2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4965Likes

post #121 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked: 3586

this is the 2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread

going forward, if you are not an owner, or interested in becoming one, then consider posting elsewhere
EDJK and plamen80 like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
Heh..should re-read what I wrote I edited it for clarity just in case.

I own LCD and OLED.. my point was that the OLED folks seem to feel that people choosing LCD over OLED somehow diminishes their purchase.

Anyway, enough derailing. Bring on the Q90R owner reviews!
I'm hoping to hear from some owners today.
js950 likes this.
post #123 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
Heh..should re-read what I wrote I edited it for clarity just in case.

I own LCD and OLED.. my point was that the OLED folks seem to feel that people choosing LCD over OLED somehow diminishes their purchase.

Anyway, enough derailing. Bring on the Q90R owner reviews!

no worries. I’m just angry my tv not here yet. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Look forward to reading your thoughts!

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #125 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
The early reviewers apparently all reviewed the same cherry picked set (one single TV made available to all). I really want this to be an amazing TV and look forward to more reviews, especially by these new owners.

I am concerned over reliability as my last two Samsungs failed inside of 24 months but after the warranty in a manner consistent with many others, so that scares me as well. I am also concerned over motion handling. But this TV has the potential for me to give Samsung another chance depending on what they see.

It doesn't make sense that they all reviewed the same TV considering one reviewer said movie mode was 1700 nits and one said it was 1400. Surely it would be the same result. Passing only 1 TV around allowing each reviewer to keep it two weeks doesn't seem like a very efficient way. They might have been cherry picked panels but it was most likely a couple of different ones.
post #126 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezlar View Post
no worries. I’m just angry my tv not here yet. Lol

At least you guys can purchase it In the UK these tv's are no where to be seen yet and not even on the Samsung website.
post #127 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsonia View Post
It doesn't make sense that they all reviewed the same TV considering one reviewer said movie mode was 1700 nits and one said it was 1400. Surely it would be the same result. Passing only 1 TV around allowing each reviewer to keep it two weeks doesn't seem like a very efficient way. They might have been cherry picked panels but it was most likely a couple of different ones.

It was in one of the other threads that @imagic said they all reviewed the same set. Maybe I misunderstood. Will try to find it.

EDIT: This is the link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57672554

Last edited by Coercion Shaman; 03-06-2019 at 09:04 AM.
post #128 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Owner opinions for q90r would also be better to evaluate few months after launch, not right away. Because with a new purchase, most people are blown away. Then in a few months after the sheen comes off and they discover problems underneath it, the opinion change. There were many q9fn owners last year blown away by the tv when they just received it, few months after launch the complaints about fald dimming algorithm issues and dse began to show up. Better to evaluate user opinions after the honeymoon period is over.
The pace of events over in the UK we will be lucky to be even able to buy one in a couple of months ... we have no pricing , release date , or so much as a pic of the 2019 QLEDS on the Samsung website... so apart from the highest prices we are also last in the queue .
post #129 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7023 Post(s)
Liked: 7046
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Multiple amount of people who owned both 65" and 75" side by side said the 75" was vastly superior. Would've been interesting to see what David Katzmeier would have to say if he had a 65" plagued with heavy DSE.
Hopefully this year they are the same......

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to purchase the Q90 in 75 inches. I usually buy at Bestbuy. Are we aware of any current deals on it?
That will not happen for some time to come, at least a Samsung sponsored sale. Now you always will have the dealers who sell at MSRP and some that sell at street price.
post #130 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 09:28 AM

Liked: 22
My 65Q90R arrived on Monday afternoon.

And I just initiated the return...

Why? Well, unfortunately because of the level of dirty screen effect and vertical banding. Now to be fair, both were not as bad as they were on the two 75Q9FNs I tried and ultimately returned last year. But I'm not sure how much that's saying, since it went from severe on the Q9FNs to only slightly less severe on the Q90R--to my eyes at least. As always, your mileage may vary, depending on how sensitive you are to DSE and VB, and how much you're willing to live with to simply enjoy your TV. But, based on my small sample size of one, it appears that Samsung has not taken the proper steps to seriously address these issues for their 2019 flagship TV. Or, possible but unlikely, they're unable to...

Side note: I pre-ordered the set from Samsung Direct. It was an AAO1 panel. Last year, I ordered the first Q9FN from Greentoe/Beach Camera and the replacement unit came directly from Samsung.

