2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5205Likes

post #6301 of 8121 Old 10-14-2019, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Holy Cow,

eARC rolled out it looks like!!!

I haven't read through recent posts, just wanted to pop on and mentioned what happened. I fired up El Camino on the native Q90r Netflix app to finally give it a watch. Audio runs through my 2019 Marantz 6014 AVR. Suddenly in the scene when Pinkman is in the cage in the ground one of the other characters comes to talk to him. HOLY HELL was I surprised when it came out of my Atmos Channels. Well imagine my surprise. Looks like eARC is running with ATMOS pass-through. I will admit to giving up a little hope that it would happen.

While this isn't the best ATMOS sound track ever, since it's a low key film, it is one nice way to be told an update went through with a sudden vertical shift in the sound design to match the scene. Just awesome. The sound is indeed nice. The picture on that film is just superb BTW. a great showpiece for this TV.

Love it. If I'm late to the party on this, apologies.

Cheers

- Funk Audio 21.0 - 2000 year old Bog Sequoia Veneer - 4.8Kw RMS 9.6Kw Peak
- Definitive Technology BP9080 (L/R) - CS9080 (C) - BP9060 (SL/SR)
- Monitor Audio CL165 (x4) Atmos Heights
- Marantz SR6014 - Monolith 9X amp - Samsung Q90r 75”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 8121 Old 10-14-2019, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majister View Post
Holy Cow,

I haven't read through recent posts, just wanted to pop on and mentioned what happened. I fired up El Camino on the native Q90r Netflix app to finally give it a watch. Audio runs through my 2019 Marantz 6014 AVR. Suddenly in the scene when Pinkman is in the cage in the ground one of the other characters comes to talk to him. HOLY HELL was I surprised when it came out of my Atmos Channels. Well imagine my surprise. Looks like eARC is running with ATMOS pass-through. I will admit to giving up a little hope that it would happen.

While this isn't the best ATMOS sound track ever, since it's a low key film, it is one nice way to be told an update went through with a sudden vertical shift in the sound design to match the scene. Just awesome. The sound is indeed nice. The picture on that film is just superb BTW. a great showpiece for this TV.

Cheers
Majister,

Sounds like great news...what is your firmware level? I'm not yet seeing an update available.
post #6303 of 8121 Old 10-14-2019, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Holy Cow,

Cheers

Sorry if i am wrong.

But the Q90r always had atmos over arc, over the compressed Dolby Digital + format.
Ted99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6304 of 8121 Old 10-14-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesd View Post
Majister,

Sounds like great news...what is your firmware level? I'm not yet seeing an update available.
Great question I had to go to bed...I’ll need to check tomorrow. I can’t imagine being wrong about this as ATMOS pass through has never worked before for me. It’s not possible without eARC, so I worked off that assumption. That said a little data would help indeed. I’ll grab it tomorrow.

Cheers

post #6305 of 8121 Old 10-14-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7269 Post(s)
Liked: 7300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Lion King 2019 is visually stunning on the 82" Q90R.
Ya, all of those types of movies look amazing......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Best FALD panel I've ever had, period. The DSE is not noticeable unless purposely looking for it and even then it's extremely hard to see and I'm very sensitive to it. I have no idea why the stuck pixels appeared and it was weird because they were all in the same area and were multiplying as time went on. I was afraid I would get a panel that had alot of DSE but to my surprise the new one has even less so I'm extremely happy with the panel.
That is great news !
post #6306 of 8121 Old 10-14-2019, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elavarasan View Post
Sorry if i am wrong.

