2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4533Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
So the 82 version is available but no luck on the 75 inch yet? Ugh. I really would like to spend less on the 75 inch.
Yeah its not working for me either. I would send you a PM, but I guess I haven't posted enough yet in the forums. I can add the 75in to my cart, but no matter what shipping address I put in it says "Something went wrong! Please try again later." and it wont let me continue. Is that whats happening to you?

Side question for anyone. Is anyone purchasing extended warranty plans? This is just a pretty spendy purchase so I kind of want to. Worth it?
Nathan Bergman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 66
OT, but QA is not only trolling Vincent, he's uploaded a video of himself trolling Vincent. His comment gets smashed all to hell in Vincent's comments feed, and a couple people posted how they've been critical on QA's pages and his response was to delete negative comments and block them. I'm not sure if this is his first time attacking other reviewers by posting video or not, but it came up in my feed and was the first time I'd noticed it. I try to get in the habit of reading the author before clicking a video because he posts 13 videos a week, but YouTube thinks I'd like to see more of QA. It must be left over data from the first time I discovered him. smh
bjorktribe is offline  
post #633 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Bergman View Post
Yeah its not working for me either. I would send you a PM, but I guess I haven't posted enough yet in the forums. I can add the 75in to my cart, but no matter what shipping address I put in it says "Something went wrong! Please try again later." and it wont let me continue. Is that whats happening to you?



Side question for anyone. Is anyone purchasing extended warranty plans? This is just a pretty spendy purchase so I kind of want to. Worth it?
Consumer Reports always recommends against these types of plans, especially since credit card companies normally extend the manufacturer warranty. It very rarely pays off, but of course it's a preference peace of mind thing with no right or wrong answers.
Nathan Bergman likes this.
Keithian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #634 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: new york Ny
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Bergman View Post
Yeah its not working for me either. I would send you a PM, but I guess I haven't posted enough yet in the forums. I can add the 75in to my cart, but no matter what shipping address I put in it says "Something went wrong! Please try again later." and it wont let me continue. Is that whats happening to you?

Side question for anyone. Is anyone purchasing extended warranty plans? This is just a pretty spendy purchase so I kind of want to. Worth it?
Yes, this has been happening to me all week since Monday. I didn't see an option to increase warranty plan...
EdFlo is offline  
post #635 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 02:56 PM
Member
 
IronManFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwetter View Post
I decided to check this out for ya. I put on S1:E1 of Stranger Things, and it looks good to me. No obvious bleeding, but my room is really bright right now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


Cool! Thanks for testing!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IronManFan is offline  
post #636 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManFan View Post
Cool! Thanks for testing!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This episode is not HDR. With SDR, there is much less subtitle blooming. You would have to test season 2 which is HDR.
sd13 is offline  
post #637 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,575
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6680 Post(s)
Liked: 6676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Consumer Reports always recommends against these types of plans, especially since credit card companies normally extend the manufacturer warranty. It very rarely pays off, but of course it's a preference peace of mind thing with no right or wrong answers.
Tell that to the guy who has a failure up to 6 years.....Cheaper online plans are not so bad, pretty cheap actually.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #638 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Tell that to the guy who has a failure up to 6 years.....Cheaper online plans are not so bad, pretty cheap actually.
I don't work for Consumer Reports. They use statistics, not gut feelings. Again, there is no right or wrong, just preferences.
Keithian is offline  
post #639 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 03:28 PM
Member
 
IronManFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
This episode is not HDR. With SDR, there is much less subtitle blooming. You would have to test season 2 which is HDR.


I’m more curious about letterbox bar darkness than subtitles, as I find the light bleed there more distracting. The Q9FN was rock solid on the average letterboxed film, but 2:1 was a disaster. I had suspected that there was a row of LED backlights right at that line, which is why I’m curious about the Q90, as it’s the same panel, same zones, with an extra filter. Wondering if they managed to fix it. FWIW, it was only ever noticeable in a dark room.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IronManFan is offline  
post #640 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: new york Ny
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Since it was brought up, how does someone extend their warranty?
EdFlo is offline  
post #641 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 06:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Mikejl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
This TV is my first experience with watching HDR content. My normal viewing is always in Movie mode. Right now I'm watching Mowgli on Netflix and it looks amazing in both Movie and Standard modes.

Standard mode is brighter and has a bit more of a SOE look so I'm leaning towards leaving it in Movie mode for watching HDR content.

