2019 Samsung Q90R Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4805Likes

post #1561 of 7004 Old 03-31-2019, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
I haven’t tested the current generation of Yamaha AVRs, but the 2017 unit I own worked well with the Q90R’s three predecessors. ARC behaved reliably, and I never experienced any dropouts or other glitches those TVs.
The problem is, the avr has no issues with my other TV's. Doesn't that mean that the fault lies with Samsung? Isn't it their responsibility to get it to work? If my receiver is fine, it's an outright sin to have to purchase a whole new avr in order to get this TV to work properly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Mikejl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 7004 Old 03-31-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
The problem is, the avr has no issues with my other TV's. Doesn't that mean that the fault lies with Samsung? Isn't it their responsibility to get it to work? If my receiver is fine, it's an outright sin to have to purchase a whole new avr in order to get this TV to work properly.

With my Q9fn, I brought a brand new Onkyo. Had issues with Arc from the start. Onkyo pointed at Samsung. Samsung pointed at Onkyo. I settled with a Sony. I agree with Rudy and his suggestion just to document via chat. I plan on doing that if there are issues tomorrow with my Q90 should it arrive on time.

On another topic, does anyone have any suggestions of 2 or so shows on Netflix, CBS all access, youtubetv, or Amazon and a specific scene to compare my 75"q9fn with my 82"q90? I'm not technically savvy enough to get into the weeds like some of you, but I'd like to do some objective comparing using my eyes
sd13 likes this.
post #1563 of 7004 Old 03-31-2019, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
With my Q9fn, I brought a brand new Onkyo. Had issues with Arc from the start. Onkyo pointed at Samsung. Samsung pointed at Onkyo. I settled with a Sony. I agree with Rudy and his suggestion just to document via chat. I plan on doing that if there are issues tomorrow with my Q90 should it arrive on time.

On another topic, does anyone have any suggestions of 2 or so shows on Netflix, CBS all access, youtubetv, or Amazon and a specific scene to compare my 75"q9fn with my 82"q90? I'm not technically savvy enough to get into the weeds like some of you, but I'd like to do some objective comparing using my eyes
This was very helpful. Thanks. I had issues on 2 of my q9fn. On one of them they swapped my ocb twice and still didn't fix it. Swapped the whole tv and the new one worked perfectly with the receiver. The last q9fn that I got had no issues with with this same receiver either. So maybe it's not even the ocb and maybe the actual tv itself. Assuming that pioneer has the same troubles as onkyo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
This was very helpful. Thanks. I had issues on 2 of my q9fn. On one of them they swapped my ocb twice and still didn't fix it. Swapped the whole tv and the new one worked perfectly with the receiver. The last q9fn that I got had no issues with with this same receiver either. So maybe it's not even the ocb and maybe the actual tv itself. Assuming that pioneer has the same troubles as onkyo.

Each manufacturer is free to implement the features of the ARC and HDMI/CEC spec as they deem appropriate, especially when it comes to equipment not carrying their brand/logo. In my personal experience, SONY is the one manufacturer that has “gotten it right” over the years with HDMI/CEC & ARC; however, even with them the best performance can only be achieved within the Bravia ecosystem. Once you introduce products from a competing brand, all bets are off.

Every attempt I’ve made to integrate displays, audio equipment, and peripherals from different brands through HDMI/CEC has had issues...especially where ARC functionality is concerned...so I don’t use it because I don’t have to. If you absolutely must have that functionality in your home entertainment, you may want to investigate possible options from other manufacturers. According to media reports, both LG and SONY have displays with eARC functionality, and AVRs from both DENON and SONY do as well. As I’m sure you’re aware, eARC gives you access to lossless audio without having to rely on HDMI/CEC.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #1565 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6847 Post(s)
Liked: 6843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
The premise of the so-called NO GAP WALL MOUNT is based on the erroneous assumption by designers that all vertical surfaces are completely flat. All you need to shatter this myth is a slightly warped TV frame and/or a wall with otherwise imperceptible surface imperfections. The only display I have seen that lays flat against a wall is LG’s Wallpaper OLED, and even they had to resort to magnets to achieve the illusion of a screen laying flat against a wall.
No question about that, no such thing as no gap......
Terminader likes this.
post #1566 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 226
To the owners - what's your opinion on the anti-reflective coating? I'm considering between this and E9, but the location where I plan to keep the tv is next to window. On sunny mornings, I can see blind reflections on my current LG OLED.

