2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 234 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4955Likes

post #6991 of 7408 Old 12-07-2019, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the Q90R and Q80 soundbar and I also have major lip sync issues if I connect my Humax and Roku into the OCB.

I have got around it by plugging the Humax into the soundbar and using the built in apps for Netflix, prime and nowtv. Also I have connected the arc out from the soundbar to hdmi 1 on the OCB (not hdmi 3 Arc).

This was the only way I could get them playing nice together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6992 of 7408 Old 12-07-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have recently noticed the DSE FALD grid pattern on my 75" Q90R on content with white backgrounds. It's quite noticeable on Hockey matches and also some movies with white backgrounds. One example of this is the start scene in Blade Runner 2049 where K arrives in his spinner against the white background. I have attached the picture of the grid pattern and was wondering if the DSE on my TV is on the more severe or normal side of the spectrum. I still have this under warranty and can get Samsung to potentially change the panel but will not do so if my DSE is on the less severe or normal side. I was wondering if you guys could have a look and share your thoughts. The DSE in the Blade Runner pic is slightly more apparent in real-life.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSE1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2650850   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSE2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	2650852  

Last edited by danielwwm; 12-07-2019 at 06:44 PM.
post #6993 of 7408 Old 12-07-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 503
That is pretty bad DSE in my opinion. On my 82" on a completely white screen you'd be hard pressed to find any DSE at all. On a moving white image you can barely barely see it but it's super light and hard to see even when looking for it on challenging content.
ohyeah32, Terminader and danielwwm like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6994 of 7408 Old 12-07-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
That is pretty bad DSE in my opinion. On my 82" on a completely white screen you'd be hard pressed to find any DSE at all. On a moving white image you can barely barely see it but it's super light and hard to see even when looking for it on challenging content.
Thanks Slickman for that. Apppreciate the feedback and I will ask Samsung to swap the panel over.
post #6995 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwwm View Post
I have recently noticed the DSE FALD grid pattern on my 75" Q90R on content with white backgrounds. It's quite noticeable on Hockey matches and also some movies with white backgrounds. One example of this is the start scene in Blade Runner 2049 where K arrives in his spinner against the white background. I have attached the picture of the grid pattern and was wondering if the DSE on my TV is on the more severe or normal side of the spectrum. I still have this under warranty and can get Samsung to potentially change the panel but will not do so if my DSE is on the less severe or normal side. I was wondering if you guys could have a look and share your thoughts. The DSE in the Blade Runner pic is slightly more apparent in real-life.

Thanks in advance
Here is what mine looks like:

https://imgur.com/a/2S9uz3J

My camera makes it look worst than what it actually looks like. I am not seeing any DSE on my screen like slickman. Maybe a little bit I really have to look for it. I took the pictures with my iPhone and it makes it look works with the camera.
post #6996 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiocardsfan View Post
Here is what mine looks like:

https://imgur.com/a/2S9uz3J

My camera makes it look worst than what it actually looks like. I am not seeing any DSE on my screen like slickman. Maybe a little bit I really have to look for it. I took the pictures with my iPhone and it makes it look works with the camera.
Thanks for that Ohio. Yours look much much better than mine. Mine’s filled with the grid pattern which is annoying me. Hopefully the panel swap will fix mine.
post #6997 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Thanks for that Ohio. Yours look much much better than mine. Mine’s filled with the grid pattern which is annoying me. Hopefully the panel swap will fix mine.

That Grid pattern is the Actual FALD LEDs you are seeing trough your panel I would presume. They have that round structure where the actual LED is located with a square or such around as a diffuser. It's kinda bad that you can see them in actual content.

I had one particular LED flicker on my older Samsung Model when brightness was to low so I caught it from that how they looked and worked. Just a extra click on the backlight fixed the issue and I didn't have the issue again but for you where you can actually see them the whole time I presume the FALD has been pushed too close to the panel or there was a defect in manufacturing making the panel "too thin".

Last edited by Nighthog; 12-08-2019 at 07:35 AM.
post #6998 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the info and yeah, its very distracting. Kinda strange that I never noticed it until I ran the Modernwize test and now I can’t unsee it. Even if you are not looking for it, when it’s appears it’s distracting.
post #6999 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7017 Post(s)
Liked: 7034
Quote:
Thanks for the info and yeah, its very distracting. Kinda strange that I never noticed it until I ran the Modernwize test and now I can’t unsee it. Even if you are not looking for it, when it’s appears it’s distracting.
Yep, better off not testing your set, most sets have flaws, most can not be seen until you start testing
Ted99 likes this.
post #7000 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 08:24 AM

Agreed...ignorance is bliss
residentsystems likes this.
post #7001 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post
Laurie, I have the Q90R TV and Q80R soundbar. With my cable box (with DD audio) and Roku Ultra connected to the OCB, and the TV and Soundbar connected with ARC, I'm getting really bad lip-sync issues (the Samsung forums are filled with reports of the same issue with Xbox, and just about any other external source connected to the OCB).