Those of you that already have HDR TV's, which picture mode do you like to watch HDR content in?
plamen80 likes this.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
Mikejl is offline  
post #642 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Matsonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
This TV is my first experience with watching HDR content. My normal viewing is always in Movie mode. Right now I'm watching Mowgli on Netflix and it looks amazing in both Movie and Standard modes.

Standard mode is brighter and has a bit more of a SOE look so I'm leaning towards leaving it in Movie mode for watching HDR content.

Those of you that already have HDR TV's, which picture mode do you like to watch HDR content in?
If by SOE you mean soap opera effect the default standard mode has the motion interpolation turned on where as movie doesn't. Just turn that to off and then the only differences will be the picture quality and not motion.


I preferred Standard mode for my HDR but as mentioned I would turn the motion smoothing off in the standard mode.
Mikejl likes this.
Matsonia is offline  
post #643 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 07:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Mikejl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsonia View Post
If by SOE you mean soap opera effect the default standard mode has the motion interpolation turned on where as movie doesn't. Just turn that to off and then the only differences will be the picture quality and not motion.


I preferred Standard mode for my HDR but as mentioned I would turn the motion smoothing off in the standard mode.
Yes. I did mean soap opera effect. Standard mode looks much better with auto motion off.

I haven't changed any setting from factory based on your previous recommendation to me.

Thank you.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
Mikejl is offline  
post #644 of 6373 Old 03-16-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WOLVERNOLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DUMFRIES, VA USA
Posts: 2,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Theroetically they should be the same. There were some anecdotal reports that the 75" had less DSE issues in last years model, but it's yet to be seen if that holds true this year. I'm not sure if there's even a large enough sample size to definitively say that for last year's model. The zone count is reportedly the same for both sizes, so Theroetically they should perform the same.
No ! Theoretically, you are incorrect, and in reality, incorrect.
sd13 likes this.
WOLVERNOLE is offline  
post #645 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
Since it was brought up, how does someone extend their warranty?
I purchased the 3 year warranty from Costco. This basically extends the warranty to 4 years. I purchased the TV from Samsung direct using my Costco Anywhere Visa. This credit card will add 2 more years warranty to be applied AFTER the Squaretrade warranty for a total of 6 years coverage.

Given that I purchased my 65" Q90r using the Samsung EPP program, I didn't have any issues with spending an additional $99 for the Squaretrade warranty.
QledBeta is offline  
post #646 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 08:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I just want to report that I am loving the 65" Q90r. I also own the 65" Q9FN and I see lots of improvements. Like everyone else, I have the AA01 panel. I notice the wider viewing angle, richer blacks and sharper images. The upscaling of Netflix SDR content has improved as well. DSE still exists to a lesser extent and is barely noticeable on regular content. I am not a gamer but I did hook up my Nintendo Switch (Mario Odyssey) and it looks fabulous. I'm not allowed to post pics yet but even if I could, I probably would not just because the camera doesn't do the TV justice.

When watching Star Trek Voyager in Natural mode, I see a little black crush of some of the stars in the opening scene. I don't see this when switching to Standard mode. I no longer see the flashlight effect that was caused by local dimming when subtitles were turned on with the Q9FN.

If you are thinking of buying and have the opportunity to view this TV in person, I think you should take the trip. Most of this is subjective as some are more sensitive than others to blooming, DSE, etc. For me, this TV is a great improvement and I could not be more pleased. I watch in a bright room during the day, pitch black at night and with bias lightstrip on back of TV at night. The TV performs well in all of these situations. Comparing to the Q9FN again, the anti-reflective coating has improved as well.

My one complaint is that the stand makes the TV feel flimsy especially compared to the Q9FN. I noticed this right away when applying the hue light strip to the back of the TV. Because of this, I may mount this TV whereas with the Q9FN, I didn't even think about mounting. Right now, I think the TV is in a safe place where it won't get knocked over but I am shocked that it feels so .. wobbly may not be the best word but its the closest I can think of at the moment. The stand itself is 2 parts and the base feels as if it weights 20 pounds. You may not notice it but I notice because I'm coming from the Q9FN which was very sturdy.
fafrd, Cuthalu, Keithian and 2 others like this.
QledBeta is offline  
post #647 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,829
Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12679 Post(s)
Liked: 11914
Quote:
Originally Posted by QledBeta View Post
I just want to report that I am loving the 65" Q90r. I also own the 65" Q9FN and I see lots of improvements. Like everyone else, I have the AA01 panel. I notice the wider viewing angle, richer blacks and sharper images. The upscaling of Netflix SDR content has improved as well. DSE still exists to a lesser extent and is barely noticeable on regular content. I am not a gamer but I did hook up my Nintendo Switch (Mario Odyssey) and it looks fabulous. I'm not allowed to post pics yet but even if I could, I probably would not just because the camera doesn't do the TV justice.

