2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 258 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5081Likes

post #7711 of 7778 Old 02-14-2020, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Excellent PQ

Now that I've calibrated the set as much as I'm able (primarily the EOTF curve and white balance) I watched my first UHD BluRay on the set last night (Ad Astra) and I'm super-impressed with the TV.

The outer space scenes are noteworthy: in particular, the black space against the blue-purple rings of Neptune, and the various star field scenes. In a mostly dark room, I couldn't discern any kind of light from the black areas, and yet the stars in the star field were still easily visible. I think this set is the best of both worlds (when properly calibrated and with high quality sources). It has both excellent black levels (rarely distinguishable from an OLED) and also peak white levels that far exceed an OLED (1700+ nits on a 10% window in Movie mode).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7712 of 7778 Old 02-14-2020, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thavngr98 View Post
LOL Ill keep reading. I'm just a worry rat and so far I feel I've read about more bad panels than good. For the amount of money we pay for these high end tv's we shouldn't see so many bad ones.

It has arrived! Ill post pics when done. I have to unmounted 55 install that elsewhere then mount this bad boy. Plus no gap mount hasn't arrived yet.

Dave
Terminader likes this.
post #7713 of 7778 Old 02-14-2020, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Voyager could you please share? I’m having a hard time with colors and HDR lack of pop ... I replaced a 900f 85 that was great with HDR Jaír not seeing it here with the amSammy, I underwhelming so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7714 of 7778 Old 02-14-2020, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anyone have issues on Xbox One X when launching an HDR game? My screen gets really washed out, but it gets fixed if I go to the dashboard then back to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7715 of 7778 Old 02-14-2020, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone seen an issue where hdr movies will randomly get darker for a little while?

I was watching Ford vs Ferrari through the apple built in app and this happened. I've seen it with other movies and services like Netflix.

At first I thought it was just the hdr encoding but when I paused it and rewound to the same spot the brightness remained correct so it didn't seem related to that. Just happens at random.
post #7716 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
Voyager could you please share? I’m having a hard time with colors and HDR lack of pop ... I replaced a 900f 85 that was great with HDR Jaír not seeing it here with the amSammy, I underwhelming so far

If it’s with an external source make sure you have Input Signal Plus selected for it. Otherwise the HDR signal is ignored. It’s in External device manager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #7717 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No Gap Wall Mount Question

I recently mounted a 65 inch Q90 with the Samsung no gap wall mount and the top of the TV is tilted out (see pictures). I did not use any of the spacers, and I cant figure out what to do with the magnets. The bottom of the TV has zero gap against the wall, but the top tilts out. I tried pushing on the TV to make sure the tilt was retracted, and I think its as far as it goes. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2685242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2685244  
post #7718 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post
Has anyone seen an issue where hdr movies will randomly get darker for a little while?

I was watching Ford vs Ferrari through the apple built in app and this happened. I've seen it with other movies and services like Netflix.

At first I thought it was just the hdr encoding but when I paused it and rewound to the same spot the brightness remained correct so it didn't seem related to that. Just happens at random.
I have the same problem. It's rather annoying.
post #7719 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Same problem here
post #7720 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m so close of returning the 82 for the lack of HDR highlights pop and getting the 950g that I know HDR shines on but I would be dealing with blooming a little more and I’m ok with it. I’ve got everything on high for HDR
post #7721 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I’m so close of returning the 82 for the lack of HDR highlights pop and getting the 950g that I know HDR shines on but I would be dealing with blooming a little more and I’m ok with it. I’ve got everything on high for HDR

You are either doing something wrong in your settings or you got a bum Tv. My 75” has plenty of pop in Movie mode both before and after calibration.

Like I asked you before about HDR, if you’re using an external source do you have Input Signal Plus enabled? If it’s an internal app, have you tried an external source?

post #7722 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:

I’ve noticed other minor anomalies in HDR when using external apps like Netflix, but the majority of anomalies are with SDR. They’re annoying, but not overly so.

