2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 283 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5438Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8461 of 8777 Old 05-04-2020, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brazen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 380
What is this setting for?

Support/Self Diagnosis/Signal Information/Signal History/HDMI Delay Level - Choices are Basic, Slow 1 and Slow 2. Basic being default.

TIA.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3,5&6 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
Samsung 82" Q90R / Denon S720W
brazen1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8462 of 8777 Old 05-04-2020, 01:06 PM
Member
 
moodysj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by taphil View Post
HDMI ARC audio works fine with my Denon X4500 and the TV's built-in apps. The TV powers on/off the receiver when the TV powers on/off, and TV remote controls receiver volume. One of the TV's menus, using the TV remove, can also be used to change the input on the receiver.
The original issue is specifically with content with Dolby Digital Plus audio over HDMI ARC, especially using the built-in Netflix app

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
moodysj is online now  
post #8463 of 8777 Old 05-04-2020, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
What is this setting for?

Support/Self Diagnosis/Signal Information/Signal History/HDMI Delay Level - Choices are Basic, Slow 1 and Slow 2. Basic being default.
Basic: This is the default setting for normal operation.
Slow 1: This adds a slight delay before determining that the HDMI cable is not sending a signal.
Slow 2: This adds a significant delay.
Setting this option to Slow 1 or Slow 2 will improve signal quality from a poor HDMI cable, however a side effect is that this delay will also occur when changing the source.
Rudy1 and brazen1 like this.
thoth is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8464 of 8777 Old 05-05-2020, 05:27 AM
Senior Member
 
pabuwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Good news! Samsung promised the long awaited eARC update for the Q90R soundbar and TV in May. They delivered on the soundbar yesterday. Hopefully, the TV update is coming shortly.
Rudy1, StevieG, ionblue and 6 others like this.
pabuwal is online now  
post #8465 of 8777 Old 05-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HI,

Could someone confirm for me if this TV has HDMI 2.1?
I'm looking into upgrading my Q9FN to a new tv, for my game room however I want to make sure its suited for the new XboX Series X

Otherwise I might need to look into the Q90T but it's kinda out of my budget seeing it's 600 euro more
And otherwise maybe a LG C9,
Skorpos is offline  
post #8466 of 8777 Old 05-05-2020, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
egrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpos View Post
HI,

Could someone confirm for me if this TV has HDMI 2.1?
I'm looking into upgrading my Q9FN to a new tv, for my game room however I want to make sure its suited for the new XboX Series X

Otherwise I might need to look into the Q90T but it's kinda out of my budget seeing it's 600 euro more
And otherwise maybe a LG C9,
Do your homework before you ask questions like this. Of course it doesn't have HDMI 2.1.
Terminader and raf77 like this.
egrady is online now  
post #8467 of 8777 Old 05-05-2020, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
voyager6868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
Do your homework before you ask questions like this. Of course it doesn't have HDMI 2.1.
Is there certainty that port 4 is not HDMI 2.1 (either currently, or capable after a firmware update)? I thought the box was the same as for the 2019 8K model.

What is certain is that right now we have no evidence that it will support HDMI 2.1 (i.e., [email protected] at better than 4:2:0 SDR).
Nillaz likes this.
voyager6868 is offline  
post #8468 of 8777 Old 05-06-2020, 01:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
Do your homework before you ask questions like this. Of course it doesn't have HDMI 2.1.
I did, and some say it does have HDMI 2.1 on port 4 and others don't.
So was hoping seeing the forum normally has valid information someone could enlighten me on this case
Skorpos is offline  
post #8469 of 8777 Old 05-07-2020, 10:06 AM
Member
 
jmbgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabuwal View Post
Good news! Samsung promised the long awaited eARC update for the Q90R soundbar and TV in May. They delivered on the soundbar yesterday. Hopefully, the TV update is coming shortly.
We can only hope!

Main Room: 65'' Samsung Q90R; AVR: Denon AVR X-4500H; AMP: Monolith 3-Channel Amp; Center Channel: KEF R2C; L/R Channels: KEF R3; Atmos: KEF R8A; LFE: SVS-PB3000; UHD Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic UB-820; Gaming: PS4 Pro; Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K Secondary Room: 65'' Samsung KS8000; AVR: Denon AVR S-720W; Center Channel: Polk Signature S-35; L/R Channels: Polk Signature S-20; UHD Blu-Ray Player: Sony UBP-X800
jmbgator is offline  
post #8470 of 8777 Old 05-07-2020, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Loren Kruse.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: West Texas
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpos View Post
I did, and some say it does have HDMI 2.1 on port 4 and others don't.
So was hoping seeing the forum normally has valid information someone could enlighten me on this case


Attached screen shot you will see the HDMI 2.1 sub features supported. Hopefully eARC will be added soon.

