2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4037Likes

post #571 of 5181 Old 03-14-2019, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So how are the black levels, is it equal to OLED quality in the dark with no blooming when subtitles are projected on the screen or is that still visible on the Q90 2019 editions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 5181 Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Kozuszek View Post
I wish you luck on making a warranty claim and getting the new model I tried that with my ks9800 last April that was 2yrs old and they said nope we will bring a new panel in which it took two panels before I got a good one. That was geek squad though.
Sometimes this is exactly what happens though.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
For those of us new here, how does one “test” its TV?
You turn the TV on and watch it. If you notice something you do not like then you run tests Trust me when I say these words.....
StevieG and kamouflage like this.
post #573 of 5181 Old 03-14-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Sometimes this is exactly what happens though.....

You turn the TV on and watch it. If you notice something you do not like then you run tests Trust me when I say these words.....
I am assuming they meant what tests do you run.

For myself for example, i have one on order, the first thing i want to do is run tests to make sure i dont have a bad panel.

Two concerning points for me at least is DSE and Banding. If i can test those right way, maybe even while the white glove delivery guys are there...then i can test quickly to determine if i want to keep the panel or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 5181 Old 03-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonvr6 View Post
I am assuming they meant what tests do you run.

For myself for example, i have one on order, the first thing i want to do is run tests to make sure i dont have a bad panel.

Two concerning points for me at least is DSE and Banding. If i can test those right way, maybe even while the white glove delivery guys are there...then i can test quickly to determine if i want to keep the panel or not.
I think you might be misunderstanding what is meant by white glove.

White glove is, at most, they help take the TV out of the box, put it on a stand and make sure it powers up. In some cases it is as little as moving the box inside your house.

The only way those guys, who probably have 10 deliveries scheduled in the same day, are going to hang out while you futz with your new TV and test it is if you slip them some cashola... and even then they might pass if they think it could get their asses fired.
Cuthalu likes this.
post #575 of 5181 Old 03-14-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I think you might be misunderstanding what is meant by white glove.

White glove is, at most, they help take the TV out of the box, put it on a stand and make sure it powers up. In some cases it is as little as moving the box inside your house.

The only way those guys, who probably have 10 deliveries scheduled in the same day, are going to hang out while you futz with your new TV and test it is if you slip them some cashola... and even then they might pass if they think it could get their asses fired.
I get that. They are there to drop it off, unpack and power it on.

I figured IF i can test DSE and Banding in say....under 5 minutes. I could tip them a 20 to hang out that long.

But that goes back to the previous poster....what things to TEST the tv from a technical standpoint? I have no idea what is involved in testing. Newb to this.
post #576 of 5181 Old 03-14-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I get that. They are there to drop it off, unpack and power it on.

I figured IF i can test DSE and Banding in say....under 5 minutes. I could tip them a 20 to hang out that long.

But that goes back to the previous poster....what things to TEST the tv from a technical standpoint? I have no idea what is involved in testing. Newb to this.
All I had to do was type "testing qled panel dse" into Google and I got relevant search results AND test material.
post #577 of 5181 Old 03-14-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
All I had to do was type "testing qled panel dse" into Google and I got relevant search results AND test material.
Thanks. I see there is some banding videos too.

Do these tv's have built in YouTube apps that we can use? Or do people recommend external sources like apple tv. I am assuming it doesnt matter what the source is.
post #578 of 5181 Old 03-14-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Do these tv's have built in YouTube apps that we can use? Or do people recommend external sources like apple tv. I am assuming it doesnt matter what the source is.
You should do a little more research or perhaps someone here who is more knowledgeable can further direct you.

Back when I did the calibration on my VT30 plasma I had to download everything I was going to use and build a thumb drive & DVD with it and then use that to generate test patterns.
post #579 of 5181 Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm going to ask this in the Q80R thead as well. I just bought the Q70R and right above the Samsung logo and bottom half of the bezel, there is this roughly half-inch strip of material that looks glued on to the screen. It looks awful and I don't know what Samsung was thinking. Does this model also have this?
post #580 of 5181 Old 03-14-2019, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. YouTube is installed. When you power it up, it'll ask you to go thru the setup. To save time, you can skip it for now. You would just need to either plug in an ethernet cable or connect to your wifi to run YouTube. You can then search for the test videos.
post #581 of 5181 Old 03-14-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
You can then search for the test videos.