When using Plex on either Apple TV or Shield Pro and streaming HDR, I see none of the anomalies I’ve seen on other streaming apps. Of course in Plex my files are 100% rips so zero compression is coming into play. I have no idea what the services are doing to the content they stream, but obviously something!

post #7723 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks jman! Yea, I’ve turned in all HDMIs and my source is an Oppo 205 to a Marantz 8012 . I’ll keep tweaking with it.
post #7724 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7140 Post(s)
Liked: 7181
post #7725 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Global dimming. It's one of the things Samsung TVs do as a means of hiding or disguising blooming and clouding. And of course as long as you aren't bothered by the fact that your movie's brightness is being constantly tweaked by the TV to something that the movie's creators never intended, certainly, it does what it's intended to, even if it also sacrifices visibility. Personally, I turned that "feature" right the heck off after making it partway into Ad Astra and seeing this happen:

I mean, the choice was literally between being able to tell what the hell's going on, and not. It was easy.
post #7726 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Where in the menu do you turn this off? I thought it was ECO that we had to turn off?
post #7727 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm curious how to turn that off as well.

What's odd to me is that the same scene viewed twice doesn't do it. In Ford vs Ferrari I had a part where it just went into the darker, globally dimmed mode. It stayed that way for a good bit across several shots (10 to 15 seconds or so).

I paused and rewound to the same section and it didn't do it the second time. Wouldn't it be doing it reliably?
post #7728 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager6868 View Post
I recently spent some more time calibrating the HDR mode on the TV. I was able to adjust the Contrast down to 40 (on an 82" model) and get a decent EOTF curve, where most values up to about 80% follow the proper curve quite well. I did the 2-point calibration, and all the grey values deviate from at most 1.5 dE.

I do find that calibrating the set with Local Dimming High is quite challenging. I'm using these test patterns: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...rns-set-8.html with HCFR. At the start of each new grey level, there is text at the bottom of the 10% rectangle. If I calibrate with this text on the screen, the grey value is noticeably different, due to the high local dimming setting. This is brought to an extreme level if I bring up any menus while calibrating (for example, to adjust the white balance). So, I need to make a good guess, exit the menu, and then see what the colorimeter reports, which is a
Which meter are you using?
post #7729 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazerGreen View Post
The thing is though, regardless of what anyone thinks of Quantum (I don't watch him; just came across his Q90R video while trying to troubleshoot my blooming problem) his criticism of the Q90R is justified and I can verify everything he mentions in the linked video to be true. No amount of panel lottery luck will change the fact that there are significant flaws with the Q90R and local dimming in general. Game Mode local dimming and backlight performance is really subpar for a flagship TV released in 2019. There's crushed blacks, some of the worst dirty screen effect I've ever seen, and also some of the worst backlight bloom/bleed I've ever seen. I genuinely just cannot believe Samsung engineers actually let the DSE and bloom pass Q&A; it'a all just really disappointing from Samsung.
well you made an oled propaganda post before already so i doubt u even own the q90r. i can not confirm any of ur things, no bleed at all, almost 0 bloom, awesome blacks, less black crush than on oled. With a small indirect light behind the tv its like oled just with betzer brightness and vette usability while day. if u watch in a complete dark room with black walls, well what do u want with fald technology then?

everything else is just dumb bashing and oled fanboy talk.

the dimming in gamemode is worse a bit and u have to adjust the settings (even better directly calibrate it) to get this good performance. but seriously, who pays that much for a tv usually knows how to open the settings as well 😉
post #7730 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Where in the menu do you turn this off? I thought it was ECO that we had to turn off?

This may be it. You need an older remote though. I may try this with my Harmony One that has a number pad. Although I haven’t seen the issue so I’m wondering if my calibrater guy did this when he enabled day and night modes. Hmmm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater...al_dimming_on/

post #7731 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Good news!

