2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4996Likes

post #6061 of 7502 Old 09-18-2019, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateX View Post
Thank you. I have turned on Anynet+. It looks like it is just an on/off toggle which is disappointing. We found a screen that listed the devices detected by Anynet+ somewhere before, I can't poke around right now and I can't find a reference on the web... yet.

We have upgraded to a super duper HDMI cable with no luck, but at least we can rule that out.
I'm having the same problem where Q90R will turn off my Denon AVR-X8500H but it won't turn it on. I toggled the Anynet+ button off and the TV would no longer turn off my AVR. Toggling the Anynet+ back on, will allow the TV to turn off the AVR but it still won't turn it on. It worked just fine with my previous Panasonic 65" Plasma TV. Please message me if you find a solution to this issue. I have a Harmony 650 programmed to automatically turn everything on but due to HDMI handshake issues between my TV, AVR and Blu-ray player, I still get "no connection" errors most of the time when using it.

Samsung Q90R 82" TV, Denon AVR-X8500H, Panasonic Blu-ray DP-UB820, Roku 4K Ultra, Klipsch RP-280F L/R, Klipsch RP-450CA center, Klipsch RP-600M L&R surround, Klipsch RP-502S L&R rear surround, Klipsch RP-500SA Atmos front heights, Axiom QS8's as rear height speakers, two SVS PB-16 Ultra subs. Currently set up as a 7.2.4 sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 7502 Old 09-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
I'll assume because it's 480i in black and white, and Vincent has pointed out that this tv will fluctuate light a little, the low quality 480i black and white shows it.
I took a Comcast METV recording of an Alfred Hitchcock Presents and forced playback at 480i, and I didn't see any problem. Have you tried setting Local Dimming to Low? Another thing you could try is enabling General->Accessibility->Grayscale while watching that channel.
post #6063 of 7502 Old 09-18-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I finally got my 82" Q90R last week. Thrilled with the picture, amazing upgrade to my 10 year old Panasonic Plasma. The wall adjacent to the TV is all windows with a southern exposure, and the daytime glare on the old plasma was so bad that the TV was unwatchable. The Q90R anti-reflection and brightness just completely eliminate those reflections. I am super happy, can watch TV during daylight hours again. And watching 4K video is awesome. I love everything about the picture.

But there is one huge problem that is driving me nuts - an uncorrectable audio delay when watching TV through my Fios TV One cable box. My setup is very basic - Fios into One Connect Box on HDMI 1, then HDMI ARC to Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar (ATMOS capable, with wireless surrounds). Samsung TV, Samsung soundbar, this really should work flawlessly. And with internal TV apps - Netflix, Amazon Prime - the audio syncs perfectly with the video. But with the FiosTV One box, the audio lags the video by probably at least 200 ms. It is very noticeable. And unacceptable.

There are audio delay adjustments on both the TV and the cable box, but these adjustment only add audio delay, they aren't design to reduce it, I guess because the normal situation is that delays in video processing cause the video to lag behind the audio. My situation is the opposite - the audio is lagging behind the video. So the available delay adjustments just make the situation worse.

Interestingly, if I change the Fios box audio output from DD to LPCM, the audio delay is fixed! But at the expense of losing the surround channels, which is not acceptable.

So the TV seems to be adding audio delay for DD sources, and I cannot seem to find a way to fix it. I am guessing that if I run the Fios box into the soundbar rather than into the TV, and let the soundbar pass the video to the TV, it will probably fix the problem. Haven't tried that yet. Seems with that setup I wouldn't be able to change sources between Fios and the internal apps with the TV remote, it would add a layer of inconvenience to change sources through the soundbar. I just want my setup to work, because it should.

Any ideas on what is going on here, and how I might fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6064 of 7502 Old 09-18-2019, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
But there is one huge problem that is driving me nuts - an uncorrectable audio delay when watching TV through my Fios TV One cable box. My setup is very basic - Fios into One Connect Box on HDMI 1, then HDMI ARC to Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar (ATMOS capable, with wireless surrounds). Samsung TV, Samsung soundbar, this really should work flawlessly. And with internal TV apps - Netflix, Amazon Prime - the audio syncs perfectly with the video. But with the FiosTV One box, the audio lags the video by probably at least 200 ms. It is very noticeable. And unacceptable.

There are audio delay adjustments on both the TV and the cable box, but these adjustment only add audio delay, they aren't design to reduce it, I guess because the normal situation is that delays in video processing cause the video to lag behind the audio. My situation is the opposite - the audio is lagging behind the video. So the available delay adjustments just make the situation worse.

