2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4411Likes

post #5941 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
When you enable HDR in Windows, the TV will stay in HDR mode all the time, regardless of content displayed. For SDR content, Windows sort of emulates SDR within HDR, and has its own SDR brightness slider as part of that. On my system, if I 'Use default color settings' with HDR enabled, Windows uses 8-bit RGB (for both SDR and HDR content) , and uses Dithering as a substitute for 10-bit color depth. If you go that route, and don't want to change settings based on content, then you choose between enabling PC mode to get full 4:4:4 chroma, or not enabling PC mode to get max HDR brightness.

lol I wish I would have known this last week. I spent DAYS trying to figure out what was going on when I installed Gears 5 on my PC. It's all good now, but man HDR with Windows is frustrating.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
When you enable HDR in Windows, the TV will stay in HDR mode all the time, regardless of content displayed. For SDR content, Windows sort of emulates SDR within HDR, and has its own SDR brightness slider as part of that. On my system, if I 'Use default color settings' with HDR enabled, Windows uses 8-bit RGB (for both SDR and HDR content) , and uses Dithering as a substitute for 10-bit color depth. If you go that route, and don't want to change settings based on content, then you choose between enabling PC mode to get full 4:4:4 chroma, or not enabling PC mode to get max HDR brightness.

With windowed apps and on the desktop. It's been my experience that if the application has full screen exclusive control like many games do, then the TV switches to SDR if that's all the app supports.
post #5943 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post
Samsung is good at making TVs but bad at customer service. Best thing to do next time is to buy the TV from a reputable retailer that will exchange the TV for you without having to deal with Samsung. I would never accept a repair if I wasn't even 1 month into my purchase, I would demand a full replacement.
Amazon was great when we refused the first delivery of our Q90R...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5944 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
A question to those who actually own the TV.

If you have a media device that supports Dolby Vision (like the Apple TV 4K), that sends a signal through an A/V Receiver that supports Dolby Vision, into a TV (like the Samsung Q90R) that doesn't support Dolby Vision, what happens? Does the TV downgrade the signal into HDR10, or does it actually play Dolby Vision (even though the Q90R doesn't support it)?

I'm asking because I found this post on the Samsung website:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...p/531145#M1634

They make it sound like you can watch Dolby Vision on the Q90R as long as the rest of the hardware supports Dolby Vision (and the Q90R is the last device in the chain)?
DV has at its core some HDR functionality, with DV-specific stuff as a wrapper around the core. You will still get some (reduced) HDR functions, and as previously stated, possibly HDR10

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
post #5945 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by family_guy View Post
With windowed apps and on the desktop. It's been my experience that if the application has full screen exclusive control like many games do, then the TV switches to SDR if that's all the app supports.
Ah, right you are.
post #5946 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesd View Post
Select "home"-> "source"-> scroll all the way to right->"universal remote"
I am having the same problem as the person you responded to in that my Q90r remote while it does turn off my AVR, it won't turn it on. But it's kinda weird because I programmed it as you explained and now it kind of does turn it on but only after I turn on the system and it doesn't turn it on. It then has a popup on the screen asking me to turn on the Denon. I then have to press the select button rather than the power button and when I do this it does turn on the AVR.

On a side note, like him my AVR is a Denon brand. (X7200WA)

Last edited by Big Shmooz; 09-11-2019 at 03:03 PM.
post #5947 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shmooz View Post
I hope I don't sound too stupid for asking this but where is the "home" option located? (I am having the same problem as the person you responded to in that my Q90r remote while it does turn off my AVR, it won't turn it on)
On a side note, like him my AVR is a Denon brand. (X7200WA)

Button in the middle of the remote with a picture of a house on it.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #5948 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
What is the best way to disable game mode when using video apps on the Xbox? I’d prefer not to leave it in game mode while using Netflix, etc.

The option to switch to movie, natural, etc. is grayed out when ALLM is on.
post #5949 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
Button in the middle of the remote with a picture of a house on it.