Well, that is just it - there are already several people on here who stated one YouTube test (the DSE hockey one) is too drastic and almost every TV would fail it.

And there are others that are worthless.

Aren't there some set of tests most people use and agree on?

Or is there a new test disk available (like the old Disney WOW, Video Essentials, etc...) that a lot of people use nowadays?

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
post #582 of 5181 Old 03-14-2019, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Well, that is just it - there are already several people on here who stated one YouTube test (the DSE hockey one) is too drastic and almost every TV would fail it.

And there are others that are worthless.

Aren't there some set of tests most people use and agree on?

Or is there a new test disk available (like the old Disney WOW, Video Essentials, etc...) that a lot of people use nowadays?
When I got my q9fn I ran modernwize hockey test and his oled banding test. Sure it showed some issues but I never see it in actual content. And believe me if you been through the TVs I been through I'm pretty picky. I just wanted something bigger so I'm waiting for the 75q90r to be shipped to my local store to swap out the q9.
post #583 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'am able to add the 75 inch Q90R to my cart again, however checking out still doesn't work. Has Samsung publicly addressed this issue anywhere?
post #584 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry for asking this since you probably have stated it in the previous posts. Just little hard to filter through all the above posts.

But what exactly are people concerned about with the Q90r not being fully HDMI 2.1? What will be missing and why is that important I guess. It seems to make it or break it for some people not having it from what I am reading, but at the same time the missing stuff seems trivial?

Thanks! I am looking to pull the trigger on the 75in soon.
post #585 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Bergman View Post
Sorry for asking this since you probably have stated it in the previous posts. Just little hard to filter through all the above posts.

But what exactly are people concerned about with the Q90r not being fully HDMI 2.1? What will be missing and why is that important I guess. It seems to make it or break it for some people not having it from what I am reading, but at the same time the missing stuff seems trivial?

Mostly 4K @ 120hz for Gaming, also 8K @ 60hz

But most of us grown adults dont game lol.

Sorry =D

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
Ted99 and Nathan Bergman like this.

Last edited by moodysj; 03-15-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #586 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Well, right now the Q90R isn't "any" HDMI 2.1 compatible even though Samsung had previously implemented the same thing as VRR (variable refresh rate) in the previous series.

For a lot of people the most important HDMI 2.1 features are;

1. eARC. This will allow you to connect a source directly to the TV or use the TVs built in apps and send full format audio (DTS-HD, Dolby Atmos, etc.) back to the AVR or soundbar. Another component of this which is rarely mentioned is that lip sync correction is a mandatory part of eARC. eARC is a big big big deal. It means that you can directly connect your output devices like 4K blu-ray player, game console, etc., to the TV to get the lowest latency possible, best video processing possible, zero lip sync issues and you will still get HD audio on your external audio device as long as it is eARC compatible (many AVRs got eARC compatibility via firmware upgrade last year).

2. VRR, this will allow 4K game consoles with the feature (currently Xbox but in the future probably all of them) to deliver variable frame-rate output to the television, allowing for higher frame-rates, less motion artifacts, frame-tearing, etc.

3. Game mode - allows the game console to send an HDR flag to the TV to tell it that a game is being played so that the TV switches into game mode automatically.

4. Higher frame-rate. HDMI 2.1 will have enough bandwidth to allow for 4K playback at up to 120 frames per second compared to the 60 frames per second possible with HDMI 2.0a.
Ted99, Keithian and Nathan Bergman like this.
post #587 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodysj View Post
Mostly 4K @ 120hz for Gaming, also 8K @ 60hz

But most of us grown adults dont game lol.

Sorry =D

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Ha thanks! Yeah gaming is not an issue for me. Well that's what also confused me, because I remember the Wired review stated that it can do 4K @ 120hz without HDMI 2.1 anyways. No?