Interestingly, if I change the Fios box audio output from DD to LPCM, the audio delay is fixed! But at the expense of losing the surround channels, which is not acceptable.

So the TV seems to be adding audio delay for DD sources, and I cannot seem to find a way to fix it. I am guessing that if I run the Fios box into the soundbar rather than into the TV, and let the soundbar pass the video to the TV, it will probably fix the problem. Haven't tried that yet. Seems with that setup I wouldn't be able to change sources between Fios and the internal apps with the TV remote, it would add a layer of inconvenience to change sources through the soundbar. I just want my setup to work, because it should.

Any ideas on what is going on here, and how I might fix it?
You are correct. The excessive audio delay affects DD (and DTS) sound from HDMI sources. It is discussed on many forum e.g.
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/...t/td-p/1165111
Several users have also reported to Samsung. No acceptance or corrective actions in sight.
My work-around is to use S/PDIF from external sources to amplifier (bypassing TV) and use different delay settings for external and internal sources (0ms for TV Apps). (Although it doesn't allow high bit rate sound.)
StevieG likes this.
post #6065 of 7502 Old 09-18-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
You are correct. The excessive audio delay affects DD (and DTS) sound from HDMI sources. It is discussed on many forum e.g.
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/...t/td-p/1165111
Several users have also reported to Samsung. No acceptance or corrective actions in sight.
My work-around is to use S/PDIF from external sources to amplifier (bypassing TV) and use different delay settings for external and internal sources (0ms for TV Apps). (Although it doesn't allow high bit rate sound.)
Thanks for the info. Needless to say, this is frustrating as hell. I will post on the Samsung support forums to add one more voice to the complaint. I guess I will have to try going direct from the cable box to the soundbar, then pass-through to the TV. Hopefully that works.
post #6066 of 7502 Old 09-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
I took a Comcast METV recording of an Alfred Hitchcock Presents and forced playback at 480i, and I didn't see any problem. Have you tried setting Local Dimming to Low? Another thing you could try is enabling General->Accessibility->Grayscale while watching that channel.
Did you record Hitchcock in 720/1080? Then forced to 480i? If so, then I don't think that's an apples to apples, being my feed is 480i from the start.

7.2.4, AV7702mkII, MM8077, MC205, UDP-203, 82Q90R, Tivo Bolt, Richard Gray 400s, B&W Nautilus, Fathom F113, Harmony Elite, thin wallet
post #6067 of 7502 Old 09-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did you record Hitchcock in 720/1080? Then forced to 480i? If so, then I don't think that's an apples to apples, being my feed is 480i from the start.
METV OTA in my area is 480i, and I think Comcast retransmits OTA channels as-is, but I don't know that for sure. It was the best approximation I could come up with.
post #6068 of 7502 Old 09-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
my feed is 480i from the start
Is the Bolt outputting the 480i content at 480i? Does the problem go away if you have it output 480p or higher resolution?
post #6069 of 7502 Old 09-18-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7044 Post(s)
Liked: 7077
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
So I've been very busy over the past few days with my sisters wedding so i didn't have time to delve into what was annoying me with this tv.
I see you wrapped your TV stand? Looking great !

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateX View Post
We have upgraded to a super duper HDMI cable with no luck, but at least we can rule that out.
Do those new cables have the badge below?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	2617334  
post #6070 of 7502 Old 09-18-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Make sure you are exited out of all apps. Maybe restart the TV and then go directly to it.

This worked, thanks!
post #6071 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeNoWeevil View Post
I knew I wasn't going crazy. I'm definitely seeing inverse (purple) ghosting during motion with HDR games while in game mode. It's very apparent in Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 (panning the view left and right shows purple ghosting against geometry). Similar can be seen in GT Sport against the trees by swaying the car side-to-side. It's actually really hard to see in Forza 7 on PC, only on dark geometry against a dark background or text on billboards. Does anyone have any HDR games they can test this with? Enable game mode and turn on LED clear motion to make it easier to see.
ive noticed this playing madden recently

What is the issue with using freesync and allm? I use both and seems fine, heard others say you cant.
post #6072 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
ive noticed this playing madden recently

What is the issue with using freesync and allm? I use both and seems fine, heard others say you cant.