When watching Star Trek Voyager in Natural mode, I see a little black crush of some of the stars in the opening scene. I don't see this when switching to Standard mode. I no longer see the flashlight effect that was caused by local dimming when subtitles were turned on with the Q9FN.

If you are thinking of buying and have the opportunity to view this TV in person, I think you should take the trip. Most of this is subjective as some are more sensitive than others to blooming, DSE, etc. For me, this TV is a great improvement and I could not be more pleased. I watch in a bright room during the day, pitch black at night and with bias lightstrip on back of TV at night. The TV performs well in all of these situations. Comparing to the Q9FN again, the anti-reflective coating has improved as well.

My one complaint is that the stand makes the TV feel flimsy especially compared to the Q9FN. I noticed this right away when applying the hue light strip to the back of the TV. Because of this, I may mount this TV whereas with the Q9FN, I didn't even think about mounting. Right now, I think the TV is in a safe place where it won't get knocked over but I am shocked that it feels so .. wobbly may not be the best word but its the closest I can think of at the moment. The stand itself is 2 parts and the base feels as if it weights 20 pounds. You may not notice it but I notice because I'm coming from the Q9FN which was very sturdy.

Because there's a light chance my Q9FN gets upgraded to a Q90 when I do a warranty claim, I was curious about the stands. Does it seem like the Q9FN stand could be used on the Q90 stand? Or are they completely different hole spots?
ray0414 is offline  
post #648 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by QledBeta View Post
I just want to report that I am loving the 65" Q90r. I also own the 65" Q9FN and I see lots of improvements. Like everyone else, I have the AA01 panel. I notice the wider viewing angle, richer blacks and sharper images. The upscaling of Netflix SDR content has improved as well. DSE still exists to a lesser extent and is barely noticeable on regular content. I am not a gamer but I did hook up my Nintendo Switch (Mario Odyssey) and it looks fabulous. I'm not allowed to post pics yet but even if I could, I probably would not just because the camera doesn't do the TV justice.



When watching Star Trek Voyager in Natural mode, I see a little black crush of some of the stars in the opening scene. I don't see this when switching to Standard mode. I no longer see the flashlight effect that was caused by local dimming when subtitles were turned on with the Q9FN.



If you are thinking of buying and have the opportunity to view this TV in person, I think you should take the trip. Most of this is subjective as some are more sensitive than others to blooming, DSE, etc. For me, this TV is a great improvement and I could not be more pleased. I watch in a bright room during the day, pitch black at night and with bias lightstrip on back of TV at night. The TV performs well in all of these situations. Comparing to the Q9FN again, the anti-reflective coating has improved as well.



My one complaint is that the stand makes the TV feel flimsy especially compared to the Q9FN. I noticed this right away when applying the hue light strip to the back of the TV. Because of this, I may mount this TV whereas with the Q9FN, I didn't even think about mounting. Right now, I think the TV is in a safe place where it won't get knocked over but I am shocked that it feels so .. wobbly may not be the best word but its the closest I can think of at the moment. The stand itself is 2 parts and the base feels as if it weights 20 pounds. You may not notice it but I notice because I'm coming from the Q9FN which was very sturdy.
Thanks for the impression. Coming from a Q9fn, this is all great news. I have minimal DSE that I never really notice on my Q9FN, so any improvement is like icing on the cake.

I am a little concerned about the stand as well. I love the stand on my Q9fn, Its very sturdy, it gives a premium look, and it would take a lot of force to tip the TV over accidentally. This new stand to me at least cheapens the look and the safety of the set. On a positive note, I think I can put my middle speak in front of the set instead of on a shelf below it. Can you please measure the height from your surface it stands on to the bottom of the TV so I know if I can?

Im also dissapointed that here in the US I won't be getting the silver remote. I love the premium feel and simplicity of the Q9fn remote. Oh well, not the end of the world. Do you like the remote?