You have the same TV and the same soundbar (my Q80 doesn't have the rears) as I do. Do you NOT have any lip-sync problems?
Not that is particularly concerning. Don't know if its the set or just my old eyes.
post #7002 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Exclamation Color Uniformity Problems

Hello everyone,

I just received my 65'' Q90r and it's got some major color uniformity issues. I first noticed it while watching a football game. The green of the field is noticeably lighter on the first 3rd of the screen. It's extremely distracting. I then did some solid color tests and here are the results.

I called Samsung and they're apparently sending an authorized repair rep over to take a look. I'm not sure what they can do except replace the unit. For what it's worth, it was manufactured in October 2019.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	green.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	2651002   Click image for larger version

Name:	orange.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	2651004  
post #7003 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkuhl30 View Post
Hello everyone,

I just received my 65'' Q90r and it's got some major color uniformity issues. I first noticed it while watching a football game. The green of the field is noticeably lighter on the first 3rd of the screen. It's extremely distracting. I then did some solid color tests and here are the results.

I called Samsung and they're apparently sending an authorized repair rep over to take a look. I'm not sure what they can do except replace the unit. For what it's worth, it was manufactured in October 2019.

Any ideas?

Yikes, worst colour tint I've seen on any TV/Monitor over the years reported. Probably gonna have the Panel or whole unit replaced.
post #7004 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthog View Post
Yikes, worst colour tint I've seen on any TV/Monitor over the years reported. Probably gonna have the Panel or whole unit replaced.
How do they replace the panel? Are you referring to the entire unit, minus the stand?
post #7005 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
How do they replace the panel? Are you referring to the entire unit, minus the stand?

Some others are probably better informed but I presume the LCD and backlight unit as a whole gets changed. I'm uncertain if the LCD and FALD backlight are separate or 1 unit.

They leave the electronics and chassis as is, I reckon.

I think the way is they do a panel swap in your home as the normal procedure unless the place where you bought your unit will change out your whole unit for another if you had contacted them first.
post #7006 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthog View Post
Some others are probably better informed but I presume the LCD and backlight unit as a whole gets changed. I'm uncertain if the LCD and FALD backlight are separate or 1 unit.

They leave the electronics and chassis as is, I reckon.

I think the way is they do a panel swap in your home as the normal procedure unless the place where you bought your unit will change out your whole unit for another if you had contacted them first.
I had bought it directly from Samsung.
post #7007 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
Didn't see much in the thread about Calman Autocal actual results for SDR calibration. Has anyone used this? Also, the software steps mention CAL-Day/CAL-Night settings will be locked after calibration - can these be reset later (with factory reset)?
I got around to trying Autocal for SDR, and the software bumped up red (and reduced green) a lot during the 20 pt. grayscale for some reason. 2-pt before this step was ok, but this step really increased the dEs and gave a red tint. I used CalNight, and CalDay was locked in addition to CalNight aftwerwards (they are not locked during the session). To reset them, I had to go to the service menu again and set to On from Fix, but this reset Movie mode settings as well.
post #7008 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
I used CalNight, and CalDay was locked in addition to CalNight aftwerwards (they are not locked during the session). To reset them, I had to go to the service menu again and set to On from Fix, but this reset Movie mode settings as well.
You can reset them using the DDC controls in CalMAN, no need to use the service menu.
post #7009 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm in the market to buy the Samsung 75" Q90R for our den. Our previous Samsung plasma tv picture is turning darker and it's time for a new unit.

Any reason why I should not buy this tv from those with previous experience?

Also any suggestions on a where to buy it from a quality seller with good consumer service and at a fair price.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><b>Galaxy Theater</b><br><a href="https://www.avsforum.com/t/1417602/home-theater-pics">www.avsforum.com/t/1417602/home-theater-pics</a></div></div>
post #7010 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Has anyone seen issues like this? In one of these photos (the second attachment), the bright light glare has a weird artifact where the center region inverts the color from blue to red. The boundary of the center region is very abrupt and pixelated, which to me (computer science background) almost looks like an integer overflow wraparound issue of some kind (or one of the color channels saturating before the others).

This is movie mode with ST.2084 setting at 0. When I set it to +1 it looks like the other image I’ve attached, which is much better but still has some weird color banding. Unfortunately, while +1 looks acceptable with this glare effect, the rest of the content looks brighter than it should be, while 0 otherwise looks accurate for the most part aside from the weird glitch with really bright regions like this.

This is from Altered Carbon on Netflix. I’ve tested on my LG B6 and it has no problems at all, regardless of gamma or other settings: it’s better than any setting I seem to be able to achieve on the Q90, since the light glare is a consistent color of blue white throughout without any weird color banding or color changes whatsoever.