Thanks. I kinda figured that part out after posting this.
P.S. I edited my post which reflects this. I also added some info to my post.
post #5950 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Racer View Post
Thanks, I found it now and set up my Denon as Home Theater and it went through the set up procedure correctly where the TV remote will turn on the Denon during the set up test. But, when I exit out of that, the TV remote turns off the Denon (as in the past) but it won't turn on the Denon AVR when I power up the TV.

Read my post located four posts above this one. It may help you resolve the problem in a kind of workaround. Not in an ideal fashion but at least it works.
post #5951 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked: 3045
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodysj View Post
DV has at its core some HDR functionality, with DV-specific stuff as a wrapper around the core. You will still get some (reduced) HDR functions, and as previously stated, possibly HDR10

Just curious what you mean by “reduced HDR...”

HDR 10 is the “standard...” Apple TV only does that or DV... there is no “possibly HDR10....”.

That’s what he will get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5952 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofus222 View Post
What is the best way to disable game mode when using video apps on the Xbox? I’d prefer not to leave it in game mode while using Netflix, etc.

The option to switch to movie, natural, etc. is grayed out when ALLM is on.

Something must be misconfigured...I'm guessing you have Freesync activated.

With Game Mode activated via ALLM (which should only happen while actually in game) your picture mode should be listed as Game and the picture modes aren't accessible. With Game Mode deactivated via ALLM (which happens when on the dashboard or in any other app) you should see those modes available and you should be able to change them at will. This is exactly what you want.

Note that for ALLM to work correctly your Q90 must have self identified your Xbox as an Xbox during setup, Game Mode must be set to Auto, the ALLM setting must be enabled in the Xbox settings, and Freesync can't be used.
jofus222 likes this.

post #5953 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I’m curious, to benefit from HDR10+ on 4K Blu-ray, do you need to go HDMI from player directly to TV? Are any of you getting HDR10+ going through a Marantz AVR or processor? I just recently got a Marantz AV8805 and have not hooked it up yet. Just wondering if I should connect my Panasonic UB9000 through the processor or straight to the TV?
post #5954 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post
I’m curious, to benefit from HDR10+ on 4K Blu-ray, do you need to go HDMI from player directly to TV? Are any of you getting HDR10+ going through a Marantz AVR or processor? I just recently got a Marantz AV8805 and have not hooked it up yet. Just wondering if I should connect my Panasonic UB9000 through the processor or straight to the TV?
Congrats, AV8805 has great reviews.

UB9000 to AV8805 as a video pass through.

7.2.4, AV7702mkII, MM8077, MC205, UDP-203, 82Q90R, Tivo Bolt, Richard Gray 400s, B&W Nautilus, Fathom F113, Harmony Elite
post #5955 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyxwb View Post
What is a good articulated wall mount over the fireplace for this 65" TV? I have not mounted over fireplace and not sure which one is suitable for it? Any help would greatly appreciated.
Echogear on amazon make a realy good mount that extends and swivel

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #5956 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
Congrats, AV8805 has great reviews.

UB9000 to AV8805 as a video pass through.
Thanks! Looking forward to getting the Marantz up and running!

That’s what I’ve decided to do, go video pass through from the UB9000 to the AV8805. No one has definitively said that the AV8805 will not pass HDR10+. At the moment I have no 4K Blu-rays with HDR10+, but should be receiving some soon. I guess I’ll find out then.
post #5957 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post
Thanks! Looking forward to getting the Marantz up and running!

That’s what I’ve decided to do, go video pass through from the UB9000 to the AV8805. No one has definitively said that the AV8805 will not pass HDR10+. At the moment I have no 4K Blu-rays with HDR10+, but should be receiving some soon. I guess I’ll find out then.
I do not think ANY receiver will pass through HDR10+ currently. I have to send HDMI to the one connect box and another HDMI to my receiver for audio since the OCB does not pass through any DTS signal.
BRAC likes this.
post #5958 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
I do not think ANY receiver will pass through HDR10+ currently. I have to send HDMI to the one connect box and another HDMI to my receiver for audio since the OCB does not pass through any DTS signal.

