2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 290 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5421Likes

post #8671 of 8728 Old 06-28-2020, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I love experimenting with new units. I recently bought the Bose Soundbar 700 with the bass and surround and put it against the Samsung Q90r with its Atmos and 7.1.4 set-up.

It helped me notice that even thou the Bose is more expensive, the Samsung is just as good and if you feed it Atmos its amazing.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8672 of 8728 Old 06-28-2020, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximTre View Post
For those interested, I found out the panel accepts a 4k 120hz and HDR signal (4:2:0 chroma)

I used a pc with a Vega graphics card (this one https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/cons...vega56-8g-hbm2) and while it's true HDR can't be enabled in the control panel, when a full screen game (not windowed full screen) has an HDR switch, HDR can be turned on and works just fine.

That means no HDR in Windows Store games (they are windowed), but other games will work (theoretically, the graphic card isn't powerful enough. I really had to lower rendering quality to get 120fps in RE2).

If you want to test it by yourself, don't forget to disable freesync in the TV game mode setting, it's not supported at this point and it will lead to screen corruption (leave game mode on, just disable freesync).

Can't wait for HDMI 2.1 cards to come out to fully test HDMI 4 port.

I have a 2080ti and when i set it to [email protected] only 8bit can be selected there is no 10bit to make hdr work.

Tried Destiny 2 which is a full screen game and hdr didn't work at [email protected] the colors are broken.

Not sure how you got it to work.
post #8673 of 8728 Old 06-30-2020, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrycrabb View Post
I have a 2080ti and when i set it to [email protected] only 8bit can be selected there is no 10bit to make hdr work.

Tried Destiny 2 which is a full screen game and hdr didn't work at [email protected] the colors are broken.

Not sure how you got it to work.
It works here, [email protected], both SDR and HDR.
Did you forget to disable freesync in the TV (not PC) menu?
That's all I did

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8674 of 8728 Old 06-30-2020, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 4
So I just had a Samsung tech out to see what was wrong with my 82” Q90R... I’ve been getting a black flash on the extreme left hand side of the screen at random intervals.
The first thing he said when he walked in was that the one connect cable can not be in the wall. It will void my warranty. What the heck?? I asked him if it says anything about that in the manual and he said he didn’t know and I would need to ask Samsung. He’s the tech Samsung sent out but is a contractor.
Anyway he replaced both the one connect box and cable and it didn’t change anything. Still get the black flash...
He just left saying he’ll order the part and be back next week. When I asked him what part he named about 3 different ones. Sounds to me like he isn’t sure.
My return window at Best Buy ended on May 31st. Very annoyed that a high end tv needs to have a wire hanging down from the wall mounted set.
Anyone aware of the “need” to have the one connect cable stay on the outside of the wall?
post #8675 of 8728 Old 06-30-2020, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Guy View Post
So I just had a Samsung tech out to see what was wrong with my 82” Q90R... I’ve been getting a black flash on the extreme left hand side of the screen at random intervals.

The first thing he said when he walked in was that the one connect cable can not be in the wall. It will void my warranty. What the heck?? I asked him if it says anything about that in the manual and he said he didn’t know and I would need to ask Samsung. He’s the tech Samsung sent out but is a contractor.

Anyway he replaced both the one connect box and cable and it didn’t change anything. Still get the black flash...

He just left saying he’ll order the part and be back next week. When I asked him what part he named about 3 different ones. Sounds to me like he isn’t sure.

My return window at Best Buy ended on May 31st. Very annoyed that a high end tv needs to have a wire hanging down from the wall mounted set.

Anyone aware of the “need” to have the one connect cable stay on the outside of the wall?
The OC cable is not in wall rated and thus not up to snuff for such use.
Rudy1 likes this.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless) / QNAP TVS-873 / Harmony Elite
post #8676 of 8728 Old 06-30-2020, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDMI ARC has stopped working!

After working fine since I bought the TV, and with me making no changes to anything, today HDMI ARC audio is not working.

Usually when selecting a source app on the TV (Netflix, Prime, whatever), the receiver will automatically switch to the ARC input and there's audio from the receiver.

Today when doing the same, a) the receiver does not switch, and b) if I manually select the ARC input on the receiver, there's no audio (nor from the internal speakers in the TV, so it must "think" it's sending ARC audio).

I wonder if the TV did a s/w update overnight which has screwed ARC.

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?
post #8677 of 8728 Old 06-30-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitheva View Post
HDMI ARC has stopped working!

After working fine since I bought the TV, and with me making no changes to anything, today HDMI ARC audio is not working.

Usually when selecting a source app on the TV (Netflix, Prime, whatever), the receiver will automatically switch to the ARC input and there's audio from the receiver.

Today when doing the same, a) the receiver does not switch, and b) if I manually select the ARC input on the receiver, there's no audio (nor from the internal speakers in the TV, so it must "think" it's sending ARC audio).

I wonder if the TV did a s/w update overnight which has screwed ARC.

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?
Taking a stab at answering my own question here - perhaps I'm seeing an eARC/ARC back compatibility issue (I'm using an older Yamaha RX-A3030 receiver which is HDMI 1.4a compliant I believe).