So now that you have it, you would recommend that it's worth an upgrade from the Q9fn? Without looking at such a granular level between the two and just watching on both, is the picture a striking difference that the average consumer would notice? Like you I have a bright room and watch with the light on in the day. I dim them at night or turn them off, though sometimes I leave them on when I'm eating and watching at the same time.

How is the upscaling in general? How's the upscaling on lower quality sources (720p, 1080i) compared to the Q9fn? How is motion with auto motion on when watching something like hockey or tennis?

EDIT
There is some running commentary in the Q9fn thread about how game mode makes blacks more gray and adds blooming where it doesn't belong. So far, a couple of us can't repeat the issue that a couple of others have. My blacks stay black. I still need to try one more test that Ray posted while I was sleeping. Are you noticing any increased Grey levels, inadequate dimming, or abnormal blooming on game mode?

Thanks.

Last edited by Keithian; 03-17-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Keithian is offline  
post #649 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Because there's a light chance my Q9FN gets upgraded to a Q90 when I do a warranty claim, I was curious about the stands. Does it seem like the Q9FN stand could be used on the Q90 stand? Or are they completely different hole spots?
Its different. If I recall, the Q9FN legs slide in first and then you screw them in whereas the Q90R has a piece that screws to the back and then fits inside the heavy base. I will post pics when I get a chance.
QledBeta is offline  
post #650 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,989
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Question for an owner: The pictures look like the IR receiver for the remote is in the bottom center. Is this correct?

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
Ted99 is offline  
post #651 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 09:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Bergman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodysj View Post
Mostly 4K @ 120hz for Gaming, also 8K @ 60hz

But most of us grown adults dont game lol.

Sorry =D

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk


Ha thanks! Yeah gaming is not an issue for me. Well that's what also confused me, because I remember the Wired review stated that it can do 4K @ 120hz without HDMI 2.1 anyways. No?

"Some might criticise Samsung for not using the new HDMI 2.1 connection on the Q90, but in reality the HDMI 2.0b standard supports everything you need. This includes 4K at the higher frame rate of 120Hz, dynamic metadata (HDR10+), variable refresh rate (VRR), and an auto low-latency mode (ALLM). Aside from 8K, the only HDMI 2.1 feature that the Q90 doesn’t currently support is enhanced audio return channel (eARC), but that could be added at a later date."
It does 4K/120, but only at 4:2:0 chroma and 8 bit color, which is right at the limit of HDMI 2.0b.
SerBronnJames is offline  
post #652 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,829
Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12679 Post(s)
Liked: 11914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Thanks for the impression. Coming from a Q9fn, this is all great news. I have minimal DSE that I never really notice on my Q9FN, so any improvement is like icing on the cake.

I am a little concerned about the stand as well. I love the stand on my Q9fn, Its very sturdy, it gives a premium look, and it would take a lot of force to tip the TV over accidentally. This new stand to me at least cheapens the look and the safety of the set. On a positive note, I think I can put my middle speak in front of the set instead of on a shelf below it. Can you please measure the height from your surface it stands on to the bottom of the TV so I know if I can?

Im also dissapointed that here in the US I won't be getting the silver remote. I love the premium feel and simplicity of the Q9fn remote. Oh well, not the end of the world. Do you like the remote?



Thanks.

The silver remote comes with the 8k model in the USA, and u can purchase it separately if needed. They will pop up on eBay as well.
Keithian likes this.
ray0414 is offline  
post #653 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerBronnJames View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Bergman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodysj View Post
Mostly 4K @ 120hz for Gaming, also 8K @ 60hz

But most of us grown adults dont game lol.

Sorry =D

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk


Ha thanks! Yeah gaming is not an issue for me. Well that's what also confused me, because I remember the Wired review stated that it can do 4K @ 120hz without HDMI 2.1 anyways. No?

"Some might criticise Samsung for not using the new HDMI 2.1 connection on the Q90, but in reality the HDMI 2.0b standard supports everything you need. This includes 4K at the higher frame rate of 120Hz, dynamic metadata (HDR10+), variable refresh rate (VRR), and an auto low-latency mode (ALLM). Aside from 8K, the only HDMI 2.1 feature that the Q90 doesn’t currently support is enhanced audio return channel (eARC), but that could be added at a later date."
It does 4K/120, but only at 4:2:0 chroma and 8 bit color, which is right at the limit of HDMI 2.0b.
According to the manual you can get 4K/120 at 10 bit color, but it is 4:2:0 chroma
benboy12 is offline  
post #654 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Mikejl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
Question for an owner: The pictures look like the IR receiver for the remote is in the bottom center. Is this correct?
Yes. Right below where the Samsung logo is placed.