A few other observations:

- The new wide angle viewing tech was very impressive. However, and it's a big however because I don't know how much (if at all) the issue is related to the new filter and how light is being scattered across the panel, but on some bright solid colored backgrounds, if I looked carefully, I could actually see the grid of LEDs in the unit. I first noticed this when I was simply going through the settings menu--as the default color is a very light gray. Just to reiterate, I don't know if this issue is related to the wide angle tech. It could be caused by something else entirely, or I could have just simply had a defective panel...but the issue was there. And as is often the case, once I saw it, I could not unsee it.

- The "Q90R Blooming Exposed" video on YouTube did not match my experience with the unit--at all. The black levels and lack of blooming were equal to, if not slightly better, than the Q9FN.

- I am not a professional calibrator, and haven't spent much time dialing the unit in (because the DSE and VB were enough for me to throw in the towel), but in HDR content (4k Blu-rays, PS4 games, Apple TV 4k streaming), the brightness and colors didn't feel quite as impactful for me as they did viewing the same HDR content on the Q9FN. I usually spend most of my time adjusting settings for the standard and movie modes. (And it's certainly possibly that it wasn't as impactful because I was watching on a 65in, versus the 75in from last year, but I don't know how much I believe that.)

- What John Archer said about shadow detail in his "Samsung QN65Q90R Review: Tearing Up The LCD Rule Book" review closely matched my experience. TL; DL - There are issues with a loss of shadow detail in some of the unit's image presets, but there are workarounds.

- The operating system runs much faster than it did on the Q9FN. It was very noticeable, and a welcome upgrade.

If you guys have any other questions, just let me know. Hopefully, Samsung will eventually take these issues (particularly DSE) a little more seriously in future models. Or maybe one day I'll finally learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.

ONE FINAL NOTE: In addition to testing input lag, I think it would really help for tv reviewers (not to mention engineers) to include tests of actual gaming units in their review methodology. For example, if you really want to see how bad DSE is on a particular set--in a real world use case--all you need to do is hook up a Nintendo Switch and boot up Mario Odyssey. To me, it's far more illuminating than even testing hockey, football, or soccer.
fafrd, js950, Gillietalls and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Mike_Klimo; 03-06-2019 at 10:22 AM.
post #131 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 322
At what distance did you unsee the grid? I know it's difficult to unsee something even when it happens, LOL. Could be something like the edges of a prism.
Sorry to hear about your DSE.
post #132 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Klimo View Post

Why? Well, unfortunately because of the level of dirty screen effect and vertical banding. Now to be fair, both were not as bad as they were on the two 75Q9FNs I tried and ultimately returned last year. But I'm not sure how much that's saying, since it went from severe on the Q9FNs to only slightly less severe on the Q90R--to my eyes at least. As always, your mileage may vary, depending on how sensitive you are to DSE and VB, and how much you're willing to live with to simply enjoy your TV. But, based on my small sample size of one, it appears that Samsung has not taken the proper steps to seriously address these issues for their 2019 flagship TV. Or, possible but unlikely, they're unable to...

Side note: I pre-ordered the set from Samsung Direct. It was an AAO1 panel. Last year, I ordered the first Q9FN from Greentoe/Beach Camera and the replacement unit came directly from Samsung.

- The new wide angle viewing tech was very impressive. However, and it's a big however because I don't know how much (if at all) the issue is related to the new filter and how light is being scattered across the panel, but on some bright solid colored backgrounds, if I looked carefully, I could actually see the grid of LEDs in the unit. I first noticed this when I was simply going through the settings menu--as the default color is a very light gray. Just to reiterate, I don't know if this issue is related to the wide angle tech. It could be caused by something else entirely, or I could have just simply had a defective panel...but the issue was there. And as is often the case, once I saw it, I could not unsee it.

- The "Q90R Blooming Exposed" video on YouTube did not match my experience with the unit--at all. The black levels and lack of blooming were equal to, if not slightly better, than the Q9FN.

- I am not a professional calibrator, and haven't spent much time dialing the unit in (because the DSE and VB were enough for me to throw in the towel), but in HDR content (4k Blu-rays, PS4 games, Apple TV 4k streaming), the brightness and colors didn't feel quite as impactful for me as they did viewing the same HDR content on the Q9FN. I usually spend most of my time adjusting settings for the standard and movie modes. (And it's certainly possibly that it wasn't as impactful because I was watching on a 65in, versus the 75in from last year, but I don't know how much I believe that.)