Here is a link to the article detailing more about the features: https://www.cepro.com/news/samsung_h..._8k_tv_lineup/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SamsungHDMIchart_slide2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	2722644  
Rudy1, StevieG and Terminader like this.
Loren Kruse. is offline  
post #8471 of 8777 Old 05-07-2020, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
voyager6868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Kruse. View Post
Attached screen shot you will see the HDMI 2.1 sub features supported. Hopefully eARC will be added soon.

Here is a link to the article detailing more about the features: https://www.cepro.com/news/samsung_h..._8k_tv_lineup/
Thanks for sharing. For me, the biggest unknowns are

1) Will the Q90R support HDR at [email protected] (right now only SDR 4:2:0 works, AFAIK)
2) Will it support greater than 60Hz for VRR at 4K?

Feels like we need additional terminology, if simply supporting one HDMI 2.1 feature allows marketing as "HDMI 2.1".
voyager6868 is offline  
post #8472 of 8777 Old 05-07-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 26,391
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7622 Post(s)
Liked: 7694
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #8473 of 8777 Old 05-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Member
 
scorpioboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi Guys, Any thoughts on Dolby Atmos with built in apps - Netflix and Prime video. Using 82” Q90 with Q90R sound bar and Atmos is hit & miss. It started working couple weeks ago and then again stopped. Both Tv and Soundbar running latest firmware, tried factory reset as well. Replaced HDMI cable as well with Monoprice Premium .

Anything I am missing?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scorpioboy is offline  
post #8474 of 8777 Old 05-09-2020, 06:12 AM
Senior Member
 
pabuwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioboy View Post
Hi Guys, Any thoughts on Dolby Atmos with built in apps - Netflix and Prime video. Using 82” Q90 with Q90R sound bar and Atmos is hit & miss. It started working couple weeks ago and then again stopped. Both Tv and Soundbar running latest firmware, tried factory reset as well. Replaced HDMI cable as well with Monoprice Premium .

Anything I am missing?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I tried Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime and it shows Atmos on the soundbar.
pabuwal is online now  
post #8475 of 8777 Old 05-09-2020, 07:11 AM
Member
 
scorpioboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabuwal View Post
I tried Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime and it shows Atmos on the soundbar.
Thank you pabuwal for checking!

I just tried Jack Ryan again as well but no Atmos.....not sure what I am doing wrong. Which season/episode you getting Atmos on?
scorpioboy is offline  
post #8476 of 8777 Old 05-09-2020, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioboy View Post
I just tried Jack Ryan again as well but no Atmos.....not sure what I am doing wrong.
You have both Dolby Digital+ and Dolby Atmos Compatibility selected on the TV?
thoth is online now  
post #8477 of 8777 Old 05-10-2020, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
llep64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Having problems dialing in the colors in my 82 , had a Sony 950g before and the colors were great!! But local dimming was HORRIBLE!!
I get a reddish and green tint all the time specially on HDR... any advice?
llep64 is offline  
post #8478 of 8777 Old 05-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My advise: get rid of the Samsung product. I have had three of them, one after the other, and they have all had panel issues. Abandon Samsung and Sony products and get something else. Its beem one lousy experience after another with these products, and I suggest you opt for something more reliable, because this is not it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
ryan.carlson82 is online now  
post #8479 of 8777 Old 05-10-2020, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
chef jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Larkspur, CO
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
Having problems dialing in the colors in my 82 , had a Sony 950g before and the colors were great!! But local dimming was HORRIBLE!!
I get a reddish and green tint all the time specially on HDR... any advice?
Give the rtings.com settings a try. I've been pretty happy with them and seem to work pretty well short of a calibration.
Terminader likes this.

Samsung 82Q90 - Marantz 7011 - Sierra 2 (L/C/R) Luna (SR) - HSU VTF-15H MK2
LG65E9 - Denon 3500x - Sierra 2
LG65B6
Samsung 64F8500
chef jer is offline  
post #8480 of 8777 Old 05-10-2020, 06:34 PM
Member
 
scorpioboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
You have both Dolby Digital+ and Dolby Atmos Compatibility selected on the TV?

Yes I have both


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scorpioboy is offline  
post #8481 of 8777 Old 05-10-2020, 07:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.carlson82 View Post
Abandon Samsung and Sony products and get something else.
I suggest you opt for something more reliable.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

What would you suggest?
I have read bad things about TCL,Hisense,LG and Vizio too.
After awhile you are going to run out of manufactures.
Terminader likes this.
ghonk is offline  
post #8482 of 8777 Old 05-10-2020, 09:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghonk View Post
What would you suggest?

I have read bad things about TCL,Hisense,LG and Vizio too.