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
post #1567 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post

There was one scene in Jessica Jones on Netflix that gave the FALD on my Q9FN huge fits. The brightness fluctuations with camera changes from one character to the other were bad. I will try to locate that scene and report back when I get home tonight. I would love to know if the Q90 handles this scene any better than the Q9FN did.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #1568 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tripod (studio) stand?

Does anyone know if Samsung Studio Stand (the tripod) will work on Q90R?

I suspect not, based on the photos of the stand.

I really like the studio stand. But it appears Samsung has not released any new accessories for the 2019 series.
post #1569 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

I agree and believe the fault lies with Samsung. You may be able to fix it with a different brand of receiver, but that is not the answer. Samsung needs to step up and fix this, especially since this doesn't look like a poor ARC implementation in your case.

I had no ARC issues with my old TV after Onkyo replaced my old TX-NR818 with the TX-RZ920 for a reduced price though their Special Service Program for Loss of Audio/Network Connection. This program was put into place because of their defective HDMI boards going bad after a few years and audio would start getting dropped.

Are you losing audio only? Video only? Both audio and video.

You're not using ARC so that throws a new variable into the problem that some of us others are having. If you're getting video dropped along with audio, that may mean it's more than just a drivers issue. We could add the mainboard in the TV to the list of possible culprits along with the OCB or software bug.

It may not be until enough of us complain to Samsung before they do something about this.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
post #1570 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
I agree and believe the fault lies with Samsung. You may be able to fix it with a different brand of receiver, but that is not the answer. Samsung needs to step up and fix this, especially since this doesn't look like a poor ARC implementation in your case.

I had no ARC issues with my old TV after Onkyo replaced my old TX-NR818 with the TX-RZ920 for a reduced price though their Special Service Program for Loss of Audio/Network Connection. This program was put into place because of their defective HDMI boards going bad after a few years and audio would start getting dropped.

Are you losing audio only? Video only? Both audio and video.

You're not using ARC so that throws a new variable into the problem that some of us others are having. If you're getting video dropped along with audio, that may mean it's more than just a drivers issue. We could add the mainboard in the TV to the list of possible culprits along with the OCB or software bug.

It may not be until enough of us complain to Samsung before they do something about this.
The only reason I'm not using arc is because I have a Bose sound bar. No extra advantage for me to use HDMI instead if optical. This is another reason why I don't want to change my receiver.

post #1571 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Received my 65” Q90 last week and got it set up over the weekend. AA01 panel direct from Samsung. Coming from an LG B6 (serious burn in issues).

Just wanted to confirm what most of the owners have already reported. So far I’m extremely impressed. The picture is fantastic. No significant DSE. No blooming. Blacks are great and 4K content is exceptional. I’m having no issues with the up-scaling and, for the most part, HD content through DirecTV looks very good. I have a brightly lit room with a lot of windows and very impressed with how the unit performs. Off angle viewing is as good as others have said. I have the TV mounted above a fireplace and am very pleased with the vertical angle viewing as well. I thought I might miss having DV but the HDR content I have watched so far has looked just as good if not better on this unit. So far, really happy with the purchase. Still tweaking some settings and looking forward to seeing what settings other owners land on.