- What John Archer said about shadow detail in his "Samsung QN65Q90R Review: Tearing Up The LCD Rule Book" review closely matched my experience. TL; DL - There are issues with a loss of shadow detail in some of the unit's image presets, but there are workarounds.

- The operating system runs much faster than it did on the Q9FN. It was very noticeable, and a welcome upgrade.

If you guys have any other questions, just let me know. Hopefully, Samsung will eventually take these issues (particularly DSE) a little more seriously in future models. Or maybe one day I'll finally learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.
So, from the sounds of it - might not be worth upgrading from the Q9FN. Seems like brightness and color take a bit of a hit to be able to get those wider viewing angles. I love the punchiness of the Q9FNs colors and brightness, and while some of the black level detail being lost is a thing, it hasnt ruined my viewing experience (although if I paid full price, I may have been miffed about it).
srkmish and Mike_Klimo like this.
post #133 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:

Thank you, for your honest impressions. Any other TVs on your short list or did you return for another Q90R?

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #134 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 232
Quote:

That is disappointing. Here I was only worried about the motion handling. We shall see if others have the same experience.
post #135 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 09:59 AM

Liked: 121
Very disappointing to hear.
Mike_Klimo likes this.
post #136 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
It didn't make it to the shootout, the point being that a more expensive samsung flagship tv beating a relatively 'non videophile' budget brand like vizio isn't saying much. let's see samsung beating sony , panasonic or lg flagships.
Soo you mean it didn't qualify? Why bring it up in an owners thread? It was obvious that it doesn't belong in the top 4. Last time i checked this is not a *should i get a q9fn, or does the vizio have better price performance ratio?" thread.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #137 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
At what distance did you unsee the grid? I know it's difficult to unsee something even when it happens, LOL. Could be something like the edges of a prism.
Sorry to hear about your DSE.
I didn't really experiment and sit farther back to try to unsee the grid. I sat approximately 7-10 feet away (at the farthest). But I could definitely see clearly defined circular shapes forming a grid pattern (i.e., small LED lights). They were visible enough for me to even count 16 circles going up and down the unit, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is the number of vertical zones. 16 vertical x 30 horizontal = 480. As I type this, I suddenly feel like I'm in a TCL thread...
Cuthalu and Antarius like this.
post #138 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
But the Samsung did score 1st in upscaling tho (tho people who love citing the shootout always leave that part out). People who were there said the Q9FN was doing good until the dark scene of Harry Potter came up, then it was downhill. But that type of over agressive dimming is easily defeatable with minor tweaks, but weren't allowed for the shootout.

75Q9FN* Panny UB820 fed into Oppo203*Denon X4200 * S9+*
Yes indeed it won the upscaling category in the shootout and that's important for many people. I have friends that watch nothing but cable TV and don't care about 4k/Hdr and love overexaggerated color and love watching TV with the lights on and wouldn't hesitate recommending a Samsung to them if they could fix the damn dse. Why some people here feel the need to push their "my tv is better than yours for the price" agenda on here is annoying. Different people have different needs from a tv.

post #139 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Thank you, for your honest impressions. Any other TVs on your short list or did you return for another Q90R?
No, I'm not going to try another Q90R--or any other Samsung unit for that matter. At least not for the foreseeable future. I feel like I've given them enough chances. And their customer service is so poor, that last year I ended up having to write directly to the office of the president to resolve my situation.

Maybe I'll give the LG C9 a try. I can usually live with some banding...but I'm just extremely sensitive to DSE. And if that doesn't work, maybe I'll just buy a middle of the road Sony (x950G, or hell, even the slightly disappointing Z9F) and call it a day.
post #140 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:

Very disappointing. DSE and banding can effect all tv models and technologies. But I was hoping maybe this one would set a new standard in that regard. Thank you for your quick report Mike.
Mike_Klimo likes this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #141 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
No, I'm not going to try another Q90R--or any other Samsung unit for that matter. At least not for the foreseeable future. I feel like I've given them enough chances. And their customer service is so poor, that last year I ended up having to write directly to the office of the president to resolve my situation.