Unless something has changed recently (I haven't tested in awhile) running Freesync overrides ALLM and forces game mode even when not in a game. Note that I have only tested this on the Xbox platform. I run Nvidia GPUs and thus can't test this on PC yet. If Sony ever enables Freesync on PS4 I expect the behavior will be the same.
bjorktribe likes this.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #6073 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Appreciate your help. Local dimming low, med, high made no difference. Grayscale fixed it. Bummer that to watch black and white on MeTv, I need to do enable and disable after watching. I wonder if Tivo is creating the problem. I may try and bypass Tivo and plug the OTA antenna into the Q90R. I'm assuming the tv can receive OTA?

7.2.4, AV7702mkII, MM8077, MC205, UDP-203, 82Q90R, Tivo Bolt, Richard Gray 400s, B&W Nautilus, Fathom F113, Harmony Elite, thin wallet
post #6074 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Local dimming low, med, high made no difference. Grayscale fixed it. Bummer that to watch black and white on MeTv, I need to do enable and disable after watching. I wonder if Tivo is creating the problem. I may try and bypass Tivo and plug the OTA antenna into the Q90R. I'm assuming the tv can receive OTA?
Yes, it can do OTA. Did you try changing the output resolution of the Tivo?
post #6075 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, it can do OTA. Did you try changing the output resolution of the Tivo?
Tried changing output, no difference. Thanks for your help.

post #6076 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Has anyone tried using Sling with the built in TV app? I recently subscribed so i could watch football (NFL Network, ESPN and Redzone) but i've had horrible results.

My stream will periodically just drop and go black, particularly during commercials. After that, the TV just freezes up for a bit and then I have to reset the app to watch again. It's unfortunate because i don't have cable TV and Sling is one of the few options available where you can stream all of the NFL games/channels.

I'm left wondering if it is the Sling service in general or an issue with the built-in Samsung TV app. Curious to know if anyone else has used it and experience similar results?
post #6077 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post
Has anyone tried using Sling with the built in TV app? I recently subscribed so i could watch football (NFL Network, ESPN and Redzone) but i've had horrible results.

My stream will periodically just drop and go black, particularly during commercials. After that, the TV just freezes up for a bit and then I have to reset the app to watch again. It's unfortunate because i don't have cable TV and Sling is one of the few options available where you can stream all of the NFL games/channels.

I'm left wondering if it is the Sling service in general or an issue with the built-in Samsung TV app. Curious to know if anyone else has used it and experience similar results?
I tried the internal Sling app as well as FubuTV(since both have the NFL channel). I wanted so bad to find an app on the tv for my live tv services that have all the channels I wanted so I did not have to have a seperate streaming box. The main thing that had me cancel both is I couldnt get the ticker tape on the bottom of the screen to smooth out. It was always choppy no matter what the tv's motion settings were set too.

I ended up just using an existing external streaming box and subscribing to Playstation Vue. I have Auto Motion Plus off with Vue and motion during football/baseball is great with a smooth ticker tape and no ghosting balls. Sling still sucked externally and Fubutv while better don't have ESPN.
post #6078 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I waiting for my Q90 to be delivered, can't wait to upgrade my 2014 LCD.
Quick question on the built-in apps: I currently use a Roku Stick for mostly Youtube TV, Amazon Prime, Google Play Movies, and Vudu.
Do I even need a Roku with the Q90? Are the built-in apps and UI good enough to use stand-alone?
Terminader likes this.
post #6079 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
I tried the internal Sling app as well as FubuTV(since both have the NFL channel). I wanted so bad to find an app on the tv for my live tv services that have all the channels I wanted so I did not have to have a seperate streaming box. The main thing that had me cancel both is I couldnt get the ticker tape on the bottom of the screen to smooth out. It was always choppy no matter what the tv's motion settings were set too.

I ended up just using an existing external streaming box and subscribing to Playstation Vue. I have Auto Motion Plus off with Vue and motion during football/baseball is great with a smooth ticker tape and no ghosting balls. Sling still sucked externally and Fubutv while better don't have ESPN.

I have a grandfathered ATT Now plan and their internal Samsung app works well.
post #6080 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12865 Post(s)
Liked: 12234
Quote:
Originally Posted by index View Post
I waiting for my Q90 to be delivered, can't wait to upgrade my 2014 LCD.
Quick question on the built-in apps: I currently use a Roku Stick for mostly Youtube TV, Amazon Prime, Google Play Movies, and Vudu.
Do I even need a Roku with the Q90? Are the built-in apps and UI good enough to use stand-alone?
Internal is better. They run smoother almost always.