But the Q90r always had atmos over arc, over the compressed Dolby Digital + format.
Yes, I think that he's talking about the Atmos that goes through DD+ format via ARC, not the Dolby Atmos via eARC. The TV's native apps like Netflix and such, have this feature of processing "Atmos" over Dolby Digital +. It'd be such a great news if eARC was finally enabled but I don't think it's the case here especially since he's using the native Netflix app.
Ted99 likes this.
post #6307 of 8121 Old 10-14-2019, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Holy Cow,

Cheers
Dont believe its working. I am getting Atmos from DirectTV including on the USC - Notre Dame game Saturday. But it is thru DD+. When I check on my XB1, its only DD. Did note that the DD+ activates automatically when an ATMOS signal is received from DTV.
post #6308 of 8121 Old 10-14-2019, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Today I powered up my Q90R and switched to an HD/SDR only input (with Input Signal Plus disabled), and discovered the Q90R had HDR mode settings active. Second time it's happened. Firmware 1315.
post #6309 of 8121 Old 10-14-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Keiski View Post
Dont believe its working. I am getting Atmos from DirectTV including on the USC - Notre Dame game Saturday. But it is thru DD+. When I check on my XB1, its only DD. Did note that the DD+ activates automatically when an ATMOS signal is received from DTV.
Well...son of a gun. Apologies if I jumped the gun...I’m still learning it looks like.

post #6310 of 8121 Old 10-14-2019, 11:20 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Well...son of a gun. Apologies if I jumped the gun...I’m still learning it looks like.
Did you enjoy the sound? (I think that is what really matters.)
post #6311 of 8121 Old 10-14-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Did you enjoy the sound? (I think that is what really matters.)
it was very nice, I was just surprised, I didn't think atmos from the built in netflix app was supposed to be usable via arc to the receiver. hmmm but I see I was wrong. Well still exciting to hear it work. All in all I am pleased with the integration of my TV with my AV receiver. It's been solid. The DD+ encoded Atmos isn't nearly as nice as other high bitrate sources, but it's great to hear it when used aggressively as it was in this scene from El Cameno

Last edited by Majister; 10-14-2019 at 12:28 PM.
post #6312 of 8121 Old 10-15-2019, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sorry dude. Atmos always played through native to tv netflix and prime and others. Not an eARC update wish it was.
post #6313 of 8121 Old 10-15-2019, 06:29 AM

UK Firmware is now 1318.0 but you have to do it via usb from samsung website. Doesnt show on tv as a new update.
post #6314 of 8121 Old 10-15-2019, 08:45 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1969phen View Post
UK Firmware is now 1318.0 but you have to do it via usb from samsung website. Doesnt show on tv as a new update.
Did you notice any changes?
post #6315 of 8121 Old 10-15-2019, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1969phen View Post
Did you notice any changes?
I went to 1318. I find the local dimming to be less than perfect when compared to the previous version 1315. Could be coincidence. If I had a choice I would stick with 1315.
post #6316 of 8121 Old 10-15-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Has anyone purchased a Q90 after owning an OLED? I currently have a 65” Sony OLED that I am thinking of returning in favor of a 75” Q90.

I am coming from an F8500 plasma so brightness really isn’t a concern for me seeing as the OLED is already significantly brighter.

The 65” just isn’t that big and the 40% screen size increase is nice going to 75”. I am worried about losing PQ though.

Any thoughts??
post #6317 of 8121 Old 10-15-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfarrell4 View Post
Has anyone purchased a Q90 after owning an OLED? I currently have a 65” Sony OLED that I am thinking of returning in favor of a 75” Q90.

I am coming from an F8500 plasma so brightness really isn’t a concern for me seeing as the OLED is already significantly brighter.

The 65” just isn’t that big and the 40% screen size increase is nice going to 75”. I am worried about losing PQ though.

Any thoughts??
I have an OLED on my main floor and a 75"Q90r in the basement. I personally love the TV and for me brightness is huge, HDR is even more of a treat on this beauty. I love my OLED, but size is size and frankly any trade you make for increased size is worth it in my opinion. The Q90r is not an OLED...as you well know, but it absolutely blows me away in terms of picture quite often. This TV on 4K HDR content is amazing. The blacks are very good to excellent and no LED TV has any right to look this good IMHO.

you need to evaluate it on your own. Just mentally prepare yourself going in that it's not an OLED and just embrace the performance it does offer and I think it will surprise you, alot. HDR for me was the real game changer. I will take Q90r black levels all day long for the kind of highligh brightness it can pump out. So far the only movie I've been disappointed with was Interstellar in 4K HDR. It seems I'm not the only one to experience raised blacklevels. But I am not certain this would look any different on my OLED either...in this case it was content not equipment.

