2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 232 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4803Likes

post #6931 of 6994 Old 12-01-2019, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
FWIW, Movie picture mode with Warm2 color tone should be the most accurate combination, for both SDR and HDR. And for HDR Movie/Warm2, accuracy should be further improved by lowering Contrast somewhat; you wouldn't know exactly how much without measuring, but I believe another 82" owner uses 42 (from calibration), and I use 45 (from calibration) on my 75".
Update: In movie mode in a dark room, I am no longer noticing any issues! Any minor backlight artifacts are so subtle that I can’t notice in any ordinary viewing condition, and for those that do occur, I’m pretty sure they are due to the particular content interacting with the FALD algorithm (not a defect in the TV backlights) — because I haven’t noticed any issues in any other content so far.

Thanks again for letting me know about the bug (or whatever it is) in standard mode with high local dimming. With movie mode and high local dimming, or standard mode with medium/low dimming modes, I am now very happy with this TV, and am really enjoying it so far!

Regarding color temperature: Interestingly, Warm2 seems much too warm to me at least perceptively — most content renders skin too red and skies not blue, etc. Warm1 seems perfect though. I suppose there’s no way to know for sure without a calibration disc, though.

Standard color temperature definitely seems too blue. I wonder why Samsung would name it so incorrectly then? Seems like they’ve been doing this for a while, too.

It is also weird how the different video modes (e.g. Dynamic, Standard, Natural, Movie) are not just presets but appear to have some hidden internal settings. Because even if I set all the settings between e.g. Dynamic and Standard to be the same, they look completely different. I wish there was documentation on this that was more precise about what exactly these do.

Neumann KH310A | Neumann KH120A | Ascend Sierra Towers & Horizon (RAAL) | Ascend Sierra 2EX | Revel F206 | Rythmik F18 | JL Audio E112 | SMSL M500 | Topping D10 | Sonos Amp | Marantz SR7012

Last edited by echopraxia; 12-01-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 6994 Old 12-01-2019, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
That may change things a bit. I have ARC and CEC disabled on the receiver. I also use a Harmony so CEC is an impediment and I mostly stream through an Nvidia Shield, making ARC unnecessary. I don't even have my receiver connected to the ARC port (I believe I have the Denon connected to HDMI 1). On the extremely rare occasion where I am using an internal TV app I have an optical cable running to the receiver from the One Connect for audio. If I have time tomorrow I may purposely break ALLM so I have to go through the process again and see what's what.

Sorry you are having these issues. I like the Q90 a lot, but some of the features can be somewhat of a pain to work with.
Hi Nillaz, I was wondering if you had a chance to purposely break the ALLM and run a reset?

What's interesting is when I did have it working for a while, it didn't have issues even after I renamed the input to the name of the receiver vs Xbox One. Anyways, not a big deal if you don't want to go through the hassle of a reset - just figured I'd ask Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #6933 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6846 Post(s)
Liked: 6842
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowlaw View Post
Most other TV's on this site would have already had a detailed discussion on the newest firmware that was just released.

Is anybody seeing any improvements in picture quality, especially when upscaling broadcast tv?
Firmware is not going to specifically help crap broadcast TV, especially when considering you probably want to see a big bump. You would need to add a video scaler to help that out......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6934 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
My brand new Q90 lasted two days.
Halfway thru a movie, it just flipped to No Signal and hasn't changed since.
I've tried resetting the TV, disconnecting power overnight, directly connecting components to the box, trying many different HDMI cables. But nothing seems to have changed.
Anybody else having signal problems here?
Any suggestions on how to fix?
post #6935 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post
Hi Nillaz, I was wondering if you had a chance to purposely break the ALLM and run a reset?