"Some might criticise Samsung for not using the new HDMI 2.1 connection on the Q90, but in reality the HDMI 2.0b standard supports everything you need. This includes 4K at the higher frame rate of 120Hz, dynamic metadata (HDR10+), variable refresh rate (VRR), and an auto low-latency mode (ALLM). Aside from 8K, the only HDMI 2.1 feature that the Q90 doesn’t currently support is enhanced audio return channel (eARC), but that could be added at a later date."
post #588 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Quote:

Well, right now the Q90R isn't "any" HDMI 2.1 compatible even though Samsung had previously implemented the same thing as VRR (variable refresh rate) in the previous series.

For a lot of people the most important HDMI 2.1 features are;

1. eARC. This will allow you to connect a source directly to the TV or use the TVs built in apps and send full format audio (DTS-HD, Dolby Atmos, etc.) back to the AVR or soundbar. Another component of this which is rarely mentioned is that lip sync correction is a mandatory part of eARC. eARC is a big big big deal. It means that you can directly connect your output devices like 4K blu-ray player, game console, etc., to the TV to get the lowest latency possible, best video processing possible, zero lip sync issues and you will still get HD audio on your external audio device as long as it is eARC compatible (many AVRs got eARC compatibility via firmware upgrade last year).

2. VRR, this will allow 4K game consoles with the feature (currently Xbox but in the future probably all of them) to deliver variable frame-rate output to the television, allowing for higher frame-rates, less motion artifacts, frame-tearing, etc.

3. Game mode - allows the game console to send an HDR flag to the TV to tell it that a game is being played so that the TV switches into game mode automatically.

4. Higher frame-rate. HDMI 2.1 will have enough bandwidth to allow for 4K playback at up to 120 frames per second compared to the 60 frames per second possible with HDMI 2.0a.
The Q90R can currently do items 2,3, and 4. So the main thing people are looking for right now is eARC support which may still come.
post #589 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy12 View Post
The Q90R can currently do items 2,3, and 4. So the main thing people are looking for right now is eARC support which may still come.
Nobody in this thread have confirmed this and even HD Guru who reviewed the set said contradictory things about these features;

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuru

The Samsung Q90R should be a very good TV for use with video game consoles, like the Xbox One X. As last year, the television will support Freesynch 2 and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) used with the Xbox One X to eliminate tearing, and will automatically switch into game mode at the start of a game running ALLM
And then later in the same review piece;

Quote:
]However, it’s our understanding that this television will eventually be updated to support such key features as eARC, ALLM, Freesync 2 and Variable Refresh Rate, but it’s strictly “buyer beware” until the proper certifications are issued and announced.

Last edited by jmpage2; 03-15-2019 at 12:54 PM.
post #590 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 01:01 PM

Thank you very much jmpage2 and benboy12!!! Very detailed and what I was looking for. I will just have to see whats important to me. The eARC very well could be important and will read up on it.

So far this TV is pretty close to being the winner for me. This will be quite the upgrade for me. I will be upgrading from a 61" Samsung LED DLP projection tv. Thing was a trooper until about two months ago the DLP chip started dying and I currently have 43 white dots on my screen. Haha.
post #591 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 01:01 PM

Are we saying Samsung's new Dolby Atmos soundbars would be useless with the Q90? I'm confused.
post #592 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Are we saying Samsung's new Dolby Atmos soundbars would be useless with the Q90? I'm confused.
Well that's exactly what I'm saying. Not "totally useless" but you aren't going to get Atmos to it, just DD 5.1 at 640kbps I think.

Assuming that Samsung put hardware in the Q90 that is capable then they should add the eARC feature pronto not only because it makes their own equipment work better but they are going up against competition that has the feature for 2019.

The only reason I can see where they don't do it is to try to push people who want the feature all the way up to the crazy expensive Q900. Knowing Samsung I wouldn't put it past them.