I think you are correct, there are no receivers which support HDR10+. I don't think there has even been any announcements from any manufacturers who are planning to support it in the future.

post #5959 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I think you are correct, there are no receivers which support HDR10+. I don't think there has even been any announcements from any manufacturers who are planning to support it in the future.
It really is dead tech. Basically Samsung owners are stuck with HDR10 unless Samsung finally gives in and starts putting Dolby Vision on their TVs (and who knows if they'll be nice and make it backwards compatible with something like the Q90R although I'm sure it's plenty capable of it). It's frustrating as a consumer to have to choose between one of, if not the, best LCD TVs on the market (Q90R) or an LCD TV that supports DV but likely has inferior contrast/peak brightness/viewing angles/etc. If I hadn't found so many testimonies of burn-in on OLED (it's not over-exaggerated when 7,000 hours of subtitles can ruin your screen) I'd would have likely went with it instead. Samsung is lucky (for the moment).

post #5960 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I have three disks with HDR10+ (Alien, Alita and Godzilla:KOM). Doing some very limited switching between HDR10 and HDR10+ I could not really notice a huge difference using my OPPO. It was probably a placebo effect or maybe wishful thinking but the HDR10+ version did seem to have more shadow detail without washing out anything. I am going to stick with my dual HDMI setup with the OPPO. With this setup I don't have to worry about formats, just put the disk in and enjoy.
Nillaz likes this.

Last edited by tonyjspr9; 09-11-2019 at 09:59 PM. Reason: words
post #5961 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
It really is dead tech. Basically Samsung owners are stuck with HDR10 unless Samsung finally gives in and starts putting Dolby Vision on their TVs (and who knows if they'll be nice and make it backwards compatible with something like the Q90R although I'm sure it's plenty capable of it). It's frustrating as a consumer to have to choose between one of, if not the, best LCD TVs on the market (Q90R) or an LCD TV that supports DV but likely has inferior contrast/peak brightness/viewing angles/etc. If I hadn't found so many testimonies of burn-in on OLED (it's not over-exaggerated when 7,000 hours of subtitles can ruin your screen) I'd would have likely went with it instead. Samsung is lucky (for the moment).

Come On!! 7,000 hours of subtitles!! That is a lot of hours of subtitles. I know when I get to 7,000 hours on my set I will have maybe 50 hours total subtitles? Hey wait a minute, this is the Q90r owners thread right? I don't have to worry about ANY burn-in.

Hope LG does you right in all seriousness.
post #5962 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Come On!! 7,000 hours of subtitles!! That is a lot of hours of subtitles. I know when I get to 7,000 hours on my set I will have maybe 50 hours total subtitles? Hey wait a minute, this is the Q90r owners thread right? I don't have to worry about ANY burn-in.

Hope LG does you right in all seriousness.
Hah, maybe I'm just weird but I watch almost everything with subtitles. That's not my TV but it was the last straw in making me back out of buying a C9. I just wish the Q90R had Dolby Vision (and maybe some more HDMI 2.1 features). Hopefully Samsung is nice and gives the Q90R some features through a firmware update when they release their new TVs next year.
post #5963 of 6002 Old 09-11-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Hah, maybe I'm just weird but I watch almost everything with subtitles. That's not my TV but it was the last straw in making me back out of buying a C9. I just wish the Q90R had Dolby Vision (and maybe some more HDMI 2.1 features). Hopefully Samsung is nice and gives the Q90R some features through a firmware update when they release their new TVs next year.
I have TV's that are capable of Dolby Vision as well (Oled and LCD). I have never had that moment when comparing Dolby Vision to HDR and think the Q90R was trash. I actually turned off Dolby Vision on one of my LCD TV's in the service menu. To me Dolby Vision dims the picture too much so specular highlights show better.

