2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 171 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4506Likes

post #5101 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionblue View Post
Good news: got it mounted and setup without cursing to high heaven. Bad news: have to rethink my AV stand. Which means buying something else. Which the wife is fine with so it isnt the worst news.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I bought a BDI stand back in 2008. It was fairly expensive but very well made and has great ventilation since it is a dedicated AV stand. At the time they offered the largest center opening available to accommodate my huge center speaker.

https://www.bdiusa.com/entertaining/...inment-centers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 606
2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super kermit View Post
Quick Q

When mounting the soundbar on a flat surface like an entertainment unit, do people keep it flat (the speakers are then aimed at my knees) or have people angled the bar slightly upwards to have the speakers aimed at ear level?

I could use something like this or a variation to do so.
It’s always better to aim the speakers at your ears if possible, unless you have an Atmos soundbar with the upward firing speakers. The Atmos bars should always be placed flat.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #5103 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
very important to us gamers (xbox specifically). Many games are true hd atmos or 7.1 pcm encoded.

We have 2 options right now

1. Run xbox to avr (i have 7.1.4 atmos) and get proper sound, but lose out on allm (not dealbreaker) and (not huge right now but would be nice to use) and lose option to run [email protected]
2. Run to tv 1st and get the tv 1st and gain those advantages, but limited to compressed 5.1 dd and upmix into avr
Xbox doesn't support eARC so it won't matter. We'll have to wait till Scarlett. I grabbed an HDMI switch so I could experiment with what I like best without switching cables all the time. I've all but settled on leaving it direct to the AVR for the enhanced sound quality (especially for Blu-Ray).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5104 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermont99 View Post
Thanks for the reply's I would love a Projector but my ceiling is too low to mount one with out hitting head. o I'm pretty much stuck with a flat screen and want to get the biggest I can. I was looking at the LG Oled 77" when it first came out then out it on hold until I seen the Samsung 82". I will most likely get the Q90 over the Q900 because as stated form 17' I will not see any difference. Now to figure out where to buy I Live in SW VA maybe Value Electronics I under stand you can have them inspect and calibrate the set prior to shipping I have to check that out.

Thanks
Are there any short throw projectors that may work for you? Something like this?
post #5105 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1969phen View Post
Hi all. Bit of help please. When i connect my xbox1x directly to the OCB the only sound option on the xbox is "stereo uncompressed" wont give me any option for anything else, no bitstream options. When im connected directly to receiver "Onkyo 676e" its fine. I know atmos wont be passed through until eARC but surely i should be able to get some bitstream options. Is this correct or am i missing something. If it is correct then the freesync part of the tv is useless. Any help please.
I had that issue as well. I think a full power off of the xbox did it for me (held the power button until it shut off). Also be sure that dolby atmos input is checked off under the TV sound settings. At that point you should be able to switch it if it doesn't do it automatically. I still can't select DD+ on the TV with the X1X, only DD. ARC...
post #5106 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I Just order a Q90 from Amazon yesterday
Loren Kruse. and Terminader like this.

Emovita XMC-1, 2 XPA-1's, XPA-5, Salk Ht3 L/R Salk Center, 2 V1500 Subs, Pioneer Elite 60", KDlinks A400 Media Player, Pioneer Elite DVD, Emovita CD
post #5107 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Exclamation Can the Q90R AppleTV app play Atmos?

I can't find documentation on the new Apple TV app ... Can anyone confirm if they can get Atmos output from Samsung's built-in Apple TV app (not external ATV4K)?

I can get it working on Vudu, so I don't think the issue is with my AV receiver.

I've tried switching the sound settings on the TV menu between PCM and Dolby Digital, but nothing helps. Dolby Digital+ is greyed out.

Samsung 82Q90R / UN65HU9000 / Pioneer Elite Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 / Denon AVRS730H / AppleTV 4K / PS4 / Xbox One S