However, I usually use the apps on my Panasonic BD player cause it's 1 of the only external devices I've found that has good apps. Plus with amazon and Netflix I can use the unique settings it has for dynamic range and other settings. The processing chip in the Panasonic is far above anything you'll see in a regular streamer.
Mikejl and Terminader like this.
post #6081 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post

Zero issues with YouTube TV on mine.
Terminader likes this.
post #6082 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofus222 View Post
I have a grandfathered ATT Now plan and their internal Samsung app works well.
Quote:
Zero issues with YouTube TV on mine.
Figures as much. lol Both of those streaming services don't offer me the NFL Network unfortunately, as a new subscriber at least. Once the NFL season is over sounds like i can cancel Vue and I will go with YouTube TV for a few months.

Thanks for the feed back.
post #6083 of 7502 Old 09-19-2019, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I see you wrapped your TV stand? Looking great !

Do those new cables have the badge below?
Lol not sure I'll ask my bro, but will a receipt showing a hefty price tag do?
post #6084 of 7502 Old 09-20-2019, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Racer View Post
I'm having the same problem where Q90R will turn off my Denon AVR-X8500H but it won't turn it on. I toggled the Anynet+ button off and the TV would no longer turn off my AVR. Toggling the Anynet+ back on, will allow the TV to turn off the AVR but it still won't turn it on. It worked just fine with my previous Panasonic 65" Plasma TV. Please message me if you find a solution to this issue. I have a Harmony 650 programmed to automatically turn everything on but due to HDMI handshake issues between my TV, AVR and Blu-ray player, I still get "no connection" errors most of the time when using it.
Hi,

In my case, when Anynet+ decides to detect CEC enable peripherals plugged into my "old" Samsung TV, what would turn the AVR on as soon as I switched the TV on, would be that the TV's sound output be directed to "Receiver" and not the internal speakers.

The list of audio output choices shows up on my model when I change the volume then press the left cursor button while the volume symbols are still displayed. You can then choose where to output the sound and if "Receiver" is visible (AVR CEC ARC connection established), then the AVR will be considered as the default audio output and powered on a few seconds after the TV.

In this list of audio output choices, that's where (for my JS9500 model) I also discovered the dual audio output with the MultiLink feature: screen split in two (not PIP), one audio to the loudspeakers and the other picture's audio to the Bluetooth earphones!

Cheers,

W.
Robbie Racer likes this.
post #6085 of 7502 Old 09-20-2019, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
Figures as much. lol Both of those streaming services don't offer me the NFL Network unfortunately, as a new subscriber at least. Once the NFL season is over sounds like i can cancel Vue and I will go with YouTube TV for a few months.

Thanks for the feed back.
Exactly, i was asking about Sling specifically because i'm interested in watching NFL football. I don't have a problem with any other apps.

I will have to look into Vue i suppose.
post #6086 of 7502 Old 09-20-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Internal is better. They run smoother almost always.

However, I usually use the apps on my Panasonic BD player cause it's 1 of the only external devices I've found that has good apps. Plus with amazon and Netflix I can use the unique settings it has for dynamic range and other settings. The processing chip in the Panasonic is far above anything you'll see in a regular streamer.
Interesting, wouldn't have figured that a BD player would have better apps than Roku or built-in.
thanks for the feedback. I guess i'll try the built-ins before jumping to a Roku Ultra.
post #6087 of 7502 Old 09-20-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by index View Post
Interesting, wouldn't have figured that a BD player would have better apps than Roku or built-in.
thanks for the feedback. I guess i'll try the built-ins before jumping to a Roku Ultra.

Unfortunately it only has Netflix and Amazon though. But the Panasonic UB820 is a $500 player with a Hollywood processing chip. So it's not surprising its apps are better than a $50 stick. I'm also a big supporter of Samsungs new Quantum Processor, which I would also argue is a more advanced chip than anything you'll find in a Roku or firestick, etc.
Terminader likes this.
post #6088 of 7502 Old 09-20-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 619
I prefer to use my ATV4K over my UB820 and internal apps most of the time. I find the user interface is nicer to use. The only issue I have with ATV4K is the lack of HDR10+ and Atmos support with the Amazon Prime app. Other than that, I honestly don’t see any significant differences in picture quality between the 3 streamers when I switch back and forth from one to the other.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #6089 of 7502 Old 09-21-2019, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
The Sunday ticket app PQ via the Q90 is awful compared to PQ via the Apple TV 4K.
post #6090 of 7502 Old 09-21-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Here's an example of the inverse ghosting on the Q90R with 60fps HDR content in game mode, during dark scenes. Notice the edge of the pillar when panning to the right. I've filed a ticket with Samsung who requested the video but I fully expect them to tell me this is as expected. I hope they tune this in further updates (it's not there outside of game mode).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page