Talking about being weird, I search out HDR instead of Dolby Vision. So to me Samsungs not having Dolby Vision is a plus and not a negative.
Mikejl likes this.
post #5964 of 6002 Old 09-12-2019, 04:16 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Something must be misconfigured...I'm guessing you have Freesync activated.

With Game Mode activated via ALLM (which should only happen while actually in game) your picture mode should be listed as Game and the picture modes aren't accessible. With Game Mode deactivated via ALLM (which happens when on the dashboard or in any other app) you should see those modes available and you should be able to change them at will. This is exactly what you want.

Note that for ALLM to work correctly your Q90 must have self identified your Xbox as an Xbox during setup, Game Mode must be set to Auto, the ALLM setting must be enabled in the Xbox settings, and Freesync can't be used.

Thanks! I do have freesync enabled, so I’ll have to see what happens when I turn it off.
post #5965 of 6002 Old 09-12-2019, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The debate on Dolby Vision on this tv is really a case of wanting it but in reality it doesnt need it. The processing power of this tv is ample. If it had DV it wouldnt make much difference, lower end tvs would benefit more. No tv on the market is true DV anyway as the tv would need to output 10,000 nits Q90 2000 nits. Big marketing farce DV no tv can use it optimaly anyway. Just enjoy the amazing picture you already have.
egrady, Mikejl and Terminader like this.
post #5966 of 6002 Old 09-12-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6568 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyxwb View Post
What is a good articulated wall mount over the fireplace for this 65" TV? I have not mounted over fireplace and not sure which one is suitable for it? Any help would greatly appreciated.
>>> Click Here <<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1969phen View Post
The debate on Dolby Vision on this tv is really a case of wanting it but in reality it doesnt need it. The processing power of this tv is ample. If it had DV it wouldnt make much difference, lower end tvs would benefit more. No tv on the market is true DV anyway as the tv would need to output 10,000 nits Q90 2000 nits. Big marketing farce DV no tv can use it optimaly anyway. Just enjoy the amazing picture you already have.
Its samsungs choice and they have spoken, you are correct you still have HDR
post #5967 of 6002 Old 09-12-2019, 07:18 AM

Liked: 1
This will become even more important when eARC is supported and we should be plugging sources directly to the OCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBinHD View Post
Has anyone found a HDMI switcher that works with the OCB? We have a Wii U, Switch, Wii (with HDMI converter) and old PS3 that i’d like to connect using a switcher. Unfortunately the switcher source isn’t recognized by the TV. It worked fine for me with my previous set up running through my AVR, but since my AVR does not pass 4K, I have it connected via HDMI and optical only to pass sound. That way I never have to change the source on the AVR. Any thoughts on connecting a HDMI switcher to the OCB? Thank you!
post #5968 of 6002 Old 09-12-2019, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I have three disks with HDR10+ (Alien, Alita and Godzilla:KOM). Doing some very limited switching between HDR10 and HDR10+ I could not really notice a huge difference using my OPPO. It was probably a placebo effect or maybe wishful thinking but the HDR10+ version did seem to have more shadow detail without washing out anything. I am going to stick with my dual HDMI setup with the OPPO. With this setup I don't have to worry about formats, just put the disk in and enjoy.

I didn’t even realize Alita was HDR10+ and that’s one of the best looking 4k movies I own, IMHO. Plex or Infuse Pro plays it back flawlessly. No need for an expensive player, just an expensive server!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #5969 of 6002 Old 09-12-2019, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Just curious what you mean by “reduced HDR...”

HDR 10 is the “standard...” Apple TV only does that or DV... there is no “possibly HDR10....”.

That’s what he will get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just meant not the full DV functionality, but rather a subset of it. Not worded very well

post #5970 of 6002 Old 09-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The only HDR10+ disc that I have (that I am aware of) is Alien, and A/B switching demonstrated to me that the difference is negligible, at least on the Q90.

I also use dual HDMI for my bluray player, mostly because I prefer a different calibration for my 4k player vs. my other devices and can't be bothered to manually change settings as I switch sources.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page