do it, back it goes.

When I called Amazon's customer service the rep moved me up to the next level of customer service. This rep arranged have have the old TV picked up at the same time the new one will be delivered. She also took $100 off the price and is having it credited to my credit card.

My Q900 worked for 4 days and failed today. It won’t turn on. It gets stuck in a loop attempting to start.

I contacted Samsung and they were awful. I too wasn’t gonna wait 2 weeks and gave them open my $10,000 new tv.

Best Buy will have a new one here within 48 hours
post #499 of 6324 Old 03-12-2019, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushisean1 View Post
My Q900 worked for 4 days and failed today. It won’t turn on. It gets stuck in a loop attempting to start.

I contacted Samsung and they were awful. I too wasn’t gonna wait 2 weeks and gave them open my $10,000 new tv.

Best Buy will have a new one here within 48 hours
You have Q90 or Q900?

This is the Q90 thread.
post #500 of 6324 Old 03-13-2019, 06:07 AM

surprisingly there seems to be tons of Q900 owners in their owners thread, not too many Q90R owners yet.
post #501 of 6324 Old 03-13-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonvr6 View Post
surprisingly there seems to be tons of Q900 owners in their owners thread, not too many Q90R owners yet.
The Q90R just started shipping whereas the Q900 has been out for months.

This happens every time a new TV ships and an owner's thread springs up.... here, I will help you with a primer.

1. I got the TV!
2. How does it look?
3. Wall mount not sitting straight.
4. No I mean what is the PQ like, this is a very high end TV?
5. Pretty good I guess.
6. Can you take some pictures?
7. I'm busy.
8. I just got the TV too and I want to talk about those wall mounts.

We'll all have to wait until more owners get their hands on these and more people interested in the picture quality who know how to take photos of test patterns and material can post them to AVS.

For me, the most interesting single thing over the last 72 hours is HD Guru claiming that the set could eventually get most features of HDMI 2.1 by way of a firmware update. I will need confirmation of that before I can pull the trigger on this expensive set.
WOLVERNOLE and dreaux like this.
post #502 of 6324 Old 03-13-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

1. I got the TV!
2. How does it look?
5. Pretty good I guess.
7. I'm busy.
LOL!! okay....you're right.

Yes agree HDMI 2.1 would be great. I wish Dolby Vision too but won't hold my breath :-/
post #503 of 6324 Old 03-13-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
That's not exactly true. The 2018 model Q900 has been out for months, of course, but the 2019 model Q900 is in short supply. I ordered a Q900RB in January, but was just put off until May for delivery from Best Buy.

Greg Lee
post #504 of 6324 Old 03-13-2019, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Still can't order the 82 or 75....
post #505 of 6324 Old 03-13-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Still can't order the 82 or 75....
Yeah, I eventually did an online chat with them. After almost an hour, their suggestion was to clear my browser history and cookies. Which of course is not the problem, given that I (and others) have tried ordering on multiple PCs. I asked what I should do if that doesn't work (knowing it wouldn't), and they said to try later. I'll never get that hour back.
post #506 of 6324 Old 03-13-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonvr6 View Post
LOL!! okay....you're right.

Yes agree HDMI 2.1 would be great. I wish Dolby Vision too but won't hold my breath :-/
Dolby Vision is extremely unlikely in my humble opinion, but if it get the non bandwidth HDMI 2.1 features that would be enough to tip me over assuming the PQ is as close to OLED and brighter (and less reflective) as is being described by early reports and initial hands on from reviewers.
post #507 of 6324 Old 03-13-2019, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

This happens every time a new TV ships and an owner's thread springs up.... here, I will help you with a primer.

1. I got the TV!

2. How does it look?

5. Pretty good I guess.

7. I'm busy.

We'll all have to wait until more owners get their hands on these and more people interested in the picture quality who know how to take photos of test patterns and material can post them to AVS.

For me, the most interesting single thing over the last 72 hours is HD Guru claiming that the set could eventually get most features of HDMI 2.1 by way of a firmware update. I will need confirmation of that before I can pull the trigger on this expensive set.
You forgot:

9. Does it have earc? When will it?
10. Does it have hdmi 2.whatever? When will we get it?
Lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #508 of 6324 Old 03-13-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodysj View Post
You forgot:

9. Does it have earc? When will it?
10. Does it have hdmi 2.whatever? When will we get it?
Lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
11. Where is Dolby Vision support?

Fair enough and I'm guilty of some of that too.

If the Samsung is not going to support HDMI 2.1 features and doesn't support Dolby Vision then honestly I am better off taking the same money and getting a closeout 77 LG OLED C9 since it supports Dolby Vision, supports Dolby Atmos over ARC, is larger, and has an incredible picture.

If Samsung has close to OLED PQ, and supported the HDMI 2.1 features I care about I could possibly forgive it for not having Dolby Vision. To me anyway it seems that Dolby Vision is pulling out in front and by next year that will be the defecto HDR replacement available on iTunes, Netflix, 4K Blu-ray and HDR10+ will lucky to get even 1/10 of the support.
post #509 of 6324 Old 03-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Yeah, I eventually did an online chat with them. After almost an hour, their suggestion was to clear my browser history and cookies. Which of course is not the problem, given that I (and others) have tried ordering on multiple PCs. I asked what I should do if that doesn't work (knowing it wouldn't), and they said to try later. I'll never get that hour back.
Same, I tried all day yesterday and this morning. No luck. Very frustrating.
post #510 of 6324 Old 03-13-2019, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I bought another 65Q90 today after UPS destroyed my Amazon-bought unit. During my search for another place to buy from, I discovered that while the wife’s company didn’t qualify for Samsung’s EPP program, they did qualify for the Samsung Save at Work program—which I previously didn’t know about. Boy am I glad I researched that. That made the decision on where to buy a no brainer. If HDMI 2.1 or DV become that important to me, it’ll be less painful to switch in a year or two. It’s supposed to deliver 3/25.

I suspect we’ll need a mid range sound bar for every day listening unless this unit has better sound than the Q9FN, which we briefly owned. We already have an AVR with Klipsch 5.1 speakers for when we want SOUND. Anybody happy with their mid-priced sound bar—especially a Samsung unit? Not looking for movie quality sound here, just clear voices from something that doesn’t heat the room.

While I don’t normally buy extended warranties, I’d like to look into them. Is there a reputable place to get an extended warranty for this thing? Thanks.

Last edited by Boatguy; 03-13-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page