I had all but ruled this out until today, but Vincent Teoh of HDTVTest has confirmed in his latest video that Samsung is indeed still working on and planning an eARC update for the Q90r. The Samsung rep in the video says that they ran into some issues leading to unexpected delays, but reiterated that it’s still on the agenda and a priority for them.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #7732 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Thanks jman! Yea, I’ve turned in all HDMIs and my source is an Oppo 205 to a Marantz 8012 . I’ll keep tweaking with it.
Have you confirmed via the Q90R's info bar that it's actually in HDR mode? What settings are you using?
post #7733 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Info bar? How do I get there? HDR goes to LD on high and I have contrast to low.
post #7734 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Info bar? How do I get there? HDR goes to LD on high and I have contrast to low.
While actively viewing something that should be in HDR, reselect the HDMI input again, and an info bar should pop up across the top. On the right hand side it should show 3840x2160/XXp Input Signal Plus and HDR and UHD icons below that. If you don't see the HDR icon then something's wrong. If you do see the HDR icon, then bring up the Settings menu while viewing, what do you have for Picture Mode, and under Expert Settings what do you have for Backlight, Brightness, and Contrast.
post #7735 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmino View Post
Quote:
Global dimming. It's one of the things Samsung TVs do as a means of hiding or disguising blooming and clouding. And of course as long as you aren't bothered by the fact that your movie's brightness is being constantly tweaked by the TV to something that the movie's creators never intended, certainly, it does what it's intended to, even if it also sacrifices visibility. Personally, I turned that "feature" right the heck off after making it partway into Ad Astra and seeing this happen:

I mean, the choice was literally between being able to tell what the hell's going on, and not. It was easy.

I have watched this on my 75 and had no such issues. It's your set or your settings
post #7736 of 7778 Old 02-15-2020, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea sorry but I must have a bad set because hdr on this set is average, after having the 900f 85 for about a month hdr on my q90r and hdr brightens is very average, yes I have local dimming on high and contrast on max but still no pop in hdr highlights, I’ve watched a number of movies that in familiar with and the Sony’s in general are GREAT for HDR .... but suck with blooming. I’ll give it another week see what happens!!!
post #7737 of 7778 Old 02-16-2020, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm curious how to turn that off as well.
Has to be done from the service menu, which requires a remote with buttons that the standard Samsung remote lacks. (It's inexpensive, though.) Caution: Modifying things in service mode seems to be frowned upon by some folks in this forum. I've even seen one fellow take it as their cue to beg out of a potentially fruitful technical conversation.

Quote:
What's odd to me is that the same scene viewed twice doesn't do it. In Ford vs Ferrari I had a part where it just went into the darker, globally dimmed mode. It stayed that way for a good bit across several shots (10 to 15 seconds or so).
It's not instantaneous; it's dynamic, sometimes taking seconds, sometimes taking a split second. It's clear the intent was to achieve the result as subtly as possible since most people are going to be aware that the way their movies keep dimming and brightening is not how it's supposed to be.

You're seeing one of two manifestations of the issue. The other one is the flipside: Often when watching something dark with subtitles or captions, the entire image will visibly brighten whenever the words are on-screen. Here for example:

99% of users never complain about these issues. For the rest, it's often enough to boycott the brand. These are statistics that Samsung seems content with. Perhaps more alarmingly, Samsung has started sneaking in other non-defeatable "features" such as overblown brightness that results in wrong colors, which HDTVTest revealed a short while back. If nobody calls Samsung out on that, it'll probably become part of the standard package as well.

Turning off global dimming doesn't solve everything, as I exhaustively elaborated a while back in this thread.

Last edited by Colmino; 02-16-2020 at 02:29 AM.
post #7738 of 7778 Old 02-16-2020, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's not the ECO setting. That's a convenient red herring you see brought up a lot whenever people grasp for solutions to this issue. Somebody suggests turning it off, and when that doesn't solve the problem, they turn around and suggest the TV may be defective, or that there's some unspecified—and by extension unique to one's TV—setting that they must have tweaked to give the result they're trying to solve alongside other disgruntled users. Ditto for local dimming, which is not the culprit.

Last edited by Colmino; 02-16-2020 at 02:33 AM.
post #7739 of 7778 Old 02-16-2020, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0305 View Post
I have watched this on my 75 and had no such issues. It's your set or your settings
Correct. In the bottom video, I was making the mistake of permitting global dimming.
post #7740 of 7778 Old 02-16-2020, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmino View Post
Correct. In the bottom video, I was making the mistake of permitting global dimming.
"global" dimming, is that the Ambient Light Detection or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page