Great TV. Size + specular highlights = a really good time.

Note: In expert settings under ST.2048 (HDR) set gama to -2. This is what took the picture from beautiful to mind blowing for me. Black levels are perfect.

post #6318 of 8121 Old 10-15-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
I have an OLED on my main floor and a 75"Q90r in the basement. I personally love the TV and for me brightness is huge, HDR is even more of a treat on this beauty. I love my OLED, but size is size and frankly any trade you make for increased size is worth it in my opinion. The Q90r is not an OLED...as you well know, but it absolutely blows me away in terms of picture quite often. This TV on 4K HDR content is amazing. The blacks are very good to excellent and no LED TV has any right to look this good IMHO.

you need to evaluate it on your own. Just mentally prepare yourself going in that it's not an OLED and just embrace the performance it does offer and I think it will surprise you, alot. HDR for me was the real game changer. I will take Q90r black levels all day long for the kind of highligh brightness it can pump out. So far the only movie I've been disappointed with was Interstellar in 4K HDR. It seems I'm not the only one to experience raised blacklevels. But I am not certain this would look any different on my OLED either...in this case it was content not equipment.

Great TV. Size + specular highlights = a really good time.

Note: In expert settings under ST.2048 (HDR) set gama to -2. This is what took the picture from beautiful to mind blowing for me. Black levels are perfect.
Thank you for this - I do appreciate it. Either way (OLED or Q90) I purchased the 5 YR Best Buy warranty. While I am generally a Samsung fan, I have a hard time believing the set will last 5 years. My plasma died 4 years 11 months and I did not have the warranty. Part of me hopes the new TV will crap out sometime in that time period so I can get a 77" OLED once the price comes down.....

Do you have a bias light on your Q90? I presume that would help perceived black levels even more.

Video: Samsung PN50C550 & PN64F8500
Audio: Infinity Kappa 8.1's powered by a Yamaha HTR-5590
post #6319 of 8121 Old 10-15-2019, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfarrell4 View Post
Do you have a bias light on your Q90? I presume that would help perceived black levels even more.
Personally I think this set doesn't need it. The only reason you might want blacker blacks is if you had an OLED sitting right next to it, and you were attempting to match the displays. The dimming on this set is fantastic, and blacks are amazing.

I have a fair amount of DSE on mine but it's not visible often. Sports obviously show it. I'd play the return game, but I have done that so many times I know that you are just as likely to get a worse defect by playing panel lottery games.

This is the nicest TV I've owned. The motion bothers me a little bit, but I am adjusting. I think the panel is just so bright, and response time is so fast that it exacerbates low frame rate judder.

The image is just mind blowing on good content.

Samsung 55" JS8500, 48" JS9000, 75" Q90R, 46" ES7100 - Sony 65" 900F

I Like Digital!
post #6320 of 8121 Old 10-16-2019, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12873 Post(s)
Liked: 12245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Personally I think this set doesn't need it. The only reason you might want blacker blacks is if you had an OLED sitting right next to it, and you were attempting to match the displays. The dimming on this set is fantastic, and blacks are amazing.

I have a fair amount of DSE on mine but it's not visible often. Sports obviously show it. I'd play the return game, but I have done that so many times I know that you are just as likely to get a worse defect by playing panel lottery games.

This is the nicest TV I've owned. The motion bothers me a little bit, but I am adjusting. I think the panel is just so bright, and response time is so fast that it exacerbates low frame rate judder.

The image is just mind blowing on good content.

Brightness and size will definitely reveal more motion issues that you never noticed before. When I went from a 65 to 75 it was jumping at me like crazy. But I had them side by side and I was able to find the same motion artifacts on the 65 but it was just much smaller. Fast forward to my 82" and I was expecting more motion issues but to. Y surprise the newer/stronger chips seem to have improved the motion and I've actually got less motion issues than my 75Q9FN.
Terminader likes this.
post #6321 of 8121 Old 10-16-2019, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Brightness and size will definitely reveal more motion issues that you never noticed before. When I went from a 65 to 75 it was jumping at me like crazy. But I had them side by side and I was able to find the same motion artifacts on the 65 but it was just much smaller. Fast forward to my 82" and I was expecting more motion issues but to. Y surprise the newer/stronger chips seem to have improved the motion and I've actually got less motion issues than my 75Q9FN.
Yeah. I did read in almost every review that motion was improved over last year. They all complain about the contrast lost to the wide viewing angle tech, but it looks so amazing I think it was a reasonable trade off.