Last edited by DigitalMovs; 07-18-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #5108 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I was at Best Buy with my wife yesterday looking at these new Samsungs for my media room. They did not have the Q90R on display but they did have the Q80 and Q70 models. Damn, they still looked really good. I was mostly just kidding when i asked my wife, hey... come look at this 75" and then look at this 82" and tell me which one gives you the most butterflies and which one you like better. I She took me seriously even after I pointed at a smallish 43" and told her that was the existing 65" I had to deal with... So after several minutes of going back and forth on the 75" and 82" models she unquestionably decided that I needed to get the 82". My big question now is, do I pass on the Q90R in favor of a lower Q80 or even Q70 in favor of the 82" size? I should shoot myself for asking this question because I don't ask which is better questions because I always do my own research and make up my own mind but damn... the size made my heart melt. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between these models as they all looked amazing. For pure gaming will I really miss the Q90R? I can't afford such a large top of the line model but could maybe squeeze a few more bucks out to get a larger size in a drop down model.
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by wookiegr; 07-16-2019 at 07:29 AM.
post #5109 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Quick Q

When mounting the soundbar on a flat surface like an entertainment unit, do people keep it flat (the speakers are then aimed at my knees) or have people angled the bar slightly upwards to have the speakers aimed at ear level?

Agree with @BRAC . Another point. Best to have the front edge of the speaker at the edge (or a little past) the front edge of the stand. There are reflections from the top of the stand if the speaker is back from the edge that can cause some diffraction. It's minor, but a simple move forward can eliminate. Of course, the "Decorator in Chief" may object.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #5110 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
I was at Best Buy with my wife yesterday looking at these new Samsungs for my media room. They did not have the Q90R on display but they did have the Q80 and Q70 models. Damn, they still looked really good. I was mostly just kidding when i asked my wife, hey... come look at this 75" and then look at this 82" and tell me which one gives you the most butterflies and which one you like better. I She took me seriously even after I pointed at a smallish 43" and told her that was the existing 65" I had to deal with... So after several minutes of going back and forth on the 75" and 82" models she unquestionably decided that I needed to get the 82". My big question now is, do I pass on the Q90R in favor of a lower Q80 or even Q70 in favor of the 82" size? I should shoot myself for asking this question because I don't ask which is better questions because I always do my own research and make up my own mind but damn... the size made my heart melt. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between these models as they all looked amazing. For pure gaming will I really miss the Q90R? I can't afford such a large top of the line model but could maybe squeeze a few more bucks out to get a larger size in a drop down model.
Go big and go Q90R while you still have permission!

If you plan to keep the TV for awhile, it is likely worth getting the top of the line model.
Loren Kruse. and Mikejl like this.
post #5111 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post

If you plan to keep the TV for awhile, it is likely worth getting the top of the line model.
Go big... I can do that. go with the 82" Q90R... I doubt it's possible. That's why I'm gauging opinions on the Q80 and Q70.
Terminader likes this.
post #5112 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 441
@ray0414 Is the 82" one connect box the same approx 2 1/2" height as the 75"? That's the dimention I need to prep my "stand" for the box behind the set on the top of the console.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #5113 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post

Go big... I can do that. go with the 82" Q90R... I doubt it's possible. That's why I'm gauging opinions on the Q80 and Q70.
I had the same situation and went with the 75 Q90. I value the improved picture quality over the size increase of a Q80 or Q70. Even my wife could see the improved contrast of the Q90's increased zone count when viewing them all side by side
post #5114 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 08:31 AM

My decoder ring translated that. All instances of ( s ) are actually the letter "s". That's bizarre.
ionblue and bjorktribe like this.
post #5115 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6661 Post(s)
Liked: 6644
Quote:
Ask yourself this simple question, I know you know the answer due to similar past choices, are you a Quantity kinda guy or a Quality kinda guy? I am quantity, go big !
post #5116 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 12671 Post(s)
Liked: 11901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
@ray0414 Is the 82" one connect box the same approx 2 1/2" height as the 75"? That's the dimention I need to prep my "stand" for the box behind the set on the top of the console.
Nope it's a little bigger. it's 3.25" high and 7"deep,15.5"wide.
Ted99 likes this.
post #5117 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Ask yourself this simple question, I know you know the answer due to similar past choices, are you a Quantity kinda guy or a Quality kinda guy? I am quantity, go big !
I'm strongly leaning towards the 82" Q80. I'm not buying anything till my theater and media room builds are done and it will take a few more months. I hope something else comes along to change my mind because I really want a TV with full EARC support and variable refresh rates with ALLM. Till that happens, I may not buy anything at all.
post #5118 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Well crap. My first issue I can’t solve. I have everything connected to my AVR (Onkyo RZ620) and one cable to the OCB in HDMI 1. For some reason when I enable Input Signal Plus I lose all sound from my cable box. I checked my Apple TV 4K and it’s working fine. Haven’t tested my XB1 yet.