I actually contacted Samsung Chat support to get the IR Receiver location. I spent a lot of time and trouble trying to get my URC MX-990 and MRF-260 IR Emitter placed where it would work with my TV Cabinet cover on.

Once they told me the location I was able to notch the inside of my cabinet cover and place an emitter facing just left of the logo. Works perfectly.

By the way, what picture did you look at that tipped you off to the possible location?

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
Mikejl is offline  
post #655 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Thanks for the impression. Coming from a Q9fn, this is all great news. I have minimal DSE that I never really notice on my Q9FN, so any improvement is like icing on the cake.

I am a little concerned about the stand as well. I love the stand on my Q9fn, Its very sturdy, it gives a premium look, and it would take a lot of force to tip the TV over accidentally. This new stand to me at least cheapens the look and the safety of the set. On a positive note, I think I can put my middle speak in front of the set instead of on a shelf below it. Can you please measure the height from your surface it stands on to the bottom of the TV so I know if I can?

Im also dissapointed that here in the US I won't be getting the silver remote. I love the premium feel and simplicity of the Q9fn remote. Oh well, not the end of the world. Do you like the remote?

So now that you have it, you would recommend that it's worth an upgrade from the Q9fn? Without looking at such a granular level between the two and just watching on both, is the picture a striking difference that the average consumer would notice? Like you I have a bright room and watch with the light on in the day. I dim them at night or turn them off, though sometimes I leave them on when I'm eating and watching at the same time.

How is the upscaling in general? How's the upscaling on lower quality sources (720p, 1080i) compared to the Q9fn? How is motion with auto motion on when watching something like hockey or tennis?

EDIT
There is some running commentary in the Q9fn thread about how game mode makes blacks more gray and adds blooming where it doesn't belong. So far, a couple of us can't repeat the issue that a couple of others have. My blacks stay black. I still need to try one more test that Ray posted while I was sleeping. Are you noticing any increased Grey levels, inadequate dimming, or abnormal blooming on game mode?

Thanks.

1. Measurement from the surface of the stand to bottom of TV is very close to 3 1/2 inches.
2. I already miss the silver remote.. If its possible, I will definitely buy the one for Q900 for use with Q90
3. The upgrade is worth it to me because I already planned to purchase another TV. I also notice that I liked the Standard mode out of the box with a few little tweaks.. same for Natural mode. However, on the Q9FN, I did spend considerable time dialing in the settings to my liking. It was also worth it to me because of the savings of the EPP. End of last year, I purchased my Q9FN off of Ebay for a very good price and the EPP for Q90R came really close to that price - so for me, it was a no brainer.
4. Upscaling looks great. I use a 4K Roku set to 1080p so that the TV can upscale and it looks great. I also checked out the smart Apps on the TV and they look a little better than with the Roku. The improved upscaling was one of the main reasons I wanted this TV. Some shows are better than others, but it works for me.
5. The motion seems fine to me but I'm not a big sports watcher. I did turn on Skiing and yep, with all that white snow I saw DSE. It was OK for me and as they say, its hard to not see it once you know about it. Before I started reading this forum I was happy and ignorant of DSE.
6. I will leave the gaming question to someone else, because I have little experience in this area.
Keithian likes this.
QledBeta is offline  
post #656 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by QledBeta View Post
1. Measurement from the surface of the stand to bottom of TV is very close to 3 1/2 inches.

2. I already miss the silver remote.. If its possible, I will definitely buy the one for Q900 for use with Q90

3. The upgrade is worth it to me because I already planned to purchase another TV. I also notice that I liked the Standard mode out of the box with a few little tweaks.. same for Natural mode. However, on the Q9FN, I did spend considerable time dialing in the settings to my liking. It was also worth it to me because of the savings of the EPP. End of last year, I purchased my Q9FN off of Ebay for a very good price and the EPP for Q90R came really close to that price - so for me, it was a no brainer.

4. Upscaling looks great. I use a 4K Roku set to 1080p so that the TV can upscale and it looks great. I also checked out the smart Apps on the TV and they look a little better than with the Roku. The improved upscaling was one of the main reasons I wanted this TV. Some shows are better than others, but it works for me.