Thank you for everyone’s input. Helped my buying decision and very pleased so far.
StevieG, Mikejl, bslep and 9 others like this.
post #1572 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazri01 View Post
Received my 65” Q90 last week and got it set up over the weekend. AA01 panel direct from Samsung. Coming from an LG B6 (serious burn in issues).

Just wanted to confirm what most of the owners have already reported. So far I’m extremely impressed. The picture is fantastic. No significant DSE. No blooming. Blacks are great and 4K content is exceptional. I’m having no issues with the up-scaling and, for the most part, HD content through DirecTV looks very good. I have a brightly lit room with a lot of windows and very impressed with how the unit performs. Off angle viewing is as good as others have said. I have the TV mounted above a fireplace and am very pleased with the vertical angle viewing as well. I thought I might miss having DV but the HDR content I have watched so far has looked just as good if not better on this unit. So far, really happy with the purchase. Still tweaking some settings and looking forward to seeing what settings other owners land on.

Thank you for everyone’s input. Helped my buying decision and very pleased so far.
Thanks for your feedback and congrats on your purchase. I think you might be the first one that mentioned the vertical viewing. That's great.
Lyner likes this.
post #1573 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well my 75 Q90 finally arrived today, 3 hours before scheduled. Box is in perfect condition, so hopefully that means the TV inside is too. Gonna install it tonight and watch Aquaman on Friday night.

Now I just need a good soundbar.
Mikejl, bslep, Terminader and 2 others like this.
post #1574 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzyx View Post
Well my 75 Q90 finally arrived today, 3 hours before scheduled. Box is in perfect condition, so hopefully that means the TV inside is too. Gonna install it tonight and watch Aquaman on Friday night.

Now I just need a good soundbar.

The new 2019 matching Samsung Q90R 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS:X soundbar...

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #1575 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:
I thought I might miss having DV but the HDR content I have watched so far has looked just as good if not better on this unit.

You think Samsung HRD10/+ looks "as good if not better" than Dolby Vision

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #1576 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 64
My 75" was just delivered, but I haven't been able to do anything with it yet. It is just sitting on the stand as I was able to work from home today in order to be here when it came. I will be able to play with it in a few hours, but just wanted to say that the AGS guys were on time(actually a little early) and were professional. I know some have concerns about them, but I have no complaints.
Terminader and South Park like this.
post #1577 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Motion is very similar to my q9fn. Most people prefer Sony motion. I'm not that sensitive for motion so that is a trade-off I accept. Overall I think it does a good job for motion but if you're super sensitive to motion and not a fan of soe you will still prefer Sony in this department.

I just want to take a moment to say I appreciate your honesty with this comment. I've been following this thread as I'm in the market for an 80"+ TV and I've narrowed it down to the 85" Sony X900F and the 82" Q90R once available (or more likely once the price drops later this year). The majority of what I've read concerning specs and user testimonials is positive for this new Samsung. However, the SOE is something I'm very sensitive to and I'd hate to drop this kind of money for a TV that has it. I know you are extremely happy with the Q90R and I agree that certain "information" from others who don't even own the set helps nobody. Motion handling was really the only "?" I had concerning the Samsung and your info definitely helps in my decision making process.
bslep and Lyner like this.
post #1578 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

How to perform in a dark room for you
post #1579 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I need some help guys. Anyone using an AV receiver with this set for over a week, has multiple devices/sources connected to it, and has zero issues with arc and handshaking, can you please share the brand and model number with me? I would greatly appreciate it.

Terminader likes this.
post #1580 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
You think Samsung HRD10/+ looks "as good if not better" than Dolby Vision
Yes, to my admittedly untrained eye, the HDR on this unit looks as good to me as DV on my B6. Personal opinion. Nothing scientific to base it on.
Rudy1, Mikejl, HT_Lover and 2 others like this.
post #1581 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

play any games on it (in game mode) ?
post #1582 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I need some help guys. Anyone using an AV receiver with this set for over a week, has multiple devices/sources connected to it, and has zero issues with arc and handshaking, can you please share the brand and model number with me? I would greatly appreciate it.