What's interesting is when I did have it working for a while, it didn't have issues even after I renamed the input to the name of the receiver vs Xbox One. Anyways, not a big deal if you don't want to go through the hassle of a reset - just figured I'd ask Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've decided that I want to completely reconfigure my whole system anyway so I am definitely doing this, but I'm getting my butt kicked by the flu right now. With a little luck I won't feel so crappy tomorrow and will make it a point to get it done.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #6936 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
im actually using HDR+ mode that is turned on in the service menu similar to turning on Cal Day/Night modes.
How does one get this super-secret HDR+ mode activated? I don't know how to get into the service menu because the tv remote that I have only has one button.
post #6937 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by huttyhawk View Post
How does one get this super-secret HDR+ mode activated? I don't know how to get into the service menu because the tv remote that I have only has one button.

I'm not sure you can do this with the One Remote. Typically you need a traditional Samsung IR remote to get into the service menu, though a customized remote like a Harmony can also get the job done.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #6938 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Just finished up the calibration on my 75". Poor guys laptop was not behaving so he had to skip the initial auto calibration and do it all manually. Took some time! And then the damn TV wasn't cooperating with us when switching sources so that added a bit more time to get straight.

I'm really surprised at how much he was able to widen the color range without making things look totally fake or wrong. Have a look at my graphs to see how far out of whack the grayscale was. I'd recommend to anyone to have it done if you don't mind dropping a few more dollars.

Can't recall who it was in the Tampa area that wanted to know how it turned out, but whomever you are it's worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-post-grayscale.png
Views:	51
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	2648530  
Terminader and ray0414 like this.
post #6939 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionblue View Post
Have a look at my graphs to see how far out of whack the grayscale was.
What picture mode and color tone is the final calibration using? The pre-cal graphs look really bad; were they for the same picture mode and color tone, or something different? Did they do both SDR and HDR? Just curious.
post #6940 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
What picture mode and color tone is the final calibration using? The pre-cal graphs look really bad; were they for the same picture mode and color tone, or something different? Did they do both SDR and HDR? Just curious.

He did SDR and HDR. The pre calibration was movie mode and the settings I had before (I think). Not entirely sure what mode post was in here since he added Night and Day modes as well.

He initially setup Movie mode for HDR only thinking the Tv would auto switch, but that was a no go. I told him how it worked before so we went in Night mode with an HDR source and copied settings over to it. Now everything auto switches perfectly.

He was actually pretty shocked at how black the bars were and how little blooming he saw. I know I’m happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #6941 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Looked at the docs again. Pre was my settings in movie and post is Cal-Night.

post #6942 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
He initially setup Movie mode for HDR only thinking the Tv would auto switch, but that was a no go. I told him how it worked before so we went in Night mode with an HDR source and copied settings over to it. Now everything auto switches perfectly.
You're using Cal-Day/Night for HDR? AFAIK, they're only suitable for SDR. See this post.
post #6943 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
You're using Cal-Day/Night for HDR? AFAIK, they're only suitable for SDR. See this post.

He initially setup movie mode for HDR, but the TV didn’t automatically switch to that mode with a HDR signal. Copying the settings over to Night it auto switched just fine. Well, there were settings that we didn’t set for HDR because you’re not supposed to, but the custom color space worked perfectly. I sure as hell don’t want to switch modes all the damn time!

Keep in mind I’m only using 2 sources, cable and ATV4K, and the ATV handles different formats, including anything HDR. So being able to set things per signal is a must and everything seems to be working properly.