After awhile you are going to run out of manufactures.
I am sure they do, but then I will not have over $3000 into it, and if it goes out on me, and I can not get any customer service, I am not out nearly as much, and I can get rid of it, and buy another one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
ryan.carlson82 is online now  
post #8483 of 8777 Old 05-11-2020, 12:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Anyone else have their 75 inch tv hung on the wall using the Samsung no wall gap mount,? I feel like mine isn’t flush to the wall like they claim it should be. There is a Little gap at the top. It’s not completely flush to the wall.
mikefan10 is offline  
post #8484 of 8777 Old 05-11-2020, 04:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Synomenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Desert Southwest
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefan10 View Post
Anyone else have their 75 inch tv hung on the wall using the Samsung no wall gap mount,? I feel like mine isn’️t flush to the wall like they claim it should be. There is a Little gap at the top. It’️s not completely flush to the wall.
It could be that your wall isn't completely flat. I found this in my case when I mounted my TV then also put up a wall mounted TV stand beneath my TV.
Synomenon is offline  
post #8485 of 8777 Old 05-11-2020, 11:10 AM
Member
 
wonkypanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefan10 View Post
Anyone else have their 75 inch tv hung on the wall using the Samsung no wall gap mount,? I feel like mine isn’t flush to the wall like they claim it should be. There is a Little gap at the top. It’s not completely flush to the wall.
Is your TV making contact with the upper-mounted magnets? That's the key to having the tv's upper portion sit flush or else it'll tip a little forward. For me, I didn't mind the slight tip forward due to that pivoting a better angle to the couch.
wonkypanda is offline  
post #8486 of 8777 Old 05-13-2020, 05:19 AM
Member
 
StevieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 104
EARC info

in this podcast video from Monday, at 1:21:10, a Samsung rep confirms EARC update is on the way for the Q90R soon. Fingers crossed!
StevieG is offline  
post #8487 of 8777 Old 05-13-2020, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tidwelr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I’m considering this tv now that E-arc seems to be confirmed for this set. I was originally going to wait for some of the newer sets with full 2.1 to come out but I’m re-considering that since this set has VRR and ALL for gaming already and e-arc on the way. I’ve read that Samsung turns the local dimming off in game mode so the contrast isn’t great. Is this true? I have a Sony 900e and the contrast is great but the input lag has always been too high.

What are the pros and cons for this set compared to what available today? Pricing looks attractive on a 75”.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tidwelr1 is offline  
post #8488 of 8777 Old 05-13-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
I’m considering this tv now that E-arc seems to be confirmed for this set. I was originally going to wait for some of the newer sets with full 2.1 to come out but I’m re-considering that since this set has VRR and ALL for gaming already and e-arc on the way. I’ve read that Samsung turns the local dimming off in game mode so the contrast isn’t great. Is this true? I have a Sony 900e and the contrast is great but the input lag has always been too high.

What are the pros and cons for this set compared to what available today? Pricing looks attractive on a 75”.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never buy a TV for what it may do tomorrow. Buy it for what it definitely does today.


Local dimming isn't disabled, but it's not as effective as it is in other modes. I think the contrast is acceptable, though there are others in the thread who have definitely been disappointed. The input lag is excellent however.


The Q90R isn't full HDMI 2.1, so be aware. It does support ALLM but it's VRR range is limited. It's support for the next gen consoles is also limited to 4K/60.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless) / QNAP TVS-873 / Harmony Elite
Nillaz is offline  
post #8489 of 8777 Old 05-13-2020, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tidwelr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 201
2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
Never buy a TV for what it may do tomorrow. Buy it for what it definitely does today.


Local dimming isn't disabled, but it's not as effective as it is in other modes. I think the contrast is acceptable, though there are others in the thread who have definitely been disappointed. The input lag is excellent however.


The Q90R isn't full HDMI 2.1, so be aware. It does support ALLM but it's VRR range is limited. It's support for the next gen consoles is also limited to 4K/60.

Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I know the Q90R looks great in terms of contrast as I’ve seen it in Best Buy. The Q80R looked really good as well. I thought I had seen a FOMO video discuss that Samsung tvs have been 120hz for gaming and that hisense was limited to 60hz and to be aware of that difference when comparing different tvs. What do you mean by the VRR is limited?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by tidwelr1; 05-13-2020 at 05:38 PM.
tidwelr1 is offline  
post #8490 of 8777 Old 05-13-2020, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I know the Q90R looks great in terms of contrast as I’ve seen it in Best Buy. The Q80R looked really good as well. I thought I had seen a FOMO video discuss that Samsung tvs have been 120hz for gaming and that hisense was limited to 60hz and to be aware of that difference when comparing different tvs. What do you mean by the VRR is limited?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The One Connect box on the Q90R is HDMI 2.0b and thus 4K/60. The exception to this is that port 4 can display 4K/120 from a PC using a CTA-861 resolution option if you are willing to accept 8 bit 4:2:0 chroma and SDR only (this falls just under the 18Gbps threshold). As far as consoles are concerned the only way to achieve 120Hz is to drop resolution to 1440p or lower.


Because it's not HDMI 2.1 VRR on the Q90R has a limited range to work within. I believe it is 48 - 60Hz. It is also only Freesync that is supported. GSync is a total no go for Nvidia users.
raf77 likes this.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless) / QNAP TVS-873 / Harmony Elite
Nillaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off