Has the Q90R just received an eARC upgrade?
post #8678 of 8728 Old 06-30-2020, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Has the Q90R just received an eARC upgrade?
What's your firmware version? If it's 1356 or earlier, then no.
post #8679 of 8728 Old 06-30-2020, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would assume it's just ARC being ARC. If it was me I'd yoink the power on the receiver and the TV for a couple minutes and see if that resolves the issue.
Rudy1 likes this.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless) / QNAP TVS-873 / Harmony Elite
post #8680 of 8728 Old 06-30-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
What's your firmware version? If it's 1356 or earlier, then no.

So that rules that out.

Thanks.
post #8681 of 8728 Old 07-01-2020, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7615 Post(s)
Liked: 7681
Quote:
So that rules that out.
This eARC stuff is crazy, it not just this TV or receiver, thats for sure. How can it just stop working, unless a part went bad.
post #8682 of 8728 Old 07-01-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
I would assume it's just ARC being ARC. If it was me I'd yoink the power on the receiver and the TV for a couple minutes and see if that resolves the issue.
I guess this is what it was, ARC being ARC, apparently.

I unplugged things, pulled cables out, put cables back in, started devices up in a different order, etc, etc - and somewhere along the way it magically started working again.

Puzzling since it had been fine for months. We'll see how long it lasts this time!
Nillaz likes this.
post #8683 of 8728 Old 07-01-2020, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess this is what it was, ARC being ARC, apparently.

I unplugged things, pulled cables out, put cables back in, started devices up in a different order, etc, etc - and somewhere along the way it magically started working again.

Puzzling since it had been fine for months. We'll see how long it lasts this time!

This isn't the first time I've seen this happen on any number of tv/audio system combos, and it probably won't be the last. It's part of the reason that I really dislike ARC technology, but it is what it is. Someone once described to me what is actually happening but I don't have enough of a grasp of how ARC and CEC work at a fundamental level to explain it competently.

I wouldn't stress about it overmuch however. It might be months (if ever) before this happens again, and if it does the remedy will be exactly the same.

Anyway I'm glad this got you back up and running again!

post #8684 of 8728 Old 07-01-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
This isn't the first time I've seen this happen on any number of tv/audio system combos, and it probably won't be the last. It's part of the reason that I really dislike ARC technology, but it is what it is. Someone once described to me what is actually happening but I don't have enough of a grasp of how ARC and CEC work at a fundamental level to explain it competently.

I wouldn't stress about it overmuch however. It might be months (if ever) before this happens again, and if it does the remedy will be exactly the same.

Anyway I'm glad this got you back up and running again!
Thanks!

I'll be hooking-up an optical connection between the TV and receiver too, so that I have an immediate workaround (other than TV speakers) should it happen again!
post #8685 of 8728 Old 07-01-2020, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Just got my 65" Q90R and wonder if someone can help me. I stream a lot of foreign TV shows from Britbox and MHz. My last TV was a 55" JS8500. The shows played fine on JS8500, but not so well on the Q90R. What I'm seeing are probably motion issues. The video looks fine except at irregular intervals something will happen that looks odd. For example, it will skip a frame or there will be a blurry frame. By irregular intervals, I mean sometime several minutes between events, and other times it will happen a few times a minute. This is not the effect I see when panning horizontally nor is it related to fast motion. I have seen it closeups when someone is simply nodding their head while talking.

I am streaming from a 2017 Nvidia Shield and I never saw this happen on my previous TV.

So far I've tried turning off as well as various values for the Blur and Judder Reduction as well as completely turning off Auto Motion Plus.

Note that I have first noticed this in old British, French, and Italian TV shows that were broadcast in either PAL or SECAM. It I look really carefully I think I see it in 1080i & 720P movies on my DVR, but that could just be poor broadcasts.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
post #8686 of 8728 Old 07-01-2020, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Just got my 65" Q90R and wonder if someone can help me. I stream a lot of foreign TV shows from Britbox and MHz. My last TV was a 55" JS8500. The shows played fine on JS8500, but not so well on the Q90R. What I'm seeing are probably motion issues. The video looks fine except at irregular intervals something will happen that looks odd. For example, it will skip a frame or there will be a blurry frame. By irregular intervals, I mean sometime several minutes between events, and other times it will happen a few times a minute. This is not the effect I see when panning horizontally nor is it related to fast motion. I have seen it closeups when someone is simply nodding their head while talking.

I am streaming from a 2017 Nvidia Shield and I never saw this happen on my previous TV.

So far I've tried turning off as well as various values for the Blur and Judder Reduction as well as completely turning off Auto Motion Plus.