5. The motion seems fine to me but I'm not a big sports watcher. I did turn on Skiing and yep, with all that white snow I saw DSE. It was OK for me and as they say, its hard to not see it once you know about it. Before I started reading this forum I was happy and ignorant of DSE.

6. I will leave the gaming question to someone else, because I have little experience in this area.
Thanks for the detailed response. I also enjoyed my ignorance for many years of things like DSE before I came to these forums, but I am able to completely forgot about it on my q9fn because to me it really isn't that bad at all. Like everyone says panels will vary, what people watch will vary, and tolerance levels vary as well. As there is no perfect set, as long as one feels the positives far outweigh the negatives, one should be happy

Thank you for the measurement of the stand as now I'll be able to place my center speaker underneath the TV as it's just under three and a half inches in height.

If at some point you do get the metal remote, please post that it all works perfectly and where you got it as I'll probably do the same. .

So far, with the limited ownership in the thread, but generally very positive feedback, I'm going to keep my 82" on order. The fact that you are also coming from a Q9fn and didn't say to me that you'd be hesistant to upgrade if you were in my shoes is a positive as well. My 75" Q9fn will move to the bedroom and that will replace a 2011 70" Elite.

Looking forward to more feedback as you continue to use the set and from others.
dreaux likes this.
Keithian is offline  
post #657 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Darin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 6,104
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Theroetically they should be the same. There were some anecdotal reports that the 75" had less DSE issues in last years model, but it's yet to be seen if that holds true this year. I'm not sure if there's even a large enough sample size to definitively say that for last year's model. The zone count is reportedly the same for both sizes, so Theoretically they should perform the same.
No ! Theoretically, you are incorrect, and in reality, incorrect.
Care to explain why the 65Q90 should perform differently than the 75Q90?
Darin is offline  
post #658 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Thanks for the detailed response. I also enjoyed my ignorance for many years of things like DSE before I came to these forums, but I am able to completely forgot about it on my q9fn because to me it really isn't that bad at all. Like everyone says panels will vary, what people watch will vary, and tolerance levels vary as well. As there is no perfect set, as long as one feels the positives far outweigh the negatives, one should be happy

Thank you for the measurement of the stand as now I'll be able to place my center speaker underneath the TV as it's just under three and a half inches in height.

If at some point you do get the metal remote, please post that it all works perfectly and where you got it as I'll probably do the same. .

So far, with the limited ownership in the thread, but generally very positive feedback, I'm going to keep my 82" on order. The fact that you are also coming from a Q9fn and didn't say to me that you'd be hesistant to upgrade if you were in my shoes is a positive as well. My 75" Q9fn will move to the bedroom and that will replace a 2011 70" Elite.

Looking forward to more feedback as you continue to use the set and from others.
You should ignore issues on these forums that don't effect you. I had an OLED with no banding and all I kept reading on the forums was banding banding banding. I didn't knock the issue, it just didn't effect MY viewing so I moved on. But I did understand it was an issue for many people. Dse didn't come to my set due to me reading posts, or running test patterns to go looking for them. It found me, and it bothered me. People shouldn't go looking for issues, but if something bothers them they should not hold back and accept it or like to themselves that they'll get used to it or that it will get better after the break-in period.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Keithian likes this.
sd13 is offline  
post #659 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,989
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
Yes. Right below where the Samsung logo is placed.

I actually contacted Samsung Chat support to get the IR Receiver location. I spent a lot of time and trouble trying to get my URC MX-990 and MRF-260 IR Emitter placed where it would work with my TV Cabinet cover on.

Once they told me the location I was able to notch the inside of my cabinet cover and place an emitter facing just left of the logo. Works perfectly.

By the way, what picture did you look at that tipped you off to the possible location?
Thanks. The picture on the Samsung site. When I look at the Q900 picture, I see a bulge at the bottom right corner that looks like the IR receiver. The Q90 center "bent" stand and IR receiver works against my current setup with a center speaker, without an extender. The Q900 physical arrangement with side stands actually works better for my situation. I'm satisfied with 4K, for the next couple of years, but may have to go with the Q900 just for that, unless I bite the bullet and do a wall mount.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
Ted99 is offline  
post #660 of 6373 Old 03-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Can anyone checkout with the 75 yet? No matter what I do I keep getting errors when I try and checkout...
WVU85 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off