Also, how do I disable auto device detection? I’ve already turned off the CEC setting cause that was driving me nuts. Although I didn’t try enabling that option on my AVR to see if that made a difference. When everything is coming on the TV starts to do whatever it does for Input Signal Plus and that’s when audio drops off. As soon as I disable it, audio comes right back.

This is driving me crazy. Any help is appreciated.

Oh and I upgraded all my HDMI cables to HDMI 2.0a high speed etc.

Update: I thought Input Signal Plus had to be enabled for HDR, but it seems to work regardless. At least on the Apple TV 4K and Netflix. So do I even need to have that enabled at all?

Last edited by ionblue; 07-16-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #5119 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just ordered my 75inch Q90 with Samsung EPP. I'm pumped!

I saw some different comments on here about how it should be delivered i.e. two people should be carrying it in, not one guy in a truck etc. I ordered directly from Samsung and want to have the right expectations about delivery.

1. Should I insist that two people are bringing it in, not one?
2. I will be mounting this on the wall. Do they help me put it up there or is that up to me?
3. Should i plug it in and look at it before I let them leave?

Thanks much!
WannaBinHD likes this.
post #5120 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
If mounting the sound bar to the wall should you not mount it right below the TV since it might block the upward speakers? Didn’t realize that might be a problem till I saw this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
Quote:
Quick Q

Agree with @BRAC . Another point. Best to have the front edge of the speaker at the edge (or a little past) the front edge of the stand. There are reflections from the top of the stand if the speaker is back from the edge that can cause some diffraction. It's minor, but a simple move forward can eliminate. Of course, the "Decorator in Chief" may object.
post #5121 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskgordon View Post

I saw some different comments on here about how it should be delivered i.e. two people should be carrying it in, not one guy in a truck etc. I ordered directly from Samsung and want to have the right expectations about delivery.

2. I will be mounting this on the wall. Do they help me put it up there or is that up to me?

Thanks much!

I have ordered 3 75 Q90's from Samsung and the first 2 were delivered damaged. Definitely demand at least 2 delivery people as the box is huge and weighs 160lbs. Both of mine were damaged on the bottom of the TV so make sure it is completely out of the box to check for damage. Both TV's were bent from corner impact so check the tv from the side for straightness. Definitely power the tv up. Samsung used AGS for my shipping and I blame AGS for sending one person both time to deliver my TV. It's too much for one person to handle.
post #5122 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskgordon View Post

Thanks much!
One guy can bring the boxed set in if that’s their normal job. They would probably use a hand truck. Pretty normal for freight personnel. Once it’s out of the box you need two and preferably 3 people to lift and hang it.
Terminader likes this.
post #5123 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0305 View Post
I have ordered 3 75 Q90's from Samsung and the first 2 were delivered damaged. Definitely demand at least 2 delivery people as the box is huge and weighs 160lbs. Both of mine were damaged on the bottom of the TV so make sure it is completely out of the box to check for damage. Both TV's were bent from corner impact so check the tv from the side for straightness. Definitely power the tv up. Samsung used AGS for my shipping and I blame AGS for sending one person both time to deliver my TV. It's too much for one person to handle.
I appreciate the reply but your post is screwed. All kinds of alpha numeric garbling.
post #5124 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Well crap. My first issue I can’t solve. I have everything connected to my AVR (Onkyo RZ620) and one cable to the OCB in HDMI 1. For some reason when I enable Input Signal Plus I lose all sound from my cable box. I checked my Apple TV 4K and it’s working fine. Haven’t tested my XB1 yet.

Also, how do I disable auto device detection? I’ve already turned off the CEC setting cause that was driving me nuts. Although I didn’t try enabling that option on my AVR to see if that made a difference. When everything is coming on the TV starts to do whatever it does for Input Signal Plus and that’s when audio drops off. As soon as I disable it, audio comes right back.

This is driving me crazy. Any help is appreciated.

Oh and I upgraded all my HDMI cables to HDMI 2.0a high speed etc.

Update: I thought Input Signal Plus had to be enabled for HDR, but it seems to work regardless. At least on the Apple TV 4K and Netflix. So do I even need to have that enabled at all?

Keep Input Signal Plus enabled for the HDMI input the AVR is connected to. I would suggest that you run a separate HDMI connection from your cable STB to one of the inputs on the OCB; your cable company is probably not sending any true 4K signals out, so the input you connect the STB to does not need to have Input Signal Plus enabled. The TV will pass the 5.1 Dolby Digital audio from the cable STB (check the audio out configuration instructions for the STB) through the TV, so you should get uninterrupted audio that way.