I wonder if this could be related to Dolby Vision vs the HDR10 fallback? But that doesn’t explain why ST.2084 +1 seems to improve this issue (though at the expense of making everything else too bright).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7842644C-AA4F-47D3-98F6-3057035DD469_1575852545163.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2651334   Click image for larger version

Name:	3B539B4B-C16E-4202-8567-B7468EC2FACE_1575852916633.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	2651336  

Neumann KH310A | Neumann KH120A | Ascend Sierra Towers & Horizon (RAAL) | Ascend Sierra 2EX | Revel F206 | Rythmik F18 x2 | Rythmik F12 | JL Audio E112 | SMSL M500 | Topping D10 | Sonos Amp | Marantz SR7012

Last edited by echopraxia; 12-08-2019 at 06:18 PM.
post #7011 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by echopraxia View Post
This is from Altered Carbon on Netflix.
Specific episode and timestamp?
post #7012 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
Specific episode and timestamp?
Season 1 Episode 6, 36 minutes and onward there are a lot of instances where you'll see this artifact. I'll try to go back and find the exact timestamp of my photos.

Neumann KH310A | Neumann KH120A | Ascend Sierra Towers & Horizon (RAAL) | Ascend Sierra 2EX | Revel F206 | Rythmik F18 x2 | Rythmik F12 | JL Audio E112 | SMSL M500 | Topping D10 | Sonos Amp | Marantz SR7012
post #7013 of 7408 Old 12-08-2019, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Any ideas?
S
Hi, I had a similar experience where the top 3rd of the screen was a lot darker, they replaced the screen 3 times with the same results before they offered me a new set, my theory was that the ocb cable was faulty or damaged as I must be extremely unlucky to get 3 screens the same
post #7014 of 7408 Old 12-09-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Symes View Post
S
Hi, I had a similar experience where the top 3rd of the screen was a lot darker, they replaced the screen 3 times with the same results before they offered me a new set, my theory was that the ocb cable was faulty or damaged as I must be extremely unlucky to get 3 screens the same
Thanks for your reply. I think it's a defective panel but could be wrong. I guess this is one disadvantage of the one connect box. If there's something wrong with the TV, then the panel needs to be checked, along with the one connect box, and the cable. There are multiple pathways to failure here.

I'm expecting a call from the Samsung service rep today. I'll keep this board informed of the outcome.
post #7015 of 7408 Old 12-09-2019, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Symes View Post
S
Thanks for your reply. I think it's a defective panel but could be wrong. I guess this is one disadvantage of the one connect box. If there's something wrong with the TV, then the panel needs to be checked, along with the one connect box, and the cable. There are multiple pathways to failure here.

I'm expecting a call from the Samsung service rep today. I'll keep this board informed of the outcome.
The pathway is less difficult than if the ocb is within the main display and as such much easier to diagnose and repair without any potentially damaging surgery...
post #7016 of 7408 Old 12-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Liked: 13
Can anyone tell me the length of the one connect cable and power cable for the 82"?
post #7017 of 7408 Old 12-09-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronleaker View Post
Can anyone tell me the length of the one connect cable and power cable for the 82"?

15 feet is standard. There is a longer one available separately.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #7018 of 7408 Old 12-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
15 feet is standard. There is a longer one available separately.
Perfect, thank you! Is the power cord about 6 or so feet?
post #7019 of 7408 Old 12-09-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronleaker View Post
Perfect, thank you! Is the power cord about 6 or so feet?
From the OC box to the wall? I've never measured but its a standard power cable. Figure 5 - 6 feet.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #7020 of 7408 Old 12-09-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxxan View Post
I have the Q90R and Q80 soundbar and I also have major lip sync issues if I connect my Humax and Roku into the OCB.

I have got around it by plugging the Humax into the soundbar and using the built in apps for Netflix, prime and nowtv. Also I have connected the arc out from the soundbar to hdmi 1 on the OCB (not hdmi 3 Arc).

This was the only way I could get them playing nice together.
Sorry to hear from a fellow lip-sync problem sufferer. First, it never occurred to me to connect the ARC on the soundbar to HDMI on the OCB. Are the CEC features working...tv remote powers the soundbar and tv on and off together, tv remote controls soundbar volume?

I have found that connecting my cable box to HDMI 1 on the soundbar, and using ARC to HDMI 3 (ARC) on the OCB, there is no lip-sync problem. However, as soon as I added my Roku Ultra to HDMI 2 on the soundbar, the tv wouldn't recognize both the cable box and Roku. As long as only one source (cable box or Roku) is connected to the soundbar, each one works.

Maybe I'll try your method of using the HDMI 1, and not the ARC input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page