Maybe I'll give the LG C9 a try. I can usually live with some banding...but I'm just extremely sensitive to DSE. And if that doesn't work, maybe I'll just buy a middle of the road Sony (x950G, or hell, even the slightly disappointing Z9F) and call it a day.
I have had a Z9F for 2 weeks and it's fabulous. I have none of the blooming. Shadow detail blows away the Samsung QFN9. Blacks are all I need. Upscaling is terrific with the new chip. Best of all is the off axis viewing at 30* is better than any LCD I have seen.
gtbdevs, JoelArt, srkmish and 1 others like this.
post #142 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 10:24 AM

Liked: 8
Quote:

Thanks for sharing your experience of the Q90R .. though the end result was the need to return .. i completely understand why you felt the need to return.. i would ... i could not put up with one let alone 2 issues DSE and V Banding nightmare... my main viewing is Football (soccer) and they would show big time.

Will you try another or are you done , if you try another i hope you get a issue free one next time.
post #143 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah DSE and banding can certainly effect all models. Seeing the LED's though would certainly not be good. I had no issue with that on the Q9FN and Q900 so I hope they haven't changed things too much that has resulted in that. Only time will tell when we have more owners.
Mike_Klimo likes this.
post #144 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

ONE FINAL NOTE: In addition to testing input lag, I think it would really help for tv reviewers (not to mention engineers) to include tests of actual gaming units in their review methodology. For example, if you really want to see how bad DSE is on a particular set--in a real world use case--all you need to do is hook up a Nintendo Switch and boot up Mario Odyssey. To me, it's far more illuminating than even testing hockey, football, or soccer.
Dse still being present on the q90r is a major dissapointment. How are the vertical viewing angles? Sitting even an inch or two higher or lower on the q9fn washes out either the top or bottom black bar.

Mike_Klimo likes this.
post #145 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:

From what I remember of the Forbes review, and possibly one other, it was stated that the movie/cinema mode, I believe, was dimmer and less dynamic than the standard mode, but that Standard crushed shadow detail, so there were tradeoffs. Perhaps you were using movie/cinema, and that's why you felt it was not as "impactful" as your Q9FN? Maybe try Standard, if that's the case. If you still have the set, that is. Just a suggestion.
Mike_Klimo likes this.

post #146 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Soo you mean it didn't qualify? Why bring it up in an owners thread? It was obvious that it doesn't belong in the top 4. Last time i checked this is not a *should i get a q9fn, or does the vizio have better price performance ratio?" thread.

Not to fuel an off topic debate. I have an LG OLED, but I'm very objective, and am considering OLED, the Q900R (really want HDMI 2.1, so probably not the Q90R) and the Z9G, for my next (most likely 8k) big screen upgrade, just for background.

The Q9FN may very well be a better TV than the Vizio, but Vizio's exclusion from the shootouts has more to do with VE not carrying the brand, than it does with it not qualifying to be worthy of inclusion.
Gillietalls likes this.

post #147 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:

I think everyone pretty much figured that...
Cuthalu and Mike_Klimo like this.

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #148 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezlar View Post
My tv faces 7 floor to ceiling windows. Your precious oled tech can not handle that. Once again I have never gone into any of the oled owners forums and posted one thing. Why because I don’t own one nor do I care how they spend their money.

I have a Sony z9d, it gets extremely bright. In dark scenes, if I don't close the blinds on the windows behind it, dark scenes reflect light just like any other LCD or OLED would. If you're that worried about reflections, you ought to get some curtains bruh...No tv can combat the reflections from 7 floor to ceiling windows...Literally one of the most pointless comments I've seen lately...
sd13, Latinoheat and Gillietalls like this.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #149 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
From what I remember of the Forbes review, and possibly one other, it was stated that the movie/cinema mode, I believe, was dimmer and less dynamic than the standard mode, but that Standard crushed shadow detail, so there were tradeoffs. Perhaps you were using movie/cinema, and that's why you felt it was not as "impactful" as your Q9FN? Maybe try Standard, if that's the case. If you still have the set, that is. Just a suggestion.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. When setting up HDR picture settings for the Q90R, I was going back and forth between both the standard and movie modes. Even in the standard mode, I felt that highlights weren't as intense, and the colors weren't as rich--when compared to the same HDR content on the Q9FN.
Stuntman_Mike likes this.
post #150 of 7412 Old 03-06-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Dse still being present on the q90r is a major dissapointment. How are the vertical viewing angles? Sitting even an inch or two higher or lower on the q9fn washes out either the top or bottom black bar.

I felt the vertical viewing angles were very much improved.
sd13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page