I am about to hook my receiver up and will have multiple sources connecting to the AVR. I have a Denon 4500H, so hopefully I won't have any issues. I will let you know.
sd13 and Lyner like this.
post #1583 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
The new 2019 matching Samsung Q90R 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS:X soundbar...
I plan on doing this as well, BUT THERE IS NO RELEASE DATE.
New24K likes this.
post #1584 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Yes, to my admittedly untrained eye, the HDR on this unit looks as good to me as DV on my B6. Personal opinion. Nothing scientific to base it on.
Pardon my inexperience, but isn't the impact of DV and 10+ lessened by the more dynamic range the set can produce? Or another way to put it, Dynamic metadata exists to make content look great on devices with limited dynamic range. For example, on the Q90, any content mastered up to 2k nits should look as good or better in HDR10 vs. DV and HDR10+.

This is my understanding. Anyone a pro/enthusiast in that department? Also - I am extremely happy with HDR on this set. Mad Max fury road?yes please. Just incredible! Valerian? Boy oh boy that's beautiful high fantasy sci-fi.
Ted99 and mazri01 like this.
post #1585 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 1651
Quote:

I will be connecting my 82" this Friday to my Denon 720S that has been successfully and reliably connected to my 2016 KS8000 for almost three years.

I'll report back.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
Rudy1, sd13 and Sound & Vision like this.
post #1586 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 50
https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...-wmn-m22eb-za/

Can the 75 inch owners confirm this is the correct model for the TV? (No Gap Wall Mount)
post #1587 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:

With my Q9FN I also had issues. Denon said it was on Samsung, Samsung said it was on Denon. Denon did have a few firmware updates and so did Samsung and eventually my AVR and Samsung worked fine, but the first few months it would be hit and miss when it would work properly. Lot's of "no source found" issues. Same AVR worked fine on my ZD9, LG E7 etc... just something about the Samsung that does this. Too bad it is happening with the Q90 with you now.
Mikejl likes this.

-Hawkmoon
post #1588 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
With my Q9FN I also had issues. Denon said it was on Samsung, Samsung said it was on Denon. Denon did have a few firmware updates and so did Samsung and eventually my AVR and Samsung worked fine, but the first few months it would be hit and miss when it would work properly. Lot's of "no source found" issues. Same AVR worked fine on my ZD9, LG E7 etc... just something about the Samsung that does this. Too bad it is happening with the Q90 with you now.
I'm going through the same thing right now with my Pioneer vsxlx302. It would randomly stop working with my q90r and I have to hard reset the receiver every time that happens.

post #1589 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
I'm going through the same thing right now with my Pioneer vsxlx302. It would randomly stop working with my q90r and I have to hard reset the receiver every time that happens.

That is exactly what I had to do. Complete power down of the receiver and at times, unplugging power to the TV and then it would work for a bit. It was very odd and made no sense. I would go for weeks without issues and then all of a sudden it would return. As I mentioned after Samsung did a firmware or 2 update and also Denon they started working fine together and never had the issue again. I know it is frustrating, but hopefully Samsung will address it soon.
sd13 likes this.

-Hawkmoon
post #1590 of 7004 Old 04-01-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
That is exactly what I had to do. Complete power down of the receiver and at times, unplugging power to the TV and then it would work for a bit. It was very odd and made no sense. I would go for weeks without issues and then all of a sudden it would return. As I mentioned after Samsung did a firmware or 2 update and also Denon they started working fine together and never had the issue again. I know it is frustrating, but hopefully Samsung will address it soon.
My issue shows up randomly sometimes once a day, sometimes after a few days. Unplugging doesn't solve the issue when it occurs. The only fix is a hard reset on the receiver. The idiots at Samsung keep sending technicians over who have zero ability to fix the issue. They refuse to acknowledge the true root of the problem.

Mikejl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page