Another reason I suppose is that they are waiting on certification and can't say squat until they get it.
post #593 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Nobody in this thread have confirmed this and even HD Guru who reviewed the set said contradictory things about these features;

Quote:

The Samsung Q90R should be a very good TV for use with video game consoles, like the Xbox One X. As last year, the television will support Freesynch 2 and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) used with the Xbox One X to eliminate tearing, and will automatically switch into game mode at the start of a game running ALLM
And then later in the same review piece;

Quote:
]However, it’s our understanding that this television will eventually be updated to support such key features as eARC, ALLM, Freesync 2 and Variable Refresh Rate, but it’s strictly “buyer beware” until the proper certifications are issued and announced.
I actually own the set and can confirm game mode/ALLM. While I haven’t played around with it enough yet to see it in person, the user manual specifies the set can do both 4k/120 and VRR.
post #594 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I actually own the set and can confirm game mode/ALLM. While I haven’t played around with it enough yet to see it in person, the user manual specifies the set can do both 4k/120 and VRR.
If true then it's a mystery why they don't have eARC already unless the issue is not getting the needed certification from the standards group.

Do you have a PS4? Did Samsung implement the LG hack where they detect Sony's proprietary HDR flag for PS games and switch to game mode for that use case too?
post #595 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If true then it's a mystery why they don't have eARC already unless the issue is not getting the needed certification from the standards group.

Do you have a PS4? Did Samsung implement the LG hack where they detect Sony's proprietary HDR flag for PS games and switch to game mode for that use case too?
I do have a PS4. I’m not familiar with the hack you are referring to. However the set did detect the PS4. When I plugged it in, I received a message that a game console is detected. The PS4 now shows right next to the Netflix, Hulu apps on the main TV UI.
post #596 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
Received the 65Q90R replacement from Amazon this afternoon. This ones a keeper. ARC is working. I'm getting sound from Netflix and the other Smarthub apps through my receiver at last.

This Q90 also has the AA01 panel and there is no problem with DSE on this panel either. The picture looks great.

For those that like pictures of test screens I quickly snapped a few to upload.

Back on Page 18 Mikejl says his replacement ARC is working?

Also, I notice if you go to here samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2019-qled-tv-q90r-series and browse to "See More Specs" it has . . . Audio Return Channel Support (via HDMI port)Yes
post #597 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I'am able to add the 75 inch Q90R to my cart again, however checking out still doesn't work. Has Samsung publicly addressed this issue anywhere?
I don't think so. I've sent an email telling them it's been like this for four days now and didn't get a response.
post #598 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I do have a PS4. I’m not familiar with the hack you are referring to. However the set did detect the PS4. When I plugged it in, I received a message that a game console is detected. The PS4 now shows right next to the Netflix, Hulu apps on the main TV UI.
Sony doesn't do ALLM with the PS4 or PS4 Pro, they instead send an HDR flag that is recognized by Sony TVs and so when a game is being played the Sony TV will automatically switch into game mode.

LG figured out what this flag was and now they also detect game playback (not just the presence of the console). Not sure if Samsung is also doing this.

Would be easy to test. Have your TV set to something other than game mode and then start playing a game and see if it switches to game mode automatically.
post #599 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Well that's exactly what I'm saying. Not "totally useless" but you aren't going to get Atmos to it, just DD 5.1 at 640kbps I think.

Assuming that Samsung put hardware in the Q90 that is capable then they should add the eARC feature pronto not only because it makes their own equipment work better but they are going up against competition that has the feature for 2019.

The only reason I can see where they don't do it is to try to push people who want the feature all the way up to the crazy expensive Q900. Knowing Samsung I wouldn't put it past them.

Another reason I suppose is that they are waiting on certification and can't say squat until they get it.
This is pretty lame. Why would they release a Dolby Atmos soundbar with no Dolby Atmos sound coming from their TVs? Clearly they meant for soundbars to be used with their TVs.
post #600 of 5181 Old 03-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
This is pretty lame. Why would they release a Dolby Atmos soundbar with no Dolby Atmos sound coming from their TVs? Clearly they meant for soundbars to be used with their TVs.
Evil or stupid but my money's on evil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page