Do you have any noticeable DSE? I can't see mine on most content but it's there. It almost seems like a pattern, so I assume led variance is the reason.

Did anyone count the zones on the 90r? The 75 q9fn had 480. Is this the same?

I Like Digital!
post #6322 of 8121 Old 10-16-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Yeah. I did read in almost every review that motion was improved over last year. They all complain about the contrast lost to the wide viewing angle tech, but it looks so amazing I think it was a reasonable trade off.

Do you have any noticeable DSE? I can't see mine on most content but it's there. It almost seems like a pattern, so I assume led variance is the reason.

It's the same as the Q9FN

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #6323 of 8121 Old 10-16-2019, 10:16 AM

Personally no i havnt seen any difference.
post #6324 of 8121 Old 10-16-2019, 10:20 AM

Can i ask you all if you use the Amazon Music native tv app, has yours been updated to the new Music HD? My app says last updated July 2019 so still the old app. Amazon are advertising this new Music HD format to work with Samsung but it doesn't. Any feedback please
post #6325 of 8121 Old 10-16-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone have an issue where the cable box is re-detected every time you power on the set? Sometimes it lets me set up RF remote, and sometimes now, but it keeps forgetting the device. I just want it to freeze the next time it detects it correctly.

Box is an xfinity X1

I Like Digital!
post #6326 of 8121 Old 10-16-2019, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12873 Post(s)
Liked: 12245
Quote:

DSE on mine is minimal and zone count is 480 (it's listed in the service menu.) Dse was a major problem on 2018 sets but have been much improved on 2019 sets.
Terminader likes this.
post #6327 of 8121 Old 10-17-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
DSE on mine is minimal and zone count is 480 (it's listed in the service menu.) Dse was a major problem on 2018 sets but have been much improved on 2019 sets.
Yeah. I saw some pretty bad q9f and q8f shots. Mine isn't the best, but it's obviously only visible under specific conditions. Also, for a 75" set I know better than to subject myself to the swapping game. Been there, done that, and can't recall ever getting the set I was after. lol

I did go look at some OLEDs at Best Buy and for the first time I didn't feel I was missing out. I never cared for their blueish whites and super reflective screens either, as we watch mostly is some ambient light. I did consider that maybe the q9f would have been a better set for us, but after seeing the DSE pics a quick search brought up I am glad I went with the Q90.
Terminader likes this.

I Like Digital!
post #6328 of 8121 Old 10-17-2019, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Is there anyone that got HDR Plus working with a PC?

Second question. Will we ever see an upgrade to HDMI 2.1 by switching out One Connect box?

Last question. Will we ever see eARC update?
post #6329 of 8121 Old 10-17-2019, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRX View Post
Is there anyone that got HDR Plus working with a PC?

Second question. Will we ever see an upgrade to HDMI 2.1 by switching out One Connect box?

Last question. Will we ever see eARC update?
I believe there is a greater chance Samsung will support these features when they roll out their new line of OLED's before we see them on existing QLED's.
post #6330 of 8121 Old 10-17-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Subscribing here and beginning to do my research. I was pretty set on waiting for the new TCL 8-series but after reading reviews on the Q90R I might just have to go with Samsung. As expensive as this TV is it really does check more boxes for me than anything else. I love the idea of the one connect box and not having to put another outlet in and chase cables through the wall (done it before and not a huge deal but still...), also love the overall thin profile and the flush mount option. I need a 75" TV for my large den and it also gets some pretty bright sunlight during the day from the upper story windows (no blinds or curtains) so this TV sounds like it would excel there along with the great viewing angles. The only thing stopping me right now is the $1000-$1,500 delta in cost compared to my other contenders (TCL 8-series, Vizio P Series Quantum or Quantum X).
Ted99 and Terminader like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page