post #6944 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
He initially setup movie mode for HDR, but the TV didn’t automatically switch to that mode with a HDR signal. Copying the settings over to Night it auto switched just fine.
I understand about not automatically switching from Cal-Day/Night to Movie, that's why I don't use them. But just copying the settings into Cal-Night doesn't solve the problem. As I understand it, if you were to measure HDR with Cal-Night selected, it wouldn't measure the same as with Movie selected, even though the settings are the same. If the HDR calibration was done in Movie mode, and then the settings were just copied to Cal-Night, and no HDR measurements were actually done using Cal-Night, then you don't know if using Cal-Night for HDR produces the correct result, and as I understand it, it using Cal-Night for HDR won't produce correct results.
post #6945 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I understand about not automatically switching from Cal-Day/Night to Movie, that's why I don't use them. But just copying the settings into Cal-Night doesn't solve the problem. As I understand it, if you were to measure HDR with Cal-Night selected, it wouldn't measure the same as with Movie selected, even though the settings are the same. If the HDR calibration was done in Movie mode, and then the settings were just copied to Cal-Night, and no HDR measurements were actually done using Cal-Night, then you don't know if using Cal-Night for HDR produces the correct result, and as I understand it, it using Cal-Night for HDR won't produce correct results.

Ah. I understand you now. I will ask the guy and see what he says. I can see a slight shift going from one to the other so they’re definitely not the same.

post #6946 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:

You know the funny thing? I was going to tell him to just do everything in movie mode to make things simpler on my end. Especially since it was switching on signal or source just fine. Should have opened my damn mouth.

Still waiting to hear what he says. Luckily he’s only a few miles away so it isn’t out of his way.

post #6947 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDyRa View Post
My brand new Q90 lasted two days.
Halfway thru a movie, it just flipped to No Signal and hasn't changed since.
I've tried resetting the TV, disconnecting power overnight, directly connecting components to the box, trying many different HDMI cables. But nothing seems to have changed.
Anybody else having signal problems here?
Any suggestions on how to fix?
I had exactly the same problem. See posts from a few days ago with detail of the similar issue I had -- also at the 2 day old mark. TV purchased from Amazon.

I purchased a new One Connect Cable (because I was impatient to wait on Samsung to ship a new One Connect Box + new One Connect Cable --- that are due to arrive next week). It immediately fixed the issue of "no signal" on all the HDMI ports.

Hard to believe a cable could "go bad" half way through watching a show. I was stunned when the new OC cable fixed the issue.

The good part is now I will now have a spare OCB and OCC as back-up. The bad news it I spent a couple hundred $ on a new OCC because I have no patience to wait for a week while Samsung sends the replacement units.
gtscode likes this.
post #6948 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, there were settings that we didn’t set for HDR because you’re not supposed to
Which settings are those?
post #6949 of 6994 Old 12-02-2019, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just bought a new 65 inch Q90R on Black Friday. Tried it out for a few days with the Standard picture mode with tweaks found on the web. Colors didn't seem quite right. I am coming from an LG OLED65G6P with the dreaded burn-in from too much TV news watching (if only I had known beforehand). Arghhhh.

Finally woke up and switched the Q90R over to Movie picture mode with a few tweaks (e.g. Backlight = 30, ColorTemp = Warm1). Now very satisfied with the picture color so far.

This will be my general purpose Family Room TV (FIOS, DVD, 2D movies, Youtube, Netflix). My scarred LG OLED will be relegated to 3D movies only from this point onward.

Definitely impressed with the Q90R. The viewing angle is pretty good. So much better than my ancient Sony 46 inch XBR8 (Triluminos LED backlight) from many years back. After that Sony, I went with a couple of Panasonic Plasmas. The first one of those was/is awesome (VT25 54 inch). Still use this one in the bedroom. The 2nd one, 65 inch VT60 (I think), developed large faint splotches after a couple years, so I gave that one away.

Samsung has done a great job with the Q90R. I never thought that an LCD TV could look so good.
egrady, Terminader and ray0414 like this.
post #6950 of 6994 Old 12-03-2019, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, I am new owner of QE75Q90R. Do we have any place where all necessary information is collected? Presets, service menu hotkeys, ability to change region for SmartHub and so on?
post #6951 of 6994 Old 12-03-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Which settings are those?

Never mind my last. It was a long day staring at the damn menus.

Since he calibrated HDR in movie mode where it should be, I moved all SDR settings over to movie mode in there respective signals/source. They now match the night mode he setup and I verified they look identical. Now it works exactly as it was before.