The following instructions should work for disabling the Auto Detect feature:

HDMI AUTO DETECT TOGGLE

The HDMI Auto Detect feature can be turned off using the remote control by pressing a certain key sequence (either IR or Bluetooth remote works).

1. Make sure TV is updated to latest firmware version
2. Switch TV to TV source – HDMI may not work with BT Smart remotes. TV source works with either remote
3. Using IR Remote: Mute + 7 + 2 + 9 + Exit
4. Using Smart Control: Mute + Vol Down + Ch Down + Mute

PLEASE NOTE: TV does not display any messages after you press the above key combination. This function is a toggle. So if you want to turn HDMI Auto Detect on again, press the same key sequence.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #5125 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Keep Input Signal Plus enabled for the HDMI input the AVR is connected to. I would suggest that you run a separate HDMI connection from your cable STB to one of the inputs on the OCB; your cable company is probably not sending any true 4K signals out, so the input you connect the STB to does not need to have Input Signal Plus enabled. The TV will pass the 5.1 Dolby Digital audio from the cable STB (check the audio out configuration instructions for the STB) through the TV, so you should get uninterrupted audio that way.

The following instructions should work for disabling the Auto Detect feature:

HDMI AUTO DETECT TOGGLE

The HDMI Auto Detect feature can be turned off using the remote control by pressing a certain key sequence (either IR or Bluetooth remote works).

1. Make sure TV is updated to latest firmware version

2. Switch TV to TV source – HDMI may not work with BT Smart remotes. TV source works with either remote

3. Using IR Remote: Mute + 7 + 2 + 9 + Exit

4. Using Smart Control: Mute + Vol Down + Ch Down + Mute

PLEASE NOTE: TV does not display any messages after you press the above key combination. This function is a toggle. So if you want to turn HDMI Auto Detect on again, press the same key sequence.

Thanks. So I run another cable from the STB to the OCB, plus the main AVR connection. Once done, which connection is sending it the audio back via ARC? That’s probably a stupid question, but I’ve never used it so it’s new to me.

For the other part, will my Harmony One remote work or do I need an older Samsung remote?

post #5126 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Thanks. So I run another cable from the STB to the OCB, plus the main AVR connection. Once done, which connection is sending it the audio back via ARC? That’s probably a stupid question, but I’ve never used it so it’s new to me.

For the other part, will my Harmony One remote work or do I need an older Samsung remote?

One HDMI connection to the TV is required for the STB, and another is required from the AVR to the TV. The ARC connection will send the audio for the cable STB back to the AVR. You should first try the current Samsung remote, but any older (circa 2015) Samsung IR remote should work as well.
Terminader likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #5127 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
One HDMI connection to the TV is required for the STB, and another is required from the AVR to the TV. The ARC connection will send the audio for the cable STB back to the AVR. You should first try the current Samsung remote, but any older (circa 2015) Samsung IR remote should work as well.
I only have one connection to the TV from the AVR. My mistake...plugging the HDMI into slot 1(assuming that was the main one) when ARC is only enabled for HDMI slot 3. If you look at the connector on the one connect it is marked.
post #5128 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesd View Post
I only have one connection to the TV from the AVR. My mistake...plugging the HDMI into slot 1(assuming that was the main one) when ARC is only enabled for HDMI slot 3. If you look at the connector on the one connect it is marked.
Yep. Found that out after pulling out some hair.

Quote:
Thanks. I finally figured the whole thing out. I had to enable HDMI CEC on the AVR to enable ACR, then enable HDMI CEC on the TV, and of course plug the connection from my AVR into slot 3 since its the only one that does ARC. Phew.... It's working now.

And I enabled Input Signal Plus, but I have to do that again cause I changed ports!

As to my last question about the remote and disabling auto detect... maybe I should leave that alone now? Or will it still go searching when I change sources on the AVR? It does show the AVR now in the source list and I didn't have to force it.
post #5129 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 02:56 PM

Looking pretty good I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5130 of 6300 Old 07-16-2019, 04:02 PM

While most things are looking good I’ve noticed something odd. Using Hulu on Apple TV I’m seeing the background pulsing or something. I didn’t notice this on Netflix from a SDR source. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page