Note that I have first noticed this in old British, French, and Italian TV shows that were broadcast in either PAL or SECAM. It I look really carefully I think I see it in 1080i & 720P movies on my DVR, but that could just be poor broadcasts.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

By any chance are you using the refresh rate app on your Nvidia Shield?

post #8687 of 8728 Old 07-01-2020, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
By any chance are you using the refresh rate app on your Nvidia Shield?
I don't know what that is, so if it was something I needed to install, I suspect not. I will investigate just to make sure.
Thanks for the suggestion.
post #8688 of 8728 Old 07-01-2020, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I don't know what that is, so if it was something I needed to install, I suspect not. I will investigate just to make sure.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't know if this is what you're experiencing, but if you have a framerate mismatch between the content you are watching and the Shield's output you will occasionally drop frames. The refresh rate app is an unofficial app that forces the Shield to output at the content's framerate. A few apps (Kodi and possibly Plex) have this functionality built in, but most will rely on whatever you have the output on your Shield set to. I use this on all of my Shields (lots of Shield owners use this app) and I haven't noticed a dropped frame in a long time.

The downside is that you will get a black screen for a second or two each time you switch to a different framerate since the TV has to resync, and there is some basic configuration involved. It only takes a few minutes to do and I'm sure there are some Youtube videos that could walk you through it. You can also get far more information on this in the Shield threads in the Networking/Media Server section. From what I understand this functionality is being built into the next version of Android but for now this is what we have to work with.

post #8689 of 8728 Old 07-01-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know if this is what you're experiencing, but if you have a framerate mismatch between the content you are watching and the Shield's output you will occasionally drop frames. ...

Great info. Thank you! I will try tonight.
post #8690 of 8728 Old 07-01-2020, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesteaux View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
I get the same "half the time the picture is washed out with an HDR game" issue! I didn't realize that ALLM was connected to it. I don't really use ALLM because I only use my Xbox for gaming. I'll turn it off and see if that fixes it!

I do use VRR, though, and it's pretty effective, particularly with Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

I don’️t think ALLM is what is causing the washed out picture. It’️s VRR. I turned off ALLM and it still does it with only VRR enabled. Can you confirm the same? Nobody else replied with the same issue. I don’️t play many games but the weird part is that it mostly happens when I play modern warfare or rocket league. It has never happened when playing other HDR games such as Star Wars battlefront 2 or Jedi fallen order. I wonder if some games just can’️t handle VRR well enough and makes it bug out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I figured out a faster way to fix the HDR issue with Modern Warfare. Just switch to a TV app and then back to the Xbox input. Voila, the HDR is fixed!
Terminader likes this.
post #8691 of 8728 Old 07-01-2020, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
I figured out a faster way to fix the HDR issue with Modern Warfare. Just switch to a TV app and then back to the Xbox input. Voila, the HDR is fixed!

I’ve been playing with the settings and disabled ALLM on the Xbox and set game mode to “On” instead of “Auto” and it hasn’t been messing up as much. It’s still a big inconvenience. I know the workaround but sometimes when other family members game on my tv I have to make sure it doesn’t mess up for them because they wouldn’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8692 of 8728 Old 07-01-2020, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Firmware version 1361.0 just came out on the Korean support site. I just installed it, but I don't have a way to test eArc with my setup.

https://www.samsung.com/sec/support/...QN65Q90RAFXKR/
post #8693 of 8728 Old 07-02-2020, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowlaw View Post
Firmware version 1361.0 just came out on the Korean support site. I just installed it, but I don't have a way to test eArc with my setup.

Is there a new setting "pass through" or similar in the Sound-experts settings?
post #8694 of 8728 Old 07-02-2020, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

So, no problems with installing this firmware via USB? I have done it with LG TVs in the past, but have not tried it with my Samsung. Any tips or things I should be aware of?

Thanks. . .
post #8695 of 8728 Old 07-02-2020, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005 View Post
So, no problems with installing this firmware via USB? I have done it with LG TVs in the past, but have not tried it with my Samsung. Any tips or things I should be aware of?

Thanks. . .
Updates for the Q90 have always been odd. On their USA website 1356 never showed up, 1351 is still there. Sometimes I could update on line, other times I had to go with USB. Historically there has been no consistent pattern to rely on.
post #8696 of 8728 Old 07-02-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005 View Post
Quote:

Thanks. . .
No, I have never had an issue using a USB device to upgrade firmware. Just download the zip, and unzip it on your computer, making sure it keeps the same name as the zip file. Then just copy the unzip folder to the root of the drive.

After that just run the software update in the support section, and when it asks to scan the external device for updates, select yes.
Terminader likes this.
post #8697 of 8728 Old 07-02-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Quote:

I don't see a pass through setting in the Sound Expert section
post #8698 of 8728 Old 07-02-2020, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Is this firmware update available in Europe as well? I tried to update using a USB, but it did not work.
post #8699 of 8728 Old 07-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin33 View Post
Is this firmware update available in Europe as well? I tried to update using a USB, but it did not work.
The Korean firmware is interchangeable with USA, it won't work with UK because of different model
post #8700 of 8728 Old 07-02-2020, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
No, I have never had an issue using a USB device to upgrade firmware. Just download the zip, and unzip it on your computer, making sure it keeps the same name as the zip file. Then just copy the unzip folder to the root of the drive.

After that just run the software update in the support section, and when it asks to scan the external device for updates, select yes.

OK, dumb question: how (or where) do I insert a USB drive into a Q90R?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page