I do need to tweak my cable source. Problem is some channels look great and others not so much.

post #6952 of 6994 Old 12-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Have a look at my graphs to see how far out of whack the grayscale was.
Just curious, did he explain why he used a Gamma target of 2.4 instead of BT.1886? I guess his "Total" dE2000 means "Average". FWIW, my most recent SDR calibration has an average of 0.5, with a max of 1, measuring 21 points rather than 10, but that's with target BT.1886. (Looking at only the same 10 points the average is 0.4, max 0.7.) How do your HDR charts look?
post #6953 of 6994 Old 12-03-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Just curious, did he explain why he used a Gamma target of 2.4 instead of BT.1886? I guess his "Total" dE2000 means "Average". FWIW, my most recent SDR calibration has an average of 0.5, with a max of 1, measuring 21 points rather than 10, but that's with target BT.1886. (Looking at only the same 10 points the average is 0.4, max 0.7.) How do your HDR charts look?
I couldn't rightly say. It's definitely set to BT.1886 for SDR. I've attached all the data I got except for some color volume, HDR P3 coverage, and 2020 coverage. The raw data doesn't mean much to me, but maybe it will for you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDR-pre-post-gamut.png
Views:	32
Size:	604.9 KB
ID:	2648778   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDR-pre-data.png
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	2648780   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDR-post-data.png
Views:	31
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	2648782   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR-pre.png
Size:	785.8 KB
ID:	2648784   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR-post.png
Size:	772.5 KB
ID:	2648786  

post #6954 of 6994 Old 12-03-2019, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The raw data doesn't mean much to me, but maybe it will for you!
Your HDR grayscale is better than my current calibration, I have average 5.86, max 15. My HDR 50% color is better with average 11.45, max 23.2. Too bad he didn't give you any sort of Color Checker chart, as it would probably be more informative. I also don't see an HDR peak brightness measurement. Did he lower HDR Backlight or Contrast, or are they both at 50?
post #6955 of 6994 Old 12-03-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Your HDR grayscale is better than my current calibration, I have average 5.86, max 15. My HDR 50% color is better with average 11.45, max 23.2. Too bad he didn't give you any sort of Color Checker chart, as it would probably be more informative. I also don't see an HDR peak brightness measurement. Did he lower HDR Backlight or Contrast, or are they both at 50?

I think he said he measured peak at 1500 nits along with saying that’s amazing. Backlight is 50 and contrast is 40. He provided some color maps. I’ve attached them below.

Terminader likes this.
post #6956 of 6994 Old 12-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think he said he measured peak at 1500 nits along with saying that’s amazing. Backlight is 50 and contrast is 40. He provided some color maps.
From the gamut coverage, the calibrated HDR peak is 1464 nits, which is definitely good with contrast at 40. The ColorChecker results are good, but they're for SDR. He didn't provide one for HDR?
post #6957 of 6994 Old 12-03-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
From the gamut coverage, the calibrated HDR peak is 1464 nits, which is definitely good with contrast at 40. The ColorChecker results are good, but they're for SDR. He didn't provide one for HDR?

He didn’t. He ran a color volume thing that took forever, but that isn’t what you’re after I think.

post #6958 of 6994 Old 12-03-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
What does the latest firmware update bring?
post #6959 of 6994 Old 12-03-2019, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancail View Post
I had exactly the same problem. I purchased a new One Connect Cable (because I was impatient to wait on Samsung to ship a new One Connect Box + new One Connect Cable --- that are due to arrive next week). It immediately fixed the issue of "no signal" on all the HDMI ports.

Thanks for the advice.
I'll try that out.
post #6960 of 6994 Old 12-04-2019, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRX View Post
What does the latest firmware update bring?
I'm not sure. Maybe that is a good thing...I didn't have any issues before and didn't see any noticeable differences (display/features).

I had to do the update via USB, it was not yet available using the auto update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page